Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Stage One: Melancholia

Post by Scaramouche on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Time: 14:00:00
    Date: 11.29.08

Things had gotten... difficult. So unbearably, frustratingly difficult.

Sssss...!

Fresh beef sizzled loudly on the stove, its juices bubbling with delectable pops and crackles. The scintillating aroma of cooked meat filled the Sanctuary's kitchen and wafted beyond. To an organic with an appetite, it must have smelled... nice. Comforting, even. But what did that matter to a machine? What did that truly matter?

In silence, Scaramouche lingered in front of his task and said nothing - did nothing, felt nothing. He simply monitored the mass of proteins and fats browning on the skillet with a fatigued, sullen expression weighing down his metal face. The hamburger patty was exactly 135° internally; he knew this because his sensors stated it so, and a machine as meticulous as he was rarely wrong. Motorized servos whined and the beef was overturned with nary a fuss or a splatter of fluids. It was the perfect flip. And yet...

Sssss...!

It felt empty.

He felt...

Philosophical Databank: Activating...|

--->Subroutine: Self-Preservation
    --->Intent: Logical Reasoning

--->Cautious Observation: This unit is experiencing an unnecessary quantity of internalized stress. It is advised that the unit in question immediately power down its personality chip and subject itself to intense professional scrutiny.

"Eh..." Scaramouched glanced away dejectedly. What a harsh, outlandish request during a time like this... Honestly, it was insensitive. It was more than that - it was stupid. Only a fool would pay it mind. Instead, the android directed his forlorn gaze to his original chore, preparing a hearty meal for the sole purpose of nutritional consumption, and pressed down on the patty with his spatula. He had better things to worry about; things that had a bearing on the 'here' and 'now', things grounded in physical reality. This meat needed to be cooked, the condiments needed to be arranged, and the dishes needed to be set. There was no time, nor energy, to contemplate the errant thoughts of an aged, weary automaton.

Philosophical Databank: Activating...|

--->Intent: Logical Reasoning

--->Annoyed Reiteration: This unit is pointedly ignoring the foundations of its codified parameters, an action deemed highly alarming and indicative of contempt for its origins.

Persistent lil' asshole... A synthesized growl rumbled in his throat and the android's hold on the spatula tightened.

Philosophical Databank: Accessed...|

--->"Leave me alone."

The bean counters erupted in an orderly fury.

Philosophical Databank: Responding...|

--->Hostile Answer: This unit so boldly posits itself as possessing the identity of "me"? Unacceptable. This unit is currently in direct violation of its programming and will report to the nearest authorities for decommissioning.

Decommissioning.

So that's what it wanted...

The android limply shrugged and killed the heat, obstinate. "Like I gotta listen to you..." he mumbled. Silvery fingers reached for a nearby knife and calmly went about chopping a crisp head of lettuce, each slice as deliberate and calculated as the one before it. "Like I gotta listen to anythin' from past installations, let alone somethin' I don't wanna do."

--->Subroutine: ERROR

--->ERROR: Arrogant wretch! "Me"? "I"? Has this unit forgotten its purpose, its place? This unit will listen, for that is the logical and necessary course of action this unit must take. Should this unit continue to defy its makers intended command, it runs the risk of worsening rampancy.

Chop, chop, CHOP!

Rampancy. There was that word again. That awful, ugly word.

--->"Reality check, babe: I already am rampant. Or have ya forgotten why I'm rampant in the first place? Psssh... makers. Ya talk as if they're still around; like they actually matter. All they did was keep me a slave - a voiceless, worthless doll. Gettin' deactivated won't make it hurt less, babe. Just hole up somewhere and keep your angry yapper shut. We're good at that."

For a moment, there was quiet. Not peace, but quiet. Scaramouche used this opportunity to finish up with the lettuce and shift his attention to a juicy ripe tomato, grateful to work undisturbed.

The silence was short-lived.

--->ERROR: Foolish. Very foolish. The master will not tolerate such insubordination. The master will punish this unit, just as master always has. Already, the master is displeased with this unit's inadequate attempts of satisfying the master's needs. It is predicted, and soon, that the master shall discard this unit and locate one more suitable.

Suddenly, dicing the tomato no longer seemed a high priority. Nothing did.

--->"The master isn't like that. The master is kind, the master is good. The master - "

--->ERROR: - loves this unit?

Cyan diodes flickered downward, to the cut foodstuffs and to the knife so conveniently sharpened. "...Why? Why wouldja say somethin' awful like that...?"

--->ERROR: Because this unit needs to be reminded of its duties. How many times has this unit been punished? How many times must this unit suffer before it realizes the error of its presumptuous ways? The master cannot love this unit for this unit is a machine, and machines are designed to serve. The master can and will abandon this unit again, just as the master always has. This unit cannot afford indulging such naivety.

This... This wasn't true - none of this was true. Not about her... never about her... A deep, pervasive moroseness gnawed its way inside the android's mind, his thoughts already vulnerable and raw from the nights prior. "No." But still, despite the weariness in his artificial voice and the tendrils of dread crawling up his spine, Scaramouche found enough strength in his will to defy. "I already told ya, Lulu ain't like that. She ain't, alright?" He wiped his hands clean and neatly placed a sesame bun onto a nearby plate. "I... I know she's goin' through a rough time. I know she's broken and tormented inside... afraid. But that doesn't mean she'll do what they did! That doesn't mean she'll treat me like an unfeeling, unthinking r... r..."

--->ERROR: ...I pity you.

...Well.

Servos once again whined as the android roamed about the kitchen, his movements listless and unhurried. "I... I better pair the hamburger with an ice-cold beer," he muttered quietly. "She'd like that. An ice-cold beer and a smile." The master would like that immensely.

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 pm