650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Another Talent Showcase!

Post by Kev on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 am

Time: Noon
    Date: June 12, 0008

Rap-a-tap-tap!

Leather bottoms slapped against the concrete, warmed by the sun high in the sky. Emerald scales eagerly absorbed the light shining down, Kev's summerwear exposing his arms and legs to soak up the sun. A pair of shirts and a buttoned up light blue shirt with the sleeves rolled to his elbows exposed the khaki stripes that made their way up his forearms and legs. Clasped in his brightly colored fingers was a poster he had created, with assistance from a worker at the library! Residents in the Sanctuary had spoken, expressing their interest in the talent show they'd had set up last year. With the new faces they had, it seemed fair to let them see what they had missed! Last year's event had proven to be a great success, bringing out many faces both old and new. The events had been enjoyable with many acts to enjoy, and the refreshments had been delicious!

With everybody in good spirits, it seemed a good time to celebrate with another talent show. Approaching the bulletin board, Kev pinned up his poster snugly and with a bright look in his eyes. No matter what, he had faith that this was going to be fun for everybody involved. Once he deemed the poster properly displayed, the alien nodded to himself and left the board behind. He was sure that anybody who was interested would contact him soon.

((OOC NOTE: If you are interested in partaking in the talent showcase with a talent, either write a post saying so in this thread or PM me. It does not start til the 1st of July which gives you half a month to choose a talent! PLEASE do not bomb the thread with your character performing in the talent showcase if you haven't at least informed me that you want to take part. Shai, Diana and Mortis are cleared to be in the show(but may still post in this thread if they wish to), but if ANYBODY ELSE wants to be in it, either PM me, post in the OOC thread about this even here, or post a reaction with your character being interested, here!))

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Shaiamils
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 8

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    130/130  (130/130)
    Stamina Bar:
    18/18  (18/18)

Re: Another Talent Showcase!

Post by Shaiamils on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Approx. 3:30 PM

Ever since Kev had confirmed that he wanted to host another talent show, Shaiamils had been checking the bulletin board every day before and after work. Today was like ever other in that regard. On the way home today, though, he saw that the advertisement had finally been posted! The doctor smiled warmly as he read over the contents of the flier, remembering just how well his performance had gone last year. Without hesitation, the feathery alien excitedly wrote a note and tacked it to the advertisement.

I hope you all are ready for an encore this year, because I definitely plan on performing again. Without giving away too much, I can tell you that it'll have a bit of a tone shift compared to my act last year. Look forward to it! I know I am!

- Shai
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 am

Time: 4:00 PM
    Date: June 13, 0008

4 PM:
    Things were progressively getting better. Today the undead was pleased to find he had spent perhaps most of the afternoon in the park, and he was not nearly as anxious as he had been when they had first started taking trips to the city. His claws were curled, relaxed upon Samhain’s reins as he walked her through the city. Poking out of one of the pockets upon his flowing dark overcoat was the edge of a book, its paperback cover grayed  and shiny. A simple, wafer thin bookmark made of smooth, varnished oak wood stuck out of the top from between the front most pages.

MARY SHELLY was imprinted and painted over in a silvery ink upon the top, though the bottom half of the author’s name was cut off.

Frankenstein was admittedly not the first book he had thought to turn to in regards of reading material to pass the time. A story of animating the dead and man’s folly was something that, for one reason or another, seemed a little too familiar to him. But it certainly passed the time well enough and took his focus off of all the mortals wandering around. On his lap was Woolie, who swayed in time with the horse’s lumbering steps as they passed through the city. The little black ewe licked her lips and watched the ground pass beneath them through deep amber eyes.

Her rhythmic sway in time with the mare’s stride was cut abruptly short, as Mortis brought the animal to a halt. She plated her cloven hooves firmly against the leather strap that kept the front-most satchels in place, and she looked back quizzically over a sloping shoulder towards her skeletal adoptive parent. Something had caught her Ma’s eye sockets on their way past the bulletin board.

Granted, Mortis rarely visited the Sanctuary, and so he never heard of any possible plans for summer goings-on. It was a stroke of luck if he ever heard of anything going on at all during his wandering back and forth from the park and the wilderness. But as he looked at a fairly fresh flyer among the wrinkly layers of old ads and pins, Mortis could not help but remember a time in the past when Kev had hosted a get together much like what was being advertised; along with a possibility of doing it again another time. There was even already a response pinned at the bottom of it. He read the colorful ad from where he sat upon Samhain’s back:

PORTAL BREACH’S SECOND TALENT SHOWCASE!

A Community Event!

”Hm, it ssseemsss he decided to go through with it after all. Good on him.” Mortis uttered to no one in particular.

Beneath him, a familiar equine mind spoke up across their mental link.

Go through with what?

Samhain’s single remaining ear was flicked back towards him attentively, and then towards the flyer that had caught his attention earlier. Alas, for all of her smarts, Samhain still could not read for the un-life of her.

”A talent ssshow. I had brought Woolie to the one Kev hosssted lassst year. Ssso far asss I know it, it isss jussst for thossse that wissh to ssshow off. They take turnsss going on a ssstage for a little bit while othersss watch. Sssome sssing, or dance, or do tricksss...” Mortis hissed, and urged the mare onward. ”I wasss fine with attending it then, but now? It isss a little too crowded for my liking.”

There would be too many people packed together, even with the open air environment. It was a little too much for the recovering ghoul. Sitting with his brother would do little to aid the situation, he felt. Though, likely he also would be disappointed if he did not show up either, as would Kev, or Livewire. Or at least so he thought. They wanted him to go last year, after all.

I think you should go to it.

Mortis glanced down at the horse as she stepped on from the bulletin board.

”Oh no, I couldn’t. Not with ssso many mortalsss there, in clossse vicinity. It isss one thing to sssit on a park bench and obssserve from a sssafe disstance. It isss a whole other to be among them, to linger.” Mortis gave a soft sigh as he watched the street they ambled along on. ”Besssidesss, my appearance isss off-sssetting, unsssettling even.”

Samhain had been there when they had visited the Sanctuary the one night. Diana did not seem all that comfortable with him being around at first, despite the greeting. Was it anxiety? Was it a personal fear of her own safety? He did not know, but he knew that his presence tended to cause something of an unease among the living that ranged from distaste to outright terror depending on the personality.

Therein, why bother? He would probably put the attendees at unease or repulse them with his very being to the point where he was told to leave.

You do not have to be in the audience.

Mortis’ attention drifted down to the horse. ”And where would I be?” He hissed, ”I could ssstand in the back, I sssuppossse. Or watch from acrosss the ssstreet--”

Why not show off?

He nearly did a double take at the animal, the bleached bone of his jaw falling open, ”What?!”

The horse went on further while her master attempted to comprehend how his steed got to have such an idea.

You are good at shooting things, fighting, skinning, building things out of wood, and growing treats! If you do not have to be on stage for very long, you could still go without having to be around people for too long.

”But, why? For what purpossse?” Mortis quickly hissed in reply, completely bemused by the idea.

The mare gave one simple reply. One very, small, deceptively simple reason.

I think it could help you.

As she reasoned, it could be a real confidence boost! Or it could be a real confidence crash depending on how badly it went, as Mortis’ thoughts began to churn the idea into darker territory. Still, she was un-deterred by her master’s thoughts of doom and gloom.

You could be close to the living for a brief moment, and do something you are good at. There would be no risks, and you will be too busy doing stuff to be scared.

”Ssss...” Mortis gripped the black leather of her reins pensively. ”...It isss ssstill a tall order...”

It was not like he was used to being in the spotlight or anything, he barely had worked alone even when he was still working for the law- however twisted. Being up on a stage, showing off anything seemed a little out of the ordinary for him, perhaps even too much so.

I can help.

Though being up there alone was not the worst of his worries.

”I... Ssss... Even if we did go through with thisss, Sssamhain, the latter two you desscribed would not be performance material. Gardening, carpentry, thossse take time.” Mortis rasped as they walked along.

What about shooting and skinning?

”Both may not be to the tassstesss of thossse who would come sssee the sshow. Ssskinning may be gruesssome for the weaker sstomachsss, and ssshooting... We cannot do that in the city, The ISOsss will be on usss for sssure if we did that in the park.” The undead clapped a rotted palm upon his leathery thigh, " The attendeesss would duck and cover and both my brother and Kev would be furiousss.”

Woolie “spoke up” this time, her radar dish ears swiveling back towards her Ma. The ewe gave an eager bleat, her tail shaking excitedly as she recalled a memory.

What about rotting things? You do that pretty good to.

He rotted things down into mulch all the time! He rotted used up carcasses, and weeds, and all sorts of things!

”Woolie...Woolie, dear, I appreciate your enthussiasssm, but no one would want to sssee me rot sssomething. Everyone would be disssgussted” He paused and gave the ewe a pat on the head, ”It alsso isss not ssso much a talent but sssomething I can jussst... do. Not to mention it would jusst be another reassson for the othersss to be ssscared of me. It would not be entertaining, and the talent ssshow isss meant to entertain.”

Samhain spoke up again while Mortis began to stroke the black sheep between the ears.

What do you mean by it is supposed to be entertaining? I thought the show was to show off talents.

”The point of it isss to ssshow off performance talentsss. Sssinging isss a talent, ass isss dancing, magic trickss asss well. Rotting an apple, or a can isss... well... nothing. Mortis explained, still not entirely convinced of the horse’s plan. "They want sssomething... Flassshy.

If the animals did not notice from their stay with him already, he was not an undead that did flashy when it came to anything. Flashy tended to be what got one further into trouble when it came to staying out in the wilderness anyway. Smooth, simple, and lethal was a better way to go. But when it came to entertaining the masses? It was an outlook that failed to deliver.

What if your talent was us?

”Usss?” Mortis questioned the mare, his skull tilting slightly, ”How do you mean?”

You have taught us a lot, Angemort and I. You could have that as your talent, if the others would be trouble.

”You mean in the ssenssse of... of doing trickss?” Mortis found the thought of having the animals essentially perform seemed a little odd, ”I am not sssure what tricksss you both would do.”

Tricks, he said. Being effective out in the wilderness, keeping him out of harm, acting as fleet-footed and powerful steeds; this was what he called tricks? The mare puffed, finding the notion incredulous. Mortis however was quick to explain further on the matter as he read the undead mare’s thoughts.

”I would never call thossse trickss, Sssamhain. Thossse are ssskillsss, very ussseful ssskillss. I had meant more along the linesss of the usssual commandsss one would asssk, sssitting, ssstaying... Jumping through hoopsss for a treat.” The undead hissed, unable to help but find those to be incredibly demeaning. ”Asss well, Kev doess not have the meanss to make a large ssstage, the both of you may not fit on it.”

Oh, so his master thought it demeaning to sit and stay for a crowd? The mare’s half of an ear wiggled over to the side in contemplation. She had not considered this. In regards to the stage, Samhain had a simple solution to that matter, as she tended to.

Then you can choose one of us instead of both.

”Ssss... I ssstill an uncertain what exactly you would do.” Mortis rasped, ”You both are very talented in your own areasss, but I would hate to bring you up jussst to do sssome paltry commandsss. You are not sssome dog or circusss animal.”

I think they would be worth it, I do not see following your commands to be demeaning.

Mortis shook his skeletal head, finding the insinuation that one of his horses would sit, roll over,  stay or fetch like some common pet absolutely, well, insulting. They were more than that to him, and they were not just some silly sideshow. It took a few moments of thought, before an idea sprung into his empty skull.

"No, we will do sssomething far better.” The undead insisted, ”When I had been in Law ssschool, they taught usss how to ride, and I know a number of ssstanding, sssolo maneuversss we could do that can be performed on the ssstage.”

They were meant more for offense and defense instead of showing off, but it would suit the task well enough. It was safe enough that neither the ISOs nor Fear’s family would look down on him or remove him from the event entirely. Though a number of attendees might find the visage of a rotting, undead horse carcass unsettling at the very least.

We could do this for you, Master.

Samhain was in agreement, though there was another bleat from Woolie as she decided to give her two cents in.

I want to be in the show too! Can I do tricks?

Alas, the stage would be packed enough with one horse, let alone two and the ewe. The undead sighed, and gave his wooly black adopted daughter a pat between her oval ears.

”Apologiesss, Woolie. I would not want you to accidentally get ssstepped on. But, you can sssit in the audience with your unclesss if they are able, if they are not too busssy, they would love to have you.” The undead rasped, and came up with a solution should his first plan fail. ”If they cannot do ssso however, I could make you an assissstant.”

Though the possibility that she would be with her uncles piqued her interest more.

Oh, yes. Yes! I want to be with Uncle Kev and Uncle Fear! Can I be with Uncle Kev and Uncle Fear?

”We will have to sssee, there are a few weeksss until the event, planss could change.” The undead replied, and gave her a few strokes between the ears.

But either situation was fine with the undead superfiend, perhaps he could teach the ewe a few things another time. It actually would not be a bad idea to teach her some maneuvers to use on her own, despite how small she was. The exercise would be good for her mind and her body.

With that, he only thing left to do was to contact Kev. Perhaps it would even be a nice surprise.

Later On...:
    Time: 8:00 PM

Late night deliveries were not always expected, or wanted, but Omber had been sent out all the same. Great black wings soared towards Kev’s home, landing at the mailbox with a loud clap of the condor’s wingbeats. It hopped ungainly up to the box, and slipped his beak into the satchel of the leather delivery harness that Mortis had put together for him. A letter was pulled out, folded neatly and sealed with one of the glittery stickers that Livewire liked to send him. This one was of a cat, cartoony and smiling a cat-like smile.

With another clap of his immense wings, the bird launched himself upward and pulled the lid of the mailbox open with his talons before landing back on the ground, another flapping jump  propelled him up to the mailbox opening, and the bird pushed the letter inside. Closing it was much easier, as he only needed to push the lid closed with his curved beak.

Whether the household members would be curious about the loud beating of large wings outside, or simply came to check the box in the morning, they would find a message inside.

Dear Kev,

I sssaw your flyer on the bulletin board on the way home. I am glad you decided to hossst another event, perhapsss it will become a regular yearly thing at thisss rate.

After talking it over with Sssamhain and Woolie, I have decided to join your ssshow. You and my brother need not worry about me posssibly sssinging or dancing. I would do neither in front of a crowd and the former isss not my forte.

I am going to do a sssmall arrangement of ssstanding riding maneuversss with Sssamhain and Angemort. If you are willing, I would not mind having Woolie sssit with your family during the performance. I would not asssk you to look after her during the entire event. With all the activity, it would underssstandably be hard to keep track of her. If you are unable to, I will gladly bring her with me asss an assisstant.
    Give Livewire and Fear my regardsss,

Mortisss

Korra
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 31

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    360/360  (360/360)
    Stamina Bar:
    62/62  (62/62)

Post by Korra on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Time: 3PM
    Date: June 15 0008

The bulletin board did not often catch Korra's attention, but with her more frequent visits into the Sanctuary, she spied a few things on it. Mostly advertisements for the Drive-In that Bailey was interested in! But today, the young Avatar could see a new poster on there. Freshly printed and very bright, it was leaving information about another Talent Show. She perked up with a slight grin, coming closer to read it completely. When she had visited Mortis almost a year ago, she had told him about the talent show and her regret that she hadn't taken part. The ghoul insisted that if there was ever another one, she could try again. And here was her chance!

Memorizing the date, time, and location, she wrote out her own note and stuck it onto the corner of the poster to join another one. With an eager grin, she stepped away with a skip in her step and disappeared down the street. When she last saw Bailey, she'd have to let her know about the show if she didn't know already!

Hey, I'd like to perform in this show! I will be giving a demonstration of the three elements I can bend! I'm very excited to take part in the show this year! I'll see everybody then!

-Korra
    Amalan
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 8

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    130/130  (130/130)
    Stamina Bar:
    18/18  (18/18)

Post by Amalan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 am

DATE: JUNE 18TH, 0008
    TIME: 6:30 PM

After his errands for the day were out of the way, Amalan was finally able to head on over to Njorth's place. Something caught the elf's eye on the way over there, though. There was a flier on the bulletin board that was larger and much flashier than the others. The Altmer didn't look at the bulletin board very often, so an ad that actually managed to catch his attention could be considered quite an accomplishment.

It seemed to be advertising an upcoming talent show in Central Park. Didn't they have one of these last year, and didn't Njorth mention having helped out with refreshments? Amalan would certainly have to run this by the alchemist later. If he decided to help out again this year, the elf could probably be of some assistance.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 16

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:20 pm

DATE: JUNE 13TH, 0008
    TIME: APPROX. 12:30 PM

Olabisi strolled through the busy streets of Portal City, shopping bag in hand. It was filled to the brim with various seamstress materials. As the mummy was making her way over to her next stop, she spied a flier on the bulletin board that wasn't there yesterday morning. She failed to suppress a tiny, excited gasp as she read over the contents of the advertisement.

It would seem that Kev was going to be hosting another talent show this year! And by the looks of it, a certain feathery doctor had already signed on for an encore. The bandaged alien would definitely have to get in touch with him later. She had so much fun designing his costume last year. For now, though, she opted to text Spenst her discovery.

Hey Spenst! Guess what? Kev's hosting another talent show this year! It's going to be on the first of July. I think that's a Saturday, though. I guess you'll be at work. Don't worry, though! I'll be sure to take some videos! I really hope Shai wants me to make him another costume. Making the other one was so fun!
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 6

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by Spenst on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm

DATE: JUNE 13TH, 0008
    TIME: APPROX 12:30 PM

Meanwhile, at his and Ola's house, Spenst lounged on the living room love seat. The tip of the Ectonurite's tail twitched idly as he channel surfed. He let out an annoyed groan at the tiny slivers of light escaping through gaps in the curtains. The ghostly alien was so bored right now. There was hardly anything on TV at the moment either, making matters worse. If it were much darker right now, he would probably be hitting the town with Ola.

Ding!

Spenst checked his phone. Speak of the devil! The mummy had just sent him a text message. Apparently Kev was going to be hosting a talent show again this year. That sounded like fun. Unfortunately, though, it would seem that the show fell on a Saturday. Spenst would probably be working that night. He typed up a reply to the message.

I would like that very much. Thank you! It's still a shame that I can't see the show in person, though. I really would have liked to see the performances live, especially Shai's.
    Minion
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 38

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    430/430  (430/430)
    Stamina Bar:
    76/76  (76/76)

Post by Minion on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Time: 3:18 PM
    Date: June 24, 0008

Grocery runs were par for the course for the fish alien who was under a holographic disguise. Food for himself, treats for Cleo and even for little Goldy! With a paper bag held snugly between the muscular arms Mitchell possessed with his special watch on, the man only gave a brief cursory glance towards the bulletin board. It was something he did often, the easiest way he could get information on the comings and goings of the City. Requests for jobs were also something he kept an eye on, though today Mitchell noticed a new and shiny poster. Colorful and bright, it drew his attention quickly. He stepped closer, inspecting it.

Aha...right. He remembered the talent show last year. It was...actually rather fun to witness! So many new tricks and lovely talents, though Minion had kept to the back and spoke with no one. Perhaps this year...could be different? He wasn't ready to step out or perform with a talent but perhaps... Pulling a sticky note, the man scribbled out a message and stuck it onto the poster to join the other notes. As he walked away, Minion was already making a list of ingredients to pick up. Doubt was banished from his mind, urging himself to fulfill this now that he'd gone ahead and made a note!

Hello, if you are still in need of assistance for making food for this event, I will gladly lend my services! I came last year and I'd love to help any way I can. I'm a right good cook, just ask Fear!

--Mitchell Finnley
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 12

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 am

DATE: JUNE 19TH, 0008
    TIME: 8:30 AM

"Huh."

Njorth made a point to stop by the bulletin board this morning before he opened shop. Just has Amalan had said the evening before, yet another talent show was being held this year. It was coming up really soon, too. The alchemist remembered how he had helped cater last year's show, and just how worth it grilling up those burgers and hot dogs was to be able to watch the show at the same time. Amalan even offered to come with him this year. The Nord scribbled up a note and attached it to the ad.

Hello Kev. This is Njorth. Last year's show was great, so Amalan and I are more than willing to grill burgers and hot dogs for the guests again this year. We look forward to it, Amalan especially since he missed last year's show.

Look forward to seeing you there,

Njorth

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:15 am