--------------------------------

#3 'Attack/Heal (51-55)' : 21, 44, 2, 12, 9, 1
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Re: Opportunities In Unlikely Places

Post by Universal NPC on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:47 am

It... It did not work. How did it not work? The car’s tires should not have been so well armored, much less be able to deflect the bullets that hit the rubber. Nick cursed under his breath s he brought an arm up to furtively shield himself from the ricocheting bullets that bounced his way. Lead embedded itself in the asphalt and the sidewalk’s concrete with a shrill metallic cry and a snap of splitting stone.

His partner was having the same problem, as he ducked against the door again as bullets were sent every which way from the car’s armored paneling. The glass, the metal, the tires... It seemed there was no part of this machine that was not fortified. Tony knew that they should have left the damn punk and his car alone, but did Nick listen? Of course not, he had to run out there to meet him with his pride out blowing in the wind. Now look where they were, Nick had a damn hole burned into his chest, and they were trying to shoot up a bullet-proof sports car! Their luck turned from bad to worse, as Tony tried to pull the trigger again and found it would not move.

Something was jamming up the mechanism, the gun refused to shoot for him. He cursed and slapped the side of the weapon against the palm of his hand, trying to free whatever was stuck. This was impossible, Tony thought. He had just used this a day ago, he cleaned it to a fastidious degree! How could it jam on him now?

Nick seemed to catch on, ”The fuck are ya doing?! Shoot this fucker!” He barked from where he was sprawled on the pavement, and hand moving to cover the burns on his chest.

Tony looked between him and the stubborn pistol in his hand; ”It... It’s jammed! It’s jammed!” He helplessly called back

There was an electronic snap and a flash of green; the working ability of his firearm was soon the furthest thing from both of their minds. A sharp, pained cry erupted from Nick’s throat as one beam managed to hit him square in the chest, knocking him back. He just registered the second beam graze harmlessly by just above his nose, and another stabbing, burning sensation as the third beam of green light seared a gash across his shoulder. There a sharp hiss and a crackle of cooking flesh, the stink rising to sting his nostrils as he rolled over onto his side. His vision blurred briefly, and he felt something warm and wet trickle down his cheek. Was it blood? No, it was crystal clear, colorless. Nick was crying.

”sonuvabitch...!” He spat, wrapping an arm around his charred chest as he rolled onto his knees. ”Tony!... Tony!”

The thug coughed and shakily got to his feet, his steps staggering from adrenaline as he nearly tripped while trying to run to his fellow gangmember. ”Tony...”

The aforementioned Tony looked over his friend in what scarce time he had. Smoke rose from his wounds, his shirt had been burned away -was still burning away, from the bright green light that had come out of the car. The sharp reek of cooking human flesh burned his nostrils and contorted his already horrified expression. He had never seen Nick messed up this bad, he never seen anyone burned like this-!

A hand clapped itself on his shoulder, leaving black, ashen smudges on the blue vinyl. God, that had been his skin...

”Tony, we... We gotta get out of here!” he urged, and managed to pull the other’s gaze from the smudged, blackened hand that was on his jacket. ”This fuckin’ thing’s made of invisible!”

He... he had to have meant invincible, but Nick’s lack of literacy was nowhere near the forefront of Tony’s mind. What was on his mind was that within a matter of seconds Nick had suffered two severe burns on his chest. The afflicted skin was black and cracked, like charcoal, he swore he saw it flare up and glow red when the air hit it. Was that him, was that the fabric of his shirt as it melted to his skin? The two were indiscernible from each other. Both just as easily made his stomach do flips.

”Y-yeah!” It sounded as if he was keeping himself from throwing up as he blurted that out.

There was no argument from him, as he tossed aside the jammed gun and wrapped his now free arm around Nick. Possessing the better set of legs between them, Tony nearly dragged Nick along as they both ran away from the storefront. Their shoes clapped harshly on the cold pavement, echoing off the buildings as they made their escape down the block. but,as Nick still possessed the working gun between their duo, he turned, swinging his arm behind him to shoot at the car one more time as they made their retreat.

Nick

HP: 350/175 -75
    Action: Shooting at KARR as they escape

Tony

HP: 350/350
    Action: Escaping! No attacks!

Fight Music:

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:47 am

The member 'Universal NPC' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

#1 'Coin Flip' :

--------------------------------

#2 'Attack/Heal (26-30)' : 27, 22, 25
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:28 am

”Wait... You want to kill them?” Leroy looked at the darkened lines of yellow LED’s in front of him, as if attempting to comprehend what he had heard in the AI’s voice.

The only confusion the AI held was why Leroy was so surprised, ”And you want them to live?” He retorted, incredulous with the wiry youth in his driver’s seat. ”Did you not witness their immediate reaction to our resistance was to shoot at us? You act as if you ran off after I had knocked the thug Nick over with my door.”

Nick’s expression grew sheepish, ”Well yeah, but...” A tan hand rose to scratch behind his neck, stammering out what the AI could only figure to be vocal filler as he attempted to find his argument. ”But you said you wouldn’t put us in... in Pear-ill.”

Peril, Leroy.” KARR briefly scolded, ”And I did exactly that, I kept us out of peril. Neither you or I have suffered any injuries.”

Although, that would soon be a lie, as his scanners picked up Tony and Nick’s retreat. Though Nick’s wounds were few, they were severe. His scanners detected multiple fourth degree burns on his chest, exacerbated by the synthetic fibers of his shirt as they melted into his skin. He would need time in the hospital, if he ever made it. The both of them decided it high time to flee from the scene of their battle with their tails tucked between their legs, wounded and completely stumped about what to do with the car that just disfigured one of their duo. the fact the thug would have lasting scars from the experience was a pleasant thought to placate himself for the moment.

Bullets sprayed from the mouth of the pistol in a parting volley, glancing off his armor with a series of metallic pings and screeches, and Leroy flinched reflexively in his seat. Dark eyes looked at the monitors, which followed the duo’s retreat.

”...Aren’t you going to follow them?” Leroy asked, glancing from the monitors to the vox within the still darkened cabin.

”While it would have been best if they had been eliminated completely, their flight has left us with a prime opportunity. That, Leroy, was the goal all along.” KARR replied, both of his monitors focused upon the storefront with a breif flicker. ”We just saved that man’s livelihood, why not go and take some due gratitude? He probably will want to reward the one who kept his store from getting robbed, and his life intact.”

Leroy’s eyes widened to the point of bugging, ”What? Gratitude? Boris is probably scared shitless in there!” He exclaimed, stabbing a finger towards the screen.

”Exactly! He will need support.” KARR confidently stated, already shifting himself into reverse and pulling up to the curb in front of the shop. ”Go help him. I will wait here.”

Leroy’s brow furrowed, and his hand left his neck to rise and run through his short crop of muddy hair. A sigh hissed from his nostrils as he thought over everything, the talk he had with the car, the drive out here, the stakeout, the fight... Admittedly, this was not what he had been imagining when he had talked with KARR about this new get-rich plan a month ago.

”We have already made the first step forward, Leroy. Don’t back out now.” The AI uttered, his synthetic voice taking on an encouraging tone. "You are friends with Boris, helping him clean up the shop should be easy.”

Well, the AI was right, they already had taken a step forward into this plan. If he backed out now, the Cobalts knew what he sounded like, they would be looking for him soon enough after this stunt, especially after they saw the car. The only way he would be safe really, was if he got rid of the two-toned chatterbox. Yet, after that fight, it felt a lot more like he was putting himself wilfully in danger if he split ways with the vehicle. He did not know anyone that had the money for an armored car, much less one that could shoot lasers, or send a Cobalt running. No matter how he cut it, the best way was to go inside and see where KARR’s efforts took him.

”Well, Leroy? Your window will not last forever.” KARR spoke up again, and his passenger removed his hand from his head to reach over and grasp the door handle.

”Yeah, yeah I’ll go talk to him. You’re right.” The young man surrendered, pushing the door open and stepping out into the chilly April eve.

Worn winter boots clapped on the asphalt, passing by a few haphazard clusters of fresh holes had been punched through by the deflected bullets. dark eyes glanced down, and a lump formed in his throat as he took notice, and realized just how easily those could have landed in him instead. The toe of his boot mindlessly kicked aside a spent casing as he stepped around the car and pulled his jacket a little closer around him, pulling the zipper up to shut out the cold. his breath curled from his mouth in a small grey cloud as he stepped up onto the sidewalk and approached the door. For a scant instant, he had thought it right to raise a hand and knock on the door, before hesitating and sliding his hand into his pocket. his free hand pressed against the door and pushed it open, the bell overhead ringing welcomingly as he stepped inside the disheveled establishment.

”Hey, Boris?... Are you okay?” He asked, looking around. Where did the old man get to while all hell broke loose outside?

KARR

HP: 580/510 -70
    DP: 60/0 -4
    AP: 106/85

Weapons: None
    Trinkets: None
    Powers:None
    Cooldown: Remote Override - 4 turns

Action:Talking up Leroy's confidence.
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Stepping inside the dishelved convenience store, Leroy’s shoes crunched upon shattered glass, the remains of the display counter that spread itself across the rubber tile. They glittered in the early spring sun like diamonds, but other than this detail and a missing knife among the switch blades that had been out for customer display, there was little else to suggest the store had been visited by the two Cobalt Gang thugs. No splattering of ruby red was left to dry on the floor, either form Boris or the two youths that thought to rob him.

But, there was no sign of Boris either at the crime scene...

Further back, behind a worn steel door, there was a sound of shuffling. It sounded as if someone was pushing aside something heavy from in front of the door. A few muffled huffs and puffs later, a familiar voice spoke through the metallic barrier.

”...Leroy? Leroy is that you?” The door was pushed aside with a heavy creak that was defeaning in the silence left in the wake of the prior confrontation. ”Are you okay?”

Leroy rushed over to the door to the stock room, pulling it the rest of the way aside as the old man doddered out. Behind him, the source of the heavy dragging noise became clear. Just next to the door frame were boxes upon boxes of stock stacked upon each other- a makeshift barricade if he ever saw one. Leroy glanced between the boxes and back to the frazzled shop keeper, now that he was in the light, he could see the beads of sweat that had collected on his brow, how his skin seemed a shade or two paler than usual. His hands shivered as they gripped the door handle and the edge of his work vest.

”I-I was about to ask you the same thing. Are you okay?” His expression of concern for the aging shop keeper was met with a sigh and a small nod of his head.

”Yes... Yes I am fine. Oh, but my glass...” He looked in the direction of the aforementioned misfortune, Leroy’s gaze following his to the shattered remains of the display counter. ”...Ah well. I can get new glass. What matters is that we are both still in one piece, yes?”

”Yeah... Are you sure you are alright, Boris? You look a little pale.” He asked again, raising his hand to rest upon his shoulder with a gentle pat.

Boris gave a small shake of his head, ”It was a little too exciting than I would like, but I am still here, yes. Old Boris will not fall apart over a couple of thieves.” The old man went to shuffle his way out from under Leroy’s consoling hand and behind the shattered counter to retrieve a broom. Thick fingers curled around the handle just as a realization hit him; ”Hey, that was your voice coming from outside earlier, yes?”

Leroy shuffled where he stood, his legs feeling stiff and unwilling to listen to his will to walk over and help the old man clean up the glass. ”Uh, yeah... Yeah that was me.” He nodded his head in agreement, though his gaze flicked towards the two toned vehicle waiting outside.

”I did not think you were the brave type, Leroy. You surprise old Boris.” The old man commented, shakily stepping out from behind the counter to begin sweeping up the broken glass.

”Y-yeah, I guess...” His tongue slipped out to wet his lips, his will finally finding its voice as he stepped over towards the aging shop keep. ”I can clean this up for you, you’ve been through enough as it is. Your hands are shaking.”

For a moment Boris looked perplexed as the young man approached to take the broom, but as he felt his grip shudder and give way to Leroy’s insistence to clean up the mess- namely taking the broom out of his hand- he looked down at his fingers. They were quivering as if their owner had just walked in from a freezing tundra, and were just as icy and clammy to the touch. Boris’ eyes widened and he took a small step back.

”Oh, so I am- so they are. Maybe I should go sit...” He looked back up to the sound of glass clinking against itself as it was swept aside. Already Leroy was at work making a neat pile to the side of the counter to be disposed of later. ”What a good young man, you chased away the thieves and you are helping clean up their mess for me.”

Leroy only responded with a nearly grunted “yeah.” His eyes were focused completely on the task of sweeping up the broken glass. He only glanced aside upon hearing a small sigh from the old shop keeper and rustle of fabric as he gestured to the display case.

”Oh dear, they ran off with one of my knives. It is times like this I wish we had our own police.” He opined as he found a nearby step stool to settle himself onto. ”They could get my knife back for me, and make sure those two never come near my store again.” From the look that Leroy managed to pick up on the old man’s face, he likely was already contemplating whether they would be coming back later on to do this all over again.

Maybe they would be pointing the knife they stole at him too.

”...I’m sorry, Boris.” Leroy paused in his sweeping to turn fully towards the resting shopkeeper.

”No, no, it is my fault. This area, it is dangerous. I just forgot how much so since I work closer to the border between the inner city and the outer district.” The old man weakly waved a hand, ”I would move into the inner city but... I fear I lack the means, and this place just makes it feel impossible to leave most days, you know?”

Now a sigh escaped Leroy’s lips, as he turned and began sweeping up the glass again. ”Yeah, yeah I know what you mean.” He commented over the clatter of broken glass, ”If it’s not one thing, its another. The gangs, drugs, everything. It just beats down you.”

Boris nodded in understanding, adding to the young man’s commentary; ”...And my friends, I would be leaving them. I do not want to leave them here in this slum... It is the main reason I stick around at all.”

Leroy’s brow rose slightly, he had never heard of Boris mentioning any friends that he stuck around for.The old man was oddly chatty for the area he was in, and so far as Leroy knew he was not into any drugs or alcohol. But now that he knew that Boris stuck around here because of his friends it started to make a little more sense as to why he was having anything to do with the Outer District to begin with.

”Really?”

Boris nodded, ”Yes! They all have their own problems they deal with unfortunately, but the way we stick together makes them feel... Less so.”

”It seems you have some problems of your own now.” Leroy replied, returning to sweeping the glass into a neat little pile. ”...Maybe they can be made... less so?” Admittedly the offer could have been a little more smoothly, but Leroy was no smooth talker by any means. What should have been confident and charismatic came out as more of a weak suggestion,

”I do not know how you mean, Leroy.” Boris sighed, ”Those thugs might be back later, and even if they are not, I have stayed here long enough that my shop now is targeted by looters and vandals.”

Leroy shifted slightly on his feet, pitching this... idea the car had given him was proving to be more challenging than he thought, if only because he was not really the pitching type. That damn car made it sound so easy. Even so, the young man glanced down, gathering his thoughts before making a second attempt to offer a solution to Boris’ problem.

”I mean... Well... I could help. I chased off those thugs, right?” He offered, a little more collected than his initial statement. But, it was met no differently, as Boris shook his head and his brow creased into a frown.

”No, Leroy. You do not need to get involved with the gangs out here. You will get killed.” Boris argued, ”I can get more glass for my counter and more knives, I can figure out my own problems. I do not want to see you hurt over this.”

Leroy’s gaze cast itself to the glistening shards of glass on the floor, which were steadily making themselves into a neat pile with every sweep of the broom. Though Boris was a stubborn man, a proud man, there was no denying he was ill equipped to deal with the trouble makers that roamed these streets. His plan for dealing with the two thugs was to hide behind the counter, and then shuffle into the storeroom to hide there. The very image of an old man like Boris fighting off a group of thugs like the Cobalt Gang by himself was impossible for him to imagine. The young man sighed, what would the car do in this situation? Boris did not want to see him hurt, but Leroy did not want to see Boris hurt either. His lips drew into a thin line as he kept sweeping.

”...And what are you going to do about this, Boris? You can’t fight either, you went and hid in the back. I found you hiding behind the boxes.” He picked his gaze up from his task to meet the old man’s frowning face with his serious one. ”You need someone to help you with this. Why not have the person who sent those thugs running be the one to have your back?”

”Because next time they may send you running, or worse.” The old man countered.

”What about what you said before, about how sticking together makes a problem less... so...” Admittedly that last part came out a little more awkward than he would have liked, but Leroy pressed on, ”I can help you, we can help each other so that the Cobalts are less of a problem.”

Boris brought a calloused hand up to massage his brow, a low sigh hissing from his lips. It seemed he just was not getting through to him. ”How, Leroy? You are not a strong boy, you have a body like noodles. I know you, you are not the fighting type that you are posing as now.”

”I’m not being a poser, Boris! My car-I mean, I, have a plan in mind. It’s a good one too.” He extended an open palm to the old shop keeper as if to gesture for him to sit still. ”Look, just listen. You need help, right, and I have the ability to help you. I may not be able to protect shit-”

”Language, Leroy.” Boris cut him off, a finger wagging at him scoldingly like a parent to their child. ”I am still your elder, speak to your elders with respect.”

Leroy sighed and glanced aside. he got a little carried away.”Y-yeah... Sorry.” He uttered, before returning to his argument ”What I mean is, I may not be able to do anything, but I got something that can help me do something. When I pulled up, you saw the two-toned ride I have, right? It’s bullet proof, it has the stuff to make those guys run- it made them run away.”

Boris quirked a brow, incredulous to the young man’s story and proposal; ”Your answer to my problem... is a car? You and a car?” The man sounded like Leroy was trying to call vinegar a fine wine and sell it to him.

”It worked this time, didn’t it? It will work next time too.” Leroy pressed, and this time, he felt as if he finally made some progress. Boris’ stern expression fell to a more thoughtful one as he contemplated the offer, and what had occurred but a half hour before.

”...Fine, Leroy. If you are this certain you can help, I will let you.” A sharp “yes!” interjected the old man’s statement, and he gestured with an open palm to Leroy to settle down before continuing; ”And if you help consistently and good... I will pay you.”

Leroy’s brow raised slightly at the offer to his offer, ”Really, as in you would give me a job?” He asked, slightly surprised. He did not exactly expect Boris to be so quick to accept his help.

”Of course, you are offering protection. That is a service! And it is a hard job, a very hard job out here.” Boris replied, standing from his seat with a soft huff, ”Though I admit I did not think I would expect to be accepting it from someone like you.”

Work shoes shuffled across the rubbery tile as Boris went to reclaim the broom from him, by now their conversation had eaten up the last of the remaining sunlight. Outside it was completely dark save for the tracking amber light on the front of the car that waited out front.

[color:b90b=light green]”Thank you for your help, Leroy, I am deeply grateful.” He stated warmly as he reached to gently pluck the broom from Leroy’s fingers. ”I can take care of the rest of the mess,”

” ’You sure? I don’t mind staying and helping you clean up.” Leroy offered, his hand still remaining upon the broom as Boris grasped it.

The old man seemed to contemplate the young man’s words for a moment, before replying; ”Well, it has been hard to kneel down lately... Maybe you can get the dust pan to sweep all this into, yes? It is behind the counter, next to where I keep the broom.” Though from the way Boris spoke, part of it suggested that he did not want to be left alone in the shop just yet- especially after the attempted robbery.

He just did not want to admit it.

”Yeah, sure. I can do that.” Leroy replied, and before Boris knew it, he was off to retrieve the aforementioned item.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:36 am

Nearly an hour ticked by before KARR witnessed Leroy finally step out of the convenience store, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his jacket. Behind him, the store’s lights ticked off and the interior went dark, save for a few neon lights in the cooler for the cold beverages further back in the store. Breath plumed from the young mans’ mouth as he approached the awaiting Trans-Am, his brow furrowed slightly as the driver’s side door opened with a hydraulic hiss.

”Leroy! I trust your talk with Boris went well?” A familiar, graveled voice greeted. Of course, KARR knew how the conversation went, he had been monitoring the whole thing through the store’s surveillance feed.

Even so, he wanted to hear the young dreg’s take on the situation. There was a soft whump as Leroy slid in the driver’s seat, and the door closed behind his leg as it was tucked inside. Ever the attentive machine, the interior temperature had been raised to a comfortable warmth compared to the outside chill. It was enough that Leroy started to shed his jacket as he replied to the blinking vox above the steering wheel.

”Yeah, sure... It went well.” Despite the success inside, the young man’s voice did not sound so enthused about the situation.

”You seem down, Leroy. Is something the matter?” The AI asked, his synthetic voice taking on what sounded like a caring tone. So far as he could discern, everything was falling into line exactly as they wanted it.

”I just... Do not feel completely right about this.” A cryptic reply, and Leroy leaned forward to remove the jacket fully before tossing it into the passenger seat to land in a heap. ”I mean... It... It feels like we’re using him, you know?”

”I am not familiar with this feeling you speak of.” KARR replied, his tone completely devoid of anything that suggested he knew otherwise about Leroy’s feelings about the matter. ”We are offering him protection, and in turn he will give us payment if we do a good job. The exchange is completely fair according to my logistics processes, a mutual relationship with mutual gain.”

The young man in his driver’s seat sighed and ran his fingers through his hair as he considered the AI’s reply, ”KARR, I feel like we’re just using him as a step towards a way out of here. He’s not going to leave, and if he’s paying us he can’t get out of here either.” Leroy commented. ”What is fair about that?”

Alas, the AI had his own retort to Leroy’s sudden shaken faith in their plans. He had heard their conversation, and recorded it down to every minute contemplative sigh that either party had made. ”I did not see either of you considering that when you were talking. You wanted to help him, and he was staying for his friends.” He replied smoothly. ”It seems late for you to suddenly grow worried about Boris’ own means of getting out of the Outer District.”

”How do you know about all that?” Leroy quickly interrogated, his brow knitting into a serious scowl. ”You weren’t there.”

”I listened. Boris’ security camera captures audio as well as video.” KARR offhandedly dismissed. There were more pressing topics to discuss anyway, which he happily deflected to. ”I know what you told Boris. What are you going to do, Leroy, go back inside and tell him that you are going back on your promise to help him? That does not sound like something a friend would do.” The flashing LED’s on the vox above the steering wheel looked ever more like gnashing teeth as KARR spoke, his tone just as biting as his words.

From the way Leroy’s face fell, they sank just as deeply into the young man’s thoughts. He leaned back in the seat with a sigh, and dark brown eyes scanned over the winking gauges that fluctuated like a cardiograph in sync with the vehicle’s vitals.

”Do not be a fool, Leroy.” KARR warned, ”I am starting to lose my patience with your constant lack of faith. Maybe I chose the wrong person to help.”

Leroy did not respond, and the AI filled the silence with his commentary, the sound of his turbines revving from their idle was muffled against the soundproofing inside the cabin. Armored tires crunched upon cracked and worn asphalt as he pulled away from the curb, cruising back towards the worn out bungalow that Leroy called his home.

”Do you want to get out of this slum?” KARR asked, though his question was rhetorical.

Leroy however, failed to pick up the hint as he finally spoke; a simple, blunt ”Yeah.”

”Do you want the penthouse in the inner city?” KARR questioned again, and once again a simple “yeah” answered back. ”Then stop this inane jumping back and forth, and work with me. You cannot question your decisions after they have already been made, all you are doing by questioning our plan is creating hesitation, and making me question whether you are a worthwhile person or...”

Leroy glanced up from the twinkling LEDs of KARR’s dashboard to the flickering lines of KARR’s vox, ”Or what?” Leroy replied, his voice reflecting how much the conversation was tiring him.

It was not the first time he had been at the receiving end of this talk since they started working together. But at the same time they had not been working together for very long to begin with. Even so, that did not spare the desperate young man from the AI’s frigid jabs.

”...Or if you really are just another loser. That word purred from the AI’s synthesizers in a way that nearly made those flashing lines look as if they were sneering at him. However, it was enough to make Leroy think. He knew it would, despite his dismal living conditions, Leroy hated being reminded of how bad they really were; how much of a ‘loser’ he was.

”No, I’m not a loser.” Leroy quickly replied, ”I’m not gonna let myself stay stuck here in this... shithole.

There was the personality that KARR liked, or more, found particularly useful to his interests. His reward was the radio was turning on to a favorite station of his passenger. R&B beats drifted through the cabin, sounding more like background noise than the panel-shaking, window-rattling bass that usually was known to boom from the speakers of the cars that played it.

The AI’s tone softened from the harsh, icy reprimanding from earlier, as he addressed his passenger again; ”I thought so. Now, act like it.” Though the computer eased his pressure off Leroy’s shoulders, there was still a hard line to his voice upon his final statement that earned a glance from the human as he settled into the plush upholstery.

Not that the AI minded keeping his passenger’s attention, however. After all, the AI could leave the young man high and dry at any time in favor of someone who was a little more ambitious- and willing to see it through. The more KARR spent time around Leroy, the more he was beginning to deduce that the young man was beginning to catch onto that unspoken fact as well, in his own ways. In the meantime, KARR was already deducing the next step of their plans as they drove off into the night. In fact, he had already figured it out, as the car halted in the middle of the street with a rough growl from his engine.

”Why did we stop?” Leroy immediately asked, sitting up in his seat.

”I have an idea.” KARR began, the confidence in the AI’s tone already was creating a reflexive lump in Leroy’s throat. ”I believe we should pay Nick and Tony a visit.”

”WHAT?!” Leroy nearly choked on his own words as his eyes widened at the blinking vox above the wheel. ”Why?! They tried to kill us, remember? We- no, you tried to kill them!”

”We is indeed the proper term, Leroy. Legally you would be considered  an accomplice by association.” KARR corrected, perhaps a little too smugly. Thankfully for his passenger, he did not linger upon that fact for very long. ”And yes, we left Nick with grievous wounds. I detected fourth degree burns upon his person when he and Tony decided to retreat, without proper medical attention they will fester and the resulting infection will possibly kill him.”

”Yeah, so what does that have to do with--” Realization dawned on him, and the expression upon Leroy’s face was worthy of capturing and saving away in the AI’s databank to enjoy in the future. ”You have a medical thing, don’t you.”

”Correct.” KARR happily chimed as he spun the vehicle around with a screech of his tires and a swing of his rear.

”You’re gonna to use that for another one of your opportunity things.” Leroy managed to say- or perhaps squeak- as he gripped at the armrest in the driver’s side door for leverage against the sudden turn. ”That’s what this shit is about, isn’t it?”

”Possibly.” KARR replied, his tone sounding far more collected in comparison to Leroy’s rising vocal pitch. Already he detected a sharp spike in his heart rate, undoubtedly the work of another untimely and unnecessary adrenal dump. ”Relax, Leroy. I assure you this will be completely worthwhile, you will see.”

A sharp, heavy sigh jetted from Leroy’s nostrils as he watched the run down slums whip by them, the sharp ticking of KARR’s climbing speedometer joined the smooth beat of the music playing faintly over the radio. On the CRT monitors, a map flickered into existence, illuminating the interior with a soft white glow. A web of intersecting, tightly woven roads met Leroy’s gaze as it swept towards the recent addition. The second monitor crackled to life in a blizzard of static. Images broke through the fuzz, too quick for KARR’s passenger to comprehend as they snapped through; one after the other in a torrent. So far as he could discern, attempting to blink away the growing nausea and the colors that were burned into his retinas at the rapidly switching videos, the AI was looking at... streets?

The flashing screen paused upon a black and white feed, focused upon an intersection. It had to be some sort of exterior security camera, Leroy reasoned. Some people, some crafty, cunning types, thought it wise to keep an extra eye on their goods. Two men were traveling around the corner. One was supporting the other on his shoulder. Despite the lack of color, Leroy managed to recognize the jackets they wore; they belonged to the Cobalts.

”I have located them, our estimated time of interception is ten minutes.” KARR reported.

Through the derelict streets, the sound of his turbines echoed off the buildings in a shrill scream, hanging in the air long after the crimson glow of his taillights disappeared into the night.

((This thread is complete, and may be locked.))

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 am