580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Opportunities In Unlikely Places

Post by K.A.R.R. on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Time: Early Evening
    Date: April 3rd, 0007

”Yo, why are we parked out here again?”

Leroy sighed and shifted where he sat in KARR’s driver’s seat, looking through the windshield at the convenience store the vehicle was parked across from. He looked away from the storefront windows, which were plastered with sun-bleached ads for reduced price deals on liquor and cigarettes for loyal customers. Though winter was on its way out, there was a layer of ice that still clung to the windowframes. Dark eyes settled on the vox that sat dark and lifeless just above the gull-wing steering wheel, surrounded by blinking lights that stood for who-knew-what according to the skid-row youth.

”I’m serious. What could you possibly find so damn interesting about Boris’?” He gestured with an open palm towards the shiny plastic display, ”I go there like... five times a week. There ain’t nothing about the old man’s shop worth sitting in an alley over, like some TV cop.”

The trio of LED bars lit up finally at that statement, pulsating with every word the car said:

”Patience, Leroy. The best opportunities come to those who wait, you will see what I have planned in time.” The AI’s light scolding was enough to make the young man stop his fidgeting for the moment.

”Fine, but I don’t see how sitting out here is going to get us any closer to buying our way out of this slum.” He replied, his arms crossing back over his chest, ”The way you described it, you made it sound like some grand scheme.

The car countered Leroy’s skepticism with leveled logic and to his perception, wisdon; ”Rome was not built in a day, Leroy, and even it started out as a single, unassuming brick at one point.”

The young man’s tanned face scrunched slightly at the AI’s words, as if something was lost in translation.

”What the hell is Rome?” Alas, it did indeed seem to be the case after all.

Evidently Leroy never paid attention to his studies. Or even more likely, he simply never attended school. KARR would have rolled his eyes if he would have been capable, but instead he settled for a simpler answer to the uninformed youth’s question.

”Never mind. Just keep an eye on the store, and wait.” The vox flickered with his response, smooth even in surrendering this obvious lost cause.

Though he may not have known it, KARR had taken to observing this particular street. It was easy to, as no one gave the two-toned Trans-Am a second glance as he sat in the alleyway most afternoons. He parked himself out of the light, where his dark paint would blend in with the shadows, and effectively camouflage himself from the peripherals of the everyday dregs that wandered the derelict streets. A lone wino passed them by as they sat in the alleyway, too preoccupied with taking a swig from his paper-wrapped bottle to stave off the cold. It was a sight that made the AI’s passenger feel a little more thankful that his partner, if he could call him that, had a built in heater.

It was through this that he noticed something interesting about the otherwise unassuming shop that Boris ran.

Speaking of it, Leroy perked in the plush seat as he noticed something, or more someone coming down the street. Two someones, in fact. Two men around the same age as Leroy strode down the sidewalk as if they owned the entire street, one of them carrying a bat slung over his shoulder. What they wore was of little importance to the young man, aside from the deep blue jackets that they sported with pride.

”Wait a minute are those... Are those Cobalts?” He muttered, sinking into his seat slightly as if trying not to be seen. He watched as they opened the flyer covered glass door and stepped inside. ”...What do they want with Boris?”
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Re: Opportunities In Unlikely Places

Post by Universal NPC on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:57 pm

The convenience store was nothing too out of the ordinary, it was a small building, aged by the poor conditions of the outer district. Inside fluorescent lights illuminated the small shop that could be have been considered akin to a gas-station pit stop minus the pumps. Snacks and drinks lined the handful of small aisles, along with a simple assortment of everyday supplies. The glass counter top gave a view inside to the small assortment of novelty switch blades he kept on display. They were flimsily made things, barely anything that the old man would call a proper knife, but the people who bought them for double the price never knew that. In the back and behind the counter were what Boris considered to be customer favorites; alcohol and tobacco.

Granted, they were not the best selections, but they were enough to get customer interest aside from the cheese puffs and chips.

He had been maintaining the shop all by his lonesome since he had been stuck here, and as the sun began to set for the evening, Boris had decided to take a little inventory while he waited for closing time. It would not be too long, he tended to stop and call it a day around nine in the evening. He glanced at the clock that sat above the counter behind him to check.

7:30

It would be an hour and a half before he needed to close shop.

Though just as he opened the door to step into the back room, he heard the bell above the store front door chime. He paused and turned to look back out the door, just in time to see two young men enter. They looked to be the sort that tended to frequent the area, with slicked back dark hair and tan skin. They were not especially built, but it was evident that there was muscle beneath their clothing. The one that had been holding the bat over his shoulder earlier had slipped it off to lazily conceal behind his leg as he stepped inside.

”Oh! Hello, have a look around, I was just going to check on a few things.”Boris greeted, his voice was thick with an accent, likely slavic. ”You look like the type for cigarettes, yes? I just got more yesterday, fresh.”

Boris, for his age, was not the type to readily be concerned about the nature of his customers. People tended to leave Boris be, as they were happy to buy what the old man had to offer. He was frail and grey, but by some miracle managed to avoid most of the troubles of looting and shake downs by the local thugs. Though from the way he looked at the two newest arrivals to his shop, likely he was just senile enough from everything to not notice where he was or who he dealt with but not so much so to be unable to run his little shop.

”Yeah? Why don’t we come back there wit’chya?” One of them spoke up, stepping towards him. His mousey brown eyes scanned around like he was regarding personal property, a cigarette hung loosely from his lip. ”We could help ya take invent’ry. Me an’ Nick here are real good at keepin’ track of tings.”

The old man shook his head, ”That is nice, very kind offer, but I do the inventory myself.” Boris patted his chest with a palm, ”Look around, I will only be a moment.”

The one of the two blue-jacket donning customers swiveled the cigarette between his lips to sit a little more rigidly in his mouth. With a nod he motioned for his friend to step in from behind him to stand next to him as he patted the bat-weilding thug on the shoulder.

”I don’t tink ya understand, Nick here is a invent’ry genius.” He turned his head to look at the other, ”Why don’t ya show him, Nick? Make an example.”

A grin spread itself across the as of yet unnamed youth, unsettling and slimy as he watched Nick step towards the counter. His green eyes perused the assortment of novelty knives within, the way his gaze lingered suggested they had caught the silent brute’s interest. The bat was drawn out from where it had been resting against a jean clad leg, and raised above the polished glass.

”Oh wh-what are you--!” Boris stepped a away from the door, a hand reaching out as if to try and stop him.

But in one fell swing of Nick’s arm, the glass shattered with a loud crash to scatter over the knives he had inside and onto the floor. A look of horror smeared itself on the old man’s face.

”My glass! Why you break my glass!?” He cried in alarm.

The two thugs paid his pleas no mind as Nick looked inside the shattered countertop, feigning contemplation.

”Y’got six knives in ‘ere, old man.” Nick reported, as his friend stepped up to briskly snatch one out of the display.

”Make it five.” With a squeeze of his thumb on the trigger of the knife, a sharp blade sprung up with a sharp click. "An’ if ya don’t get to cleanin’ out that register for us, you’re gonna be short a few knee caps.”

He could even be getting a few new holes cut into him, from the way he was holding that knife.

”Yeah, an’ get some smokes for Tony while yer at at.” Nick added, tapping the end of the wooden bat against his palm.

”F-fine! Fine! Take my money! Stop breaking my things!” Boris pleaded as he hobbled over to the cash register as quickly as he was able. His hands fumbled with the buttons on the register as he struggled to open the cash tray.

Today, old man!” Tony pushed, stabbing the knife towards him in a threat.

Such horror, what a terrible occurrence, and it all was taking place right in view of the street.

It’s a robbery!

K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 53

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 am

How surprising, he had not expected Leroy to look so... Scared. his body pressed against KARR’s seats as he pushed himself down as much as he could while being able to watch the scene unfold in the convenience store.

”So you know these two?” KARR answered the young man as he just about molded himself to the shape of the brown plush seat in an effort to be unseen.

Leroy glanced from the two men entering the store to the flickering vox. ”Y-yeah, not these guys, but I know the jacket. The Cobalt gang is everywhere. But, god, I didn’t think they would want anything to do with Boris. He’s just an old guy.” His dark eyes could not completely be torn away from the store front.

KARR’s sensors watched as the young man could not keep his eye off the bat, which the aforementioned Boris evidently did not readily pick up as he invited them to have a look around the shop. The AI was not completely naive to the fact that there were gangs that roamed around. When he used to work with Fear and Mortis, they came across them often while patrolling this sector of the city. It was the only part of the city they could patrol, without the ISOs getting involved. Likely that was the same reason why criminal activity ran rampant like an infectious disease.

Despite the horror of the scene, Leroy began to put two and two together in regards to why they had come here. ”...How did you know they would be coming here?”

KARR’s response did not sound so affected by the unfolding scene as Leroy, but he allowed him an explanation, ”Simple, Leroy. I have seen these two coming here for a while. One day I overheard them talking about robbing Boris. It made for a perfect opportunity, do you not agree?”

KARR decided Leroy did not need to hear that he also knew that Leroy had a certain fondness for the old man, or that he also knew that his passenger tended to frequent the convenience store as well for a cheap drink. That was not the point of this little excursion.

In that moment the bat was whipped out and slammed into the counter top, a deafening crash was heard even through the closed door, and soon enough it was followed by Boris’ horrified cries. Leroy was caught mid inclination to ask yet another question, from what the AI could read upon his face. The image alone of the old man being in peril made Leroy’s face pale a few shades, and the machine’s surveillance mode could detect the young man’s heart hammering in his chest. It was not him who was in danger, and yet his adrenal glands were dumping fully into his bloodstream, how interesting.

”W-what do we do? I didn’t come here to watch an old man get robbed.” Leroy nearly whispered as he quickly looked at the storefront and back to the flashing LEDs on KARR’s voice modulator. ”We... we didn’t come here to just watch him get his ass robbed, right? Oh god what about us, what if they see us...?”

Leroy’s panicked muttering was cut off by a surprisingly confident synthetic voice.

”Have no fear, Leroy. I would not put either of us in peril.” He reassured, ”Just follow my lead.”

With that, a few analog tones chimed within the soundproofed interior, and the vehicle’s engines roared to life, and he rolled out of the alleyway towards the storefront, but made no move to enter it. It would not do to destroy Boris’ livelihood.

At least, not yet.

The robotic vehicle activated his voice projectors, and called out a challenge to the two Cobalt gang members inside.

”HEY! YOU LEAVE HIM ALONE!”

Leroy’s eyes widened as he sat in the seat, still pressed down to hide himself from view. Fingers dug into the cloth of the seat, his knuckles white. Leroy’s forehead felt damp, and his palms sticky with sweat. Did... Did this thing just call out the Cobalt gang, with his voice? He quickly glanced around, before leaning cautiously in towards the vox on the steering wheel.

”...hey... hey thats my voice. why are you using my voice dude? what are you doing? That was not cool!

KARR

HP: 580/580
    DP: 60/60
    AP: 106/106

Weapons: None
    Trinkets: None
    Powers: None
    Cooldown: None

Action: Challenging Nick and Tony.
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 am

”I said TODAY!” Nick sneered above the harsh clack of register buttons as the storefront owner fumbled with them.

”I-I am! Please, patience!” He begged, glancing between the stubborn register mechanism and the sharpened point of Tony’s recently pilfered switch blade.

The old man’s fingers fumbled with the buttons to open the tray. They slipped on the protective plastic membrane as he tried to hastily punch the keys through the adrenaline that was shooting through his veins. But not a moment after Tony had yelled and made his threat with the knife, there was a shout from outside.

Both Tony and Nick whipped their heads around to look out the storefront window, their gazes settling upon the dark vehicle that was facing them from across the street.  Tony glanced around uncertainly, looking to see if there was anyone else around that may have called out from outside. Nick’s lip curled, looking from Tony to the car again and gesturing to it with the wooden bat.

”I think someone’s tryin’ ta fuck wit’ us, Tony.” He sneered, tilting his head to gesture towards the car. Then, he turned his attention back to the black silver trans-am ”You wanna fuck wit’ us?! What’re ya gonna do, yell at us to stop from your ride, asshole? Shut the fuck up!”

But that was not all Nick had to say, the young man was high upon the power they both held upon the distraught shopkeeper. He pointed to the car with the tip of the bat in his hands, he man’s eyes squinting as he spat his next retort. "There ain’t no cops, we can do whatever the fuck we want! We’re gonna drag ya out of your fuckin’ shit ride and beat your ass next!”

While Nick was spitting and foaming at the one who dared to interlope outside, Boris for a split moment saw a window of opportunity as he tried to move himself away from the cash register. Though as she shuffled across the rubber tiles, the sole of his shoes crunched upon the broken glass, remnants of his shattered display case. Lightning raced down his spine at the noise, which sounded deafening in the tense silence. It did not go unnoticed either, as Tony’s gaze snapped to the movement caught in the corner of his eye.

”I didn’t say ya can fuckin’ leave, old man.” He hissed, ”Get the register open or I swear I’ll spill ya guts all over the floor!”

Boris’ hands raised tight against his chest, his wrinkled palms facing outward in a disarming gesture. ”Y-yes, the money! I’ll get you the money!” He cautiously shuffled back over to the register, his eyes never leaving the point of the knife.

Tony and Nick have taken notice of KARR!
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:15 am

KARR’s engine revved, a shrill sound like jet about to take flight. So this was how the criminal underbelly of the Outer District acted. It was not that the AI was surprised in the least, he had seen Judge Fear and Judge Mortis deal withe these iniquitous youths when they were still... active. But, usually it was them on the other end of their retorts and insults. Now that it was him, there was something about some pathetic, fleshy creature daring to insinuate he was powerless that struck a circuit.

Meanwhile, in his driver’s seat, the situation was a lot different.

His current “partner’s” voice muttered in his auditory sensors; ”We’re dead, we’re dead, we’re so fucking dead...!”

Leroy could have been part of the upholstery with how he was trying to stay out of sight. His hands were over his face, and his heart threatened to leap out of his chest. The AI’s vox flickered where it sat above the steering wheel in a silent, exasperated sigh. He had told Leroy earlier that there was nothing to fear.

”We are not dead.” He reassured the quivering youth, though his voice sounded as if Leroy’s behavior was beginning to grate his patience.

His scanners picked up additional activity inside the building besides Nick, as Tony caught the old man trying to make a break for it while they both had been temporarily distracted. KARR did not skip a beat in rebuking the saline words of the bat weilding thug. Leroy’s imitated voice was projected upon his speakers once again.

”THAT’S BIG TALK, WHY DON’T YOU COME OUT HERE AND PROVE IT INSTEAD OF HIDING IN A BUILDING LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!”

His turbines revved into a shrill scream once again, challenging Nick as he stood there, still pointing the bat at him like an impetuous child. Leroy’s stolen voice was projected over his speakers, adding to his prior challenge.

”HOW ABOUT THE BOTH OF YOU COME OUT OF HIDING FROM BEHIND THE OLD MAN, AND I’LL COME OUT OF THE CAR? UNLESS YOU’RE SCARED I’LL BEAT YOUR ASSES!”

Leroy flinched in his seat, his fingers parting to reveal his eyes bugging out of their sockets as he looked at the flashing vox above the steering wheel. Evidently the man could not believe what he had just heard as the AI’s interior optics watched the color drain from the man’s face.

”W-what?!” Leroy’s voice cracked and squeaked. ”I can’t go out there! Don’t send me outside! I’ll... I’ll die, KARR! What the fuck are you doing?”

His hands were shaking now, as to be expected due to the copious amounts of adrenaline that his medical scanners detected in his bloodstream. The button upon his switch pods labeled OXYGEN glowed to life with an electronic chirp and a vent lowered itself from the overhead console. Immediately fresh, pure oxygen flowed in with a quiet hiss.

”Calm down, Leroy. Breathe.” KARR’s voice kept itself low, but the statement was more of a command than an effort to soothe the shaking human in his seat. ”You are not going anywhere, just leave this to me.”

KARR

AP: 106/106

Powers: None

Action: Taunting Nick and Tony.
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 am

Tony’s eyes widened, his attention fully removed from the aging store clerk. Did that little punk just-? No, he could not have... Could he?

Nick could not believe his ears. Who was this punk, calling him out? Him, Nick, one of the infamous Cobalt gang! The man’s face burned a deep cherry red, his fingers clenching around the handle of his bat to the point where his flesh creaked against the dirty ventilation tape that was wrapped around it. The man glowered at the vehicle and shook his head. He cursed under his breath, reaching up to rub the side of his nose with his thumb.

He swiveled on his heels to look at Tony. ”I’m breaking that prick’s skull in.” He spat, stabbing his index finger in the direction of the black and silver car sitting outside.

Though as he was about to storm outside, Tony stammered after him, one hand reaching as if to try and will him to stop. ”Woah, Nick. Nick! What’re ya doing?” He called out.

Nick shifted in place his head birskly twisting as he swept his gaze to the car and then back to him, as if to ensure the car was indeed still there. ”Didn’t ya hear that punk? No one disses the Cobalts!” He hotly retorted.

”We don’t know what he’s got either, the windows are black! He’s probably got a gun!” He sharply replied through his teeth, taking the knife-wielding hand away to join with his gesturing. ”Use yer head, Nick!”

Nick, meanwhile, placed a hand upon his hip, looking down at the rubber tiling and then up at the ceiling as he gave a heavy sigh from his flaring nostrils. He shot a glare to the black and silver car waiting outside, his face still burning a hot red as he puffed and huffed, completely livid.

”Fuck it,” He jabbed the end of the bat towards the car again. ”He could also just be a complete dipshit too, I’m gonna break some sense into him!”

It was too late to stop Nick as he stormed toward the door and flung it open, slamming the greeting bell that hung over it with a sharp bang.

”Nick! Nick what about-!” he was cut off mid stammer by the very man he was yelling to yelling over his shoulder.

”The old man won’t do shit!” He barked towards his partner in crime.

And he was right, what was old Boris going to do out here? The cops did not come this way for anything, no matter how bad it got. In fact, he remembered times when they locked them out when thing started getting too tough. Weird blue goo, robot rebellions, overgrown vines... They did not get any fancy firewall, anyone and everyone was on their own out here.

The bat hung at Nick’s side from his clenched fist as he strode towards the vehicle, his shoulders shifting to and fro with his stride as if he were wading through some unseen obstruction. His lip curled in a sneer as he stormed over to the driver’s side window and glared in at the tinted glass. The way his eyes glowered from beneath his brow, it seemed as if he was trying to burn through the dark tint with his stare alone to the person inside. Then, he brought the bat up and brought it down upon the doorframe with a deafening bang! of wood on metal.

”I’m here, now get out of the fuckin’ car!” He snapped, spittle flying from his lip to sprinkle his reflection in the tinted glass. An already soured face curdled his expression further, and he slammed the bat down on the top of the car again, ”I said GET OUT HERE!

Nick wants to fight!
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 am

Oh yes, he certainly got their attention. The AI watched as the one human, Nick’s anger rose as readily upon his face as it did upon his scans. Within a minute, Nick’s complexion turned a bright cherry red, and he was snorting and puffing from his nostrils like an enraged bull. Inside the shop, KARR could overhear their argument as the two went back and forth about whether to take up his challenge.

That alone was enough to shift the AI’s mood. If he were capable, he would have been grinning from wheel-well to wheel-well. Those two in there really thought that there was some scrawny, pencil-necked kid throwing threats around. Although Tony... Tony evidently needed more convincing to be lured out of the shop.

No matter, KARR could provide that easily enough. He activated the voice projector again and addressed both of the thugs as Nick stormed outside.

”What’s the matter, is your friend too chicken-shit to come out here too? Does he need to hide behind his big strong boyfriend?

Crude as the insult was, KARR figured that the both of them likely did not like the idea of being referred to as a couple. Call it an educated guess from his past observations about the ideals regarding relationships and what made someone a “man" in the lowest echelons of society. Regardless, KARR’s efforts proved fruitful as Nick stomped his way over to his driver’s side window and banged on the roof of his chassis.

Spit flew from his lips, and the car’s engine revved dangerously. Then, the AI spoke once more, adding insult to injury as he let his voice bleed through the synthesized mimicry. “As you wish!

Abruptly KARR’s door swung open to knock the thug in the gut and send him sprawling on the pavement, eliciting a terrified squeak from his passenger. By now Leroy evidently believed that the car was indeed going to throw him to the metaphorical lions. Just as quickly as it happened, the AI swung the door closed once more, and his tires screamed against the asphalt as he swung his rear end in a 180 degree arc to slam Nick again with his glossy metallic flank.

KARR

AP: 106/102 -4AP

Powers: Juggernaut: +1 die to KARR's attacks, 2ap per use

Action: Slapping Nick aside with his door, before throwing his rear end around to slam into him.
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar: