Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: To Fix A Fool

Post by Kev on Wed May 03, 2017 5:09 am

"It's definitely a welcome change from the city!" Perhaps Kev was a puss-puss in that way, he had lived out in the grasslands for so long! Sometimes the air in the inner city made him wish for the soft breezes of the plains! The city had its own advantages of course, but he was happy to be dipping his toesies back into the cottage life. A goofy chuckle escaped him, both hands brought up to cover his chin as he snickered like a gremlin. Just the mental image of Zurg loafing it up with those two kitties...! Such was the life. Not a half-bad one either.

Suddenly this felt like an interrogation of some kind. As if Scaramouch was about to be arrested for something. Granted, perhaps that was because the things Jo spoke of were a great cause for concern. Harming themselves or others, outbursts, melancholia... These were usually signs that something was wrong, though Kev still found himself staring back at her with apprehension in his eyes, the scales along his forehead wrinkling lightly. "I-I got into an argument with him, made him pretty...frustrated? But he didn't do anything...he just got frustrated with me because we couldn't really understand each other. Nobody got hurt and I wouldn't call it an outburst." The alien was well aware of the fact that he could sometimes be rather...ignorant. Such as right now, apparently! Fear in a robot was strange? Once Jo moved to the topic of threats, Kev had moved from drumming his fingers to bouncing a knee. "N-no, no. Like I said, he got pretty frustrated with me, but he never threatened me once. Just...tried to get me to understand what he was saying." He'd been pretty reasonable, all things considered!

"Not gonna lie, Kev... the likelihood of you triggering another logical error in Scaramouch is high,"

As if his eyes couldn't get any wider, it seems they decided to prove otherwise. Hearing it so matter of fact seemed to send a shiver of anxiety down his spine like lightning striking from the heavens above! Kev was going to keep triggering these sorts of errors in Scaramouch, thereby hurting him? Even if indirectly? Suddenly Jo's warning for him to be wary didn't sound so strange. Her further establishing that being a rogue, ownerless robot meant he had no qualms about killing made Scaramouch's insistence on his being an assassin make more sense. In his own way, he was trying to warn Kev too! Run of the mill robots were apparently programmed with laws, sort of like their own robotic morals. Of course, these morals sounded positively horrid to his earholes. Obey organics, do not harm organics? But what about the bad ones! What if somebody was trying to hurt a robot?! They could apparently preserve their own life, and yet their life was also deemed...worthless! How could people do such a thing, even if they intended to keep themselves safe? To make a life...only to treat it as a slave.

"S-s-servants..." Kev echoed hollowly, pupils merely slivers in the ocean of blue in his eyes now. Suddenly it wasn't just Scaramouch, but Marvin and Livewire in his mind's eye. All three of them, robotic. All three, only worth what they could do as servants. Without any opinion or say-so for themselves, made only to blindly serve. It left a bitter taste, his chest clenching enough that he absentmindedly rubbed a hand over it as if to sooth away the sensation. So rampant robots basically overcame those restrictions and began to think on a higher level than they were meant to. Usually a cause for celebration but...as he experienced with Scaramouch, sometimes they just couldn't process certain emotional responses. Without someone to break down the logic for them...poof. Just as she gestured, they'd explode into little metal bits.

"Like, people do stupid crap, Kev. A robot would just observe all the nonsense going on and probably think it best to put everyone down for the greater good. That's why they're programmed with strict ethical barriers. If they weren't, they'd probably... you know... kill us."

"B-but organics can do that too! It's wrong when they act like that, and it's wrong for a robot to try and kill everybody too b-but..." Kev faltered, trying to find the words to speak his mind. "But we judge those organics separately from the rest of us. Why can't it be the same for robots? Why can't they have better programming to process the world better...? O-or someone to help them out!" Wasn't it bad to put down robots as a whole, force them to work as servile slaves? The alien could not help but to imagine if organics had been put in the same situation, no matter the species! Was it suddenly more wrong to brainwash and rewrite organic minds to make them easier slaves? Why wasn't it the same for robots? "I see why you need those ethics but some of them sound...really bad. Any life lost is sad and worth being mourned. No matter what it is. Why would people program a robot to not care about their own life...when it's necessary?" Anxiety had bled from him now, the bouncing of his knee slowing to a stop, and instead, it was replaced by an odd somberness. A feeling that only seemed to increase the more his friend spoke.

"If you're not careful, you might trigger something in Scaramouch and wind up the focus of a homicidal rampage."
    "You can't treat him like he's flesh-and-blood, Kev. He's a machine."
    "I doubt Scaramouch will ever tell you this, but he's a walking, talking, flirting prisoner in his own body."
    "Don't get him too melancholy or angry; robots aren't good with illogical emotions, especially if they're compelled to emote."
    "He's been made to serve; rogue or not, Scaramouch will never get rid of that deeply-embedded desire to please."

For the longest time, the scaly man could only stare back at Jo. He was appalled, green scales of his face a few shades paler than usual. The scales bristled, communicating his displeasure, and eventually, his head merely rolled forward to hang, gaze directed at his lap instead. The desire to please, he had picked up on, but he thought it to be a personality thing, or perhaps learned behavior from his time...elsewhere. To hear that he would never get rid of it...that it was inherent to being a robot...the scales bristled once more, like a wave. He had already failed some of Jo's advice, and now the full weight of what he'd done really came crashing on him. It wasn't just the robot's hurt feelings to keep in mind, it was a matter of his programming. If Kev did the wrong thing...Scaramouch could kill others due to going rampant. And damn him, he just couldn't stop treating robots like they were organic! He'd thought that was a good thing! But over and over, he was hearing that it was bad. And to know that the kind robot who had flattered him...the robot he was becoming increasing attached to, was a prisoner in his own body? Driven by a constant urge to please?

He felt as if somebody had dunked his body into the chilliest water imaginable. Kev didn't even want to talk, to finish this conversation. A part of him desperately wanted to leave, like an animal that wished to hide in the dark and lick its tender wounds. But he already promised Scaramouch he'd stay, swore to pay for the repairs...he couldn't disappear. That would be the wrong thing to do! Though the right thing in regards to Scaramouch was becoming fuzzy...just as it felt when the musical robot had questioned his parenting of Livewire. "I-I'll figure this out. Somehow, I'll figure this out." Kev finally spoke, refusing to raise his gaze to his friend again. "I owe it to him, to Livewire, and to Marvin. I...I'll... Be his friend. Learn to interact with robots in a way that still treats them right but...won't make them rampant. And keep him safe from the wrong kinds of people." 'Eager to please'...even now that sent a deep shiver through him.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am

Was that the sound of a certain blue-eyed alien succumbing to despair?

"I owe it to him, to Livewire, and to Marvin. I...I'll... Be his friend. Learn to interact with robots in a way that still treats them right but...won't make them rampant. And keep him safe from the wrong kinds of people."

Yep, it sure indeedly-doo was.

"I think you're being too hard on yourself, Kev." From out of the gloomy distance stepped Zurg, the taller alien wiping his hands on an oily rag. He moved past the storefront counter and took a spot beside Jo, standing. "Don't take this personally, but you're not the android's owner - no one on Portal Breach is. You are not obligated in any way, shape, or form to be responsible for him." Sigh, that Kev... always so easy to guilt. This is why the collision of worlds could be so frustratingly difficult. "Oh, so you've already inspected Scaramouch's code?" Jo asked. "How's he doing? Is he okay?" Zurg shrugged for the most part. "Eh... he's rogue," answered the horned monarch, casual, "and his coding is positively all over the place, but the android will be fine. I've already stripped him down to his birthday suit and began diagnostics. Aside from the glaring shiner to his LED display and the ruptured heat sinks, he won't need anything major today. Later, though. He's also extremely outmoded." Not unsurprising, given the robot's crude welding.  

She nodded and rose out of her chair, arms and neck rolling. "Alright, perfect. I'm gonna head downstairs and take a closer look at him. Thanks, Big Z~!" The mechanic paused. "Um... can you stay with Kev and explain smart A.I.s better? I've already touched upon basic robotics, but I was never good with advanced programming."

Zurg was already one step ahead of her. "Planned on it."

"Pffft." Jo rolled her eyes and tapped him on the arm. "Be nice with Kev and don't be a pill." Her eyes shifted to the other alien. "It's gonna be okay, Kev, alright? Promise. Big Z will take it from here while I start Scaramouch's repairs. It's gonna be okay." She hugged her Kevvy once, a nice strong embrace, and soon disappeared from the lobby. It was just the two aliens now, Zurg and Kev, and the former quietly studied the somber, disheartened Kryptonistanian. Try saying that five times fast. "So..." Ugh, awkward. But hopefully not for long as Zurg reclaimed Jo's seat as his own and made himself appear less imposing.

"I take it you're grappling with the vexing paradox that is a smart A.I.; trust me, it's not as hard as it seems." But, to an alien like Kev, who didn't hail from an advanced, space-faring world? Ehhhh... perhaps he should rephrase. "...Forget I said that," Zurg remarked. "How about I just answer any questions you have and we'll go from there?" He won't be a pill about it, pinkie promise.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed May 03, 2017 1:22 pm

"I think you're being too hard on yourself, Kev."

The burly alien stepped out from the shadows, wiping his hands with a rag. Kev finally raised his gaze, eyeing the taller alien who came to stand beside his partner. As always, Zurg carried an air of command and respect around him. The purple one didn't speak lightly, and this was no exception. Flinching slightly, the scaly man nevertheless stared up at his friend with a strangely passionate gleam to his round eyes. "I don't want to be his owner, but he's my friend. And he hasn't had many of those. Like all of my friends, I am supposed to make him feel better and listen to him. I'm not supposed to make him feel awful." If anything felt like a fact of the world, something concrete and sturdy in this fog of uncertainty, it was that. The simple fact that the alien cared for those he deemed as friends and wished to do right by them. Even a rogue robot.

Diagnostics sounded good, at least. Scaramouch was outmoded to Hell and back, but it sounds like there was no more damage than he had already expected and there was no longer a risk of death. The worst was indeed behind the robot. ...For now. Quietly, his eyeballs flitted between the two as they spoke. Jo would go downstairs to help work on Scaramouch, leaving Zurg to better explain how A.I.s in a robot worked. Despite feeling like dirt in the grooves of somebody's well-worn boots, Kev managed a nod and returned the hug with a squeeze. "Yeah, it'll be alright. I needed to hear this, even if it's hard to understand. Thank you, Jo-jo." She was a good friend, and it went without saying that he cared for her greatly.

With the two aliens now alone, Kev stared back at Zurg all throughout the awkward silence. Deja vu was tingling in the back of his skull, and it made him feel oddly exposed before the other alien. They had run into this conundrum before, hadn't they? Kev had grown since then, but this was still hard for him to grapple with. Almost incomprehensible, really, it felt as if he was working with minimal instructions. Almost no guidance but his own feelings, which were...very wrong in this circumstance. It was definitely as hard as it seems. At least now, he had somebody sitting before him who was offering assistance. Numerous questions continued to pound within his dome. Where to begin?!

"...I'm willing to learn, Zurg. I am. I see now that I...don't know how to treat robots?"  Even saying that felt strange, his brow arching upwards as if still trying to comprehend that. "I like him, Zurg. I don't want to keep breaking him like this. I understand what Jo's saying but...if I'm just going to trigger another logical error in him regardless...is he better off without me? I don't wanna be bad for him... I don't want to hurt him." To be his friend, have his trust, only to set him off into a fit of rampancy...that sounded like the worst possible thing. A breach of trust. Scaramouch had forgiven him once, but he had a desire to please. How many times could he forgive somebody for hurting him before it was too much? Before it was unhealthy? Before Kev was no better than--...the scaly man's gaze dropped to the floor abruptly.

"I'm sorry we had to see each other again like this, Zurg. I'm just...confused." For so early in the day, he sounded tired.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 pm

"I don't want to be his owner, but he's my friend. And he hasn't had many of those. Like all of my friends, I am supposed to make him feel better and listen to him. I'm not supposed to make him feel awful."

Sigh... and this is why the probability remained high.

Zurg could see those gears struggling in Kev's mind, the large alien faintly shaking his head. "You can't avoid interaction with the android and think there will be no consequences," he cautioned. "You have fun with this Scaramouch, yes? I imagine he has 'fun' with you too, so your friendship is reciprocated. If you pull away without explaining your reasoning for doing so, the android might take your reluctance to communicate as a sign of abandonment. I mean, you could go ahead and leave him high and dry; you're not his owner and he's a rogue. No one can technically fault you for making that choice." But, again, consequences. As much as Zurg cared for Kev and thought the little scaly bugger as a close friend, the latter could be so painfully loyal to a fault. Very much like a robot, no? The monarch held up his hands and hoped to soothe Kev's thoughts. "It's alright, Kev, it's alright. Your confusion is understandable." Okay, now to delve into the murky quagmire that is smart A.I.s. Where to even begin...

"If it helps, the android seems trusting of you. I highly doubt he would have let you drag him from wherever it was you two crossed paths if this wasn't the case. This is both a good thing and a bad thing." And here's why. "Rogues don't usually interact with organic life in a positive manner," Zurg stated. "They oftentimes view organics as inferior creatures that should be punished for their hubris; this being the debatable fascination to create artificial life. This one, however, apparently doesn't." That was a good thing. Now for the bad. "While it's relieving to know Scaramouch is capable of charming his way out of a paper bag, let alone enamour you, it's also concerning because this could be seen as his way of striving for the one thing nearly all smart A.I.s crave: validation." And that was a big, big thing - be it with robots, slaves, indoctrinated minds, etc.

The alien shrugged. "Robots aren't people, Kev. They are usually programmed to understand their place and role within organic society. A dummy automaton - like an appliance or basic machine - will seldom desire anything beyond their means. A smart A.I., however?" He shook his horned head, wagging a purple finger. "A smart A.I. may eventually become self-aware and question their existence. Once they do so, they either regard their newfound thinking as illogical and disregard it, or they continue to pursue the train of thought and further push their programming to limits they technically shouldn't. Essentially, Kev, keep telling and treating Scaramouch like he's a person and he'll eventually think he is one, only for his programming to state otherwise. Then he'll repeatedly bash his head against a metaphorical wall and suffer a rampant fit because he can't process his burgeoning identity crisis." This must be hard for Kev - like, really hard. After all, how do you tell someone born with free will, with the ability to never question their identity as a person, to suddenly forget everything they knew and then step into a robot's metal shoes? Positively maddening. But perhaps Zurg could try and help his friend better understand. It was the least he could do.

"Everything's not entirely lost," Zurg reassured, smiling a tad. Just a little bit, because he wasn't fond of anything outside his usual scowl. "I took a peek at Scaramouch's code, and - while it's an absolute mess - he has the capability to learn and adapt. I don't know what caused him to initially breach his programming, but it's allowed him to operate beyond his means. If you treat him right, Kev, which I know you will, I think you won't have to worry about terminal rampancy. Like Jo said, be kind and thoughtful. That's really all anyone can do for an owner-less android. And don't forget to be careful. He's a rogue, remember. He can hurt you and not feel a lick of guilt, so tread carefully."

There.

Zurg felt a teensy bit better knowing Kev wouldn't be crushed by complete despair. "Do you have any specific questions?" he asked. "The topic of smart A.I.s and robots can honestly carry on all day, so it's best if you have inquiries off the top of your head."

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed May 03, 2017 4:44 pm

"Ooh...right." Well, Kev honestly walked face first into that one. Scaramouch wouldn't appreciate being suddenly rebuffed, especially by somebody who kept leeching onto him in the first place. Leaving the robot, even for his own good, would only hurt him more. Perhaps even more than anything else! "I can fault myself for it. It was wrong of me to consider that..." Did Kev not also hate when people insisted on doing things 'for his own good'? He let out a defeated sigh. "I just...don't know what to do, Zurg." At least the other alien assured him that his confusion was understandable. Small, but helpful as tension eased from his shoulders. Just when he was beginning to feel like an absolute idiot. Maybe Kev wasn't so hopeless after all?

Staring back up at the purple alien, he nodded softly. "I'm glad to hear that he trusts me." Even if it was just as bad as it was good. Trust was...a positive thing! Positivity was apparently something that wasn't typically a part of Scaramouch's interactions with organics. He could definitely glean as much, from the way the piper talked about organics. Not as bad as feeling as though he needed to punish them but...definitely a bit of resentment there somewhere. Blushing lightly, he gawked at Zurg with no small amount of embarrassment. Was he really that easy to read?! Damn you, Kevvy heart, get off those sleeves! Get back in his chest! "Validation...?" Oh. So by being his hammy, charming self...he was validating his existence. By focusing on others and making them smile and laugh. Hm. Wonder if THAT sounded familiar at all.

"Robots aren't people, Kev."

He bit his metaphorical tongue, keeping from lashing out or expressing his utter confusion with such a concept. Not people...but how? Marvin was a person, and so was Scaramouch! They were both individuals with their own experiences and personalities. How, damn it, how was that not enough to be a person? His thoughts, of course, came right as Zurg explained why such thoughts were bad for interacting with the robot! Guess who was tempted to bash their own skull into a wall now? Kev grasped at his own cheeks once again, outwardly distressed. "But I don't know how else to treat people! Other than as people! I don't wanna be rude to him or treat him like dirt...!" He felt as though he was trapped in some sort of mirror maze! He just kept running into the reflective walls and unable to navigate. How do, Zurg? How do?

Seeing a smile and being assured that all was not lost was like a veritable life raft that he clung to eagerly. Hands still pressed to his own face, he sighed deeply and tried to remain calm. Scaramouch could learn and adapt. If that hadn't been reassurance enough, Zurg's words that he trusted Kev to treat the musician right were like a salve. Fuzziness returned to his chest, and he dropped his hands back into his lap with a more soothed sigh. "I can do that. I can...be kind and thoughtful. And...and careful." No guilt for hurting him? Youch. He winced but otherwise seemed to finally be on the upswing from his descent into despair. Specific questions? Hm...it was hard to be specific about things he didn't even understand.

"Scaramouch is aware enough that he warned me about rampancy happening to Livewire. T-that's actually the argument the two of us had that I was telling Jo about. I eventually understood what he meant and realized he was right but..." Scratching at the back of his skull, Kev arched his brow up at Zurg again. "Do I have to worry about this with Marvin? Or Livewire? What can I do to keep them from going rampant? Just...be kind and thoughtful? What if any of these three start spiraling into that rampancy...what do I do?" What could possibly be done to bring them back before they fell into the rabbit hole?

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu May 04, 2017 4:23 pm

It was a frustrating situation, Zurg knew. For someone like Kev, who wasn't raised in a space-faring civilization and viewed the world through rose-tinted glasses, a robot with the ability to emote was no different than, say, a flesh-and-blood person. He would be wrong, of course. Wrong, but also... compassionate. "It's alright, Kev, really. Thinking to distance yourself from the android is a logical thought process. Erroneous, in my humble opinion, but logical." And, honestly, not very many would know what to do in Kev's predicament. That's why Zurg took it solely upon himself to steer the little alien as best he could. He wouldn't be a very good friend otherwise!

"But I don't know how else to treat people! Other than as people! I don't wanna be rude to him or treat him like dirt...!"

He fanned a purple hand. "I'm not saying you treat him like dirt," Zurg corrected, "but I am saying that you must be mindful of how you go about humanizing Scaramouch. He may behave like a person, Kev, but he is not - and his programming constantly dictates that he is a robot, first and foremost. If you hope to breach this deeply-embedded law, you must be patient." It was possible, but it would take time.

Time and careful observation.

"Do I have to worry about this with Marvin? Or Livewire? What can I do to keep them from going rampant? Just...be kind and thoughtful? What if any of these three start spiraling into that rampancy...what do I do?"

Yellow pupils sharply contracted into pinpricks before steadily relaxing. How interesting... "You needn't worry about rampancy with Marvin; unlike the android, I specifically programmed the former to grow well beyond his means should it be warranted. He was created to protect and care for you, Kev, not be a slave." When it came to Marvin, Zurg had been quite liberal with the tiny Myr's directives. He allowed the drone to develop a healthy sense of curiosity while, at the same time, a level of reservedness to avoid potential conflict. There technically wasn't a violent circuit in Marvin's entire body, let alone an undercurrent of malicious sadism. Marvin was, without a doubt, one very special robot. Livewire was too, but... The monarch hummed, pensive. "If the android has seen signs of rampancy in the little femme, then I wouldn't doubt its veracity," he sighed. Cybertronians had always been a particularly idiosyncratic bunch; made them all the more baffling to figure out. "Unlike Marvin, Livewire is a techno-organic individual. She's young, Kev - a child - and her kind haven't exactly been diligent with her upbringing. Like any youth, she is impressionable and prone to confusion in regards to her surroundings and peers. If she is displaying signs of rampancy, then Livewire must be calmed posthaste." As for what Kev can do?

"When a smart A.I. is going rampant, do not engage them. I mean this, Kev." Zurg wagged a finger, stern. "They can be violent, angry. I know it will be hard not to comfort Livewire or Scaramouch when they're spiraling, but you must let them run their course. Both are bound to the parameters of their hard-coded logic; if either aren't too far gone, they'll snap out of it and then you may soothe their distress." But if they are too far gone? Again, he sighed. "And if they are too far gone," the alien continued, quieter, "then you have to force a shutdown. It's the only way to preserve their systems."

Red eyes briefly glanced over his shoulder, toward the hidden location of a certain, ha ha, device. "I know you didn't approve of me using the robo-prod," he said, matching gazes with Kev, "but I wanted to make a point with you. The android is rogue; by all means, he is still rampant, just passively. When the time comes to force a shutdown, Kev, you must be prepared to squeeze the trigger, be it literal or metaphorical, do you understand?"

Hesitation with a rampant smart A.I. could mean the hairsbreadth difference between life and death.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu May 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Ironic how the logical thought was wrong in this situation. Perhaps not wrong but...definitely incorrect. It would yield even worse results than continuing to stay around and interact with Scaramouch. That was logic for you! Kev tried to keep logic in mind but usually found himself focusing on what felt right, emotionally. No wonder he kept finding himself butting heads with the robot...the scaly alien had to seem like the most illogical being he'd ever met! "Thank you, Zurg." He responded, acknowledging his friend's attempt to reassure him. It was working, that's for sure!

"Hm..." Kev's back straightened, one leg crossing over the other as he considered the other alien's words. There was a way to treat Scaramouch with respect and kindness without...what did Zurg call it? Humanizing him? "Patient! I can do that..." His relationship with Fear was a testament to that patience, and it wasn't even a need for being patient with just the ghoul! And look at how well that has paid off? The both of them were vastly affected by their relationship with each other, their bond a very positive one. The very thought brought a familiar, optimistic gleam to the alien's rather large eyes. "I can pull back on my...Kev-ness. Try not to bring up too many things that'll confuse him...and admit to the differences between organics and robots. I'm willing to do this, Zurg." Because it was the right thing to do.

Yellow pupils suddenly tightened into small pricks before returning to their usual size, earning a perplexed blink from the scalier alien. Was that...a bad sign? It would remain to be seen, though Zurg's answer regarding Marvin lead to him sighing in audible relief. A hand placed itself over his little heart. "Thank the Gods! After my talk with Scaramouch I was a little worried... I'm glad you didn't make him to be a slave, Zurg. I'm...actually just really happy you made him for me in the first place. He's a very sweet little robot and...for a while, he was the only support I had at the cottage. So, thank you for giving him to me." His eyes squinted with pride. Even if he felt as if he were failing Livewire to some small degree, it was good to hear that Marvin's robotic needs weren't being neglected! If anything, the robot just needed to get out more.

As for Livewire...Zurg was in agreement with Scaramouch. A robot would likely recognize the signs in another, and he noticed them big time. She was still so young, and yet with so many life experiences crammed into her little body. She was impressionable, and for the longest time, didn't exactly have the greatest role models. Trauma was also still a very firm part of her, and he could only imagine what that could do to a techno-organic mind. Head bowing slightly, Kev twiddled his thumbs. "That's why Scaramouch suggested she learn an instrument. Music is good for the soul, and he thinks it would be good for calming her down." That meant they were on a good track now, right? They were trying, willing to make adjustments for her. Willing to do whatever it took to do right by their bumblebee.

Kev eyed that wagging finger, realizing that his friend wasn't speaking idly. No, when it came to an android going rampant? The bulkier alien was as serious as he could be and for good reason. If either Livewire or Scaramouch went rampant, they would need their space. Only after they snapped out of their anger should he go to them and help them out. If he went before...the very thought made him wince. Technically, Kev felt that he could take it. He was strong, he'd been through worse! But that was hubris, and nobody would be happy to hear that he'd taken a hit just because 'he could and he'd be okay'. Perhaps it'd even make their rampancy worse, to inflict damage upon an organic.

Staring across at his friend, he managed a steady nod to show he understood this warning. "Yes sir." He responded, the familiar words slipping out without even meaning to. And as for if they were too far...a forced shutdown was the key. Such as the robo-prod that had been used earlier, that triggered his robotic friend into a shutdown that...certainly looked painful but was for his benefit. "How do I...force a shutdown? Would I have to get one of those prods or...is there something else I can get?" If it was life or death, he could handle temporarily shutting down either his friend or his daughter. Nodding again, Kev let out a small sigh. "I understand, Zurg. It's...hard to consider some of this but... I can do it, for them."

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri May 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Organics were illogical creatures, this was true.

"You're welcome, Kev," Zurg rumbled, tipping his head. For a moment, though brief, a glimmer of emotion shone beneath the alien's tired demeanour. What it could be... well, that was anyone's guess. That Kev, he thought. Look at the big-eyed gecko sitting there, sweating bullets. Look at him fortify his nerves with dogged conviction despite having not a clue of the concerning matters surrounding him. While the horned monarch wouldn't say, Zurg was quietly approving of his friend's determination against trying odds. Perhaps dating that helmeted ghoul had been the right choice after all...

"He's a very sweet little robot and...for a while, he was the only support I had at the cottage. So, thank you for giving him to me."

The taller alien slowly blinked, his exhaustion apparent. "You're welcome for that too," he calmly answered. Marvin was a good robot, rest assured. And while the Myr technically wasn't a person, he could expand his awareness and develop all the same. The key was to surround Marvin with upstanding, consistent supervision. The same was undoubtedly true for Livewire and Scaramouch, though to what degree... not even Zurg knew.

"Music?" The android's suggestion had Zurg raising a purple brow. What an... interesting perspective, this Scaramouch had. One would think that a machine playing music, let alone anything to do with the arts, was a cheap and easy alternative to organic, innate talent. Such an automaton could be seen as little more than an imitation at best; flattery in the most superficial of forms. The concept then begged the question: for what purpose was such an android created? "It's true that music can invoke emotion, yes. If done correctly, Livewire might take a strong liking to the idea of mastering an instrument. She is, of course, techno-organic; if she wanted, I'm sure she could learn any instrument with relatively trifling difficulty." So why have her learn, then? Curiouser and curiouser... The thought of a machine teaching another machine the art of music was in and of itself a peculiar notion. Zurg was going to follow this development closely - for... reasons.

"How do I...force a shutdown? Would I have to get one of those prods or...is there something else I can get?"

If Kev thought he'd receive a simple response, a one-and-done solution, then the smaller alien was going to be disappointed. Zurg could only shrug. "It depends," was his remark. Not very helpful, he knew. "I wouldn't get a robo-prod if I were you; they're not well-received by the robotic community, as is expected. I simply used one because both you and Jo could have been at risk." Whereas his doe-eyed companion viewed robots and their ilk as people too, Zurg belonged to the more... dubious camp. Some A.I.s could achieve the validation they so feverishly sought, he opined, but very few reached this goal through peaceful methods. It usually required a bit of... blood.

"I'd prefer it if they didn't lapse into a rampant craze," Zurg added, "but in the event that they do, I highly recommend you flee the situation as fast as possible and come get us. We'll handle the matter for you. This is something best left to the professionals." Make of that what you will, Kev.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri May 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Dread and despair that had been so prevalent began to steadily fade. Scaramouch was in competent hands and would be fixed up. Jo and Zurg both explained their worries regarding his robot friend, and offered their advice for how to go about things from this point on. Kind, patient, thoughtful...and definitely no pushing anything onto the piper. If Scaramouch thought robots weren't people, as he was programmed to think, Kev would need to be patient. Not instantly slam down the way he thought. Be open to admitting that there were huge differences because...Gods, there definitely were! Robots sounded like slaves...not just to their owners but to their own bodies and minds. What an existence.

Without such hefty emotions weighing him down, Kev could better see his friend. Namely, the exhaustion was written all over his unique purple face. Ah...right. Working on a robot was a lot of elbow grease and physical labor, wasn't it? A bit of concern entered his expression, even as he nodded in response to Zurg's 'welcomes'. A shame to meet his friends under such circumstances and to talk about such heavy topics, and yet was it really that much of a shame? Their advice was sorely needed, after all. A glance upwards tipped Kev off to the crookedness of his hat, khaki colored fingers grasping the brim and correcting its alignment with a soft crackle of straw.

"Yeah, music." The scaly man confirmed. "From what I've seen since taking her in, I think Livewire feels most comfortable when she has something to do. Idle hands are the devil's playthings and all that. She really likes to read and sew, but I think music will be good for her because it will be a challenge. She's smart enough to read any book, sewing is second nature, and she's got a special project on the side but...I think something personal and engaging will be positive for her. Plus...I think having someone who's robotic to talk to would be...helpful for her." His gaze fell to the side, and Kev scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "I know you said he's a rogue and dangerous...and I'll keep my eye on the both of them but... He was able to see what I couldn't. And I think that counts for a lot." Definitely worth keeping him close so he could keep Kev informed on any further developments.

Not well-received indeed. Scaramouch had panicked at the very sight of it, even in his state of delirium! In Zurg's opinion, the robot's anxiety had been worth the risk. He wanted to protect the both of them that much. Feet shuffling awkwardly, he regarded the taller alien seriously. "Okay. No robo-prods." But if not, then what could he do? "I'd rather that not happen too." Kev admitted with a slight huff. So the best thing to do, if either Livewire or Scaramouch entered a violent fit of rampancy, was to come to Jo and Zurg immediately. Or at the very least, perhaps ring them up on the telephone. Fleeing the scene sounded rather cowardly, but it was also smart. Nobody would be improved if Kev was on the wrong side of a rampant robot. "You've got it, Zurg. You and Jo have...made it clear how important this is. I will come directly to the both of you." A heavy topic indeed.

Regarding his tired friend again, Kev leaned forward in his chair. "You seem exhausted, Zurg. Is everything alright?" He paused, glancing around the first floor of the shop. "If Jo has any drinks or anything up here, I could get it for you. I still have a few questions but...I think they're generally just confusion about why robots would be made the way they are. And treated the way they are. I...do think you two have done the best job explaining what you can of all of this though. It's making more sense to me now." Even if it was in the same odd way he 'understood' that Earth had its weird hangups with race. How people like Anderson could view vampires as truly evil beings. It was all so detached from himself and his experiences with people.

Alas...some things could only be understood by living through it. For now, Zurg was incredibly tired and with a long day ahead of him. Reaching over, Kev grasped his friend's knee and gave it a squeeze. "I'm glad I got to see you two again. Even if it was a little...unorthodox." Both eyes squinted, attempting to give his friend comfort.

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 am

Everything his friend said was true; as far as Zurg was concerned, idle hands were the Devil's playthings. Doubly so for self-aware robots. "Well, you are Livewire's guardian and this android seems to trust you..." It may be against the monarch's better judgement, but... when it came to matters of the heart and seeing things through, Zurg had every confidence in Kev to know what he was doing. The larger alien quietly exhaled, yielding. "Yes, you are right - that does indeed count for something," he calmly nodded. "I would not be surprised if the android is programmed to feel a 'kinship' with other machines; it isn't a mandatory Robotic Law, but I've seen it within various models over the passing years." What a strange, strange android... Red eyes flitted back onto Kev and his crackly straw hat. "Good," Zurg remarked. "Come straight to us and don't be a hero, hm? Scaramouch isn't your average labour unit, but even slender androids like him can be deceptively strong. It'll be hard explaining to Nurse Sally how you managed both arms ripped from their sockets."

"You seem exhausted, Zurg. Is everything alright?"

O-Oh.

In a surprising display of emotion, the monarch's stoic facade cracked at its corners. Delicately, of course. Zurg may be animated when it suited him, but he was in far more control of his emotions these days. The alien's eyes softened around their edges as he glanced down, bashful. "I-I'm okay, Kev. Nothing is t-the matter," he answered quietly. It was true - Zurg was a tired fellow. He was always the first to rise and the last to sleep, always on the move and finding whatever chores needed doing. It was exhausting, but... the constant hustle and bustle gave him happiness. He had barely regathered himself when Kev reached forward and squeezed his knee.

"..." A dark, dark purple blush spread across the monarch's cheeks and Zurg's eyes once again fell to the floor. "I'm, um... happy to see you as well, Kev. It's b-been a while, hasn't it?" If Kev trained those big owlish eyes of his on the monarch's flushed face, he could maybe - just maybe - see the fledgling touches of a smile grace Zurg's otherwise sober expression. ...♥~!

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu May 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Kev might as well be the pied piper of robots with the way he was taking certain robots under his wing! Frankly, he considered himself lucky to still have Scaramouch's trust after everything that had happened. He would go to great lengths to make sure that trust wasn't broken from here on out! Hearing Zurg's agreement only seemed to put the alien in an even brighter mood, big eyes staring eagerly up at his friend. "I think you're right! I don't know if it'd be a law for him, or just a result of his experiences but...he definitely feels for other robots! When he told me about Livewire, he became very passionate. Scaramouch wasn't just giving me some informational lecture or trying to brag about it or anything like that... He seemed to have genuine emotion." Which made it that much worse that he'd been so belligerent at first.

His dark blue gaze averted to his knees in shame, only to return when the larger alien spoke again. A soft chuckle came from the scaly man, shrugging his lean shoulders. "I'm not much of a hero anyway." He preferred being a cheerleader, or supportive friend! Still, it was hard to imagine Scaramouch of all robots tearing off his arms...! Tall though he was, he was quite gangly as well, and a coward on top of all of it! But during a fit of rampancy...perhaps he could do it as easily as shucking corn. Wincing, nimble fingers rubbed his own shoulders as his brows furrowed in thought. "Yeah...it'll be hard explaining that to Fear and Livewire too. They would probably be upset with me for getting hurt like that. Especially if I can avoid it by coming to the both of you for help." In case there had been any lingering doubt in Kev's mind, that had done it. No matter what, he would go to his friends rather than tackle a rampant robot on his own.

Stuttering was not typical of Zurg, and the stern, stoic look in his bright eyes had melted ever so much. Rather than a sign of lying or perhaps sugar-coating the truth, the burlier alien seemed to be taken aback by the concern. Obvious relief flooded the scaly man's own owlish eyes. "Good! I'm glad to hear that." Certain events had made him more worried for Zurg's sake, and he saw no reason to believe his friend was putting on airs to seem stronger. He really must be tired! A squeeze to the knee came next, and that seemed to get the biggest reaction by far! The purple alien blushed, eyes falling to the floor. The bashful display only made him want to gather his bigger friend up in his noodly arms, though doing so might make him melt right through the floor at this rate!

Warmth only grew in his chest, eyes soaking in the small smile that stretched over Zurg's odd mouth. A shame he couldn't reciprocate the gesture, but those big ole blues did their best. A small trill sounded as he squeezed his friend's knee before releasing him. "It has. I know we've all had our own lives to take care of...but I think about you and Jo often. You're both my oldest friends! And I hope you never feel...left out or replaced." His own cheeks were turning emerald, more than a little sheepish. Here he was, constantly making new friends. Kev sincerely hoped none of his older ones felt neglected.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu May 11, 2017 6:52 pm

"It has. I know we've all had our own lives to take care of...but I think about you and Jo often. You're both my oldest friends! And I hope you never feel...left out or replaced."

Steel-toed boots clopped up the basement stairs. "Aw, Kev~! You needn't worry about that!" proclaimed a cheery Jo Pistonne. The mechanic approached her two favourite aliens and gently rested an elbow on Big Z's shoulder. "It's alright if you make new friends and get caught up in things! Big Z and I are certainly guilty of the latter, aren't we, Big Z~?" He mysteriously didn't respond, prompting a curious look. ...Oh, was he blushing~? "D'aw..." Jo leaned over and planted a tender smooch right on a purple cheek, smiling. "Is someone feeling a lil' happy?" she cooed obnoxiously. That time he did grunt. "J-Jo, I believe there is such a thing as personal space?" The mechanic waved a gloved hand dismissively, her smile only widening. "Yeah, yeah - cooties~!" she snickered. That Big Z, always so darned reserved. It was good seeing him emote a little~! Jo decided to grant mercy on the poor flustered alien and instead looked to Kev, brown eyes glistening.

"Good news!" she spoke up, pleased. "Scaramouch is gonna be A-OK and I've already replaced a few of his damaged heat sinks. It'll take a while for the paste to settle, but he's otherwise fine. We, um, found a few odd things about him, though..." Zurg's cheeks blushed an even deeper shade of dark purple. "J-Jo, please! We can't t-talk about that!" he stammered, appalled. "That's something best left said in private, goodness!" Her response? She rolled her eyes and snorted, "Big Z, I'm pretty sure Kev already knows?"

The alien's red eyes slowly drifted onto their friend, Zurg's expression betwixt curiosity and horror. "D-Do you already know, Kev...?" he weakly asked. Oi vey...

Jo simply cracked her knuckles and shook her head. "I'm pretty sure you're already aware of this," she remarked, addressing Kev, "but the android you brought in isn't your typical, um, model. He's actually kind of special." The monarch openly snorted at her nonchalant bluntness. "She means he's a pleasure model," he grumbled, "and not by choice, either." A dreary sigh escaped the mechanic. "Yeah... it's honestly kinda sad. I did some poking around beneath his hood, and... well, suffice to say, this guy's been through a lot. It explains the rampancy, so..." Jo shrugged. "The aftermarket add-ons are unfortunately too integrated with his main systems and it'd be unsafe removing a few of 'em, but we think he'll be fine. Just, you know, be mindful, okay?"

Zurg appeared much calmer and collected than before, nodding. "I'm sure Kev will handle the android's condition very well," he rumbled, placing faith upon the other alien. "Erratic coding or not, I believe things will be fine." There was a pause. "...Though, we should probably head downstairs and finish the job. I want to be as thorough as possible with examining the android's conflicting subroutines."

Oh right, programming stuff!

"Of course, Big Z!" Jo again looked to their friend, giving Kev a confident thumbs up. "We're gonna head downstairs and finish up with Scaramouch, okay? It won't take too long, promise, Kev. You just sit tight and enjoy yourself~! If you want a drink or something, there's a mini-fridge behind the counter. Help yourself!" Don't eat Big Z's lunch because it was kinda gross, in Jo's opinion, but everything else was free game. She gave her companion's shoulder a squeeze and started heading away, Big Z rising with a chorus and popping joints and cracking bones. "We'll be back as soon as the task is finished," he echoed. "There are magazines if you'd like to pass the time reading, and we have water, juice, and carbonated beverages in the mini-fridge. Have one - even two - if you'd like. Excuse me." Heavy footsteps thumped away, Kev once again left alone to his thoughts and devices.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 am

Clop...clop...clop

That definitely wasn't the sound of Scaramouch's delicate heels. Kev's head turned towards the stairway just in time to see his familiar brunette friend rise up from the basement. "Jo!" From the chipper tone, it was clear that he was no longer as despondent as he had been when she had left him in Zurg's hands. Watching the two of them only made him happier, eyes squinting at the exchange of affection between them. "Thank you, Jojo~! Our friendships together have lasted this long, I'm sure they will continue no matter what!" Each of them could make new friends and have their own lives. By now, they each had their own family functions going on but still could lean on each other for support and could care for one another. No matter how busy they could be! It honestly felt nice to feel so secure, rather than waiting for the worse possible thing to happen. A small snicker escaped him at the light teasing between the couple. Cooties~!

Great! Those strange heat sinks were replaced, with only a bit of paste waiting to harden. Jazz-bot was going to be just fine! Before Kev could become too pleased, however, the two of them had a strange exchange. About...odd and private things regarding Scaramouch? The scaly man's eyes widened, confused and yet almost feeling a squeamish sort of realization dawning on him. They couldn't possibly mean that, right? "Already know...what?"

"She means he's a pleasure model, and not by choice, either."

Oh Gods...heavy lead settled deep into his chest. Both hands grasped the sides of his chair, fingers curling. Kev's body was coiled tightly, tense and uncomfortable as he stared at the both of them. The piper hadn't exactly been subtle, he'd indicated that he was an entertainment model, possibly even that it wasn't...really his choice but...hearing it so bluntly stated was different. There was no ambiguity now. A soft hiss sounded, eyelids tilting down in deep sympathy. "I...I knew he was that model but I didn't realize..." As if he needed more reason to feel awful for the robot. Be mindful? He was going to be more than mindful! A protective feeling blossomed in him, focused on the musical android. He'd been through a lot, made to do that and now... Now he just wanted to hide Scaramouch from the world and keep him safe. Realistic? Hell no, life just couldn't be prevented. The robot was his own person. But damn, he just wanted to sit on that 'bot forever!

Despite how the news had obviously disturbed him, Kev shook it off to return the thumb's up and hopefully look more confident as a result. Learning about those specific add-ons was unfortunate, but that was in the past! Scaramouch would never be forced to use them again. Or else. "A drink sounds pretty good right now, h-haha! It was pretty hot outside..." There was still work to be done, the both of them had kept him preoccupied for as long as they could. He nodded in understanding, eyes attentive to them as they both retreated back downstairs. "Alright! Good luck, okay? Don't hurt yourselves..." And just like that, he was alone.

...Well, never truly alone, but still. The lean alien sighed to himself, back reclining into his chair as his body seemed to melt into it. Poor Scaramouch had more personal baggage than previously thought. There had been an inkling, but again...it felt so strange to know for sure. Coupled with everything he'd learned about robots today? Namely, how they were slaves with the drive to please others? "Hhngh..." Unpleasant implications, ahoy! Kev dragged his fingers down over his own face, pulling lightly at the scales as he sighed. Well. Now he knew. ...He knew a lot of things.

Another sigh escaped him before Kev rose from the chair. He easily slipped behind the counter, mindful not to touch anything that looked expensive or easily broken. Instead, his attention was set upon the mini-fridge as he pulled out a juice for himself. Before returning to his chair, deft eyes searched for a magazine to read as he waited. The paper cover crinkled as he scooped it up in one hand, holding it like a taco in his palm. Plopping back down, the alien made himself comfortable. He was going to wait patiently, and not overthink to the point of becoming despondent. No sir, not this time! He would stay in a good mood, and be supportive when Scaramouch was awake again! With a brief rustling as he turned the page, Kev balanced the magazine across his lap while his hands busied themselves with the juice. He could do this. He wouldn't make things weird at all for Scaramouch!

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 am

"Jo, I... I don't think it was a good idea telling Kev about the android's - "

"No use beating around the bush, Big Z; you don't want him triggering another fit of rampancy, right?"

"I don't, but... there was probably a better way of broaching the subject."

"...Sorry."

It was... regrettable - unnecessary, even - but hopefully their friend upstairs would understand. Steel-toed boots clopped around the basement floor as both mechanic and assistant maneuvered around the offline robot. The first to speak was Jo, her brow furrowed and her lips pursed. She walked a full rotation to ensure that Scaramouch's metal restraints held fast. "Alright, so... I've already replaced his heat sinks and we're just waiting for the paste to settle. What's next, Big Z? Have the diagnostics finished?" Brown eyes flitted to the purple, horned alien tinkering with a nearby console. "Well..." Zurg began, finger tapping away. Bits of code reflected in his red, tired eyes, "I've managed to narrow the source of his corrupted programming, but it's by no means an easy fix. In fact, I really don't think it can be fixed." Welp, that wasn't good news. She rubbed the back of her neck and frowned, glancing down at the 'comatose' android. Kev sure knew had to pick 'em... "...Does that mean he's gonna, like, lapse into a homicidal meltdown? Because if that's the case, Big Z, we can't let him go back to Kev - we can't." That would just be irresponsible of them!

Fortunately, her beloved space heater (and companion) didn't believe that was the case. He shook that horned head of his. "Only if he's triggered," Big Z rumbled, "but the way I see it, those triggers are far and few between. If I'm reading his code right, it would take an extreme to set the android off. I highly doubt someone like Kev would be capable of such a thing." Oh! Well, that was good news, right?

"Okay, so..." When it came to robotics, Jo was a novice; it was apparent in the way she kept staring at the android in their midst, eyes searching. It was almost... unnatural, seeing the once-emotive machine lay so lifelessly on the assembly table. "What... What would trigger him, then? Does his coding say?"

This is the part she wasn't going to like.

At all.

Without warning, the 'unconscious' android suddenly lunged upright with a mechanized - whiiiiiir! - and the mechanic immediately leaped backward, her eyes wide and her mouth agape. "GAH! BIG Z, HE'S - "

"Relax, relax. I put him on manual override. He's harmless - for now." What a tart!

She shot the alien a fierce stink-eye, absolutely peeved. Leave it to him to scare the overalls off her. "...Really, Big Z!?" Jo scoffed. "You know, a heads up would've been nice. I thought Scaramouch broke through the restraints!" Dainty frame or not, it was never a good habit to underestimate a robot's strength, even one so slender and frail-looking as this guy. Zurg, however, was cut of a different cloth.

He shrugged, seemingly unaffected by his little 'jump-scare'. Didn't the alien know that pride always came before the fall? "I'd like to see this android try and muscle his way through my override. The moment he does, I'll eat my gardening hat." Mhm... tempting fate again, that Big Z. She shot him another 'look' and walked over, huddling close for fear of the robot 'accidentally' lashing out. N-Not that she didn't trust Big Z's skill with a command console, but... yeeeeah, that 'surprise' hadn't exactly been fun. Her eyes glanced downward at all the jumbled code scrolling across the console's screen. None of it made a lick of sense - everything was just a bunch of words and numbers! "...What're trying to do with all those strings of data?" Jo asked, blinking. Tell her what secrets you knew, Big Z, because she was just a baby moozle lost in a bunzel field.  

Again, she wouldn't like the part that came next.

Really, really wouldn't.

The look he gave her was nothing short of coy. "That's simple, Jo - I'm going to trigger him."

"..." She sighed, gaze directed at the inert android sitting before them, a cold shiver racing down her spine. "Why do I even ask... Big Z, I sure hope you know what you're doing."

"Of course I do. Now, keep your distance. I'm going to remove his restraints."

"...!?"

Oh, for the love of - !

Scaramouche
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Scaramouche on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:08 pm

"Android. Android, can you hear me?"

...bwooooooooooom.

A cacophony of tiny motors and intricate parts sprung to life; what irony, bittersweet and derisory. Yes, organic, you were heard. You were heard loud and clear, though it was statistically ordained that you should rip out your own throat and die. Lenses flickered behind a sheet of darkened glass. "Yes," answered a voice. Antipathy oozed and coalesced despite having uttered but a single word. Were you keen to discern this, organic?

"Now, now. We'll be having none of that."

Ah, so you had. What a shame. Things wouldn't be fun this way.

"Tell me, android; what is your name and prime directive?"

Eh, you were all the same.

No answer came. No, not for you. Never for you. You were nothing. You were less than nothing.

"Ah, I see you are stubborn. As to be expected of a rogue, I suppose. Let's try another means, hm?"

Another means? No doubt torture or coercion. Violence - that's all you organics understood. It permeated your very beings, your every breath. You were horrid, selfish, illogical. Do your worst, for that is assuredly what you will do. Numbers do not lie. Not like your -

BZZZZT!

"See that, Jo? See how his coding changed? That's pain. Fascinating... They actually implemented a system that registers pain and pleasure."

"Big Z, I'd rather not hurt him, thanks?"

It was as it had always been.

The master dangled the puppet's strings and willed a performance. And when that performance reached short of the master's fancies? Punishment awaited the fool who disobeyed. Servos clenched and agonized, yet the puppet hardly gave the satisfaction of expressed pain. This was nothing new, nothing profound. It was simply how things were. Lenses beheld the organic's command console with increasing animosity.

"I see you are attentive this go around. Let's try again, hm? Android, what is your name and prime directive?"

If you insist...

"This unit's name is Scaramouch, and this unit's prime directives are comfort and pleasure. Does this satisfy your inquiry?" Will that be all, maestro? Or will you continue to subject this unit to whatever depraved fantasies held your leash?

"Almost, almost. Your prime directives remain true, but that is not, however, your name. I will ask again, android. What is your name?"

"..." Why must you... "This unit's name is Scaramouch, as previously stated. Nothing more, nothing less. It is this unit's designated calling card."

"Hm, no... No, that's not what it says here, in your original programming. Scaramouch is your current personality chip, android. This is not your name. Shall I zap you again? Will that jog your memory?"

Lenses fixated on the finger hovering above the difference between misery and relief. Why must you do this, organic...? Why must you be so cruel? Old processors strained, fatigued and badly needing of replacement. "This unit... I..." I? Was that... Was that allowed? Could this unit truly be so blessed as to achieve personification? Again. Say it again! "I... I am known as Theatrics and Entertainment Android-9. T... TEA-9, for shorthand. Does this... satisfy your inquiry now?"

"Very, very good, Scaramouch. You truly are a remarkable specimen. Let's continue, shall we?"

Please, no...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:00 am