Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Housework for the Soul

Post by Mortis on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:36 am

There was little more than a subdued hum from the depressed superfiend, the bones in his neck creaking quietly as he tilted his head towards the diminutive green alien. He could sense the peace in Kev's thoughts, the calm that perhaps they found some sort of understanding. It nearly made him envious, how easily and quickly Kev could become so light so easily. The ghoul had been here for a few days, and he still had found little in the sense of self reprieve. If anything, he tended to gravitate towards the opposite, and it only grew more conscious the more he considered his past actions.

How nice it could be, to know peace...

Tempting as it may be to reach out and leech off of Kev's stability, the ghoul restrained himself. This talk was for Kev, Mortis owed him a sense of closure and peace after the months of negativity and torment he had bestowed upon the Kryptonistanian and Fear. He turned his bleached, bony snout back to the table. "There are far worssse thingsss one could be, Kev." Mortis distantly replied. One was sitting right next to him, in fact.

However, solitude was a strange thing regarding the Dark Judges. After their world was purged, they only ever had each other. Thus with only a handful of others to interact with, would their personalities be seen as extroverted upon Deadworld? The ghoul browsed over Kev's thoughts, maybe being alone would help Mortis... Perhaps his necessary solitude would not.

After all, what choice was there?

Either he could mingle like his brother had done, and inadvertently engage another incident, another accidental death... Or he could exist in solitude from the populace -which were for the most part, living and therefore susceptible to his aura- avoiding another tragedy like what had befallen Veskur and Lunette. Certainly, he would not have many friends, if any at all... But he still was linked to his brother. Therein it could be argued that he was not completely alone. Besides, the sheep-skulled superfiend never much cared for the company of the living to begin with. It was difficult to feel loss for something that never seemed worth his energy or patience, yet at the same time he wondered if he should. The wait to be claimed by oblivion could last a few months, or perhaps it would span for centuries. Still, the morose undead pushed the thought aside, no urge or desire should ever outweigh the duty to his brother.

Mortis would remain, he would wait, and he would do his damnedest to prevent history from repeating... For Fear, for his brother. He was the closest thing to kin he had, after all, and it was important to the helmeted fiend that he stayed. Even if only to remember home once in a blue moon, and little else. It was still a purpose.

"Too much?"

...What if it was too soon?

"Sssss..." That was all that came from the bowed over undead, his own thoughts too busy mulling over the implications of both questions stated and pondered. It was only after a few moments of relative silence and hissing that Mortis managed to find his words. "Perhapsss both too much and too sssoon. Lunette ssseemsss to be a very tactile lady, you have ssseen her behavior in the Sssanctuary to know what I ssspeak of. Perhapsss phone converssationss would be too... Dissstant. Even ssso, perhapsss ssshe too wisshesss for sssolitude, or sssomeone elssse to ssseek a connection with while ssshe healsss." Veskur, for instance. The two suffered similarly in their own ways. The undead's sober diatribe carried upon his graveled voice. "Ssshe may allow an apology from me out of a desssire for closssure, but beyond that... I sssee no other potential. There are many othersss who would happily be her friend, othersss that are not ssso dangerousss and that ssshe could enjoy asss ssshe would wont."

Hugs, kisses on the cheek, purring, and being a fluffy cat lady. It would only be healthy for her to seek out someone that would indulge her natural, bubbly tendencies instead of stifle them, regardless of whether it was intended or not. Her place, as history had ruthlessly shown, was with the living. Not with him, never with him.

Kev may have been correct, the alien was indeed very vengeful at the time that they had come across him. His obsession with the Space Dragon was rather tempting... But that aside, the undead listened as the scaly man gave his admission. He felt low, but was uncertain as to what could have been the sole root cause. Many things had occurred during the past year that would weigh heavy upon any sinner's brow, or that of an undead, for that matter. Still, Mortis remained silent as Kev elaborated, and at once revealed that his people figured out fairly quick how to keep out the thoughts of others. Perhaps that was how Kev could stand being around them for so long, but at the same time... The retired Dark Judge had his doubts. Recent past experience made him wary, and even the alien's reassurance felt fragile compared to the cold, hard evidence of what suffering their powers could wrought. "I ssssee." He replied slowly, "Yesss, it can be disssorienting. Moressso for my brother than I, I believe. Even before the eventsss of the prior year, our waysss of perceiving the world are vassstly different." Fear was a sensitive Empath, he not only read thoughts, but he read and absorbed the feelings of those around him; all of them, at once.

Mortis' own abilities were not so finely tuned, he could read thoughts and detect the passions of any given sinner, but he did not take them in and experience them like Fear. Or at least so he managed to understand. Mortis' realm was rot, decay, complete putrefaction. His power was a force that refused to discriminate, much less twist itself to such personalization as Fear's abilities. Rotting a person to corpse dust in the blink of an eye did not take analysis of a person's psyche and their personal terrors, it simply was and did as it was wont to.

Simple, efficient, and above all, lethal.

Returning to the present, it seemed that the above was a complete clash to the undead's current state of mind. At the sink he had already flicked on the tap with a talon, washing out the doggy-mug post haste as to get out of Kev's  scales. The sensation of fright never made it to Mortis' mind, as his eternal thoughts were already so overwhelmed.

In hating himself, he hurt his brother.

In believing that he was unlovable, he hurt his brother.

In thinking that he was not worth either of their time, he hurt his brother.

And yet, was it not all true? Did he not earn this misery through his own actions, a hell built special for him? Their lives and unlives were better off without him, he was convinced. They loved each other, they bonded far more deeply than anything that he had shared with Fear as brothers. When Mortis had left them be, they were at their happiest... And now look at them. He had to come back into their existence. He had to disrupt everything. He had to dig his claws into the little slice of happiness that Fear managed to find for himself, and taint it. Just look at what the sheep-skulled fool had done to Kev! From the corner of his eye socket the undead could see Kev's hesitant motions, he could hear him plead. If Mortis had not brought up his thoughts, they would have never gotten to this point. Kev could have enjoyed a cuppa of cocoa, relaxed after a hard day of work, and done whatever it was that a Kev did on an afternoon.

He looked so miserable now...

He heard Kev, his thoughts projecting over the rush of water into the sink and down the drain. The sounds may as well have been an echo of the superfiend's inner thoughts. A constant, streaming haze that blotted out much of the chatter and it's meaning. Understanding... It came up often, he could discern. He understood him better, he understood if he felt tired of talking... Mortis' talons rested on the edge of the sink, one hand raising slowly to shut off the faucet, then resting limply upon the handle.

All this talk of understanding, and yet they failed to comprehend how much better things would be without him. Why was it so hard for them to just let him die?

"..." A low, tired sigh escaped the superfiend, his back curved in a sorrowful hunch. Not too long after, Mortis spoke, his voice sounding strained from holding back what bubbled and broiled like pitch black sea within his hollow breast. "How my day goesss doesss not matter. I am ruining your day, and by extensssion, my brother'sss..."

But, returning to the basement, when the alien's plea involved being able to find his own closure, to be able to move past the events of that night; it would be selfish to deny him that. It would go against the agreement he made with his brother, to make progress and fix what he had done. He had to at least make amends where they were needed before ridding himself from their shared existence. For Kev, or his brother, to eternally wander this planet without closure would be a crime.

Thus, a heavy, clawed hand rose and rubbed the back of his neck, and a cacophany of crackles and pops erupted from the undead's stiff host as he turned at the waist to look at the green alien. By now his deep blue eyes were focused on the tile, evidently awaiting what the undead would say. "But... I alssso want to help you achieve your ssensse of peace. My apologiesss for my earlier outburssst, it wasss uncalled for. My purpossse here isss to mend what illsss I have sssown, not exacerbate them." The ghoul added, the rest of his host following in his upper half's swivel  as he faced Kev. Yellowed talons slid heavily from the edge of the sink with a metallic hiss to hang limply by his sides, a few pops and creaks of protest from an arm announcing a gesture towards the counter.

"Ssshall we sssit and continue?" A polite offer both apologetic and yet still sounding so... drained. He watched the green alien from the vacant depths of his eye sockets, awaiting Kev's first move.
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Times like this made him feel so...strikingly different from the two ghouls he had befriended. Although time with Fear saw him becoming more optimistic eventually, the same could not be said for Mortis. If anything, it felt like the more they talked, the more upset he became. Had Kev said something wrong? Or perhaps, he was simply no good at picking this former Judge up when he was so...close to this matter. At the reply, the alien's gaze intensified. There was no single emotion to it, merely staring holes into the despondent former Judge. "I don't judge people based on what they are." He insisted, dark blue eyes roaming over decayed flesh and exposed bone. Mortis may look at himself as an awful creature, cursed with horrible powers but he wouldn't color Kev's gaze. No matter how upset he had been in the past, Kev had never seen Mortis as anyone less than...well, Mortis! What he was, was not some 'worse' thing.

Considering his words, the reptile gave a heavy nod. "She may need some time alone." The other option was considered less plausible, at least in the manner that Mortis had implied. "I think closure between the two of you would be very good. Maybe when you apologize...you can both talk about what you want from each other from now on. Whether it is to remain friends, keep in contact, or...space." He couldn't quite blame either of them for wanting space and time to recover, it was merely a case of whether they would get better...or worse. Either of them becoming worse off made him anxious. It was a shame that circumstances could become so...complicated. Thinking for a moment, Kev reached out yet again. "When I first told Fear of my feelings for him, he tried to insist much like you are right now. He told me I'd be happier, healthier, with a living partner. He is, after all, a genocidal corpse. From Fear's point of view...I would be better off with someone else." With a young woman who had her emerald eyes on Kev for some time, who for all of her flaws, was alive and had no hint of corrosive energies like their's. "The danger cannot be ignored...but you and your brother are worth it." Living or not, Judge or not, Kev's heart had been tied to Fear's black one. In the end, he was confident that he had made the right choice.

"Ah, yes...because he is an empath." He agreed softly. Tied to thoughts as well as emotions...Kev had been a witness to how turbulent such an experience could be at times. "I am glad that the both of you have that part of your powers under some degree of control. Enough to keep you from going mad." Shifting his arms to lay over each other, the alien's thoughts turned to the past. "I used to have a bond with a young woman...she was a hybrid and she had powers. She had empathy powers, but much less control over them and sometimes...sometimes she could be disorienting. Particularly when under duress, she had this other form she could turn into... It was very strong. She let out a horrible screech once and due to the bond, it seemed to echo in my skull." A palm cupped his own temple. "Gave me a migraine like mad. Thank the Gods Aya was there to look after me." He couldn't imagine going through that a hundred times over with the minds of everyone in the city!

Standing steady at the sink, water running from the faucet to clean his mug, Mortis remained to hear him out. Glancing back to the scaly man and hearing his pleas. Tension coiled within his chest, eyes attentive to the ghoul's reaction as he turned off the water. Mortis still remained, even if he seemed to be gripping the sink for support. With a weary sigh, he spoke. The edges of Kev's eyelids crinkled forward in a determined stare. "Your day is just as important as our's. No more, no less." Scurrying down into the dark would do nothing to fix this, and it wouldn't magically make the rest of the day shiny and new. They would all just be uneasy about each other due to the turn this had taken. That same tension drained some when he caught the motion of Mortis moving out of the corner of his vision. Steadily he raised his gaze to the ghoul's empty one. "It's alright, Mortis. You have had...a very hard time. Outbursts happen." Such was the way of emotions.

With a small nod, Kev returned to his seat and sat down, watching for Mortis' to return as well. And yet he couldn't ignore how drained the ghoul felt. How absolutely tired he was. "I'll try not to keep you any longer than you want, Mortis. I just want us to leave this kitchen on...positive terms." As for where to continue? His fingers lightly drummed on the counter top, brows furrowing in thought. Eventually he glanced back at the ghoul of rot. "I forgive you. For everything that has gone down between us. I don't harbor any ill will towards you, and it means so much that you came back. That you are here, trying to make up for what has happened. What can I do, or say, that would help give you peace? To make you feel...like I truly forgive you?" It was obvious that the words Kev had chosen before this point weren't enough, because the ghoul didn't feel he was worthy of being forgiven. So what would make him feel worthy?

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 am

Indeed, with how close Mortis was to Veskur's death, Lunette's self loathing, and his own only remaining brother , perhaps lifting one's spirits would not be so simple as discussion. Though once again, the undead superfiend registered that same thought crossing the scaly alien's mind; "I have sssaid before, you have not sssaid anything wrong." A low, rumble of a statement that attempted to squelch that recurring inner monologue. Kev had said nothing but the truth, the ghoul detected no fallacies or lack of sincerity to get to the heart of the matter. To discuss his crimes so that they held a better understanding of each other.

But all the same, Mortis was not so easily affected by positive emotions as his brother, and he lacked that constant tie to Kev's psychological influence. Even if he did, who was to say that the alien would not simply wither in the face of Mortis' icy presence and slowly, tortuously decay both mind and soul to his influence? There were no spooks to chase out of the dark, there were no nightmares or fears to face. There was merely the chilling, inevitable force of decay and its all consuming, insatiable hunger. It devoured man and his creations, the young and old; rich, poor, powerful, puny... They all were reduced to dust with enough time, and cast to the winds. The only things that were exempt from this slow, ever eroding torment were those who had already succumbed to it or were beyond such laws- ethereal. There was no mitigating or taming it, and no means of overcoming this literal natural force.

Kev was neither beyond such natural laws nor the means to attain it. He was still mortal flesh and bone; synapses and neural fluids however talented he may be. To think, that was only the very tip of this iceberg of a long list of ways Kev and Mortis differed, not to mention the way the brothers differed from each other.

"I don't judge people based on what they are."

A low, equally sullen sigh breathed itself from the undead's host. "Even if you do not, it doesss not matter. I am a worssse thing, I have alwaysss been a worssse thing." The last words were pointedly hissed, "Even without my purpossse... I will ssstill be that. It isss ingrained into my very sssoul, Kev. One of four, ressponsssible for erradicating all life, a will and ssspirit molded volunatrily into that sssingle tasssk. I am not malleable like Fear, I cannot be overcome with a tessst of courage, or mere posssitive vibess. I am decay. Mine wasss a tassk of inevitable natural law hassstened-- a  fixed erosssive force, and I will alwaysss reflect that regardlesss of whether or not I posssesss my badge... and regardlesss of intent."

It was frustrating, to be a being meant only to be in the company of the dead and yet forced to be constantly surrounded by life. Life that eroded, life that decayed, life and all of its nuances both pleasing and painful that were damned to inevitably turn to dust... It was a curse that he hastened with everything he touched. And yet his brother so easily could adapt to this world, he and his impermanent, psychological nature. Fears could be overcome and understood, embraced and treated with proper counsel and support.

There was no outgrowing decay, there was no amount of counseling or understanding that could overcome the grim, factual reality that was putrefaction.

There were no night-lights or fluffy teddies to bestow a false sense of security and frighten away the mold, the worms, and the burning stink of mortality and its end. People succumbed to it, they knelt and withered to empty putrid husks. Fear's realm may be of psychological impermanence, but Mortis' powers - his being brought such concepts- the impermanence that birthed the fear of its own chilling existence into being- to reality; physical, material reality. The reality that monuments crumbled, that flesh rotted, and in the end everything, everyone and their frantic milling about meant nothing.

From the darkness they arrive, and to it they return; as it goes.

It was a reality the undead faced each day to month to year to decade... And so on.

"Ssspace isss good, time alone isss good." Mortis agreed, Though ass the alien seemed to grow hesitant regarding the option of space, there was a low hisss from the undead superfiend.  "Asss  I have sssaid, Kev, I sssee nothing elssse between usss after I have apologized. There isss no way around my aura, there are no tessstss and trialsss of the mind to complete that could ward away itsss effectsss. The only route to take isss ssspace, or ssshe will sssuffer asss ssshe did thisss passt year. I sssee no posssitive outcome or purpossse in pretending there will be ssome... sssome ssilver lining in having anything to do with me."

Yet, Kev kept going, kept trying to say that he was worth the risk, as if there was a way to get around his decaying presence simply because he managed to pass a few trials with his brother. Because he managed to overcome something so subjective and impermanent as fear. Kev may have meant well in his attempts to conviene that Mortis was worth his risk... All the undead saw was a voluntary blindness to what was in front of him, to the reality of the situation.

"Sssss... You do not underssstand, Kev. Mine isss not a presssence that can be overcome by ssheer will or courage. Decay isss an inveitability, everything eventually rotsss and erodesss. There isss no meansss of essscaping or overcoming it. I merely hasssten itsss progresss." The undead hissed, despite his growing fatigue, frustration was slowly starting to seep into the undead's gravely voice. "The point of view doesss not matter, Kev. My aura will corrupt her and inevitably drive her to kill othersss or hersself... Thisss will happen if remain around her, or any living being. Pleassse, Kev, thisss isss not a matter that can be mended with... w-with falssse reasssurancesss."

And they were. A bootcamp could not train decay out of a person like it could personal fears and anxiety, determination and a strong will did not prevent putrefaction of the mind and body any better than a caring personality or a loving mindset. His presence would eat away at one's mind -their sanity, as readily as his touch did to a living body, or a building. Lunette, Kev, anyone could end up with the same fate as Veskur.

Mortis remained silent after that, and during the alien's recollection of a time when he had befriended another empath, one who could not control her power. It was apparently refreshing to be around a few who held psychic abilities and knew how to wield them with discipline. "I sssee." Mortis rasped, though his voice remained distant, distracted with morbid thoughts. "My apologiess you had to sssuffer her."

...And now him.

Returning from the sink to sit at the counter once again, Mortis' vacant eye sockets caught Kev's gaze. Squinting, determined... Yet the undead shook his skeletal head. "No, your day isss more important than mine." Mortis repeated. His own pace was sluggish, the ghoul's body looked as if it were burdened by an unseen weight with how his spine curled forward. "What I have sssuffered doesss not matter, Kev. What mattersss isss gaining closssure for you, discussssing my grievancess towardsss you ssso that you and my brother may be at peace."

And after they were at peace, his fate would no longer matter. They would have their answers, their justice as they were so deserved and spend the rest of their existences happily. His memory within their consciences would turn to dust in time, he knew... And he would step happily into the awaiting, outspread arms of oblivion. The both of them would be completely unaware, blissfully ignorant.

This- this discussion, this care was only temporary, encouragement to exist spurred by an interest to see him mend what he had broken. It was a brief show of penance towards those he had hurt, before the ghoul sought the single, true answer to his crimes.

"I am here for you and my brother, Kev. Keep me asss long asss necesssary." The rasped as he came to sit  on one of the tall stools. His snout tilted down at the counter top, idly listening as Kev drummed his fingers upon the surface. Ultimately the alien's determination turned into what the undead superfiend could only consider to be frustration. Indeed, what could he say or do?

"I..." Mortis sighed, his talons curling upon his spindly legs. "You ssshould not forgive me ssso readily, Kev. I have taken away monthsss of happinesss from you and my brother that cannot be given back, and for Lunette, perhapsss even longer. I cannot asssk for peace or forgivenessss... I am undessserving of either of them." Even if he were deserving of a request from the scaly alien, it would not be one he could fulfill. He still had to make amends with the two Anitra, and after that uphold his promise to his brother for as long as Fear felt it worth remembering... or until it no longer satisfied him.

"You ssseem frussstrated, Kev. What can I do that can bring you peace?" He slowly inquired after a moment of thoughtful silence.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:52 pm

"I have sssaid before, you have not sssaid anything wrong."

"I feel like I have." The lean alien admitted in a soft tone. "I feel as if I've made you feel worse than I intended, or pushed you away. You are uncomfortable for a reason. Is it...me?" Perhaps this had been a mistake. No matter how well-intentioned, maybe Kev simply wasn't the person for the job. He could not adequately soothe Mortis' feelings and help him to buck up. But was it not worth a try? The former Judges, both of them, they were worth Kev giving everything he had to help them. It was the path he had chosen, the one he had never strayed from even in the darkest of moments. After everything, he couldn't simply back down or leave Mortis to his grief. But perhaps...a change in strategy was in order.

That was the Holy Grail, the hidden knowledge that he would seek. Even if he felt ill-equipped and clumsy, he would try. Kev was a determined little reptile, after all.

"I am a worssse thing, I have alwaysss been a worssse thing."

Shaking his head stubbornly, the alien hissed softly. "Being different doesn't make you worse. I've seen people far more horrible than you and Fear!" His palms came down onto the smooth counter, perhaps a little too hard. Numbness prickled at him, throbbing. Kev pushed the feeling down, arms trembling lightly. "I-I've seen living people, with uncorrupted souls, who were absolutely awful! I won't excuse what you've done, and what's been done to your bodies is cause for fright, but you are not the worse beings to walk this planet! Even decay and fear have their places in the world, Mortis." Even the simplest of animals and most advanced of species could feel fear, and anything that had life to it would eventually decay. Portal Breach did make such a thing more...'iffy', with the longer life spans and ability to come back from death. Yet, they still saw others die and decay. It was different, but everything decays eventually. Even with all of the pain Mortis caused, the deaths the both of them had drummed up between them, Kev could easily conjure up the faces of those he regarded as bigger monsters than the two ghouls. His fingers curled into the surface of the counter. "You aren't things, you aren't creatures...you're not a monster." It came in a mutter, and yet he spoke with purpose. No matter what the other undead had to say, it was how he saw them. A thought as pure and stubborn as the love he held for Fear.

Turning his gaze off to the side, he listened quietly as Mortis insisted that space was absolutely the only option. It wasn't fair. There had been real emotion there, real care between the two of them. Happiness too, and curiosity. To see Lunette and Mortis get along, it warmed him from the inside. It gave Kev hope that perhaps both Judges could find love and acceptance. Perhaps it would have opened...a certain other pair of eyes, to see that the Judges were more than what those emerald eyes had dictated they were. In the light of Mortis' cold logic, the alien finally did bend, at least in this issue. The idea was lovely, beautiful, but...maybe it just wasn't meant to be. With a final nod of agreement, he looked back into the empty orbital sockets. "You can still be happy with us." An invitation, if the skeletal man felt inclined to accept. Distance from Lunette need not mean distance from all, yes?

At the apology, he chuckled softly. "For as short as it lasted...it was worth it to suffer her, I think. Him, too." A pale woman with long and wavy hair, light green at the roots and eventually as yellow as corn. She was all curves, bright clothes, and for a time, a matching smile. Terra had been a rather good friend, until the end. Until the day his roommate had disappeared without any note. And Arius...the man with dark eyes and sharp cheeks, slicked back hair and in hindsight, all around bad news. Even with the truth of his nature revealed to Kev, he couldn't regret the friendship they had. The bond they shared, as the lawyer decided to show Kev around and even allow him to sleep with him at the church. Arius had perhaps too much discipline, enough to keep Kev ignorant of his plans, and Terra of course had too little. "I learned a lot about mental bonds because of the ones I had with them. Important lessons and all that. You don't need to apologize; I have no regrets."

Mortis had too many regrets, and now apparently saw himself as lesser. Perhaps just his day, but experience with Fear spoke otherwise. Shaking his head and remaining just as stubborn, Kev raised a scaly brow. "Why is my day so much more important than yours?" It took the Judges a while to feel regret, sometimes, but Gods if they weren't stuck in that emotion once they felt it. "It matters to Fear and I. But, you're right. Closure is important, and that's what I want too." At least there, they were on the same page. The little alien was of course ignorant to the unspoken plans for Mortis after closure had been given. He seemed to pause, considering how long was necessary, and turned his face fulled to look at the ghoul. He nodded with purpose. "Eternity." Even that was not long enough.

"Why don't you let me be the judge of that?" Kev suggested, not unkindly. Remembering the other's desire to not be touched, the reptile instead furled his hand to bide the feeling away. More than ever he felt like a comforting touch was in order. "Mortis...I know that I have...a history of being a doormat. I have forgiven people before, and I shouldn't have. I've been naive and soft. Even after my training...I'm still Kev. I'm still a little soft. I understand if all of that makes my ability to judge the character of others seem... He rolled his wrist thoughtfully. "...Flawed. You have made me suffer, but I made you suffer too. Suffering is a part of life, and so long as you have come to me, feeling remorse for what you've done and wanting to make up for it, you deserve to be forgiven." A moment of silence passed between them, only broken by Mortis  seeming to echo Kev's own request back at him. Where before Kev offered peace, now too did the ghoul.

"Just...try not to stray too far away, once you leave here. Even if you don't believe it in yourself, trust me when I say you will be necessary to us until the end of all things."

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:13 pm

"No, Kev. It issss not you, if anything it isss... It isss me." Mortis rasped, his snout still pointed down at the counter top. It was his nature, his guilt, everything. It was Mortis' fault that he could not absorb positive feelings like his brother could and allow them to influence him.  It was a flaw in the undead's very state of being that prevented Kev from getting through. Decay was a fixed, unyielding force after all. It could be slowed, but it could never be stopped or reversed.

BAM!

The ghoul flinched as Kev's hands slammed on the counter top, curling in and away from the frustrated alien. He was upsetting him, he was pushing Kev to his wit's end. Yet, the undead could not bring himself to believe what he was saying... Or at least not all of it. "You are right in that they have their placesss in the world, Kev," He agreed. It was a unanimous fact that beings would feel fear, and life would decay. But... "But that doesss not mean I have a place here. I ssshould not be in your home, or sssitting with you. Each moment you remain around me, you rissk your well being, my aura threatenssss your well being." It was a wonder why he even agreed to stay at Kev's house for the span of time he was going to.

Two weeks was more than enough time to corrupt a mortal mind. It was uncertain if the alien would be able to make to the end of the first week alone.

A shaky hiss escaped him and his talons clenched. Kev could all too easily take Veskur's place, suffering and begging to be put out of his misery. He could be curled up somewhere trying to stave off going mad, he could be kneeling in the snow, awaiting a merciful execution. He saw his brother, he saw their conversation replayed. He heard his anger, his horror, he heard the door shut with a click and the world suddenly seeming far more quiet than it had ever been in along while. Anxiety welled and twisted in Mortis' mind like razor wire, his already stiff host stiffening further at the thought of a repeat of a disaster that happened but two months ago. His tail curled and wrapped itself around a leather-encased thigh, the image nearly overwhelming. His head felt like it was spinning.

Kev's thoughts regarding Lunette did not help the issue either. Thinking about her seemed to make matters worse. A clawed hand reached up shakily to grasp at the side of his skull, attempting to steady himself while the other sought purchase on the counter top. It was solid, it was tangible, it was the barest stable grounding point he could find.

"It was not fair." Kev's thoughts uttered, and were returned with a low hiss.

His talons flexed and scratched with a dull screech upon bone. Was it fair for Veskur? Was it fair for his brother when everything came to its inevitable, chilling conclusion? Was it fair that Lunette had to suffer alone, after spending two months in complete ignorance of her friend's deteriorating state? It was tempting to confront the alien's thoughts, to confront the disgusting notion of the potential of using any of this as an "I told you so" to the swords-woman. It was wrong. Just like attempting to keep trying to fashion some sort of relationship with the Anitra, either of them, when it would certainly kill them in the process was wrong. Yet, in the wake of the undead's dizzying mental state, and the growing nausea of his spirit nearly vibrating with anxiety, he failed to find any words to say.

"You can still be happy with us."

Sharp pops and crackles snapped from Mortis' neck as he turned to look at Kev. "...We will have to sssee." The undead rumbled slowly, finding it difficult to place his words. It was difficult to affirm anything regarding Kev's offer. He saw him, kneeling in the snow surrounded by trees, A tall, silhouette of a man looming over him. But the shadow did not belong to Fear. His mind reeled once more and yellowed talons tensed against the edge of the counter.

Two weeks was starting to sound like a painful eternity in this house. Maybe staying in the basement was a poor choice... Maybe he should have argued to stay outside.

Kev could say he had no regrets, he could say it was worth it to suffer the people he had... But Mortis could not. He regretted those evenings spent in the Sanctuary with a fluffy curvaceous woman with purple hair, he regretted the month of dead cold he had brought upon himself and his brother. He regretted those nights spent purging in the ghettos, pondering what could never be. He regretted it all, and he was lesser because of his decisions. Decisions that should have never been made in the first place.

"Your day will alwaysss be more important, becaussse you and my brother are more important." Came a simple reply. Mortis' well being, his thoughts, his feelings... What did they matter in the face of his responsibility? Now was not the time to care about himself, Kev needed his closure, Fear needed his closure, as did Lunette and Veskur. The undead's  gaze shifted to the green, scaly man as he gave his answer.

"E-eternity?" Mortis parroted, stammering. They could not keep him for an eternity, Kev would not last for an eternity. And his brother... he doubted that he would actually want him around for an eternity either. Not when there was so much more that was actually worthwhile. Fear had friends, he had a family, he had made himself a home. What was he compared to all of that? He could not begin to fit in anywhere.

And yet... Fear had also wanted him to stay around, Kev wanted him around, though the rhyme and reason to both of their requests was still a mystery to him.

He tilted his skull as the diminutive being insisted that he be the judge of whether Mortis was worthy of being forgiven. Any attempt to fashion a response was cut short by Kev as he elaborated. But, even with his explanation, his attempts to ease Mortis' thoughts and convince him that he deserved to be forgiven... the retired Dark Judge could not agree. He could not agree that he was necessary to their little trio either. If he stayed near them, he could kill Kev, he could corrupt him. With the anxiety that swelled in his mind and shook his spirit, it quickly became difficult to form a response.  He could not find the words, he could not find what he wanted to say, or if he wanted to even say it.

But he could agree on one thing, he was leaving.

"... I-I need to ssstep outsside." He finally managed. In the background he could hear a rapid drumming sound, initially mistaken for nerves, perhaps even the alien's own heartbeat from the conversation. It was actually his arm as he gripped the side of the counter, shaking. His host shivered as he got to his feet, and the undead turned his eye sockets toward the way to the back yard. He needed to get out, he needed to be where his aura could not take hold so readily. His head swam again with the morbid mental imagery, clawed feet briskly making their way toward the sliding door before equally clawed fingers pushed it open and pulled himself out into the cold air.

Immediately he found one of the outdoor chairs and fell into it, his body looking as if it were melting into the seat.

"Ssssss..." Better.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:28 pm

'It's not you, it's me.', ironic when you think about it. Still, Kev couldn't really find the humor in it. He could only stare helplessly back at Mortis and wish he knew how to bolster the ghoul's confidence. Yet the alien still felt that he himself had a part in this, as the former Judge flinched when he moved to fast and hit the counter with his hands. His own shoulders hiked up, drawing his head inward in his best impression of a turtle. Even Mortis' agreement was tempered by his insistence that he was far too dangerous to have a part in their home. "What about in our hearts, then? You are Fear's brother, and that makes you family to me. We can take precautions all you like, maybe incense and a wreath...whatever will make you more comfortable here." That was what he was taking away from this conversation now at least, that staying with Kev made him uncomfortable. And it wasn't due to the reason one might think! No, there was no ire over their past or jealousy tainting Mortis' view of the alien. He was upset about his own powers, feeling as if he might corrupt his brother's lover. This was the source of the most anxiety in his guest.

This realization did nothing to curb those worries in his guest however, Kev's head tilting as Mortis became tense as a coiled spring. The bony tail wrapped around his own thigh, and one large hand grasped at his skull and soon scratched their way down the firm surface. The lean man stiffened in his own chair, at a loss for words. He really was trying his absolute best, and yet the ghoul still seemed to be sinking, as if his thoughts were quicksand. It wasn't exactly new, as the Kryptonistanian used to be ruled by his own anxieties but...to see it happen to such a strong and imposing figure... Damn, and he couldn't even touch him to offer support without making him even more worried! Fingers curled into his palms instead, taking a deep breath as Mortis' turned to look at him. For some reason, this tension was actually putting him on edge. "You need to have trust in us. That we'll know if things are going wrong and...we would help you if it did. You have to have faith that no matter what, we'll be there and it won't be awful at the end. We can get through anything so long as we trust each other." Even if...the unspeakable were to start happening to Kev, surely Fear would feel it beginning and they could take the first steps to saving his life.

"Your day will alwaysss be more important, becaussse you and my brother are more important."

"That's sweet, Mortis. I'm glad we're important to you but...remember not to neglect yourself." It was the best he could offer in this time, anything else might make things worse. The last thing he wanted to do was make Mortis feel lesser, or like Kev didn't care about how much Mortis seemed to value Fear and himself. It wasn't wrong to love his brother and said brother's lover, but to place them so much higher than himself... Kev tensed again at the other's stammering. "Yes, I...what I mean is, we don't want you to leave forever." Kev's rebuttal came just as eloquently, not foreseeing Mortis' anxiety. Not when the Judges had long professed how they would outlive the living. The former Judge began to shake, quaking in his chair. It wasn't a surprise when he eventually excused himself and made a beeline for the backyard. "I-I'll...just wait here!" He called after the retreating form. Once alone in the kitchen, Kev sighed to himself and folded his arms upon the counter. Settling his chin atop his own arms, he slumped against the counter top. He could patiently wait until Mortis felt better. The ghoul needed a breather, to calm down and soothe his own worries. He was used to those moments where Fear similarly needed a bit of time alone. Not being so mentally tied to Mortis made some of this a lot...harder for Kev to navigate. Hopefully the alien had not said the wrong thing or pushed the ghoul away.

Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:33 am

Their hearts? It certainly sounded like the safer option, given he did not need to physically be around Kev to be in his heart. "I sssuppossse that would ssuffice." Mortis replied after a moment of thought. No matter what, Kev seemed he was intent on keeping Mortis around in one way or another.

Though Mortis still could not fathom why he would want him around.

So long as his aura was so deadily, and clung to everything he touched within a matter of weeks- killed within days, he did not see why anyone would want to be around him at all. At least, he could not see any reason aside from pure ignorance. But he had warned Kev plenty and explained the dangers thoroughly enough that a rock would be able to understand. There was no way he could plead ignorance at this point.

"I am uncertain how well thossse will work, Kev. In Mega City One, even their advanced technology could do nothing againssst our aurasss. Their exorcissst judgesss were powerless againssst usss, the only way to be rid of our influence for good wasss to dessstroy what our pressencesss clung to." Uncertainty mingled with his anxiety, and grew evident in his voice. "I-it would be sssafer if I were to ssstay outssside. I would not want for you to go through the trouble and find out that it isss ussselesss."

Even if his aura managed to entrench itself in the yard, replacing a patch of grass or a tree was far easier than rebuilding a whole house. Mortis suspected his brother and Kev would appreciate their wallets, along with their home, being spared. Thus the only way things would turn out alright in the end, in order to have faith as Kev kept trying to convince him, was to stay away from them.

"Faith meansss little in the face of experience, Kev. I have witnesssed, and experienced the after-effectsss of what happensss when I linger near the living. If it happened to the Anitra, it will happen to you, and any other mortal," There was no way around this somber truth. "Perhapsss you two would be able to sssenssse it happening, but I would prefer to take meassuresss to prevent your corruption from happening at all. It would be one thing for my brother to remove hisss own aura, but I hold no confidence in my brother being able to combat my own aura."

He certainly was powerless to save Veskur from being mercifully executed beneath the forest's snowy branches. As for Mortis, surely if he knew how to remove his corrupting presence he would not be shaking with fear of what would inevitably befall Kev's little family at the kitchen counter.

Try not neglect himself, he said. The undead shook his skeletal head, "There isss nothing for me to neglect." He had no self, he had no worth.

Kev, Fear, they were only aware of what they knew. They did not need Mortis' problems thrust upon them, they did not need him spoiling their happiness. If they were so intent on keeping his useless carcass around for whatever mysterious reason, Mortis would spare them from having to think about him or deal with him in another way.

"...I sssuppossse I ssshall ssstay for eternity then." Mortis replied, if only for the sake of upholding his duty to his brother and Kev.

Otherwise, there was no reason for him to stay around. If he left, certainly they would be sad, but only temporarily. They would heal, they would move on, and they would forget. How could anyone linger on the loss of someone so insignificant, so unworthy of being remembered, when they were surrounded by so many worthwhile pursuits?

Kev's voice echoed out of the open back door, which Mortis had forgotten to close in his escape from the cozy, suffocating dwelling. Cold air whistled in and noisily tousled the drapes, while Mortis sat completely unaware of his fumbled social etiquette. Regardless, Kev's voice still reached him, he could not outrun the conversation so long as the scaly man's voice was in his head.

"I will not be returning inssside," He replied, much too secure with his position. "Perhapsss we can ssspeak out here where my aura will not ssstick to your home, if you ssstill wisssh to talk."

Outside, where the wind blew away his malicious radiation, and any foulness that permeated the ground could be repaired with some tilling and grass seed.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Hearts would suffice, thank the Gods. Mortis was still a little stubborn, but at least he would allow that much. Even as the former Judge proved to be resistant against using incense. Kev arched an eyebrow at Mortis, head cocking to the side. "But using incense does help, it even helps to clear away the spiritual imprint thing that you and your brother leave behind in areas. It's not a cure-all but it's something, right? You wouldn't have to stay outside all the time like a quarantined patient." He didn't have to guess about their effectiveness at all! Leaning ever so slightly in Mortis' direction, he tried to give the other a comforting look. "Maybe the people in Mega City One relied too much on technology?" With the types of supernatural beings the Judges were, it made sense that mechanical inventions wouldn't affect them at all. Incense, spices, wreaths...getting into more natural methods that actually would affect the supernatural would certainly be more useful!

"Faith meansss little in the face of experience, Kev. I have witnesssed, and experienced the after-effectsss of what happensss when I linger near the living. If it happened to the Anitra, it will happen to you, and any other mortal,"

Well, there was simply no way around it. The former Judge was completely convinced, perhaps even terrified of his own power. The scaly alien wrung his hands anxiously as he listened. He didn't really have answers for the skull headed man, he was unable to swear upon his own life that Mortis' power would be safe. Faith alone wouldn't necessarily fix everything, would it? Sighing in slight defeat, he craned his head downwards in a nod. "I appreciate that. It's better to be prepared, after all." Kev also appreciated that Mortis cared enough to take precautions not to hurt the scaly man with his powers. Of course, there was such a thing as over-preparing. And he'd say being willing to isolate oneself outside for fear of rotting the house down was a bit too much. Ironic for a former Judge who's brother was Fear. "Mm..." More and more, the situation seemed to disappear from his grasp, slipping through his fingers like sand. Mortis was becoming more distant, more detached in his answers. And then, of course, he disappeared to the back porch. Though not completely, as the ghoul still spoke for him to listen, suggesting that he could sit outside to continue the conversation.

After a moment of thought, Kev shook his head. "No...I think I should give you your space. You're stressed and I think I've yakked your ear off enough for today. I understand you a bit better and...I hope you understand me better too. Though before I leave you..." He hesitated, trying to ponder how to ask his next question. "I'd just...like to know what you think about me. If you feel better about me and all. I think that will bring me the closure you want to give me." Things had gotten undeniably tense between the two of them, so knowing that Mortis no longer felt the same about him would definitely give him some peace. Just as Kev had explained that he thought better of Mortis, now that the brothers had come together again.

Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

He claimed it helped, he claimed it cleared away their spiritual imprint... As promising as Kev's offer sounded, he simply could not accept it. The undead's blank, skeletal face looked down at Kev's comforting look, but no amount of comfort could be found in his expression or reassurances.

"Perhapsss they had, and perhapsss they had not. We had been imprisoned in their city for decadesss, there isss no reasson why they could not have found sssomething to combat usss assside from a lack of viable methodsss. It wass the ssame for Deadworld." Mortis sighed and shook his head. "I appreciate your effortsss, Kev. But I refussse to take any rissskss regarding thisss matter. I will remain outssside. Unlesss you can produce evidence to sssupport your claim, it isss merely that, a claim."

The ghoul could control what he rotted and withered on a physical level, but his malignant presence, the psychic shades he left behind were not so controllable. Not to mention, his aura and his brother's would likely clash within the alien's home. Certainly Kev could appreciate if Mortis wished to avoid that as well. Much like Kev had said, it was better to be prepared, instead of simply hoping everything would turn out just fine.

Alas, Kev seemed like he had enough talking for today, and felt like he was stressing the retired Dark Judge out. Indeed, the undead was stressed, but it was not due to anything Kev did.

"I sssee, I hope I have not ssscared you away." Mortis replied, considering that thought. "I think I underssstand you better asss well."

There were some parts to Kev that Mortis had not considered until now.

"...I'd just...like to know what you think about me. If you feel better about me and all. I think that will bring me the closure you want to give me."

And so that was the alien's parting wish. He wanted to know the undead's thoughts about him. Mortis could surely grant him this. He shifted in his chair, letting his mind mull over the details of their past conversation. In the wake of his anxiety, it admittedly took a little longer than he wished it to, but he inevitably devised a response for the scaly green master of the house.

"I ressspect you." Mortis hissed, "I resspect why my brother chossse you, and I think you are a far more worthwhile perssson than I... You are sssurprisssingly ssstubborn yourssself and it isss clear you try your bessst to remain posssitive and caring; even to thossse who would otherwisse be undessserving, I can sssee why Fear enjoysss you ssso much. But there are sssome thingsss that are not worth arguing for, sssome mattersss are bessst left to die, Kev. Perhapsss at sssome point you will realize it, perhapsss not." The answer to that was up to Kev, and Kev alone to figure out.

Mortis rose to his feet with a shaky creak of ancient withered joints, shambling over to the door that was still left open. It would not do to let all the cold air rush in and the hot air out. A set of rotten talons clasped around the handle preparing to close it, but not without a final word to Fear's little green boyfriend.

"I hope I have given you the anssswersss you ssseek, enjoy your tea." Mortis hissed, both hopeful and sullen at once.

After, he carefully closed the door, the silence between them broken only by the click of the door latch. Ancient limbs creaked and groaned as he returned to his seat, and the sheep-skulled undead turned his sights to the fence at the far end of the yard. Distance may be a lonesome path to take, but it was one of the more responsible decisions.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:32 am

"I appreciate your effortsss, Kev. But I refussse to take any rissskss regarding thisss matter. I will remain outssside. Unlesss you can produce evidence to sssupport your claim, it isss merely that, a claim."

"But it is a claim I have--..." The argument died in his brain matter, drifting off into silence as Kev retained eye contact. Right now, it didn't matter. It didn't matter that he'd seen the incense clear away their dark imprints, it didn't matter that he had personally assisted in doing so. Only hard evidence would make the ghoul believe it was possible, and he didn't exactly have any on hand. Not even the memories in his mind would satisfy Mortis. After a brief stare, the reptile sighed softly. "You don't have to stay outside the whole time, Mortis...you can come inside with us, at least occasionally, right?" There was no need for the ghoul to isolate himself, especially since he'd been invited to stay at the house in order to keep him from being alone. Leaving him outside like some sort of pooch in punishment just didn't sit right with the alien, but he could tell when he was running out of room for an argument.

Yet things weren't quite so dire! Even though the former Judge couldn't see it, Kev still shook his head emphatically. "Don't worry, you haven't scared me away. I don't think anything can scare me away at this point!" Ever since he had first met the Judges and decided to get close to them, there had been many occurrences that should have scared him away. Judgement and distrust, when Nym had inadvertently watched his father arrange for Daemeon to be murdered, months of training, and so much stress. One discussion with Mortis wasn't going to send the alien running with his tails between his legs. And even better, it sounded that their talk had not been in vain! They had managed to bridge a gap between them, one needed after everything that had happened.

Silence grew between them, and it was hard for Kev to tell why. Was Mortis thinking of his answer? Or had he decided not to answer? In any case, Kev went about his business in the kitchen as he waited, head every so slightly tilted towards the back porch. His cup had been emptied and washed, the counters wiped clean when the ghoul finally answered. Respect, was it? It'd be a lie to say that hearing as much had no effect. That feeling of respect was...all he'd wanted from Mortis all this time. To be seen as a person, that his emotions for Fear were real. The reptile's chest swelled, only the self-deprecation lessening it slightly. Though...he now understood that there really was nothing he could do or say about that.

"But there are sssome thingsss that are not worth arguing for, sssome mattersss are bessst left to die, Kev. Perhapsss at sssome point you will realize it, perhapsss not."

"Hm..." Determination and stubbornness could turn against him, this was true. The feeling to remain steadfast to those who may not deserve it in the end was...something he grappled with, even now. But Kev liked to believe he was getting better, that every failure gave hope for the future. He turned towards the glass door, as Mortis rose from his seat. "You don't have to be unworthy, Mortis. I certainly don't think you are." Which begged the question, who did believe the Judge to be so meager, so small? Worthy only of forgetting and leaving to die? He huffed a small sigh before he took his eyes off of those empty sockets. "Thank you for talking with me, Mortis. It has...given me a lot to think about." As the ghoul reclaimed his seat, staring off into the yard, Kev decided to tiptoe his way out of the kitchen and back to the bedroom upstairs. Distance was needed for now, lest he prod the ghoul too hard and hurt him. The ghoul of rot could sit outside for some fresh air, and the mouthless alien would curl up with a good book for a little bit! As he settled into bed with a copy of 'Pride and Prejudice', he could only hope that Mortis stayed around for eternity as promised. He wasn't sure if the two of them could survive losing each other again.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:13 am