Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

I'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay!

Post by Mortis on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:50 am

Time: 11:00 AM
    Date: March 31, 0006

This far into March, most of the snow had melted, and in place of flurries the weather was inclined towards rainfall. On the plus side, the retired superfiend appreciated how the gentle patter of rain on the roof of the house managed to lull Woolie to sleep. However, rain also tended to mean the humidity in the fields skyrocketed. Rotten flesh, of course, was not a fan of humidity. It grew pulpy upon his host and split with the most gentle of movements, and any remaining organs on his person curried favor towards bloating like fleshy balloons. Naturally the ghoul was thankful that his reincarnation process and supernatural state of being left his body completely hollow save for the odd strip of flesh here and there.

Especially since he was trekking to the edge of one of the most humid parts of this continent, right after slogging through a few long acres of swampy grasslands. Given the already dense air, Mortis opted to leave his overcoat at home, and instead only wore his black leather jumpsuit and a green utility belt around his waist; the only remaining articles of his uniform that the ghoul kept on his person.

Upon his back was a heavy bag, laden with an assortment of wood-saws, a carpentry book, a hammer, nails, a few hammer-in screws, and of course the ever-necessary wood-glue. On the outside two axes were strapped to either side of the pack, and below it was a metal pail filled with ice and some choice bottles of refreshments. There was one ting that Mortis did not bring with him today, however. Given that there were going to be sharp tools being swung around, and likely a tree managing to fall out of place, the sheep-skulled undead decided that a day for cutting wood was not a day to bring Woolie along.

Especially since he would be working with someone unfamiliar... At least by his standards.

The little black lamb was upset at first, naturally, but Angemort was proving herself to be a wonderful -if not unorthodox- nanny for the day. Her attentive nature and patient disposition made the undead mare a perfect fit for the job.

Soon enough Mortis reached the edge of the forest, unloading the pack from his back and flattening an area on the grass to unload everything onto. Within moments the saws were unpacked, as was the bag of nails, glue and the rest of the supplies. Not too far away a few select trees were marked with a black handprint, which looked a lot like the palm of a certain undead superfiend. The marks were intended to be purely superficial, as no further damage could be seen upon the chosen trees in particular. For a short moment the ghoul took a look around, then up to the sky as if he were expecting someone.

...But who would want to spend a day chopping wood with a heavily malignant superfiend?
    Shaiamils
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 6

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Re: I'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay!

Post by Shaiamils on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Fortunately for a certain avian doctor, it was not difficult at all to file for a vacation day today. Shaiamils very rarely took a day off from work, so he had many potential vacation days piled up. Still, he always kept his phone on hand should there ever be an emergency that required his attention. Hopefully that wouldn't be happening today, though. This was his day off, after all, and he had an important meeting with a one retired judge. They were to cut some lumber to make a bed for his little lamb daughter. A precious creature, she was.

The feathery alien scanned the forest below him. Fortunately, it didn't take long for him to find the sheep-skulled ghoul. After all, who could miss him? It was hard to forget a face quite like his. It wasn't a face that was easy to miss from a distance, that was for sure. Shaiamils promptly came in for a landing, greeting him.

"'Morning, Mortis. I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long," he said. "I had to pick my cat up from the vet, and she was not happy Ah, but I supposed I can understand. She did just have surgery yesterday, among other things."

A quick glance at the doctor would reveal that he was well-dressed for the occasion today. His clothing was very light, a wise decision. Hard work like this tended to make people heat up real quick-like. He wore a low-backed tank top, easy to take off. And it probably would be coming off at some point. The legs of the pants he wore were also rolled up to his knees, and he appeared to have a few water bottles on hand. There was no sense in getting drunk at a time like this, was there?

"So, where do we start?"
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:13 pm

Supernatural sight granted the undead superfiend the ability to sense the doctor before he was seen, a rather large, flying life-signature headed his way. Ah, so his wings were indeed useful for something other than making the scrawny creature look bigger than he actually was. Just as the bird-man could not miss his rotting visage, it was hard to miss a giant feathery bird flapping about, two empty sockets fixing themselves upon the avian creature as he came in to land.

Long grasses crunched beneath his feet, and Mortis now had the other half of his logging team here at the edge of the forest. "Greetingsss, doctor. I have been waiting for you." The superfiend hissed, the overcast day making the world just dark enough for two pinpricks of red to be barely visible within the bony sockets. As he started going on about the cat having to come home from the vet, the ghoul waved a rotted hand dismissively. "It mattersss not. You have arrived, and now we ssshall get ssstarted." Emaciated legs strode over in long strides to where the tools were left, and the two axes were retrieved from the grassy ground in either hand. There was a thoughtful hiss as Mortis looked over one of the tools, before he suddenly turned. In the time it took to blink, the blade in his hand became a glistening blur aimed right at the bird's feathery body, thirsty steel whistling through the air!

...Yet, there was no splatter of blood, no soft crunch of flesh and bone crumpling under a heavy blade.

There was only an ax held out in offering, and its owner looking at the bird-man expectantly. "I trussst you know how to ussse one of thessse?" The ghoul rasped, awaiting Shaiamils' response. Should he be unable to use them... Well, why did he come out here in the first place? Not that Mortis was against doing some two-handed wood-cutting.

Chopping down a tree was much like chopping down a sinner, in some ways. They both needed a few good swings, and they both toppled over easily once hacked through most of the way.

As for where they would start, Mortis' snout turned towards the first tree, an old oak with a fat trunk. Upon its bark was a blackened handprint, and if inspected would smell like rot and decay, with the surrounding bark feeling soft and rotted. A hiss whistled through his ribs, and soon his reply followed with it. "That one sshall be the firssst, and hopefully only tree we will need. It isss large and old, there ssshould be plenty of wood to work with." He said 'hopefully' since this world was open to its own share of bad luck.
    Shaiamils
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by Shaiamils on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:36 pm

"That's good. I'm glad I'm not late," Shaiamils replied.

Phew! The doctor let out a contented sigh. It was a relief to know that he had not kept the ghoul waiting, and even if he did, it wouldn't have mattered anyways. Still, her never liked to be late for anything, whether it be a party or an appointment. In fact, he utterly despised it. The very thought! Punctuality was a very, very important thing to this bird. It was a common courtesy to him.

The feathery alien could see Mortis making his way over to where he had laid out all the tools, and he quickly followed suit. There was, of course, the expected. Saws, a hammer, nails, and of course, the axes. It would also seem that the former Dark Judge was completely serious about bringing vodka along. That would have to wait until after the job was done.

Swish!

Shaiamils jumped backwards reflexively as the ghoul swung one of the axes in his direction. To his relief, it stopped within inches of his body. Mortis was merely holding it out in offering. Though his heart pounded and his feathers ruffled, the avian still managed to shakily grab the tool that was being offered to him. He took a moment to catch his breath, composing himself.

"Y-yes, of course I know how to use an axe. Doesn't everyone? Mostly everyone?" he confirmed, his feathers steadily flattening back to normal. "But please don't scare me like that again!"

It was then that the ghoul pointed out a nearby tree. Apparently this was going to be the tree that they would be cutting down today. He could certainly see what Mortis meant when he explained that this tree should be the only one that they would need. Indeed, it was very tall, and had a fat trunk to boot. It should probably yield more than enough lumber. At least hopefully it would.

"Understood."
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:29 pm

The ghoul never said he was not late. A low hiss emanated from the superfiend, the bird-man's thoughts absolutely... stupefying. "Don't be ssso quick to pat yourssself on the back, doctor. I had been waiting for you ssso we could get ssstarted, which makesss you... late." Mortis rasped, observing as the large bird decided to have a look over the supplies he brought along for the afternoon. Yes, the usual tools were there, although it was rather bold of him to assume that the vodka was to be shared.

Or that it was to wait until after everything was done. When a being was gifted with the touch of undeath, alcohol failed to do much of anything, especially given Mortis' host was more hollow than stuffed with rotten organs like his brother. All it did was pickle already rotten flesh and give them a chance to fondly remember what they once were.

"Sssss..." Empty eye sockets lingered upon Shaiamils as he jumped away from him. Feathers ruffled, his heart pounded within his chest... Something about its rapid drumming was almost calling to him, an ancient slumbering instinct tempted to rouse from its slumber. Would anyone really notice if the bird was delayed from returning home by several days? Hm... Likely no one important. He was just so alive, and it made old judicial instincts prickle in the back of his thoughts.

Scaley fingers reached out to grasp the ax, and the ghoul relinquished his rigor grip upon it. "There isss more to chopping down a tree than ssswinging a blade around." The superfiend finally rasped, emerging from his thoughts. He had killed enough woodsmen during their initial purge of Deadworld to know. As for not scaring him again, the ghoul gave a low hiss.

"It isss a reflex." The superfiend gave a flex of his fingers, ancient joints and rotted flesh popping and crackling with the motion. He set his own ax on the ground soon after, looking over the massive oak as he reached up to the loose chain hanging from his zipper, and pulled. Although the superfiend was not against getting his rotted mitts dirty, he preferred that his only set of leathers were spared from getting sticky sap upon them and therefore keeping his sparse attire from picking up every bit of dirt, grass, dust and fur that he came across.

The top part of his onesie was peeled off from his host and folded down to wrap around his waist, which the ghoul tied off with the sleeves. Beneath his clothing, the doctor was treated to a gruesome sight, as the superfiend's body was little more than skin and bone*. With that out of the way, Mortis picked up his ax, which looked undersized in his large hands.

Lengthy strides carried him over to where the tree stood, the ghoul winding back with the ax in one hand, and the started chopping.

THWACK!

...Or more, chop. In one swing he had managed to split the tree halfway through its thick trunk, and with a harsh tug he wrenched the blade out before moving to the other side and repeating the same exercise. Another deafening crack echoed through the trees, and a similar cut was made just below the other. "Ssstand assside, doctor." Mortis rasped, stepping around the trunk and planting a rotted foot just below the handprint he had left upon the tree trunk.

He leaned forward against the tree, the massive oak groaning and began to tip back towards the inside of the forest. "Timber!"

GROOOOAAA-CRAASH!

((* The cuff on Mortis' arm is not present at this current time. The pendant is also not present at this time.))
    Shaiamils
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by Shaiamils on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:57 pm

"Haha, just a reflex, huh?" Shaiamils asked the ghoul, chuckling nervously. "Ahh, noted. That makes sense. I suppose I can understand."

Indeed, considering the retired Dark Judge's former line of work, he supposed that he should have expected such things of him. Might as well get used to it, right? The doctor sighed. Such a thing was easier said and done, but at the very least, he would try to get used to it.

It was then that the avian noticed Mortis pulling at a chain that hung from his zipper. With a swift pull, his leathers came open, and the top half was promptly tied about his waist. Immediately he noticed just how hollow the sheep-skulled superfiend really was. There was hardly any flesh left on him to speak of, and certainly no organs. Now it was no wonder to the feathery alien how he was able to carry Woolie about in such a fashion.

Honestly, Shaiamils thought that the ghoul had the right idea. Why not, after all? It couldn't hurt at all. If Mortis looked over, he would see the avian doctor pulling his tank top over his head. Despite the low back, it still took quite a bit of effort. As much as he loved his wings, they could complicate things sometimes. Still, he was able to get his top off, tying it around his waist just as the retired Dark Judge had done.

Surprisingly, one might find the doctor quite muscular underneath his clothes. Relatively lithe, but still muscular. Most of the muscle seemed to be concentrated at his pectorals, probably due to his wings. He also had some fairly impressive biceps, too. Shaiamils then stretched his arms, lightly flapping his wings. It was time to get started, and he supposed it couldn't hurt to do a bit of stretching beforehand.

THWACK!

"Wah.. wow!"

Shaiamils wasn't sure what he was expecting, but it wasn't that. With one swing, Mortis had already managed to cut halfway through the trunk of the tree. One more swing, and down it went, rattling the surrounding forest with a deafening crash.

"So, ah, should we get to chopping off those branches?"
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:27 pm

A low hiss met the doctor's nervous chuckle, empty sockets studying his movements and his thoughts. Though it appeared a level of anxiety was making the oversized bird a little jittery, he seemed genuine enough. Given they were miles away from any semblance of ISO protection and the nearest neighbors to the ghoul's own homestead were... on vacation from their typical lifestyles -which would be life in general- , understanding would be the smart thing for the volunteer wood-chopper to do. A little further away, a few song birds started chattering and chirping among themselves then grew quiet. "Of courssse, isssn't underssstanding all anyone can asssk?" Mortis hissed, appreciative that there were no further argument on the subject.

It appeared Shaiamils decided to follow suit with his idea to spare their top from getting dirty, as while the ghoulwas not necessarily paying attention to what the doctor was doing with his clothing, he could hear the cloth rub against his feathers. Empty sockets glanced over at him, registering clearly from his thoughts that he decided the ex-Dark Judge had the right idea, but a little curious. Not about his physique, but more about... "Ssss, are you certain you would rather get sssap on your feathersss?" For Mortis, cleanup was as simple as just letting his aura putrefy the sticky liquid until it withered away. When it came to sinners -especially ones covered in feathers- the process likely was tedious.

But the bird was a military man after all, certainly he could handle some tar to go with his feathers.

In the meantime, the tree was felled, and the superfiend glanced back in time to see a very surprised Shaiamils. "Undeath grantsss usss many giftsss." He explained simply, before turning his attention back to the felled tree. Most of it was laying back in the forest on top of a few crushed bushes and underbrush. Its branches splayed out in all directions, most of the space that could be used to navigate around it to hack at the branches eaten up by dense leaves.

"Yesss, we ssshall get to it, but firssst let me move it into the field." Mortis hissed, walking over to the tools he set aside to put his ax down before returning to the felled oak. The ground was still soggy from the earlier rain, but it was dense enough to not give way beneath a heavy weight like the fallen tree. "Sssss..." The towering undead made his way over to where he estimated the middle of the tree to be, pushing aside the bracken ferns as he knelt down beside it.

Gnarled claws dug their way under the thick trunk, digging troughs in the damp earth. Leathery flesh tensed and crackled, and there was a dull wooden creak as he pried the trunk off the ground. The superfiend moved the mass of wood onto his shoulder with a grunt, his tail flicking from side to side as he braced himself and slowly lifted. The front half of the trunk started to come off the ground, and the leafy back half soon followed, until the ghoul was standing with his talons digging deep into its bark, supporting an entire tree on his shoulder.

Whether or not the feat took a great amount of effort could not be discerned, as his host looked solid enough and his face was... well, hard to read.

Regardless, the superfiend adjusted his grip upon the trunk before walking forward, his feet sinking into the ground from the weight with each step. Behind him, a few of the thinner branches snapped as they snagged on some of the surrounding trees, while the thicker branches were bent aside. As they had an open field just outside the forest, finding a place to put the tree after he had pulled it out of there was no hassle, and he let the weight roll off his shoulders and onto the ground with an ample amount of space between it and the tools. The ground shuddered as it thudded onto the grass, and the sheep-skulled undead took a moment to stretch his back with a series of obnoxious pops and cracks.

"That ssshould do." He hissed, looking it over before returning to his ax. The tree was the next stop, although as he drew near one of the upper branches, he noticed something... interesting. It was a nest, complete with a trio of confused, startled chicks. "How convenient. We get our wood and a little sssomething extra." He rasped gladly, bending down to scoop up a fluffy, peeping chick from the nest.

Don't blink, for one moment it was in his hand and the next... crunch!

It was in his mouth.
    Shaiamils
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by Shaiamils on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:02 pm

The doctor shrugged at Mortis' question.

"Eh, sap shouldn't be too much of a problem," he said. "It's nothing a good long shower can't solve." And Shaiamils did love his showers. Really long showers at that. If the inn ever had an outrageously high water bill before he moved out, it would probably be reasonable to blame him for it. In that respect, they were probably glad to see the feathery alien go.

Shaiamils continued to admire the raw strength of the retired Dark Judge as he began to move the massive fallen tree. Though he seemed perfectly capable of handling the situation himself, the avian still couldn't help trying to offer a helping hand. He made a beeline for the leafy end of the tree, digging his own claws into the bark. Impressive wings fluttered about unconsciously as he fiddled about, struggling to find a comfortable grip.

The doctor jumped backwards as Mortis eventually dropped the tree to the ground. As the opposite end fell, his end briefly jerked upwards, effectively launching him. Still, he quickly regained his composure, ready for whatever task was to come next.

"Huh?" Shaiamils looked down to see what had suddenly caught the ghoul's attention. It was nothing other than a nest of extremely confused little birds. "Awww, poor things.. Wait, what are you do-"

CRUNCH!

The feathery doctor covered his beak, suppressing a shocked yelp at the gristly sight. Mortis had shoved one of the fledglings into his mouth, promptly chomping it. Seriously! He didn't even have a stomach! Shaiamils glared at his undead companion, silently judging him. Perhaps a few very angry parents would be swooping in soon? Now that would be a sight!
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:23 am

A shrug and an unconcerned statement answered Mortis, along with an image he would rather go without within the bird's mind. Apparently the doctor enjoyed taking long showers, draining the hot water of the inn. "Ssss..." Shaiamils was fortunate the undead superfiend did not room in the same building as him, given most places that housed multiple tenants tended to share the same water heater one way or another. At least from his experience as a Judge back on Deadworld. Mortis, the irritable old soul that he was, would have given the bird plenty of reason to leave early should he hog all the hot water.

How did a late night haunting sound? Complete with poltergeist activity that refused to allow the bird a wink of sleep. Or perhaps seizing the tap shut with a red ring of rust. Either way, he had to agree, likely they were more than happy to see him go.

Alas, as powerful as the former Dark Judge was, he knew very little about the ins and outs of the city's free lodging.

What he did know, however, was that the scrawny bird man could do little to aid him in lifting that tree. His skeletal visage swiveled back for a short moment as he saw him rush back towards the leafy end of the tree and acted as if he were going to hold up the rear end of the tree. Feathery wings fluttered about as he tried to find a good grip upon the bark, to which the sheep-skulled undead hissed; "Sssss, I do not require your aid for thisss tasssk, doctor. Ceassse your fumbling and ssstand assside before you hurt yourssself."

The tree's diameter was easily as wide as a child was tall, heavy enough to crush the avian alien should Mortis decide to relinquish his righteous grip. It towered over the average two-story home like a leafy shade umbrella, and rustled like a thousand chattering insects as the ghoul had moved it. Although the doctor may have meant well by attempting to help the ghoul carry it, his lanky form was reminiscent of a willowy youth miming carrying a heavy load while the true labor did all the work. However, it appeared the bird was not all that interested in his own safety,as once the tree fell to the ground, the impact of the fall launched the bird away. Mortis turned, empty sockets seeming to glare into the alien's eyes.

"I had told you to ssstand assside. That wasss easssily a few thousssand kilosss of lumber that jusst fell, if you had been a few sssecondsss ssslower, you would be a cloud of code." He sternly croaked. They were a few hundred miles away from the city, too far to get him to the hospital in time to treat any grievous wounds. "If you want to help, you will wait for me to give you a job or asssk about what you can do for me while we are out here. Otherwissse you can go back to the city if you are going to act recklesss. Isss thisss underssstood?" Mortis hissed, awaiting the bird's reply. For someone who had apparently served in the military, he learned nothing of discipline or common sense regarding his own safety. That kind of personality was not what the undead wanted in a volunteer, regardless of how good their intent may be. It left too much room for something to go wrong, for an injury to occur, or worse; an unintentional demise under his supervision.

Although if anyone were to argue, they would sooner put the bird to blame instead of Mortis. Especially after his recent warning.

As for the fledgling birds, Shaiamils shocked expression did not go unnoticed as the ghoul popped another one into his mouth. He would have asked if the doctor would like to share one, but he did not seem very hungry. "The parentsss are away, doctor. If they were around, I would have heard their dissstresss asss I cut the tree down." The final hatchling was snapped up with a small crunch, and the ghoul returned to his ax with a gravelly chuckle. As he picked it up, Mortis could still sense the loathing burning within Shaiamil's mind, a low hiss pressing itself from his exposed ribs before he addressed him again. "There isss no need to be ssso sssour, doctor. The parentsss can make more, and there are already thousssandss, if not millionsss of sssong birdsss upon thisss continent alone. What are three lesss?" It was not as if the ghoul had wiped out the entire population by killing those three birds, and even if he wanted to wipe out every tweeting, fluttering bird upon this continent, he could not. If anything, the loud things may as well be an epidemic upon this planet with all the noise they make and their virile population. Mortis, by comparison, enjoyed quieter company in his yard.

Regardless, it was time to get to the real work, as he strode back over to the felled tree, laying out in the open for them to work upon. "Sssss... When you are done pouting, you can help me by chopping off the branches and setting them aside." He hissed, already starting upon the task. He stood before a thick limb, one hand grasping his ax firmly as he brought it back and swung down upon it. All it took was one blow, and the branch was cleanly severed from the rest of the tree to fall upon the damp ground. His free hand plucked up the limb, and lazily tossed it aside to land five feet from the tree, forming the beginning of their pile. He went to the next branch upon his side of the tree and repeated, chopping and tossing.
    Shaiamils
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by Shaiamils on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:13 pm

The doctor sighed as Mortis scolded him, but nodded in understanding regardless.

"I understand. I just feel bad standing over here and watching you do all the work," he explained. "I came here to help, you know. If that's what you want, though, I'll wait for your instructions."

It was then that Shaiamils had to make a mental note to be very careful of what images pop into his mind whenever one or both of the retired Dark Judges were around. His wishful thinking did not go unnoticed despite not a single word having been said on the matter. The avian blinked, shaking his head as he tried desperately to completely clear the notion from his mind. Whether or not this would prove successful was yet to be seen.

The feathery alien quickly perked up as he was given the green light to assist, though. He promptly retrieved his axe and moved to the branched end of the fallen tree. It was time for his work to really begin. Finally he would not have to continue to feel guilty.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:36 am

CHOP!

CHOP!

CHOP!

Thick, heavy limbs were cleared aside like they were mere twigs under each swipe of the undead's ax. One clawed hand grasped a leafy bough, and the other sliced. Within moments Mortis had cleared his end of the tree. The side was smooth compared to the other half that would be for Shaiamils to work on. Only round, pale circles of wood remained of the mighty branches that were once there. To the side, they had been thrown haphazardly into a pile, ready to be used for whatever the undead superfiend had in mind. However, it appeared his helper was not as exuberant as he had been moments ago.

"I understand. I just feel bad standing over here and watching you do all the work, I came here to help, you know. If that's what you want, though, I'll wait for your instructions."

The sound of metal snapping through wood ceased, and the towering undead looked up from his work. So, now the bird thought it wise to try and tell him what he had flown out here for. How cute, except it was anything but. "Ssss, lassst I recall, doctor, you had been the one who had asssked to help me that evening in the Sssanctuary. I could have done thisss with, or without you. I allowed you to come out sssince you insssisssted, dessspite knowing you held little knowledge to aid me on thisss tasssk." The ghoul rumbled, that fateful evening clear in his mind, as well as the game of truth or dare that followed. Although there was something else that piqued the sheep-skulled undead's interest, a sensation of... guilt? Not at his past mistakes, but more upon thinking that he had not done any work to help the undead. Strange given he just got here.

"Asss well, momentsss before I had taken down the tree and moved it out here, I had sssaid ssspecifically that we would be chopping the limbsss off after I had moved the tree onto the grasss. I am uncertain what isss exactly plagueing you, bird, or what you thought to expect coming out here, but I find it ssstrange that you feel guilty about not doing anything before we have even begun the real labor. You have only been here for a few minutesss overall, the jobsss I have done, and will do for you are the oness that you clearly lack the experience and ssstrength to carry out." Mortis turned the ax about in his hand, the tool dwarfed by his towering height and limbs to match. He bent at the knees and let the ax rest on the ground, its handle leaning on the bark of the half-finished log.

"I have already cleared my ssside of the tree, doctor. I trussst you can remove the branchess on your ssside without my aid." He hissed, indicating to it with a gnarled claw before letting his hand rest at his side. If the bird wanted work, he now had plenty to do on his own. In the meantime, the undead superfiend stepped away from the fallen oak tree and made his way over to the patch of flattened grass he had made prior to Shaiamils meeting him out here. The soft ground squished beneath his necrotic soles, and instead of dry pops and crackles as he moved, the humidity from yesterday's rainfall made his decaying flesh more supple. The usual harsh protests from his host softened to something more wet and perhaps even more grotesque, if it was possible.

The tools were laid out neatly, although they were passed by for the metal pail that sat next to them. The ice had barely begun to melt in the cool March air, and the vodka he had chilled within it... He could see the frost that had accumulated on the outside. With a series of soft pops from his now pulpy flesh, Mortis took a seat on the grass, his legs crossing as he sat indian style. Taking a bottle from the ice pail and picking up the carpentry book from where it sat with the rest of the supplies, he popped off the top with his teeth and took a swig, setting it back in the pail while he flipped to the page he had marked for Woolie's bed, and then past it.

Instructions for making some simple outdoor chairs were laid out within it, the undead tapping a talon thoughtfully to his chin while he considered it. However, every so often he would glance up to make sure Shaiamils did not accidentally lop off a finger, or a whole hand. Though with how dark his eye sockets were, it was difficult to the outside viewer to tell where exactly he was looking to begin with. To the bird, likely the undead appeared to be nose-deep in the book.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:46 am

A few minutes ticked by, the undead glancing over every so often at his bird helper as he chopped the limbs away. All the while, Mortis allowed his thoughts to wander while his skeletal nose remained within the carpentry book he brought along. Perhaps it was charitable of the retired lawman to allow Shaiamils along to help with building his lamb a bed, but so far what he had seen stated otherwise. At first he seemed content to sit back and follow the undead's instructions, but within a few moments, he had nearly hurt himself trying to help move a tree that was moved without much effort by the superfiend's unnatural strength alone.

After? The bird alien justified it by saying he felt guilty watching Mortis do all the work, and that he came here to help. With what sounded like a little bit of back-talk. It was not exactly what he wanted to hear from a volunteer while working with several thousand kilos of hard wood and sharp cutting axes. Especially since said volunteer had admitted prior to coming out that he had very little experience with the job in question. With little to gain from reading Shaiamil's mind regarding the sudden change in behavior, the ghoul got to his feet and decided to do what would be the most sensible route of action given the circumstance.

He would do as he had planned prior to that evening in the Sanctuary, and work alone.

"Ssss..." He took another swig of his vodka before putting it in the bucket of ice, the burn of alcohol numb and it's effects nullified on his undead person. Next, Shai would find, if he decided to look back over at the towering superfiend, that was putting the tools back inside the pack he brought with him. The saws were replaced, as was the wood glue, nails, and carpentry book. "Doctor, asss much asss you may wissh to help, after sssome thought I have decided to revoke your aid. Your actionsss are unpredictable and carelesss to your well being, and having to look after you while preparing the lumber for my lamb'sss bed will ssslow down my work. Given how far we are away from the city along with the danger of the toolsss we are working with, I believe it bessst you return to the city." He hissed, sealing up the backpack before approaching the feathery alien. He had little interest in babysitting a full-grown, supposedly disciplined, military trained adult this afternoon. "I ssshall make Woolie'sss bed on my own. Thank you for coming out." Mortis hissed, and retrieved the ax from the doctor's grip before taking up his own ax and bringing them back to the pack of tools.

While he was securing the tools, a psychic link was opened, his mind connecting with a familiar undead equine.

Ssssamhain, retrieve your pulling harnesss from the barn, I will be requiring your aid ssshortly.

Though the horse was miles away, he could detect the delight in her thoughts at being able to come out and help. Already she was thundering to the barn, plucking her yoke and harness from where it hung on the wall.

Whether Shaiamils had managed to clear his side of the tree or not hardly mattered, as the ghoul would finish whatever the bird-alien was unable to get done. The moment he had secured all of his tools to the pack, Mortis turned to face towards the grasslands, bringing two claws to his skeletal maw. No air passed through his throat, yet a loud whistle carried from his teeth. The tone was otherworldly, unnerving to the point of sending chills of the spine of any living creature that was near, and an icy lump of dread in their hearts. Soon enough a dense mist began to roll in, a shrill, ghostly neigh echoing from within as the ghoul's favored helper arrived at the edge of the woods. Her rictus grin and decaying face was the first thing to be seen, as the massive, undead horse emerged from the supernatural fog with her head held high. She towered over both ghoul and bird at an immense thirteen feet in height from the tip of her maggot-eaten ears to the bottom of her sharp hooves, a pulling yoke crookedly hanging from her neck and her pulling harnesses slung over her back. A few lengths of long chains jingled at her flank as she trotted to her master, tail flicking as she awaited his orders.

Although her grinning snout turned towards the bird-man, she knew that the massive log on the ground would be her task today. Master always had her get the yoke out for pulling. But, she could not help but keep looking over at him, ears pricked in his direction. Samhain's empty sockets and rictus grin made for an unsettling stare, which lingered upon him even as Mortis adjusted her collar and inspected her tack to ensure she brought everything they needed. His life-force was distracting, the amount of vitality within him drawing her thoughts like a moth to a flame. Though she could not voice it, her empty gaze hinted at how much she truly wanted a chance to sink her large, sharp teeth into him, or hear how loudly he crunched beneath a hoof. If only Master was not around...

"Good girl, Sssamhain. Let me get your gear sssecured and we sshall get to work." Mortis fondly hissed, giving the mare a pat on the shoulder and a praising mental sensation before moving around to fasten the straps properly and adjust her pulling yoke. Her tack, much like the mare's skin, was a deep black, the leather shiny and well kept despite the rotted appearance of both draft animal and owner. The straps adjusted and buckles fastened, Mortis lead his favored mare to the fallen oak tree, the horse maneuvering wordlessly to stand waiting at the part of the tree that had been severed while Mortis latched the chains around the log. Once done, Mortis retrieved both pack and bucket, slinging the tools upon his back while the ice pail and drinks were held within his teeth. He climbed upon the mare's back, mindful of the straps that were attached to the log.

"Let usss go home. Forward, Sssamhain." He directed, and the mare moved forward. Behind her, the log hay have just as easily passed for a hollow prop with how little effort she seemed to need in order to pull it along. Although it's true weight was displayed in the deep rut it dug behind her, plowing over long grasses and tilling up the moist soil. A mist began to form around her as she walked, quickly growing thick and impenetrable before swallowing horse, rider, and tree whole. Should the bird still remain after it dissipated, he would find the deep rut the log made abruptly ended exactly where it had been devoured by the unnatural mist.

((While speaking with Lorraine, it was expressed she would like this thread to be locked. She has given me permission to make an end post to it in order to wrap it up so as to not leave any loose ends. Sorry things didn't turn out, better luck next time, eh?))

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:41 am