Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Dead Man Walking

Post by Kev on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Like clockwork, the mention of mud huts and chickens drew chuckles from both former Judges. Despite himself, the alien felt rather proud of getting them both to laugh, squinting his eyes in simple pleasure. Not even Fear's darker thought process could numb the light glow he felt in his chest from managing to tickle their funny bones. Kev's kind had been dead for several years by now, the thought of Fear and Mortis purging them wasn't quite so awful... Rather uncomfortable maybe, but there was no harm if it couldn't come to pass. And besides, Kev wasn't fond of crushing Fear's little Judge dreams.

Both ghouls confirmed that the sorry state of the city had pretty much been their initial reasoning for trying to enact justice upon the place. Not that he could really blame them... Mega City One sounded awful, and Dead World sounded awful. Just an awful cluster of universes tied together... Mortis also provided a slight explanation for why that reasoning may have been 'or less'. Death, wonderful leader that he was, apparently lost sight of their initial goal. It wasn't enough to just kill all living, no... The Judge had developed an obsession with their rival Judges, Anderson and Dredd. Dark blue eyes rolled, contempt for Death clear in those orbs. No, Kev was never that impressed with Death, and the more he learned only solidified it. Leading around Mortis, Fear and Fire on his attempts for revenge, getting them captured... Peh. What an awful leader.

As for buying the farm, the alien cocked his head to the side in honest thought. "Well, I guess I have the patience." He commented with a light shrug. The scaly alien had, after all, survived many disasters and more than his fair share of needless stress. "Maybe before, I would have tried to buy the farm..." Kev started, tone a little hesitant as he remembered what first brought alien and Judge together. Kev had promised to 'buy the farm' at Fear's hands one day, after all. And yet now... "But now, I think I'd like to stay around for a while." His gaze centered onto the corpse, eyes crinkling around the edges. The former Judge could not die, after all. Kev couldn't afford to buy any farms just yet.

Mortis sounded rather bitter, but he was right. If the Judges had ignored those two, or laid low and under their detection, the Judges could have obliterated the city instead of remaining locked away. Not that they could have told Death as much... He didn't exactly seem like a great listener. Though the city was content to treat the poor and the rich differently, the Judges refused to do so. All were killed equally, no matter what. It was macabre, that was for sure... In death, all are truly equal. Kev's forearms laid over each other as he rested them upon the marble counter, leaning onto it. "I'm glad you guys at least dealt with people equally..." An iron helm creaked shut, and Kev's attention diverted to Fear's usual 'face'. Socio-economic classes...wage disparities... Fear's answer came from the blank look he received. "I suppose not... We didn't really have money on my planet. But we did have trades with the Thermians! I guess if anything...they had some power? Since they could sell us stuff, at least. We paid for it by gathering up goods on our planet that could be of use, and then making a deal with a trader. The rarer or more valuable the good, the sweeter the deal." Actually money had never been encountered before here. Though... "I guess even with the credits here...there isn't much of a struggle with the rich and the poor like that, right? At least, not like Mega City One?" None of the people Kev ever brawled with would back down with a payment of money.

"A coma?" Kev's gaze lolled to the side, Mortis chiming in that dying was easy. Searching his memories, the alien looked for those associated with death. Mr. Dark...pain. Decay. Screaming. Not a coma. But Otokoyo... Kev remembered falling from the bridge, and...nothing. It was as if he'd fallen asleep. He'd woken up in the cottage a week later, very confused. "Being snatched by demons in Otokoyo was like being in a coma. I think I passed out when they grabbed me. And from what I heard afterwards, everyone the demons caught were taken and had their energy drained away. I think it is the only death I experienced that was like that." No real pain involved, just...black. As though Kev merely...faded away. "I know I certainly can't say... I've never properly died." Death in Portal Breach being rather...funky and all. "Maybe the real deal isn't so bad."

On Judges Death and Dredd, Fear regarded both as practically the same. Perhaps a slight change here or there, change the wording around for what they say, but otherwise? Exactly the same. Having met neither of them, Kev could only go by what he had heard of them. Both sounded stubborn, fanatical, eager to prove themselves and their points...and neither hands were clean. The alien listened patiently, soaking it in. "But is Dredd really white? From the get-go, he's already pretty grey... Like you said, he committed atrocities in the name of his justice. To be white, wouldn't he have to have never committed any atrocities?" Though, how many came to the Breach preaching good values and moral standing, only to fall to the same pitfalls and do horrible things because it was 'good'? "I guess it's a matter of perception... I don't think 'white' REALLY exists." Mortis' addition confirmed Kev's suspicions, and the alien kept quiet on that subject. No need to rub in any salt into that wound... He remained quiet in his chair instead, glancing between them.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:42 am

"You better not buy the farm." And leave yours truly all, all alone on this vexing hunk of rock? Kev, you were playing with fire, lad.

Ah, but the helmeted fiend was in jest. There was an extremely infinitesimal chance of Kev ever kicking the bucket early, so Fear didn't linger on the subject for much longer; no use jinxing themselves, right? He instead threw in his two cents about Judge Death's rather dogged ways. "Eh, Sssidney wasss alwaysss warped," he hissed, shrugging those bony shoulders of his. "Everyone wasss sssomehow warped on Deadworld - there wasss no getting around it. Citizensss, Judgesss, entire nation-ssstatesss... It wasss all jussst one big hellhole. Sssidney merely devisssed a way to manipulate everyone for hisss own advantage." Which left little to be desired for his lieutenants and their supposed worth as brothers-in-arms, but Fear digressed. He could only lament about Limbo so many times before he sounded like a broken record.

"If we ssstopped focusssing on Dredd and Anderssson, we likely would have found an effective meansss to purge the Mega City inssstead of sssitting around in glassseen for yearsss on end."

Fear raised his empty teacup, "Here, here." His brother was right. If they had been allowed to focus on other cities and spread their influence without the tenacious meddling of Dredd and Anderson, the Dark Judges might have had better chances purging that accursed world. As it stood, however... their leader seemed incapable of abandoning his delusions of grandeur and, thus, they were all made to suffer Judge Death's unwillingness to see the bigger picture. "We ssshould have turned the other citiesss againssst Mega-City One and ssstrangled them from the outssside," Fear opined. Sounded like a fairly reasonable strategy, no? "Poissson their water sssupply, cut off their foodssstuffsss, deny them the very comfortsss of life itssself. We have already proven that we can win a war of attrition; why mussst we fall prey to impatience?" Time was of very little consequence to the grave. If need be, couldn't they have simply waited for Judges Dredd and Anderson to naturally perish? There was of course the matter of Dredd's clones, but if they were anything like Judge Kraken, they had proven themselves far from infallible.

"Ah right, Ebony Clock. I don't remember too much - wasss outssside." Death had been the one who went in there and had a bit of fun with the building's inhabitants. Something about party favours and ridiculous costumes... Just a usual occurrence in the Big Meg.

It was unsurprising to hear how Kev's people had existed without money. Hell, it sounded like they had existed without a lot of things. "Methinksss your people were better off for it," the ghoul offhandedly commented. Money was one of those 'roots of all evil' deals; love to have it, hate to part with it. "No doubt your people had variousss meansss of judging an individual'sss worth in sssociety by desssirable genetic traitsss and occupational ssstatusss, but money would have only compounded the isssue further. Bartering isss the way to go, I think. Once you introduce an artificial conssstruct like money, you then begin to arbitrarily asssign value to anything and everything - even the very air you breathe. Talk about a headache, huh?"

But no, Fear didn't suppose Portal Breach had the same fiscal conundrum as Mega-City One had. In fact, he wasn't very certain of just how Portal City kept its financial market afloat. No big banks, no Wall Street, no treasuries or committees and hearings... Were credits just grown on plastic trees? "Thisss city isss the... exception, I think." And that was putting it mildly. "Everyone hasss accesssss to food, water, good health and housssing. If you are willing to work for it, it ssseemsss you will indeed achieve your goalsss. That'sss rather refressshing, actually."

Certainly helped lower the likelihood of class warfare and socio-economic dissent.

"Being snatched by demons in Otokoyo was like being in a coma. I think I passed out when they grabbed me. And from what I heard afterwards, everyone the demons caught were taken and had their energy drained away. I think it is the only death I experienced that was like that."

That earned a look from yours truly.

Demons...? Energy drained away...? Good lord, Kev was just a magnet for trouble. "I... I don't think death isss quite like that, no," Fear rasped, hesitant. Note to self: do not let the alien out of his sight when traveling out in the woods or just about anywhere that wasn't protected.

"I sssuppossse we jeopardized oursss little over a year after we arrived here, brother."
    "I guess it's a matter of perception... I don't think 'white' REALLY exists."

And therein lied the pitfalls of being a Judge.

To someone like Fear, who was prone to lengthy periods of thought and introspection, this was all rather familiar and easier to navigate after numerous crises of faith. He shrugged again, hissing, "It makesss sssenssse to me. I mean, we were raisssed in captivity, esssentially. We were told what to do, how to think... dependent on our tutorsss and peersss. Everything fell into place back at Law Ssschool, behind thossse cold ssstone wallsss and our meaty textbooksss. It wasss our own little bubble, far removed from the chaotic world outssside. Once we graduate and earn our full badge, however..." Here, the helmeted ghoul could only shake his head, mind off to faraway times. "Alasss..." Fear sighed. "We were told to think in black and white - failure to do ssso meant flunking, and flunking meant death or far, far worssse. But outssside... it isss nothing but grey. Naturally, our perception of the world violently classshesss with the way thingsss are. We go about our dutiesss, asssssert our worldview, and pat ourssselvesss on the back for a job well done." Except it's never done. How could it be, when the world's very default nature tirelessly conspired against their indoctrination?

"If it'sss any consssolation," he added, finding a silver lining,"even 'good' Judgesss like Dredd are sssusssceptible to deviating off the beaten path. It happensss; we are imperfect sssolutionsss to an imperfect problem, that'sss all. That'sss the truth." And, you know, it stung. It stung to realize all this now, after so much had been said and done, but what was one to do except move forward? Can't change the past, after all.

The helmeted ghoul let all of that fun stuff settle in everyone's heads for a moment before seizing the present. "Kev, may Mortisss ssstay over? Jussst for a few weeksss?"

Insightful in some ways and clueless in others...
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:27 am

So without Kev, his brother was completely alone? ... Well, Mortis could not say he blamed the man, lately the sheep-skulled superfiend's presence was not exactly that of a companion. Perhaps isolation would even be preferred. He left the comment be, and refrained from commenting on his brother's muffled thoughts. This was supposed to be a nice visit, the first step towards remedying things. Entertaining self loathing was only going to sour relations again just as they started to get better.

Instead he decided to focus on the topic of Sidney, one that both he and his brother tended to favor if only to sink their talons into the old leader. "Agreed, Deadworld wasss better off dead to begin with." The superfiend opined, and even better that their leader failed to follow them here. The ghoul nodded as his brother concurred regarding setting their focus on affairs other than a mortal nemesis. Anderson and Dredd at the most would have a lifespan of maybe seventy years if they were lucky, not to mention they could not be at every city at once. As for Ebony Clock... "Yesss, to think however that all it ook wasss a party crasssh to inssstill a sssensse of complete hopelesssnesss in the populace, that nowhere in the city wass sssafe." Mortis shook his head, welcoming the distraction even if it was more about their leader's exploits.

Anything to keep the focus off of the darker thoughts that still lurked within his empty skull.

Hm, the Thermians, he remembered Kev talking about them when he had visited his home in the Grasslands a long while back. Mortis's tail gently swayed beneath the confines of his coat and he spoke up, his graveled tones filling the brief silence after Kev's statement. "Yesss, you paid in ssspecial resssourcesss that they sssought after, that wasss how you had bought your glovesss, correct?" Or at least that was how he thought it transpired. That meeting for tea was so very long ago, after all. His brother gave his thoughts soon after, which were far deeper than the sheep-skulled ghoul's statement. He let the helmeted superfiend fill in the blanks regarding credits while he silently listened. There was little to say when he agreed with most of what Fear had said.

As for the green alien's views about death and dying... Well, that certainly was an experience. Captured, drained of energy, all while unconscious. Mortis pondered that perhaps what Kev had experienced was one of the more merciful means of demise he had heard of or come across, though his brother did not seem so ponderous on the matter. His silence carried as his brother went on to address both Kev and his own opinion on the matter of the law and what constituted as "black or white". For a moment he wished he did not drink he tea so quickly, his empty sockets focusing on the empty cup as he mulled over Fear's statements.

It was that worldview that he was brought up with, Deadworld's law doctrine that had been pounded into his juve head day in and day out during training that had made him so stubborn. It was what made him commit atrocities to himself and his brother in late summer, that left him barely half the man he had used to be and dragged his brother down into it. Yet... Time and time again he had chosen his badge over his brother, over friends, delusionally convincing himself to keep going for the greater good of a world that no longer existed. Loyal to a leader that was never there. Mortis' tail grew still and curled back up to rest against the outside of his leather-encased thigh.

It sickened him, and he sickened himself.

He had pushed away the one person he had thought himself closest too, served alongside for centuries on end.

He hurt the one who had attempted to grow close to him, and killed the one they were closest too without lifting a single finger in their direction.

All because the sheep-skulled superfiend valued something that no longer existed over what was right in front of him. He held his tongue regarding his outlook on the matter, knowing all too well he would merely be preaching to the choir, just as he had last time. In the silence he kept his gave on the teacup, content to study it while Kev and his brother discussed the matter. He had to stay positive, he had to stay happy... Or at least appear that way. For Fear's sake, so the toll was not so great upon his already burdened mind. Mortis focused and attempted to project something of a mild contentment in his immediate thoughts, albeit paper thin to anyone who knew where and how to prod.

Stay positive, don't irritate Fear, don't sully the only attempt he had to make things right...

His gaze removed itself from the teacup, deciding to look over at his brother and Kev during the minute moment of quiet. Perhaps he should find a new topic for them to talk about--?

"Kev, may Mortisss ssstay over? Jussst for a few weeksss?"

Fear managed to get a new topic out first, thankfully. Mortis looked between Fear and Kev, the alien's earlier glance somewhat mirrored. Albeit harder to notice given the lack of red within the ghoul's eye sockets. Things seemed to have gone well enough during their morning tea, but there were enough bumps on his end, perceived or otherwise, that he figured would more than likely tip things in favor of him going back out on the street. Even then, it would not be his place to argue with the alien if he said no, it was his house after all, and Mortis' name was not known with any good in the alien's life.

For him to say no would be completely understandable, he silently reasoned. But, the only way he would know for certain would to see what Kev decreed his fate to be.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu May 05, 2016 5:15 am

"You better not buy the farm."

Aaw... Despite himself, Kev chuckled lightly. "Oh, I don't count on buying it anymore, Fear." Four times was enough. Though once upon a time, the idea of living forever was daunting and maybe even frightening, the alien was now at peace with the idea. As long as the Judge and Livewire were here, he didn't want to die anytime soon.

"Warped worlds create warped people." Look no further than the very world beneath their feet! While the majority of people hadn't been born here, Kev had to admit that time spent here did change people. Some for the better, others for the worst as more than a few had become quite warped. Dead World, though? That was a universe that made Portal Breach look downright average. With such a corrupt and cruel world... Of course it would create someone like Judge Death. "Mmngh... I guess I should commend him on being...adept at using the system to his advantage." Complimenting the fiend made the alien feel as if he had jumped into a pit of slime and wriggling worms. Uugh... A shiver rippled down his spine, chilled to the bone to admit anything resembling positivity for the only Judge that Kev disliked. Learning Death's pitfalls as a leader didn't exactly endear him to the alien more. Discussing where Death had become pigheaded, Fear could easily name better options they had at their disposal. "I guess he wouldn't have really listened to you guys if you told him to try a different method?" Indeed, what use was it to get impatient when they had all the time in the world? The Judges could have played a long waiting game, maybe even lay in quiet wait until Judges Anderson and Dread inevitably died. Without their biggest detractors, it would be easier!

Ebony Clock sounded...interesting, as Mortis mused on how crashing a party somehow managed to create mass despair among the citizens. Must have been a very important party... And a safe one, if it made everyone realize nowhere was safe. However, it seems that Kev's mention of his world's tendency to trade goods reminded Mortis of the visit they once had! Indeed, the alien had regaled the sheep-skulled Judge with the resources he managed to trade to get his gloves. "Correct!" He agreed with a chipper tone. The Kryptonistanian couldn't help but enjoy that Mortis had remembered. It was small, but... Nice. Nodding his agreement to Fear, Kev commented "At least with bartering, both parties receive something. With money, one person actually gets a good or a service while the other person gets...more money. It counts as receiving something, but it only has worth to be used to buy things. Compared to actually getting an item... Seems a little unfair." Definitely swayed more to the people who had lots of money, as Fear had stated. The Breach, though? "I don't exactly need much anyway, but I've found it very easy to live here. I slept at the Church for the first few months I was here, and there was the Inn...and it seems pretty easy to either find a place to live and fix it up, or save up the credits to buy something. Like this house!" He spread an arm out towards a wall, almost beaming. Kev was quite proud of his little house, it was something he never would have thought he'd own. "This place really does provide a lot of opportunities." Quite refreshing.

Fear's look earned a curious cock of Kev's head before he realized the reason why. "Ehehe...yeah..." The alien scratched the back of his scaly dome awkwardly. Right, suppose Otokoyo had been one of those things that didn't come up so much. At least, not nearly as much as Mr. Dark and Ridley had. In fact, there were probably only a handful of people who even remembered the demon town. Be thankful that you have a mental link with Kev, Fear. Made watching over him that much easier.

Judges were raised and trained in isolation, taught not to ask question and only to believe what they were told. Whether white existed or not, the Judges had been taught to believe it did, and that they represented 'white' no matter what. When faced with the grey that made up the world...it was hard to deal with, learning that your whole world had basically been a lie. Understandably, many Judges didn't exactly admit to the lies they'd been fed. As for the silver lining... Fear made it sound as if even the Judges that were 'good' compared to the Dark Judges were liable to deviate from the paths they had been set on. "I'm sorry that your world set you on such a path. Hopefully the life you can have here will be better..." It was almost as if the Dark Judges had been groomed for failure. Even the other Judges! Anything involving the law seemed to be like that too, really. A hard job to undertake, though with the system of the Judges...even harder. Enforcing such extremes in a world that was already awful...

"Kev, may Mortisss ssstay over? Jussst for a few weeksss?"

"..." Kev had to blink for a moment, as if digesting what the Judge had just said. He stared at him from across the little counter that served as a table, eyes a bit wide. That was...sudden! In more ways than one. In one day, Mortis had gone from being Fear's disowned brother, to completely forgiven, invited over for tea and now...offered a place to stay? He glanced to the ghoul in question, who remained quiet. Mortis must have known about it then, or else he imagined he'd be confused or a bit aghast at being invited to stay. Glancing between them, the alien suddenly felt as if he was under a spotlight. A big question had been asked, and it needed an answer.

After a few moments of thought, he answered. "Yes, he may." It wasn't as if Kev was new to having somebody be invited to stay as a housemate. Ava, Ophelia, Terra, Nym, Fear, Livewire and Skyler... One way or another, the alien seemed to have a habit of enveloping people under his wing and into his home. As long as they were close friends or even family, of course! Strangers would not find a home so easily, but Mortis...? He was Fear's brother. Though Kev and Mortis had been a bit rocky... The former Judge did seem to be filled with regret and remorse. He was on the path to change. Perhaps some stability was in order. Besides, Kev had done a good job of mucking things up earlier. Maybe this could make up for it.

Turning to Mortis, Kev addressed him head-on. "There is a guest bedroom upstairs if you'd like to stay in there while you're here." He offered, unsure if Fear was alright with sharing the basement or not. Maybe some space was needed.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Okay, first of all...

It was minor and relatively light, but the equivalent of a mental - smack! - came flying Mortis' way, right on the tip of his bony snout. Fear didn't say anything aloud, but if he did... it would sound very much like: I cannot believe you thought that. Brother, you wound me. Of courssse you are not chopped liver. Etc, etc. The brief swat on his brother's nose will simply have to make do. Anyway...

Seeing how all three of them were logical chaps, they quickly agreed that Judge Death was a thickheaded git who could have used their otherworldly advantages a great deal better. But, then again, that was as obvious as stating that the sky is blue and the grass is green. "Peh, Sssidney didn't lisssten to usss when we voted on retiring after Deadworld'sss purge," Fear grumbled, a bit sour over the affair. It had been a bloody landslide, 3-1! But no, no one ever listens to a trio of lowly lieutenants, do they? "I doubt he would have lissstened if we had come up with an effective ssstrategy. Sssidney isss an innovative thinker, I'll give him that, but he'sss alssso incredibly arrogant. I sssuppossse that'sss immortality for you, though. It made usss a bit daft." Wine bottle, anyone? "...Okay, maybe not a bit," he admitted quietly.

"Yesss, you paid in ssspecial resssourcesss that they sssought after, that wasss how you had bought your glovesss, correct?"
    "Correct!"

Oh bless, these two were getting along better.

While it probably wasn't much, it was just enough to see a glimmer of hope. Not something Fear enjoyed spotting, to be perfectly honest (hope could be brutally cruel), but anything positive was better than the suffocating negativity from last year. Recovery was not impossible! "Yesss, jussst like thisss houssse," the helmeted ghoul rigidly nodded. "The opportunitiesss here are endlesssss; we need only realize that they are there." Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Mortis.

"Yes, he may."

It was like a bottle rocket had just gone off.

"HOORAY!" Fear threw his spindly arms up wildly, damn near tossing his teacup. Using his indoor voice had always been an uphill struggle. "You hear that, Mortisss?" he hissed, excited. "You get to ssstay and ssshape up! That beatsss moping around in a grungy sssubway, yeah?" But the upstairs guest room!? The superfiend at once shook his head, emphatically disagreeing. "No, no, no! We can't jussst ssstick Mortisss in there. It'sss too bland and a little, you know... airy. He can sssleep in my room, down in the basssement. It'sss much better for privacy." Plus, it was darker and not prone to random bouts of energetic dogs racing up and down in the upstairs hallway. Of course, if Mortis chose the spare bedroom instead of the basement, Fear would understand. His brother was their guest, after all! "Either way," he continued, fondly patting Mortis on the back, "we'd love to have you. Ssstay a few weeksss to get back on your feet, put your mind at eassse, and jussst enjoy yourssself. Difficult, I know, but you'll figure out sssomething. You alwaysss were the thinker."

And as for the alien, Fear had not forgotten. Though it wasn't stated now, at least not until Mortis was situated, Kev's gesture of kindness and hospitality was not without appreciation. Later, however, so consider this a down payment. "Thanksss, Kev, you're the absssolute bessst."

Whew, that was one major concern off Fear's lifeless chest...
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Thu May 12, 2016 11:44 pm

A mental smack suddenly glanced itself across Mortis' nose, and the towering undead flinched noticeably at the sensation. The source was easy to track, as his brother had made it apparent he caught wind of the sheep-skulled fiend's thoughts. He refrained from rubbing the area, more out of surprise than any real pain from the action, and mentally gave an apologetic sensation his brother's way, should he be willing to receive it.Otherwise, the ghoul continued to try and keep his thoughts positive, however challenging.

For if he was not only trying Fear's patience but also hurting him unintentionally all at once, he was no better than he was when he had kept his innermost ruminations under lock and key.

He may have better luck than any of the three lieutenants had at trying to convince Sidney to do anything mildly rational. Mortis remained silent as Fear went on, giving a slow, agreeing nod to his grumbling and griping. Little else needed to be added to a discussion that has been dictated many times before since they arrived here. The sheep-skulled superfiend glanced over as Kev went on to talk about the differences between bartering and paying for goods and services with currency. To him it seemed unfair, but to the ghoul, it felt more commonplace. After all, city coffers could not be lined with draft animals or food or trinkets. Currency was a near universal trading object that most who lived in such a system understood.

So Kev went from living in a church, to an inn, to the cottage, and now to this home. Certainly a well traveled sinner, if he had seen one.

"This place really does provide a lot of opportunities."

"Yesss, jussst like thisss houssse, the opportunitiesss here are endlesssss; we need only realize that they are there."

"...I sssuppossse." Was Mortis' response, his gaze turning back to the tea cup in front of him. Given the conversation, the ghoul figured his brother meant the winking and nudging towards finding a place of his own. Or more, the ghoul hoped he meant finding his own place, a house of his own that he could return to and rest. It would be understandable, as the superfiend believed it to be strange if he overstayed his welcome at Kev's house, and from his reaction to his brother's question... The wide eyes, glancing, blinking; staying at their home was enough of an undertaking already. A pensive hiss seeped from his ribs, the soft, but crisp sound of talons tapping together audible through the thoughtful silence before he spoke up, albeit hesitantly. "I-if it isss too much to asssk, I underssstand. I can find sssomeplace elsse to ssstay." The ghoul had not been one to give his hopes up, and with the long silence -which tended to be key in most unsavory decisions- he figured the answer was clear enough. It would be foolish to think that sitting around a counter top, drinking tea and eating biscuits would change anything, even if things between him and his brother were mended somewhat... It would not be enough, only a shorter road to the same dead end.

Yet...

"Yes, he may."

He glanced up from his teacup, more surprised at being allowed to stay than the sudden inquiry made by his brother. The latter nearly tossing his teacup in joy as he cheered. Kev suggested he stay in the guest room, and Fear insisted he stay in the basement instead, giving his own points as to why it would be better for him. Although the undead was not so certain if he wanted to steal a room from the dogs or his brother, as a guest he knew the decision was out of his hands. Just as he knew either room would place some member of the family out of place... Maybe it would be best if he just stayed outside? He did not need to sleep or lay down for the most part, as his body was a possessed corpse. As the owner of the house, Kev would be the one to decide where he stayed, just as he decided whether or not he could stay.

"T-that isss very generousss of you, Kev. Thank you." He uttered once his brother's fanfare died down. "I hold no objectionsss to either room, I will ssstay where you think it mossst convenient." The superfiend hissed politely to them both. His host shuddered under the clap of a hand to his back, and Fear generously deposited a few more welcoming words and attempted to boost his spirits again. Glancing between his brother and Kev, the undead managed to hiss; "Yesss...I'll figure sssomething." What, he did not know. Aside from possibly doing some chores to keep himself useful and moving around, Kev and Fer's household was not exactly a place he thought he would befit. "I could help with the choresss while I am here... If you are open to my asssissstance, Kev." He rasped after a moment, his snout turning to the green alien.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu May 19, 2016 1:46 am

Ah, Sidney Sidney Sidney...such a wonderful leader. So open to the suggestions of his inferiors. So gentle. So caring! Everything a leader should be. Kev shook his head from side to side, letting out a soft huff. "It sounds like he had a one track mind too." Innovative thinkers were great, but if the hamster wheel of one's mind only spins one way, those ideas will only ever have one use. "Daft... Well, that's immortality for you I guess." Seemed to go hand in hand with each other, if the Dark Judges were any indication. "Good thing I don't mind daftness." The alien teased lightly, winking to Fear to show there were no hard feelings and judgement. As if Kev could really get scrutinizing about anyone being daft...

There Fear was, finding a glimmer of hope in their situation. Ironic, considering how the ghoul's usual nature was. Living with Kev had its influences, after all. Perhaps optimism and seeing hope was one of them. In any case, the alien and the ghoul with rotting powers were getting along quite well, and the helmed ghoul was quick to agree that this land was one of opportunity. Many people had managed to make their own lives, their own jobs, and their own homes. Mortis seemed more reluctant to agree. "I never would have had a home like this back in my world. And the deeds I've done here as a whole?" He snorted. "Definitely would have been impossible. If I went back to my planet, boasting that I had defeated Gods, I'd be seen as crazy." For the Gods did not interact with normal people in such a way, and to say that he had defeated one... It was a laughable concept.

And lo...the big question. Kev took a bit of time to answer, thinking it over and considering his options. Those being deny Mortis a place here, or allow him to stay. Nothing was earned by denying him, in fact it would make the situation worse and he did seem quite contrite. Though it seems the alien's thoughtful pause caused some anxiety for Mortis, as the sheep skulled man spoke up. He insisted that he could find his own place to stay, thinking that asking to stay was far too much. It seemed to only help him to make his decision, giving Fear's brother a soft look before answering. Where else could he stay? Especially with the Dark Judges not being the most...popular of people. It seemed this house was the best option for him to recover in.

"HOORAY!"

Kev jerked at the yell, throwing his own arms up to cover his face when the lanky Judge's tea cup nearly flew. The alien figured he'd be excited, but this excited?! Especially in contrast to his brother, who was stoically surprised. Once his heart beat calmed, the scaly man quietly enjoyed his guypal's exuberance. Answering 'yes' was enough to make him this happy, and it was well worth it. Though, he preferred that his brother stay down in the basement rather than the guest room. The guest room was far too impersonal, as Mortis was family. It was also more fitting the living, whereas the basement was damp, and already suited to Fear. "You're very welcome, Mortis." He nodded his head to him. As for where to stay, Mortis was open to staying where Kev shoved him. "As long as Fear doesn't mind sharing his space, I think the basement will be fine."

A few weeks was the first mention of time that Kev had gotten, though it sounded fair. Mortis had much to think on, after all. While he was here, it seems that the former Judge wanted to keep busy by doing chores. The alien found no reason to object, nodding his head in pleased agreement. "We could always use another set of hands!" Chores were easier when more people chipped in. Fear's gratitude was felt, scaly cheeks brightening in green shades to be more akin to an emerald. He diverted his eyes to the ground, feeling humbled. "Yeah, well...best for the best. You're welcome, Kikiri..." It was only fair and kind to allow Mortis to stay.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:44 pm

"...I sssuppossse."

Mortis, Mortis, Mortis... you sopping wet killjoy, you.

If this were Deadworld or a similar place like it, Fear would be more inclined to agree with his brother's realistic views. It wasn't, however, and there lied all the difference. A place to stay, be it a barn or a house... all little details in the grand scheme of things. Opportunities on Portal Breach were only as fruitful and big as a person's outlook. Shall their dreams be modest and small, or shall they be grand and idealistic? Shall there be none at all? That, alas, was for Mortis to decide. As it stood, Fear had picked up a thing or two after nearly two years of being synced with Kev's cheerful spirit.

"Of coursssse I don't mind sssharing the basssement!" the helmeted superfiend rasped, quite pleased. He wasn't sunshine and rainbows, but perhaps close enough. "It'sss dark, quiet, and sssmellsss like asssss. Or ssso the dogsss gripe, anyhow. It'll be perfect for Mortisss." What's this about chores, though? A fingernail audibly raked against hardened iron, Fear pensively scratching one of his metal temples. "Well, it'sss not becoming to let one'sss guessst partake in meager housssework, but if I know you, brother..." It was decided with a rigid nod. "Yesss, we can find you sssomething to keep busssy. There are plenty of tasssksss with keeping up a houssse: the wasssh, dissshesss, sssweeping and mopping, the garden... I persssonally think you would enjoy a good hour in the backyard with the greenery; sssomething about tending the sssoil while it'sss quiet outssside and devoid of interruptionsss isss mildly therapeutic. The sssolitude isss alssso a nice touch." Fear was positively rubbish at it, though, and was far more interested in pitting a handful of ants against a hungry spider.

Nature is a right bitch, you know? Anyway...

Sensing that perhaps their teatime was drawing to a close, the superfiend corrected his hunched posture with a bony crack. "Well, gentsss, are we finissshed with tea and bissscuitsss?" he asked. "Ssspeak now or forever hold your peace, becaussse I will be putting everything away. While I'm doing ssso, Kev can ssshow you the basssement, Mortisss. It really isss a nice place, but do mind the ceiling when dessscending. I can't even begin to tell you how many timesss I've foolissshly rattled my brainsss againssst it." Clumsy is as clumsy does, same with the bashful~!
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:09 am

When one's prior occupation was a destroyer of life and bringer of decay, it was inevitable that something was killed while he was around. Joy was merely one of them. As it was currently, Mortis dreamed little, the only thing he wished to do was mend the transgressions made against those who cared about him. After that, perhaps there could be time for dreaming.

But the ghoul was hardly the type to place his skeletal head in the clouds.

Regardless, Kev did not seem discouraged from attempting to convince him otherwise. He spoke of how the house seemed like an impossibility at first, as were the deeds he had done. He could boast of destroying gods, committing great feats of courage and strength. Here, Mortis had doe the same thing upon initially coming here, aiding his brother in destroying the Red Queen, the two of them essentially carrying a chaotic and uncooperative group to victory... Unfortunately. The ghoul sighed, thinking, before he turned his snout to Kev. "Ssss... I hear what you both ssspeak of, Kev. Thisss place hasss plenty of opportunity to thossse who may ssseek it. However, there are sssome opportunitiesss that are... Merely not meant for me, regardlesss." Love, he learned firsthand, was one of them. He was too inept, too clumsy and negligent. For the betterment and ease of everyone in the room, it was best if he kept his rancid talons out of it.

But, there were other things he could do; later when his mind was more clear and unshrouded by despair and remorse. Things that were more suited to his particular person.

As for his rooming arrangements, it seemed he would be placed in the basement, his brother happy to share his room. Dark, quiet, and apparently stinky... "I thought dogsss enjoyed that sssmell?" he hissed, looking towards Fear. Why else would they be sticking their noses right under each other's tails all the time? Regardless, his brother was confident that it would be perfect for the undead superfiend, and Mortis was inclined to agree. Dark and dank was his sort of resting place, and the quiet would give him plenty of time to think... Perhaps much to his chagrin than benefit. Still, he gave a small nod of his own, leathery flesh crackling with the motion. "Thank you, brother. I will do my bessst to not take up too much of your sssspace." He rasped appreciatively. The housework however was more of a mixed bag, a Kev seemed happy to have an extra hand around the house, his brother thought it unbecoming. He could hear Fear's talons scratching against metal, but otherwise his glowing grin nodded in affirmation.

Washing, dishes, sweeping, mopping, and the garden... These would be more than suitable enough to keep his mind off more melancholic ruminations, along with repaying Kev and Fear's generosity. "I ssshall do them to the bessst of my ability each day." Mortis replied. The house would be the cleanest it has been in months. Ironic, given the creature that would be doing the cleaning.

With a crack of his spine, Fear straightened, asking if anyone wanted more tea before he cleaned up. "I have had plenty, thank you. It wasss a good cuppa and bissscuitsss, asss you tend to make." Mortis hissed, listening as Fear explained Kev would be showing him the basement. At the comment regarding the low ceiling, the undead superfiend gave a small nod. "I ssshall be mindful of it." With that done, Mortis stood from his seat, awaiting Kev's lead to where he would be staying for two weeks.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 am

Kev's head quirked to the side, as Mortis admitted that though this world had many opportunities, some just weren't meant for him. One hand folded over the other as the alien settled into his chair, considering the words. "I'm sorry to hear that. I know it is...hard to accept and keep going sometimes, knowing that there are some things you just cannot do. But as long as you focus on what opportunities you do have...you might find that the ones you aren't meant for don't bother you as much."

For a long time, the scaly man's beans were burning to a crisp over the fact that he could never have his revenge on Ridley. That dragon would get to fly around free and without consequence, after everything he had done? Both to Kev and to the Breach as a whole? Feeling powerless was absolutely awful. It was like a heavy anvil that dragged him down into a dark and bitter ocean. After his training with Fear, he came to grips with these feelings and realized that no matter what he did, he couldn't change the simple fact that...he just didn't have the strength to go out and kill the space dragon with his own fists like an angry caveman. Admitting it stung, but focusing on that which he could attain...? Such as this house, and cultivating his relationships with the people inside of it? Made him feel as if he hadn't lost a thing. Who cares if he wasn't a strong savage man with Ridley's pelt as a rug? People still loved him, and Kev loved himself too. Maybe with time...the former Judge could find such peace too.

Sharing the basement was no problem at all, especially compared to sharing barracks! Or so the alien imagined. Dark, quiet...the smell might not be so great, but the ghouls could not smell. In that case, it wouldn't trouble them! Kev nodded in agreement, and snickered at Mortis' response. "Dogs are funny like that. Sometimes they like stinky smells, other times not. I think Oscar is least bothered by the smell of undeath since he likes to nibble Fear's toes. The other dogs aren't so inclined." Their butts and the musty smells in the yard, though? Oh yeah, all of the dogs were on those scents like white on rice. And as for chores? The helmed ghoul found it unbecoming to ask a guest to help with chores, and indeed Kev understood the logic. Especially as Mortis would only be staying for a few weeks. If he was going to be a longtime resident, chores would be more natural, but for so short a time? Still, the ghoul wanted to help out and they could always use some help. Knowing more about his brother, Kev calmly allowed Fear to delegate and ponder which chores would best fit Mortis' abilities. He held no objections!

"Oh yes, I'm done, thank you! It was a great cup to have for breakfast." Sitting straighter in his chair, the alien's slim back let out a crack or two of its own. While Fear prepared to wash and put away the dishes, he suggested that Kev could show Mortis to the basement. "I can do that!" With a brief warning about the ceiling, Kev slid out of his chair as well. Slippers made a soft noise as they touched back down upon the tile, almost a scuffing sound as the fabric rubbed against it. Taking a brief moment to straight out his shirt and pajama pants, the alien lead the way for Mortis. Thankfully, the path to the basement was not a long one as Kev walked around the side of the bar to enter the kitchen area.

To the right, beside the fridge, was a white doorway that the alien opened for the two of them to enter. Leaving the door open, Kev made his way into the laundry room. It was a small room, allowing enough room to walk through and hold the washer and dryer for the laundry. The paintjob and tile both resembled the kitchen's, and two white cupboards adorned the wall, likely holding the laundry detergents and such within. To the immediate left was a wide window, and directly in front of them was a door that lead to the backyard. To the right and along the wall was yet another door, and this was the one that Kev made a beeline to. Leaving the door open for Mortis as he did before, Kev switched on the light as he lead the way down a flight of stairs. "It's right down here!" He called back up for the former Judge who was likely following him down, a hand steady on the wall as his slippers traced their way down until finally finding the floor of the basement. The alien stepped over to the side to make room for Mortis as he joined him in Fear's room.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:29 pm

"I'm sorry to hear that. I know it is...hard to accept and keep going sometimes, knowing that there are some things you just cannot do. But as long as you focus on what opportunities you do have...you might find that the ones you aren't meant for don't bother you as much."

Alas...

Kev meant well, he honestly did, but someone like Mortis would not see the point of his words until the ghoul desired to embrace them. It was very much like leading a horse to water and expecting it to drink. Mildly frustrating, just a pinch. Fear didn't pay his brother's dogged pessimism much mind, however, as he knew, and experienced, just how unpredictable existence on Portal Breach could be. Never say 'never', hmm? The helmeted superfiend was the first to rise out of his seat. "Right, then! I'll sssee myssself with cleaning up," Fear rasped. Since neither his brother nor Kev wanted a second cup and were done with the biscuits, he reckoned it was time they parted ways. Just for the time being, of course! Corpse hands rigidly loomed over the goodies and used dishes, Fear stacking everything onto the tea tray.

"You needn't ponder about me," he said to them, occupied with his task. By the time he finished gathering everything into a tidy, if not overcrowded pile, and was towering before the sink, both Kev and his brother were already eager to see the basement. "I'll be around, don't you worry. If either of you need anything, you know where to find me."

And with that, Fear pivoted upon his calloused heels and got to washing, whistling a light tune as he did so.

((I think that'll be my last post to this thread. If Fear needs to post again, please let me know!))
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:37 am

Though Fear had given up on trying to convince Mortis otherwise, Kev certainly still had uplifting words of wisdom to spare. Was it any wonder his brother had compared him to that one sinner he found once in the park, Emmet McBarlot?

"I'm sorry to hear that. I know it is...hard to accept and keep going sometimes, knowing that there are some things you just cannot do. But as long as you focus on what opportunities you do have...you might find that the ones you aren't meant for don't bother you as much."

Perhaps it was that Kev did not push the ghoul towards opportunities that were frankly, never in his grasp, or that he had nudged him towards what Mortis was already thinking were the only opportunities that he had available to him, albeit in a vague, possibly unaware way... But the towering undead superfiend pondered it over and gave a small nod. Mostly, as he had heard one small part of his statement:

"...But as long as you focus on what opportunities you do have...you might find that the ones you aren't meant for don't bother you as much."

If he focused on moving forward, to getting better and simply moving out and finding a place of his own at some point. Perhaps even focus on merely rebuilding himself, he would return to how he was before he had came here. Maybe he could return to his old self, content with killing, content with what he was given, and never having a care on what he was missing out on. After all, when he was busy purging the Mega-City, and while he was aiding in eradicating all life from Deadworld, he had nary a care about money, fame, materialism or even companionship. He had his brothers and his cause, those four being all the people he needed in both his life and unlife, and wiping out all crime from the face of the planet being all the satisfaction and accomplishment he ever desired. Although the latter may be impossible now, he could find another goal, another task to whittle away his eternal existence upon this dimension.

"It isss sssomething to consssider." The ghoul hissed, noticeably a little less sullen. Would it last? Perhaps not, but Mortis would do his best to ponder on something a little more proactive.

The chores would be a suitable start.

From beneath the brim of his hat, the ghoul watched Kev as he snickered about the dogs. It seemed the only one who did not mind the corpse smell was Oscar. "Ssss... The toe ssstealer." Mortis rumbled, he knew the dog well from his last visit to Kev's cottage. Given how he acted during the walk, he doubted the min-pin would decide to ease his troublesome behavior while he was here. Keeping his toes upon his person and intact will have to be added to his list of daily chores.

So long as he was not around and harassing his bare, green feet, it was a good time to have a look at the basement. Fear stated he was not going to follow them, already intent on cleaning up the tea tray while Kev showed him around. "Very well, brother. Thank you again for the tea and inviting me over." He rasped, before turning and following the alien to the laundry room. Slippers scuffled and leathery soles softly slapped against the carpet alongside the soft jingle of a loose, silver chain. Empty, dark sockets took in the quaint room, as typical of a utility area as any. Pleasantly tidy and organized, he returned his focus upon the scaly alien as he went to a door upon the right of the room and opened it, revealing the stair case to the basement.

Cold air drifted from the depths like the breath of some sleeping creature, disturbing his overcoat. Perhaps to a sinner like Skuter, it would have been an unwelcome, foreboding sensation, but to Mortis...

"Ssssss..." It felt just like home.

Long limbs dangled lifelessly at his sides as he descended behind Kev, the light flicking on for the alien to see. While the superfiend preferred the lights off, the owner of the house likely could not see very well in the dark, despite his large eyes. He stepped to the side as Mortis came to stand at the bottom of the stairs, looking over what would be his room for the next two weeks. For the most part, the basement had a welcoming, chilly atmosphere, but there was a part of the chamber that he wished to investigate a little further...

His snout turned with a creak of his rigid, cadaverous neck, focusing on a particular corner. It seemed to hold a darker, more negative presence than the rest of the basement. He made no move towards it, not yet, but later when Kev had finished giving him a tour perhaps, he would take a closer look.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 pm

"Consider it as you feel more comfortable, Mortis. You've got a few weeks here, after all. We won't rush you." Kev's house was hardly like a hotel, waiting to evict guests when their time was up. If Mortis needed a bit of extra time, he was welcome to stay so long as he was a good guest. "Indeed, him!" Oscar's reputation definitely proceeded him. While the two of them were downstairs, Fear insisted upon cleaning up the dishes. Stacking together all of the dishes and already looming over the sink to start his work, the alien nodded to him lightly. "We'll call you if we need you. And I promise not to mess up your room any!" He added jokingly. Aside from a fond look, Kev was more focused on showing Mortis to where he would stay than giving the former Judge affection as they temporarily parted ways. Fear seemed to be in better spirits, now doubt happy to have his brother back.

Descending down into perhaps the coldest room in the house, Kev flicked on the lights more out of habit than need. Just as well, though he had night vision he didn't quite trust it for going down stairs. The two of them looked out over Fear's bedroom, a moderately sized little room. It was organized nicely, fitting for a man who had basically been in the military. The furniture was a bit sparse, as there was a bed, a bookcase, and a chair for reading, but not much else. A bit of decoration, primarily a tea cup that Livewire had painted with a macabre design Mortis might enjoy; it depicted much death and people dying with the words 'The Best Solution' painted on the side. The bed was neatly made, spines of the book were impeccably even with each other as they were stacked within the shelves. Simple and with quite a bit of space. Kev stepped forward and stood in the middle of the room. "Here's the bed, where Fear sometimes stretches out since he doesn't sleep." A hand plopped onto the bedding, patting it and yet not disrupting the folds. Kev moved to the chair, standing between it and the books. "And here's where he reads!" Placing around the room, it seemed there wasn't too much else to show around. Fear lived very simply, after all. "If you need anything else while you're staying here, I'm sure we can help. Another chair, or another bed...maybe even books from the library? Anything to make this place feel comfortable and homey for you." Kev offered, a hand gesturing lightly to the sheep skulled man. His head did quirk as Mortis' attention seemed homed in on a certain corner. A rather dark one. Perhaps they didn't need to do anything else to make this place seem more like home.

Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:39 pm

The ghoul nodded, appreciative of Kev's hospitality. However, Mortis was still intent on leaving after his two week stay was up. He did not wish to take up Fear's room overlong, or any other part of the limited space this already full house had. By the time he moved out, any extra time he would need, hopefully would be on his own instead of inside Kev's basement. Kev affirmed that the toe stealer was indeed the infamous toe stealer, and the ghoul could already see how part of his two weeks were going to go;

Give me back my toes, Oscar.

No, Oscar, you cannot nibble my feet.

Stop trying to chew on my host, Oscar.

"Ssss..." Naturally, it was going to be hard to find much enthusiasm about the situation. "I ssshall have to be mindful of who decidesss to follow me downsstairsss." Mortis flatly rasped. Otherwise, that dog was going to get a few harsh lessons in respecting one's personal space. With his brother already hard at work tending to the dishes, there was little need for his presence until they expressly asked for it. Given the simple layout of his room, however... He doubted they would be needing much assistance at all!

There was a bed, a chair, and a bookcase, and a little painted tea cup. His empty sockets focused upon Kev as he heard his feet shuffle against the floor, the green alien coming to stand in the middle of the room. He patted the bedding as he gave his tour, the sheep-skulled undead shambling his way over to have a look at it. Impeccably made, the sheets were pulled taught and tucked neatly under the mattress. If he so wished, the superfiend could likely bounce a quarter off of its surface. His skull swiveled to watch Kev as he stood between the books and the chair. "I sssee. Sssome thingsss have not changed sssince hisss retirement." Mortis hissed in reply. His gaze flicked, unseen, to the dark corner once again before training itself upon the Kryptonistanian.

It was generous, incredibly generous for him and his brother to give such an offer. Albeit humble, Mortis would not be so quick as to think himself worthy of even asking for anything extra while he was down here. Especially a second bed... or a second chair... his head tilted slightly at the offer. It sounded as if he was going to make accommodations so that maybe Fear could stay down here with him. "I am uncertain asss to why I would need a sssecond bed or chair." The ghoul rumbled thoughtfully. "Ssshould either become occupied I am content with the floor. But, I thank you for the offer." As for books, Mortis doubted he would read through all of them within two weeks, especially since he would be attempting to keep himself occupied  when he was not sitting down here.

Otherwise, the basement floor was where the ghoul had figured himself to lay during his stay. It was what he thought himself worthy of after what had happened, after all.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:32 pm

"Ah yes, they'll slip past your ankles if you aren't careful! As lazy as they are sometimes, they can be very quick when they want to get somewhere!" Little sneaks, though Shally was perhaps the worst about it. Like a wee furry sausage... "They're pretty harmless though. Even the toe-biter." Aforementioned toe-biting aside. A good thing it was not summertime, as the animals would no doubt be wanting to snuggle up to Mortis like they did Fear to sap out every bit of undead chill.

"Big book enthusiast before he retired, huh?" The alien nodded his head, not the least bit surprised. "During training, he had me read 'Pride and Prejudice'. I really enjoyed it, particularly the characters!" The collection of books Fear had now were quite knowledgeable, no doubt making for good reads in the lonely hours when Kev slept. There was another positive to having Mortis stay here for a while, the two former Judges would be able to keep each other company during the night!

Head cocking to the side, he couldn't help but to arch a scaly brow. Mortis insisted that should the chair or the bed be claimed, he could always just get down on the floor instead. Tapping his fingertips together, Kev's slim shoulder gave a light shrug. "Are you sure...? You're the guest after all, and Fear's brother. Putting you on the floor feels...wrong and rude." He couldn't help but imagine Mortis looking similar to Fear himself when he laid on the ground; hands crossed over his chest and stiff as a board. Amusing, but hardly a state for a guest! "Of course, you're obviously not isolated in here either so maybe if you need a seat there's always the couch... The house is full of animals but not really full of guests so you should have a place to sit if you need to." At least by Kev's standards, the house wasn't too full. It was possible that Mortis may see otherwise, since there was Fear, Kev, Marvin, Mortis himself, and Skyler and Livewire who stayed over frequently.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:53 pm