Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Dead Man Walking

Post by Kev on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Kev gave Fear's 'doggie bag' a wide berth as the ghoul walked past to properly dispose of it. They just about had to use an actual trash bag for Metus! Still, it was polite to pick it up. They had neighbors now, they couldn't allow the dogs to just poop wherever they wished. With Fear taking care of that, the alien turned to their guest and nodded his head politely at the thanks. "You're welcome." Mortis had never been refused as a guest before, now wasn't exactly the time to decide to kick him out. Especially since Fear and Mortis seemed to have worked everything out... Kev did not feel skeptical about the idea that they had finally come to an understanding, in fact he really hoped they were alright now! But he did feel rather guarded as he walked past Mortis and into the kitchen.

Fear was already gathering supplies to make the tea, and he expressed interest in reading the paper. "Alright!" He glanced down at the folded newspaper, then to Mortis. Only when Mortis declined to read it did Kev reached out to pick the paper back up. Folding it gently in his hands, Kev slid out of his stool and walked across the kitchen to a white door. Opening it up revealed the dining room inside, with a sizable table that could definitely seat the three of them, as well as a couple more guests. The newspaper was set before Fear's usual chair, unfolded and spread before it like a dining mat. Kev flipped through a couple of pages before--aha! There it was... The obituary. Finished, Kev returned to the kitchen, leaving the door to the dining room open for them. Taking his seat back at the bar, Kev glanced between the two of them yet again. Fear, who was making tea for them, and Mortis, who was standing around in an awkward fashion and an eye socket that seemed to be looking at Kev in particular. One hand patted the counter down before finding his glass and grasping it. The scaly alien momentarily directed his attention to the orange juice, dipping his fingers inside as both hands clasped around the drink. Might as well finish what was left before the tea, right?

His slippers kicked idly as he pondered what to say. This was a situation that needed tact above all else. Maybe it wasn't even any of his business what they had talked about...? Yet, that answer didn't seem to be good enough to wave off his curiosity. No...Kev wanted to know what had happened. His gaze still on the orange juice, Kev took a brief inhale of air before he finally spoke up. "It must have been a very lovely chat. I'm relieved that you two have finally gotten a chance to talk." Especially what seemed to be a deep, emotional talk. After what had happened last time... His eyes lifted from the glass and Kev glanced between the two of them yet again. "Does this mean that...everything is alright now? Between you two and..." Kev's eyes fixed onto Mortis in particular. "Between us?"

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:38 pm

There was nothing more nerve-rattling than making a proper pot of tea while in the midst of two very awkward ducklings. The silence... The stiff conversing... The unspoken tension that just saturated the kitchen, good lord. It was almost enough to blow Fear's levelheaded top clean off. Would it kill either of them to at least feign pleasant mannerisms? Well, he supposed it could be worse... Neither his brother nor Kev were crass enough to -

"It must have been a very lovely chat. I'm relieved that you two have finally gotten a chance to talk. Does this mean that... everything is alright now? Between you two and... Between us?"

Jesus H. Christ!

"Mm..." Disgruntled didn't even begin to cover it, and the helmeted fiend rigidly pivoted upon his leathery heels to stare at the alien, unfinished tea tray in hand. "Really, Kev? Not even a 'how isss your day, Mortisss?' or a 'I hope you enjoyed the walk with your brother, Mortisss'? You jussst have to leap right into sssomething delicate immediately out of the gate?" Guess the premise of small talk was a luxury these days... Several droopy eyes rolled in their pulsating sockets as Fear returned to his preparation of the morning's tea. The kettle was almost to a satisfactory boil. "Tea will be ready in a few minutesss," he grumbled. The nerve of that alien, honestly! Even asking about the bloody weather would have been more preferable than just outright inquiring about the superfiends' earlier chat. Now things were going to be even more uncomfortable... Terrific.

As irritated as Fear was, however, he knew better than to make things worse - let Kev stick a foot into his non-existent mouth. "Yesss, it wasss a lovely chat. Yesss, we got thingsss sssquared away." Sour, very sour. The ghoul lapsed into a brief quiet spell and merely focused on the tea, not trusting the next word out of his mouth to be remotely decent.

It seemed a kettle full of water wasn't the only thing simmering this morning...
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:38 am

Quiet, it was amazing how quiet the house became when he had stepped in. It could not have been this quiet usually, right? Fear and Kev usually must talk up a storm when he's not here, right? Granted, his brother was usually a quiet, level-headed soul himself, but when it came to Kev, he tended to open up. In fact he opened up a lot more around the alien than he ever did with him. It was good to see him so happy, so outgoing. But right now, it was nothing but awkward silence.

Mortis glanced up from the counter, to Kev and back down again. He should be saying something, shouldn't he? As a guest, and one that had already caused so much trouble for them both, he should be trying to make up for his misgivings... The sheep-skulled undead tapped his talons against the counter top. What would make for good small-talk? He could talk about the weather, maybe ask how his morning was going. Although... The alien had just woke up, right? He glanced at the clock above the sink, the time reading close to 7:40 in the AM. Yeah, that sounded about right for a mortal to wake up. Would Kev be interested in small-talk, or conversation of any kind with him? The alien was willing enough to let him inside but it was clear he was curious and perhaps confused as to what was going on. What he be interested in talking about, would he turn down morning small-talk and instead want to know what was going on instead?

There was a soft hiss from the sheep-skulled undead, look from the clock over to Kev. It would not be too bad to start some conversation, right? It had to be better than the uncomfortable silence that was settling on the room. "Ss-ssso... How isss your--?"

"It must have been a very lovely chat. I'm relieved that you two have finally gotten a chance to talk. Does this mean that... everything is alright now? Between you two and... Between us?"

"Really, Kev? Not even a 'how isss your day, Mortisss?' or a 'I hope you enjoyed the walk with your brother, Mortisss'? You jussst have to leap right into sssomething delicate immediately out of the gate?"

His host curled inward in a wince and his skull looked back down at the counter again, his tail curling about his leg at Fear's disgruntled hiss. Granted, it was something heavy to start out with out of the gate, but he had to appreciate Kev's forwardness. As well, he was not the only one to blame as to why silence had started to settle upon the kitchen on such a fine morning. "Apologiesss, I wass not sssure what would have been a good sstarter. It isss sstill early in the morning." He rasped softly, maybe it was not early for him, but it was probably early for the alien who had just finished reading the paper. He looked away from Fear, glancing over at one of the stools.  "May I... sssit?" He asked Kev carefully, aware of his brother's irritation even without the mental link in place. A talon indicated to a seat at the end of the counter, leaving two seats for his brother and Kev to sit next to each other.

He glanced back into the kitchen as his brother's bass took on a sour tone before falling silent. his tail flicked beneath the long fabric, and for a moment a claw rose back up to fiddle with the chain that swung loosely from his neck. Should Kev decided to look, he would find it was no longer connected to anything, and there was no badge to be found upon his chest. "I-it wass a nice chat. I apologized to Fear for my actionsss thisss passt year... towardsss him, towardss everyone." He paused, the ghoul's tone subdued and quiet. "I am sssorry you had to sssuffer from my actionsss asss well. It isss good to know my brother hasss sssomeone who caresss for him, that isss sso loyal and loving." Something that Mortis had been anything and everything but this past span of a year. He gave a small sigh, releasing the silvery links. "Thank you... For being there for him." he rasped softly, before returning his gaze to the kitchen and watched the kettle boil.

"Thisss may be a lot to take in for one morning. I apologissse if it isss too much." He added slowly after a thought, tilting his head in Kev's direction. Likely it was far too much for his brother's liking either, as he watched him simmer along with the kettle. However, the opportunity for small talk had long since passed with Kev's question, and to leave him wondering would make things more awkward than they already were, he decided. Mortis gave another small sigh and looked down at the counter once again, his claws situating themselves in his pockets. There was going to be no winning today.

...At least the marbling in the counter top looked nice.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:48 am

Kev flinched as he unintentionally spoke over Mortis, not even realizing that the ghoul had been about to initiate small-talk. If he knew, he would have gladly made small talk. With only silence, all there was to do was awkwardly stew in the quiet. The lean alien flinched again as Fear pivoted and stared at him. With his helm on, there were no 'eyes' to be seen on Fear's face, but Kev still knew that Fear was very unhappy with him.

"Really, Kev? Not even a 'how isss your day, Mortisss?' or a 'I hope you enjoyed the walk with your brother, Mortisss'? You jussst have to leap right into sssomething delicate immediately out of the gate?"

Well, so much for trying to use tact. Guess he was better off not asking about it at all. With a light huff of a sigh, the Kryptonistanian crossed one leg over the other in his chair. "I'm sorry I asked." That sliced a lot of questions off of Kev's list. With a grumbling announcement for the tea, Fear was busy at the moment and definitely not in the mood for small talk. Kev turned to Mortis and shook his head lightly. "You don't have to apologize, Mortis. How was your day? I hope you enjoyed your walk with your brother." Soon after, the sheep headed Judge asked for permission to sit, earning him a surprised blink. Though usually polite, Kev wasn't used to this side of Mortis. Asking for permission to come in, to sit. The ghoul was like a battered survivor, asking permission rather than accidentally do something to incur wrath. It made him rather perturbed, to see the head strong ghoul so...submissive. "Yes, you may." Kev finally answered with a nod, still a bit awkward.

Fear spoke up again, in a very harsh and sour tone, and the alien stared at Fear's back as he made the tea. Was he really so upset that he'd asked about their talk? Barely even eight o'clock and he'd already ticked off his boyfriend... This was going to be a great day, by Jove. "Thank you." His tone was dull and unhappy. The last of his orange juice was consumed and the alien set the glass down, reaching for the napkin dispenser and pulling out a napkin. Thankfully, Mortis decided to fill in more gaps. The white paper was held in his hands as he turned back to Mortis, pausing in his drying around the middle of Mortis' explanation, right about the part where Mortis apologized to him. If he thought Mortis seemed meek before...

"O-oh. Um..." Bunching the napkin between his fingers, he wrestled for a response. "I'm...glad! Thank you for apologizing. Both to him, and...to me. Though he obviously deserved it more." Fear had been hurt most, after all. The alien's scaly cheeks brightened at the compliments as well, scales a vibrant green now. He glanced down sheepishly. "Of course..." His eyes again turned towards the skeletal back of Fear as Kev continued. "He's been there for me for a lot of things...it's only fair that I was there for him through all of this." He hadn't wanted Fear to suffer alone, though outright stating such would probably make Fear angrier. It wouldn't do any good to remind them of how much they had suffered... "Thank you. For...being here for him."

This was a morning he had not quite predicted, though time here taught Kev not to predict how his mornings may turn out. "It's alright, I'm sorry for making it worse. I just...wanted to know what had happened. If maybe...things were now back to normal. I shouldn't have asked." His boyfriend had gone from cutting his brother off completely to inviting him over for tea, it was a rather dramatic shift. It would have been difficult to just write it off completely. Not to mention what had happened with Veskur, and Lunette... Well...curiosity did kill the alien, or so they say. It was then that the alien noticed something specific was missing from Mortis' uniform. A certain badge across the chest... He glanced at the empty spot before averting his eyes and digging for a topic. "So... Do you want some biscuits with your tea?" He remembered Mortis seemed fond of biscuits with his tea!

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:38 pm

"Apologiesss, I wass not sssure what would have been a good sstarter. It isss sstill early in the morning."
    "I'm sorry I asked."

Timid, insensitive... Timid, insensitive... It was like hot and cold with these two!

As usual, being an empath had its usual drawbacks and Fear mustered up enough resolve to keep his temper restrained. Was Mortis' moroseness beginning to take its toll? Absolutely. Was Kev's tactless mannerisms starting to grate on his nerves? Absolutely. Nonetheless, the helmeted fiend bit his tongue and hoped for a peaceful outcome between two previously antagonistic forces. They'll figure something out, he reckoned. If everyone on Portal Breach had an eternity to spend, why bother holding grudges? It just wasn't a smart thing to do, let alone energy efficient. Skeletal fingers at last finished slicing a generous amount of thin lemon slices and Fear arranged them into an aesthetically-pleasing floral arrangement. Well... if anything, all this stress was keeping his hands busy and his thoughts racing. That was good for something, yes? A churning whistle from the kettle drew the ghoul's attention. Ah, the water was finished.

Fear was mindful the conversation transpiring behind him, though he wisely refrained from commenting. Let them talk, let them establish some common ground. He, meanwhile, will dutifully tend to the tea and keep out of it. Four scoops of loose leaf were added to the pot and he brought the container over, pouring the boiling water in without delay. Steam rose upwardly and curled around his helm. "Five minutesss," Fear hissed, gingerly placing the lid while searching for a nearby tea cozy. Five minutes until everyone could just enjoy a nice cuppa.

Five minutes until his mind could buzz with something else.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 pm

Mortis' tail flicked nervously between his legs, idly bumping and rubbing against his leathers. His brother had told him not to be so sullen, not so morose, and while he tried to not be so depressing... There was just so much that he was over-aware of. Not only had he hurt Fear with his actions, he had hurt Kev, and in turn that likely did nothing to help his brother's empathetic state of being. Then again, his own state of mind was not helping him either.

A clawed hand re-positioned itself from its grip upon his chain and rubbed the back of his head. Relax, think positive... Stale air puffed from his teeth in a small sigh as he tried to focus on something not so negative. He was here with his brother, Kev did not seem to mind his presence all that much, they were going to have tea, and he had a nice, long talk with his brother for the first time in months...

"You don't have to apologize, Mortis. How was your day? I hope you enjoyed your walk with your brother."

The undead turned his snout to Kev, giving a small nod at the question regarding his day. "Today wasss better than many I've had lately." He hissed, sounding not so morose as he had a few moments ago. Considering he had started the day pondering a means to destroy himself or become contained indefinitely, to be waiting in the kitchen for tea was a definite highlight of today, and perhaps most of the prior weeks. He gave a thankful nod in the alien's direction as he was allowed to sit on one of the stools, taking a seat at the one at the end of the counter. Mortis' host was large enough that he adjusted himself to sit more steadily upon it, as his form tended to dwarf most furniture that fit mortals comfortably. He glanced over at Kev once again, the awkwardness that settled between them growing palpable. "Thank you. You have a very nice home." He commented, attempting to alleviate the situation.

Although it seemed the alien was only growing more unhappy. Although he knew that it was due to his attempt at conversation being a little more heavy-handed than intended, it was hard to deny that if he had not come to be a guest in their home, there would have been no disruptions to their morning. They did not say he could not stay or outright told him to leave, but the thought of walking out still crossed his mind. The last thing he wanted to do was disrupt their morning and become the skeletal elephant in the room. Yet, to leave would mean to decline his brother's generous hospitality, and in turn thwart any effort to right his wrongs.

"Sssss..."

"O-oh. Um... I'm...glad! Thank you for apologizing. Both to him, and...to me. Though he obviously deserved it more."

The ghoul's snout tilted down to look at the counter again, a quiet sigh escaping him. "I know. He hasss tried ssso hard for me, and thiss passt year I had not done a damned thing to make thingsss easssier for him." He had been so self-centered, so foolish, so inconsiderate... his gaze remained fixed on the marbling in the counter for a short while. "I ssshould have been there for him more. He isss my brother, my only brother. If you were not here for him I'm not certain what elssse may have transsspired from my actionsss." He was the only one who came here that was from his home dimension, and likely the only one who would ever show up. Though Kev did not say he did not want Fear to suffer alone, Mortis knew it regardless. If Kev had not been there for him, likely they would not have a chance to become brothers again, to mend anything that had transpired between them. He would not have had anyone to fall back on and go to for his troubles, and it would have made everything that much worse than it already was.

At Kev's thanks Mortis looked up from the grouping of swirling patterns in the coutertop, uncertain by what he meant. In the beginning he had been there for him, but as of this past year? He could not remember a single time where he had actually been around to give his brother comfort or advice, or to just be there for him. But... He was here for him now, at least. Mortis remained silent, and finally replied with a small nod before turning his attention to Fear.

Lemon slices were being cut and placed on the tray in a floral arrangement, and soon the kettle started to whistle. The tea would be ready soon. As for Kev, he glanced over at him once again when he had said that he did not know what had happened. "I would have thought you already knew." Mortis replied, genuinely surprised. His brother and Kev had grown close enough that they shared a mental link between the both of them. They were essentially confidants to each other.

Then again, there were some matters that were meant to be kept private.

His brother stated that the tea would be ready in a few minutes, and he noted that Kev took a glance at his chest, the place where his badge used to be in fact. However, he did not seem to have anything to say about it, or he already figured what may have occurred, and so the sheep-skulled undead let it be. "Yesss, pleasse. Bisscuitsss would be nice." He hissed, affirming with a small nod of his head.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:37 am

Mortis continued to be rather jittery, seemingly unsure what to do with his own hands as they moved from his chain to his own head. The bony tail he owned was also rather waggy today. Though he knew of this side of Mortis through Fear's previous experiences with him... The Judge usually carried himself more confidently around Kev, as if unwilling to admit any weaknesses or let down his guard. Now it seems their positions were reversed. Now Kev was the guarded one, with Mortis the apologetic, meek one. How lucky for Mortis that Kev wasn't the type to give tests and grab him by the throat. The alien instead observed, almost calculating. "Those days will soon be a thing of the past, left behind in the vast recesses of your memories. Your days from here on out should be decidedly more optimistic." A bad time did not mean a bad life. As long as Mortis was willing to work through this and get past it, he would feel better. "You're welcome. And, thank you. I really like this place..." A bit of gentle fondness found its way into his telepathic voice, the alien overlooking the kitchen and glancing behind himself to the family room. This place was perhaps his first actual house in all his time here. He'd gone from living in a church, to living in the Inn, to living in a cottage that belonged to his old girlfriend. This was his house. A house he chose, bought, and lived in. The cottage was still great, but there was something extra great about this place.

Kev listened as Mortis stared down at the counter morosely, relaying his mistakes. And...yeah. Mortis was correct. The past year had been a very hard one for them both, and Mortis hadn't made things easier. Fear had been taken from him, for a little over a month. It would have been more, if not for KARR. Fear came when summoned, but he wasn't the same at that time. Their mental bond had been muffled and silenced, for Kev's health. The alien had felt so hopeless and scared, and it was due to this man right here. And now, he had disappeared, and more had suffered. Lunette grappled with personal guilt, Veskur had put himself in harm's way for her, and wound up killed, and Fear... Kev stared Mortis down, pupils narrowing as a protective feeling blossomed in his chest.

"If you were not here for him I'm not certain what elssse may have transsspired from my actionsss."

Despite it all... The alien let out a deep breath, relaxing in his stool. "What matters is that you are here now. You are here, you know you were wrong, and you admit it. That's progress. You may have messed up, but everybody makes mistakes." Kev gestured lightly to Fear. Even Kev, the loyal guypal who's been here for Fear through everything, could make a mistake and upset him. "You are already in a much better place than you were before. Impermanence, Mortis. You have a lot of time still left with him. I have no doubt that you'll be able to make up for this past year. And soon, it will all be a memory and nothing more." After what had transpired before, Mortis had not quite addressed what he had done wrong. It was what lead to him spiraling down into paranoia. He saw blame everywhere but with himself? Now? Now, Mortis obviously saw where he had done wrong. Even though it felt strange to see him this way... It felt a lot more genuine than what Mortis had been like for the past few months.

His eyes settled back onto Fear at the sound of the kettle, he could sense his unhappiness from here. The tea was steeping, and so was he. Steeping in his unhappiness. The thought of apologizing crossed his mind, though 'time and place' cropped up. Fear didn't seem to be in much of a 'listening to apologies' mood. Nodding his head as Fear gave them an update on the tea, he saw Fear feel around for a tea cozy. "There's one in the drawer to your left, with the oven mitts." Fear was upset, and Kev didn't want him to be, but it was too late for that now. The best he could do was talk nicely with Mortis and then talk in private with Fear. Battle plan made, his attention turned back to Mortis, both arms folding on the counter as he listened.

"Hmm...?" Kev quirked his head to the side, blinking at the ghoul's surprise. It seems he had figured Fear and Kev to be mentally attached at the hip. Though they were rather closely linked... There were indeed moments of privacy. "I knew he went out for a walk, and obviously I now know that you two had talked during the walk, but I don't know what about. When it comes to you, I usually grant Fear his privacy. Sometimes, it's just not my business, you know? I leave it up to him to tell me what all I need to know." Besides, a simple walk with the dogs didn't seem to be something that meant Kev had to linger mentally over Fear's shoulder. As for biscuits, Mortis did indeed want some and so Kev gave him a nod. Sliding out of his stool. Kev walked around the counter to enter the kitchen properly. He made a beeline for the cupboards, checking two of them before he found the one he wanted. Making sure to give Fear a wide berth all the while, he pulled out a box of biscuits. Rather than touch Fear's tray, Kev set the box down near it. Fear was particular about his tea, and so Kev didn't want to just toss some biscuits onto the neatly made tray. He'd leave that for Fear to set the way he liked. With a light nod to his guypal, Kev returned to his seat at the counter.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Well... things were finally starting to sound more natural, even if they were speaking about him as if he wasn't there. Mighty awkward, that.

Fear wasn't daft (usually) - he knew when he was being a pill. But sometimes you just had to be, you know? Especially when two previously antagonistic individuals were now seated at the kitchen bar, twiddling their thumbs and having not a royal clue how to converse with one another. It wasn't perfect and both Mortis and Kev could get stuck in their old habits, but... it'll do. The helmeted ghoul's temper gradually lessened and he soon went about finishing up the tray with his typical rigid and calm motions. Milk, lemon slices, sugar, and honey... Oh, and can't forget the biscuits. Mortis was rather fond of his - "Ssss..." And there went Kev, getting out of his seat and fetching the biscuit box. Like clockwork, Fear wasn't appreciative of the gesture. "The hossst," he hissed disapprovingly, "preparesss the tray and the guessstsss are to remain ssseated." It was just common courtesy for both parties! Besides, could he not have retrieved the biscuit box himself?

Ah, but what's done is done. There was no use fixating on the social faux pas, not when the five minutes were up, and it was within good time that both Mortis and Kev had a steamy cup of fresh black tea before their antsy hands. The tray had already been set onto the counter, everything on it for their enjoyment; and yes, the biscuits had been placed on their plate in a respectable manner. Don't be shy, lads! Fix your cups and savour a few.

Anyway, should he say something now? Maybe he should say something now, but... eh. Mortis and Kev seemed to be hitting it off better than a few minutes ago. Best to keep to himself and let those two have their moment, Fear reasoned. He'll speak when it was time.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 am

Alas, the reversal of their positions was the last thing on the superfiend's mind as he sat at the counter, observing the alien from a single eye socket. No glow resided within their darkened pits for a long, long time. For days, they were empty and ironically, lifeless. Although, if the alien were the one to take someone by the throat the moment they dropped their guard and showed themselves as weak... The ghoul would not have fought it, he would not have fought much of anything today, like the previous days.

He watched as the alien looked over him, calculating. Perhaps he thought Mortis' moroseness to be merely a front and nothing more? It would be unfortunate if that were the case, but rarely had there been a time that the ghoul seemed genuine to the alien and wasn't speaking to him through the front required by his badge. "Sssoon isss a relative term." he hissed, glancing over at Kev, "I could work to better thingsss, to make them right again with you, with Lunnette, Vessskur, my brother, and that would be all right and well. The hardessst thing, I believe, will be forgiving myssself." As a Judge, they were not ones to grant mercy to those who did wrong, and that included themselves. It was a trait that carried on after the badge had been removed, along with their supposedly eternal purpose. Even now, a bullet between the sockets and an eternity of isolation would have been welcomed as punishment for the crimes he committed against those who had trusted him.

It would have been welcomed, but the undead knew that his wrongs would not have been righted. Perhaps after they were...

Kev's expression changed, no longer content with his surroundings as he focused intensely upon his skeletal guest. His eyes squinted, and the sheep-skulled ghoul awaited for whatever thoughts may be voiced next. Likely it would be nothing all that kind or comforting from what he could discern. Perhaps with everything that happened he would get tossed out anyway, despite the faith Fear had placed in him again. It would be expected, he supposed, that while his brother was willing to help him, Kev had enough of his presence to last the rest of his existence on this planet. Yet, Kev instead relaxed in his seat and gave a calming sigh. Mortis looked at him fully, listening.

"What matters is that you are here now. You are here, you know you were wrong, and you admit it. That's progress. You may have messed up, but everybody makes mistakes."

For a moment the animated corpse wondered if Kev was saying that to himself as much as he was expressing it to him. Regardless, he was wise enough to know not to speak it aloud. "Thank you, Kev." he hissed, grateful. There are too many that were ssso easssily... avoidable." Veskur's Death, leaving Fear alone for over a month while he had gone wandering and pondering something that was not worth his time to think about, and to top it off his decision to essentially destroy himself and become a husk of what he once was over a feeling that he thought was unlawful and hurt his brother in the process. Another empty sigh passed through him, though quiet, a lot of weight passed with it. He could feel them all upon his shoulders, every mistake and sin he had committed weighing on his spirit.

Empty sockets glanced back idly to his brother as he looked for the tea cozy, the fellow undead having said nary a word since he and Kev had started talking. Perhaps he wanted them to get acquainted, or he found nothing to comment on as he went about preparing the tea.

As for their link, well it was a no-brainer. Ever since his brother and Kev grew closer, they had been steadily sharing more between each other. As Kev was one of the few psychic creatures he had ever come across in this dimension... Well, it was inevitable. Should he have been in the same position, he would have wanted to link himself to the he liked if it were possible. However, Mortis remained silent as Kev explained, nodding his head in understanding once he finished. "I sssee." He hissed, the ghoul understood why, but when one had been linked for centuries to three others and tended to share almost everything with them... "There are timesss I forget there are boundariesss. When we had been four inssstead of two, there wasss little that wasss not sshared. There are disscrepanciesss now, of coursse. Much hasss changed." in regards to his remaining brother, much had changed for the better. He found someone that made him happy, he had lots of friends, and now he was staying with that person who made him so happy. Things were so much better when Mortis was out of the picture it almost made him wonder why Fear was willing to keep him around at all.

Whenever he came around...he tended to bring unhappiness with him. It was his own fault, that he knew, but it was a hard notion to shake.

Kev hopped off the stool to retrieve the biscuit box and Mortis glanced up, "Oh, y-you don't have to get it right now..." Mortis softly hissed after him, but lo and behold, he already went and pulled out the box, setting it next to his brother while he was still preparing the tea tray. Oh, and he did not seem all that pleased about it either.

He looked back down at the counter as his brother rumbled his disapproval. If he had not told Kev that he would have liked some biscuits, likely none of this would have happened. Once again it was because of his presence that things were going roughly. "Apologiesss, Kev." He hissed quietly, glancing over to him while a hand slid over the back of his bleached cranium to flex against his neck.

A fresh cuppa was placed before him, and Mortis looked up, his hand sliding off from his neck to rest on his lap as he looked at his brother. "Thank you." He rumbled, taking the cup in his large hands. It looked almost like part of a child's tea set, despite fitting comfortably in the hands of the average human. He took a small sip, savoring the first cuppa he had in a long while. he would have some biscuits later, but for now he wanted to give his mind some reprieve and remember something comforting.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:14 am

The persistent, blazing glow in Mortis' eye sockets was very much absent today. What usually seemed to be like a crackling fireplace, was now a dead fireplace. A pit of ashes with not even a single smolder in the pile. It was as unnerving as when the lights went out of Fear's helm. At least for Fear, that could happen when he had spaced out or was in a place of zen... Mortis was reactive, he wasn't spaced out. The ghoul was merely...broken.

Forgiveness was...tricky. Sometimes, it was easier to forgive others than it was to forgive yourself. Betrayals most deep and tragic, wrongs most despicable... If one found it within their heart, they could forgive even the worst of transactions. Why was it so hard, just to forgive oneself? "Mm..." Mortis' flaw was also Fear's, as well as Kev's. A nice little party the three of them made, punishing themselves for their own transgressions. Repenting and suffering as a proper 'payment' for their wrongs, their oversights. Kev scratched lightly at the marble, sighing lightly. "I know it's hard to forgive yourself. The best thing I can suggest is to focus on the people that have forgiven you. As long as you make things right, you shouldn't be punished any further. Not by me, and not by yourself." It was a little frightening to realize all three of them had this mindset in common, particularly with the mind links involved. That had a rather daunting potential... Something to keep in mind for the future, definitely.

There was no doubt, Mortis truly held regret for what he had done. Of course, there was no satisfaction in finally hearing Mortis admit it. There was no relief that Mortis now genuinely understood. Kev only felt uneasy, and sympathetic. This was a sticky, unhappy situation all around. He just wanted the two Judges to be happy once again, and look at them now; both were unhappy. This would take time... "Many things can be easily avoided. You just...have to face the consequences and move on." Kev knew he'd be facing some consequences of his own. He'd swallow them, face what punishment he had to for being hasty.

As for mind links, Kev hoped that letting Mortis know he had privacy with Fear gave him some peace of mind. It had to be rather stressful, to feel as if your brother's guypal was lurking over his shoulder when the two of you talked. No... While it had once been privacy due to their jobs, over the course of the past several months, the privacy was due to the emotions of them. Fear and Mortis' relationship was only Kev's business if it hurt Fear. Of course, for the Dark Judges, there was no sense of privacy. Their minds were open books, bared for the other to read. Kev nodded his head lightly, remembering the boundaries that he and Fear had run into. Personally, the idea of being linked completely with a guy like Death sent all the wrong shivers down his spine... "I try to give him his space when I can. There's a time and place for everything." His bond with Fear was a lot more open and engaging than the one with either Terra or Arius. As nice as it might be to permanently lurk in Fear's mind, there also needed to be some distance sometimes. They did not want any more bleeds, if they could help it.

With the biscuit box in hand, the lean alien half-turned to face Mortis. "Why not? The tea will be ready soon, right?" So it stood to reason that, with Fear already concentrating on the other assortments of the tea tray, Kev could grab the box for him! That way, Fear could collect everything and pour the drinks without also needing to double back for the box. It didn't hurt to help, right--

"Ssss... The hossst, preparesss the tray and the guessstsss are to remain ssseated."

Kev flinched. The hand that had been setting the box down, pulled away from the cardboard as if it was a bear trap.  Wide-eyed, he stared up at Fear's helm even as the ghoul's eye contact was centered away from him. There was a brief, squirming kind of pain in his chest. Not quite dread, but nothing pleasant. "I...but..." Weren't they both hosts? Mortis was the guest here, not Kev. Kev was Fear's partner, and if Fear was preparing the refreshments...shouldn't his partner assist? Watching Fear do all the work made him feel guilty and lazy. He wanted to contribute, to help, even if it was grabbing a box off of a shelf for him. Fear obviously didn't see it the same way. Swallowing down any hurt he felt, small though it was, the alien meekly returned to his stool without another word. As his body shifted back into place in the chair, he turned back to Mortis and shook his head. "You don't have to apologize, Mortis. I should have stayed in my seat. You deserve a biscuit or two." As if Mortis needed more reason to feel guilty...

The tea was ready, and Fear had placed the tray upon the counter. Their cups already poured, those were set before the two of them. The cups, which looked so tiny in the hands of Fear and Mortis, fit perfectly in Kev's own hands. He pulled his drink close, and grabbed the bottle of honey to squeeze some of it into his cuppa. "Thank you, Fear." His fingertip tapped lightly into the drink, giving it a stir before pulling back out before it could burn. Such a thick, almost bitter tea, though it was sweetened by the honey. "I put the newspaper down in your usual spot." His gaze seemed stuck on the dark marble, boring into it with all of his might. When his gaze did leave it, dark blue eyes looking back to Fear's helm, he spoke hesitantly. "Aside from...the squirrels...and the rocks...did the dogs behave on their walk?"

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:21 am

Even now, a bullet between the sockets and an eternity of isolation would have been welcomed as punishment for the crimes he committed against those who had trusted him.It would have been welcomed, but the undead knew that his wrongs would not have been righted. Perhaps after they were...

It would be expected, he supposed, that while his brother was willing to help him, Kev had enough of his presence to last the rest of his existence on this planet.

Things were so much better when Mortis was out of the picture it almost made him wonder why Fear was willing to keep him around at all.

If he had not told Kev that he would have liked some biscuits, likely none of this would have happened. Once again it was because of his presence that things were going roughly.

You know, it wasn't every day Fear wanted to throttle his brother and slap an ounce of sense, at the minimum, into his brother's hollow cranium, but today was just riddled with aggravations. To openly sigh was to express his displeasure, and to express his displeasure without consideration for his guests at a tea party, no matter how informal, was to portray him as a most horrid host. Ergo, the helmeted ghoul settled for a suitable compromise.

He turned his eyes to God, all several dozen, and gathered what strength he could.

"Mortisss," rasped Fear, his otherworldly tone dripping with fatigue. "I know thingsss are hard and you've atonement to fulfill, but do try to keep a posssitive outlook. Your tea will curdle at the rate you're going." And remember that there were two minds tethered to the same line, with a possible third. As for a certain scaly bugger and his hurt feelings, insensitivity notwithstanding... The fiend regarded Kev politely, fixing a cup for himself. "Apologiesss, Kev, but I mussst follow proper etiquette," he explained. As was typical, Fear added nothing to his tea and preferred to drink it pure. "The hossst isss to prepare the tray for everyone to enjoy. It would be incredibly rude of me to assssk, let alone expect, either you or my brother to asssissst in what ssshould be my resssponsssibility." Was that comprehensible? Hopefully, as Kev was an alien and therefore needed further clarity when it pertained to human traditions. Anyway...

There was no longer a need to remain standing in the kitchen, and so Fear retrieved his cup and saucer, both comically three sizes too small, and maneuvered around the bar to have a seat beside his brother. "You are free to help yourssselvesss, gentlemen," he rasped, grabbing a biscuit. "Take whatever you'd like and enjoy, but pleassse be mindful and avoid making an obssscene messsss." Not that anyone would. It just never hurt to cover all the bases. "You are both welcome, by the way."

And so there Fear sat, quietly sipping away with his helmet open and an ear lazily directed at Kev's and Mortis' conversation. Well, they seemed to be hitting it off rather well - much better than earlier, at least. So long as neither started throwing insults or punches, the ghoul was satisfied.

Well, somewhat. Fear couldn't say he was a fan of how the subject of his morning talk with Mortis was broached. Speaking of that...

"Aside from...the squirrels...and the rocks...did the dogs behave on their walk?"

"Oh, they were angelsss," answered a nonchalant Fear, his skeletal fingers easily dwarfing the porcelain cup in his hand. He drained his tea in two gulps and leaned over the marble counter, staring listlessly off into space. The biscuit remained in his free hand and was momentarily forgotten. "Assside from Ossscar who pitched a fit and thought himssself a king of foolsss, everyone behaved jussst fine. You ought to consssider rearing that ssspoiled pooch better." Because the next time Oscar overstepped his boundaries and toyed with Fear's patience, that yipping little sack of sass was going to outright rue the day. Ahh... nothing like breaking a feisty spirit with discipline and cruelty. A rumbling chuckle escaped the fiend's throat as he poured himself another cup, delighted by the thought of instilling a healthy dose of terror into the Miniature Pinscher. Oh right, the paper. "I'll be getting to that in a little bit, thank you."  But not any time soon, so there it could remain on the dinner table until desired.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:56 am

"I know it's hard to forgive yourself. The best thing I can suggest is to focus on the people that have forgiven you. As long as you make things right, you shouldn't be punished any further. Not by me, and not by yourself."

A soft hiss sighed from Mortis' empty ribs upon hearing the green alien's words. There was truth to his words that the superfiend could not deny, that to focus on the ones that forgive him would be the best thing for him to do and in all rights it should be what he's supposed to be focusing upon. They were the ones he had hurt, they needed his attention in order to feel better and for him to mend what he had done. Though he personally did not agree that he should not be punished further, the undead found nothing in Kev's statement worth arguing against. "I sssuppossse..." He quietly hissed, attempting to focus upon the alien's advice instead of everything that had compounded into this... Mess.

His tail flicked and curled lightly around one of the stool's legs, mindful not to rub away the wood's sealed coating. Mortis could sense that Kev felt uneasy, though he lacked the empathetic talents of his brother, he could still tell from how the alien looked. Given his own moroseness that he was finding a challenge to keep tucked away, he was grateful that his mind remained unlinked for the time being. The ghoul was enough of a burden to his brother as is without Kev suffering as well from his own sullen thoughts. Whether or not the ghoul would be happy was a matter of time and what Mortis did with it, for as anyone knew, to attempt to obtain happiness was more of a constant pursuit than a sure capture of it. Perhaps in time he would find his, and perhaps not.

It all remained to be seen.

For now, the ghoul nodded his skeletal head as he tilted it towards Kev, both sets of talons coming to rest on his lanky thighs. "Yesss... It isss all I can do at thisss point." Mortis replied softly. For some of his mistakes, the consequences he would face would be permanent, perhaps unable to be remedied. Others perhaps would be more lenient, although he loathed to think anyone would go easy on a creature such as himself. No, a monster like himself. Mortis glanced down at the table, empty sockets studying the marbling. He was doing exactly what his brother had told him not to, again. He was being negative, and in being negative he was trying the patience of a man who by all rights should have said "oh well" to his plight and left him. He mentally chastised himself, glancing up at the fellow undead and then back to the countertop, though anyone who was watching him would not have seen him move a single inch.

He was here with his brother...

He was having a civil conversation with Kev for once in a long, long while...

His brother was making tea for them both...

And he came back from a nice walk and a good heart-to-heart with his brother...

There was plenty to be happy about, enough to chase away his sorrow, right? Yet if that were the case... Why did he feel so empty, so undeserving of this kindness? Another stale puff of dead air escaped his skeletal teeth and he focused on trying to push away his depressing thoughts. Like Kev had said, there was a time and a place for everything. Now was not a time to be sullen and depressed, he was a guest. He had to act the part, even if it felt like walking up a very large, very steep hill.

"Well, perhapsss... But I made you feel asss if you had to get them." He rasped, his voice still soft. Although it looked as if his brother was starting to grow tired of the ghoul's failed attempts to keep his sorrow reigned in around him. He could hear it in his voice, and what muffled thoughts he could detect hinted that Fear's patience was wearing thin.

"Apologiesss." He hissed, the ghoul's voice sounding more like a whisper. "It isss... challenging, but I will try." Perhaps it would be best if he closed himself off, kept all of his thoughts and feeling to himself instead of leaving his end of the link open to his brother to sense and suffer. It would spare him, and Kev in the process, he thought... But all the same, to keep himself closed off was the catalyst to many avoidable disasters that occurred over the course of this year. So, the ghoul turned his attention back to the tea on the table, wrapping both of his clawed hands around the edges and taking another sip. The ghoul watched as Fear came around to take a seat next to him, glancing over at the fellow undead before putting his cuppa down upon the saucer.

"You are free to help yourssselvesss, gentlemen, take whatever you'd like and enjoy, but pleassse be mindful and avoid making an obssscene messsss. You are both welcome, by the way."

Mortis gave a small nod in reply, quickly looking away as Fear opened his helm to take a sip. While Kev was able to look at Fear's face without being spooked out of his skin, Mortis on the other hand... Was not as fortunate. So he kept his gaze focused upon his cuppa, deciding to quietly and patiently wait until Kev and Fear got what they wanted from the tea tray before he took a biscuit of his own.

Otherwise, he was content to remain silent and enjoy his tea while they talked about the dogs.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:43 pm

One moment, Mortis had been chatting it up, and now... The skull headed ghoul seemed to be clamming up. Kev's head cocked to the side, as he laid both arms to rest upon the counter. Forearms folded together as he leaned forward onto the marble. Mortis certainly wasn't arguing with him, in fact he sounded as if he was agreeing with everything Kev had suggested! Yet...he sounded so...subdued. Mortis really was quite...upset. Even though Fear had brought him to the house for tea, it would be hard for the former Judge to accept that his brother really had forgiven him. If there was one thing Kev had learned for sure about the ghoul with a helm, it was that he did not bear a grudge. Or, well... He usually doesn't. Especially not with someone he cares for. "It is all you can do, but there's no shame in that. Just take it one day at a time." The skull headed corpse really had been through the ringer... All of them had, really. Taking it one day at a time was the best way to get through it. There was always another day to get to, and small improvement over time would add up.

As the ghoul went quiet again, studying the marble intently, Kev studied him in return. It was not so calculating this time, more casual as he merely watched his guest patiently. There was no pressure for Mortis to speak up if he did not want to. Once he did speak up again, Kev shook his head lightly. So soft spoken, so cautious and defeated. A hand waved in his direction dismissively, though not out of spite. "You didn't make me feel anything, Mortis. It was all me, I'm the one who felt like I ought to grab the biscuits for you." Expecting Fear to just automatically grab them still felt...strange to him. Alas, they had a differing opinion on this and pushing the issue would not fix things. He would simply have to own up to his...faux pas.

Speaking of, Fear's patience was threatening to run out, as the ghoul finally spoke up. And speak up he did! He urged Mortis to be optimistic, as the other's moroseness was understandable, yet suffocating when one had the power of empathy. His brother was not the only one who was addressed. The alien bowed his head lowly, shoulders hiking up as he avoided eye contact by staring down at the mottled counter. A fingertip circled the edges of his cup as Fear spoke. He'd been expecting a scolding and... Fear had actually been rather calm and polite. And yet... Fear might as well have been speaking an entirely different language, a deep disconnect as Kev's gaze raised back to Fear's helm. Traditions or no, it just didn't feel right, but if Fear wanted to hold onto his traditions... Who was Kev to argue? It was worth feeling uncomfortable for a few minutes. Fear was worth it. "Yes sir, I understand." His own tone was as soft as Mortis', giving Fear a small nod to cement his acceptance.

At Fear's insistence, Kev waited until he'd grabbed a biscuit before taken one for his own. Such a wee, crispy little thing, but it did taste good dunked in his tea. Kev examined the little biscuit before dipping it into his tea as if it were a sugar cube. Dab, dab, dab, and no sign of a mess as he kept the biscuit hovering above his cup. Little by little it dissolved into his drink, and the alien dipped his fingers into the tea to absorb it. A bit of extra sweetness from the biscuit was a welcome addition, not as striking as the honey. And a hint of almond, too! "Mm...~ A good batch, as always."

Angels? That sounded almost too good to be true, though Kev was by now very familiar with how Fear was with the animals. They obeyed him quite easily, either on their own or with some assistance. Before the alien could nod his approval, it seems there was one maverick in the pack. Once Fear named the pooch, Kev was hardly surprised to hear the identity of the rebel. "He might be too set in his ways by now. I've sprayed him with a water bottle, I put vinegar in it and everything!" Such a petulant pup... Sighing lightly, Kev cocked his head and faced Fear completely and without...well, fear. The former judge's fearsome stare no longer affected him, after all. "What would you suggest, Fear?" He inquired, honestly interested as he 'drew' figures eights into the surface of his tea with an index finger. Perhaps a different method of discipline could make Oscar behave...

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:54 am

Listen to these two blighters, so meek and soft-spoken as if they were children having just weathered a harsh scolding. It's not like Fear had reached over and boxed their ears clear off, so what gives? Why the tiptoeing around eggshells, gentlemen?

Ah, but the helmeted ghoul supposed it was not in his better interests, or his place, to rightfully know. At the end of the day and when everything was said and done, Fear was just grateful for his brother's safe return. And even though Mortis may not seem to be operating at 100% capacity, the rotten pain in Fear's leased buttocks was nevertheless here and willing to embark on the road to recovery. That took stones, it did. Mortis was safe, Kev wasn't gung-ho and shoving the fiend out the door, and they were all enjoying a nice, warm cup of tea. Truly, they were blessed. Fear was content to let things be, irritations or not, and he lethargically poured himself another cuppa. "More tea?" he asked the others, ready to serve them a second round. There was no use letting it grow cold!

"What would you suggest, Fear?"

...Pardon?

It took a few moments, as Fear's endurance was beginning to wane, but he eventually remembered something about... dogs? Oh right, they had been discussing about Oscar and his piss-poor mannerisms to anyone other than the alien. He lightly dunked his biscuit into the tea, once again reminded of its buttery existence, and fancied a quiet nibble. "Have you tried kicking him?" That may or may not have been a serious question. One could never know with Fear, as even sneaking a glance at his terrifying mug warranted death.

"When a dog misssbehaved on Deadworld," Fear began explaining, pausing between chews, "we either kicked it in the ribsss, or we took it out back and ssshot it. BANG!" If anyone had been too focused with their cup or the marble counter, they were most certainly distracted now. "Mhm," he nodded. Ahh... the memories were coming back to him now, like a murky, scream-filled flood. Good times! "A dog that wouldn't lissssten to itsss massster wasss a dog deemed unfit for duty. Good dogsss were sssometimesss taken to where the carcasssesss were, ssso they could get a keen grasssp on what happened to the bad onesss." Yes sir! Good, good times. The fun didn't stop there, though! Oh no, it was just beginning, and if Kev felt astonished now... Fear claimed another biscuit for himself, happily munching away in his seat. "Did you know that dog meat isssn't half bad?" he asked. "If I recall correctly, it'sss quite fatty. Yesss... fatty and amazingly tender. Oh, and of courssse gamey. Asss an assside, I had alwaysss wondered where the cooksss at Law Ssschool had gotten sssome of their foodssstuffsss... Hope you didn't enjoy the Tuesssday Sssurprissse, Mortisss, ha ha!"

Deadworld sounded like it was a charming, charming place to grow up and raise a family.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:50 pm

"It is all you can do, but there's no shame in that. Just take it one day at a time."

Mortis' neck creaked and crackled in a small nod. There was little else to say on the matter that had not already been said, and the animated corpse wanted to move away from more depressing topics. Mainly for the sake of keeping himself away from being the subject of his brother's ire again. He had to think of something happier, focus on a topic that would make aim a little more at ease... Purging was a suitable one, he thought. After all, prior to this past year, Mortis had loved nothing more than to watch a sinner dissolve into mulch. He loved hearing their last screams fading to a hoarse whisper and then, silence.

How many had died at his hands? Millions, perhaps billions, he knew. The exact number was lost to the obscurity of his memories, but it was not the number that was so pleasing... No, it was the act in itself. Men and women, young and old...

Fleshy and fluffy... Friend and foe.

Mortis' claws tensed around the edge of his teacup. Perhaps it would be best if he did not think of anything for a long, long while. What he did best unable to bring him solace, what came to him so naturally feeling on par with an atrocity. Every face he attempted to focus upon in his thoughts began to shift, each frightened, pleading visage reminding him of someone else. Someone with long ears and deep purple fur. Someone who always looked so tired. A clawed hand came to rest on his bony temples, and Mortis focused instead of clearing his mind completely. His fingertips massaged slowly upon the bleached bone, a quiet, exasperated hiss seeping through his form. What was Kev saying?

Oh, right, the biscuits.

There was no point in arguing who was at fault, and the undead decided to let it rest on the thought that the both of them were at fault. For a short while the undead was content to focus on the dark liquid in his tea cup, and attempt to remember what it actually tasted like, how warm it felt when he had still been able to genuinely enjoy it instead of instead of the mere memory.

"What would you suggest, Fear?"
    "Have you tried kicking him?"

Or he could focus on that lovely mental image. Near immediately his brother's reply sent the ghoul's mind alight with the idea of Oscar the toe-stealer being punted clear across the yard with a heave-ho and a yelp. "Hehehe..." The ghoul kept his bony jaws clamped firmly shut, but a soft rumble of laughter managed to escape him. He brought the comically small cup up to his teeth to take a long drink of his tea, partially hoping to drown out his chuckling before Kev heard it. Likely he would not appreciate his amusement at the conceptualized expense of his pampered pooch. Though as his brother went on, Mortis started to turn his attention towards the imagery that was being woven.

Deadworld, home. That was a far better topic than anything he tried to use to make himself feel a little better. "Hm, I remember that." The undead added through a mouthful of tea. The cup was quickly emptied and set down, though he was wise to keep his gaze on the kitchen wall instead of on his brother. Their home certainly was not like any other, no sir. Effectively distracted, the superfiend looked through his older memories, back when he was still completely flesh and blood and not wandering around in a borrowed people-suit. He brought a biscuit up to his mouth to nibble on, an hold house from Deadworld's twisted version of suburbia coming to mind. "I've ssseen a home that had a great pile of unfit doggiesss. I persssonally think they jussst liked ssshooting them." He shrugged a little as he recollected it, though the memory was still a little fuzzy. Was it ten he saw piled up in the yard, or twenty?

His tail uncurled a little from around the stool leg, listening as Fear went on to regale the both of them upon how dog-meat tasted. Fatty, tender, a little gamey... That did sound familiar. "Mmh, I never wass one for Law Ssschool'sss food. Too much meat." Mortis rasped with distaste, taking another bite of his biscuit. Never you mind, brother, that Mortis was not against snacking on baby birds straight out of the nest.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:56 pm