Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Dead Man Walking

Post by Fear on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:19 pm

They had indeed voted to stay on Deadworld and retire. But, alas! Death had never been one to grow bored.

"I already am damned to hear the thoughtsss of every living being, brother. Their pulsssesss beat like a drum in my head alongssside their idle ruminationssss. Would I to know what lay within their heartsss asss well asss their mindsss, I would sssuffer one hundred in order to know thossse of one I hold dear..."

Was that so? Sometimes, brother, the people you hold dear were just as disgusting and immoral as the very sinners you purged. Sometimes, brother, that love turned to hate. And sometimes, brother, promising gifts soon gave way to regret. Were you so willing to see the undeniable truth hounding all souls, especially to those whom you thought worthy of your admiration and loyalty? Fear didn't pause in his stride, though the helmeted fiend knew far more in the ways of hearts than did his ever-rotting counterpart. He simply hissed, "Be careful what you wissssh for," and left the rest better unsaid. Excellent timing, for Mortis certainly had much to divulge in the coming seconds.

To retire... To not retire... Predatory urges and, of course, a slightly warped view perverted by - what else - fear and paranoia. "Quite a conundrum you had wrapped yourssself into," Fear remarked in jest. Beneath his facetious words, however, was a stern undercurrent. "I would not sssay that you were right, brother. If you wanted to be a Judge, ssso be it. There isss nothing more greater, I feel, than being able to dissspenssse jussstice while upholding the law. It isss what we were meant for." Whether they had chosen their careers are not. "Neverthelesssss," Fear added, "if you had wanted to retire then, your decisssion would have been given the utmossst ressspect. Either way, Mortisss, what you choossse isss no bussssinesssss of mine. My main concern isss that you ought to fully realize the benefitsss and consssequencesss of the pathsss before you, and that you mussst ssstand by your decisssion once it isss made." Ahh... conviction.

"Asss for the predatory urge..." He paused yet again in their walk, thinking a few things over in that accursed helmet of his. "Well, to be fair, I rather like killing people and ssstill do," he confessed effortlessly. Fear sounded quite pleased about it, too.

"Even out there, I could sssee you ssseething upon my return ssshould I have remained a Judge, feeling betrayed after everything you had done to help me."

The fiend shook his head. "No, not becaussse you wissshed to remain a Judge," he answered quietly.

"Sssooner or later I would do sssomething that shattered Lunette'sss expectationsss, that ssshe and anyone elssse who had thought to perhapsss grow clossser, to attempt to be friendsss would recoil in horror no matter how loving, how caring the were. Once again... I wasss correct."

Once again, Fear stopped in his tracks. Once again, Fear found it necessary to keep his personal emotions and thoughts strapped down. "Mmm... Mortisss, methinksss you ssstruggle with assssuming detailsss far too quickly due to your morossse ssstate of mind," he calmly rasped. No, he wanted to argue. No, Mortis wasn't correct. What happened with Veskur and Lunette had been avoidable, but to say that Miss Kitty would recoil in horror? "Ssshe wouldn't do that," Fear muttered. If anything, Miss Kitty was a strong woman and could show Mortis out the door with a well-placed swing of her skillet. She may be hurt and she may be upset at herself, but she wasn't one to entertain disgust or horror so frivolously. It then became apparent that Fear realized exactly was his brother was severely lacking. He damned near wanted to snap his fingers in epiphany.

"For one, it makesss you a tool," he hissed, answering Mortis' question. This of course made them both a tool, though Fear wouldn't deny the label. "And sssecondly?" The ghoul looked his brother in the eye - reeeeeally looked him in those vacant sockets - and scolded, "And sssecondly, you ssshould have more faith. Faith in your brother, faith in your friendsss, and faith in yourssself. That'sss why you got into the predicament you did, Mortisss: you didn't bother quessstioning thingsss to their fullessst and inssstead relied on previousss doctrine - which are erroneousss - when you ssshould have relied on your better judgement. Isssn't that we're taught, brother? To rely on our better judgement?" Honestly... But yes, the walk was rather nice. Fear shifted his brother's gift and was mindful to avoid mixing it up with the doggie feces bag. Hey, big pooches leave big shits. "I rather like walksss," Fear admitted, nodding to himself. "It'sss nice to admire my sssurroundingsss, to enjoy my freedom, and to jussst keep moving. It getsss dreadfully ssstuffy being cooped up in the basssement, eh wot? Besssidesss, I like going about the day on my underssstanding of time. Plenty of it, ssso why not?"
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:43 pm

Perhaps in time his love and admiration would certainly turn to hate, and though it would become a curse to know what lay within the hearts of those he held dear there was a certain value to it all. To know the truth could perhaps tell one whether another was worthy of admiration and trust. Certainly his brother must have found it useful when it came to his dimension in some way? Regardless, Fear's reply was enough to silence the fellow superfiend, he knew more about the matter than Mortis. If he was certain it was a gift better left un-given, it was to be respected.

After all, the Dark Judge would be wary about gifting his own rotting touch and putrid aura to another. It had its purpose, but outside of where it was required such abilities became more of a burden than a boon. A sigh of dead, stale air puffed itself from Mortis' ribs, the memory of what exactly his so-called gift had done still heavy in his mind.

"I am sstrongly conssidering abandoning the option of walking out there altogether when I mussst think. It happensss far too often than I would like." Mortis replied, it was more than embarrassing to know that perhaps if he stayed within the city limits and discussed his thoughts and conflicts perhaps this entire situation could have been avoided. Lunette would have not been left alone, Fear would not have had to step in to carry out the responsibilities of his brother's actions. "Perhapsss it would be bessst to abandon the wildernesss completely and sstay here."

To stay in the city limits and be subject to the constant barrage of life and thought would be tiring upon his mental state, a predatory instinct could not merely be willed away overnight. However, it was a better alternative than to wander alone and fall prey to his own personal conflicts in solitude, and leave those who cared for him behind to suffer on their own in his absence. "At the time, I did not sssee it sso much asss a want, but a need. That if I were to retire there would be no one elssse to uphold our law, as the lassst remaining Dark Judge it wasss my duty to carry it out. If I did not I thought I would have been betraying the sssysstem we were made for." He explained softly, "But... It isss a goal that isss nigh imposssible to carry out alone, and Deadworld, along with what Sssidney would have wanted no longer mattersss. They are all dead, and therefore irrelevant. I wanted to retire, brother, I wanted to join you but I wasss uncertain if retirement wasss an available option for a monssster like myssself." Being an eternal upholder of their law was ingrained into his very person, and whether he had liked it or not, it tended to show no matter the situation. There was so much that the undead had found unfamiliar, and that which he was familiar with undoubtedly would alienate the ones within the community that Fear steadily grew more ingrained within.

Regardless, his decision was made. "I do not want to sssee that piece of wood again. It can ssstay out in the ssslumsss and rot." He rasped, the mention of the carved badge that no longer sat upon his chest sounding acerbic upon Mortis' tongue. He could care less what happened to it. There was a slight relief that crossed his mind when Fear mentioned that he too still held something of that same desire to kill. It was something that was deeply ingrained into them beyond adaption, as unshakable as their own personalities.

"No, not becaussse you wissshed to remain a Judge,"

Mortis' gaze focused more upon his brother, a clawed hand pulling itself from the pocket of his overcoat to scratch at the back of his neck. "I-I am aware of that now... It wasss that I wass not here to pick up after my own poor choicesss, that I wasss not there for you or Lunette when you both needed me. That I had not done asss I sssaid I would before I had left." Mortis uttered.  It was understandable, warranted even, to be angry when he had disappeared into the wilderness for over a month with little communication between himself and his brother to reassure that things would not end up like they would have back in August, that he would have kept a level head and made the right decision. Instead he had grown paranoid and afraid... again. He betrayed the trust his brother placed upon him to not do anything rash or unwise, and once again he made his brother doubt that he even knew him to begin with.

"...Ssshe wouldn't?" Mortis hissed, surprise worming its way past his subdued exterior. It was hard to believe there would be any other reaction than to despise him for being the sole reason Veskur had died, but his brother knew better than he did. His gaze tilted downward, the talons upon the back of his neck digging into its rotted flesh. "...I-I am grateful that sshe wouldn't, brother. Thank you." Yet he was confused as to why she wouldn't find him horrible knowing that it was him who was responsible for Veskur's death, that she was left alone because of his actions. He attempted to push the thought away, that it no longer mattered and that sort of thinking was what brought him to this circumstance to begin with. Fear on the other hand appeared to have come to an epiphany, with how he was now looking at Mortis with such intensity.

Yes, he was a tool, his place was within a system that he had been raised and conditioned to work effectively within. He could not deny his original purpose. Though that was not all he had to say, for the reasoning behind his stare was quickly brought to light.

"And sssecondly, you ssshould have more faith."

Faith? The sheep-skulled undead glanced down for a moment, ashamed. They had been relying upon each other for three centuries at least, and it was within two years that he had started to lose faith within his brother. The very undead he had served alongside for as long as he could remember upon leaving Law School, and trusted with his very life and unlife... He had not known the comfort of friendship for very long and in turn had not paid it much mind, but brotherhood was one that he should have understood no matter what came their way. He had known it for longer than most people have lived, and yet... Yet he found himself nearly on verge of leaving his brother to go and try to carry out a doctrine that no longer held any meaning or purpose but a few weeks ago. "Nnnngh..." Mortis shuddered and he found himself attempting -and failing- to hold back a few sobs. "Y-yesss, brother... That wass what we were taught." He hissed shakily. "I will try to have more faith."

To keep moving, to go about things at his own pace and no one else's... It sounded like an enjoyable experience to partake in. "I would not mind joining you for more of thessse walksss, if you would have me." Mortis rasped after a few moments of relative silence. A somberness still clung to him, but it was steadily lessening as they went on.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:59 am

And there was a steep price to that truth; it could be argued that Mortis had not been worthy of admiration and trust, for had not the sheep-skull Judge behaved poorly during the last year? The determiner of this very distressing revelation had been Fear's dogged empathy, and there were many a time where he struggled to keep his own emotions controlled - to keep his own thoughts from devouring the truth and banishing all necessary denial in their entirety. The ability was as every much a double-edged sword as Mortis' touch of decay. It all depended on which poison he preferred to accompany him for all eternity.

"There isss nothing wrong with enjoying a little, dare I sssay it, greenery," Fear opined. The fiends rounded a street corner and thus began the home stretch, the dogs happily a ways with their excited tails a'waggin'. The slobbery mutts knew home was now within their grasp. "Sssometimesss," he continued, "it isss nice to find reprieve from all thisss noissse - you know the kind I ssspeak of." The psychic noise that never ceased to crackle in their empty skulls.

"If I did not I thought I would have been betraying the sssysstem we were made for."

The above was enough to tickle Fear's funny bone. Or, if Sans were around, his humerus. He looked to his brother and hissed, rather cheekily, "That'sss your fear talking. Nothing bad happened to me, did it? Ssso you could have done the proper judicial thing and moved to erassse me like all the other bent Judgesss... I would have sssaid 'go right ahead', Mortisss. We both know the sssyssstem, itsss insss and itsss outsss. If you wanted to uphold our old waysss, I wouldn't have ssstopped you. Now, I would have given you a righteousss sssmiting if you went after sssomeone I liked, sssuch asss Kev or Misssss Kitty, but if you managed to remove me from the equation?" The fiend shrugged, not particularly fussed about the prospect of either being severely wounded or killed by a Judge doing their duty. "I'd be mad, certainly. But I wouldn't be mad if you were jussst doing your job. After all, we've had the sssame posssition for how many centuriesss now?" There was nothing personal if Fear himself was bumped. He believed it was long overdue, honestly.

Mortis' vitriol for his absent badge had not gone unnoticed. "Hate it that much, do you?" Fear asked. There was something... somber about its missing presence. "A ssshame. I rather liked it on you." The ghoul wasn't sold on the idea of discarding his badge to the fates that be. It was a part of him as he was it, and after all the things they had survived throughout his career, he just... couldn't imagine being oblivious to its current whereabouts. It didn't feel right...

"...Ssshe wouldn't?"

Fear quietly shook his head. "No, ssshe wouldn't," he answered. "Misssss Kitty isss a very kind woman, Mortisss. If anything, ssshe felt the mossst disssgussst for herssself - for her blind inconsssideration that ultimately led to Misssster Rabbit'sss death. You ssshare thisss blame, yesss. But, then again, you were never clossse to Vessskur like ssshe wasss, were you?" Guilt was a funny thing and Fear wasn't going to pretend that he was above feeling his sins crawl upon his back. Miss Kitty should have known better, Mortis should have known better, and he should have known better. That's all there really was to it on a basic level of sorts, wasn't there?

Sobbing echoed within his iron helmet and Fear withdrew from his thoughts. "That'sss it, brother, that'sss it," he soothed, patting Mortis on the bony shoulder. "Get it out of your sssyssstem, yeah? You'll feel a lot better if you do, trussst me. I'm a psssychic, ha ha!" A rotted elbow playfully jabbed his brother in the gut, several of Fear's eyes lazily winking.

It... wasn't a physical action he had perfected yet, even after all this time. Why do you think his ghostly stare was abhorrently wall-eyed?

"Sssure, I wouldn't mind you accompanying me on walksss!" he rasped, excited. "They're not particularly interesssting like the ssstreetsss of Deadworld, but I find them ssserene enough. We can talk about anything and everything, including my favourite passsstime of all." Talking shit was just too good to pass up, and Fear relished a little downtime to be an obnoxious and opinionated sod. It was very therapeutic, eh wot? "I walk the dogsss nearly everyday ssso long asss itsss sssunny," he said, mindfully stepping over a fire hydrant. "Usssually in the morning, but sssometimesss in the afternoon if it isss too cold. Sssunday isss their ressst day."
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:42 am

It was a steep price, and a responsibility to knowing that he was not worthy of anything after everything that had happened during the last year, and in that knowledge the undead had found it puzzling that his brother had not decided to execute him the moment he laid eyes upon the broken shell of what had once been. He would have welcomed it, and part of him lingered that still wished Fear would finish him off.

For the sake of justice.

He stepped over a few cracks in the sidewalk as they followed the corner, glancing up to see the dogs start to get excited, knowing they were getting close to home. Yes, the grasslands were nice and quiet, and the sound of wind rushing over the rolling hills and through the trees admittedly soothed some of what remained of his nerves. "It can be nice... But lately I find myssself repulssed." Mortis rumbled in response. So much went wrong out there, so many of his mistakes took place while he was wandering among that greenery, out in the silence. It was enough to make him want to stay in the city for a long, long while. He would learn to put up with the static and the constant bombardment of idle thought if it meant avoiding that again.

Where he would stay in the city was another question altogether, but he worried little about it. He could find a vacant building in the ghettos to stay in, his reputation in the Outer District was enough to send most of the local scum running. The ones that didn't were merely fair sport.

"No, nothing bad happened to you." He agreed, although at the mention of having to execute his brother... Mortis grew silent, a weight pressing against his chest as Fear went on. He could have gone ahead and destroyed him, he could have done so and Fear would not have done a thing about it. He would have welcomed it. The notion did not sit well, and the idea of hunting down his brother when no real crime had been committed brought forth a sickness that he had thought long forgotten, and came to sit stubbornly in the cavity where his gut would have rested. A low hiss crawled from between his teeth, and Mortis shook his head after a long, uncomfortable pause. "I...I couldn't, brother. I would not be able to sssummon the will to carry it out." He uttered, the words falling from him like bricks. Perhaps it was what remained of their bond, or maybe it was cowardice, but the undead refused to raise his claws against Fear and think to erase him from existence.

Fear may have thought it long overdue, but if he was gone, where would that leave Mortis? The one brother he had on this dimension would have been dispersed upon the wind as dust, and he would be damned to wander alone and uphold a doctrine for someone who may not even exist anymore, or care if he did. He didn't want to suffer an eternity on this maddening world alone, and he did not wish to execute his brother for finding something that brought him happiness. "We've had the sssame possition for three centuriess, at leassst, but I would rather spend at leasst that many with you regardlesss of the possitionsss we hold." It was far better in the long run to reverse their priorities and place their brotherhood before the law.

"Hate it that much, do you? A ssshame. I rather liked it on you."

The ghoul sighed, the hand on the back of his neck sliding over to knead two fingers upon the bridge of his snout. "It dissgussstss me what I did for the ssake of it. That I grew ssso conflicted over whether I ssshould be loyal to a piece of wood or you, my brother." Mortis hissed, a little too briskly. He glanced over at his brother, a tinge of regret crossing his mind at the realization. "Apologiesss... If it- it meanss that much to you, perhapsss I could retrieve it sso you can have it. I sstill have your badge, after all." He offered softly. Should Fear want his badge back, it still sat securely within one of the pouches of his belt, just as polished and clean as the day it was given to him. He could not bring himself to discard something that was entrusted to him by his brother, and he certainly would not let one of his possessions become dirtied or neglected.

The hand upon his hand left his snout to rest in the pocket of his overcoat. She felt disgust for herself, that she was inconsiderate, and while Mortis shared the blame, he could not help but think it that he should be the one shouldering all of it. It was his aura that killed Veskur, it was his inability to keep Lunette away until he found a safer way to be around her that lead to this end, and it was his fear and paranoia that kept him out in the wilderness while she mourned his death. "I-I wass not, but I know he meant sssomething to her, and that he liked her. I would like to think I knew a sssimilar feeling and undersstand but... If that wasss truly the casse, we would not be here, talking, Vessskur would not have died, and you would not have had to ressst for five daysss becaussse of my poor judgement." He uttered soberly, that familiar sinking sensation resting in his chest. "I am jussst a tool even when I wisssh not to be."

His host jostled as Fear have him a few pats upon his shoulder, soothing as Mortis' form continued to wibble and wheeze. "Y-yeah..." He rasped, glancing down as Fear elbowed him in the gut. Given that the majority of his was hollow however, it was much like elbowing a leathery, empty bag.There was nothing to take the motion but air and rotted leather. That aside, the ghoul perked up a little when his brother gave permission to allow him to come along on his walks. "Thank you, brother. Talking with you hasss been very helpful." He hissed, taking a mental note of the undead's schedule. In the past he spoke with Fear regarding his troubles, and it worked far better than letting them stew within his skull. Like his brother he too was mindful of the hydrant, stepping around it and keeping pace with Fear. As well, he was aware that their walk may be ending soon...

"How long until you return home?" He hissed after a moment, taking a glance around. If the dogs were excited, perhaps one of these homes up ahead could be his... Admittedly he had not paid attention to the address or where he was the last time he had visited. Whoops.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:21 am

"It'sss a big world, brother. I am certain there are more biomesss than jussst meadowsss and foressstsss." Why not journey to a nice lifeless wasteland, hmm? Quite boring, in Fear's opinion, but it spared the trouble of having to cope with all that life. The vultures were a right pain, though...

"I...I couldn't, brother. I would not be able to sssummon the will to carry it out."

Now it was the perfect opportunity to snap his skeletal fingers, and give them a crisp snap Fear did. "Bingo!" he exclaimed. "You don't want to purge me and you'd rather commit sssin than go about exisssting alone. I'd sssay that'sss plenty reassson to retire, Mortisss. No need to go about upholding Death'sss viewsss when they've had their honessst run. After all, we're thinking men, aren't we? Death isssn't here, killing mortalsss doesssn't quite ssseem to work, and we'd both rather pursssue sssome hearty meaning asss we aimlessssly putter toward oblivion. Plenty reassson to retire, asss I've sssaid." To Fear, the decision to set aside the badge and go 'exploring' had been a rather easy choice to make. Granted, he could have been a little more... graceful with its execution, but everything otherwise worked out well enough, bumps or not! Hearing that his brother did indeed value Fear's existence over their sadistic ways certainly brought a wellspring of joy to the fiend's heart; wherever he had left the darn thing...

"No need for the long face, Mortisss~!" he remarked, chipper. "If you deem your badge unfit to keep, that isss your decisssion. I'd like mine back, though. Sssee, I've a rather tidy box that isss calling itsss name. It'd be nice to have my uniform intact sssomewhere, even if it isss a basssement clossset." For the memories, you know?

"I am jussst a tool even when I wisssh not to be."

Oi vey!

Fear resisted the urge to slap his helmet, though it was mighty tempting. Not wanting to be rude, the fiend hissed, "No offenssse to you, Mortisss, but you won't be getting far with sssuch a pessssimissstic attitude. Think of it thisss way: Missss Kitty isss alive, Missster Rabbit isss alive, and we're both moving forward after a year of hardssship. We ssstill have each other, no? You alssso have to admit, brother - we've gone quite a long while without getting caught or contained. I think that'sss sssomething to feel very good about!" It was slightly ironic that Fear was the one listing off things to be grateful for, considering his... well, less-than-stellar track record of happiness and rainbows. Still! For Mortis, he'll write a damn psychiatric book about seeing the positives in life (and undeath) if he had to. "It'sss all a ssstate of mind," he said. "I know thingsss are rough now, but like I tell Kev when he getsss into a funk: tomorrow isss another day, filled with new opportunitiesss and troublesss. What bothersss you today will not lassst forever, you sssee? Impermanence, brother, impermanence. You will run yourssself ragged if you fixate on one day out of billionsss." Sounded pretty uplifting, right? So get uplifting already, brother!

"And you are welcome, Mortisss. It'sss not in my nature to turn down a brother, ugly or not." That was a joke, so don't go lamenting about your bony snout! Fear snickered to himself and his (debatable) cleverness. "Oh, it ssshouldn't be much further now," he supposed. As powerful as the helmeted fiend was, his sense of vision and depth perception were strikingly horrid. Every house looked the same to him. "The dogsss are getting ressstlessss, ssso it mussst be on thisss ssstreet. Sssay..." An idea struck the ghoul, and it was probably one that would see a pinch of concern from another party.

A rigid arm found itself slapping against Mortis' abdomen, Fear addressing the shambling cadaver and the morose spirit calling it home. "Why don't you ssstay for a while? Yesss! Why don't you ssstay with usss? You know, until you feel a little better and back on your feet?" Far better than moping around the Outer District, right?

Up ahead, one of the dogs barked, Metus, and at once the rest followed suit. Even Oscar, bless him.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:31 am

Certainly, there were more biomes to choose from. "I sssuppossse, but for now, the wildernesss in general isss not to my tasstesss. The sssolitude getsss to me, I believe." If he had a companion to share it with, perhaps it would not be so intimidating to go out again. Someone, or something to stave off those intrusive musings. But that was not a feasible thing to desire, not when merely being around another threatened to damn them to madness if they were unaccustomed to his presence. At least, if they were living... But all the same the undead of this place were none too keen on his presence either if memory served correctly. "I will need to think on it." Mortis rasped, content to remain silent as he kept his pace with Fear.

There was a snap of his brother's fingers and the sheep-skulled superfiend turned his gaze to Fear. "Yess, plenty of reassson... The moment I sstarted to enjoy Lunette'sss pressence the way I did wass evidence enough for me to turn in my badge." Mortis pondered for a moment then had a small "Bingo!" of his own, "You know, Death never ordered usss to purge thisss world to begin with, we are marooned here with complete free reign regardlesss of hisss authority. We are completely free to do whatever we wisssh with or without our possitionsss asss Judgesss." It was like spending a few months off in the Cursed Earth, enjoying the simpler things in unlife. Only they had an eternity to do as they pleased with no one to tell them otherwise.

Well, maybe the ISO's did, but they could bugger off for all he cared.

"If you have a place on your perssson, I can return it to you now. I kept it nice and tidy for you." He replied, managing to snicker a little at Fear's pun. It was nice to hear him joke with him again, even if his idea of wit was poking fun at his bony snout. That was the Sister's fault, deciding that a sheep's head would look good on him. Admittedly he was a little surprised that Fear was keeping his uniform at all, given how bitter he was about serving under their Chief. "You're keeping a box, eh? Sssentimental value, I sssupposse?" He rasped, genuinely curious. Perhaps he could do the same, there needed to be someplace to stick the rest of his garb of office. Save for his leathers and belt, of course. Those still were useful and he had yet to exhaust all the equipment he swiped from the Judge he possessed.

One day, he'll fix that field explosive and put it to good use.

"No offenssse to you, Mortisss, but you won't be getting far with sssuch a pessssimissstic attitude."

His head hung once again, listening to his brother attempt to cheer him up. In a way it reminded him of another who had attempted to do the same, but in less of an effective way. Probably because the other was not his brother.  "I ssuppossse, thingss are not ssso bad when you put them that way. Ssso much hasss happened thiss passt year that I have found it hard to look passst it lately. If I am not placing myssself in another perssonal crississs, I wass pulling your faith me out from under you, or worssse." Mortis rasped, not as sober as before, but it still stubbornly clung to him like a parasite. It would take a little longer than a walk and more that a few uplifting words to raise him completely from his sadness.

A clawed hand raised to rub over the length of his snout, "The ssissterss certainly did a number on usss, didn't they? Fire had it the worsst I think." He replied, a small snicker of his own mingling with Fear's. Fire couldn't enjoy a damn thing without burning it. The only thing the ghoul figured he could rightfully get some pleasure out of aside from his work was anything flame or fire related... Which was rather limited. Take your pick of bonfires or cookouts and that was about it. Nothing that gave much in the way of an opportunity to grow close to anyone...

Huh, it made sense, the more he thought about it.

"Why don't you ssstay for a while? Yesss! Why don't you ssstay with usss? You know, until you feel a little better and back on your feet?"

His skull whipped around so fast one could hear his vertebrae snap and rotted flesh pop. "Ss-sstay? With you and Kev?" He sputtered, uncertain. "It iss a very generouss offer, Fear, but are you certain that I would belong, or that your housssehold would be welcome with my pressence?" The undead did not believe himself worthy of such hospitality, and there were far more places that he could stay instead of stinking up his brother's home. "I-if it would be too much trouble to sstay with you and Kev, I can alwaysss find a temporary resssidence in the ghettosss and come here to join you on your walksss. It would be no trouble." He added, still struggling to comprehend this sudden, great generosity.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:05 am

The solitude... Well, Fear wasn't going to argue, for that was a very sound reason to avoid the wilderness. It could be rather lonely out there... Which was why Fear thought for a moment and hissed, "Ssshould you ever want company while going out for a ssstroll, you're more than welcome to asssk if I can come with. Maybe we could even find sssome sssinnersss to purge? That would certainly be fitting sssport." Ahh, to kill again like old times... It made the fiend almost ache for a good session.

"You know, Death never ordered usss to purge thisss world to begin with, we are marooned here with complete free reign regardlesss of hisss authority. We are completely free to do whatever we wisssh with or without our possitionsss asss Judgesss."

That was a very good point, and one Fear hadn't necessarily explored.

"Hmm... I had never really thought of it that way," he confessed, a pensive finger brought to the grinning visor of his helmet. "Prior to all thisss messsss, we had alwaysss operated asss if we were together, dimensssional gapsss or not. I wonder why thisss inssstance isss different?" Perhaps it was because Portal Breach just seemed... different, and this applied in a good way and a bad way. It was 'good' because now they could have their wants and needs satisfied without any overbearing agenda, and it was 'bad' because... well, neither Mortis nor Fear were particularly seasoned leader figures. Mistakes had been made and, at the end of the day, they were nothing more than clueless lieutenants. Eh... Fear's expression soured at the thought of his limiting rank. "Oh, did you?" he asked, coming to. The ghoul didn't doubt for a second that his brother had kept very good watch over his badge. "Well, if you'd like, I can take it now or you can give it to me at the houssse. Either way worksss for me. And yesss, I keep a box; for sssentimental reasssonsss and jussst to have thingsss accesssible when needed."

Alas, there went Mortis, hanging his head yet again. "I find that faith cannot entirely be extinguissshed," Fear reasoned. "Sssomehow and sssomeway, it alwaysss findsss a way to return from the deepessst, darkessst reachesss of hopelesssssnesssss. The sssame isss alssso true for dessspair, though faith isss far easssier on the mind to nurture." And it was true that Fire easily had the worst luck of the lot. All that power and yet he still couldn't tread about where he pleased without caution. Fear was grateful for the umpteenth time that it was only his reflection he had to stay vigilant for.

And, you know, anything with a lid on it.

But it was good to hear his brother chuckling again, even if sparingly! That meant progress wasn't impossible - gradual, but not impossible. Staying at the house might be just the ticket Mortis needed in order to see a swifter recovery. "Of courssse with Kev and myssself, who elssse?" scoffed the fiend. And it was a generous offer, but there wasn't any way Fear was going to let his brother bum around in some deplorable ghetto. Absurd! He scoffed loudly again, this time snorting. "Okay, ssso it'sss not my houssse," Fear confessed. "But I do take resssidence there, and I helped pitch in. Even if Kev had a tiff with you ssstaying, I don't think he'd actually reject the notion. That would be bloody rude of him, and then I'd be the one with a tiff." Having said that, however... "...I'd better asssk him," Fear wisely muttered. He kicked a few stray pebbles with the instep of a leathery foot, unhappy that there was doubt plaguing the situation. Kev wouldn't really tell his brother to get lost, would he? No, that couldn't be the alien's style. He would let Mortis stay, Fear told himself, differences or not. It was the proper thing to do, after all.

He looked up from his musing to see the dogs step onto the lawn five houses down. "Ah, there it isss," the fiend pointed. "That'sss the houssse. Not a bad pick, huh? It'sss much more ssspaciousss than the missserable ssspreadsss back home."

Wonder if the alien was currently in his jimjams or if he had already headed off to work?
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:58 am

He had not expected Fear to offer to go with him, but the idea made him feel a little better just hearing it. "You do not have to, brother, but I certainly appreciate the offer. It would be nice to go out and purge ssside by ssside again, and to enjoy the sscenery along the way." He hissed thoughtfully. Although his aura would make short work of any lush vegetation they came across.

The undead nodded, it was something he admittedly had never considered until recently himself. The only reason they had stayed in the Mega City for as long as they did was because Death kept ordering to stay and help him purge. That and the ghoul was their brother, but their leader's authority tended to overrule any advice they gave him. Never a fan of a tactical retreat, that Sidney... "I believe thiss world has placed many new experiencess before usss that we have never encountered before. Consssider it, when did anyone in the Mega City wisssh to be genuine friendss with usss, insstead of trying to get a tasste of our power and favor? There hass been nothing like thisss place prior to our arrival. We naturally sssaw thingss differently, and that sshaped how we adapted... Or refussed to adapt." The undead reasoned, letting the topic take him away from the deeper depths of his sullenness. He may have been doomed to be a lieutenant, as did Fear, but perhaps it was not so bad. They were leaders over themselves instead of being lead by another for once in this world. Not to mention, it was hard to lead when there was no one who wanted to follow either one of them, including each other... But those were likely only the icing on the cake of why they had drifted so far apart upon coming to this world.

There was likely some deeper meaning that he was missing, but for now he decided it was best to not ruminate on it.

"I can give it to you now." Mortis rasped, pushing the edge of his overcoat aside and letting his talons deftly find and open the pouch that contained it. He held the polished piece of metal up to his brother as he retrieved it, the metal glinting brightly in the morning sun. It seemed even his aura was mindful to leave Fear's badge be, as it was just as immaculate as it was the day it was handed to him. "When needed? I am uncertain when we would need to take up our mantles again, brother." He hissed, "This world cannot be purged, and our brothersss will likely never find uss here." A thought that grew more comforting as their walk went on, he found.

As for Fear's diatribe on faith... "I cannot argue, for if that wasss not the casse, you would not be sspeaking to me, and I would be contained or dessstroyed by your hand." he replied, his tail flicking beneath his coat to either side in time with his steps. As they had gone on, the skeletal appendage had uncurled from around Mortis' thigh.

"Of courssse with Kev and myssself, who elssse?"

Mortis found hismelf taken back by Fear's scoff, knowing fully well that if he were to stay it would mean with Kev and Fear but the notion he would have been welcomed back so readily took time to process. "I thought-- I have done many thingsss that do not ssseem to warrant allowing me to sstay over with you both isss all." He rasped, listening as Fear went on. So the house was not his, but he took residence in it... Oh, well that certainly complicated matters. he knew his brother was open to allowing him to stay, but as for Kev, he did not know the scaly green alien all that well. Not as much as his brother did, anyway. "Yesss... It would be besst." Thus, the ghoul started pondering a few buildings he had passed on the way out of the ghettos, some of them looked rather cozy... If you kicked out the drug addicts and did something about the stains.

So many stains...

Fear looked up, and Mortis turned his sights to the house Fear had indicated. Oddly enough, it looked much better in the sun than when he had stalked up to the door back in January. Who would have thought. "It looksss comfortable." The superfiend commented, "Kev did a nice job picking it."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:41 am

Fear needn't offer, no. But was it not the brotherly thing to do? "It would be posssitively wonderful," he agreed. The screams, the bloodshed, the unbridled use of their nefarious powers... Just like old times, and already Fear was getting anxious thinking about it. Patience, patience... There were far more important things on his agenda!

"I believe thiss world has placed many new experiencess before usss that we have never encountered before. Consssider it, when did anyone in the Mega City wisssh to be genuine friendss with usss, insstead of trying to get a tasste of our power and favor? There hass been nothing like thisss place prior to our arrival. We naturally sssaw thingss differently, and that sshaped how we adapted... Or refussed to adapt."

Sounded all fairly familiar, didn't it?

A braggart Fear was not. He decided to simply nod while expressing his shared sentiments. "A ssstrange world with even ssstranger people," the fiend reasoned. "If it were not for Portal Breach'sss peculiar way of handling death and the deceasssed, I daresssay we would have lapsssed into our old habitsss and misssssed all thesssse opportunitiesss." To grow stronger, to suffer, to grow. There was a hidden blessing in all of their misfortune. At least, Fear seemed to think so. His attention turned to Mortis and the silvery lump of metal produced from the foul confines of his brother's overcoat. There was no mistaking those polished letters in all the world...

His badge...

His badge, and Fear accepted the now-useless trinket with reverence. In another time and place, the fiend would have wanted a moment of silence alone to mourn what had been lost. Today, however, he merely stared down at the hefty paperweight and quietly sighed, holding his badge close to his emaciated chest. Fear was, at long last, complete. "Thank you for keeping it sssafe. I... gave it to you in hopesss that you would do the judicial thing and purge me, but now I sssee that sssuch a requessst had been ssselfisssh. It isss better sssuited to join the ressst of my uniform and ssstay a memory." Much like his past, though Fear was loathe to shelve everything. And it was true what his brother said - about their brothers highly unlikely to arrive and the world being impervious to lasting death. Bony fingers rotated his badge thoughtfully, Fear mulling things over. "Well..." he began, words deliberate, "sssuppossse we are needed to fight? You know, to righteousssly sssmack an ancient evil or sssomething cliche like that? Wouldn't you want to do that while looking your bessst?"

"I thought-- I have done many thingsss that do not ssseem to warrant allowing me to sstay over with you both isss all."

Upon hearing the above, Fear closed a handful of his eyes and squinted at his brother. "You are my brother, Mortisss. And while the passssing year had been lessss-than-ideal, it would be unbecoming of me to deny you asssissstance. Thisss world isss sssmall, and you and I are all we have." Of Deadworld... Of their past lives... Of shared memories... Fear wanted to discard none of that, not if he could help it.

"Besssidesss," he shrugged, "I know you would do the sssame for me."

Anyway, they were here. As Mortis could see, 225 Broadband Boulevard was a quaint little home; it was a spacious house and with generous windows, rather cheery in decor and colour. His brother may not be appreciative of all the greenery (Kev was a fan of flora), but it was an otherwise stable environment. Mortis was bound to enjoy his stay. No sooner had Fear stepped onto the lawn and cut across it, Oscar immediately began to whine and beg a storm. "Alright, alright..." he grumbled, hoisting the shivering pooch from his leathery prison. "You're free to go, but you better not make a menace of yourssself from here on out, got that?" Oscar smartly didn't object, thereby earning him complete freedom. He was carefully set upon the lawn and released, allowed to join the others who were pawing and barking at the door.

"Oi, ssstop that," Fear silenced them. He looked to his brother and shrugged apologetically, "Dogsss." Never a dull moment, those drooling mutts. Hardened knuckles wrapped against the door loudly as Fear knocked. "Kev, mate! Do you mind opening up the door for usss? We have a guessst."

Should have taken that spare key when he had the chance...
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 am

Indeed, the alien was still in his jimjams. A layer of dark grey thermals underneath a baggy, light gray shirt and dark purple pajama pants with a black pawprint pattern. On his feet, he wore fuzzy purple socks and dark brown slippers. Kev was seated at the bar of the kitchen. In one hand, the newspaper. His other hand was busy with a glass of orange juice, fingers in the drink to absorb it. One leg kicked idly from his chair as his eyes grazed over the comics section. Work didn't start for another couple of hours, and Fear was out on his usual walk with the dogs. A good read of the paper and some orange juice to start his day, before he got ready for work and did any chores around the house. For now, the alien just relaxed. As much as he loved the cottage, he really did enjoy how open the kitchen felt. How warm it was inside, thanks to the heater, and how he could sit at the counter here! It was useful, especially when he was just drinking and reading. No need to use the dining room for that, right? The alien sighed contently, enjoying the stillness and the quiet. His house...their house.

So enraptured with the silence was he, that when the silence was broken it startled him. Dogs were pawing and barking at the door, and the noise made him jolt in his seat. He released the newspaper and let it lay on the counter, a hand over his chest as he stared at the door. Ah, Fear was back! Just as suddenly as the ruckus had started, it stopped. Probably due to Fear's psychic powers.

"Kev, mate! Do you mind opening up the door for usss? We have a guessst."

The corpse called out, and Kev was already climbing out of his chair when he took note of the last thing Fear had said. A guest...? This early? Head cocked to the side, his slippers clattered onto the tiles of the kitchen lightly, and the alien began to pad his way down the hallway. The floor changed, from tile to plush carpet. Flipping the lock, Kev stood off to the side as he opened the door, allowing the pack of animals to come barreling in first! As soon as every little canine had carried their little butts in, Kev kept the door open but peeked around the side of it to watch as Fear and his guest began to come inside. The scaly alien nodded his head to Fear, about to ask how the walk was when he took in details about their 'guest'. Leather outfit. Skull head. Elongated snout of a sheep. Empty, glowing eye sockets. His eyes widened, glancing between the two of them in a puzzled manner. "Mortis? He's our guest?" Kev asked, as if wanting confirmation that his eyes weren't tricking him. He didn't even realize Fear and Mortis were on speaking terms, let alone having him over for tea!

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Oh boy, oh boy. Here it came, the moment of truth!

No sooner had a pair of big-eyed peepers appeared from behind the door did those rowdy pooches go barreling inside. "Metusss, Biddy, Ossscar, Percy - remember your mannersss!" Fear called out as he chastised the slobbering lot. His otherworldly voice boomed over the cacophony of nails striking against wood flooring and a chaotic din of excited barks. All the fiend could do was shrug at the alien. "Sssorry... They sssaw a sssquirrel on the way and bickered about rocksss again. Methinksss I will have to ssstart taking them out for longer walkiesss." Ah, but where were Fear's manners? They had a guest to see after - and one Kev might express his candid surprise.

"Mortis? He's our guest?"

And there it was, like clockwork. Fear stepped inside and gestured to his fellow sheep-skulled superfiend. "Mortisss caught me in the midssst of our walk and we had a lovely chat," he hissed, laying the foundation for a request. Not this instant, of course (the ghoul had developed more tact than that), but... soon. He took another wide stride to the left so his brother could rightfully come in. Fear noticed your confusion quite well, Kev, don't worry. "I'll, ah... fill you in on the detailsss later, Kev. Right now, however, I do believe it isss time for a ssspot of tea. What would you gentlemen like to have on thisss fine wintry morning?"
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:35 pm

"If it were not for Portal Breach'sss peculiar way of handling death and the deceasssed, I daresssay we would have lapsssed into our old habitsss and misssssed all thesssse opportunitiesss."

Mortis nodded in agreement, likely they would have kept attempting to purge this world if the Gamma's unusual characteristics had not been so discouraging. Of course, perhaps Death would have seen it another way, but as for Mortis and Fear, they knew a good time to quit when they saw it. Although that did not mean it was an action they particularly wanted to make, if his brother's reaction to retrieving his badge was any indication. "It wass no trouble," The superfiend replied, though Fear may have wanted to be purged for the transgressions against their laws and code, it was thankfully never carried out. Mortis, while he had his troubles deciding his place in this world, could never bring himself to destroy his only brother. Though the notion that Fear had given it to him for the sole purpose of wanting to try and encourage him to destroy the last remaining superfiend of their quartet certainly was not something he found pleasing, anger failed to make itself a home in the undead's mind. He gingerly reached a clawed hand over and patted him upon the shoulder, "It isss unfortunate to know you wisshed ssuch a thing, brother, but I undersstand." he softly rumbled.

When all they knew was their occupation, there was little else beyond that for them to understand. Including what they felt they deserved as punishment. As for what they could possibly use their old uniforms for... Mortis pondered over Fear's offer, a talong resting itself upon the edge of his snout. "I ssuppossse I would want to, ssshould the ssituation warrant it. For you, I would replace my garb of office to purge alongsside you again." The fiend mused, though he was more fond of the idea of letting his uniform sit in storage and never look upon his mantle again for the moment. For his brother, however, he would bring that rotted mantle out of its resting place and wear it for one more round of cracking skulls and purging the iniquitous, just like old times. Before Sidney had dragged them along to that circus-city known as Mega-City One.

The undead looked to his brother, as he explained that it would be unbecoming to turn Mortis away, for he was all he had of their old world, and this one was rather small. "T-thank you, brother." he rasped through a small sob, not of sorrow this time, but from a mixture of feelings. Relief, elation, gratefulness, and reassurance washed through him, not because he did not know that Fear felt that way, but because he still was so willing to help him despite the past year. Of course, Mortis would do the same for his brother should he come to him for help, and he would work to be the first who would come to help him should anything happen. They neared the house, and the undead quickly was reminded that his brother was not the one who would be deciding his fate this time.

This was Kev's house, and therein whatever happened would be by his rules. Which meant that he could be tossed out by the seat of his leathers if he disagreed with his Fear's sentiments. Even so, the house did look very cozy and nice. He followed Fear to the door and was mindful not to rot any of the plants as he walked, coming to standing a little further back as he knocked on the door. Before long, Kev came to answer, and just as quickly as he saw his brother... He saw him as well. His already big eyes grew even bigger, and he looked between the both of them in a way that the ghoul could only figure to be puzzled. His towering posture hunched some and he gave a rigid, awkward wave from where he stood on the walkway. "Greetingsss." He hissed sheepishly.

"Mortis? He's our guest?"

Mortis cringed a little at the statement, watching as Fear stepped into the house and explained himself. The sheep-skulled superfiend on the other hand opted to stay outside until he knew he was welcome. Kev had not said he could not come inside, but he did not tell him to come in either. "M-may I come in?" He asked, the request coming out a little quieter than intended. Though it appeared Fear was already thinking that he was allowed in the house, for he was already asking what sort of tea they wanted this morning.

"..." He glanced around, both hands fidgeting in his pockets as he puzzled out the situation, admittedly a little anxious. Although, he supposed he could have his tea outside if he wasn't welcome in, and he had not had a nice hot cuppa since he had left for the grasslands back in December. "I would not mind black tea, if it would not be too much trouble." He finally uttered after some thought.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:39 pm

As the dogs ran in like a stampeding herd, Fear was quick the chide them, reminding them of their manners. The corpse soon after explained what had taken him a while on this little trip, and the culprits were, naturally the dogs. Running after squirrels was normal for every dog, but the rocks? Kev sighed, rolling his eyes in exasperation. "These dogs... I don't get why Percy loves rocks so much." He really was a sweet dog, but such an unintentional instigator for these...weird doggy debates on rocks! "A longer walk might work! Avoiding rocks is a little impossible..."

Fear stepped inside first, gesturing to Mortis with a grand, sweeping gesture. "Oh..." It had been about two and a half weeks sine the last time these two had spoken and uh... It hadn't gone well. Their talk this morning had to have been groundbreaking in order for Fear to invite him back in with open arms. Fear made room for Mortis to step inside, though curiously the other did not quite enter yet. Instead, the lanky corpse seemed rather sheepish, and even asked permission to enter! Kev blinked at him several times, obviously surprised before inclining his head and making a gesture of his own towards the house. "Of course, come right in." To see Mortis like this was...strange. So timid, so scared. What had happened...?

The alien's head swiveled back to Fear and gave him a nod. "Alright, Fear." They were going to be some interesting details, that was for sure. Perhaps Fear could tell him before he left for work? If not, there was always lunch. As soon as Mortis entered the domain, Kev shut the door behind them and locked it securely. The alien turned back to them and found no objections to Mortis' tea selection. "Black tea sounds good." There were many questions buzzing around in his skull, wondering what had gone down. Were the two of them brothers again? How long would this peace stay this time? And had Mortis apologized? Aside from briefly eyeing the Judge, Kev wisely kept his questions to himself and returned to the kitchen to reclaim his seat at the bar. "The morning paper is ready for you to read, Fear." He pushed the mound of paper forward along the counter.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:51 pm

"It isss unfortunate, yesss. But isss it not sssomething expected of a disssgraced Judge to asssk?" Their system's laws had been absolute: sinners were to be purged and Judges that went against the established regime were nothing more than traitorous liabilities. To Fear, it was nothing personal. How could it be, when he himself had purged countless Judges for insubordination, fabricated or otherwise? The request was... cruel to ask of his brother, naturally. But was his brother not a Judge who knew the laws as well as he did? Had not Mortis purged just as many Judges for the exact same thing? Therefore, there shouldn't be any preferential treatment.

Of course, if either of the superfiends had been as resolute as their laws and just as stubborn with them... Well, suffice to say, none of what happened last year would have happened and it was likely that both would have resumed their old ways, traveling and purging as they saw fit. No deviance, no exploring themselves, no growth.

It was admittedly an odd thing to think about, what could have been.

Fear set the thought aside for now, instead looking to his brother. "You are welcome," he rasped. "I may be a sssinner and a hypocrite, but I am no Judasss. To fight by your ssside and reap the rewardsss of death, ahh... It would be a pleasssure." But it would also be a pleasure to enjoy some fresh tea, as well! Kev and Mortis were... er, essentially hitting it off on the right foot. Both were a smidgen awkward within their elements, but so far so good! Fear was going to take what he could get.

"Black tea it isss!" he exclaimed, heading for the backyard; this doggie bag absolutely had to go into the trash! And good, black tea was a perfect choice. It was perfect because neither Mortis nor Kev disliked black tea, and it was perfect because it was simply the best! The towering ghoul carefully stepped over a few of the pooches on his return to the kitchen and went about fetching the pot and kettle. "Oh, today'sss paper?" he inquired, too busy to look over a broad shoulder. "Jussst ssset it near my usssual ssseat, thank you. And if you'd like, brother, you may read it before me. I fancy the obituariesss the mossst, ha ha." Some things just couldn't be helped. Much like all the questions flitting about in Kev's skull, but... Fear was certain there was a time and place for them soon, rest assured. Maybe even in the next few seconds, in fact! Would the alien break the ice or would he remain quiet, allowing a gripping awkwardness to settle?

The ghoul was just nervous thinking about it...
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Agreed, a disgraced Judge, if they were honorable, would ask to be punished for their transgressions against the badge. It worked well in a large scale system, but when the only remaining people of that system were a handful, and that handful was all that one had of their world... There were some codes and regulations that the sheep-skulled superfiend believed were too harsh, despite the good they did. It had been something he had pondered a little earlier on, but as the years went by and he had stayed trapped upon this dimension, it grew heavier in his thoughts.

Thus he decided to focus on happier subjects, purging alongside his brother for one. The thought of fighting alongside Fear instead of them butting heads because of his own vices sounded so much sweeter. "Yesss, a pleasssure." He agreed. As for hitting things off with Kev... The ghoul was merely grateful that Kev did not outright decline his brother's request to let him inside and instead kick him to the curb. The superfiend nodded back in turn, ancient bone and flesh softly crackling and popping with the action.

"Of course, come right in."

"Thank you." He hissed softly, making his way up to the door and carefully ducking down through the frame as he stepped inside. It certainly was a very nice place, even his dark, rotted self could appreciate the relaxing atmosphere that the interior gave off. His skull swiveled upon his neck to watch Kev shut the door behind him, and then he looked to the rest of the main area of the house. His brother went o tend to the doggie bag he had, and the sheep-skulled undead reigned to simply... stand awkwardly. Certainly he could have a seat since they would be serving tea soon, but he also was still very much aware of his maggot-riddled host. Not to mention standing around was a centuries old habit that was hard to break, especially when he was not all that certain where to sit. The kitchen counter had a few seats to choose from, he decided, considering a far seat to allow the couple to sit together. He was mindful not to leave any wriggling additional guests on the carpet as he approached the kitchen as well at Fear's statement regarding the paper. He looked down at the small mound on the counter, pondering it for a short moment, it was a kind gesture, but the undead could not bring himself to find distraction from current events. Though he was not linked to Kev as closely as Fear, he could tell that something was going on within the alien's mind. It would be best to keep his attention on the both of them while he was here, lest he appear rude.

"Thank you, brother... But I think tea sshould be enough for now." He rasped, taking his attention off the morning paper. Mortis came to stand at the counter while he waited for the tea to be ready, his snout pointed down at the counter, but one of his empty sockets rested upon Kev thoughtfully.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:52 pm