Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

An Unwanted Visitor Comes Knocking

Post by Mortis on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Time: Night
    Date: January 22, 0006

The journey to the city had been swift, the Dark Judge’s steed carrying him far faster than any other beast or vehicle would have. They traveled upon mist and beyond, unfettered by rough terrain or worldly obstacles. However, once they grew close to the edges of the outer district, their supernatural ride ended. Hooves clacked and clattered upon the ghetto’s paved road and Judge Mortis dismounted his undead steed, his palm gave a gentle pat to the animal’s neck before he dismissed Samhain back to her ethereal pastures. She disappeared with the mists she brought with her, and the Dark Judge turned and made his way into the city.

Destroyed buildings and tattered remnants of what passed for morality within the dingy ghettos gradually stopped to gave way to polished, well maintained skyscrapers and a teeming populace that resided within the ISO’s jurisdiction. He shambled his way through the busy streets, its traffic hardly seeming to ebb no matter what hour it was. Armored shoulders shunted the unwary aside, and the Dark Judge gave a cold, predatory glance at the citizens -no, sinners- that wandered by. However, his shambling gait took a peculiar turn towards the business district despite the haste he had taken in arriving.

A liquor shop had been his one and only stop, the Dark Judge returning from its confines with a heavy paper bag grasped firmly in his talons and a few credits less than when he walked in. Although he longed to leave the store with something else before his departure. The clerk, as helpful as he was, carried a reek of sin that desperately needed to be purified from him; mind, body, and soul. Another time, he told himself as he traveled onward. A time when the sinner’s of this place were more available for culling.

Despite the idle temptation that was the clerk, he believed his detour was a necessary one.

The Dark Judge navigated the city streets as if lead by a beacon, shunting aside any citizen that blocked his path with a push of an armored shoulder and a curt hiss. By the time he made his way to the suburbs, the world was beginning to embrace the cold dark of winter’s night. For a short moment the undead lawman thought to look up at the night sky while he shambled through the residential streets, just as it was out in the wilderness, cloud cover reigned, albeit illuminated from the city’s lively glow. Further away from the bustle of the metropolis’ center, though there was not as much noise from city life, he could still hear the dull droning beat that dwelled within each and every sinner. The Dark Judge hissed and his claws curled, knowing all too well that within each of these quaint dwellings there were souls stained with sin. They called to him, begged for his lawful presence to silence them and the iniquity that laid within each and every breast, every mind.

Another time, he reminded himself. There was always time to kill, for here life was eternal and death was only a fleeting blink.

His leathery soles paused at the beginning of a path, gradual concrete steps accentuated with red brick lead up to the front door of his destination. He had returned, now all that had to be done was inform Fear of his revelation. He adjusted the paper bag in his hand, careful not to crush the more delicate contents before he made his way to the door. Rot crept with him like a biting chill, blackening the tips of any plants he managed to pass by. Perhaps it could be felt as he approached the door, and perhaps it could not, but none could ignore the fact that something was lurking just outside the house as a set of bony knuckles raised themselves to the door and knocked thrice.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: An Unwanted Visitor Comes Knocking

Post by Fear on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:31 pm

And so, things came to their inevitable conclusion at last.

There had been a time where Judge Fear waited for this moment - pined for an eve like tonight's. Now... Now he felt nothing more than a gnawing emptiness. When the knocking disturbed the chilly air and the frantic barking started, the ghoul simply raised a calming hand. Metus, Percy, Oscar, Biddy... behave yourselves. Of course, could the poor dears be blamed? There was something unwelcome at the door. It was only natural that the dogs raised their hue and cries. But as vigilant as animals may be, Fear could not risk setting them loose. Such an act would be most... unwise. Instead, he set down today's newspaper and rose to his frightening height, ancient joints and heavy chains groaning alike. An unspoken voice found itself rumbling within a certain alien's head, and it bid him to remain at a safe distance, perhaps near the upstairs bath. Don't come out, Kev, don't come out... You had already suffered enough childish insults. The fiend was then gone, dispersing into an inky smoke.

Here, on the other side, Fear slithered between the cracks with grace. Hardened talons scaled the walls as a heavy shape lurked within the house's unassuming shadow. At the doorstep and already having tainted Kev's plants... Manners were apparently unheard of these days. A quiet huff escaped sharpened teeth, and the creature made its muted descent. It vaulted over the front yard in a single monstrous glide and transitioned between this realm and the next, a familiar silhouette, along with a deep resonating voice, heralding his arrival.

"Kindly ssstep away from the porch," Fear requested, his tone a professional cool. Gloomy tendrils wafted off his shoulders like steam, the fiend's otherworldly eyes piercing even in the unnatural veil. "I will not asssk again, Mortisss."
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Something was off.

It was not the dogs that barked and howled, suddenly silenced by a psychic command. It was not the swift approach of a familiar icy presence. No, he deduced. It was not familiar, in fact it was almost alien.

Nothing was what he read; no welcoming thoughts, not a single minute bubble of emotion. There was only the dark and void.

”Sssss...” The Dark Judge’s talons flexed in anticipation. This was not like him, there was something that bore the visage and name of Fear but all the same was not him at all. The bag he held within his hand was readjusted and held more firmly, prepared to swing if need be. This was not what he had thought he would return to, this was not the man he had spoken with prior to his meditative journey. It approached, and despite the knowledge that this place was protected, Judge Mortis kept his guard raised and his mind shielded. There were always exceptions, as the past incident between Daemeon and Alexander proved so clearly.

"Kindly ssstep away from the porch, I will not asssk again, Mortisss."

So this was how he greeted him. The tone was reminiscent of how one addressed a possible threat, an uninvited stranger. Something seethed within him, but he complied. The being he spoke with was as much a stranger to him as he was to them. Leathery feet stepped backward from the porch and turned to face the undead behind him. The visage he witnessed was far from the cloaked being he had drank with on many a night, instead it was one that tended to be saved for the iniquitous, the sinful.

”You ssseem ssstrange.” Judge Mortis carefully hissed. His tail flicked in anticipation, a red glow made itself evident in his eye sockets. ”What had happened while I wasss absssent?”

As the mental block was in place as he was on his travels, the Dark Judge warily kept it in place as he spoke with the mass of shadowy tendrils.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Hmph... even now, his brother thought to entertain an icy spell. The irony of brains wasted upon the paranoid. Despite what the other superfiend may or may not think, Fear raised no talon or chain. He wouldn't give Mortis the satisfaction.

Strange, said the Judge.

The observation almost made Fear spit, if he were capable of such an act. "I could sssay the sssame of you," he remarked. "Of courssse, you would only take my wordsss and ussse them to further fuel your turbulent uneassse. Look at you... preparing asss if I would dare lay a hand on your perssson. Laughable, almossst insssulting." Anger was not an emotion Fear thought to humour, but tonight... Tonight was different, and it took all of his ethereal willpower to refrain from verbally lashing out at the very soul who was as hypocritical as he was cowardly. "What happened? You think to asssk that now?" And lo, the pathetic wretch hadn't learned a damn thing out there, in God's country! Predictable, like the rising and setting of the sun. "I need not ansssswer," was Fear's calm, soothing reply. "If you cannot fathom what hasss happened sssince your departure monthsss ago, then I would only be expending energy better left for other thingsss." Like keeping his predatory instincts at bay, developing new skills to cope with a strange and vexing world. Like being able to comprehend the depths of the soul. Like not being an ungrateful clod.

Nevertheless and despite his previous words, Fear was not at selfish as his dearest brother. "Ssstay away from them," he demanded. There was no further elaboration, for was not Judge Mortis confident of his intellect? "If you have nothing elsssse to sssay nor cognizance of your actionsss, leave. I will not let you blemisssh thingsss any further."

Leave, before you yet again butcher more promises.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 am

Nothing.

No rebuttal, no sanctimonious diatribe, no departure, just... nothing. Was that... Was that all they were worth...?

For whatever reason known only to the honourable Judge Mortis, a dead silence was given in place of decisive action. It was the unsettling quiet that sharply mirrored the growing schism between the two brothers. Their bloated carcass of a bond had at last rotted into tasteless ash and empty vows.

And he hated it.

He hated it so very much.

"...You really wisssh to know?" It began with a question, but this was not an invitation to orderly discussion and levelheaded reason. This was an inquiry seeking nothing more than to hang the soul responsible for so much needless despair. If the honourable Judge Mortis had not bothered to respond then, the fiend would not bother to respond now. His opportunity had expired in the cold. "You really wisssh to know what happened? You really wisssh to know the reassson why I am ssso furiousss with you?" Then by all means, brother: you will have your precious answer. It shall begin with a frustrated snarl, for this was the freshest wound. Anger seeped into their connection with all the force of a bulging dam, psychic teeth flashing defiantly at such nonchalance. "Vessskur died, that'sss what happened! He died, Missss Kitty fell into ssself-loathing, and you weren't there, Mortisss. You weren't there for any of it!" Does that not sound familiar?

Fear seethed, "I had warned you... I had warned you." He thrust a yellow talon at the Judge emphatically, accusingly. Would you ignore it too, dear brother, and perhaps banish yourself into the woods for another month by the mere sight of it? "I had warned you to be mindful - to ssshow diligence! And what did you do!? You disssregarded my ssseasssoned advice and went plodding forward without a sssingle ounce of cognizance for your actionsss; your ssselfisssh, inconsssiderate ACTIONSSS!" His shout was sudden, betraying his faltering composure. It was a frightening bark that stabbed at the night, but no amount of indignation... no amount of heartache... would penetrate the honourable Judge Mortis' ears. After all, was he not a Judge, held accountable to the law and nothing more?

Was not the honourable Judge Mortis above reproach from one so lowly?

But then... what constituted 'lowly', and was the honourable Judge Mortis truly immune to culpability? Such arrogant logic was but a coward's shield, and Fear would not let the honourable Judge Mortis forget that he had gravely erred.

"You abandoned me." And there it was, the undeniable truth. There was plenty more where it came from. "You abandoned me, Mortisss... After all we had been through, after the reasssurancesss ssspoken on our behalvesss, you abandoned me becaussse you could not bear to wield the mantle of ressssponsssibility!" Do you have any idea what it was like, dear brother, to watch centuries of trust simply... evaporate? Do you have any idea of just how miserable it is to suffer alone, to sustain yourself on nothing but sparse breadcrumbs of hope? Do you have any idea... of just how painful it is to be repeatedly accused by the paranoid demons that exist only within your head?

How many hours, days, weeks had Fear sat in his little corner of the basement, his mind bereft of the reprieve mortals know simply as sleep, as he replayed Veskur's death over and over and over? As he relived Miss Lunette's overpowering emotions of grief and hatred for herself day into day, night into night?

Oh, but surely it was all right, for the honourable Judge Mortis need only answer to the law.

Everything else was negligible.

Fear knew this very well, yes. Was it not, after all, a mentality he had previously enjoyed? As quickly and as passionately as his anger flared, it was just as quickly drenched by a cooling salve; feeding wrath had always been an exhausting task. He was so very tired of struggling for you, brother. He was so very tired of extending a supportive hand in hopes of easing your transitions, brother. He was so very tired of being scrutinized like some assassin, brother. He was just so very tired, brother. Do you understand?

Weariness clung to the hem of his cape and vied to weigh him further down, yet the desire for a lasting say compelled the subdued Fear ever forward. He approached once, chains softly rattling, as he looked up to his brother on those fateful stairs. "What a fool I have been..." he confessed, forlorn. "In my biasss... in my devotion to you, my brother, I grew ssspoiled by denial. You never loved me, Mortisss. You coveted me, you desssired me, but you never loved me. When you lobotomized yourssself all thossse monthsss ago, I felt a crussshing guilt the likesss of which my disssgusssting, ssself-righteousss sssoul had never ssseen. I sssincerely believed that it wasss my fault for your troubled mental ssstate; that by growing corrupt myssself, it wasss ultimately my carelesssssnessss that ssset everything into motion." There was a pregnant pause, for now it was time for this festering lesion to heal. "But that'sss not the truth, isss it? No matter what I had done, you would have alwaysss been thisss... thisss disssturbed. You alone commanded your actionsss, your thoughtsss. It wasss not I, brother, who compelled you to engage in a flawed removal of your desssiresss. It wasss not I, brother, who whissspered delusssionsss of betrayal and abandonment. It wasss not I, brother, who ssselfissshly enjoyed Misssss Kitty'sss company asss if ssshe were sssome idle fassscination. And it wasss not I, brother, who lossst the meaning - the true meaning - of what it meant to be brothersss. You, Judge Mortisss, and you alone, condemned yourssself." He wondered... would the honourable Judge Mortis feel the same terrible ache that split his breast, or would the despondent ghoul continue to entertain this charade?

"My only regret..." Fear rasped, weary, "isss that I cared too much. I held on tightly and believed that you would enjoy our freedom asss I had, but in the end... you only ssslipped away. If you choosssse to remain a Judge of the law, I will not ssstop you. But know thisss, Judge Mortisss: ssshould you think to purge ssso mindlessssly and without awarenesss of your deedsss, you are nothing more than a monssster ssshackled to a piece of unfeeling metal that no longer holdsss any purposssse whatsssoever. You would be nothing more than a ssslave to fruitlessss idealsss, and no better than the very leader who valued our sssoulsss ssso poorly." A hypocrite to the bitter, eternal... end.

There was more to say - much more - and yet... Fear knew that it would only be beating a dead horse into mulch. In a plume of ebony smoke the ghoul dispersed, materializing before the house's front door. "Pleasssse leave..." he urged quietly. "I cannot ssstand the sssight of you any longer. Leave thisss place and go about your dutiesss. There isss nothing left for you here but broken promisssesss and dreamsss."

And thus, it was finished. Not with a bang, not with a heated shouting match, but with a - click! - of a lock and the soft shutting of a door. A quiet and meek death...

Fitting.

((Please find another RP partner.))

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:35 am