Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Re: Dancing in the Streets

Post by The Spine on Fri May 27, 2016 11:52 pm

It was hard to acknowledge new arrivals when he was knee-deep in a song, but The Spine did realize that his audience had grown five-fold as he sang. It really was too bad that they had stumbled upon his little act this late (if he had just so happened to detect any unusual electronic pings, they had been lost amongst the already crowded airwaves and he had dedicated no memory to them), but at least they would get to hear one song… And in the opinion of many, he had heard, it was their best. It was certainly their most popular, and they had been playing it at just about every show for decades as a result. It was written to be mostly acoustic, but had been built upon and re-rendered over the years.

"You didn't have to look my way,
    "Your eyes still haunt me to this day,
    "But you di-id… Yes, you did.
    "You didn't have to say my name,
    "Ignite my circuits and start a flame,
    "But you did~"

"Oh, Turpentine erase me whole,
    "Cause, I, don't want to live my life alone…
    "Well, I, was waiting for you all my li-iiife…
    "Oh… Why…
    "Set me free… My... Ho-ney-Beeeee~
    "Ho-ney-Beeeeee~"

Setting the knowledge of his need for maintenance aside, he focused on making sure that he performed the song well enough not only to make up for the new arrivals missing out on the earlier songs, but also to make a good first impression, seeing as he only had one song to do it in. He sidestepped to the beat of the chorus as the band always had in the past, projecting his voice to reach every member of his audience and even a bit beyond, drawing in a few spare glances and another mildly interested straggler who hung by at a distance. He knew that he would perhaps be getting more attention if this act had kept the witty banter, but that was practically impossible to do alone, so he was content with the small audience he had attracted. Perhaps he would be able to afford more than the minimum repairs after all…

"You didn't have to smile at me…
    "Your grin's the sweetest that I've ever seen…
    "But you diiid… Yes you did,
    "You didn't have to offer your hand…
    "Cause since I've kissed it I am at your command!
    "But you diiid…"

It was rather unusual to be both singing the main part of and dancing to the song… Of course he could manage it, seeing as he was the most soundly constructed and kept of the trio of automatons, but it was still odd to be singing in Rabbit's place while dancing in his own. It almost made him question continuing at all. He knew that would be impractical to give up his career despite and given his circumstances, however. He would just have to write new songs. Songs that he didn't need help with to perform properly. He was programmed to write three-part harmonies…but surely he could make it work; the harmonies were more enhancement than essential in some of their songs, after all, so he was sure he would manage.

"Oh, Turpentine erase me whole,
    "Cause, I, don't want to live my life alone…
    "Well, I, was waiting for you all my li-iiife…
    "Oh… Why…
    "Set me free… My. My, my, my- my- my- my-"

He forced the program to end as quickly as he could. There went the good part of his impression, heh? Speech drives: A-OK This had just turned into one of the rare occasions in which he found himself asking, what would Rabbit do? Rabbit was the one that glitched on stage in the middle of a song, not him. He was properly maintained; he didn't glitch on stage. Apparently, he concluded, he needed that tune-up more than he had been aware of… As for what Rabbit would do, The Spine straightened up, corrected his tie unnecessarily, made a small show of clearing his throat into the back of his hand with a noticeable reassuring smile that said 'this is all part of the act,' strummed his guitar once for a pitch, and continued from where he remembered the program had ended.

"Ho-ney-Beeeee~
    "Ho-ney-Beeeeee~"

"Hello, Goodbye, 'Twas nice to know you,
    "How I find myself without you,
    "That I'll never knooow…
    "I let myself gooo…

"Hello, Goodbye, I'm rather crazy,
    "And I never thought I was crazy,
    "But what do I knooow…?
    "Now you have to gooo…"

Thankfully, he finished the rest of the song after that without a hitch, and carefully dropped into temporary stasis at the end of it. When he came out of it this time, his guitar remained behind his back, and he instead swept off his hat with a polite forty-five degree bow to his audience as a whole. "That's all, folks! Thanks for taking the time to listen; any donations are appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your day!"
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 53

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Five fold the group had increased, the cyclists removing their helmets as they sat on the grass. "Wow, he's got a nice range." Fred commented quietly to Laura, wishing to not interrupt the automaton's performance as he continued his song. The woman in pastel purple nodded in agreement, her toe tapping to the beat as she listened. A smile began to draw upon her face, and a wistful expression drifted over her eyes. Something about the song felt familiar. Not in the way she had heard it before, but it reminded her of someone she met when she was younger.

Still parked over in his space on the asphalt, KARR was busy listening and analyzing as well. However, while Rex Marksley may have been a story about someone in the old, incredibly fanciful, west... This one seemed more like a love song, a serenade. He knew not if The Spine may have actually fallen in love, or if the song was merely programmed in for entertainment value, but the story it told was interesting nonetheless.

The woman in blue seemed to be enjoying the song as well, before she leaned over to her fellow cyclist, the woman in the spring outfit who's bike was made inoperable. "He is really doing such a wonderful performance, I think I'll give him something." However, the young woman seemed a bit skeptical, as she watched the robot perform.

"You certain? It is a machine after all. It's not so much talented as he is doing what he's programmed to do--" Before she could finish her sentence, the old woman in blue clicked her tongue, tutting.

"Abigail, honestly. Machine or not, it takes skill to play that well. He deserves something for his work." She scolded softly, mostly to keep from making a scene and possibly interrupting the act. "Now then, where did I put my wallet..." She muttered, opening up the fanny pack she had upon her side with a crisp buzz of the zipper. The woman named Abigail gave a small sigh and shook her head, but continued to watch the robot perform. He was entertaining, even if he was just a robot, she decided.

Before long, the woman in blue found what she was seeking, and pulled out a nice tip for the singing automaton, and got up from the grass with a creak of her joints. Even with all the exercise, some things simply could not be made younger than they were. She walked up to the robot, depositing some credits inside, before returning to her seat next to Abigail, looking very pleased with herself.

Although as the song went on, it seemed some things were not going as smoothly as they could be.

"Set me free… My. My, my, my- my- my- my-"

It seemed as if The Spine was malfunctioning, from what KARR could see. His processors must have caught on an error in the code, or perhaps it was a hardware issue. Either way, it was clear he needed someone to give him proper maintenance. However, the AI knew not what he could do to fix the problem, and so he waited there, uncertain what would happen next. What he was certain of, however, was if someone were to try and take advantage of the unfortunate situation, they would not get very far so long as he was there. Although thankfully, The Spine seemed to be able to make a temporary fix of it on his own, complete with making it look like it was part of the act.

To an advanced supercomputer like himself, however, the AI knew far better. However, he once again wisely kept silent. To those around him, he was simply a car left to sit in the afternoon sun... Even if his act meant he would make The Spine look a little silly, given the events of the beginning of his act. Regardless, it seemed the cyclists of his audience did not seem to mind the detour.

"Interesting act." The young man of the group said, keeping his voice low to not interrupt the musician. "You think it might be some sort of commentary on the music industry, that musicians are essentially tools of the media and popular culture, doomed to play different iterations of the same themes over and over again until they are inevitably milked dry of what skills and talent they possess and are cast aside in favor of something new?" Fred slowly turned to look at him, squinting with his lips pursed as if the young man were suddenly speaking in tongues. "...What? He uttered, completely caught off guard by the comment. "I just see a robot playing some music, Ted. Don't look too deeply into it."

Although there was another who thought the act was more of a piece of evidence towards her own views of the singing robot. "See, Janis? it's just a machine." It could not even make a good tune without glitching. It was not special enough to give money. Yet, it was not enough to convince Janis, who shook her head. "I think it's just part of the act, Abby. There is such a thing as a stage personality you know. Speaking of which, don't you think it rude to gab while he's trying to play?" Abigail sighed a little, turning her gaze towards the automaton. "Yeah, sure, sorry." While Janis did not seem like the sharpest pin of the group to her, the woman was still her elder.

All of them remained quiet from that point on, content to listen to the final part of the act before The Spine finished his song. As he gave his farewell, the group applauded. Laura and Fred leaned towards each other, discussing something between them, before they got up and came to The Spine's donation box, each dropping a few credits in."Here, that was a lovely performance, dear. I haven't heard anything like that in a while" She said to him with a smile. Fred patted her on the shoulder before they turned and walked off, regrouping with the rest of the cyclists.

KARR observed the group as they once again tried to help Abigail with her bike chain, which slipped back on easily with a little effort. He stayed quiet for a short while, awaiting the moment when all of the audience had departed and his act had reached its final conclusion before he decided to attempt to ping The Spine. A familiar frequency prodded the older robot, before KARR initiated communication.

< I detected a few anomalies while you were performing. A number of bolts in your chassis have begun to loosen, and I noticed you seemed to have experienced an error moments ago. I can transport you to the chop shop for maintenance if you wish. >

His structural integrity allowed him to carry loads of up to 57,000 pounds, The Spine, while he was heavy and would weigh him down, was nothing he could not simply calculate for when he was driving.

(really sorry this took so long!)
    Nyreena Dark Savaridin
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Location : Anywhere to find inspiration for a new fashion design
    Level : 33

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)
    Health Bar:
    380/380  (380/380)
    Stamina Bar:
    66/66  (66/66)

Post by Nyreena Dark Savaridin on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 pm

As the words of the song continued to flow Nyreena felt so at peace and tranquil she didn't even hear the interactions between the bikers and how they either agreed or disagreed with each other about The Spine's act. Though she did get worried when he started to sound like he was malfunctioning but when he went smoothly back into the ending of the song she sighed in relief and smiled, happy to know that things were just fine. When the song was over and The Spine gave his bow and thanked everyone for showing up and appreciating the donations that were given Nyreena gave a round of applause for his magnificent show and the wonderful talent that he shared with everyone that showed up. Slowly getting up while trying not to make her concussion act up she made her way over to him and said, "I have to say that was truly inspiring and amazing. Those songs are truly some of the best I've ever heard in forever. I know one thing's for sure I'll have to look up your group's music if it ever comes across in the music store. Thank you for putting on the performance and I really can't wait to see you sing again." Giving him a wave goodbye she slowly but surely made her way out of the park and back to the Inn where she could go rest and recover from her injury that she got.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:35 pm

((I'm just gonna go ahead and post this now even though it's slightly out of turn. Sorry 'bout that))

Unfortunately and despite his focus, The Spine had heard some of the more unpleasant of the cyclists' comments. He chose not to dwell too heavily upon him, having obviously been programmed to accept criticism with grace. There was always a slight conflict with that base algorithm, however… It didn't interrupt the performance, he made sure of that. The conditions of the statement weren't met, so it was easy to merely carry on as he was before without devoting any additional processing to the realization that perhaps those cyclists had a point, or the thought that perhaps he wouldn't be as widely accepted as a soloist because at least some of the novelty had come from admiring the complex robotics the Walters had built and maintained rather than the 'bot's compositions. Whoops.

Even so, the song went off without a hitch apart from that one small hitch towards the middle, and the reviews his sensitive audio receptors were picking up were still fairly positive despite being a little mixed. After the close, he politely received both patrons' comments with a tip of his hat to each. A smile and a genuine "Thank you very much, ma'am, sir," was addressed to the couple who tipped him before rejoining their friends. The young lady who had been in the audience for longer than most of the others earned herself an even bigger smile. "And thank you for listening!" was his enthusiastic reply, even going so far as to give her an extra bow. Music store… He'd have to look into that one for sure to see if it would be manageable. CDs may have been steadily going out of style back home, but they were still a good way to make a living. They could certainly make him more than busking had…

He closed his donation box after a moment, fairly certain that he would have at least enough credits for a much needed tune up. As he positioned the box under his arm, he recognized the familiar transition of the inconspicuous black automobile which was still parked nearby.

Why are we whispering? wrote:< I detected a few anomalies while you were performing. A number of bolts in your chassis have begun to loosen, and I noticed you seemed to have experienced an error moments ago. I can transport you to the chop shop for maintenance if you wish. >

There was just no hiding technical glitches from other robots, not that that was anything new. { If you wouldn't mind, that'd be ideal, thank you. } was pinged back along the same frequency in response as the automaton strode over towards the Trans Am. It was certainly fortunate that KARR had not only stopped by but stuck around; otherwise he would have had to walk the entire way to the mechanic's. "Small world" was, after all, not at all literal in this context.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:03 am

Because whispering is fun wrote:{ If you wouldn't mind, that'd be ideal, thank you. }

The moment KARR noticed Nyreena had left hearing range, the AI dropped his use of the transmission frequency. After all, not everyone was as used to seeing a talking car as they were, say, an automaton. The Spine made his choppy way over to the two-toned vehicle, and KARR gladly opened his driver side door for him. It would make for an easier trip through the city without anyone gawking at a passenger sitting in a moving vehicle with no driver."Apologies for the earlier secrecy, I do not tend to enjoy drawing attention to myself." He explained, and within the cockpit, he would be able to see a trio of amber LEDs flashing just above his steering wheel.

The singing robot need not worry about whether or not the AI could carry him, for his suspension capacity was well past The Spine's weight. Perhaps if there were at least one hundred of him hitching a ride, there would be an issue. Truly, for The Spine's sake, he should be thanking Knight Industries engineering for this ride. KARR's scanners easily took his height into consideration, and the seats adjusted for him, sinking down to the floor and sliding back a little with an electronic whir.

"A pity about those cyclists, they should know better than to take your talents for granted." He uttered, his vox flickering within the darkened cabin.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:51 pm

((I think I just set a personal record as far as neglecting a thread for far too long goes... :'D Sorry 'bout that! Promise I'm not actually dead.))

The Spine didn’t get in immediately. The car’s door opened willingly, and he took just a moment to look inside; the various lights and buttons on the dash and console certainly made him look just as high tech as he was. Each of them hinted at a different feature, at least most of which the automaton doubted had been used by anyone besides KARR himself in some time. Despite his willingness to give him a lift, he found himself also doubting that this was a regular occurrence. The three prominent lines of light in the center of the dashboard flickered in sync with KARR’s voice, and it was to them that The Spine gave a quick nod. “Understandable.” He wasn’t quite sure that there were any immediate threats around here to prompt such secrecy, but what did he know? He only just got here.

The front seat adjusted its position as The Spine reached in to put his guitar and donation box in the other seat. Once it was finished, he retracted the large spines on his back and carefully sat down, correctly assuming that KARR wouldn’t be offering him the lift if he couldn’t hold his weight. It was also with great care that he shut the door behind him, figuring it would be equally as rude to slam it as it would be to just leave it open. “Eh, everybody’s a critic,” he replied with a shrug. “There’s always at least one in the group that will think like that. Thanks, though.” The majority had reacted positively, so he wasn’t too bothered by the dissenting opinion. Just as programmed, he took it in stride.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:35 pm

Perhaps if The Spine was a human, it would be wise to be wary, but KARR held no qualms about taking a fellow robot as a passenger. To him, the both of them were similar peas in a pod, the only ones of their kind, intended to be tech of the future-- albeit for highly different purposes. Thus, the supercomputer could not help but feel a certain amount of kinship towards him despite the skewing of time and programming between them. The glow of KARR's interior (sans distraught woman) illuminated The Spine's metallic face in a myriad of greens and reds, the latter seeming to take the place of any shadows in the darkness of the cabin.

Alas, what 'drawing attention' entailed differed between the two robots. While The Spine naturally would want to draw attention, being a performing robot, KARR's experience with drawing attention was... Not as positive. Many were not too familiar with a car talking to them aside from perhaps a canned "your door is ajar" or "seatbelt unfastened".

Regardless, the AI was glad he understood, and the robot took his seat. His interior optics watched as the guitar and donation box were placed in the passenger seat, and then to his newest passenger. There was barely a dip in the vehicle's stance as the singing automaton seated himself, KARR's hydraulics factoring for the added weight and adjusted accordingly. Surprisingly, he treated him with far more care than most humans. "Indeed, but it doesn't hurt to ask for less criticism, and more paid approval." KARR easily opined. Scanning over the contents of his passenger's box, while he made enough to take care of himself, it likely would feel better if it were a little- oh, heavier.

With a passenger sitting within his cockpit, the opaque tint of KARR's windows quickly faded until the city could be clearly seen and the afternoon sun shone in on the modified Trans-Am's interior. There were a few chimes that emanated from the dashboard and the turbines whirred to life, a number of the arcing lines of LED's that made up the monitor for KARR's vitals snapping aglow as the lines of artificial light pulsated alongside the adjusting sensory data.

"I have plotted the most efficient route we can take. Our arrival time to the Chop Shop will be approximately seven minutes, factoring for traffic. " He reported habitually. Judge Fear never held any qualms about knowing how quickly he could get to sentencing his sinners, likely The Spine would be just as happy to know when he could get his bolts tightened.

(Its fine! You seem to be a pretty busy person in general.)
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm

K.A.R.R. wrote:"Indeed, but it doesn't hurt to ask for less criticism, and more paid approval."

He couldn’t help but give a small smile at the sentiment. It wasn’t one he was unfamiliar with, and he did agree with it to some extent; he may have lived in a manor back in California, but despite appearances, they hadn’t exactly been “rolling in it,” to coin a phrase (though Rabbit had certainly tried). The upkeep on a manor full of fickle automatons and machinery wasn’t exactly inexpensive, and there had been several times when concerts alone had not been enough. That was generally when the government commissions came in… Of course, that wouldn’t be an option here. But he wasn’t about to start contemplating that aspect of this world now. He had earned what he had, and so long as it was enough to cover at least some of his overdue maintenance, he would get by just fine on his own.

The Spine’s photoreceptors readjusted as natural light began to come in through the gradually clearing windows. He watched attentively as KARR whirred in preparation, the various lights and signals flickering and changing with his internal processes. He knew that if any one of the Walter line were in his place, they would be having a fit. Machines as sophisticated as this weren’t common, even in the Calvacadium. Fortunately, The Spine was easily able to contain himself.

He glanced back at KARR’s…voice lights as he spoke again. Efficient was exactly the word he had been thinking of. “Sounds great. Ready when you are,” he replied. He was already lining up several internal scans and prioritizing his needs, primary bolts at the forefront as most pressing. Seven minutes would be more than enough time for him to ready whatever information and instructions he would need to relay to the mechanic.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Although KARR was unfamiliar with The Spine's history regarding his past lifestyle, the other robot's smile was more than enough to glean some insight. It was the same smile he saw in a number of humans who had attempted to use him in the past. It was a shared knowledge of what it was like being down on one's luck and wishing to have a little more than they had already. Whether it be jewels, a boat shop, or even a little more in the donation box.

It was tempting, admittedly, to get involved in the robot's affairs and offer a bit more than a free ride to the Chop Shop. But he knew better than to push, the AI already had his ties to the Dark Judge and his plans. Should he arise from his absence and have need of him, KARR held no interest in possibly being found out by the singing automaton in his driver's seat. The same automaton who seemed fairly intrigued by his startup process... Then again, many were. It was not every day that the inside of a vehicle like himself was on par with a jet in terms of its intricacy.

Thankfully the robot decided to keep his plated hands to himself.

With The Spine's approval, KARR's engines gave a shrill whine as he pulled out of his parking space and turned onto the road. "I am always ready." KARR's synthetic voice nearly purred, the lines of his voice box flickering inwardly like jagged teeth.

His sleek black and silver form glided between the lanes of traffic as he navigated the roadway. Much like a fish in water the AI seemed to smoothly pass between the cars as he maneuvered around and overtook the drivers that decided to lag in their lanes. Yet, despite how it seemed they were swiftly snapping up the miles between the park and the mechanic's shop, the digital read out of his speedometer never climbed past the city's allotted speed limit.

((That should do it for me, unless you want to keep going.))

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 am