Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Dancing in the Streets

Post by The Spine on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Time: 12:49:32.4 (approx. 12:50pm)
    Date: 08-29-2015

His decision to return to street performing had been influenced mostly by two things; first, the inevitable need for at least a small amount of income from somewhere, and second, his past experiences performing with the other robots in Balboa Park back home. He was running as well as could be expected given the circumstances (if any of Walter’s automatons could get by for a few weeks without combusting, it was him, one of the best built of any of the  ‘bots in the manor), but he was noticing…things that he would need help fixing soon. Help which would likely come with a price tag.

And even if it didn’t, there would eventually come something else which would.

So, here was The Spine, back near the edge of the park where he had first arrived, filling the air with acoustic music and occasional banter. He’d left his cool coat back at the inn, instead dressing simply in his vest, tie, fedora, and slacks with his spine glowing and fins protruding, gleaming in the afternoon sun. A small cardboard box with “Donations Accepted” written on it sat at his feet, but hadn’t gathered anything in the short time he had been out there. He’d only just finished his second song, after all.

Finishing off the last chorus of “Fire Fire,” he pushed his guitar to his side and “shut down,” his chin dropping to his chest and knees bending like one would expect of an automaton like him. A few quiet moments later, he revived, straightening up mechanically with a hiss, straightening his red tie, and shifting his head as if cracking his neck. It wasn’t a strictly necessary routine, but it had been routine for as long as any of the singing automatons could remember, a bit of programming that had lasted since they were one of a kind. The endearing little ritual was entertaining for those who hadn’t seen many automatons before; or so he was told.

“Thank you! This next song was written more recently, mostly by myself. It, like most of my old band’s songs, was written as a three-part harmony, but the melody can stand-alone,” he explained whether anyone was listening or not. He tuned his guitar as he spoke, but it didn’t need much adjustment before it was ready for another song. He leaned down, picked up a water bottle, took a drink, and set it back where it had been sitting next to his donation box before continuing. “We were planning on filming a music video for it just before I was brought here, but obviously that didn’t happen… Anyway, here it is; it’s called ‘Starlight Star-Shine.’ Enjoy.”

And with that, he began to play an acoustic rendition of “Starlight Star-Shine” as promised. His voice was perfectly in tune (except on that second rounds of oh’s, but he definitely didn’t notice that whatsoever), his rubber-padded fingertips swept and held the strings expertly, and his beat was both kept and accompanied by his rhythmic swaying and restabilizing. The air was filled with music once again as he sang out, just as he had been programmed to do.

“Oooo, ooo-ooo-ooooo~
    “Ooo-ooo-ooooo~
    “Ooo-ooo-ooooo, ooooo, oo-oo-oo-oooo…
    “Starlight, star shine,
    “Please come back into my, li-i-i-ife…
    “You left me, all alone…
    “Can’t you see that my, heart’s your home?”

Last edited by The Spine on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Re: Dancing in the Streets

Post by Aderyn on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:36 pm

The half-alien walked down the street, her nose in some biology book. She'd been so absorbed in her studies of late, that she could narrowly miss being smooshed by an anvil, or walking off a cliff, and never would've noticed. It was a rather bad habit, even she knew that. It was also a great way to get hurt, something the young nurse intern should know better than to do. Aderyn stumbled over the curb, and looked up in the nick of time. A small exclamation, and she set the book in her bag.

After a quick recovery, she surveyed her surroundings. Was that a park? Oh, good, she can go read safely there. She dashed across the street. It seemed a nice enough place. A silver man playing music, and...huh, she only saw that in Vegas. She stood off to the side, listening to the song. A lovely song, good talent. The hybrid dug through her pocket, finding a crumbled up bill from her coffee, and, after straightening it out and crisply folding it, dropped it in his box. Not much, but it was something.Perhaps seeing that would encourage others to follow suit. She turned and sat in the grass nearby, still listening, and watching people walk by.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 53

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Laying low was tedious.

Day in and day out of keeping a low profile, he could certainly do. KARR could appreciate the lack of damage to his systems that a more active lifestyle would grant him, yet he could not help but find that it became monotonous after a while. The city granted him protection, but kept him from exercising his gearshift like a good chase could. The AI read about all sorts of information, files upon files of knowledge that filled some of his idle time, but left the rest for him to ponder when he would finally get to use it in practice.

Perhaps it was time he develop the proper hardware systems for flight, he thought to himself. All of the possible threats Judge Fear warned him of tended to be land-based. Not to mention, the cosmos above were strangely alluring; there were so many stars, so many planets... Upon having taken the time to calculate the distance between this planet and all the others he had seen, he haughtily considered his artificial immortality to be a boon, likely the envy of any astronaut who dreamed to visit them. He was not a fool to outter space's own dangers, however; even if his own scanner arrays could not detect them, the video archives of the city's library informed him plenty of what lurked within its mystery. Evil Emperors -albeit retired- , Space Pirates, and at one point there happened to be a lucky telescopic photo of a moon-base. Should he decide to go and venture into what humans called the Final Frontier, he would need to make some serious upgrades to his weaponry. KARR turned down the street leading to the park, on this warm afternoon, there had to be some amount of joggers or pet walkers to keep him entertained.

As he drew near to the scenic expanse of green in the middle of the miles upon miles of buildings, KARR's audio receptors began to pick a familiar yet melodic voice...

“Oooo, ooo-ooo-ooooo~
    “Ooo-ooo-ooooo~
    “Ooo-ooo-ooooo, ooooo, oo-oo-oo-oooo…
    “Starlight, star shine,
    “Please come back into my, li-i-i-ife…
    “You left me, all alone…
    “Can’t you see that my, heart’s your home?”

Sure enough, as his two-toned form rolled  to where the sound was coming from, his optics became witness to The Spine. The one day acquaintance was busy swaying to the beat of his song, with what appeared to be a spectator. His turbines dwindling down to an idle, the AI observed as she dug through one of her pockets and produced a bill, unfolding it and dropping it into the box at his feet. He rumbled about to a paved area close to where the fellow automaton was playing his music, putting himself in park as he pondered it all.

Interesting. All The Spine had to do was sing a melody and move around a little, and humans dropped money at his feet willingly. For all the times he had spent at the side of Tony and The Rev, John Stanton, and even the two Dark Judges... This had to be the most easy method of accumulating funds he had seen.

Well, this and hacking an ATM machine.

Not wishing to interrupt the performer nor startle the paying spectator, but still curious about this means of manipulating the more organic denizens, KARR sent an electronic ping his way.

< Greetings, The Spine. >
    Nyreena Dark Savaridin
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Location : Anywhere to find inspiration for a new fashion design
    Level : 33

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)
    Health Bar:
    380/380  (380/380)
    Stamina Bar:
    66/66  (66/66)

Post by Nyreena Dark Savaridin on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:11 am

And once again there was Nyreena walking through the park this time with a sketchbook and pencil in hand and a satchel slung across her shoulder to carry said things just in case she wanted to take a break from sketching. Walking along the path she watch drawing out a few ideas of designs she had been thinking of for a while when the sound of singing caught her ear, something about fire and stopping to listen the beat it quickly peaked her interest and slightly moving her head along with it made her wonder who was making the wonderful music. Stowing her book and pencil in her bag she quickly began hovering and flew to where the commotion was happening arriving as the Spine was in full swing of singing his second song and noticed Aderyn listening as well, recognizing her from when they met in the Sanctuary. Landing near where he was performing she approached and listening to the song more she found herself lightly dancing along to the beat smiling at the same time at how the music made her feel good and happy. At the same time the song was quite inspiring and she started to think of some stellar inspired designs for her clothes.

Watching Aderyn as she fished out a bill from her pocket and toss it into the box that sat in front it reminded her of all the street performers she had seen on the streets and in the subways back in New York and always wanting to pitch in to help good talent Nyreena did the same getting out a few bills and putting them in the box she nodded to the Spine before stepping back and swaying along to the good music being made, never noticing the automobile as it came in.
    Lunette
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 6

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)
    Health Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by Lunette on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:52 am

It was such a nice day to walk around in the sunlight and have some lunch before starting the work day. Without a second thought, Lunette had decided to take her dear friend out to a nice lunch before they had to clean up the tavern a bit. A fine lunch was had, but Lunette didn't want to go back just yet... It was a nice day, after all, and she insisted on a walk. Veskur had no issue in this, and the two walked around the city for thirty or so minutes before they wandered up to the park.

"Good day, huh?" "Ya, a good day. Not too terribly hot, thankfully." Lunette gave a smile as she held her hands behind her back as Veskur had his in his pockets. "What would you say to a nice picnic in the park sometime next week?" The cat turned and looked to her friend, but he was far more interested in something else. His ears were perked up high as he faced away from her and seemed... fixated. Lunette crossed her arms and tilted her head, "hey! What's so interesting?" Veskur turned and gave a wide smile, "sorry~! I was just listening to some music." "Music?" The rabbit took her arm softly as he led her over closer to the sound.

The two stayed a few feet back as they listened to the strange, shiny individual sing his song, which sounded quite lovely. Veskur seemed to enjoy it and Lunette was pretty pleased by it as well. While the two weren't really paying attention to the other people around, Lunette did happen to notice Aderyn and Nyreena drop some loose money into the box. Street performing wasn't as common as selling goods on the street, but it was far nicer, the cat thought. Before she could fish out anything, however, Veskur held up a nice amount of money to her. "Ooh, thank you, dear~" she purred as she walked up, placing the money in the box and returning to her friend.

It was quite nice hearing such soft music without the need for more bass or something. It was simple and smooth, just as music should be... or at least, in Lunette and Veskur's opinion.

_____
    ((Hello there! I can tend to take a while to post, so feel free to skip over me if and when you feel the need to post! Just thought I'd throw that out there!))

Last edited by Lunette & Veskur on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:22 pm

The musical automaton was starting to attract some attention; just like the good ol’ days. Of course the good ol’ days had only been a couple weeks ago, but that wasn’t relevant.

“All of my mind, couldn’t unwind…
    “What it was, what it’ll be…
    “What future can I…hope to see?”

A woman with a slight greenish tint to her skin dropped a donation in his box, earning herself a grateful tip of his head as he continued to sing. It would seem as if he had found the solution to at least one of his problems; he now knew how he could earn enough income to get by! And once again, he found himself grateful that he wasn’t a copy of Rabbit in more ways than he already was; he sincerely doubted that he would be able to keep up with that much maintenance, financially speaking… He had a feeling that he would better understand the Walters’ financial difficulty before long as it was, let alone if he were a more demanding machine.

That was a familiar sort of ping… The Spine glanced over towards the general direction of the message and noticed K.A.R.R. idling nearby. Apparently the park was becoming “their place.” Not wanting to absorb too much of his limited resources but also not wanting to ignore his acquaintance, the automaton settled for turning his head for a moment amidst his swaying to look directly at the AI, giving him a pointed nod as a form of greeting before he returned fully to his performance.

“You were like starlight, just like starshine…
    Casting down on me,
    When the light would go down and the,
    darkness was found…
    You would shine hope to me~”

The next donation came from a young lady who, like the greenish woman, received a grateful tip of his head. His movements became steadily more exaggerated as the song progressed, his expression matching--if he were human, it’d be appropriate to say that he was “getting into the music,” his passion showing on his face. Unfortunately, he knew better.

“The sun frowns, the moon sighs…
    “Sad is the universe, through my eyes…
    “I am not just a machine…
    “I'm just a person holding onto a dream~”

He was paying enough attention to the show he was putting on that he almost missed the cat-person’s donation entirely. She was already walking away by the time he caught her, so she didn’t get a complimentary head-tip--bummer…

“When…the light would go, down, and the,
    darkness was found…
    You would shine hope to me!”

A moment after he had struck that last chord, he repeated the same “shutdown” procedure he had done at the finish of the last song, “rebooting” after only a few seconds spent idling. He smiled at the small gathering of spectators he now had watching him. “Thank you very much for your generous donations,” he said with a tip of his hat. “For those of you who don’t know--which seems to be all but one, hello again KARR--my name is The Spine because I was built with a titanium alloy spine.” He turned slightly to show off the metallic fins on his back, his preprogrammed introduction which he used every show. "You could say that's my backstory." Obligatory pun; check. “Back home, I was a member of a band called Steam Powered Giraffe, and I was programmed to entertain you!”

“This next song was written by a good friend of mine named ‘Rabbit.’ If you catch the gist of it, feel free to sing along; you’ll probably see what I mean in just a moment.” He paused briefly to take another quick drink. He didn’t usually sing the lead for this one, but it was one of their more popular songs and was usually well received… He’d just sing Rabbit’s part instead of his own and hope this crowd had similar tastes to the ones he had entertained back home. Of course it wouldn’t be as aggressive of a tune as it usually could be; he was playing it acoustic, after all, and decided to draw out his voice a little more than Rabbit typically would to match. Faster and more upbeat than the last, but not nearly as dramatically so as it could be.

He set his water back down. “Alright… This story is completely true, so…” He reached up and adjusted a small dial behind his ear, the control making a sound not unlike a toy being wound up. He practically purred the lead in:

”Attune your ears to the grinding gears…”

“Come with me I'll show you how to be a metal man,
    “When the gears are turning and the fires are…burning…
    “When the world ticks around you,
    “Voices tocking all the time,
    “And you live for sleep but you've never slept,
    “because you cannot sleep…”

“Colonel Walter was shocked,
    “When he learned from the Nile…
    “Copper African elephants, turning hostile…
    “So he built these wonderful automaton blokes,
    “And a very big steam-powered giraffe with smokes…”

Last edited by The Spine on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BECAUSE I HAD ONE JOB)
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:59 am

Along with the green-skinned woman, another familiar face came to listen to the musical performance. Though this one was not remembered nearly as fondly. It was none other than that ghost-woman, Nyreena. While long ago she had been rather happy to put a sniper-rifle's round into his paneling, she seemed to not even notice him as he had pulled up.

Not that KARR minded, even if he felt like placing the ghost-woman back into the pool of souls, this was not the place to do it. There were too many witnesses to keep track of, and the resident ISO's would surely take note of the attempt  should he decide to put a well-placed laser shot into her ethereal head. The Spine however was not so oblivious, the AI noticing as he turned in his direction and gave a pointed nod for a greeting before returning to his performance. Interesting, it appeared he processor power to multitask between his programming and communicating with another machine.

Then again, The Spine was far older than his own engineering. With him being only of three other machines of their advanced nature, it was expected there would be some short-comings. Especially since their engineers were so... nostalgic with what components they used.

All the same, KARR was content to sit idle and watch as others came by to listen to his music. His audio receptors started to pick up another approaching spectator as his processors idly read over the input coming from the fellow automation as he kept singing and dancing.

"Good day, huh?"
    "Ya, a good day. Not too terribly hot, thankfully."
    "What would you say to a nice picnic in the park sometime next week?"
    "hey! What's so interesting?"
    "sorry~! I was just listening to some music."
    "Music?"

As the two approached and the cat-like creature took some money to approach The Spine with, KARR could not help but find them to be all too familiar. Not that he had ever seen the two before, but they had a striking resemblance to the canine-like being that he had asked for aid months ago. However, neither of them seemed to the same signs of the oddities that Sutekh possessed, both seeming to be fully-flesh and blood. Although, the rabbit certainly caught his interest more than his fluffy companion, mostly due to the number of charms he had on his person.

Though it would be foolish to think the AI had not noticed their respective blades upon their persons either. However, such simple tools were hardly a worry to his durable armor, and therein paid them little heed.

Upon noticing that The Spine had ceased his serenading for the moment, his attention went back fully onto him as he introduced himself to the crowd... And introduced him as well. Well, there went his inconspicuousness. Alas, the AI had not known about the ghost-woman's arrival until after he had arrived, and therein had not been able to properly inform his acquaintance of the fact his line of work did not always draw the best attention to himself. Then again, there was only one person here who possibly recognized him, and they were all in a relatively safe environment, what was the harm in being identified?

Especially since he doubted he would see many of these faces again anytime soon. Nor would they pay much attention to him save for a confused glance or two. Should anyone look his way, they would only see a glistening black and silver Trans-Am parked on the pavement closest to the singing titanium bot.

Nothing really suspicious there.

Still, KARR was careful to keep his windows tinted so that no one could see in to the glowing lights of his dashboard. The Spine went through his entertainment routine to acclimate the audience to his person, and once he went on to sing his next song, the AI took a look at how much credits were dropped into the box. Hm, not much, certainly nowhere the king's ransom he and Tony used to bring back from their days robbing banks. Then again, given The Spine was playing to the interest and charity of his audience, likely there would be little to gain. Alas, the setbacks of being programmed to a very specific task with some auxiliary functions granted during wartime purposing he supposed.

All the same, what The Spine was lacking in accumulating funds, he certainly was drawing some interesting spectators... Having just turned his scans partially to the green skinned woman sitting nearby, it seemed she was not completely human after all, as he suspected. For the moment KARR was content to make a file on her and put what he gathered from his scans into it, though most of his attention was on his surroundings, spectators and singing robot included.
    Nyreena Dark Savaridin
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)
    Health Bar:
    380/380  (380/380)
    Stamina Bar:
    66/66  (66/66)

Post by Nyreena Dark Savaridin on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Seeing the grateful tip of the head from the Spine Nyreena smiled happily to know that her contribution to his funds was much appreciated as well as Lunette's as she watched her make her sizable donation. Continuing to listen to the rest of the song she softly swayed along to the beat her smile never wavering at how well the song was played and the great talent that was being displayed. Once the song had ended Nyreena applauded at a job well done then listening as he thanked everyone for their generous contributions and introduced himself he had said hello to none other than KARR and glancing over to where the Spine had glance she recognized the all too familiar machination that had helped in the destruction of her short-termed marriage. However, even though she would like to return the favor, she had put all that had happened in the past in the past and decided to leave it there.

Continuing to pay attention as the Spine said what his name was and that he was built with a titanium alloy spine, turning slightly to show the crowd the fins on his back which fascinated Nyreena quite a bit then lightly laughed as he said that it was his back story. As he continued to explain that back in his own world he was part of a band called Steam Powered Giraffe the ghost felt her mind spinning away as new ideas came flowing into her head all steampunk-themed. She was actually really glad that she came to listen to the music or else she would not be so inspired by this. Explaining the next song was written by his good friend by the name of Rabbit and if the audience caught the jist of what the song was they were free to sing along with him as he performed his song. Adding that the story was completely true he reached to the back of his head for a few seconds then started the song the beat quickly making her foot tap along to it and her head to move along as well. Quickly getting an idea of what the Spine meant by the gist of the song she decided to sing along even though she thought her voice wasn't that great in her opinion.
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Aderyn smiled briefly at the silver man at the nod. And, as she had predicted, her offering led to others. It wasn't luck that made her think of it, a street performer once told her, back at the tattoo parlor, that he would put a few dollars in a hat to make it look he had impressed others enough. Odd that people didn't want to be the first...

She watched the others, recognizing Nyreena and Lunette from the sanctuary. As the song ended, the performer did... Something unusual. The half alien wasn't sure what to make of it. Did be need help? Just as quickly, though, he recovered. He introduced himself, mentioned the trans am--she looked at the car, tilting her head curiously before The Spine said something to catch her attention.

A titanium spine? From there, she didn't hear anything. Oh, that was fascinating! The nursing student in her ached to investigate. Imagine what such a thing could've gotten a back in her world! Sure, they had robotic Star Wars arms now, and their artificial legs were always improving, but...paralyzed patients had a strange exoskeleton of sorts, one could say. If they had something like that spine, though...

She shook her head, her brain going into a frenzy. No, she was there to enjoy herself and stop that thinking for a while. It was a catchy song, and she bobbed her head to the beat.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:24 pm

“Now the war is passed and over…
    “We're left to sit and wonder…
    “What is life, and what is real?
    “And why do living things need feeling?

“One, two, three!”

He didn’t gain any new spectators--just some glances from the few passersby who had also happened to be strolling through the park today--but he didn’t lose any either, so that was good. Breaking out into the first round of la-da-da-da-dah’s didn’t prompt much singing, as he expected given that no one in his current audience would’ve heard the song before. A little later, however, one of his patrons did find the courage to sing along with him, something which earned her a brief smile.

“How'd you like to try a-pumping lead through your veins?
    “Or have a heart so wet and cold it starts rusting?
    “When the world ticks around you,
    “Voices tocking all the time…
    “You live for feelings you've never felt,
    “Because you cannot feel…”

He seemed to be doing fairly well so far judging by the content reactions of his audience to the music, despite how few they were in number. He briefly considered that perhaps he wasn’t doing as well as the aforementioned reactions suggested, but was easily able to find evidence to counter that. He had briefly recalled a time when the band had failed spectacularly for a period as a result of poor labeling… But, he reasoned, this wasn’t like that. He wasn’t getting the same odd looks as he had when he and the others had been faced with preteens expecting a boy band. He was only on his first impression, after all, and even back home the band had taken years to gain any loyal following whatsoever.

“Wind me up, turn the gears…
    “Wind me up, turn the gears…”

Success or not, he was still programmed to play music, and music he would play whether he had an audience or not. His momentary processing distraction led to him momentarily falling into his routine programming, and he briefly fell into his intended harmonizing. Thankfully it was something he recognized and was able to recover from. It also happened to be right near the end of the song, which made it even easier to cover up. The small crowd would likely assume that he had used some “creative license,” or that that was the way the song was supposed to go;

“A very big steam powered giraffe with smokes…
    “A veah-hah-hah-hah-HAH-HEEEEYY!
    “Brass goggles…
    “La-da-da-da-dah…”

He finished the song correctly--well, technically incorrectly, but at least consistently--and repeated his “shutdown” procedure as he had and would every time he finished a tune. He wasn’t too worried about that minor technical difficulty… It was only to be expected; the simplest way to describe it would be “old habits.” In reality it was his accepted programming for the song being challenged with a remarkably similar improvisation. His processor treated it like a brand new song but at the same time acknowledged that it wasn’t and got confused as a result. The band had experienced a similar challenge when covering songs originally performed by other bands; they heard how the song was supposed to go, but struggled to convert what they heard into a functional three-part harmony because

Once he had recovered, he took another drink from his bottle, replenishing the small amount of water his boiler had evaporated during the last song. “Thank you for singing along,” he said as he set the drink down, ready to segue once again. He had chosen his next song because not only did it fit the theme he had decided on, but it was also one the band hadn’t played in years. He wasn’t sure why; it had been the humans that had decided on which songs they were to play during their sets back home, and for whatever reason they had just stopped requesting this one. So, he figured, why not pull it out again for this special occasion?

“You know… All this reminds me of the good old days…” he began, verifying the tune of his guitar as he spoke. “Back when landing on the moon was science fiction, police boxes were used to call the police, robots such as myself had only been dreamed of, and people thought the world was flat…” He paused for a moment, his eyes narrowed. “…Okay, maybe not that far back.” He straightened his hat slightly. “Anyway, back in 1956, the band and I played a show at the Plifterston, New Pennsyltucky World's Fair. It was fairly memorable; I’d just been upgraded, there were tons of people there, we got to perform under a giant globe with a creepy face on it… Good times. But why just listen to me ramble on about the glory days like an old man when you can listen to me ramble on about the glory days in song?” he asked with a smile, strumming his guitar once to check his key as well as emphasize his point.

Almost immediately, he readjusted his stance and began to pluck at the strings of his guitar.

“When I was a young boy, I went down to the county fair;
    “Brought myself a nickel, bought a pickle, had change to spare;
    “Thought I'd spend a cent or two to see what the robots could do~”
    Nyreena Dark Savaridin
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)
    Health Bar:
    380/380  (380/380)
    Stamina Bar:
    66/66  (66/66)

Post by Nyreena Dark Savaridin on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:39 pm

As the Spine continued to play his song Nyreena had noticed that a few more people had come by when they heard the sound but decided to move on and not stay to listen to the wonderful music that was being made. In her opinion it was too bad because they were really missing out on some really great talent that was performing. Quickly catching onto the first round of la-da-da-da-dah’s she sang along the best she could in tune to the song she saw the brief smile she was given and she smiled back and continued to sway along with the song, enjoying the melody and the story the lyrics told. There was a small spot at the end of the song where it seemed like he had fallen out of key but somehow finished the song with a bit of creative flair that she found kind of interesting.

Watching as he powered down again for a couple of moments then powered up again she listened he thanked everyone, well pretty much Nyreena, for singing along to which she nodded in reply then listened along as he explained how this reminded him of the old days, checking the tune of his guitar at the same time, and in 1956 where he performed with his band in a place called the Plifterston, New Pennsyltucky World's Fair. Describing it a bit the bit about the globe with the creepy face slightly disturbed her a bit then hearing him ask that why listen to ramble on about his glory days when they could listen about it in song strumming his guitar once to emphasize his point then readjusting his stance he began the song which was catching and slightly upbeat the ghost moved along to it like the others truly enjoying the music very much.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 pm

Reaming idle throughout the performance, KARR's processors analyzed The Spine's vocal tones throughout the song, comparing and contrasting the tone, tempo, and harmony while he let his scanners take in the rest of the park, current visitors included. As the song went on and he analyzed the lyrics, the car-bound super computer cound not help but find that there was something solemn about the song despite it's upbeat tempo. Part of his history was revealed in the verses, along with what he could only think to be a possible inner conflict of their programming. Though, the AI could not help but find his idle study constantly made more complicated by having to pick out the off-key verses that a certain ghost kept belting out.

He'd rather not have to waste the extra processing power it took to pick her minced tones out of the data stream.

However, audio filtering aside, the AI found the singing robot's performance to be rather pleasant. When his tone started to go off key, the AI began to wonder if perhaps this was an effect of being removed from the two robots he usually worked alongside. If they played as a group, likely he, Rabbit, and Hatchworth harmonized off each other. If they were here, what would The Spine's performance sound like then with the rest of them in tune? It likely would not take long to synthesize a possible outcome, as his polyphonic synthesizer and audio editing abilities could readily piece together the missing harmony.

To hear them all in person however would be far more informative.

At the end, The Spine went on to regale them with the events of a robot show in 1956, where he had just been upgraded and was shown off with his accompanying models. The places of New Pennsyltucky and Plifterston were foreign to him, but he kept the information to his databanks all the same. Whether the rest of the group realized it or not, The Spine's performance was actually far more informative than he let on. The titanium plated automation prepared himself for his next song, and lo and behold; the very moment he started singing again the ghost started up her dancing...

And possibly would begin that caterwauling again later on.

He was going to have to do something about this. There was no way he was going to waste any more energy filtering out her voice from the audio file. Now then, what could he do...

"Now Theo, be careful where you pilot your toy."
    "Don't worry daddy, I've been practicing really good!"
    "Alright. Just keep it inside this area."
    "I know!"

Looks like a father and his son decided to come out and enjoy the summer afternoon, the two scaly looking creatures stood in the middle of one of the park's open areas, the child's gaze set upon a very nicely kept toy plane while the father looked around to make sure no one managed to sneak into range of the toy aircraft's possible flying range and risk getting hit. In the child's hands KARR scanned a simple looking remote control that dictated the  toy plane's velocity, pitch, and direction.

"Perfect." KARR's vocalizer purred within the soundproof cabin.

There was a high pitched buzzingt as the plane started up, apparently gasoline fueled as the child ran it across the grass and lead it up into a smooth takeoff. Within a few seconds however, he would not be the only one piloting the device. KARR's pilot override function effortlessly seized control of the contraption and instead of it flying in a controlled circle as dictated by its owner, the plane suddenly started to veer off course and over towards the area that The Spine was performing in.

"Theo!"
    "I-It's not me! I swear!"

Fruitlessly the child mashed every button he could on the controller, even flicking it off and on to see if the malfunction could be fixed. Yet, the now rogue plane continued on its course, leaving both child and parent to look helplessly on as the white and blue toy plane rose as if carried by a strong gust before diving right for Nyreena's head.

Neeerrroooowww--WHAP!

---

If HIT, the plane rams head on into Nyreena.

Last edited by K.A.R.R. on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 pm

The member 'K.A.R.R.' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

'Coin Flip' :
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:31 am

This Spine man certainly sounded lovely. Not having a trained ear for music, though, Aderyn didn’t even notice he had gone out of tune. She merely sat there, listening in a near dream-like state, letting the music take her away. Hmm… Her mind wandered, and she considered asking if he took requests. That was a bit bolder than she was ready for, though. It may seem like she didn’t like his current songs, but she really did.

After another unusual power down, he started to talk about the good old days—which, really were that long ago in her own world. This made her chuckle to herself. Fascinating how timelines mashed together in this place. He began singing again, and Aderyn closed her eyes, enjoying the music until she heard the familiar sound of a toy plane. She opened her eyes, watching the plane, and hearing the poor child swear he wasn’t controlling it. Suddenly, it crashed into Nyreena.

The nurse-in-training jumped into action, darting over to the ghost. ”Nyreena, are you okay?” As much as she hated to disrupt the lovely performance, she had a duty to check on the other woman. She gave the Spine an apologetic look, and turned back to Nyreena. Though it was just a toy, there were always those freak accidents, and Aderyn wasn’t sure just how the poor woman’s body would handle such a thing.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:42 pm

“There were wires all around…
    “Electrical sounds…
    “Steam from their exhausts~
    “Gears and coils all criss-crossed… Ahhhh~, ah ha ha… Hey!”

His audience did enjoy the older tune! He knew that the band didn’t have enough time to play every song they had written in a single set (that was over a hundred years of music, after all, not all of which had been positively received), but surely they could have had a greater variety in their more recent shows? Ah well, too late to do anything about it now. He could always use his own logic in deciding future sets, however. That was just another burden for him to take care of himself now that he was on his own. Right now, he was content to just sing the song, showing off a puff of steam that rose from his mouth during the lyrics which called for it.

Not having Rabbit’s melodica didn’t turn out to be much of a problem. After determining that the tune would sound incomplete without the short tune Rabbit normally played between those few lines, he simply took a brief moment out of strumming his typical chords to pluck it. It didn’t sound correct to him, but it didn’t sound unpleasing according to his calculations and his small audience’s reactions. He couldn’t do that every time the song called for a melodica solo, but those brief spots were doable.

“Every-body's goin’ to the clockwork vaudeville,
    “Everybody wants to see the show…
    “People crowd the door, ‘n’ scream and shout for more!
    “While music and songs, fill the air~…”

Neeerrroooowww--WHAP!

Apparently it wasn’t only music and songs filling the air… At the sound of a small contraption soaring closer before finally striking one of his spectators, The Spine stopped playing and eyed the odd occurrence. Normally his protocols would’ve dictated that he continue playing, but that was during a larger concert with more people than this; the combination of the change in venue as well as the much smaller audience didn’t fit the conditions for initiating those protocols. Instead, he defaulted to the older ones for such an occurrence that were still present (if a little buried beneath the newer, more relevant ones). Since the question he would’ve asked had already been stated by another in the audience, he merely stood there calmly to see what the others’ response would be, glancing around to see if the toy plane’s owner was anywhere in sight as he did so.

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:39 am