Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Re: The Dimension to the Left

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Ah, so he was not a production line model then...Instead he was one of a kind, but not a prototype. Two others were also like him, one of a kind in their own way, but sharing each other functions, programming and power sources. "Interesting." With the most of their differences lying in personality, KARR's suspicions of them being production copies was partially cemented. Any programmer can put in a few different 1's and 0's in order to make an AI act more unique, but to this one, uniqueness lay more in one's capabilities and functions than personality. "I am uncertain however as to how a difference in personality and appearance can make one completely one of a kind. If you all share the same function, programming, and power sources as you claim, would you not all be fundamentally alike?" He replied, the contradiction tumbling about his processors.

You better believe his function was impressive! "Yes, thank you." KARR replied, though The Spine did not seem interested in inquiring further. Very well, he must have answered his inquiries to the best of his ability. Or so he decided. As for his titanium plated acquaintance, however, he seemed all too wiling to take on more questions. Though he also seemed eager to be on his way as well, given an interest in a map.

"I have a map in my databanks, although I am unsure if your operating system and hardware would be compatible for receiving a wireless download of it." KARR stated, "It is also too large for legible print out, unfortunately." The Spine would be left with a map made for the reading clarity of ants if he went with such a route. Therein, it left one other solution that the AI could come up with. "I can, however, project it onto my CRT monitors for you to view should the aforementioned methods fail." As for the questions, KARR certainly had not forgotten about them.

"I have other questions, yes." He added. "My scanners keep picking up energy readings upon your person that I cannot identify. Namely around the core of your chassis. What is it?" Likely it was some form of fuel that The Spine used, or perhaps it was something else entirely. Which reminded him... "I have also wondered, why are you called The Spine?" It was certainly not as straight forward as his own designation, to be sure.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:30 pm

”Fundamentally so, yes,” The Spine agreed. ”But only fundamentally.” He could have explained Hatchworth’s hatch or his own spine worked to more clearly illustrate their differences, but at this point it seemed irrelevant. Trivial. They were gone. He was more unique now than ever before. He didn’t ponder the fact much more than that, not wanting to tax his systems with any more additional parallel processes than necessary now that his systems seemed compromised. And it was just because they existed… The fall hadn’t actually damaged anything, he was just slow. That was going to get annoying fast… Hopefully it wouldn’t be permanent.

He tugged the brim of his hat slightly as if to say “no problem.” He couldn’t help but wonder if there were any other robots aside from the two of them in this dimension (the probability seemed phenomenal, considering that, apparently, entities from all over were drawn to this dimension), and, if so, whether they would be more similar to him or KARR. The pair’s apparent differences confused him. He might have asked about it, but he was uncertain of what to ask. All he could tell was that they were…well, different. He chose not to dwell on it. He could pointlessly fry his circuits mulling over stuff like that.

Compatibility… That pest was precisely why every Walter robot used QWERTY instead of Windows. It was likely safe to assume that KARR was correct; they certainly didn’t use the same operating systems, their programming languages and AI’s were literally worlds away from each other, and even if a direct connection via USB were possible, the large file size could take forever to transfer, assuming The Spine could even interpret the file type. ”That sounds like our best bet. Thank you.” Visual interpretation he could do. It shouldn’t be too hard to commit the image to his visual databanks. It wasn’t the best or most foolproof way, but it would have to do.

While listening to KARR’s additional questions, he approached the car to better see the map. A puff of steam wafted from between his lips from the sudden effort, and he paused next to the vehicle to await further direction. ”That’s probably my Blue Matter core you’re detecting. It powers me, and that’s about all I’m allowed to say about it.” The Walters had been protecting the secret to Blue Matter for ages. It would be going directly against his programming to say much more than he had on the subject. ”As for my name, it’s not an acronym like yours. I was named after the way I was built. My spine was my most distinguishing feature, so I was named The Spine.”
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 53

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Only fundamentally, he said. Apparently uniqueness was only 'skin deep' for this particular model, or so KARR decided. Regardless, here, so long as the rest of his musical group did not show up, he would be one of a kind. Although he could not help but wonder just how one could be unique with but a simple, subtle change as appearance or personality... The Spine seemed perfectly fine with it, so far as he could tell.

Again, there was one of those more human mannerisms, a silent tip of the hat. How many more of these responses had been programmed into this automaton? Already KARR's systems had counted out eight different physical movements that correlated with The Spine's responses. If he was but only one of three different robotic models, all of them would have to be one of a kind in order to be like him, most likely. Mass production took out the smaller details, smoothed them over and made them easier to copy and manufacture. "And you three were the only ones of your kind in your dimension?" He asked slowly, for clarification. If so, it made little sense to risk three one-of-a-kind machines for the sake of war. Even if the enemy technology was decimating any human soldiers that went into the field.

Then again, humans were never ones that were accused of making too much sense. Neither were they trustworthy nor capable of looking past their own inherently short lifespans for the greater picture.

After a moment of waiting for The Spine to decide, it appeared that looking at his monitors would be their 'best bet' for letting him get a good look at the map. KARR watched as the automaton walked around to him, steam puffing from his lips with the effort. Interesting, so this robot also required water in order to function, unless he had just witnessed a leak in one of its mechanical systems. His microscanners focused on that are in particular, finding that it was indeed, merely exhaust from his internal mechanical systems. Fitting, he figured, that the robot use steam given its date of manufacture. Although he could not help but wonder why he was not upgraded to something else during However, KARR's interest piqued at the mention of Blue Matter, which, unfortunately, would remain just that. It's own mystery nearly rivaled that of the components required to make a batch of his MBS plating. "Very well, The Spine." He relented.

Ah, so his spine was his most distinguishing feature, who would have thought. Another scan, and... Oh, this was interesting. From what he could gather, apparently the chassis was built to house The Spine's, well, spine. "I can see why, scans indicate your spine and chassis are two different systems entirely. It looks as if your chassis merely acts as a means of interface with the world, and you can be installed and removed from it rather easily." He replied, opening the driver's side door with a hiss of hydraulics.

Once it swung open The Spine's optics would find themselves engorged with a multicolored glow from within the cab. With the windows tinted out and little light getting in, KARR's dashboard was gleaming in reds, greens, and yellows from the LEDs. Switchpods flanked either side of the gull-wing steering wheel, each reading a different function, or an abbreviation of said function. The center console as well was covered in switches, along with the strip that sat on the support between the two t-top sun roofs which seemed to show even more vitals of the machine.

Knowing that his acquaintance would likely be distracted a little by all the different functions glowing in his optics, KARR spoke up, the vox sitting above the steering wheel flickering the same color as his scanner. "The monitors are to the far left on my dashboard." He instructed, the two screens coming to life with a flicker to show a detailed satellite map of the entire continent, before zooming in on the city, right down to where they were. "We are here, currently. Central Park." and here was as good of a starting place as any. "Portal City itself is rather expansive, nearly the size of an entire state from what can be compiled from the data available." He added.

Whatever The Spine wished to know regarding said map, he would need to speak up about it.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:07 pm

That depended on how general KARR was being… ”Not the only robots, but the only humanoid singing-and-dancing robots, yes.” There were plenty of other robots in his dimension--most of them Walter inventions, and most of them either…unstable, or just completely stupid altogether. And then there was GG… And then there was GG. If there was one thing he was “happy” about, it was never seeing GG ever again. Never. Little Steve was gone, too. Maybe this whole scenario wouldn’t be so bad after all once he figured a few things out. Being completely self-sufficient would certainly take some getting used to (hopefully it wouldn’t turn out to be completely impossible for him… Again, thank Walter for adaptability programming), but at least there were a few upsides to this whole dilemma.

KARR didn’t press the subject of Blue Matter any further, which was good; it saved time. And apparently he had been scanned again by his sophisticated acquaintance. If that was the norm around here, he would probably have to look into downloading and installing some sort of detection software… If he could find anything compatible. So, in other words, that was probably never going to happen. Oh well. ”Precisely.” He took a small step back as KARR opened his door, waiting patiently for the door to open entirely before leaning in to see the car’s bright, multi-colored console.

It was apparent from the interior that KARR could possibly be driven by a human, or at least carry passengers. Even so, The Spine decided that it was probably best if he didn’t set his whole weight on the vehicle--there were only a few kinds of cars which could handle his weight without being damaged, and he decided it wasn’t the best idea to find out if KARR was one of those or not the hard way--so he instead stayed standing next to the door, leaning in so he could see the monitor KARR had indicated while keeping a hand on the back of the driver’s seat to stabilize his center of gravity.

So they were in a park. The Spine nodded in understanding even though KARR probably couldn’t see it. ”I see,” he began, taking a brief moment to think. ”Are there any lodging establishments or mechanical repair shops nearby?” Those would meet his most urgent needs; he’d need somewhere to stay when idle, and somewhere he could go for help maintaining himself. (Not that he malfunctioned or broke down often, of course. He just wanted to make sure he wouldn’t be stuck if he ever did.)
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 pm

The only ones for singing and dancing... They all were one of a kind then, in terms of their combined function at least. Although their functions seemed to be rather limited. Then again The Spine and his now divided brethren were made in a far simpler time, a more sophisticated AI was likely out of the question until the proper developments could be made. "So all three of you were one of a kind, then. It makes me wonder, given you had said there were other robots as well in your dimension, why you three had been re-purposed instead of another robot model that would have been more suited for war." A robotic tank, for instance. The military had pressed interest in his own design because of his armor and his different offensive and defensive functions, which could be applied to their usage. A dancing and singing automaton however... KARR failed to see the connection between the two areas. "What the military desired in your world was more of a wasteful and asinine interpretation of a design and idea than what I would call functional for their purposes." The AI added, disdain lacing his synthetic voice.

As for KARR's scans, it appeared he once again was correct in his findings. Unsurprising given the precision and sophistication of his systems. However, for all of his remarkable capabilities, the AI was beginning to consider it time to go in for maintenance. At least with this chassis. Whether or not getting scanned without warning was the norm or not, The Spine would find that he was merely the target of a very curious machine. However, he would not need to worry about possibly damaging this one with his weight. Though he may not realize it, KARR's form was not exactly made out of your standard metals.

Just like he could see where his constantly pacing scanner was not present. For an instant the second monitor flickered, and like that one had an image of The Spine's face looking inward, along with his understanding nod, while the other still clearly depicted the map of the city. "There are." KARR replied, zooming out the map and changing it more to a view of roads and businesses instead of the detailed satellite imagery depicted earlier. "There is a place called the Stock-Pot Inn, located in the Residential District." He elaborated, plotting a route from the park to the inn soon after locating its building. "It is a brown and creme building on the corner with a bell atop the roof." Certainly should not be too hard to miss.

When asked about mechanics and repairs however, one location quickly came to his processors. "There is a place called the Chop Shop in the Business District. A red and pale yellow building with a sign out front, also situated upon a corner." He quickly offered, rather pleased with the place. "The staff there are very competent, I go there myself for maintenance when I need it. If you want more technical care, perhaps advanced or delicate systems you ask for the one named Zurg, he is a large purple alien with horns. Jo is more suited for mechanics and machinery." He gladly explained.

Again, a route was plotted from the park to this location as well. The way to the shop was much shorter than the way to the inn, as could be seen from the different plotted directions upon the monitor. Noticing this, KARR spoke up once more, the LEDs upon his vox flashing with each word. "...New arrivals here tend to experience a drain in energy and overall are weak until they regain their strength. Will you be able to get to these places on your own?"

KARR certainly remembered the first few days of his arrival on Portal Breach, along with having to operate with a large percentage of is systems being non-functional due to the energy drain.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:55 pm

”Well, for the first war a giant giraffe, my friends, and I were the only robots in existence who were both non-hostile and sophisticated enough to handle the strain of war. After that, however, I agree with you entirely,” The Spine added after KARR had expressed his opinions on the matter. Once again, it all came down to humans. And people thought they were crazy for thinking that robots would inherit the earth after the humans all killed each other off… ”I think my inventor would have liked you.” It had taken a whole three months to convince Peter I to take his robots to war; he’d thought, among many other things, that it was a gross misinterpretation of their design as well. Even when he was old and practically senile as they were shipped off to aid in WWI he still detested the idea.

It no longer mattered. He hadn’t been sent to war since he failed in Vietnam decades ago. He was more concerned with pressing matters at the moment.

The Stock Pot Inn. He committed the course to memory as it was displayed on the monitor. It didn’t take too long; he was finished by the time KARR explained and pointed out the Chop Shop. ”Zurg for advanced systems, Jo for mechanics; got it,” he confirmed, already working on memorizing this route as well. He did notice that the route to the mechanic’s shop was shorter as well. Once he was finished looking at that route, he pulled his upper half out of the car and straightened up, tugging down slightly on the front of his vest to smooth it out some.

So his systems were being compromised by the world after all. ”I had noticed that… One moment, please.” He paused, completely still aside from a few slight twitches.

INITIATE
    { f(syscheck.wxe) < basicsys.tsp ; powersys.tsp ; locomsys.tsp : > }
    {!-- Initializing… --:}

The results only took thirty seconds. (It usually took a third of that time.) ”I should be fine. Aside from some minor performance issues, my systems are basically intact, at least enough to get me where I need to go,” he assured. He wasn’t surprised; he had just been tuned up in preparation for the concert he had been in the middle of when he was pulled from his home dimension, and although his boiler wasn’t quite full, it was full enough to let him walk across town. Granted he may feel like an internet explorer doing so, but he would manage.

Feeling that departure was imminent, The Spine tipped his hat to the car once again. ”Thank you very much for the help and conversation. It was very informative, and a pleasure to meet you; you’re much more intelligent than many of the other robots I’ve met,” he said. That compliment was genuine; most of the other robots he knew were morons. ”Hopefully we’ll meet again someday.” Preferably under better circumstances…
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:50 am

So all the other robotics that could be used for battle were hostile... That still was not much an excuse, according to his logic. "I see. But why not find deactivated versions of their machinery and re-purpose them for fighting on the side of the military that wished to use you?" He wondered aloud. That would make far more sense than trying to re-engineer a trio of singing, dancing robots for war. Then again, the humans of the world The Spine came from did not seem to be very sensible...

His inventor would have liked him? The unexpected statement caught the AI off guard, rendering him silent for a few short seconds of thought. The Spine need not worry about his conversation partner becoming muted completely from his short surprise, however, as soon enough he had a reply in mind. "Your inventor must have been a very intelligent person." Which was a given, with how they had been able to make such a finely crafted and advanced machine during their era. He still could not help but marvel at the other machine's movements as he stood up upon having memorized the route, which was rather straightforward as he plotted the swiftest course to both locations.

Apparently he had noticed the drain on his systems as well. Soon after addressing it, The Spine went still and silent save for a few twitches here and there that denoted he was still online. Likely he was doing some form of self diagnostic to see how much energy still remained in his systems. Thirty seconds later, KARR's acquaintance returned to the world.

"Good." KARR affirmed. With one more tip of the hat however, it appeared their conversation would soon come to a close. Thanks was given for the information and conversation, although another sudden compliment was tossed his way. Apparently he was far more intelligent than many other robots he had come across. Given what dimension The Spine had just arrived from, KARR figured that nonsensical automatons were the norm by what was said. "Thank you, I enjoyed meeting you as well." Equally genuine, as KARR's experience with other robots had so far been less than satisfactory.

At least until he blasted them into the dirt, Knockout.

"Perhaps we will, for the size of this planet, the people upon it seem to be rather close knit." He should know, given how many people Judge Fear knew.
    The Spine
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by The Spine on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:59 pm

The Spine didn’t really have much of an answer to that. Robots of such a caliber had only recently invented at the time, but even so, war machines could have been invented, and probably would have defeated the copper elephants with much greater ease than the Walter ‘bots had. With no better response, The Spine just shrugged, his hands lifting somewhat with the movement as if in exasperation. ”Humans.” The entirety of the Calvacadium was defeated by one man and his green rock candy stash. Of course, anything sounds pathetic when you put it that way…

He actually smiled slightly at KARR’s response to the compliment. ”He was.” Based on many different factors, The Spine had determined that Peter A. Walter I was the greatest man he had ever known. Of course, he could’ve been programmed with a bias in that regard… But nobody cares ‘cause Peter I was amazing, human-y flaws and all, end of story. That Moreau chick wasn’t good enough for him anyway.

See, Rabbit? He’s a joy to be around. It was nice to have someone different to talk to for once, someone who he seemed to have at least a few things in common with. Or could at least hold a conversation with. ”See you then.”

He decided that he’d probably be better off investigating the Stock Pot Inn first. Although it was a further distance from the park than the Chop Shop, he knew he would need water and shelter sooner than he would need repair. (Assuming he really hadn’t been damaged when he had been thrown through the portal; nothing seemed wrong at the moment, but he could only hope that it would stay that way for a while.)

So, unless KARR had anything to add, he readjusted his guitar on his back, and began the walk to the inn. He might have run to save time, but decided it’d be best not to push his systems that hard just yet. Besides, he had more opportunities to familiarize himself with the local scenery this way. And now that he was going to be stuck here, that seemed like a pretty good idea.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Humans.

Apparently that was all he had to say on the matter. Either The Spine held not a clue why they did not try such a tactic, or he held nothing better that could be said regarding it. Even so, given humans were behind the war, the implementation of The Spine, Rabbit, and Hatchworth within it, and inevitably their usage later on, it was the most direct answer. Humans always were a source of strife and illogical decision making, as he knew from experience.

There was the ninth emote that KARR had witnessed from this model. A smile, although small, along with an agreement on the man being rather intelligent. Whether it be bias or not, the AI could not tell, and he had little time to inquire further. The Spine was soon to be off and about his business. "Goodbye, The Spine." He said, readjusting the guitar upon his back and going on his way. For a moment the AI pondered following after him, perhaps adding to their conversation along the way. However, so long as his body was not suited for the sidewalk and would draw unwanted attention from the ISO's, it would make for a rather awkward trip if he idled alongside.

So, with his conversation partner walking off, the AI closed his door with another hydraulic hiss and a click. He had nowhere important to be currently, as there was no contact from either of the Judges for assistance. Left once more to himself and his thoughts, his processors went to analyzing further his encounter with the newly arrived robot... Although not before his surveillance mode picked up another jogger heading his way, a male dressed in bright blue running attire, complete with a complementing sweatband upon his head. Much like the female from earlier, this one too sported a music player, attached to his arm with a cord leading up to the ears situated firmly within his ears.

Oblivious to what was lurking in plain sight, as were most humans. All it would take was a simple jamming frequency upon the battery output and... ZAP! The man fell head first upon the pavement with a yelp, grinding his face red as he skidded to a halt. He was merely another victim of faulty electronics, paying the price of not being more scrupulous with their purchases.

As Judge Fear had said, it was the little things.

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:51 am