170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

A Whole Cake to Myself?

Post by Njorth on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:19 am

DATE: MARCH 5TH, 2015
    TIME: APPROX. 3:30 PM

I still can't believe I'm doing this.

This was the thought that was constantly racing through Njorth's mind as he regarded to occupied kitchen stove before him, shaking his head. It was his birthday, and here he was making a whole cake just for himself. It was truly a selfish thing, and would it even be worth it? One whiff of the smell that was now permeating through the kitchen was more than enough confirmation for the alchemist. Yes, it was definitely going to be worth it. Already his stomach was growling in anticipation. The Nord didn't care to brag, but he really was a mean cook. Cooking, honestly, wasn't much different from alchemy. You follow a recipe, and if you follow everything to a T, good things happen.

But really, was he actually going to eat the whole thing by himself. That would be a bit selfish, wouldn't it? It was then that he remembered his trusty ingredient collector, Discord. Perhaps he wouldn't mind sharing this treat with him? Truth be told, Njorth hadn't even told him that it was his birthday today. Really, he didn't see much of a reason to say anything. Well, if anything, he was sure that the amalgam would appreciate the gesture that was half of his cake when he returned. Come on, just how many people out there didn't like cake?
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 30

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Re: A Whole Cake to Myself?

Post by Discord on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Speaking of a certain amalgam herb collector, guess who just finished his finding today?

Discord’s saddlebags were full of the ingredients he had been assigned to collect that day as he headed back into town then to Njorth’s Nookery. The scent that hit him the second he walked in the door was a much welcome departure from the bland, familiar smells of the herbs and fresh air he had been wallowing in all day; if he didn’t know any better, he’d say it was cake. ’I suppose alchemy and baking could go hand in hand…’ As long as none of the pastries would give him visions, he supposed he’d be fine with Njorth dabbling.

He removed his bags from his back and dropped them onto the front counter with a small thump. With Njorth nowhere in his direct line of sight yet, the draconequus started playing with the bell, impatiently ding-ing away a service bell rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody. It didn’t take much magical effort on his part to change that single, boring, repetitive note into the various chords required to play the entire song recognizably, so why not? Meanwhile, he continued wondering about that delectable smell…
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 12

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Ding!

There went the timer. It was finally time to take the cake out. Good. And so Njorth donned his oven mitts and removed his creation from the oven. The Nord was impressed with the results. It smelled even better after it was taken out of the oven. Now all there was left to do was let it cool a bit so he could put on the frosting. It was still in the fridge awaiting its time to shine.

It was then that he heard the front door to his shop open as well as the small thump of something being sat on the shop counter. That must have been his assistant returning, right on schedule, too. In fact, he was a little early.

"Is that you, Discord?" he called from the kitchen.
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 am

Discord stopped playing with the bell as he heard the familiar voice calling out to him. "The one and only," he called back, tipping his head back to put his nose to the air. Hmmm... That bakery smell seemed to have gotten even stronger since he had entered. That, or he was suddenly getting hungry. Either way, it was still an appetizing greeting.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were opening a bakery," the draconequus snickered as he lowered his nose. "What's the occassion? Or did you simply get an irresistible craving?" he asked. Honestly, it really was as if he were back at Sugar Cube Corner in Equestria, except for the potion-y undertones that accompanied the edible aroma. The two didn't actually mix very well... If the smell of baking hadn't been so overpowering and he hadn't been so used to the scents of alchemy by now, he might not have found the atmosphere to be nearly as tasteful. The two almost clashed; he liked it. "You should cook in here more often."
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:32 pm

"What's the occasion? I don't think I've ever told you, have I?" Njorth asked his assistant. "Well, if you really want to know, today is actually my birthday. I'm a bit beyond celebrating it at this point, but I at least wanted some sweets. That's understandable, right?"

The Nord grabbed the cake icing from the fridge. It would seem that he had left it in for little too long. It was a bit too hard to spread on the cake now, and would have to warm up.

"Damn, I guess I left it in there too long. Once I finally get this stuff on the cake, you're welcome to share it with me."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Discord just eyed Njorth at that question; he wouldn't be asking if he knew.

OH, OF COURSE. "Right! Obviously, of course, yes, I certainly knew that," the draconequus said quickly. It was a total lie, of course, given that he probably would've promptly forgotten to save the date even if Njorth had ever told him of the occasion. What? He wasn't a little pink horse; how could he be expected to remember every single birthday? "Perfectly understandable," he agreed. Cake was always nice, whether there was an excuse or not.

"Don't mind if I do!" He couldn't just turn down cake and awkward conversation, that would be unspeakable! Almost as unspeakable as having a "party" without the proper equipment. No worries, though, he could take care of that.

With a snap of his fingers, Njorth would find that he had suddenly and inexplicably donned a sparkly blue and orange party hat with a ball of green tinsel at the top. Likewise, Discord was also wearing a metallic purple and yellow party hat on the end of his goat horn.

Much better.
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 am

Njorth couldn't help but let out a chuckle at Discords realization that today was his birthday. The Nord knew that his assistant had no clue that his birthday was today, but he decided against saying anything. No need to guilt trip him over something so trivial. Njorth didn't care, honestly. It wasn't often that he celebrated his birthday anymore anyways, at least not with a party or anything like that. If anything, treating himself to sweets was enough.

"Hah, I knew you wouldn't be able to say no to cake," he joked. "I should have it finished soon. Hopefully. Maybe I should stick the icing in the microwave for a few seconds. Or maybe that's too risky?.."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Discord beamed a sparkling grin like a little angel. Of course he remembered Njorth's birthday, he was just told a few moments ago! He wasn't senile yet, he could remember things that happened just moments ago with no problem. "No rush," he said pleasantly, leaning against the front desk and readjusting his glittery party hat some.

As for any baking advice... "Whatever you think would be best," he replied oh-so-helpfully to Njorth's likely-rhetorical question. He didn't pretend to be a master pastry chef; he was no little pink party pony. He just brought the pretty hats. "Best not to put it in for more than a few seconds at a time if you're going to." Okay, so maybe he did pretend to be a chef every once in a while... At least nuking things he knew for a fact that he could handle. Granted frosting wasn't popcorn, but tomato-tomato.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:43 am