Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Nascence [Week 10 - 12]

Post by Kev on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Time: 5:15 AM
    Date: 03/23/0005

Everything outside of the cottage was dark, scarcely a noise to be heard. The chirp of a cricket, or the hoot of an owl perhaps. And soon enough, the sleepy mumbling of Kev as he started waking up. The alien stretched his arms out wide, though they didn't reach very far before bumping against the warm and furry body of Metus the Great Dane, a very broad chested dog. "Mm sorry..." He reeled his arms back in and sat up instead, Metus having looped himself around the pillow end of the bed sometime in the night. Kept Kev's head nice and warm, though! He reached back to give the dog's back a stroke, Metus snorting a few times before his eyes popped open and he started licking Kev's face. "Pffft..." Was Kev's weak protest, pretty much used to it by now. He waited until the dog was finished, Metus leaping down off of the bed to sit next to the bed and stare at the alien. Almost as if he was daring the alien to go back to sleep. Metus the alarm clock wasn't about to let him sleep away the day, no sir. "Mmngh..." He swung his legs around to the side of the bed, stretching until his back let out a satisfying crack.

A glance at the clock told him he'd woken up early again, which was pretty much the norm by now. Kev shuffled his way to the closet, pulling on his usual shirt and a jacket. A scarf was added as well, though for a moment Kev had to think about if he wanted a hat and gloves. Would it be too warm? Hmm...with a shrug, he grabbed them and shoved them into a jacket pocket, thankfully the jacket had not only quite a few pockets, but some large ones at that. Kev walked out of the closet and Metus' tail started to thump against the wooden floor. The alien opened the door, letting Metus go first, before shutting it behind the two of them gently. Carefully, he crept down the stairs with Metus, before crossing the living room to sit at the table. "Good morning, sir." He greeted, though his eyes were on the table, half shut. He was still a little tired, but perhaps a look at the newspaper would help wake him up before breakfast.

Last edited by Kev on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Nascence [Week 10 - 12]

Post by Fear on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:39 pm

And so it ends... The final stretch of Kev's training, the last hoorah. How quickly these months flew by. Nine weeks thus far of rigorous training and strict guidance, all nothing more than a blink of an eye. A few tumbling grains of sand in time's hourglass. Twelve weeks in total and soon the alien would no longer require his oversight, for the cadet will then become the rookie. It was almost... sobering.

"Good morning, sir."

"Good morning, cadet," a thunderous voice returned the greeting.

Today was different. Today broke the pattern. Today... the Dark Judge was sitting at the table and reading Kev's newspaper. No food was being prepared nor did the ghoul show any inclination to begin. Instead, Judge Fear was rather captivated by the Agony Aunt column. Look at all these sinners, asking for advice when it was right in front of their noses... Oh right, the cadet. Nearly forgot. Without looking up and continuing to flip through the pages, he hissed, "Mm... Thessse three weeksss ssshall be the lassst. They will be your hardessst and your mossst sssatisssfying. Alasss, my part in training you isss over, cadet." The fiend had been rendered obsolete, though he didn't feel jaded by it. There was a crinkle of the newspaper as Judge Fear flipped the page, browsing the laughable excuse of Portal Breach economics. "You have the toolsss," the ghoul rasped. "You know what isss to be done and what isss expected of you. From here on out, cadet, for the next three weeksss you are to sssupervissse yourssself. There isss the liquidissser on the counter and food hasss already been prepared in the cooler." Nothing else to say, the fiend returned to his reading. Ooh, the obituaries. His favourite part.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:16 pm

The alien's eyes widened, lifting his head to blink across the table where Judge Fear was sitting. Wow, he must have been really sleepy to miss that! Kev blinked at him several times before leaning back in his chair. "Sorry, didn't notice you there!" And he was reading the paper too? That was...different.  Kev placed his hands on the table and tapped his fingers, a few moments of silence passing between them as the Judge was sucked into his reading. Eventually, Fear spoke up again. They'd be his hardest and most satisfying weeks, would they? That was...interesting. It was like the last hurdles, though. No use giving up now. "...Wait...huh?" His head cocked to the side. Fear's part was...over? The Judge went on to explain, after 9 weeks of the training, apparently he would spend the last three supervising and instructing himself. Making meals would be fine, physical exercises... "Is your part completely over, sir? What about the mental exercises? And the spiritual?"

Alas, the Judge pointed out the tools, and obviously Kev was going to have to make his own breakfast. Good thing he'd woken up. "A-alright, sir. Do you...want anything?" He asked, before rising out of his seat and into the kitchen. The kitchen was a lot easier for him to maneuver in, compared to Fear. He opened the fridge, glancing around at the contents before pulling out the milk, yogurt, and container of strawberries. He toted the needed materials over to the blender and plopped the strawberries in first, before scooping out the yogurt and pouring some milk. That seemed about right! He put everything away again before he turned the blender on, mashing everything into a paste.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:49 pm

It begged to be asked: how did one miss spotting a towering, sickly-green corpse seated at the kitchen table? Perhaps it was better left a mystery. As it stood, there were more pressing matters to fret over. "Yep," responded a casual Judge Fear, not even bothering to look over the page. "Physssical, mental, ssspiritual; all done on my end. You ought to know the routine by now, cadet. You're an adult, you're a sssmart lad. You don't need an old corpssse to tell you what to do anymore." From 0530 to 2100 on the dot, Kev was to oversee every aspect of his training without noticeable interference. However, what was a little free reign without the incentive to stay honest? Pay attention, Kev, because you'll want to note these next few words. "At the end of your training you will be tesssted," the Dark Judge rasped. "It will be the hardessst challenge you have faced yet, and thessse three weeksss are crucial to your sssuccesssss." It was highly unwise to slack off, even for a day. As for wanting anything?

The ghoul shook his head. "I do not require sssusssstenance." Fairly obvious as to why.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:59 pm

You'd be surprised what one could achieve in a drowsy state of mind, Fear. The physical exercises, those could be done rather easily for his part. Mental and spiritual though? "But you're the one who conjures up the exercises for the mental part, sir. How do I...do that without you? Just...think it all up myself?" He asked, as he reached into a cabinet and withdrew his usual bowl, along with a glass. "And as for the physical...is it the same routine as the past three weeks? Repetition and set wise, that is." Before this point, the exercises had always changed. Were they to stay the same, or was it up to Kev to up the stakes for himself? To say the alien was thrown for a loop would be an understatement. Kev was an adult, and definitely not a brainless numpty. But...this was a real change in routine. In a few days, it wouldn't seem so daunting, but for now? It was intimidating. Especially when Fear told of a final test at the end of his training. It was the hardest one, and apparently these next three weeks were crucial to it. But how?

Kev turned the blender off and poured the pink mixture into his bowl, eventually grabbing a large wooden spoon and using it to rake it into the bowl as he glanced over his shoulder back at the Judge. "Alright, then." No food or drink for Fear! He seemed content to read his paper. Setting aside the dirtied dishes into the sink, he poured himself a cool glass of water before he turned to the table. Still a few minutes before breakfast 'technically' began... "I guess I won't be getting any hints about this final challenge, right sir? Trying to keep it a surprise and all that?"

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:50 pm

"And you know the mental exercissse well enough by now, yesss?" It wasn't hard to induce a psychic attack on the self. For nine weeks, everyday from Monday to Saturday, the alien had been forced to revisit his worst nightmares made manifest. If he didn't commit what he saw to memory, well... then someone hadn't been paying much attention to their studies, now, had they? "Physssical exercisssesss are the sssame, but don't be afraid to challenge yourssself," encouraged the fiend. He skipped over the gardening section of today's news and went straight for the editorial, where mortals with inkwells and disillusioned thoughts took to battle on paper. Salty bastards, these writers. Oh, hang on... There was a bit of distress coming from Kev's end. Frightened, apparently.

Good.

Again, the ghoul shook his head, eyes still plastered to whatever captivated his interest. Most likely a gruesome accident with plenty of death. "No hintsss, no freebiesss. If you're not feeling confident in yourssself now, you clearly have sssome work to do." Which meant putting your nose to the grindstone and pushing everything to their limits. Think you're up to the challenge, cadet?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Oh yes, those mental exercises were practically committed to memory by now. The physical assault, then the mental, and then the spiritual. The physical and the mental were both easily conquered by now, not even needing the use of any shield or bubble to protect himself. The spiritual...he was on his way. And he certainly didn't pass out anymore! He just needed to work towards getting over his apprehensiveness about the future. Something he was grappling with even now, apparently. Sure, it wasn't a future of nukes, but it was a future that made up his next three weeks. And that final test was probably the decider, for if he ultimately passed or failed. "Alright sir. I will try to replicate them to the best of my abilities." He'd had the Judge there for every step of the way, spent most of his day obeying the Judge, to suddenly be given the reigns was strange. He had no problem remembering what needed to be done, the issue was more to do with managing time and his progress. So the physical exercises were to be the same, but he was encouraged to push himself. "Alright. I'll push myself when I can, sir." At least for this, he felt like he could manage it. Who better to know where he would fail or succeed, than him?

Actually, as the alien noted that breakfast had finally begun and slid his fingers into the paste, he came to the conclusion that maybe this wouldn't be so bad. If he could survive looking after Blathers, and obeying the Judge and his orders all this time, surely he could tell himself what to do for three weeks. He knew the routine by heart, he could do this. The mental part would be tougher, but it always was. Spiritual was always the easiest, though talking to himself to come to the conclusions he needed to come to was...well, going to be weird. The alien decided to focus on his breakfast for now, though his attention was drawn to the Judge again. Yep, he figured he wouldn't get any freebies for what was to come at the end of all of this. That would have to be left to his imagination. Though Kev's head tilted to the side. "I feel that I can do this, sir. Whether I'm confident in myself or not. It's just...a change to get used to. Soon it will be the norm." In the end, this adjustment period would be over with and he'd be able to lead himself through his exercises in his sleep. The alien continued to absorb his food, taking in the nutrients, before withdrawing his hands and wiping them on a napkin. He focused on his water for a while, letting silence settle between them as the Judge was reading his paper. Eventually, Kev grabbed everything up and cleaned the dishes. From the bowl to the blender, he cleaned until everything was practically sparkling. Everything was set aside to dry, the alien casting a glance at the clock. Just about time for his physical exercises. Kev turned to face the Judge. "I will...see you around, sir. Have a nice day." The Judge probably needed a break anyways.

The alien turned to the french doors, opening them before turning and patting at the outside of his own thigh. "Come along, Metus!" It was time to jog, friend. The Great Dane lifted himself off of the wooden floor and padded over to the alien with an eager woof. Kev gave the Dark Judge one more glance before he shut the french doors behind himself, and followed the large black dog. It was time to exercise.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 pm

A jog around the property was first, though the chilly air soon saw him wrestling to grab his hat out of his pocket and pull it on while running. His hands were alright, but with the sun still down, he needed something on his head. Otherwise, the jog went by as it usually did, around the property until he was back in the backyard. He leaned forward, hands on his knees, and panted as he looked over to Metus. "Alright, Metus. You can go back in with Fear if you want. I'll call you if I need some water, okay?" With a tail wag as his good bye for now, Metus was apparently more interested in exploring the property then going inside the cottage again. Probably looking for dead things. The dog disappeared into the bushes, leaving Kev alone to start his exercises. Stretches, the dynamic stretches were first.

Kev settled the soles of his boots into the grass, stamping some of the blades down as he got into position. Feet spread out, he held his arms out and started his circles. Usually he did the arm circles for 100 seconds for each 'cycle' of circles...starting small, then medium, then large. Then, all of it but circling in reverse. As Kev reached the 100 second mark for his first set of circles though, he hesitated for a moment before continuing on. Fear said to push himself, right? The alien's count increased, and it was only once he'd reached 130 that the circle grew and he started the next set. He kept this rate up for all of his arm circles, performing each of them for 130 seconds rather then 100. By this point, the alien could swing his arms around in a circle in his sleep, so even with the added time, there wasn't too much fatigue to be felt. Kev rubbed and grabbed at the muscles of his arms for a moment, brows furrowed. Did that mean he ought to up the stakes more? Or would it cut too much into the rest of his stretches? His arms, which were once noodly, were now fuller. Kev didn't exactly look like a body builder...but when he rubbed his hands over the length of his arm, he didn't feel mostly bone. Instead, he felt taut muscle rippling beneath his scales and through his sleeves. That was enough feeling himself though. Whether he'd challenged himself for the arm circles or not, he had to move on. He only had his inner clock to time himself with.

Leg swings were next, and Kev placed his arms upon his hips as he lifted his right leg, swinging it in a wide arc like a pendulum. Ten sets of ten for each leg was the norm...maybe an additional five swings on top of each, for each leg? That'd be a total of 210. With a small nod to himself, he resumed counting as his leg swung, pausing only once he'd finished each set, and only for five seconds. His breathing was paced out evenly, no large gasps of breath or hyperventilating here! Eventually one leg was complete, and so he switched legs. The left leg swung like a pendulum, the alien intent on completing every step of his physical exercises. Eventually that leg was complete as well, and Kev stood flatly on both legs, giving the outside of his thighs a brief rub. What was next...perp squats! Right, right. The alien spread his legs out further, about shoulder length, back kept straight and shoulders even enough that one could put a scale on them. Six sets of ten was normal...perhaps five more for this one as well. In fact, five more for all of his exercises seemed to be a good way to up the exercises without pushing too hard or setting unrealistic expectations. Perhaps he could up it by another five every couple of days too? The alien's mind buzzed with ideas as he began his squats, his form by now nearly perfect. With his breathing paced out and doing the pauses as he had to, he was able to complete the stretches without tiring himself out. For a moment, he racked his brain. Leg lunges, yes that was next. His feet shuffled closer and the alien folded his hands behind his head neatly. Six sets of ten for each leg, with an addition set of five for each leg. Yes, that sounded pretty good. He began, lunging forward on one leg and his knee didn't once touch the grass. This form was almost perfected as well, by this point. With no instructor watching like a hawk, at least not where he could see, Kev's eyes remained focused on the ground, and looking down at his own body. Looking for any mistakes he had to correct. A straighter back, as his back was beginning to lurch forward...extra care not to let his knee touch the grass, it almost brushed a blade that time...eventually the lunges were finished as well, and he lowered himself to sit on the ground for a moment. "Phew..."

Next were crunches, and then push-ups. Already sitting on the ground, the alien leaned back and settled himself flat across the grass. 200 crunches...maybe 220 this time? He raised himself up slightly into a crunch, and then back down, before lifting up again. "1...2...3..." He was usually able to make swift work of the crunches, it was usually better that way. He remembered when he'd waver and struggle to lift himself up, now it was much easier to crunch. Not too easy, of course. Not with the way Judge Fear usually upped the exercises each three weeks. But he didn't struggle and pant like he was about to die. Crunch after crunch, the alien counted. Around the halfway mark, he paused for a quick breath before he continued. But eventually... "218...219...220!" His body flattened across the grass, muscles twinging here and there. Phew...the alien's body rocked for a moment before he rolled himself over onto his stomach, assuming position. 100 push-ups...hmm perhaps 110. Kev lifted himself slightly before he lowered himself down to the ground. "Down..." He pushed himself up again, only his palms and the tips of his toes touching the grass. "Up, 1." He lowered himself back down again, and then back up once more. "Down, up, 2." Only 108 more to go...

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 pm

"Down...up...109...down, up...110." The alien flattened himself across the grass, arms spread widely. He was definitely feeling the burn, but his arms would see no break. Not today, nope! Kev picked himself up off of the grass and stooped over, looking around until he found the 21 kilogram dumbbells waiting on a grassy pile. He had no instructor to roll them over this time, so he had to find and retrieve them himself. Kev grabbed each weight in a hand. There was no weight addition this time, a little surprising. Would this be the highest he was going to go? Perhaps he'd add five more reps after it had been doubled several weeks ago? Hmm...on second thought, perhaps ten. Ten more reps. Yes, good, great! With a final nod to himself, he got started.

As always, he started with the side lateral raise. Kev took position and began, and as with the stretches, this part of the training was easy to remember. He knew these exercises like the back of his hand, and so he moved through them at a brisk rate. From the side lateral raise, to the alternating dumbbell curve, the standing overhead dumbbell triceps extension, during this one he didn't let the dumbbell graze his head at any point. He moved on to the alternating dumbbell front raise, and then the standing bent-over two-arm dumbbell triceps extension was last. By this point, the sun had already rose up into the sky, and Kev placed his weights down as he basked in the sunlight for a moment. Mmm...his eyes closed and he raised his head up, though eventually he had to move on. He nudged the weights to the grassy pile, they would be used again tomorrow, and he moved on to the tree. Hanging among the branches of the tree was the barbell, rubber grips attached to it. Kev glanced around, almost expecting Judge Fear to show up, before he grabbed a hold of the grips and began to perform his pull-ups. He no longer struggled with the pull-ups. His form still wasn't exactly perfect, and it was far from his best exercise, but his arms didn't shake or threaten to give out. Though the fatigue might make him fall...it was only now, in the middle of his pull-ups, that he realized that he was thirsty! Maybe after the pull-ups he could take a small water break. All he'd have left after that was the bench press, then it'd be time for a chore. Six sets of ten were to be done for this exercise, and he added another set of ten onto it. He was used to the regiment changing on him anyway, it seemed a shame to keep it the same at this point!

Taking his time and not rushing through it, the pull-ups were eventually finished, and both feet settled on the grass before the tree as the muscles of his arms throbbed and twinged from the exercise. "Metus? Wherever you are, I'd like a bottle of water, please!" Kev turned around and rested his back on the bark of the tree, slowly sliding down to rest himself along the ground. Ooh yes, he needed a break. Kev could hear some noise in the distance, a door opening and closing, and eventually a large black dog came bounding his way over to the tree, tail wagging like a proud flag. The dog came over and placed the cold water bottle in Kev's waiting hands, earning a few well earned pats before the alien opened the bottle and consumed the water happily. "Thank you." The dog gave him a lick in response, before he settled himself across some of the tall grass, head raised high as he watched the alien during his break.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Eventually, Kev screwed the top back onto his bottle and held it out for Metus to take. "Here you go." The Great Dane made a deep 'woof' before he gently grabbed the plastic into his mouth. The dog looked back up at Kev, as if asking a question. Would Kev need the water anytime soon? "You can take it back in, and I'll call you if I need it again." Kev answered the silent question, giving the dog's pointy ear a fond scratch before Metus took off, using those long legs to his advantage. Kev turned about to face the tree and stood on his tip toes, lifting the barbell off of the tree branches and carrying it over to the makeshift bench press system they had set up. These exercises, he was a bit more apprehensive about upping his exercise. He was used to having a spotter, after all. The alien may have gotten used to the exercise, six sets of ten with the weight of Biddy and Percy, but he still needed a brief rest halfway into the exercise. Usually he'd hand it off to Fear, take a breather, and then start again. He was on his own this time, and he'd have to work through it without a break. He wasn't about to pile on more work if he wasn't sure he'd finish it. Now how did Fear call those dogs...

"Biddy, here Biddy! Here girl! Here Percy, come here!" Kev clapped his hands together and made several 'mwah mwah' noises in his attempts to lure the animals close. Biddy came lumbering to him easily, leaning on his legs and looking up at him with a happy lolling tongue. Kev rubbed at her sides, but looked around. No sign of Percy! "Peeercy! My wittle baby boy, where aaaare you?" No seriously, where was he? He continued to rub her thick fur for a few more moments before he side stepped away from her. "Stay here." She obediently settled her butt on the ground. While Kev began to look high and low. He searched a few of the holes the dogs had dug, and only found Oscar basking in some cool dirt. He also searched around the perimeter of the cottage, in case he was in the shade! And yet, the dog was not...where could he be? Kev changed routes, making his way for the stone fence, hoping that doing a perimeter around the whole property might yield results...only to find a wriggling butt. The dog's face was firmly directed at the bottom of the fence, where he was slobbering on...a rock. "What is with you and rocks?!" Kev asked rhetorically as he approached, looping both arms underneath the dog's armpits. Percy let out a startled whine, but once he saw who had grabbed him, he merely gazed up at Kev with a dopey, happy look on his wittle face as Kev carried him back to the bench press. He easily set the dog in one of the buckets, Percy sliding down a bit until he could comfortably nom his rock. Kev walked around the other side and pointed at the bucket. "C'mere girl, get in the bucket." Biddy tilted her head at Kev before approaching gently and stepping one paw after another inside the bucket, slowly and carefully, until she had plopped herself inside, furry body overflowing out of it. There were a few parts of the bucket that were beginning to warp from this exercise...

Settling himself into position, Kev grasped the rubber grips and began. He kept a slow, but steady pace as he lifted the barbell up and down. Around the halfway point, his arms seemed to be begging for a break, but he refused the break. Not until he finished! He trudged through it, lifting that bar and occasionally glancing back to where Judge Fear was usually looming over. Wonder what the Judge was doing now...eventually, his last set often was complete, and he placed the barbell in it's stationary position with a slight huff of relief. He sat himself up and rubbed at his arms for a moment before approaching the buckets. Percy was easily lifted out, while the other bucket was held still so Biddy could climb out. Instantly the dog was off and racing back to the sheep, but Percy stuck around, looking up at Kev. "..." Begging eyes seemed to get larger. "You want me to throw the rock, don't you." A little nub of a tail began to wag. Kev bent down on one knee and held a hand out. "Alright, but just this one time! I have chores." A rock was placed in his hand, oozing spit and with a few chips where the dog had been chewing. Kev gave it a brief, disgusted look before he chucked it as far as he could, Percy waddling after. Now was time for a chore! But what chore could he possibly do...

Kev wandered the grounds for a moment, eyes scanning and looking for any sign of disrepair, any mess. So far, everything was looking pretty ship shape. The barn was clean, the animals were clean, the greenhouse was sparkling and thriving...the fence was in one piece. Kev looked to the cottage itself, head tilted. The outside of the windows were coated in a green film, must be some pollen, and the floor of the front porch looked rather sandy...looks like he found his chore! Kev jogged inside the cottage and began searching, looking for a broom, a cleaning rag, a bucket, and some cleaning solution. It was time to make the outside sparkle.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:53 am

Once the porch and the patio were swept and the outside of the windows were clean, he went inside and cleaned the inside of the cottage windows as well. Once the outside had been cleaned and sparkled in the sunshine, it only highlighted the dirt and dust on the inside of the windows. There was no use just cleaning one half of the windows! He scrubbed, rubbed, and dug out all of the dirt from the crevices of the windows, then gave the inside of the cottage a good sweeping as well. By the time he had finished, it was about time for lunch! Which was good, because he had worked up an appetite.

He strolled into the kitchen, glancing at the dining table as if expecting Fear to still be there. He must have gone downstairs to the cellar. There was a brief twinge of loneliness, though he quickly reminded himself that Fear needed space for himself. They couldn't be joined at the hip! The blender was grabbed out, and the alien began to rummage through the fridge. A filet of cooked chicken breast was grabbed out, the alien opening the bag to sniff the cooked, slightly seasoned chicken inside. "Mmm..." It smelled delicious! He tilted the bag's opening into the blender and slid the chicken inside, allowing that to blend before poking about in the fridge again. He grabbed out lettuce, berries, and a bit of tomato, quickly scooping the chicken into a bowl and mixing all of that up to put it into another bowl. Both bowls were placed onto the table, and for a moment, he was tempted to give himself some fruit juice. It wasn't exactly against the rules, right? Fear just gave him water all the time...shrugging, he decided to stick with the water. Just to be safe. If Kev could have fruit juice whenever he wanted, why would it be a reward? He sat at the table, and began to absorb his food. He had thirty minutes.
    ---
    Lunch was consumed and dishes were clean, which meant it was now time for the mental exercises. The alien was almost skittish as he returned outside, finding a clear spot of grass in the meadow to stand. Not having the Judge across from him felt so off, and even more so was the lack of his presence. No chill, no shiver, no sign that the world would soon fall away. Really, it should feel good, right? The Judge's presence before he used his powers were usually so...intimidating. And yet...it just felt a little empty out here, without it. No matter...there were exercises to do! Kev took a deep breath in, body relaxing, and he focused. Focused hard. His eyes closed, and for a moment all he could see was just black, the back of his eyelids. He could hear birds chirping, feel the sun beating down on his scales, the light howl of the wind as it breezed by. Focus...

It took some concentration, but it soon melted away and gave rise to a foggy image that was steadily clearing. The inside of a castle, Mr. Dark's, and there stood the figure himself, pale and evil. Kev stared up at him with a level look, no shield was summoned. Mr. Dark turned his gaze to Kev, yet no decay ensued. The alien turned his gaze away from Mr. Dark, as though he were a mere pest not worthy of attention. Really, he wasn't. This was just history. The past. It had no hold nor bearing over him, and eventually the castle's image shimmered away, taking Dark with it. The next to appear was a dark crimson figure, thick and muscular with large horns and a sword. The demon smirked and sauntered to Kev, wielding the sword and moving to stab him, though the sword might as well have been intangible, as it went right through Kev's chest and brought with it, no pain. Kev stood tall, puffing his chest out slightly as he stared at the demon, and past him. The demon faded away, nothing more then a bitter memory. With his disappearance came the appearance of an army of doctors, wielding several sharp tools. With ugly grins, the doctors ascended on Kev, wielding the weapons high and attempting to slice him open. Their tools were as successful as Hellboy's sword. Their images faded away as well, as they had all been defeated weeks ago. They were more of a warm up then anything. Hardly worth a second thought. Not when he had already made peace with them.

More people appeared, several figures in fact, and as always...the first was Rhys. Though when the boy opened his mouth, the words he spoke were quiet. Barely a whisper, and inaudible. This continued for all of them, each one opening their mouths. Overcast, Swindle, Harry, Blade, Kefka, Terra, Megamind, and Sonia...their lips (or lip equivalent) had parted and gave way to nothing more then a harsh whisper. Their speech once stabbed at his very core, hurting as much as any injury. Now? Now their words no longer hurt, and after each had said their peace, they disappeared. There was nothing more for them to do or say, and he had no words for them. He already knew that he was over them. He had accepted them and their experiences, the words that they had said. He accepted this situation and he was at peace with them. But how would he do for the next phase of the mental exercises? How would he do in replicating it? Kev prepared himself, a white bubble forming around him, as he concentrated. There was a lot to remember, in order to do this like Fear would...

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:36 am

For a few, tense moments...all he could sense was a void. There were no sensations, no light, no sense of touch, nothing to hear...nothing. Nothing at all. Kev's fists tightened, and he furrowed his brows as he concentrated harder. Steadily, it came to him. The blackness gave way to the structure of a city, one that was on fire. Buildings were falling apart, crumbling, and fires licked the streets, along with the glowing Phazon. Everything, everything was coming apart.

BAM, BAM!

Kev had initiated this part of the training, and he would need to see it through to the end. Once this part got started, there was no stopping it. Kev's eyes remained attentive, safe behind the shield he had bubbled up for himself, and he ticked down everything he saw. City ruins, destruction, Phazon, people screaming and running for their lives...and among those people, his very children. They seemed to spy their father, as they began to run towards the alien in the bubble, hands waving as they called. For help...for an explanation...it would never be heard, because something seemed to hit them. The three young Kryptonistanians rendered to pieces. Kev didn't flinch, nor tear his gaze away even as green blood dripped down his shield. He had long ago accepted this depressing detail to be a fact. In his innermost thoughts, he checked off a little mental list, making sure he had captured everything Fear created in this. Before he could wonder what was next, he could hear the pained bleats of a sheep. Of course...Mary was next. Dear, sweet Mary. The sheep attempted to pull herself out of the Phazon, eventually collapsing as the poison ate through her body. His fingers curled tightly, though his demeanor was calm otherwise. The sheep...the dear, sweet little sheep. She didn't deserve to die like that, no...but there was nothing he could have done. And there was no use worrying or being upset about something he had no power over, right?

Why didn't you help her?

Though that beautiful voice could sometimes make it hard to think otherwise. Leslie appeared next, staring hard and past the shield to glare at the alien within, the alien who she thought let her sheep die. Kev brought a hand up, briefly brushing his fingertips over the silhouette of her from outside of his shield. Leslie, the woman he loved, yet this wasn't exactly Leslie. Because when Leslie had returned and he informed her of what had happened to Mary...she didn't once accuse him of being at fault. She accepted that Kev had been powerless to stop Ridley's attack, no more able to stop his attack on the city then to prevent the death of Mary. Leslie, the real Leslie, understood that, and even as this version of Leslie walked into the Phazon and began to dissolve into it, a very gruesome sight...Kev didn't get upset. Because Leslie was...already gone. Leslie had been gone for over a year, the longest she had ever been gone before. He had received no word from her. She was gone and...he could accept that. It wasn't exactly great to accept, but he had to. That was the reality of the situation. He couldn't...just wait for her, forever. Not like this. Not in a way that only hurt himself, in the end. Leslie wouldn't want that. She wouldn't want him to weep for her forever. She wouldn't exactly welcome him leaping after the first maiden he saw or anything either but...she would want him to move on. He pulled his hand away from the bubble, eyes level at her disappearing figure before glancing upwards to watch the Nuke drop.

...Bang!

A bright flash illuminated the sky, and a plume of dust erupted into the air. He had seen this sight ten times over, and barely flinched inside of his bubble. Eventually, the dust cleared. His shield had actually managed to withstand the damage of the nukes, this time. Kev overlooked the damage done to the city, with a quiet gaze. His shield withstood it because he accepted this. He accepted that the actions he had put into motion, could lead to this. He could have backed out, and instead he kept going? Why? ...Because he could prevent this. He could stop this from ever happening, protect the people he loved. Deep down, he always thought he could prevent it. While he could prevent it by leaving Fear, that would still leave these weapons in the claws of Ridley. And what would that solve? Even if Kev rallied some sort of march to Ridley's, would it even matter? Would it work? Possibly not. But this could work. This could be avoided. And if it couldn't? Well...the Breach certainly entangled with worse. And Kev could still help, however he could. There was no use fighting something like this. It was his future, and he couldn't fight it anymore then he could his past. This chapter was already written, it only needed to be put into print. He could not fight it. There was only...acceptance.

The jingling of chains sounded, and Judge Fear approached, arms spread wide towards the alien. As always, Judge Fear's hands and feet were shackled and tethered by chains. Kev stepped forward to join him, before remembering his shield. He put his hands on the wall of his bubble, seemingly puzzled, as he stared back at the Judge. How could he embrace him without letting this thing down? Before he could answer it, the exercise had concluded, as everything faded and Kev became aware of his surroundings again. The middle of the meadow, and a glance at the sun told him that he had not completed the whole three hours. For a moment, he sat on the grass and rubbed his temples. Wow, that was a lot of work...no wonder Fear was fatigued. That combined with psychic surgery? Yeesh...a few seconds rolled by before he picked himself up. He still had time to kill...he should probably spend it doing the exercise again. Mind made up, he concentrated and began again.

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 am

The sun’s position in the sky indicated that three hours had passed since he began, which meant it was time for his spiritual training. Kev picked himself up and tottered over to the creek bed, rubbing his temples all the while. Three hours of forcing yourself to go through intense mental training…Gods, he didn’t know how Fear could do it, 6 times a week! …Well, it seems Kev would have to learn how, for the next three weeks. Legs folded up beneath himself, the alien settling down on the grass and setting his elbows down upon his knees. The babble of the creek provided a nice white noise that alleviated his headache, though he soon found himself staring back at the empty space before him. A space that would usually be occupied by Fear.

So…how does one walk themselves through a spiritual discussion to achieve answers and ideas for how to improve? Kev scratched at his chin idly, eyes still centered on the empty space, as he pondered. Well…usually Fear started this off by stating what Kev had done wrong. Though, every run of the training saw him working his way through to the end, even maintaining his shield all the way to the very end. Though, that shield kept getting in the way of embracing Fear…a thought popped up suddenly. Kev had, by now, conquered the first two thirds of his training enough to muscle through them without the shield, right? Maybe…maybe that was what he had to do, for this last section. The shield was very important, reinforcing it and creating more protective layers…but you can’t hide behind a shield forever. Eventually, you had to face things without something nifty to hide behind, and perhaps…that was the point. Kev could get acclimated to everything with the shield, use it to better himself and protect himself from the worst of it while he was still coming to grips with everything…and then he had to go through it all without the shield, and still come out on top in the end!

Kev leaned back to flop himself down upon the grass and stare up at the clouds, enjoying the gentle breeze and the feel of the grass. Truthfully…it was one thing to conquer his physical woes to the point that they wouldn’t have power over him, and to banish the words of people he had lost…another thing entirely to walk into the belly of the beast without a failsafe. In that last section, the city was overrun. Phazon, everywhere, and every time he went through it unshielded he became that monster. The sight of blue tinged talons and glowing blue veins was enough to make him pause. On top of everything else, becoming that was intimidating. But…if he could weather the pain of rotting all over again, being stabbed through the chest, and being sliced and operated on…surely he could get over looking like that thing for a little while. It wasn’t like he was really infected with Phazon again. ‘Boo hoo hoo I look all gross and blue’, no, Kev could suck it up! He could suck it up, and deal with looking like that, deal with witnessing all of that death and peril, because the important thing was that it wasn’t real, and it was temporary. All of it, was temporary, no matter how sharp the pain seemed to be at times. It was only pain, in the end. Pain was a part of being alive, and to complain or feel awful about it was as useless as being upset about the feeling of hunger, or exhaustion. If he could weather everything else…if he could get over everything else, he could get over this. Go through the entire mental exercise without using his shield to show that he really had conquered it, all of it.

Hmm…but how to go about it? If he started from the very beginning without using his shield like that, he might pass out, from being used to the shield. Maybe, as the weeks progressed, he could find a spot during the training to let down his own shield and go from that point on with no shield. Surely, in the course of three weeks, he’d be able to go through it entirely without using his shield! Kev let out a deep breath, continuing to gaze up at the sky as he watched the clouds move and the sun steadily move across the sky. His headache had, by now, ebbed away. This part of the training was perhaps the strangest…but it was also oddly relaxing.
    ---
    When his spiritual training had run its course, and the sun was beginning to descend, the alien picked himself off the grass and went into the cottage. This next part would be perhaps the least changed, as he always read his book alone. Kev grabbed his materials and settled himself into the living room, everything set on the coffee table as he sat himself down. He found himself joined by Oscar, who laid himself down along the side of Kev’s thigh and begged several times during Kev’s reading for some attention. Slightly distracted, Kev scratched behind Oscar’s back ear as he read on about Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. After reading through his chapters and writing down the definitions of any words he didn’t recognize, he flipped back through the chapters and leafed through them. It was interesting to reread how Elizabeth and Darcy had changed over time, and especially with such a first meeting. Looking back however, the two of them seemed to be well fit together. The both of them seemed to reject the norms of their society and the times they lived in, with Elizabeth critical of how women were expected to marry and Mr. Darcy being fonder of a blunt sort of attitude. He was straight forward, if Mr. Darcy didn’t like you, you would hear of it. Elizabeth could be blunt too, but in a more subtle way. Perhaps it just seemed subtle because of the flowery way the people talked in this, but she still seemed to be a bit low key compared to him, while also getting her point across. The both of them were rather smart too, and introverted in some ways. They preferred to keep to themselves or anyone they were close to, rather than a crowd of people making idle, polite small talk.

Eventually, Oscar jumped down and Kev closed his books. Ten minutes until dinner time…hmm, usually Fear would be making food. Since Kev was the one making it, perhaps he should start now? Dinner was usually soup, and soup wasn’t usually grounded up into a blender. Cracking and stretching his body all around, Kev walked across the way into the kitchen and peeked into the cabinets and cupboards. A bowl, a pot, a wooden spoon…aha! He found a shelf with several cans of soup, peeking through them to see what he was in the mood for. Tomato? Hmm…naaah. Clam chowder? Maybe tomorrow, that looked rather creamy. Chicken noodle? Almost…chicken broth, there we go! He was rather in the mood for chicken today. The can was grabbed, a can opened fished out of the drawer, and he popped the can open. The contents were poured into the pot and he set it on the stovetop, peering down at the controls before turning it to medium heat. Steam wafted up from the liquid, Kev almost basking in the heat emanating from the stove. Focus, focus! He’d been so used to Fear doing the cooking that he felt a little clueless. There was that attempt to make chicken soup with Skyler that one time…ah, but this is simple. Boil the liquid! Hoisting the wooden spoon like it was a weapon, the alien began to stir the broth as it began to boil, waiting until there was a full boil going on before he turned the heat off. The broth was poured into his bowl, using the wooden spoon, and Kev fished out a few chunks of ice to put in his soup to cool it down. He set the bowl down at his place at the table, grabbing a glass and filling it up with cool water before he sat down. Kev glanced down at his food, giving the broth a brief sniff, before he gently slid his fingers in. Mmm…creamy!

Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:06 am

The broth was fairly easy to soak up into his pores, since it barely had any solids in it. He couldn't put aside the odd feeling that something was missing, though. Every time Judge Fear made soup for dinner, it seemed to have something extra. Whatever it was, it was always the same thing. Was it a seasoning? Or was it...dead corpse skin flakes? The very idea made him shudder, and he brushed it off. That was disturbing to think about, so he pulled his hands out of the soup and 'drank' some water instead. Ah yes, taste that water. That was some good water. Kev glanced around the kitchen and noted that aside from the animals, and a slight scratchy noise upstairs that was probably Marvin, the cottage was...quiet. Almost empty. Where exactly did Judge Fear decide to spend his day? Did he go to see Livewire? Not too likely, since he couldn't use his shadow powers in the sun. Did he slink off to kill hikers in the woods? Kev wouldn't put it pass the ghoul. Fear had warned that he would be watching, and Judge Fear would probably grade his performance for the day. Judge Fear wasn't one to forget, and surely he would remember when he asked Kev how many merits he thought he deserved. Bleeding liberal indeed...

Though how had Kev done for his first day training by himself? It had been really bizarre, that was for sure. Considering that he had spent his last several weeks training with a spirit haunting a corpse that was intent on destroying all life...yeah, it had to have been pretty bizarre. Kev had fixed his own food, it really wasn't too hard when the majority of the food was pre-cooked. He had gone down a mental checklist of what he usually did, starting with the physical training and ending with the reading. He tried to challenge himself and try as hard as he could to achieve and set specific goals. He had hardly spent any time today twiddling his thumbs and watching grass grow. He was pretty sure that he had at least done a good job for his first day, but Judge Fear would be the...judge of that. Kev picked up his bowl and glass, bringing them over to the sink and got them nice and sudsy, washing them up. He dried them with a hand towel, really reaching in there to dry the crevices, before finally setting them on the shelf. The hand towel and washcloth were wrung out and left to dry, as the alien took his seat at the kitchen again. Any moment now...judgement would come.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 am

"I will...see you around, sir. Have a nice day."

Maybe you will and maybe... you won't.

There was a noticeable change as the alien left. An impenetrable void blossomed in his absence; a stillness that gripped the cottage and plummeted the cozy property further into gloom. Silent were the dogs, their playful barks an eerie mute. Cold was the sun, its rays incapable of spreading cheer and warmth. And dreary were the vibrant colours that gave this secluded abode its characteristic enchantment. How droll. How depressing. How... macabre. He couldn't help it.

In the center of this unnatural malaise sat a solemn Judge Fear, the dogged blight that troubled this dwelling so. Mist swirled around his rancid-green feet and blanketed the kitchen tiling, while a bitter chill radiated off his encumbered shoulders. Both further added to the cottage's descent into misery. But what is it they say about misery? Something about loving company, perhaps. One would be hard-pressed to bother the unliving with the expressions of mortals, let alone the ghoul himself. Fleeting, inconsequential, all around banal - much like this newspaper, really. The Dark Judge must have read the same paragraph over a dozen times, each word committed to memory and then subsequently forgotten. Of what importance were they? Just another page better left to history and, soon, to the sands of time, where even ink-stained memories were lost to the ages. A disinterested sigh escaped the undead fiend and he neatly set aside today's newspaper. Today's, tomorrow's, a month's from now... All the same, all but drops in a never-ending sea of constant motion. There was no delight to be squeezed from the ephemeral.

There was only a detached... emptiness.

Alas...

Still, Judge Fear did not view himself as an apathetic soul. Quite the contrary, in fact. Passionate, dedicated, invested in his unlife's purpose; very admirable qualities in a Judge. Nevertheless, there lingered this... disquiet. It was so very, very lonely in this kitchen... sitting all by himself and with hardly a soul to pester. Hardly a sinner to purge or a populace to eradicate. A silly spot of nervousness, and yet somehow valid. Such a maddening conundrum that the dead ought not entertain. Then again, the dead had no fear of being sealed away in Limbo for years or trapped in Boing! or imprisoned in glasseen crystals...

Sour memories provided nourishment for a vindictive spirit, as well as the crinkling of frost all over Kev's windows. The Dark Judge glanced over a polished mantrap languidly. Eh, a little bit of cold won't harm all these antiques. What's all that whining, though...? Old wood and aged glass don't whine...

But furry things do.

By the time Judge Fear had decided to get up and shamble around, brittle bones grinding into calcium powder, all of Kev's darling little dears lay huddled near the front door. Look at them all, shivering en masse and clumped together for precious life! It was an odd (humourous) sight. "Ssshally, Biddy, Ossscar and Percy," he hissed, listing off their names from right to left. "What are you doing there, ssshaking like leavesss? Go on, get away from the door. You are going to make a messss." All that dust and fur, you know. It was terrible for the sinuses. Ah, but what's this? A torrent of foreign thoughts noisily crashed against his own. I'm cold!, mewed Shally. It smells bad, whimpered Biddy. I hate being inside with you!, yipped Oscar. I miss my rock and it needs me!, howled Percy. With a hiss, the ghoul slapped his hands upon his helm and felt his knobby toes curl. So many voices bouncing around in this wretched tin can, echoing with wild abandon! "Alright, alright!" did the undead fiend relent. The front door flew open with a great - SLAM! - and Judge Fear shooed Kev's incessant pets with a rotten foot. Just a little nudge with his sharpened toenails, of course. Get out, get out, get OUT. Especially you, Oscar.

How happy they were, tearing down the porch and scattering to the four winds. Biddy raced to greet the morning birds and Oscar undoubtedly went to his buried treasures for a satisfying inspection. Shally was content to hop somewhere high, out of normal reach, in order to bask in the sun's toasty rays. And as for Percy? Well...

Needless to say, the pudgy thing had bloody forgotten what he had sought out to do; there was no better teacher of patience than the grave. "Your rock, Percy. You were going to find your rock."

...Oh.

And off Percy went, waddling away to who knows where. There just wasn't something right with that dog... Mm, not at all. Not his problem, though. Judge Fear rolled a hand dismissively at Percy's absentmindedness and figured: eh, it's not like there's a predator roaming around these parts. Like, oh... a bear. No, no. That would be positively silly. But.... perhaps not as silly as an eternal spirit of the law stupidly looming on an alien's front porch, his gaze devoid of focus and his judicial talents idle. Right, right. Best to get off the porch and stop standing around like some Halloween decoration.

So he did, the leathery soles of Judge Fear's feet carrying him down the dirt path from Kev's quaint cottage and into... the wilderness. Well, a meadow. And one teeming with plush greens and vibrant life - nature, ew.  

Colourful insects.

Tweeting birds.

Prancing bunnies and other such vermin.

Eh, it was all very much overrated and the Dark Judge promptly decided right then and there that the wilderness could be done without. The forest was automatically out of the question, so that left... ah, Kev's stone fence. That would be a suitable place to loiter about, wouldn't it?

Admittedly, there was nothing great about the alien's stone fence. Ancient, weathered, and above all uncomfortable, no sane individual would choose to waste a beautiful late morning seated upon it. But such individuals were running on borrowed time... Were unable to go about their business without the impending threat of the inevitable. Each beautiful late morning was spectacular; a work of cosmic art in the making. They were to be savoured and cherished in memory. To the restless dead, however? It was just another day of monotony; of an unchanging mind cursed to exist in an ever-changing world. Permanence at the mercy of impermanence. Ah, irony. But enough of that. There were plenty of days ahead to further ponder one's exasperating state of affairs. A whole eternity, even.

Fire.

Fire and nicotine.

This was how he preferred spending a normal late morning by himself, seated upon a battered stone fence and enjoying a smoke. Never mind that Judge Fear could not sample its medley of flavours or inhale its acerbic scents. The mere act of smoking was soothing in and of itself. Though... it would be highly unfair comparing the act of smoking to the act of purging a city or ordering a firing squad to dispose of captive sinners. He nevertheless relished his smoke all the same.

And so the Dark Judge sat. And he sat and he sat and he sat. He must have sat on that stone fence for hours. Three, maybe. Or four. The ghoul hadn't bothered to count.

The minutes flew by and so did the morning birds, the world fighting off the vestiges of sleep. Creatures of all make and sizes forsook their dens for that of scrumptious morsels, if any were to be had, and the air jittered with their cries. Organisms were born and organisms died, every first breath and dying gasp a sliver of thread weaved into this hectic, nonsensical tapestry that is existence. Today was no different from tomorrow, and tomorrow will be no different from a year... a century... a millennia down the line. It seemed that everything was in accordance with the natural order of things. Providence, universal balance, dharma; whatever was suitable for a mortal's understanding of the cycle around them, they were in motion. How strange it was... to witness life and death as an observer, removed and no longer granted reprieve. A sobering experience, yet it grew stale after the first decade. One becomes tired - cynical. There is little meaning to be derived, for the cycle shall continue regardless of outside meddling. It was all needless toil.

Isn't that right, Death?

Cancerous smoke billowed out from Judge Fear's helm in clouds, toxins and his sickly laughter carried upon them. Perhaps the first sign of movement out of the fiend since he had taken to the fence. Look at him... sitting here like some bored gargoyle, useless and unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. A fool who made a reckless pact and in arrogance... damned himself to a stagnant oblivion. Limbo, Boing!, glasseen, Portal Breach... Nothing more than cages exchanged between another, though the latter is more gilded.

Laughter became a tired exhale and the ghoul hunched forward, one of his grotesque hands propping up his hidden chin. So lonely... So lonely and incapable of carrying out his unlife's work. Judge Fear wasn't stupid. He knew that he'd acquire weapons of mass destruction one way or another, and he knew that both he and his brother would see their plan to its fullest. But he also knew, after the countless defeats by Dredd and Anderson, the unmistakable signs of failure. Suppose the Dark Judges managed to wipe out all life on Portal Breach. What then? The living will only return in seven days' time, whereupon they will unleash a righteous smiting like no other. It would all be for naught, much like an immortal soul forced to watch existence proceed with or without his metaphorical footprint, as it always had.

An unnatural frost crept and snaked through the fence's many cracks, the blades of grass beneath Judge Fear's feet growing brittle and white. Soon, a circle of unwelcoming cold surrounded him, and, for a moment, the world inside this intangible sphere was as ugly and cruel as the lone soul within. Ah, sorrow...

He again couldn't help it.

Huff.

Oh, company.

Ghostly eyes took to the earth, where a roly-poly tub of a dog sat happily panting away. "Hmph... Percy," Judge Fear greeted the dog, smoke rolling off his diseased breath. "What are you doing here? You were sssupposssed to be finding your rock."

There are plenty of rocks all around.

"Yesss, I reckon that isss true."

What are you doing?

"I am waiting, thinking while I do ssso."

Are you waiting and thinking about rocks?

"Ha ha... You and thossse damn rocksss. Percy, I fear you will turn into a ssstone one of thessse daysss. Blimey, you're already asss heavy asss one."

Really? Well, before I become one, may I sit on your lap?

"Why? Ssstonesss belong to the earth, not a man'sss lap."

Because I like you.

Alas, the mind of a young pup. It would be nothing to the Dark Judge if he denied Percy's request; he'd probably forget about it come tomorrow morning. However, where was the harm in granting it? Pensively scratching at his leathery neck and weighing all his options carefully, the ghoul had at last found his answer. "Oh alright," he hissed. "You may sssit on my lap, but I warn you... Ressspect it or I ssshall never again throw you another rock, do you underssstand?" The amount of fussing from Percy was more than enough to seal the deal, and onto that rotten lap the English bulldog went. It will be another few hours before either of them had their fill of watching the world lazily pass by.

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:18 pm