Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Nascence [Week 7 - 9]

Post by Kev on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:26 pm

It was a good thing Kev had decided to do his reading upstairs, because if he had read in the living room, he likely would have been worried about his impending dinner. As it was, the alien was thankfully out of earshot and unable to hear the discussion between Judge and Great Dane about how to make the food. Kev plopped his bruuka right in the wooden chair, looking down to see that his meal of the night was soup! ...Well, it was usually soup, but this looked like a different kinda of soup. The alien leaned over the table and gave it a sniff. "Mm..." It smelled nice! From the looks of it, this soup had a lot beans and vegetables in it. Seems Metus would be getting quite the meal when Kev was finished. "Greetings, sir!" He was in a much better mood, after getting acclimated and having some downtime to read. Kev gave a curious look at the Dark Judge's hands, coated with red and green coloration. Must have been from cutting the vegetables up. Which meant the Judge wasn't wearing gloves...and was handling cut vegetables with his corpse hands.

Kev glanced down at his soup, squinting at it as if inspecting it before his attention was drawn to Metus. The Great Dane seemed annoyed about something, and placed something down at Fear's feet. A mushroom? Must have been one of the stray mushrooms that didn't make it into the soup! Poor Metus didn't like it. Kev pulled his gloves off and decided to drink some water while he waited for the water to cool, idly watching as Fear inspected the mushroom, insisting it wasn't so bad...and then he...! Kev blinked and stared openly as the Judge slipped the mushroom inside the slots of his helm and gobbled it right up! Each munch was a shiver down Kev's spine. That had just been in Metus' mouth... "Sir, we really need to have a talk about your hygiene..." The alien looked down at his meal, and found himself wondering what else could be in here. What else could have been in all of his meals? The Judge didn't see anything wrong with eating after the dog...but no! Judge Fear was an educated man. Surely he wouldn't feed Kev any food that the dog had been munching on. Right? Alas, that food wasn't going to eat itself, and so the alien slid his fingers into the soup tentatively. Still warm. "Thank you for dinner, sir."

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:04 pm

"Sir, we really need to have a talk about your hygiene..."

Judge Fear glanced at the alien, clueless. "Why?" The dead needn't worry about hygiene; wasn't bacteria crucial in the decomposition process? Besides, the Dark Judge had never been one to seriously consider his personal cleanliness while in this state. If he did, a certain sheep-headed Judge would have more than a few words with him... "I don't sssee the harm in a few germsss," he ultimately shrugged. It's not like Metus licked his own hindquarters and went gallivanting off to taste dead things beneath bushes - oh wait. Still, no harm! Kev was just being a right ninny.

"You are welcome, cadet. And I do believe it isss time for your daily assssessssment." The ghoul always looked forward to those, but today just wasn't up to snuff. It seemed that the alien was finally performing to expectations, making nary a mistake and tackling his challenges with renewed vigour.

Sigh.

If only he could be just as excited about dying.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Why? "Well, sir...what if I catch some sort of germs? Either from Metus or from...well...you, I could catch some germs and get sick. And if I get sick, that would interfere with training." Plus, it was just kinda gross. Though considering this was an undead corpse...the alien sighed to himself and focused on his soup, stirring it with his fingers idly. "Then again, I don't know...maybe it is alright? I'm not exactly a cook...maybe the heat killed all the possible germs?" That was a thing, right? That was completely plausible! He crossed his ankles and leaned back slightly in his chair as he consumed his soup. "This is pretty thick. Not in a bad way either, it feels very...filling and satisfying." It hit the spot, honestly.

Ah, daily assessment! The alien visibly perked up, looking at the Judge with wide, eager eyes even as his fingers were still inside of his bowl. Kev knew he had done a lot better today, and he had earned perhaps one demerit, two at the most! Otherwise...he had done a very good job, if he said so himself! But the true Judge would be Fear. "Ready when you are, sir."

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:50 pm

"You falling ill would mean that I am lucky." Lightning rarely strikes twice, so...

But, for the alien, it just might. He had performed rather well today, all things considered. Arrived early for breakfast, was surprisingly receptive with today's exercises, patched up his crummy wall, maintained a consistently respectful presence about himself, and... oh, what else? Ah right, right... And he almost completed his mental exercise after weeks of turmoil. The only mistake Kev had truthfully made today (other than being his living self) was forget the proper title of his instructor. Judge Fear was a tad... crestfallen. He had such high hopes for punishing the alien, too! "Time for your daily asssssessssment, cadet." Just a sigh. A teeny one.

Kev knew the routine by now: the Dark Judge would shamble toward the merit jars, pick up a velvet bag filled with clattering marbles, and begin to list the alien's accomplishments, as well as his errors, for the day.

Except, he didn't.

The Dark Judge leaned against the countertop, arms crossed, and simply hissed, "How many meritsss do you think you've earned, cadet? Tell me a number and explain your reasssoning behind each one, for I am curiousss." Curve balls at each and every turn.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Lucky...pfft. Kev snorted and shook his head, a little more amused than upset by what the corpse had said. If Kev got upset every time the Judge stated that Kev should die, or that he'd be happier if he was dead, then the alien would be a large angry jerk by now. By now, those things usually just washed over him like water off of a duck's back. "Right, of course. Maybe one day you'll be lucky enough, sir." Don't think you were off the hook about your cooking hygiene though...Kev was going to start 'helping' in the kitchen to make sure he wasn't absorbing flakes of dead skin.

The Judge stated that it was time for the daily assessment, and Kev corrected his posture in his chair, looking over at the Judge. He knew how this went, of course. Fear grabbed the merit jars, and the bag of marbles. He'd drop marbles into the merit jar for each thing he had done well, then remove some for any mistakes or demerits. This time, however...Fear merely leaned on the counter and asked Kev how many merits he thought he had earned. The alien blinked at him, taken aback by the change in routine. "Oh, uh...you....huh?" Such elegant words.

Hesitantly, the alien withdrew his fingers from the soup and wiped them on a napkin, brows scrunching downwards as he thought. This was a test, of course. To see if Kev would reward himself too many or too little. How many had he earned? "Well...one merit for waking up early. Waking up early is good and it gave us some time to talk. Another one for completing all of my exercises without any complaints!" When he lasted that one, the alien's pose perked a bit, obviously proud of how the physical exercises had gone. "A merit for completing your chore for the fence, especially using stones from the river to patch up holes. A merit for successfully conquering the first two stages of my mental exercises, and a merit for not immediately passing out the first time?" He scratched a chin idly. "Mmm...I consider it an achievement, but I'm not sure if it's merit-worthy, or the same kind of achievement as 'opening the door for someone else'. You know, something you should do anyway and not expected to be rewarded for. Especially since I passed out the second time and needed psychic surgery...we'll keep that one in the air." What else, what else? There was the spiritual exercises, but he hadn't exactly done anything new, different, or great. "Hm...a merit for making a decent perch for Blathers? And then another merit for being a good cadet~!" He sent the Judge a squinty, happy look. "So in total, 6, possibly 7 if we count the 'not passing out' one but again, I'll leave that to your discretion, sir."

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:50 pm

"So in total, 6, possibly 7 if we count the 'not passing out' one but again, I'll leave that to your discretion, sir."

And that's when the ghoul threw back his head and laughed.

"HA HA HA! Ssseven!?" Judge Fear cackled. "What are you, a bleeding liberal? That'sss funny, cadet." Seven merits... Who was this alien fooling? Being the 'realist' to Kev's 'idealist', the Dark Judge set the record straight. "I'll agree to the merit regarding the sssuccessssful completion of your exercisssesss," he rasped, "but waking up early? That'ssss expected out of you, cadet. Though I ssshall alssso concede to you fixing the ssstone wall. It wasss due for a good patching up." As your animals clearly believed. For the mental exercise, however... The ghoul reconsidered Kev's words but ultimately had to shake his helm. "Mm, no. You dessserve a merit for attaining a higher underssstanding of the exercissse, but I cannot give you one for 'not passssing out' the firssst time, you underssstand. A true cadet would have sssurpasssssed your progresssss by now." Just to put things into a more sensible perspective. Wait, what's this? A perch for Blathers... and for being a good cadet!?

Kev's squint was met with the psychic equivalent of a stink-eye. "You ssshould alwaysss be a good cadet," he countered. And no, you do not deserve a merit for allowing Blathers, whom you should be allowing anyway, to perch on your coat stand. There were no brownie points when you train with a Judge of the law! As rigid as he was undead, Judge Fear decided on a fitting verdict. "You get three meritsss, cadet. One for completing your exercisssesss, one for repairing the fence, and another for grasssping your mental exercissse." There will be no bartering with him, either.

Still, three merits was nothing to be ashamed of! It was enough to purchase the weekly reward.

"Ssshould you desssire," Judge Fear began, "you may ssspend your meritsss to enjoy an extra hour of leisssure time on the daysss of: Monday, Wednesssday, and Friday." Couldn't be all the days, for he was a stingy bastard. "Or, if you decide, you may place them into the overall merit jar. Choossse wisssely, cadet."
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:08 pm

"HA HA HA! Ssseven!? What are you, a bleeding liberal? That'sss funny, cadet."

Do you hear that? That was the sound of Kev's heart sinking down, down, out of his body and through the floor, to settle in the cellar where Fear could have it as a snack later. Not literally, of course, but it sure felt that way, as Kev listened to the corpse cackle. He began to dissect Kev's merits, agreeing to give him one for completing his physical exercises, but waking up early was expected. "Oh..." He distracted himself by briefly peering inside of his bowl. No broth left, just the solid chunks that he couldn't eat. The alien reached down to place the bowl on the wooden floor, gesturing for Metus to come and finish it off for him. Another merit was given for fixing up the wall, and one as well for doing a better job on his mental exercises. This time he didn't feel crestfallen to not earn a merit for not passing out, as he was iffy on it anyway. He gave the Judge a small nod. "I understand, sir. Not passing out is more of a personal achievement then a...real one, I guess." Besides, a true cadet, one with 15 years of training, would have surpassed him by now. Arguably, a true cadet might not have had the same kind of experiences Kev had had, and such wouldn't have such a hard, challenging mental exercise, but he still agreed with the Judge's decision.

Kev turned his attention to his glass of water, dipping his fingers in there to absorb his water as he received one heck of a stinkeye. "Of course, sir, but I was especially good today. I even made you a pot, and I'm still doing it again during my leisure time tonight." Though perhaps it wasn't good enough for a merit. Maybe if he bumped it up to something big, like giving the Judge a bunch of compliments and a bouquet of flowers? Mm...nah, nah, that was too much sucking up, and too saccharine. Especially when they were 'on the job', as it were. 3 merits, which was 3 less then he had figured, but this was why he wasn't the instructor. "Thank you, sir." Still, 3 wasn't too bad! And not a single demerit! Kev leaned forward in his seat as Judge Fear listed off the reward, an extra leisure hour for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Hmm... "Would that mean I'd be going to bed an hour later, sir?" That could be bad for respective training on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday...but if he had a reward for those days, he could use the merits on those days for the overall jar and still get something out of it. With the way he was going, surely he could make up for those three merits.

After some time to think, the alien set down his empty glass and nodded at the Judge. "I'll take the weekly reward, sir."

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:47 pm

There, there, cadet. You were a dreamer; an alien who had his head in the clouds and didn't always realize just how gritty this world was. Or maybe you did, and you just didn't want to acknowledge it. Either way, three merits was better than zero merits. Keep that in mind. "You ssshould not engage in a kind act with the thought of earning a reward later," Judge Fear reminded. Yes, it was nice that Kev had made a pot of tea earlier. Very nice, no fighting that. But a true act of kindness was its own reward, was it not? After all, did the Dark Judge demand or expect anything in return when he arranged those yellow tulips?

Unsurprisingly, the alien choose the daily reward. Who could pass up an extra hour of free time? "No, you will not be going to bed later," hissed the Dark Judge. "Rather, I will ssshave off fifteen minutesss here and there from variousss activitiesss prior to make up for the difference. You will ssstill retire for the evening at the usssual time."

So don't think to push your luck.

"Thisss concludesss your daily assssessssment, cadet. Your recreational hour beginsss in eight minutesss. Be mindful of the time and of your regimen." With nothing else to be said and business concluded, the ghoul took his leave. There were animals that required feeding and to be shut in for the night, along with a certain bear that needed to be shooed away. Don't mind Judge Fear, cadet. If you hear loud hissing within the next half hour, stay inside with Metus and Blathers. It would be unfortunate if you were suddenly mauled~!
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:49 pm

"Good point." Doing something kind and hoping to be rewarded for it was much like doing something that people ought to do anyway, and being rewarded for it. "If there is a reward afterwards, that's a plus, but one shouldn't do one expecting that." Besides, making tea for Fear was exactly that; doing it for Fear. The Judge had been doing a lot for him, these past several weeks...he wanted to do something for him in return. And apparently the Judge had a plan to make room for the extra hour. Instead of Kev going to bed later, which probably wouldn't go well for training, Fear was going to make up for the difference by taking some time here and there out of other activities. "Understood, thank you sir." No downsides at all to this reward, then! Not that the rewards ever had a downside, but sometimes you had to wonder if the instant reward was better then the long term.

With that, the daily assessment was over with and there were 8 more minutes of 'dinner' left. With one last warning to be mindful of the time, the Judge disappeared outside to take care of the animals. Kev glanced down at the floor, watching as Metus quietly munched on beans, pasta, and vegetable chunks. Seems someone remembered the Judge's reminder that morning. The bowl slid across the floor from the force of the dog's eating, and Kev slid his leg closer, using the instep of his foot to keep the bowl in place while Metus finished up. Metus thanked Kev for his help by reaching up and licking the alien's face. "Agh, Metus!" At least his breath didn't smell bad! In fact, it smelled just like the soup! The alien pulled his face away from Metus and chuckled a bit, calmly stroking the dog's broad head before reaching down to scoop the bowl up again. Empty, except for the mushrooms. The Great Dane really didn't like those things! Wonder why...they tasted alright to him, when mixed up with everything else. The alien gingerly plucked a bit of mushroom between two fingers and gave it a delicate sniff. Mm, dog slobber. He pulled his face away with a snort, before standing up out of the chair and shaking the mushroom into a trashcan. Reaching back, he grabbed up his glass and brought them both over to the sink. Applying dish soap to the washcloth as usual, he spent the last 8 minutes of dinner cleaning his dishes and setting them aside to dry.

Now, how to top off leisure hour? Kev dried his hands on a towel before leaning down to take a tentative sniff of his arm. Though the alien didn't exactly sweat, there was still an undeniable smell of 'spent the whole day training and exercising' that wouldn't exactly make for a nice cuddle session...even if the Judge did like eating after a dog. Putting the dishes away, Kev made his way up the stairs.The alien's sudden appearance startled Blathers in his corner, but otherwise Kev received a hoot in response. Kev gave the owl a brief, perturbed look before scuttling into the bathroom, locking the door behind himself for good measure. Owls can't even use a door lock, sure, but he didn't want that owl to see him naked! Getting the tub ready, Kev climbed in and scrubbed himself. It was a shorter bath then usual, but he had to make up for time spent making the tea. Soon, Kev climbed back out and dried himself off, pulling on a long sleeved shirt, a pair of boxers and some loose pajama pants. The usual wintery sleeping attire for him, though the weather might start warming up soon, with spring on the way. Getting another hoot as he passed through the bedroom, Kev continued down the steps and into the kitchen, preparing a pot of black tea this time. The tea tray was grabbed, two cups set down on it. The 'Best Solution', of course. With a bit of thought, Kev decided to include a plate with a couple of biscuits too. If nothing else, Metus or Percy could have them! By the time the pot was ready and the tray was set, Judge Fear had finished with the animals outside and hopefully not any bears. "Just in time for tea!"

Kev carted the tray off to the living room, setting it on top of the coffee table, before he plopped himself down on the couch and looked back at the Judge expectantly. Kev's wait would have to be a patient one, as the Judge was still slowly shambling from the kitchen into the living room, maneuvering his way over before finally settling himself down onto the couch cushion, creaky joints making noise all the way. Kev reached forward and poured their respective cups, and squirted honey into his tea and stirring it up. A thin arm reached forward, talons entwining with the handle of the cup, before the Judge brought the cup up to his helm to sip at his tea. Kev turned his gaze away for a moment, being mindful of the stare. Kev's cup was almost ignored though, as with his gaze kept downward, he scooted over little by little before leaning on the Judge and wrapping an arm across the front of his lanky torso. "Mm...this is payback for Blathers." The Judge snorted, no doubt giving Kev many, many stinkeyes he couldn't see. Judge Fear reached up and gave Kev a playful flick on the back of his head before his large hand settled on the top of Kev's head and scratched idly at his scales. The flick almost made him glare up at the Judge, open helm or not, but once the scratching began he practically melted, trilling all the way. They sat like that for a while, Kev especially enjoying the quiet idleness. Well, quiet aside from his own trilling, and the noise of Fear consuming tea and idly eating a biscuit.

Alas, all must come to an end and eventually the Judge announced that Kev's leisure time was running out. There was enough time to wash the dishes he'd made in making the tea, and after breaking a biscuit to feed to all of the dogs, even Oscar (though he got the smallest piece), the Judge helped Kev out in cleaning them. Though, corpse skin plus water did not equal enjoyment and happiness, so Kev put him on 'drying' duty. Soon enough, the dishes were cleaned, dried and put away, and Kev gave Fear a hug around the chest. "Good night, sir. Have a good time with Livewire, and let her know I said hi." With a pat on the head received, they parted ways, Kev ascending the stairs and climbing into bed. Covers were pulled up, his head laid on the pillow, and Metus climbed up after him, settling himself down across the alien. He chuckled and scratched behind an ear idly. All in all, not that bad a da-

"Hoot hoot!"

...These next three weeks were going to be a challenge.

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm