Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Re: The Book Thief

Post by GLaDOS on Fri May 08, 2015 12:29 pm

GLaDOS was at least glad that the Science experiment had abandoned her ridiculous mode of transportation and was now standing on the ground--her antics had brought back memories of the cooperative testing initiative goofing around in the test chambers. Strangely, she felt a pang within at that thought, but wrote it off as worry over her facility. Though she wouldn't have to worry about their wrecking anything--she'd left their consciousness safely in the reassembly machine, where they wouldn't have a chance to cause trouble.

Her attention returned to the Science experiment, who, as predicted, had taken her sarcasm as a legitimate compliment. "Fascinating," she droned, wondering briefly how mixed up and clumsy the being could get from attempting to perform that handful of simple tasks at once.

"Have you considered something other than thievery? Buying books legitimately, perhaps?" Did this animal even make enough money to do that? "Or else something that wouldn't involve taking books at all..."

Here she paused, not sure whether or not she actually wanted to help this creature with her ridiculous mission, but if it would enable her access to more information, and possibly a new test subject...

"I could scan the books you require, and transfer their data elsewhere. A personal computer, perhaps, from which they may be printed."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 51

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Tue May 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Xiao pursed her lips again in a pout. “But buying books is expensive. Plus, Lord Vaati might not like the book, then that would have meant I wasted my money. Besides, as I said, I do return the books” - just not all of them, she wanted to say, but managed to bite her tongue from letting the words slip - “...it just takes a while.” A long while, but that was Xiao’s forgetful nature’s fault and not one of her master’s.

Her eyes brightened at the thought. GAAAAASP. “You would? Really? For me?” Best ladybot! Lovely ladybot! Wonderful ladybot. Oh Xiao wanted to hug the wires out of you! In fact, she did exactly just that. The squirrel outstretched her arms and tackled the floating robot, rubbing her cheek affectionately on her cold metal shell. “You are the best and most fantastic robot friend! Thank you very muchie!”

Except, we have one problem. Xiao Xiao halted her cuddling, pulled back her head and pulled a befuddled expression. “But I don’t have a computer. Lord Vaati doesn’t like technology in the palace very much. He destroyed all of The Pretty Garden’s machines. Don’t you also need a printing machine to print things as well?”

Oh dear, Xiao wasn’t sure how much these things are but they are sure to be pricey. Can she really afford such things? Maybe steali--...er… long-term borrowing was the best method after all. Unless...“Can I feed you paper and you print them for me?”

Is there even a slot for that? Xiao started poking at the ladybot’s shell, round about where she guessed the robot’s tummy would be as she started looking for places to put paper in.
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 6

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Wed May 13, 2015 12:09 am

While GLaDOS understood things like money and debt and how they worked, it was something she herself never really had to deal with all that much. Aperture's former accountants were quite good at evading paying for things, and after they all died, there wasn't really any way for her to access the outside world. In any case, she understood the Science experiment's note of the cost of purchasing books. It was a legitimate concern, unfortunately, but she couldn't help but comment,"It's not surprising someone like you would have trouble earning enough money to purchase such a simple thing as books."

But the animal quickly latched onto her idea of scanning the books herself--and literally latched herself onto GLaDOS. She froze up, whipping a claw down to pull the creature away, but already she had let go. "I am not your friend," she growled, raising her chassis up higher. She then had to pull her hover unit up even higher to keep away from the Science experiment's hands. "And no, I cannot print paper. However, I'm sure there are other places here were such a thing could be accomplished."

Such as the library itself. There were computers here, and probably printers--she'd never gone looking for them, never having to use them--but the problem was, scanning and printing the books was likely highly illegal. She didn't care for laws herself, but she would rather not get in trouble with whatever authorities were here, if she could avoid it. "Do you know of any places that might have a computer and printer?"
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Wed May 13, 2015 4:17 pm

After she had suggested GLaDOS do the printing for her, Xiao’s imagination chugged away and spat out a different kind of thought. The very concept of feeding the robot paper was then moved onto how exactly would the paper come out. If you feed something to a something, then it would go through their body and come through the…. Other end? Xiao was very sure robots do not have bottoms… but just in case GLaDOS was going to open a panel on her body and reveal something Xiao would VERY much rather not see, then continue to offer her printing services…. The squirrel was not very sure she was comfortable with the idea of offering printed poop to her master…

When the ladybot said she could not print paper, Xiao was immensely relieved.

“Oh yes, it is difficult to afford many books when I have other things that needs buying - like clothes and food,” she said with many a nod. Let’s not mention the amount that she stashes away in her room, just in case things were to happen and either she or Vaati needed the money. If anybody ever did a thorough search of Xiao’s room, they would find that the tile flooring under her dressing table was loose and it was the hiding place of ceramic piggy banks.

As for computers, Xiao was not sure. In fact, her ears drooped at the thought of working one. Learning how to use the register in work was hard enough, but a computer was out of the question. One of those swipey flat computer machine thingies (something to do with tablets, but Xiao wasn’t sure what medicine got to do with it) may be more manageable, because it was all point and poke. But computers involved things like typing, pointy arrows, something about menus (food?), soft-wear (clothes?) and programmes (television?). It was all very daunting.

“There are some in the library here but I don’t know how to use them. I came from a time period much older than this one so all this techno… techyes… tec-- SCIENCEY things are like magic to me. I’m the type who, if you give me a swipey flat computer machine tablet-pill-capsule thingie, will immediately hand it to the person next to me because I am not confident nor comfortable using one.”

Last edited by Xiao Xiao on Fri May 15, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Thu May 14, 2015 10:51 pm

"Oh, yes. Those are things that humans and... human-like creatures require." For the most part. She never found any records of the mantis men Aperture had created requiring clothing. They did require food, though, and a lot of it... For a moment, GLaDOS wondered if it would be easier to deal with a ferociously hungry Science experiment gone wrong than an incredibly dense Science experiment gone wrong.

It didn't come as much of a surprise to GLaDOS when said Science experiment compared Science to magic. That certainly explained a lot--of course more primitive beings would not have good concepts of how the world actually worked, and would explain away things with the idea of magic in order to avoid actual thinking and research. Still, her answer was incredibly frustrating. "I didn't ask if you could use them. I asked if you knew of their location." She shrugged her chassis in a silent sigh. "Copying books is illegal, I would assume, but no more illegal than your stealing them. However, it would enable you to have copies of the books without removing them from the library for extended periods. We could print them out here, but we would also have to avoid being caught... hence, why I was asking for the location of other printers we could use."

Her faceplate was turned downward in annoyance as she found herself liking her own idea less and less. "And I can accompany you in order to work any of the necessary devices myself. The only thing you need to do is find a printer."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon May 18, 2015 5:37 pm

“Hmmm….” Xiao hummed as she shuffled around for a more comfortable position in the step of the ladder she was seated on. She then started to drum her fingers on the knees and she tried her utmost best to remember if there were any printers available.

Honestly, Xiao Xiao cannot see that much harm in her current way of getting books for her master. As she had said a few times already, it wasn’t like she had no inclination of returning them. She just hated book-return deadlines as she tends to forget them and then be in for an earful when she next came to the library.

That and there were the very, very rare times when she actually brought a book home, which Vaati actually wanted to keep - permanently. She guessed there are secrets in those books that the wind mage didn’t want sharing though the complexity of the text certainly gave her no interest in finding out what it was. She had tried reading one, it had diagrams, magic words, funny words, complex words and weird words. Her mind just went ‘Nopesy’, shut the book and return to shelf.

“Do people really mind that much if I do remove a book or two from the library for extended periods of time?” she asked, looking in the direction of magic section. “It’s not like many people even go to the magic section anyway. Usually only people who knew how to use magic would want to go there yes yes? And even then those people have their own styles of using magic that it’s pointless of them to look up another way to use it because it’s simply not the way their bodies work.. For example, Lord Vaati tried to advise me in his way of using magic once, but I couldn’t even summon enough of a breeze to waft a strand of hair, much less destroy a target board like he did. Well… I guess I am a bit stupid so I couldn’t understand it….” Xiao Xiao was sorry for being such a terrible student, Lord Pretty Hair!

Then it dawned to the yaojing that maybe the Ladybot minded her stealing so much was because SHE wants to read the books Xiao had been pinching. She gasped. “I’m sorry! I didn’t know Ladybots were interested in magic. Here, let me get that book back in and you can see if it’s something you would like to read. If you do, you can read it first then hand it to me…. or if you’re up for it, you can print a copy for yourself too!”

Last edited by Xiao Xiao on Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Mon May 18, 2015 9:54 pm

GLaDOS waited with some amount of patience for the Science experiment to conjure up an answer in that primitive mind of hers. Frustrating as it was, she couldn't expect a being that had already shown itself to be of minimal intelligence to be able to give a proper answer quickly. Though it made it even more frustrating when the creature still did not answer her question.

...It did catch her attention, though. Books on magic? Given the creature had related Science to magic before, could that mean they were Science books? Or was it all some nonsense?

When the Science experiment offered to bring in one of the books in question, GLaDOS's frame relaxed. Well, that made things easier--she wouldn't have to worry about copying books for this creature and potentially getting herself in trouble. "Yes, I would very much like to look it over," she answered. "I would like to see if this... magic book could be anything useful for me."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Thu May 21, 2015 5:05 pm

GLaDOS wanting to see the book made Xiao’s hope rise. Maybe, just maybe, she could actually get out of this with next to no trouble after all. She liked and appreciated the ladybot’s offer to help her print her own copies of the books, but honestly, she wouldn’t want to be a hassle to her friend. Also, if she did not have to rely on somebody else, she would have the freedom of time to bring books back and forth without having to look for the robot each time.

Xiao Xiao nodded, got out of her seat in on the ladder step and peeked out the window. Where was the book again? Oh yes, that gaudy looking thing resting in the bushes. Xiao took a deep breath. It was one thing magicky something to move away from you, but another thing entirely to move it towards you as the starting point of the former tends to be closer to you and you didn’t have that far to throw a spell to initiate the process.

The yaojing pointed her palms towards the book outside and focused her magic on conjuring up the same orange and white twinkles that carried it outside in the first place. The magic sparkled into view and with a flick of her fingers, Xiao started directing the book back up, through the window then delivered it straight to the air immediately in front of her robot friend.

“There you go. Is it anything you’re interested in? I couldn’t really make sense of it, but I find that Lord Vaati tends to favour the complex books I bring back.”

[[A/N: I’ll leave it up to you to decide the contents of the magic book! Whatever suits or makes it easier for GLaDOS to react to.]]
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm

GLaDOS watched as the Science experiment began to take the book back from where she'd smuggled it outside using the same strange nanobot-like things as before. She watched in curiosity, scanning the objects to see just what enabled them to hover like that, but she found nothing that she recognized. Perhaps it was a sort of technology she simply was not familiar with yet.

As the nanobots hovered the gaudy-looking book over to her, she reached out with a couple claws to pick it up. It was a rather ugly book, but she knew the old saying well enough to not need to repeat it to herself. Opening the cover, she began to flip through the pages, rapidly taking in the book's contents.

After a few seconds of this, she paused.

What?

Flipping back to the beginning, she began to re-scan the books to make sure her scanner had not glitched the first time, but it had not. The book was absolute nonsense from front to back. It talked of things like producing fire and water and other things in mid-air to use as weaponry, which might be possibly with quite a lot of technology and experimentation, except this book was describing things like magic words and energy and such instead. It was fairy tales. Nonsense. Fiction.

Had this been what she'd gotten so worked up over? Mere works of fiction that this creature had been smuggling in and out of the library?

Slowly she closed the book, staring at the cover again for a moment. This was utterly ridiculous--how could she have let herself get herself so worked up over such a little thing? Stress? Perhaps she'd been in the library too long--become too obsessed with searching each and every book for a potential way out of here. She needed to get out of this place and do something to relax.

But her favorite thing to do was testing, and there was no way to do that here, without a facility or test chambers or test subjects or...

Her optic brightened for a moment.

"Here," she said, handing the book back to the creature. "It appears this is not the sort of thing that interests me after all." For a moment she turned back toward the cooking section, looking over the books on different cakes. "But on that note... you said you were interested in cakes, were you not?" She turned back to the Science experiment, arranging her face into an expression that was almost friendly--which would have been a warning sign to those more familiar with her. "At some point, would you be interested in joining me for a little experiment? Perhaps a..." she mulled over the term to use for a picosecond, looking for a word that could possibly interest the creature, "...puzzle? I could provide a cake at the conclusion. Of course, I don't have everything set up at the moment, but once I have things ready, would you be interested in such a thing?"
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:27 pm

As her wonderful hovering friend examined the book, Xiao Xiao watched in wonder. Oh wow, Ladybot can read very fast! Look at how quick she was flipping through the pages! She wished she could read that fast. It would make staying on top of weekly girly magazines a lot more easier (she was currently two issues behind) Or GLaDOS could be skimming the contents… nah, that was not possible. For such an avid reader, and not to mention well learned scientifically, like the Ladybot, Xiao cannot believe that she would skim the contents of the book.

After reading it though, the robot looked a little… perplexed? That notion was reinforced by the fact that she went back to the start and checked it again.

“It’s fine,” comforted Xiao as she misread the situation. “I don’t understand any of these fancy magic books either. Lord Vaati apparently does, but I myself cannot make heads nor tails out of them most of the time. The ones with lots of pictures and arrows tends to help more though.”

She accepted the book back, glad that it now seems like she wasn’t smuggling books out which her friend would had wanted to study. She was just about re-smuggle the book back outside when GLaDOS posed her a new question. Xiao’s eyes brightened so much that you can almost see all the hopes, dreams and pure adoration shining right out of them. “Yes! Yesyesyesyes! I love cakes. I can’t really make them though. I’m not very good with baking unless they’re baos. But I can help decorate cupcakes and muffins and cookies and biscuits and doughnuts if you want.”

Wait, what? The Ladybot wanted her to join her (YES! x 5) but it sounded a little odd… She wanted her to join her for a puzzle? And cake is a reward? Huh? That was a weird way of putting things. Right, let’s break this down and digest it….tick, tock, tick, tock went Xiao’s mind. So the Ladybot wanted her to join her, and they are going to do puzzles and then there was cake afterwards. And with cake, there was always tea. And if it was tea and cake and then there was puzzles then…. could it be?

If possible, Xiao’s eyes got even more larger and even more hope was beaming out of them. Could it be? GLaDOS was inviting her for AFTERNOON TEA? Xiao can’t even think of doing puzzles in anytime but the afternoon after all. What was more joyful than spending an afternoon with a friend, lounging on some cushions on the floor, with magazine puzzles, with tea and cake? Except…

“What kind of puzzles? I have lots of old magazines with incomplete puzzles if you want me to bring them over. Just to let you know, I’m not very good at cross-words. But I like doing word-searches and spot the differences.”

She was looking so forward to this!
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:41 pm

GLaDOS ignored the Science experiment's comments on her master's books--apparently he enjoyed reading utter nonsense. It was both a relief and a disappointment that they weren't anything she needed; she wouldn't have to be copying books or some other meticulous thing for the squirrel, but then she didn't have any new material to study, either.

The creature's reaction to her offer, however, caught her attention. "Oh, that won't be necessary. I can provide the cake myself," she replied. She would have to make it herself of course, which she could do, with some work, though if worst came to worst she could probably just obtain one from a bakery or store. Either way, the Science experiment would be there to test, not to cook.

The creature seemed excited for a moment, then confused. When she voiced her question about what kind of tests there would be, GLaDOS had to think about how to put it. "No, I don't mean word puzzles. I mean more... physical puzzles. Ones that might involve moving objects around." Objects like cubes and edgeless safety cubes, hopefully. She wasn't in the facility anymore and couldn't merely produce these at her whim, and would have to construct or purchase them herself. Building a chamber or two from scratch would be some work, but it would be a nice break from the library.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:38 pm

It was a pity that magic books were not her Ladybot friend’s cup of tea. Xiao had been prepared to nervously ask her wind mage master to grant the robot access to their library in the Palace of Winds. And if nervous asking did not work, Xiao was going to escalate the requesting process to involve large puppy eyes, wibbly lower lips and the a heavy bombardment of begging. Why would she go to such an extent to let the robot into their library? Well, it was rather simple in Xiao’s mind, you see. If GLaDOS could go to the library, then Xiao would then find all the excuses and reasons to poke tea parties, hang outs, sleepovers and become bestest of best friends with her.

But since, the robot did not have a reason to visit the Palace, Xiao would have to settle for the next best thing. She could go visit where her friend was staying at. And to make it even better, GLaDOS even volunteered to provide the cake herself. That was good, Xiao wouldn’t know what kind of cakes robots eat after all. It was better if GLaDOS had her own robot-friendly cake - the yaojing just hopes it’s squirrel friendly as well.

Xiao Xiao was then very relieved to hear that she was not expected to do word puzzles. “Good, good… not that they’re bad or anything. I’m sure I could get a dictionary or two to help me if we are doing word puzzles.” She wasn’t very sure what the Ladybot meant by physical puzzles though. “Moving objects around? Like a board game? Oooo, I’ve never really played board games before. The only one I’ve tried was this one with snakes and colourful ladders. I’ve seen people play chess as well but it looks too complex for me.”

Then her shoulders slumped, her tail drooped and her ears turned down. “It’s not chess, is it?” Please say no. Please say no. Please say no. She might have to get drag somebody along if it was chess. Who was good at chess? KoKo? Er… Xiao did not actually know if the space pirate even played chess. Lord Vaati looked like somebody who was capable of the strategic board game though. She wondered if he would mind coming along with her for this future play date….
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:06 pm

When the Science experiment went on about not being good at word puzzles, GLaDOS was not surprised. In fact, she was fairly certain the Science experiment wouldn't be good at any sort of puzzle, based on what she'd seen, but then again, she couldn't be sure. That's what testing was all about, of course. Seeing how well different people--or, in this case, how different human-animal-hybrid-abominations--could solve logical problems. She could gather a lot of interesting data from that.

"No, we won't be playing chess," she responded, a little annoyed. She'd played the game before, and discovered that it was rather boring when no-one, human or AI, could match her skill. Being able to calculate every possible move in less than a second made it a bit too easy. "You'll see when you arrive. It should be... fun." For at least one of the two of us.

...Unless the creature wound up making things more difficult than she'd planned. But then, she'd dealt with disobedient test subjects before. Nothing the creature could do could be worse than... her.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Yaaaaaay! No chess! That was good. That was very good. Then Xiao wouldn’t look quite as stupid when she visits. And it was going to be a surprise as well! Xiao clapped her hands together once in glee. She did like surprises, but only the good kind. The nasty kind where she gets dirty, injured and upset were yuck. The good kind where the surprise is a present that completely suited her to a ‘T’ were fine though and it was her all not to bug the ladybot with a plethora of questions which might spoil the surprise.

There was one important thing though. “Would I have to bring or wear anything in particular?” she asked. She knew she didn’t have to bring cake, but Xiao knew she was definitely going to bring some sort of present along. It was terribly rude to visit somebody’s home for the first time and not bring a ‘Thank you for having me round’ present. Did the robot like fruit? Xiao usually went for fruit baskets or flowers if it was a house visiting present like this.

Being an eager seamstress, the yaojing would also have to make sure she was dressed properly for the occasion too! Oh, what should she wear? Orange? Pink? Green? Lilac? Lavender? Baby blue? White? Dressing poorly to visit a friend had already happened once; she was visiting their home, only to be scandalised that it was in the middle of a desert, Xiao was convinced she very almost suffocated from the heat. She was not set to repeat that event.

“Wait,” she suddenly blurted out as her mind brought up another question. “Where would it be?” Please don’t say the desert...

Last edited by Xiao Xiao on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Well, GLaDOS's refusal to outright state what they would be doing seemed to excite her potential test subject--not the reaction she expected, but she would take it. At her question, however, she had to think for a moment. She didn't have any test subject jumpsuits with her, unfortunately, but while that wasn't ideal, it wouldn't harm the test all that much unless she was setting up emancipation grills. No, the first tests would just be simple ones, so she wouldn't worry about that right now. "Something comfortable to move around in would be fine," she answered. "You won't need any fancy clothes for this."

At her next question, however, GLaDOS paused. She didn't really have a place to stay outside of the library--here, she would just find herself some quiet corner with an outlet to plug herself into every once in a while. If she wanted to conduct a test, she would need an actual space to set the test up in--a building, preferably. And that wasn't something she had at the moment...

"It would be at my... house, once said house is suitable for visitors." It was technically true--it wasn't suitable for visitors because it did not exist yet. She could have just outright lied and said she had a house, but she didn't want the creature to come trying to visit a place that didn't exist. But she would find a building as soon as she could and work at building a few chambers in there for when she needed to unwind. "I have some things to take care of first, but I'll be sure to let you know when everything is ready."

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 am