Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Got Any Books with Sweet Pentagrams?

Post by Prixlezub on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:17 am

Time: 3:00 PM
    Date: January 8, 0004

"Let's see..." The librarian's manicured fingers flew over the keyboard in a chorus of clattering plastic, her focused gaze befitting of her tidy and well kept appearance, complete with a trim bun. Not a single hair out of place and set in a far eastern fashion. "Our occult section is toward the back, the subsection on demons in particular however is a little out of reach." Likely for good reason. I will send an assistant to help you retrieve them a little easier, Miss...?" She looked up from the glowing computer screen questioningly, the young woman standing across from her on the other side of the help desk meeting her stare with one that was oddly intense.

Then again, the whole person's appearance was a little intense, if not on the 'edgy' side. Covered from head to toe in black, from her long skirt to her shirt displaying some manner of satanic imagery. From the looks of it, the librarian could identify a sort of Baphomet sitting cross legged on it, albeit altered for a more advanced generation. In one hand he held a music player, and in the other was a... she squinted a little, was that a coffee mug? A black overcoat and black boots to keep out the cold and slush matched the 'abysmal' ensemble.

"Monica." She uttered, her voice hardly above a whisper. Dark brown eyes stared out from her ghastly white complexion, achieved through plenty of make-up and long days inside. Equally black hair was braided and tied back in a thickly woven ponytail, which was adjusted over her shoulder every so often. Had she not have dealt with similar types of kids before, she probably would have jumped from the stark contrast, or at the very least batted an eye.

"Right, Monica." She replied, the librarian rising from her seat and stepping out of her work space. "Wait right there and I'll get you an assistant." She stated quietly before disappearing behind a row of books.

The wait was not long, thankfully. Soon after she left, the woman returned with a gangly looking young man to help her. Likely a volunteer from the look of him, and the name tag that that was stuck to his chest in a paper sticker. Gunther, apparently was his name, and the large letters that spelled out VOLUNTEER above it explained his game. "Gunther will be helping you today, he knows back part of the building rather well so you two should be able to find everything." She explained, giving him a pat on the shoulder before nudging him forward to the shadowy woman at the front desk. Up close, Gunther looked to be rather... oh, what was the word? Hip? Hipster? Monica could not rightfully tell, but he certainly looked to be one that tried to stand out. Dirty blonde hair styled with too much gel, colorful tight fitting clothing, including jeans that looked rather... hm. Inwardly she wondered if the poor boy was getting enough circulation in his legs, not to mention other areas.

Colorful and ill fitting attire aside, he seemed rather composed. At least until he started talking. "I'll help you find what you're looking for. Probably a book on Ars Goetia or Ouija spirit summoning, am I right?" He said as he lead her away from the librarian. Although monica could not help but find the volunteer's tone a tad... presumptuous. "Those seem to be pretty popular with kids like you." Oh, that bored manner of speech was going to grow old very quickly.

"One does not summon a demon through Ouija boards, Gunther." She replied, "In fact they are not a viable method of summoning any manner of spirit." Her cool retort given, it was apparently Gunther's cue to ramp up his act, as he glanced her over with squinted light brown eyes.

"Is that so? Well, I've summoned plenty using it. In fact one could say that I invented the practice." He replied, smug. A look that burst like a bubble when matched with Monica's ever stoic expression. Her head tilted slightly as they walked, a thoughtful hum gracing her black painted lips. Well well, someone certainly was rather confident, and ignorantly so.

"Really? And just how many demons have you summoned? Plenty is a pretty vague number, and with all that you say you have encountered, there is a little matter regarding how... whole you are. A demon does not tend to enjoy being summoned on a whim like a party trick." Monica reasoned, her pace level and even as she continued to walk the hall. "Either the demons you managed to pull out of that cardboard sheet were rather paltry and timid to begin with, or... You are making quite a few exaggerations for the sake of your... reputation." Her deep brown eyes glanced over to the taller of the two of them, who, interestingly enough, grew rather quiet.

"Mhm. When we get to the section, I want to see every reference this place has on demonic behavior, across all cultures available. Specifically, I would like it narrowed down to demons that are within human cultures." She requested, keeping her voice low. The volunteer, having remianed silent, only gave a small nod in reply to show he was indeed listening. Section after section passed in their stride, a walk made in silence. For better or for worse.

-----

The walk to the back of the library was far longer than expected, likely a good twenty minutes nonstop before the shelves began to feature labels of things that were not all that usual. Faerie folk, spirits, sprites, mermaids, all manner of occult and oddities covered this section, the various books and tomes covered with a fine layer of dust despite the immaculate upkeep of the rest of the library and its treasures. Apparently Gunther had noticed the woman's pondering gaze and cleared his throat a little. "It takes a while before maintenance can get to all the shelves. Some will be left alone for a while and get pretty dusty in the meantime." He trailed off, as if trying to remember something as they came to a stop in front of the section labeled DEMONS A-H. "...W-while you're here, don't leave any trash. It's bad enough it takes a few days to get to all the sections for cleaning." He warned, looking back down to Monica, who, oddly enough, was already looking through a few shelves.

"Noted." She flatly replied, pulling out a thick tome on Hindu demonology and tucking it under her arm. "I saw a few up in the second to top  most shelves that were of interest. American demons and Christian Theological demons." She indicated with a point of a pale finger upwards to the tomes in particular while the volunteer went to fetch a ladder.

It was going to be a long afternoon...
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 46

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Re: Got Any Books with Sweet Pentagrams?

Post by Prixlezub on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:47 am

Time: 3:30 PM

From the Americas to New Zealand, and everything in between, Gunther had managed to find just about every book that the library possessed on earthen demons that plagued humanity. Tomes thick and thin were stacked neatly on the long, wooden work desk that sat between the shelves, waiting to be cracked open and read through. "Will that be all you will need?" Gunther asked as he set down a few more book on the table. These ones in particular had been written in German. Monica glanced over the text as she watched him place them down, before looking back up to him. "I would like if a few of these could be translated to English, please. The one you have there and the two others that are in Latin." She replied , pointing to the two old, leather bound tomes that sat aside from the others.

"Okay, I'll take those down to the desk and see what we can do." He replied, looking over the two that were sitting out. "Someone should be right back with a translator if we have some available." He added, before turning and walking back to the front desk.

While waiting for one of the library staff to return with a translator, Monica pulled out one of the plush chairs lining the desk and took a seat, looking over the stack next to her before taking down the book on American demonology. Best to start on A and end with Z, she decided. Flipping open the book, she took a look over the table of contents. The book was divided into three sections; North America, Middle America and South America. Within each of the three regional sections were the demons that resided within them. As she looked down over the various names, she noticed one in particular that made her lips crease in a frown. The Wendigo. Hm, so that was where they had originated... That detail aside, Monica glanced back to the top of the table of contents, finding that the section for North American demons started at page fifteen. Flipping to it, the introduction swiftly went to the point before going on to explain the first on the list.

The A'tahsaia (also known as Átahsaia or Atasaya)

Native to the Zuni people of the Southwestern United States, the A'tahsia is a giant, cannibalistic demon. The name is not only its proper name, but also the name of its class of demon (ie: "the a'tahsia"). While they are a demonic spirit, they also possess a physical form. The demon holds many descriptions over many different stories....

Reading through the section, Monica quickly found this particular demon was, well, underwhelming. A creature that tricked women into trying to eat soup made from children and combing his hair, along with cornering young women in caves during a blizzard and demanding to take all they have to satiate its hunger. However, its only enemies from what could read from the chapter, were two war gods.

Onto the next chapter, this particular one looking over the Baykok, a screaming, skeletal demon of the great lakes region. Other than shooting down warriors with invisible arrows or beating them with clubs, this particular being was rather harmless and simple. All it apparently did was devour the victim's liver and scream. Continuing on, the only demons that stood out in the particular chapter were the Dzoavits and the Okeus. Even then, they were not what the woman was looking for. Perhaps the other regions of America would have something more promising...

-----

Time: 4:20 PM

Forty minutes had passed before she had managed to find something noteworthy, a particular demon known as the Chullachaqui within the section on South American Demons. In fact, it was not so much considered a demon as it was a devil. A shape-shifter that could turn into animals and loved ones, or even an old, angry man in rags that challenged people to a fight. Certainly this seemed slightly promising. Especially when it was stated that it tended to be a reclusive being that only interacted with humans if they intruded upon its territory.

Before Monica could flip the page to read more about this particular being, she heard footsteps coming in her direction from down the hall. Along with quiet, happy hum from the one making their way towards her. She glanced up from her book as they stopped at the section, her eyes filled with what was either the most wondrous or ridiculous creature she had ever witnessed.

A dog-like being that stood upright like a human. However, such a term was used loosely since, well, it did not look all that canine aside from its face and fluffy tail. A pair of neon colored horns curled out of its skull, just above its long, tufted ears, complete with piercings that lined the length of them. Her lilac nose twitched ever so slightly, perhaps sampling the air about this particular area or attempting to hold back a sneeze, likely the latter as a forked, blue tongue flicked out to lick it. Their coat a variety of brilliant colors striped down its body with darker hued patches splotched over it, or at least what the woman could see as it was wearing a librarian's manner of clothing. In a way it made an interesting contrast between the darker, muted colors of the librarian attire and the creature's thick, bright fur. Even with the thick fluff that covered this staff member's body, it still had plenty to spare as it had styled the longer outcropping on its head to cover one of its eyes, which apparently were a bright shade of magenta. Claws that were of the same color as its horns, that same neon green, held a sort of device in them. To top all this off, what she had thought were possibly thick soled shoes or pumps of some sort, were in actuality hooves of, you guessed it, blinding neon green. A set of bangles were wrapped around them, just below the hocks. Although they were far too large for its legs, they seemed to sit just fine upon them.

"Hi there dearie! I heard someone asked for a translator?" She greeted, holding up the pad-like device. Turning to fully face her, the badge that displayed her name read one, simple name. Donutt.

"Yes, I did. There are three books that need translating." Monica replied after taking a moment to fully appreciate the being's... lustrous color scheme. Or perhaps she should have called it eye searing. Either way, Donut certainly stood out in a crowd. She pushed the books in particular forward as the librarian walked toward the desk, her bright eyes looking over the tomes thoughtfully.

"Ah, I see. A demonologist, are we?" She hummed as she activated the translator and set it to scan the first book, one of the tomes that were in Latin. "Nice to see someone who doesn't just go by the popular sellers. Many of them tend to be inaccurate, it's the older books that tend to be more accurate, demonology was a more popular practice in the older days of that dimension. Then again demons tended to be fairly prevalent themselves back then too." She mused, letting the device do its work.

"Yes, I have noticed that as well. It certainly makes one wonder." Monica replied, flipping to the next page of her book. "Are you going to be staying with me so long as I need the translator or should I take it back with me to the desk once I am done using it?' She asked.

"We tend to trust our patrons to not misuse them, but if you need any assistance, I have a few other duties in this section of the library, so just ask and I'll be over in a flash." She leaned a little closer, "Literally. Teleporting is one of my abilities, although I do enjoy walking sometimes. Something about getting the legs moving." She said, standing upright. "Anyway, just ask if you need anything." She repeated, before -wof!- she was gone in a flash of... glitter?

Yep, that was glitter, alongside a slight aroma of vanilla and cinnamon. The glitter itself did not seem to touch floor, but instead disintegrate before it made contact. Interesting, but not so much to distract from her reading material. Closing the book on American Demonology, she opened the tome that Donutt had tested the translating device on and went to reading.
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 46

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Re: Got Any Books with Sweet Pentagrams?

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 am

Time: 7:30 PM

Of the three books that needed to be translated, the ones in Latin were far more insightful. Interestingly enough, there were not many demons that represented deadly sins, but the ones that did were fairly high ranking. Even so, only a few of them caught the woman's eye as she read through the texts, the device that was placed upon the book translating every scribed word before her eyes. Truly, technology was a wondrous thing.

Abbadon, Aamon, Lucifer... Their names were tucked away for future reference, along with their behavior. Perhaps they could be linked to the seven that were inside the Lord of Terror? Not directly in name and influence, but more in terms of power. However, even with that possibility, there was little known about what kind of demons were exactly inside of it. Despite this, Monica could not help but wonder if it was a correlation or merely coincidence. If there were more demons that the Lord of Terror could have pulled into itself, would it have? Or were those others that were a part of it the only truly important ones that it needed? Alas, while these questions were well and insightful, the more pressing matter was not which demons were inside the lord of Terror, but what they could do.

Already she had seen some facets of its behavior that were similar to the Chullachaqui and a few of the Goetian demons, but otherwise it had no resemblance to any others.

So far in all the books that could be read, the demon tricked through illusion, to make one think they were something else entirely, or to make the victim see things that were not.Although some could be powerful enough to invoke storms, war, and disease, others were rather mundane. They implanted suggestions, tugged upon the interests that dwelled deep in the darkest recesses of the mind and heart, essentially looking into a mortal's very soul. Her thoughts went back to a desert evening, a man dressed in a black business suit standing next to a living corpse...

"For whatever reason unbeknownst to me, the Lochlann demon was successful in overcoming my mental defenses. The suppression aura you felt is perhaps a likely suspect, yet there is no definitive indicator."

Could this have been what had made the demon able to overcome his defenses? Not a psychic ability but merely a supernatural affinity to gaze into one's soul? Although if that was the case, then the machine would have not been affected. After all, he had yet to hear or see of a vehicle or AI that held a life energy signature or soul within its being. Yet all the same, all who died upon this dimension, whether they be machine, animal, or human all went to the pool of souls. Could this place merely hold a different law in regards to what holds life and what does not? After all, when stone and trees alike were broken, they did not dissipate into code. Hmm. it would be something worth looking into, if it applied. Otherwise it could be just as readily discerned that perhaps the demon of Lochlann used a different means to read what the AI held within its databanks. Her thoughts went to a slight green alien, talkative and friendly in disposition.

He had been able to speak with beings both living and non via thought alone and the Judge? He could readily gain information from an object by touching it. Pale fingers tapped idly against the wooden desktop, contemplating. Likely the Lochlann demon used a similar method to extract the vehicle's fears, for if the Judge could recover an entire event in time from touching a bloodied child's toy, if the demon was as powerful as he had indicated, one could only imagine what it could glean by merely glancing at something. After all, the demon had only sprung up from the ground once the illusions had been met with the Judge's gaze, perhaps one did not need to look directly at the demon in order to feel fear but more it was an aura that it placed out?

But if that was true, then the fear the illusions had felt would not have upset the demon. Her fingers stopped their thrumming upon the desk as her dark eyes cast themselves back to the text upon the translator. Wait a moment... She turned fully to look at the device picking it up to read over. For all of her effort to figure out correleating behavior and identify exactly what sort of demon the creature of Lochlann could be related to, she had nearly skipped over a very important detail.

Many of the demons could be warded against, either through prayer slips, summoning circles, the application of certain fetishes or symbols within the home or other methods. If this was the case, could this be applicable to the demon of Lochlann? After all, it was a highly supernatural being, favoring the metaphysical and spiritual to the tangible and concrete.

That realized, Monica pushed back her chair and stood up, removing the translator from the Latin demonology box and gently closing the cover. "Donutt." She called, mindfull to keep her voice down in the place of study and research.

Immediately, there was a -wof!- heralded by sparkling rainbow glitter and a scent of vanilla and cinnamon. Once again the vibrantly colored fluffy creature of un-discernible species stood before her, their dispositions and coloration a sharp contrast to each other. "You rang, dearie?" She greeted cheerfully, her fluffy tail sweeping from side to side in order to clear the air of the after effect of her arrival. Either comfortable with the scent or unaffected by it, Monica made no move to step away from the rainbow colored creature and gave a small nod of her head.

"Yes, I wanted to say that I am done using the translator. Also, I believe I have read all that I needed here, and I'll be taking my leave." She replied evenly, handing the translator over to the librarian. "Thank you for your help."

The translator having been returned to its proper owner, or at least one that was qualified with the keeping of such devices, Donutt tucked it under her arm for the journey back to the front desk. "Alright, don't worry about the books, we'll take care of that." She assured, already walking past the bladck-clad woman in order to tend to the tomes that were left upon the desk. Instead of being strewn about however, most had been neatly stacked once she had been done reading them. The only ones that had not been stacked were the Latin demonology books she had just finished reading. That said, Monica bid Donutt farewell and left her to her work.

However, Monica's own work was far from done, even as she strode towards the front of the library. Only it was a different library she would need to visit in order to satiate her curiosities.

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 am