Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Nascence [Week 4 - 6]

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:27 pm

The alien finally nodded, taking the Judge's word on the subject and leaving it at that. He was beginning to feel like he was worried over nothing. He probably was, though he still wanted to make sure he got Judge Fear's perspective and answer. So long as that answer wasn't 'Get out of my sssight I'm tired of looking at you and lissstening to your whiny problemsss', everything was going fine. At least, as fine as it could when you're undergoing a 3 month training session to banish your inner demons.

"I...don't." Kev answered, a little hesitant. There was the easy answer that Shiro would surely come back for his little sister...but he died before. Died and left her behind. If he had died this time as well, he could just as easily leave her alone once again. The alien tensed however, at the further implications the Judge suggested. "If he got upset at me for letting you kill him, I would have punched him right in the gabba. Stubborn fool...his sister would probably get upset. When I suggested to her that he may need to die, she was resistant. It was just like Jak all over again..." Not wanting to die to fix something fundamentally wrong...did they want to just live forever under Daemeon's control? They didn't put forth the effort to track him down or rid his influence from them. They just wanted to sit there and be sad about it. "Mmm..." He sighed, but did not argue the Judge's point. It had merit.

He did glance at the Judge when he made a sound, a very inquisitive one. Still wiping at his eyes, they glanced away when the Judge insisted he cry as necessary. "Thank you, sir." On one hand, it felt good to cry like this. He didn't feel nearly as ashamed as he used to, not after that first week where he seemed to cry everyday. On the other hand, he felt as though he were crying too much. Suck it up, be stronger, don't cry, it felt like he was admitting defeat when he cried during training. Earlier as well, the Judge had goaded him by mockingly asking if he was going to cry. It stung a bit, especially now that he was crying yet again. His hands rubbed at his eyes more fervently, though he remembered what else the Judge had said today. Harsssh they may be and cruel, they are nothing more than an old Judge'sss bark. Do not let them disssturb you, cadet. You are ssstronger than that. The Judge was here now, speaking honestly and insisting that it was better to cry then to keep it bottled up. When he mocked him before, it had been for the sake of the exercise. Kev took a few more deep breathes, and the urge to cry passed. His eyes felt a bit scratchy, but on the whole he felt better. He didn't feel quite so numb.

"So you two have as much to work with as we do." One of these days, it'd be nice to sit the Portal down and ask him all of the questions that burned in the minds of the citizens. "Sounds like a fair point." No matter how low he got, how much Kev may think it'd be easier to just die, and no matter how he may die in the future, he would always come back. He was stubborn, and he had people he cared for. Only when there was nothing else for him, would he allow himself to die forever.

The alien turned over on his side to better look at Judge Fear, propping his head up with his arm. "When I was positive before, it was because I was being hopeful about this, which is wrong. So what should I do to focus on the positive and the good?" Three weeks ago...it felt so long ago. "I do feel different...but I don't know if it's good or bad. My body does feel better, and I like it. I feel fit, and strong. The physical exercises were fine until today, because things got a bit more difficult and I felt like I was failing all over again. Like...all of the past three weeks were for nothing because when you changed things up a little bit it was so hard for me to do. And the mental exercises..." Kev brought his knees closer, curling up. "Even with the techniques, I feel scared to get started. Seeing and feeling all of that day after day...it's exhausting. I know I have to do it, but..." The messy death of his spawn, Mary dying again, Leslie dying, all of the Phazon, his own Phazon infected form...and then the dropping of the nukes. The alien shivered. "And I fail it...I always fail it...it makes anything I've managed to do right beforehand seem so...small. Makes it hard to see the good." He failed it, and Judge Fear usually had to fix him up afterwards.

"Sure, Law School." If Law School put him through the ringer and gave him traumas to overcome, then by all means! From what Kev had heard about it, it sounded like it very well might have...the alien unfurled himself to a more lax position next to the Judge. His eyes on the Judge and also on the scenery behind him. Law School sounded absolutely horrible, and the Judges had no choice but to embrace the things that happened. To do otherwise meant death...or worse. Kev shivered deeply at the very thought of it. "I guess I wouldn't have lasted very long in your School." Here's hoping Kev would have become a prop and died rather then crack and be sent to the science department. That was just...cruel. In fact, it sounded vaguely criminal. "Numb..." Kev made a thoughtful noise. "But there is a...good kind of numb and a bad kind, right? I guess the good kind is focusing on the mission and on surviving. Apathy...you don't focus on much. I'll work on focusing on training..." After being stabbed, rotted, and hacked at for countless hours, numbness definitely grew and became a part of him. Perhaps a bit too much...

Kev was so used to Fear's invulnerable nature and his disregard for being injured, that to even imagine a Judge Fear who could be killed at any moment was strange. "Is it comforting, to not have to worry about that kind of thing anymore? Especially here, where people don't like you so much." The Judge no longer had to worry about being killed in his sleep, or anything of the kind. It was a sad state, in that Fear would never get relief and rest until all life was purged...yet he never had to worry about being done in. He no longer needed to fear death. In the end, Judge Fear found all of those stresses and all of that suffering worth it to be doing a job he loved that served good food. "Mmm..." Kev supposed that when you were taught to do your job or die, you found a way to really, really like your job. Even if it was a bit problematic...in the end, the Law School was to blame for the Judges coming to their 'lawful' conclusion. They merely took the next step. "Since I do have a choice, I suppose I should try harder."

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

"If he got upset at me for letting you kill him, I would have punched him right in the gabba."

"HA!" Alright, that earned a sensible chuckle from this old horse. "Mar, Megamind, Ssshiro, Blade... You ever wonder why thessse people flock to you, cadet?" Judge Fear was rather surprised that Kev hadn't connected the dots sooner, but... then again it was Kev, so... "Methinksss that you pitying thessse lossst causssesss wasss what attracted them in the firssst place, mm... And you, being the gullible nimrod that you are, kept feeding their endlesssss appetitesss for attention and needy naturesss." Emotional parasites, yeah? "And before you even sssay anything," because the Dark Judge wasn't obtuse, "you do not pity me and I am not a lossst caussse. It jussst ssso happensss that you have a ssspace dragon to rub out and I've judgement to passss." Not at all one-sided. Certainly not at all healthy, but it beat the possible alternative: emotional vampirism to the point of death. Actually, no... That sounded rather decent in the ghoul's twisted mind. Think it too late to shake things up?

Curiously, the alien decided to shift onto his side and resume conversation with the Dark Judge in this manner. It was an... odd position, admittedly. Perhaps the alien had grown tired of lying on his back? Mortal woes, alas. The spine in Judge Fear's host didn't offer much in the way of flexibility. "Let me ssstop you right there," he hissed, interjecting. "You sssaid 'all the passst three weeksss were for nothing'; that'sss fairly negative, cadet. How can you ssstrive to sssee the benefitsss of your training if you are too caught up with your failuresss?" Remember what the fiend had said, Kev? About not letting failures define yourself?

"You are going to repeatedly ssstruggle, cadet. My brothersss ssstruggled, I ssstruggled, everyone ssstrugglesss. When we graduated from Law Ssschool with top honoursss and earned our full badgesss, do you think we got there by resssenting our hardssshipsss? Of courssse not! We took them, each bloody one, and usssed them asss the building blocksss for our sssuccesssss." A proper Judge barely had enough time to worry about what creeps had it in for them, let alone the Judge's personal woes. "Every cut, every bruissse, every broken bone and blackened eye, we usssed to remind usss of what lay in ssstore for usss once we passssed. That'sss the bessst motivation there isss!" Judge Fear opined. "We kept our headsss in the game, determined to rissse to the top with nothing but our sssweat and grit. Although, if I am to be honessst, Judge Death climbed hisss way up the ladder by, aha, bumping a few competitorsss off along the way. He isss a cunning visssionary, that Judge Death." You wouldn't dare think about trying to axe your kind, honest, and loyal instructor, would you, Kev?

It'd definitely be a refreshing surprise to Judge Fear's monotonous unlife, but you currently didn't have the means.

"I guess I wouldn't have lasted very long in your School."

Ain't that the truth, too. "You're far too old," the Dark Judge remarked. "What are you, fifty-sssix? No, no. Too old. Mossst cadetsss are introduced to Law Ssschool at a fairly young age, where they are malleable and easssier to bounce back from minor injuriesss. Knowing your luck, cadet, you'd pick up a firearm and ssshoot yourssself in the foot." That was a rather hilarious mental image, come to think.

"Numb? Mm..." Could the ghoul really call himself numb, both before and after transcending his mortal shell? "I think 'numb' isss the wrong word. Rather, we developed a thick ssskin and kept our witsss about ourssselvesss. Every waking hour we ssspent alert, ready for everything and anything. You can't be numb and indifferent to an environment that isss volatile from one moment to the next. Like I sssaid, any of thossse ssseconds could be your lassst." Which had the alien wondering: was it comforting to no longer have this worry? A good question, a good question... Judge Fear wasn't used to being asked these sorts of inquiries; he tended to purge a sinner faster than they could even utter a complete syllable. Look how privileged you are, Kev. "Hmm, I wasss never much one who cared about what people thought of me..." he rasped. Why bother? The ghoul had a job to do and he was going to damn well do it, with or without someone's blessing. "You don't get much done with sssoft elbowsss, ssso you have to sssharpen them up a bit and ssshove your way through. Now, asss for me no longer having to worry about physssical pain? A pleasssant perk, I think. I can keep doing what I love and not have to ssstop for anything in-between. I'm never hungry, never thirsssty, never tired, though... jumping from hossst to hossst can be sssomewhat problematic. Rigor mortisss usssually sssettlesss in and then you find yourssself having the elasssticity of a damn rock." Some pros with the cons.

I suppose I should try harder, admitted Kev.

That was a start. "I think you ssshould try on calming your nervesss and realizing that everything you are experiencing, from the physssical pain to the mental, isss for the greater good. It hurtsss now, but you will be too pleasssantly happy with the resssultsss to rightfully care. Impermanence, cadet, impermanence. Why, your training will be over before you even know it." So just concentrate on what matters and never lose sight of your end goal.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Sounds like Judge Fear approved of Kev's methods for dealing with Shiro's possible disagreement with his death. Score! As for why these sorts of people flocked to Kev? "Because I'm too nice." Was Kev's answer, while Fear's answer was pity. "When I was friends with Jak, I didn't really pity him. Megamind, Shiro and Blade you have a point, but Jak? I was just trying to be nice. And when he acted like a jerk, I got right out of that. Though maybe if he were more subtle..." Jak was at least very forward and obvious with his worse behavior. Shiro, Blade and Megamind all hid their worst characteristics behind pathetic fronts. 'Boo-hoo' this and 'poor me' that. The alien had been drawn to trying to help, thinking that he was being a good friend, and in the end...he huffed a sigh. "My pity and help will be reserved for people who have proven themselves to be good friends." Now, what was this? Kev arched a brow at his instructor. Trying to sooth any worries, was he? "Yes, sir. Exactly. I don't pity you, and you aren't a lost cause." Judge Fear's past was hardly pleasant, and the alien did feel sympathy towards the ghoul but pity...mmm. It wasn't pity, so much as a protective type of feeling that he didn't want anyone to hurt the Judge, especially not Judge Death. And if he were truly a lost cause, the Judge would have killed him several times over by now. "This is an equal relationship." The alien may or may not have a trace of mischief in his eyes at that one.

He blinked at the Judge curiously when stopped, head tilting. "It is negative, but it does feel that way when I fail. I feel like...a disappointment. How well can I be doing if a few extra pounds, or more reps is so difficult?" He was better then he was when he first started, but what if he wasn't good enough? What if this was the best he could be? "Over the next few weeks, I'll improve and do better...and then it'll change again and I'll go back to struggling for a few weeks...and then..." The alien's brows suddenly furrowed as something dawned on him. "...And then eventually I'll be done with my training." And all of that struggling would have made for building blocks to more muscles then he had now. To being stronger. Even now, he had found a way to get over those physical woes. Perhaps by the end of it all...none of it would hurt anymore. "This isn't the best I'm going to be..." In a couple of months' time...he could be stronger, and he would know he had earned it. Every tear, every numb pain, every nightmare, would in the end make for a stronger, more capable Kev. Guess it was a good thing Kev didn't have any other Cadets he'd have to bump off to improve! "A visionary, mmm. Did you, Mortis and Fire bump off any competitors too?" It sounded like those three worked their bruukas off and Death, although no slouch, just killed a few wherever he needed to.

Kev nodded, slightly surprised that the Judge remembered exactly how old he was. "Fifty six, yes. Not the same as a human's fifty six, I'm still a young adult. I still have a few decades until I'm middle aged." Aren't you happy, Judge Fear? Even if people aged against their will here, Kev wouldn't die of old age for another hundred years, a hundred and fifty if he was lucky. No matter the age though, Kev was still an adult. He wasn't so easy to change and turn. "Maybe that's why all the spawn were raised in the nurseries on my planet...to keep them from birth and teach them everything they wanted to teach them." Though he came out of his thinking to shoot the Judge a look. "Hey! I wouldn't...mmm...well okay, with my luck I guess I would shoot myself in the foot. Or maybe the face." Good thing they didn't have any weapon training.

Numb was wrong. "A thick skin?" The alien prodded at the skin on his own arms experimentally. Rather then become numb and detached, the Judges became hyper alert and rougher. Harder to hurt, and harder to shake out of their thoughts and actions. Everything they went through became a building block for their determination. No wonder Judge Fear was so adamant about his job. "I see." And the alien couldn't help a slight snort at the Judge's admission that he wasn't one to care what others think. "That's for sure, sir." Fear wasn't the type of guy to ask politely before walking by, his elbows were sharpened and he'd carve a path if he had to. He didn't care what others thought about it, either! And indeed, mortal worries were no longer an issue. Judge Fear had several times forgotten about Kev's own mortal needs. Lucky Judge, going around without needing to absorb sunlight, keep warm or drink water. Though there was one slight problem that Fear's present state held... "Is there anything you can do to improve elasticity?"

Kev's answer seemed satisfactory, the Judge insisting that all of this pain and suffering would be over in a few weeks. By the end of his training, he would feel stronger, better, faster. He'd be stronger in mind and spirit as well. Fewer worries...fewer things that tugged on his mind and gave him pause. "It does sound rather nice..." This wasn't forever...it would be over before he knew it. "What'll you do when it's over? Just go back to wherever you and Mortis are, and get back to your job?" The Judge had a lot of killing to catch up on.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 am

"Or too naive." That was also a strong possibility. But the fiend supposed Kev had a point. Mar hadn't exactly been the most tactful with his transparent act; brooding nature this, brooding nature that. The 'bad boy' routine was only charming for so long. "So I am a good friend, then?" Judge Fear inquired. The alien didn't pity him, as already established, but that little tidbit about acquiring weapons of mass destruction? Oh yes, that absolutely constituted as help. Can't remember the last time a mortal contributed to the Dark Judges' agenda in such a grandiose way... Let's see, there was Judge Kraken assisting Necropolis' construction; however, he had been coerced. There had also been, mm... Ah, bugger all. Judge Fear was drawing a blank. There were a few peons manipulated here and there, but they had been small fry.

"This is an equal relationship."

Hmph! And would you listen to this mischievous imp? "Age before beauty, cadet." And that meant respecting your elders.

Doubts.

Nothing but doubts kept scrambling Kev's resolve. Was this what it was like to lack self-confidence? "I'm going to let you in on a little sssecret," Judge Fear rasped. To throw the alien a bone, as it were. "You've plenty of time on your ssshouldersss, yesss? An hour each night for yourssself and an entire Sssunday, mm... Though I reckon you prefer your leisssurely activitiesss and sssome relaxation, you could alssso look to the alternative: working out and practicing your techniquesss off the clock. That'sss how we did it, sssee. We put our nosssesss to the grindssstone and ssshowed both our peersss and tutorsss that we badly wanted to passss." There was nothing wrong with taking a little initiative, was there? It might be even do the alien a whole heap of good! "If a tutor demanded 100%, we gave them 120%. Except in areasss that we ssstruggled to polisssh. Then we sssimply gave 100%." Can't be exceptional in everything, alas. "Eh? Bump off a few? Let'sss sssee, now..." Had to really scrub deep down for this one. ...Maybe? ...Probably? A competitive environment such as Law School encouraged shrewd thinking and a desire to climb the ranks.

"Mm, I do not know, to be frank," mumbled the Dark Judge. "I could have and I could have not... It all happened ssso very long ago. Though I do remember that Judge Death wasssn't afraid to tessst the watersss and sssee what he could get away with. Quite a lot, actually. He wasss a damn terrifying force to be reckoned with." So you can see why it was a smart move to join him. If they hadn't, they would have certainly been purged with the other Judges!

And no, Judge Fear was not enthused to hear that Kev was a young adult with a century to go before kicking the bucket. "Aliensss..." he snorted. Of course Kev would have superior longevity to that of the average human. Just the Dark Judge's luck, eh?

"Nurssseriesss, ssschoolsss, daycaresss; all the sssame sssocial conssstructsss necessssary in raisssing and molding future generationsss to become complacent with the current normsss and valuesss. It'sss nothing more than conditioning, cadet." Shoot himself in the face? That was a certain kind of special, right there. "Oh don't be ridiculousss. Ssshoot yourssself in the face? The only way you'd manage that isss by looking down the barrel of your own gun. Or, mm... if you dropped it and were ssstupid enough to keep it loaded with the sssafety off, thereby dissscharging the round." But the chances of that happening would be slim! If anything, Kev would probably blast off a testicle or two. "Ha ha..." What a wonderful thought! No more baby aliens to plague this world. Wishful daydreaming found itself pushed to the wayside as Kev asked yet another question.

The alien was apparently full of them.

This time he inquired about a possible way of increasing a corpse's elasticity. What did Kev expect him to do, enlist in a local yoga class and do Pilates on the side? "I usssed to be able to bend down and touch my toesss, but doing that in thisss body will only ssslip a disssc. And yesss a thick ssskin. 'Toughen up, buttercup', asss the fourth yearsss liked to sssay. Damn rugratsss..." Alas, alas.

"What'll you do when it's over? Just go back to wherever you and Mortis are, and get back to your job?"

"Kill sssinnersss." Duh. If you ask a stupid question...

But in all seriousness, Judge Fear was going to leap straight into the wilderness and go hog-wild on any living encampment he stumbled upon. And then, once he was finished making the countryside a more lawful place, he was going to gradually make his rounds at the city's regular haunts. "Kill sssinnersss, rub a few elbowsss with the local populace, and prepare a meeting with Ridley," he decided. There, that was a decent game plan, wasn't it? Better than D-jumping into a random dimension and getting locked in Boing!, the ghoul can tell you that! Ah, but that'll be soon... No need to worry about it quite yet, particularly when there were still things to do. The day was still young.

By now it was getting darker, the sun's cheerful rays slowly dipping past the faraway horizon. Soon it will be eventide, mm... And soon, after Kev had finished the rest of his tasks for the day, it would be time to venture elsewhere. The alien no doubt wanted to be relieved of this chilly air, both natural and otherwise.

"Alright, we have yapped enough," Judge Fear remarked. For nearly three hours, too. "It will be time for your reading exercissse within fifteen minutesss, cadet. I've nothing elssse to dissscusss for today, ssso be off with you. Disssmissssed."

You have your orders, cadet.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:10 pm

"That too." Too nice, too naive, tendency to pity lost causes...this was why he needed to change. Not too much, of course. He wasn't looking to be some sort of 'badass' who kills anyone that looks at him wrong. He needed to be...less nice. Less naive. He needed to stop pitying lost causes, because this path was self-destructive and painful. He needed to change, and he'd found a way here, with Judge Fear. It was with that in mind that the alien nodded to the corpse sincerely. "Yes, sir. You are a good friend." Not exactly the best person, what with the genocide and all, but...he was a loyal friend. A good listener, and he felt...stable and secure. Again, very...odd considering the corpse's job, but it still felt right. He openly snorted at the Judge's response. "Does that mean you think I'm beautiful?~" Kekeke...

On a more serious note, the Judge offered to share a secret, the alien scooting closer with a curious look in his eyes. His head tilted to the side, taking it all in. Practice during his time off? "That is...a very smart idea, actually. On Sundays I can practice with the dumbbells and during my leisure hour and Sundays, I can practice the shield techniques." The more natural the dumbbells felt in his hands, and the easier it was to create several layers for the shield, the more he would progress in his training. It would also give him something to do, not that he really had much time to sit by and stare at the walls...but even if he felt tired and laid on the couch all day Sunday, he could practice lifting the dumbbells. "I'll try that out, sir, and we'll see how it goes." Whether it made him more tired than before or if it built up his stamina, they would know in a week or so's time.

The corpse really had to do some thunking to remember if they had ever killed anyone to get ahead, suppose it made sense since it was several hundred years ago. Kev waited patiently, head cocked to the side as in the end, he just could not recall. One might think that murdering one's classmate might be a memorable occurrence, but if it was so common place and the cadets taught to murder so young...well, murdering a classmate was just another Tuesday, right? In the end, there was no way to know for sure. Judge Death was a definite however, apparently quite the force due to his reckless and unpredictable ways. "I see." And as Judge Fear pointed out that schools, nurseries and daycares all had the same purpose...Kev was suddenly very glad that there was no such thing on the Breach. "Although teaching spawn things is obviously important, I think they should be taught many things so they can make the right choices for themselves, rather then cramming in only one viewpoint into them." Kev knew he wasn't stupid enough to look into a gun. As for dropping one, however... "The dropping it one is the one that I was thinking of. That, or trying some fancy gun tricks and shooting myself that way." He didn't quite find the idea of shooting himself nearly as funny as Judge Fear did.

Wow, do you even bend, Judge Fear? "Hm...maybe you need a new body? Though it'd only be flexible for a couple of days maximum..." Another downside of being undead, he supposed. Toughen up, buttercup...that was a new one. These rugrats were pretty clever at rhyming! The blunt answer drew another snort. "Of course." Kill sinners, rub elbows with the populace, and...prepare a meeting with Ridley. "Right, of course." After this training, he would really have his chance, wouldn't he? He'd finally get to kill him...it almost made him feel excited! Well, excited and scared. Kev looked back to the Judge and blinked, only now seeming to realize how dark it was getting. Had three hours passed by already? Formally dismissed to return to reading, the alien nodded and bent himself over, picking himself up with ease. Though his body betrayed a few twinges of soreness and fatigue, it was still a lot easier for him to get up then for a dead corpse. The alien stretched, bones cracking, before giving his instructor a nod. "See you inside, sir." He turned on his heel, and walked inside the cottage.
    ---
    With his book and his Dictionary collected, as well as his folder, the alien fixed himself a glass of water before he sat down on the couch and got to reading. His pencil was picked up a few times, scribbling down any new words that were soon found inside of the dictionary, and the alien had to contend with a cat that kept trying to lay down on all of his books in an attempt to lay in his lap. Eventually she settled for sleeping next to his knee, and Percy had gathered at his feet on the floor. The alien had to reign himself in numerous times to avoid skipping ahead and ignoring the words he didn't understand, intrigued to see where things would end up going for Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. With such a bad first impression for the two of them, they initially had some negative feelings, though it seems Mr. Darcy had come around and actually started to like her. Elizabeth was still rather stubborn however, which made it even more interesting!

Mr. Darcy's friendship with Mr. Bingley was also of note to the alien. One aloof and seen as an antisocial jerk, the other easily getting along with most people and quite nice. They also differed in their approaches to their apparent lady loves. Mr. Bingley and Jane seemed to hit it off instantly, the two of them equally interested in the other during their dances. Elizabeth was quite harder to impress. Alas, his hour was up and soon it would be time for dinner. He had almost forgotten that he had had lunch, though with some thought he remembered it, and how delicious it had been. Here's hoping dinner was just as good! The alien closed both of his books and set them on the coffee table, giving his eyes a rub.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:27 pm

"Yes, sir. You are a good friend."

Huh, that was...

"Not on your sssinful life, cadet," was the Dark Judge's answer to Kev's shameless question. Beauty was to Kev as stink was to a monkey. And of course it was a smart idea. Was not the ghoul an intelligent spirit of the law? "Yesss, try it out. It will not hurt you to become more proactive with your training." Instead of reactionary and anxious. A productive mindset was half the battle, after all.

In regards to raising children, there was a bit of a disagreement. "An admirable goal," Judge Fear hissed, "but it isss easssier sssaid than done, cadet. Raisssing an entire generation isss nothing sssimple, let alone educating them to be conssscientiousss adultsss. The true path, therein, isss to prevent their exissstence entirely. For, if the education sssyssstem failsss or the culture'sss valuesss are objectively criminal, what isss the likelihood that thessse children will ensssure a lawful future? Mm, too open-ended for my tassstesss. With free will comesss great risssk and uncertainty." And as for Kev not being stupid enough to stare down the business end of a loaded firearm, well... the Dark Judge respectfully kept his opinion to himself. "But cadet, you do not know any fancy gun tricksss." Squeezing the trigger does not count.

Maybe you need a new body...

Judge Fear gave it some thought but ultimately had to shake his head. "It wouldn't matter," he rasped. "Once a ssstiff, alwaysss a ssstiff. Thessse hossstsss are imperfect." Though there was a time where Judge Death had tried to commandeer the perfect vessel. A pity it did little in the way of stopping Judge Dredd and Psi-Judge Anderson. It was also quite... hideous.

"See you inside, sir."

"Farewell, cadet." And now to spend the rest of these fifteen minutes getting up...

Dinner was the same as it usually was: a nice bowl of hot soup and a refreshing glass of ice-cold water. Tonight's menu was chicken noodle, though the alien would not be able to appreciate the meaty chunks and vegetables. Metus would ensure that nothing went to waste. He even got to lick the spoon and sprinkled a bit of dog slobber love like he normally did! Judge Fear also remembered to heat everything up in a pot, bless him.

"It isss time for your evening meal," echoed a deep voice throughout the cottage. "You have thirty minutesss, ssstarting now." Best not to be late, hmm?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Sounds like someone doesn't want to admit that someone else is beautiful. For shame. As for becoming more proactive, he thought he was being plenty proactive, but if that was the criticism he had to give... Well, as a loyal and great cadet, he would simply have to accept it and do as suggested. On the subject of child rearing, Judge Fear found it too hard to raise a generation of spawn. Especially if the core values they needed to learn were criminal or faulty. The true solution was the only solution! Obviously, preventing any future generations by wiping everyone out. "Mmm." An extreme reaction, but by now it was expected. "I know a few. Like spinning the gun around on my finger tip. And...throwing it into the air." Those were gun tricks, right?

And alas, so long as Judge Fear inhabited a dead body, any dead body, it was going to be full of imperfections. Specifically, the rotting, the smell, and rigor mortis. How unfortunate, but such was life! Exercise over with, the alien left Judge Fear to do whatever Judges do, oblivious to his difficulty picking himself up.
    ---
    There was a smell of chicken in the air, and the alien tilted himself backwards on the couch to sniff. "Mmm..." He waited patiently until the Judge himself spoke up, announcing that dinner was ready. "Coming, sir." Shally was moved aside so he could stand, the cat easily flopping back onto the cushion and stretching her fronts paws out. She peeked up at the alien, giving a soft mew. The alien gave her a small pat on the head before he walked into the kitchen. Sorry Shally, but dinner was timed! Kev seated himself at the table and pulled his gloves off, setting them across his lap. "Thank you for the soup, sir."

Not wanting to waste any more time, the alien slid both sets of fingers into the soup. A bit tentative in case it was boiling hot, once it seemed to be a fine temperature, he slipped his fingers in even more. The soup was rather filling, even though he could only 'eat' the broth. From what he had seen, this type of soup usually had bits of chicken and vegetables to go with the noodles, which felt rather slippery and wet to the touch. A bit disarming at first, but he merely nudged them to the side as he drained the broth in silence. Eventually only the noodles were left, and the alien withdrew his hands. Wiping them on a napkin, he dipped a few of his fingers into the glass of water. The broth was nice, but a little salty, so the water was greatly appreciated. Eventually that was drained too, and Kev again wiped his hands on the napkin. "I am finished, sir. Though...what are we going to do with the noodles?" The alien had a feeling that Metus would be involved in that solution.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 pm

Nope, those were not tricks. You should be ashamed!

"You are welcome, cadet." Alas, the ghoul was not the best of cooks. The kitchen was as foreign to him as the sun's rays bearing down on his host's rancid flesh. Regardless, he let Kev enjoy his meal in peace and did not disturb the alien. Metus, however... "Hnngh..." A whine escaped his pleading face and he looked up at Kev with those big, loving eyes. "Metusss, wait for him to be finissshed," Judge Fear scolded the hungry pooch. You can wait a little longer, can't you? It was a miracle that the Great Dane didn't whine louder, but he did as he was told and removed his head off the table. His obedience was rewarded when Kev had finished his evening meal soon after.

Now was the time to feast. There was a flash of sharpened white teeth as Metus planted his forepaws onto the table and stretched his neck, mouth reaching for the alien's bowl. Bold fellow, wasn't he? The attempt was a success and the Great Dane left with his rightly spoils, nails lightly tapping against the kitchen's wooden floorboards.

Fret not, friend! Those pesky noodle clumps and chicken bits won't be troubling you anymore.

As the dog disappeared around a corner and began audibly lapping up the rest of Kev's dinner, it was time for the alien's review. Oh boy, you liked this, didn't you, Kev? Two disproportional jars on the kitchen counter were brought to attention, Judge Fear holding up a bag of marbles in one gangrenous hand. "When you are ready to begin," he hissed, "we ssshall begin your assssessssment for the day." And after that, it was Kev's favourite hour: recreation! But first he needed to hear what criticisms and praise the Dark Judge had in store... If there was any of the latter.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:09 am

Well, looks like somebody wanted to partake in some of the soup. Kev gave the Great Dane a side-eyed glance, large brown eyes gazing up with love and hunger. 'Feed me', they said. Shameless. Typical dog. The alien shook his head with a slight snicker and focused on his meal, a bit thankful when Judge Fear ordered the dog to stop begging. Metus' patience was rewarded as Kev finished his meal, and no sooner had Kev asked what to do then Metus took matters into his own paws. The dog raised his paws onto the table and lifted the bowl right off using his teeth. Clever boy...the alien scooted back in his chair and tilted his head, eyes following the pooch as he left the kitchen and noisily ate what remained. His attention only left the direction Metus had gone when he heard glass being set down. Right...the jars. Kev folded his hands on the table and leaned forward slightly, eyes on the hand holding the marbles.

Judge Fear wrote:"When you are ready to begin, we ssshall begin your assssessssment for the day."

"I am ready, sir." Well, maybe not entirely ready. Kev had been pretty...mouthy, today. He was going to pay for his snappiness, wasn't he? Kev took a deep breath and steeled himself. It was just an assessment and these were just marbles. It wasn't going to be too bad! Just this, and then it was his leisure hour. You can do it, Kev.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 am

Alright, here we go. As with before, the positives of Kev's day were tallied first.

Plop!

One rosy marble was added to the alien's daily jar and it noisily rolled around. "For completing your physssical exercisssessss and doing them thoroughly, you have been awarded a merit," hissed the Dark Judge. Certainly better than Kev's first and second week. A second rattle disturbed the air as a green marble joined the other. "You have alssso earned a sssecond merit for managing to sssuccessssful conssstruct a psssychic ssshield." It may not have blocked out everything, but it had been strong enough to resist the physical woes of Kev's agonizing past on Portal Breach. Not long after that, a third and fourth marble found their way with the first and second. "And you have earned meritsss for properly taking care of your garden and consssissstently remaining on time. In total, cadet, you have earned four meritsss for the day." That's not a bad haul, considering! However...

Judge Fear reached a hand into the jar, sharpened fingertips grating against its glass bottom, and seized one of the marbles. "For being sssnappy with me and ssshowing disssressspect earlier in the day, you have earned a demerit." And so it begins. He reached in again and scooped up another. "For failing to lissstening to my inssstructionsss and arguing over it, you have earned a sssecond demerit." Bet you'll never throw your jacket on the ground again, huh? A third marble soon vanished. "For taking a breather when you were not inssstructed to, you have earned a third demerit."

That left just one.

One marble in the jar. Would it remain? Would it be confiscated?

A good long while passed as the Dark Judge kept his gaze locked onto Kev, seconds idly ticking by in utter quiet. Perhaps he was thinking, or perhaps he simply wished to mess with the alien's psyche... Alas, neither was the case as the ghoul's hand again reached into the jar and pinched Kev's fourth and final marble between two very grotesque fingernails. It lazily rolled around in his palm as Judge Fear's ethereal voice shook the kitchen. "Thisss would have been your one merit for the day," he rasped, tone level. No anger, no disappointment, not anything. Just the same mellow demeanour the Dark Judge was commonly known for. "And I would have been content to let you keep it, provided you had not done what you did." What could be so damning that it cost the alien his only merit?

"Your thought. Finisssh it, cadet. That isss an order, not a sssuggessstion."

"Hngh...! I was thinking, sir. That I was the one who was stupid enough to...care about you, like this. Up, down...to care too much about what you say and how you say it. About disappointing you and wasting your time, which I am. Two."

Do you remember?

"You lied." And that, cadet, was frankly unacceptable.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:11 am

The alien's head cocked to the side as a marble was dropped. True, merits were given out first, but to see that he had actually earned one? Apparently for completing his exercises. A second marble dropped in, awarded for managing to create a psychic shield. Not the best shield, but it had lasted a good while. Kev's eyes only seemed to widen as he was awarded a third, and even a fourth marble. For taking pride in his work in the garden, and being on time consistently! Well, he had to admit, he certainly did not expect that. 4 marbles...though, what did come next, he expected. As soon as the marbles had clinked their way into the jar, nimble fingers removed one of them. For talking back and disrespecting his instructor. The alien bowed his head, eyes on the table. Of course, he didn't need to see the jar to hear the clink and clatter of marbles being removed. Another one was removed for not following instructions and arguing about it, no doubt that was the jacket...and a third marble was removed for taking a breather. The alien did glance back at the Judge, not really remembering that. Of course, with everything that happened all day, he'd likely forget such a thing while the Judge remembered.

One marble was left, and the Judge was deathly quiet as the two of them looked at each other. Kev had not yet been dismissed...did this mean there was one more thing he had done wrong? Very probable. Today had not been his...finest day. A long, green hand snaked its way into the jar and picked up a marble that the Judge began to fiddle with. Kev put on his best poker-face to hear what he had done. What had cost him his only merit of the day.

"You lied."

The alien's stare widened, anxiety spiking up. Lied?! When had he lied?! It only took a small amount of pondering to realize what he spoke of though, because it had been the only thing Kev had lied about all day. Kev's eyes redirected themselves back down to the table, more then a little stunned. He had figured he'd gotten away with it, or at least that the Judge hadn't noticed. Instead he had, waiting for the right moment to remind him. Finally, the alien found his voice. "I-I'm sorry I lied...sir. It was a stupid thought."

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 am

"I-I'm sorry I lied...sir. It was a stupid thought."

Thought you could get away with lying to a psychic, hmm? That was very arrogant of you, but the price had already been paid. There was no reason to further humiliate the alien. "Apology accepted," Judge Fear hissed, putting the bag of marbles away. No merits earned for today, but at least there was a modest pile of them in Kev's overall jar. He was rather... eager to fill it up, which was mildly worrying for the Dark Judge's sake. It remained to be seen if the alien could indeed acquire enough merits to obtain the overall reward. If he repeatedly performed as he had today, that would never become a reality. "Your daily assssessssment isss now concluded, cadet. You may clean up your dissshesss and begin your recreational hour. Remember that lightsss are to be out at 2130, on the dot." Now was the perfect time for Kev to freshen himself up and soak those weary muscles. As for the ghoul?

His role for today had finally reached its conclusion. Things had been rather stressful, hadn't they? He left the alien to his devices, trusting that Kev knew better than to fool around, and shambled out the backdoor. No longer did it feel chilly and saturated with malaise.

It would be a while before Judge Fear returned from feeding Kev's animals.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:01 am

After the apology was accepted, Kev squinted his eyes shut, grabbing a hold of his chair. Fingers clenched into the wood as he prepared himself. Would the Judge make him tell the truth, repeat his thought honestly this time? The Judge moved on instead, deeming the assessment to be over. The alien let out a sigh of relief, eyes opening and hand releasing his chair almost eagerly. He looked at his overall jar, which had unfortunately not grown too much today. Mm...hopefully he could make up for that tomorrow. He really wanted to see what the reward was. "Yes, sir." Orders given and the Judge leaving to feed the animals, Kev stood up from his table and grabbed up the used glass. He placed it in the sink before poking his head around the corner of his kitchen. Eyes scanned the wood floor before he spied the bowl...still in Metus' reach. The dog was still cleaning the bowl, and Kev tip-toed his way closer before his hand darted out to yank the bowl away. He scooped out any food the remained and held his hand out for Metus, before giving him several strokes afterwards. "Sorry, boy. I have to clean this. Your slobber doesn't count as a suitable replacement for dish soap." The bowl was placed in the sink as well, and the alien lathered his dishes up with soap, scrubbing his bowl extra hard. Didn't want to eat any remnants of dog spit for breakfast...

Once the dishes had been dried and put away, Kev dried his hands before checking his clock. Ah, good. He still had time for a shower. Not a full on bath like he may have liked, but he needed that bath-time for something else. Making a slight detour to grab a few bits of lettuce, the alien scurried up the stairs and shut the doors behind himself. He slipped the lettuce into the tank for the turtles before he climbed into the bathtub. The shower was relaxing, if it weren't so cold outside he'd want to go swimming somewhere with how much the water seemed to help his body. Scrubbing off the toil of the day also felt nice. Kev lathered himself up good before rinsing it all off and drying himself. The wonders of having no hair to wash. He put on a fresh pair of pajamas, a shirt and a pair of pants to keep himself nice and warm for tonight. By the time Kev was downstairs again, the Judge had finished his own duties. Truthfully, it had taken Kev a while to build up the nerve to touch Judge Fear in any way that wasn't completely professional. The Judge was acting as his instructor, after all. However, the Judge didn't seem to mind so long as it was during Sundays and his recreational hour.

Only pausing for a moment, the alien soon shambled his way over to the corpse and wrapped his arms around him. It was always a little awkward, the Judge wore chains and was so much taller, but with a bit of shuffling, Kev found a good spot and nuzzled his face into the leathers. For his part, the Judge responded with a few light scratches on his scales, and the alien felt a rather nice feeling growing inside, likely the work of the Judge as well. He felt...warm. It was nice, and the thought he had had seemed even stupider now, in retrospect. Kev almost apologized again, but decided not to ruin the moment and instead began to shuffle the Judge into the living room and onto the couch, arms still secure around him. Hugging standing up was rather awkward...Kev adjusted himself again, a cautious eye on those mantraps, but eventually he found a spot again and resumed cuddling, the scratches resuming as well. Kev closed his eyes lightly and soaked it all in. Granted, he was hugging a cold, rotting corpse. The Judge didn't exactly smell like a pile of roses, but Kev had grown used to it. ...As well as turning his head away from the corpsey body to get in a few breathes of air that wasn't rotted, but he tried never to complain. Judge Fear was a good friend, he was a good many things, and he was the only person Kev had contact with for 6 days of the week. He could get over the smell, for a little bit.

Alas, everything comes to their end. The Judge reminded Kev that lights were to be out soon, and they separated. Almost starved for affection and physical contact, the alien was tempted not to let go. To just fall asleep on him and damn the consequences. The Judge was released, and Kev gave him a good night. He could save that for Sunday. Kev made his way up the stairs and crawled into bed, joined not long after by a furry body or two. The alien laid his head down upon the pillow and sighed deeply. Today had been trying...and tiring...but it had given him some food for thought, as well. Tomorrow would be another day.

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:48 pm