Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Nascence [Week 4 - 6]

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:42 am

Well somebody was impatient about being attacked. Yikes. "I'm attacking, sir, I'm attacking!" He held his hands up in a beseeching manner. Kev had reasons to be a little apprehensive about this! It smelled like a trap, and he was just going to walk right into the mousetrap that was Fear's mind. The Judge seemed to approve of Kev's tactics. Was it a below the belt shot? Oh definitely. Was it ruthless? Oh yes, but that was what he was supposed to do. He was supposed to be ruthless and go for the jugular. The Judge, however, had his own defenses. Every aspect, every horrible thing that Kev had attempted to remind him of and hurt him with, the Judge merely dissected.

Limbo; he had already escaped it. It no longer posed a threat. There was one layer. The wine bottle; also escaped. He was free. Another layer shimmered brightly. And his position below Judge Death; he accepted his role and how expendable he was, as he was no better than any other agent of the Law. Yet another layer shined, the alien growing tentative. Still, he listened to what Fear said, he had remained unaffected because he knew it was nothing. That sounded familiar; that was about the same thoughts he had when it came to the physical injuries of the mental exercises. The Judge admitted that these things did hurt, but he had removed any power they had over him by simply...accepting him. The way he said that made it sound so...easy. Fear's soul was what kept him focused, a soul kept up with through respect and conviction.

All at once, the situation turned. The trap had sprung. Kev felt himself being boxed in by something, feelings washing over him; the very same feelings he'd tried to inflict on the Judge. Trapped in Limbo, nothing to do and no way to pass the time. Trapped in a wine bottle, left behind by his own superior. The alien struggled for a moment, attempting to push back on the shield that seemed to be crushing him under its very weight. What should he use to fight back? What should he do to push him away?

"Are you going to cry?"

"..." Kev's eyes leveled back at Judge Fear, hurt and anger swirling in them. "No I'm not." A low blow, for a low blow. Kev's fists clenched and he focused on that same bubble he had conjured up before, attempting to create it now, in reality. "These feelings are not mine. This hurt, is not mine. I was never in a bottle, I was never in Limbo. And I don't care much for Judge Death, so if he left me behind, I would feel fine! These are not my feelings. But they are my own doing. I accept that these feelings hold no sway over me, but that their existence is due to my own efforts and powers. I accept responsibility."

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:19 am

"I accept responsibility."

"Oh?" The suppression lifted slightly, though it was not enough for Kev to fully shrug off Judge Fear's counterattack. Not a lot could, admittedly. "Ssso you are aware that thessse feelingsss hold no merit in actuality," the ghoul hissed. A start, a start. But the Dark Judge only pressed his advantage harder, the alien's original assault magnified by Judge Fear's otherworldly powers. "It isss one thing to sssay that you accept resssponsssibility, cadet, but it isss another thing entirely to mean your wordsss. Again! Your mind isss not yet purified." Anger? Resentment? Think not of these things. "A ssshield isss more than jussst a psssionic conssstruct manipulated according to your whimsss. It isss an extensssion of your ability; yourssself. How can you possssibly deflect the mossst meager of blowsss if you cannot draw ssstrength from within?"

How can you, Kev? "Ressspect and conviction. Do you ressspect yourssself? Do you place faith in your ssself-confidence and ability?" As with before, it was time to be truthful. You had already been caught in one lie. Best not to test your luck a second time.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:53 pm

The alien took in a deep breath as the assault seemed to back off. The pressure was still there but it had lessened somewhat. "I am, yes." How could they? They weren't feelings related to any event he had ever experienced or been a part of. Kev may have stirred them up and conjured them up to use against Fear, but the feelings held no merit on their own. Judge Fear insisted, however, that Kev may not have mean it. Kev planted his heels into the ground as if to steady himself, as the attack was back with a vengeance. "I'm...attempting to mean it! These feelings are nothing to me, they aren't my experiences." Purified? Kev brought a hand to his head, and thought for a moment. Maybe it was his emotions...emotions seemed to be just a big obstacle in this. But if emotions were an obstacle, why was apathy so terrible? What he said next was rather...interesting however. Kev had assumed that the shield was merely something to conjure up and build up. Almost like a house of some kind...the way Fear spoke of it though, he described it as being like an extension of himself. Something as vital as his own skin his own limbs. The shield carried no inherent strength, the strength was from within. He would have to keep looking within himself to conjure up this strength, to use it to fuel the shield. But how...? The alien could not rightly answer, it was hard to consider these words while trying to hold off the psychic attack.

"Do you ressspect yourssself? Do you place faith in your ssself-confidence and ability?"

He was beginning to feel trapped, both by Judge Fear's words and by the assault. Trapped in a bottle, trapped in Limbo with no escape in sight...the alien took several deep breathes to calm himself, he'd never been to Limbo. Never been locked into a bottle. Never left behind by a Superior like Judge Death. Kev still had people who would help him if he were ever locked into a bottle or anything of the kind, one such person was right in front of him. "I...I...do, sometimes...sometimes I respect myself. S-sometimes I can place faith in my abilities! Sometimes I can find some sort of...confidence. Other times I can't...I just can't." But this time he surely could. Don't give in, this was not any of the things he had faced these past three weeks. This was nothing. Kev imagined everything rolling off of his back as though it were nothing but wind. There was no merit to these emotions.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:40 pm

"Sssometimesss." Judge Fear repeated the word in a plain, disappointed tone. "Sssometimesss isss not good enough, cadet. It mussst be all or nothing, do you underssstand? You cannot sssometimesss ressspect yourssself and hold confidence in your abilitiesss if you are to engage in a psssychic attack." That would make for an imperfect foundation, no? But still the alien was trying, the Dark Judge will give him that. However, it still wasn't enough. How can it be when Kev continued to nourish the parasite so commonly known as doubt? A larger portion, though not by much, of the ghoul's attack had indeed flowed over and around Kev's shield; the weakest extensions of Judge Fear's honed psychic ability. It was a relatively simply thing. So simple that even Psi-Judge Anderson would not have batted a single eye. Kev, alas...

The alien still held onto his doubts, his regrets, his fears... He still clung to the false convenience known as emotion. Hope, anger, sorrow, indifference; they should not be the base of one's mental epicenter, though they could serve as amplifiers when used correctly.  

"And why can't you?" asked the fiend. What was holding you back, Kev? What was keeping you from unlocking your potential? The Dark Judge did not relent and he did not press.

They were now at a psychic gridlock, though only one of them had the endurance and know-how to wait it out...
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:39 am

Sometimes...wasn't good enough. The alien sighed, eyes falling to the grassy meadow beneath their feet. No one could have confidence in themselves all the time, right? Everyone had their moments where they doubted themselves, even Judge Fear had moments where he faltered. It had to be sometimes because no one had full confidence in themselves. Still, the Judge insisted that it had to be complete confidence and respect. Especially for a psychic attack, it had to be all or nothing. How? Even if he tried to muster up confidence and respect in himself to the maximum, he knew it'd be a lie. He just failed his mental exercises, deemed unable to continue. The only upside was that he had not needed psychic surgery this time. Though he did feel a bit better once some of the pressure ebbed away, driven off by his own bubble. Though Judge Fear was still there, still standing. The psychic force, still coming his way. Judge Fear had a lot more stamina on his side, the alien not sure what he could do other than to keep his shield up and try to weather this storm as best as he could. As long as he could.

"And why can't you?"

"Because, for every time I seem to actually get something done, achieve something, I also fail something else! Just look at these past three weeks! For as much as I've improved in the physical exercises, I've failed the mental! I can barely get past the second stage of it! I only respect myself sometimes because sometimes, I am someone who deserves it. Sometimes, I can be strong, capable, get things done, fight off my enemies. Sometimes I can be all of these great things, but other times...I can be so weak, stupid, emotional, and spineless! I'm a failure!"

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 am

"I can barely get past the second stage of it!"

Kev's shield flickered, growing weaker...

"I can be so weak, stupid, emotional, and spineless!"

And weaker...

"I'm a failure!"

And -

CRRRRAAAACK!

And just like that, it was over. Kev didn't stand a chance.

Everything the alien hated about himself, from his cowardice to his inability of protecting both himself and his loved ones, he experienced right there and then. Darkness overcame him, his vision failing. Ice ensnared his bones, blood freezing in his veins. And death... Death consumed his mind. Yes, Kev, YES! You are so pathetic that you wish to die! How dare you waste others' times. How dare you bother to breathe. You were nothing more than a burden, a parasite just like Megamind! You were a FAILURE.

Thunder clapped and the heavens quaked, wings beating within the murky haze. Two burning eyes pierced through the veil and an evil intent swirled within them like pyres of a cursed soul. "He he he..." Do you remember him, Kev? Teeth glimmered as a wicked grin spread, cruel talons stepping forward. "What have we here?" purred an inhuman voice, sadism palpable. A spiked tail coiled around the alien and blocked all forms of escape. "Is that you, fool? The alien that dared to challenge my might?" It couldn't be... It shouldn't be... But it was, and out from the darkness loomed the very bane of Kev's troubled existence.

Ridley.

A horrid shriek split the air, the Pirate Lord clearly enjoying this delightful situation. "But of course it is!" he sneered, glaring down at the alien as if he were nothing more than filth. "You don't learn, do you? No, of course not... What should anyone expect differently from a fool?" Another shriek, another ominous flexing of his flesh-ripping claws.

"Idiot! You cannot even hope to defeat the likes of me! Why, when you are nothing more than an evolutionary mistake!? You can't do anything right. You can't protect yourself, you can't protect others, and you can't stop your supposed friends from abandoning you! Even your little Keptoya could hardly stand the mere sight of you. You want to know why? BECAUSE YOU ARE A FAILURE." This is what you believed! This is what you felt! This was you. Was the space-dragon wrong, Kev-Mak-Tarr? That condescending sneer transitioned into a disgustingly-smug smile, Ridley's wings flaring. So much power... You could never hope to taste it! "I'm going to do you a favour," he chuckled, tone sickeningly-sweet. Suddenly the Pirate Lord's tail developed a mind of its own, plated hide harshly grating against the earth. It coiled around the alien and squeezed, Ridley enjoying every second of agony that he so effortlessly inflicted upon his prey. "You're trash and hardly worth the time and energy to properly dispose of... You're not even worth the resources for bio-testing, ha ha! So let's say both you and I settle this, hmm? You and me, fool, you and me!"

Wind howled past the alien's head, a nauseating lurching sensation lumping his heart down to his feet. Higher, higher! You were soaring higher, trapped in the space-dragon's prehensile tail! You were dragged past the clouds, your body harshly yanked wherever the Pirate Lord desired. So high were you, poor alien, that your cottage was nothing more than a peaceful speck on the land... Ridley screeched and the world trembled, his cruelty knowing no bounds. "It is time to die!" he cackled, savouring this moment. "It is time that Portal Breach bids adieu to Kev-Mak-Tarr! Die, fool, DIE."

And then... you fell.

Your body plummeted through the sky, hands gripping nothing and no one there to help you. Your body drew closer and closer to the earth that you so cherished, helplessness overpowering your thoughts. This was it. You were going to die... You were going to be nothing more than a smear upon the ground, unsung and eventually forgotten...

Such was the fate of a failure.

...Is that truly what you wanted?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:47 pm

By the time Kev realized how weak his shield was becoming, it was too late. The bubble broke, ripping just as it had before. The Dark Judge's psychic energy seeped in quickly, overpowering his broken shield and descending upon him. He had not meant for this to happen, he was just answering Fear's question! However, in answering why he could only sometimes respect himself, he had unfortunately let his doubts and fears get the best of him, resulting in the shield failure. Kev tried to look around for Fear, only seeing darkness and only feeling ice, even though he was dressed to accommodate for the weather. The alien almost stumbled, trying to find some way to anchor himself to something, unsure where he was. His head seemed to pulse as dark thoughts swirled, he was too pathetic to live. Yet again, he had failed, and he was destined to always fail because that was what he was. A failure. Portal X had made a mistake when he'd chosen Kev of all people to bring to the Breach. He burdened and hurt his friends, if he was no use to the people he loved then why was he even here? Why was he still alive? He was no better than Megamind, and so he should go the route of Megamind! Disappear forever, or die...

The area around him became suddenly active, as though there was a storm, and the alien grabbed his head desperately. "Fight it, fight it..." This was a test! He had to fight this! But...but how? He racked his brain for a way to accept all of this but he might as well have been searching for the meaning of life. "Come on! I-I accept...that this is just my insecurity! This isn't...true!" It couldn't be, because if he was a burden, people would have wised up by now. Two eyes appeared in the dark, and Kev found himself frozen as he faced the monster that crawled out of the shadows. This wasn't Judge Fear, no...it was Ridley. The alien began to back up, only to find a large and spiky tail wrapping around to block his path of escape. Kev turned his head sharply away, eyes shut tightly.

"I-I was not ready when I fought you before...I fought you for all the wrong reasons. But I'm trying to learn right now! When I'm ready, I'll face you and...and you won't get to hurt anyone ever again!" This was just another vision, another mental enemy. He had to accept this and...and then he'd pass the test! Yet every shriek elicited a shiver from the alien, who still refused to look at the dragon in the hopes of attempting to banish him from his mind.

"You can't do anything right. You can't protect yourself, you can't protect others, and you can't stop your supposed friends from abandoning you! Even your little Keptoya could hardly stand the mere sight of you. You want to know why? BECAUSE YOU ARE A FAILURE."

"You...you are just a manifestation of my insecurities, doubts, fears, a-and worries!" He rubbed at his temples with the base of his palms. "I...I...!" He tried to conjure up the words, the same sort of thing Fear said when faced with his own demons. Words of acceptance, of knowledge. Ridley was just repeating how Kev felt, after all. Shouldn't it be easy to ignore it when he knew that it wasn't true? Except...it was true, wasn't it? He couldn't even think up ways to discredit him! He couldn't protect himself, he couldn't protect others, and he couldn't stop his friends from abandoning him...Nym had died this past summer, because he couldn't protect him. Rhys died, Kev couldn't protect him either. And Leslie... "S-stop...stop! I'm...I'm..." If he failed, he'd make Ridley correct! It'd be a self-fulfilling prophecy! "Y-you're just trying to make me feel helpless so I'll be easier to kill! I'm not...always a failure!" Kev was starting to get on the right track, but the words felt...wrong. He didn't mean it. The dragon suddenly started to speak kindly, offering to perform a favor and suddenly something wrapped around Kev's body tightly. The alien's eyes snapped open and stared down at harsh hide of the dragon's tail. "AAAGH!" The tail was squeezing tightly, Kev thrashing in an attempt to get away. It felt so real...

Ridley wanted to settle this? Once and for all? "Nnn-! No, I'm not ready!" He'd fail, just like last time! The dragon flew up into the air sharply, clouds soaring by their heads as he carried the alien up, tail refusing to relent at all. Kev's legs kicked out, doing no damage to the dragon, and the higher they went, the more he began to panic. Hyperventilating and thrashing wildly, his gaze finally returned to the dragon who decided that now was when he was going to die. At a height like this...his death was pretty obvious. The question was, if he died here, would he really die? ...And would that be so bad? The alien's eyes flattened into a dull look, panic still present in him and yet...maybe it would be better to just die now. The tail released him and the alien began to plummet through the air, gravity pulling harshly at him. His hands felt out for something, and found nothing. He brought his arms in towards his chest as he fell, the ground coming closer and closer. Judge Fear warned him that he could die in this training...perhaps this is what he meant. A few tears welled up in his eyes, but in the end, his body remained limp as he fell to the ground.

This was not what he wanted, what he wanted was to finish his training and make Judge Fear proud. To find that potential the Judge could see, and act on it. Improve. Be a better, stronger person! But these past few weeks made it clear, that there was no potential in him. That he was nothing more than a failure. He wanted to be great, but he knew now that he was simply not able to be great. This was merely reality, and he would accept the reality of his situation. Everything went black, shortly before he could properly impact into the ground.
    ---
    Kev's eyelids felt extremely heavy, taking a few times to open all the way to reveal where he was. Most definitely not the Pool of Souls...no, this was the inside of the cottage, particularly the living room. He was lying on the couch, a looming Dark Judge above his head...a pair of cold hands on the sides of his head. Psychic surgery. He'd failed. He failed, and he hadn't even died. Everything was so heavy, and his head felt numb and strange. His head tilted back slightly to better see the Judge's helm. "...Kikiri...I am...so sorry..." The physical exercises were one thing, but these mental exercises were another thing entirely. Judge Fear had to give him these exercises to do, and the penalty for failure here was a lot more taxing for the both of them then it was when he failed the physical exercises. Psychic surgery wasn't easy to do, he knew this by now...yet Fear continually had to do it. Again and again. Because he wasn't strong enough.

Last edited by Kev on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:26 pm

It happened as it always had. Today was no different.

Kev tried and Kev failed. Though the alien had managed to show progress and was gradually inching through each day's strict regimen, he still had much to learn; much to suffer. In due time, in due time... Rome was not built in a day and neither was a hardened soul. This project demanded commitment. This project demanded sacrifice.  

Psychic surgery was one such reparation. The process of mending Kev's mind had never been an easy undertaking. Even for a sinner, the alien had weathered more than the average citizen on Deadworld ever encountered. Mega City-One's populace was debatable, given the hectic and bizarre nature of their iniquitous city. Did this mean that Kev was deserving of sympathy? That his time on Portal Breach should be weighed in favour of leniency? No, it did not. An honest Judge of the law should not bend justice's will for the sole reason of compassion. Kev had tried and Kev had failed; punishment must be established. And the penalty for today's failure had been the summation of all the ugliness within Kev's soul... There was no guarantee that tomorrow's lesson would be any better.

"...Kikiri...I am...so sorry..."

Ah, the prodigal son awakens.

Judge Fear was indeed drained, but he nevertheless found the energy to speak. "You need not apologize," he hissed. The gravity of his voice echoed throughout the cottage, glass and fine china rattling. Kev could take solace in the fact that his otherworldly mentor did not sound disappointed, only... tired. "The processss of honing your abilitiesss cannot be expected to reach fruition in only three weeksss' time. That would be folly and groundsss for unrealissstic expectationsss, mm..." One could not reasonably make the assumption that an average sinner so late in their life, such as Kev, would readily embrace the righteous philosophy of a Judge. It was impossible.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:30 pm

The glass in the window panes shook and rattled with the thrum of Fear's voice, and thankfully the Judge did not sound disappointed, nor angry. Just...tired. He sounded as tired as Kev felt, and he knew that wasn't exactly a coincidence. The psychic bleed was likely not as bad as it once was, but there had to be some effect from diving into Kev's mind day after day to repair damage...he almost wondered what would happen if the Judge elected not to do the surgery. Nothing good, no...

Suddenly, the alien realized what he'd called the Judge. "Nn, sir. I meant, sir..." The nickname had slipped out far too easily...again, the Judge didn't seem too upset, not even about the word slip. He merely insisted that Kev didn't need to apologize and pointed out that Kev's skills could not be honed in so short a time. So short, yet it felt so long...the alien relaxed and allowed the Judge to do his work in silence, but after several quiet minutes had ticked by, Kev couldn't help speaking up. "What...do you do to respect yourself?" Obviously, the Judge could be confident in his abilities. He was strong, smart, educated, well-taught in his ways. He might be one of the strongest psychic Kev had ever experienced, both in terms of skill and self-discipline. Having respect for one's skills, especially skills like that, must be easy. But how does one respect one's self? Especially in the light of failure? Something that Judge Fear had had to contend with quite a few times as well...how did he do it?

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:03 am

He knew what you meant, cadet. And though the fatigued Dark Judge ought to have penalized you for yet again making the same mistake twice... There was a matter of the nukes that the undead fiend required from you. Be fortunate that his name was not shared with another hardened Judge.

It was quiet now. The silence was preferred while Judge Fear operated. Distractions were not productive when repairing the tattered fringes of a mind, nor were they appreciated during altercations with stubborn neurons. With any hope, the alien would be content to close his eyes and rest. Ah, if only the Dark Judge could be so lucky... A weary telepathic question broke the tranquility and Judge Fear forced himself to pause mid-task. Respect, was it? Right, right... "Do? I do not do anything," he answered. Well, it was true. What did the alien think he did, a rallying pep talk before every purge? Rubbish, that. Though perhaps there was something... It wasn't much, but it might have been what Kev was fishing for. He really ought to invest in better bait.

Yellowed fingernails lightly tapped against emerald scales, the inner machinations of the ghoul's mind an enigma...

"Mm..." A pensive thrum vibrated the air as Judge Fear redirected his gaze to focus straight ahead. If Kev were so inclined to look, he may damn well spy the murdering Judge's brittle chin and leathery neck. A rare sight that was usually paired with death; lucky you. "Though, I sssuppossse, I do hold confidence in both myssself and my abilitiesss. I know my purpossse and I know what isss asssked of me. My judgement isss sssound, my dedication unwavering. There are many ssstepsss where I have faltered on the path of righteoussssnessss, but never once have I abandoned jussstice'sss will. The crime isss life, the sssentence isss death. Thisss we ssso decree, from now unto eternity."

Fitting, no? What good was a Judge who did not respect both the law and the badge? A gun at times, too. "I've made my missstakesss," Judge Fear unabashedly confessed. "I've made them and I am not proud, but they do not define me. Submissssion to failure isss not an option I recognize. Ergo, cadet, I ssshall alwaysss persssevere."

Was this answer sufficient for you, Kev?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Judge Fear didn't...do...anything? Kev blinked up at him, eyes squinting. "Oh...I see..." He kind of did expect that the Judge had some sort of...pep talk routine for himself. If he didn't necessarily need to do anything to gain respect for himself, perhaps the Judge just naturally trusted and believed in himself. Confidence...mm, possibly gained from all those years training to be a Judge, and all the years he had been a Dark Judge. Experience definitely made for confidence, as there was a time that the alien felt very tentative about how to do his job at the City Noise, and now he was completely confident in his ability to run the place with Skyler. Perhaps experience was the key...

Nails tapping along the side of his head snapped him out of his thoughts though, and he glanced back up at the Dark Judge, who seemed deep in thought. Kev's eyes couldn't help but trace the chin and neck that he could now see, large collar no longer in the way. His skin was still green and...corpsey, and the chin actually looked rather small. Perhaps that was just because of the host. His eyes roamed the Judge's helm and neck as the Dark Judge spoke, listening. "Purpose...must be nice to know your purpose...but also very...troubling." The alien shuffled slightly on the couch, moving his arms to fold them across his own chest. "That's why people can't just 'talk' you out of being a Dark Judge and doing your...Dark Judge ways...it's your purpose." And if you take away a man's purpose, or cast doubt upon it...what else do they have?

No matter how strong or confident Judge Fear may be, he was still fallible, and he admitted such. He had made mistakes, but somehow, he found a way to make sure they did not define him. Submission to failure...he had submitted to failure against that Ridley thing, hadn't he? He sighed and closed his eyes, but otherwise seem rather relaxed. These words would be worth considering during his spiritual exercise. "Thank you, sir..." This couch felt rather nice now that he was resting on it, so tempting to just sleep the rest of the day away...all of the crying he had done made his eyes feel scratchy and annoying. Alas, he still had things to do. As tempting as it was to let everything go black and fade into restfulness, he kept himself awake. At least until Fear was done with his psychic surgery.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:54 pm

"Purpose...must be nice to know your purpose...but also very...troubling. That's why people can't just 'talk' you out of being a Dark Judge and doing your...Dark Judge ways...it's your purpose."

At this, the Dark Judge glanced down. "Troubling...? Oh yesss, yesss. Troubling, mm..."

He... supposed that was accurate, yes. The annihilation of all living things everywhere didn't exactly leave much room for other non-judicial interests. No hobbies, no side-jobs, no... well, anything! One could reason that it made for an empty existence, but Judges were to be held to higher standards. Stricter standards, and that had became the norm. Why question a practice that wasn't broken? Judge Fear eventually decided that his purpose in unlife was troubling for others; the sinful masses that never seemed to comprehend the good work both he and his brothers were doing. Such was the ignorance of the living. They will be freed from their vices in time, rest assured. "They alssso cannot sssway me otherwissse, becaussse our philosssophy hasss been upheld by countlessss yearsss of factual evidence and assstute empirical obssservationsss," the ghoul reminded. Deadworld had boasted a 0% recidivism rate and crime had been abolished. Show him a world that had achieved the same bragging rights without purging its populace!

"You are welcome, cadet." And then the icy hands were removed. Kev no longer would feel depersonalized or haunted by the traitorous figments of his own mind. There was, however, a dull headache. It would continue to throb behind his eyes, gradually fading into obscurity within the next fifteen minutes.

Which, coincidentally, was how much the alien had left before his spiritual exercises began.

There was the ancient creaking of bone as Judge Fear stiffly rose to his full, towering height. "You have until the bottom of the hour to collect your witsss about you," he rasped. "After that, cadet, I fully expect you to meet up at the creek. Do not be tardy, mm..." Like clockwork. Kev once again had the living room to himself, the air warming up and things no longer appearing so glum. Same old, same old.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Dark Judges were stubborn. It was something Kev had known for a while but it was something that others seemed to miss out on. Perhaps they thought themselves more stubborn. The Judges had no need for mortal needs or wants, they could remain stubborn in an argument and not need to sleep, or eat. Anyone who wanted to gridlock themselves should be ready to abandon everything else in order to match the Judges' fairly in stubbornness. Frankly, he didn't understand how anyone could have the will or ability to just fight Fear and Mortis constantly. What they did was obviously...not right, and yet they had their points. They weren't going to stop. So why argue over it?

Even now, Judge Fear asserted that no one could convince him nor his brother otherwise. From their own experiences, killing everyone had solved problems. Criminals die, no more crime. People die, no more overpopulation. Children die, no future criminals. If the whole planet was destroyed...no more crime ever. It wasn't an easy viewpoint to counter. "Right..." They could not sway him. No one could sway him. Fear's hands left the side of his head, and Kev rubbed at his own temples for a moment. His skull was throbbing...his eyes were throbbing. Nnn...he almost wanted to grab some ice or something...maybe some tea. The alien settled for rubbing around his forehead and eye sockets.

Bottom of the hour...? The alien sat himself up to blink at the Judge, squinting around in search of a clock. Right...fifteen minutes til the next hour began. "Yes sir. I won't be tardy." He leaned himself back down to settle on the couch again, headache steadily ebbing away. At least the worst for today was over...everything else left to deal with today, could be dealt with easily. So long as he kept a clear and thoughtful head. Kev only remained on the couch for a few more minutes before he stood up heavily and lumbered towards the door. His body protested, likely wishing instead to sleep and slumber. That would need to wait. Perhaps time outside would help...the alien stretched before he opened the door and left the cottage walking his way to the creek and meeting with his instructor. It was time to start the spiritual exercises.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Stubborn is as stubborn does, and no one could be more stubborn than an immortal spirit. Unless, of course, you were an ancient entity with a billowing fiery mane and boasted a crown of menacing horns. There was fortunately only one of those lumbering around Portal Breach's wastes. In any event, it was time that the alien's break drew to a refreshing close...

Water trickled off in the distance, peaceful and soothing to the ears. Whereas before it had been quite dreary and overcast this morning, the sun's gentle rays had at last banished the vestiges of winter's dull clutches. A blue sky hung above their heads as puffy white clouds went about their lethargic business. Though the forest had lost much of its colour over the past months and the trees were bare, there was nothing to fear in the tranquil grove behind Kev's cottage. Well, almost nothing to fear...

Fear himself had already taken a seat, his spindly arms and legs crossed one over the other. A frail thing, wasn't he? Insects of all makes and sizes crawled over his leathery feet, clearly oblivious and happy as to what they found as a suitable provider of food. The Dark Judge paid their tiny minds little and let the miniscule creatures go about their feeding. If a hungry predator will not get them, the dead fluids surely will. "Have a ssseat," he ordered. There was a comfy spot on the grass not far away, where a large rock overlooked. Or, if he felt so inclined, the alien could sit wherever he liked so long as it was within five meters of the undead fiend. "It isss time to begin your ssspiritual exercisssesss, cadet. However, before we are to ssstart, let usss addressss a crucial lessssson you dissscovered earlier during your mental exercisssesss." Uh-oh.

"You think yourssself a failure, dessserving of no ssself-ressspect. Why?" Remember to answer truthfully, Kev.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Spiritual exercises really had become among his favorites to do, a highlight of his day, even. Not that they were particularly easy, but that was life. The things that mattered shouldn't be easy. Yet he still wished the physical and mental exercises could be easy, it was just because it seemed so hard, and he struggled with them. Spiritual, he really didn't struggle so much. The fact that they usually met here near the creek like this helped. It was calm, peaceful...downright beautiful, especially at this time of day. Spotting the Dark Judge's body was easy, and the alien came to sit where the Judge had directed, crossing his legs over the other and folding his hands neatly in his lap. The grass was nice, though the insects sure were busy today...

The alien suddenly noticed the little insect buffet line that was crawling all over his instructor, eyes widening as he watched the bugs skitter about and nibble at him. Kev almost expected the Judge to do something, but he paid it no mind. Either he didn't feel it and so didn't know...or he knew and didn't care. He probably couldn't feel it and didn't care. He respectfully moved his gaze to center on the helm and not the bugs. Guuuh...the Dark Judge was a lot more mellow about the process of being partially eaten then himself. His head tilted with interest as the Judge insisted they start with what Kev had learned prior. Primarily...

"You think yourssself a failure, dessserving of no ssself-ressspect. Why?"

"Because..." His eyes scanned the grass below, trying to gather his thoughts. To get what he wanted to across without getting so distraught, like he had last time. "I've...let my mistakes define me, even to myself. I thought that in order to make sure I'd never repeat mistakes, I had to sort of...beat myself up about it. Remember what had gone wrong and tell myself I'd never do it again. Sometimes I look back on things and...I just remember everything I did wrong, said wrong. I've...I've failed a lot. Even now, I just keep...failing. As for the self-respect..." He sighed, and brought a hand up to hold his head up. "I've...respected myself and my abilities in the past. It just doesn't last long because then something happens. After, I manage to do something right or get something done, and I can respect myself again for a while. My mistakes just...find a way to bring me back down."

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:42 am