Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Nascence [Week 4 - 6]

Post by Fear on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 pm

"Don't rely on apathy." How many times must it be said?

He could feel the alien's frustration, mm... The same as how he could feel the alien's diminishing spirit. In truth it was... tiring, to say the least. Most sinners the Dark Judge had the fortune of coming across were either purged with the utmost efficacy known to the law or... well, just rounded up and arranged into a neat and orderly line as they waited judgement. So many lawbreakers, so few capable hands... Ah, but the ghoul was yet again digressing. Kev's demeanour had taken a sharp nosedive, as predicted, but in doing so the alien was harming more than just himself. "I gave you a chance, yesss. An opportunity that you ssso desssperately needed," Judge Fear nodded. "But it isss more than that, cadet. It isss alwaysss more than that. Revenge cannot be the sssole reassson why you are undertaking thisss change. It, like hatred, drawsss itsss ssstrength through ssself-dessstruction. Heed my wordsss and heed them well: you cannot continue to exissst if your sssoul reliesss on thessse thingsss." It will always be unsatisfied... It will always be yearning. Who better an example than Judge Death himself?

"I will try harder next time, sir."

"If it is time for lunch, then I will consume it."

"Thank you, sir."

Yes, sir. I will not be late."

A quiet sigh escaped the fiend's throat. This was, admittedly, a far cry from Kev's previous attitude three weeks ago. Hope had been squashed, giving rise to anger. And anger, in turn, had been demolished to usher forth sorrow. None of this was foreign to the Dark Judge, though he had not relived this for quite some time. He knew these emotions and he knew them well. Would the alien be able to manage...? Perhaps, perhaps... All thought was put on hold as ghostly eyes observed a familiar duo exit the cottage. Metus, with his shiny black coat, sauntered away; whereas Kev halfheartedly shuffled through the grass.

Still so apprehensive... Judge Fear found his head faintly shaking.

"You are on time and now we begin your mental exercisssesss," he rasped. A whole three hours of deconstructing the self. "Remember to utilize the techniquesss you have learned during the previousss weeksss, cadet. I will be expecting them." And so, without further ado...

A sickly aura enveloped the surrounding meadow and a chill permeated the air, twisted energies withdrawn from the psi-flux. It is time, cadet... It is time to remember the age of Dark; of when that yellow-eyed fiend set his sights upon you and turned your body into dust. The Heartlands faded away into a cold, unwelcoming castle interior, where an arrogant Mr. Dark lashed out. Now, cadet, now! Now is the time to shield yourself against the wicked creature's attacks! Now, before you rotted away!

This is the time to shield yourself, Kev!
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:23 pm

In truth, the alien didn't want to have to rely on anything at all. Not hope, not anger, not revenge, not apathy. True strength came from within, he wanted to be able to stand and rely on himself. No more assistance from his friends, no more people fighting his battles. Yet over the past few weeks, as the alien tried to find some sort of inner strength within himself to find and use to hold himself up...he found nothing. Nothing but flaws. Fears, worries, doubts to spare...but no inner strength to be found, at least none that he could see. Kev had been told in the past, that he had heart. A lot of it, in fact, and it had been mentioned as a strength of some kind. He didn't understand how his heart could be a source of strength, when it was so torn and broken. Apathy seemed to be the only thing that could stay the pain, and so he clung to it. The Judge had told him before, that he would need to break him in order to remake him. If the ghoul was so against this apathy...perhaps he needed to just let his heart be broken, so it could be remade. Though, that was much easier said than done...

As for revenge, it had been the alien's fuel the first time he fought Ridley. When he fought the dragon, he did think of Mary, but otherwise he focused on his own hurt emotions and struck from there, somehow feeling that because he wanted to hurt him so much, because he was trying his hardest, he would succeed. As if justice could be created with no more than a feeling. That fight ended with his death. Even now, as he yearned to harm the dragon, some of it was born out of his own hurt emotions but there was also a feeling that he wanted to prevent history from repeating itself. Keep those he loved safe. To let no one else ever feel how he had felt during the time of Phazon. Perhaps that would be enough? Mmm...they would have to see.

Good, he was not late. The alien inclined his head in a nod, but his finger flexed in an anxious manner, staring back at his instructor. They were going to begin, and once they began it did not stop until time was up or he had passed out from it all. "Yes, sir." The techniques he had learned were guarded closely, as though they were a treasure, which they might as well be during these training sessions. A familiar chill surrounded the area, the cottage melting away to reveal the interior of a very certain castle. The moment he could see the green scenery fade into stone wall, the alien closed his eyes and took a deep breath in. Calm, he had to be calm...think peaceful thoughts. The green meadow, the beautiful jungles...nature at its best and purest form. The Kryptonistanian let out a deep breath and began to form his white shield, a bubble that pulsated every so slightly as he reinforced the interior. It could not last on its own, it had to be built up to withstand what was going to happen. The walls had to be solid, strong. Nothing must get through it. He focused, making it as strong as he could.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:28 pm

That's it, cadet, that's it... Breathe.

Though it was relatively primitive, Kev's shield had withstood against Mr. Dark's relentless assault. The grim memory gradually ebbed away and troubled the alien no longer. If Kev thought himself free from danger, however... One threat gave rise to another, an entire legion of faceless surgeons throwing themselves at the alien's shield. Their wicked instruments loudly rapped against it, sharpened ends poking and prodding for a way to reach the vulnerable mind within. Steady, cadet, steady... Gloved hands banged and thumped, each strike dealt to Kev's shield bringing him that much closer to their cruel operating table.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:42 pm

When Kev did eventually open his eyes, feeling safe as his skin was not rotting off all around him, he focused on the white of his bubble. No yellow eyes, no pale skin of Mr. Dark, just the white bubble. His eyes narrowed and he focused, imagining that the bubble was like the cottage, and he was boarding everything up to prepare for a new disaster. No pain troubled him, no smell of rot and no begging for death. The next threat to come was more persistent than Mr. Dark, many faceless surgeons throwing themselves against the bubble. They tried to pierce their way through, using their instruments in an attempt to pop the bubble and destroy it.

The threat of surgeons operating on him did bring up old fears from his planet, how the Elders would warn young spawn that aliens would experiment and hurt them if ever they got their hands on them. Pain was temporary, however. Not only was it temporary, but these surgeons were not even like Mr. Dark, they had been mere shades. Kev brought his arms up and lightly touched his fingertips to the inside of his shield. Board it up, build it up. Make it thicker, make it last. These surgeons were nothing more than a conjured fear, not even his own fear. They were nothing. As long as he could keep this shield up, everything would be fine. He needed only to keep calm. The alien showed no signs of panic, merely continuing to build up his shield.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Very good, cadet. Don't let it get to your head.

Ineffective, the surgeons evaporated one-by-one and troubled the alien no more. It was time for the third act. A flash of enchanted steel was Kev's only warning as something thundered into his shield. BAM, BAM, BAM! Three strikes to quake the heavens, three strikes to fell a king. A shade of monstrous proportions, brawny and thick, backed away from the soft white glow, its heated breath blowing coarsely against it. Do you remember this, Kev? Of course you did, of course you did. It bellowed once and raised Excalibur high, enlarged right hand pulled back.

WHAM!

Do not yield!

Again the monster struck, again it attempted to muscle its way toward the alien. Do you honestly hope to conquer your fears, boy? Do you honestly think yourself strong enough? You were weak, pathetic! A parasite just like the inventor. Lower your shield and accept that this was to be your fate!
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Eventually, the sound of surgeons pounding and throwing themselves at the shield lessened until there were none of them left, Kev letting out a deep breath of relief. This was by no means over, however, and that was for sure as a new figure appeared, one wielding a metal weapon. A sword. His body tensed at the noise of the being outside, a brawny, large man who was much like the surgeons. Not 'really' a person, merely a shade. Made of what, he was unsure, he just knew that it was an evil version of an old friend...and his attempt to use his power on this being once bit him right in the bruuka.

Kev's palms flattened against the shield as the figure pulled a hand back and thrust it forwards, striking the bubble with a mighty, stone fist. "Hnngh..." He had to be careful; shade or not, this one was strong. The alien attempted to force every inch of stubborn will, every thought of beating this thing and keeping this bubble up and sending it through his hands to reinforce the bubble. No matter how this being slashed, no matter how he struck it with a brawny fist, he could not let this bubble break this soon. The pain this thing had caused meant nothing in the end, it had been healed up by Vivi. Not even a scar remained to tell of the fight! Surely he could not let it break down his shield...not if he couldn't even leave a scar.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:33 pm

You were performing well, though you already knew why: physical pain was nothing. The three memories that plagued your mind were effectively rendered null and void, and a great freedom washed over you. This chapter of your mental exercises had reached its dulled conclusion. As for the next... It was only just beginning. History was doomed to repeat, just as it had been for the last three weeks.

K-Kev... You said things would be a-all right, Kev...

Do you remember him? Do you remember the little boy now standing before you, his eyes wide and timid? Of course you do... How could you forget this child? How could you forget about Rhys? Look at him, Kev. Look. At. Him. You told him that things were going to be okay. You told him that there was nothing to worry about. You told him not to fret over his impending death. You did that, Kev. You. You told the boy a lie and he took it to his grave.

I trusted you... I believed in you...

Where is he now, Kev!? Where is Rhys now!?

But it didn't stop there. Oh, it never stopped there. In the hazy gloom of regret appeared several murky silhouettes, eight in total and varying in their shapes and sizes. Do you recognize these figures, Kev? Perhaps you needed a brief refresher...

Do you hear them, Kev? Do you hear their words reverberating within that skull of yours, their daggers twisting into your back? Fitting, considering you had done the same to THEM!

Will your bubble hold...?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:08 pm

The shade outside of the bubble disappeared, taking the feeling of a dominating, terrible force with it. Yet, Kev knew that he was not safe just yet...the past three weeks had run on something of a script, the order may change within them, but he knew what was coming next, and his hands abruptly left the shield's surface to instead cover the sides of his head.

K-Kev... You said things would be a-all right, Kev...

The alien's hands tightened their grip on his head, attention split between the bubble and attempting to force the voice out. "It's not my fault...I couldn't have known...his parents are to blame, not me. I tried my best, my best...!" The blame did not lay with him! Rhys was not his spawn, nor his responsibility. What happened to the boy was horrible, but the boy's blame was wrongly placed. Alas, the boy was not alone. Kev could make out the figures gathering outside, many different silhouettes and shapes that were so very distinct.

Useless...couldn't care less about you...disgusting...

The voices found their way to him regardless and he let out a frustrated huff, moving his hands to again flatten against the surface of the bubble. "Your opinions don't matter anymore, you left." Why should he care if people who left him high and dry thought less of him, didn't care about him. "I already know you don't, this isn't news to me." If he truly cared...he wouldn't have left. The shield held against their voices, the alien unwilling to yield to them when they had left him so easily.

No bro of mine...you changed me...waste of a bond...

His hands wavered against the shield, arms trembling even as he attempted to keep a stony look in his eyes. These voices had likewise left him, their opinions should matter just as little as the previous voices. And yet...the voices still struck a chord. Kev's palms clenched into fists, the alien's head facing the floor of his shield as he attempted to fight them, keep their words at bay. The words mean nothing, they were nothing..! "Y-you were never my brother...I don't want to be your brother! Find a new one!" Harry was right there, go with him! He was always your favorite, after all. "I never meant to change you Kefka, I only meant to give you a chance for companionship...Karkat and Wheatley did a lot more to change you than I ever did, maybe even Aya too, and it's none of our faults! P-people don't change against their will...!" People had to have at least some want to change in such a way. A need for redemption, a need for pity, self-loathing...there was always something. Kefka had been given a golden opportunity to become something new, with a support network of multiple people. He could have been just like Zurg, and he squandered it. Left. "We made a bond in a bad situation, and I did the best I could do to help you and support you. If you consider me a waste, that is all on you." Even now, he did not see the young woman as a waste of a bond, though it did hurt to lost her. If he had any regrets, it was making the bond in the first place, and only because of the pain that came with losing her. Though Kev struggled, he seemed to take comfort in his words, the shield continued to stay in one piece and kept strong.

Why didn't you love me back...? I hate you... you stupid, stupid man...

"I..." Words seemed to fail him, the alien attempting to force away their voices along with the others. Sonia's voice, in despair and trapped in her own bubble of self-loathing and hate...because of him. Blade's voice, a young and slightly foolish man who had fallen in love with him, and tried to find love elsewhere...only for it to leave him. Until eventually he left as well. Sonia's voice hurt the most out of the two, however. Blade, he could stomach. The boy was impulsive, the boy had feelings for many people. The boy made a promise that he broke, the boy came back in a new form and left again, it irritated him and hurt him in some ways, but he could find ways to ignore it. To remember when he had given advice that was eventually ignored, that he helped Blade wherever he could. Sonia, however...

I hate you...you stupid, stupid man...

Out of all of the voices, she was still here. Still a friend, still someone he cared for. Her opinion mattered, it mattered a lot. She hated him...! Because he couldn't love her...the alien whimpered, hands removed from the shield and brought up to cover his face. "I'm sorry...Sonny, I can't...I can't...!"

RRRRRIP

The shield grew a jagged crack...

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Alas...

Kev's shield had unfortunately ran its course. It was true that it had held remarkably well against a body's physical torture, but anyone with a determined mindset could achieve such a thing. After all, what was imaginary pain to that of the mind? The crack was about to become wider...

BAM, BAM!

In one second there was the asphyxiating darkness of the regretful mind, and in the next... chaos. Explosions rocked the world, the luscious grass of Kev's backyard having been replaced by cold hard asphalt. Towering skyscrapers gleamed overhead, but so too did billowing plumes of black, angry smoke. He was in the city... In a city besieged.

Do you remember this, Kev? Do you remember, as Phazon consumed the world? Should the alien glance down upon his own hands and think to embrace himself, realize, Kev, that you had become the very thing you feared... a monster. Surely you have not forgotten what it was like to be powerful? As the blue creep slowly devoured the city streets, people screaming and running for their lives, not everyone would be so unfortunate of a slow, agonizing death. Before the alien were three figures running towards him; emerald scales, khaki strips, wide frightened eyes... They shouted to him, their little legs carrying them as fast as they could, but -

BOOM!

...to no avail. Dark-green blood splattered upon Kev, his children torn asunder before his very eyes. They were not the only ones to suffer, however. In the din of mournful sobs and panicked shrieks, Portal City on the verge of collapse, a tiny figure struggled against the Phazon. "Baaaa...!" A fleece as soft as goose's down and as colourful as the juiciest berries clashed against radiating azures, little black legs trembling. "Baaa...!" the poor animal cried again, body overwrought with unimaginable agony. For several moments did it pathetically rise and stumble again, each attempt more draining than the last. Phazon ate away at the sheep's coat, the corrosive substance eating its way down to the flesh, and soon the air began to smell of roasting meat. It fell onto its side one last time and did not rise, eyes pleadingly directed at Kev. "B-Baaa..." Help me... Help me, please... Heavy, laboured breathing transitioned into wheezy rasps, skin and muscle seemingly melting in layers... H-Help... m... m-me... A single gasp escaped the sheep's slackening mouth and thus perished Mary. She sunk into the Phazon, gone.

Why didn't you help her?

In the corner of Kev's vision walked a pale woman, her hair a striking lavender and in her golden eyes... sorrow. She stepped into the Phazon, willingly, and knelt before the very spot Mary had once been. Pale hands reached into the insatiable mutagen and retrieved a barely recognizable amalgamation of horror: the bony fragments of Mary. Wounded, the woman looked up at Kev and matched his gaze. What have you done...? A ghrá, what have you done?

Nothing, is the answer. You did nothing, and the woman was left to mourn the loss of a beloved pet. You let her die, Kev. You let Mary die, and for that...

Slowly the woman rose, Phazon eating away at her legs and forearms. Porcelain flesh gave way to muscle, and muscle gave way to ivory bone. She cared not, however, and never once let her calm demeanour fall. I go now, she whispered quietly. I go, away from this madness. And go she did. The woman turned to face the Phazon and headed forward, marching toward her inevitable demise. You would not be joining her, Kev. How could you, when you were tethered to the earth by thick, steely chains? Gaze upon your wrist and ankles... see how they were bound, keeping you from joining your dear Keptoya. You were trapped.

As your eyes frantically looked to see where the chains led, to perhaps free yourself of these cruel shackles, a twinkling glimmer shone above the city. It was falling rapidly to the world below and displayed no signs of slowing. You knew what this was, didn't you?

Leslie didn't.

...Bang!

There wasn't enough time to cry out, to react, to do anything. A brilliant flash consumed the sky and for everyone within the city limits, excluding yourself, it was the last thing they would see before a roiling inferno evaporated them into atomic nothingness. An angry mushroom cloud rose upward and the city was reduced to a molten wasteland, where nothing survived. None of the citizens, none of the invading Space Pirates, and no Phazon... Just you, Kev. You in a barren field of radiation and death. You and...

Chains rattled and chains jingled, now you were able to see where your fetters led... Standing three meters before you as undaunted and determined as ever loomed the Dark Judge, his arms outstretched and inviting. Around his bony wrists were chains, your chains, and the symbolism became clear.

This is our fate.

Remember that, cadet.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 pm

The shades disappeared, the voices now gone, and replaced. Outside of Kev's shield, pandemonium happened. Kev's gaze snapped to the crack, wide and jagged and revealing everything that was happening right outside of it. "Tulsit!" He'd let her affected him! Kev reached out, planting his hands onto the crack and attempting to force it back, mend it together. Unfortunately, his fingertips were tipped with sharp talons, arms swollen with the power of Phazon. The alien stared down at his hands, eyes wide and unnerved. "No..." If only he could have pushed aside Sonia's voice, ignored it! Not let it affect him! Because once this bubble cracks, there was no getting it back.

He pushed himself to the back of the shield, the crack making for a handy window to the outside world. "Come on, come on..." There had to be something...anything! His taloned hands reached out, lightly brushing the edge of the shield and shaking all the while as he tried his best to ignore it all. The screams, the explosions, the glowing blue...his children ran up to him, and once they exploded, some of the green blood splattered inside of the shield, crack widening as it did. Mary was next, the little sheep baaing in pain and agony as the Phazon ate away at her like a hungry beast, the alien bringing his arms up to keep the sound of her death away. Mary perished...and just as it always was, not long after Mary died came Leslie. The alien stared back at her, arms still tightly wrapped around his own head. Disappointed...angry...hurt...Keptoya...all the while, the cracks grew around the bubble, spreading out like spider webs. "Please, please, please, please...!" Just this once, just this once, stay up until it all ended! Leslie stood, partially eaten away by the acidic poison, and resigned herself to her fate, turning to walk right into the Phazon. "Nnn-!"

All at once, the shield finally shattered into pieces, mere fragments. No more protection from this horrible Apocalypse. Nothing to blot out the terror going on around him. Shackles appeared around his wrists and ankles, the alien needing only one look down at the chains before he covered his face and sobbed, curling up tightly into a ball. He knew what was going to happen next, he didn't need to see it all happen all over again. Even with his face covered, he could see the brilliant flash and feel the heat of the raging inferno that would destroy the entire city. Knowing how this would go, how it all looked, Kev waited until his surroundings would be a mere wasteland before he uncovered his face, looking around with a few stray tears rolling down his cheeks. Standing before him, where the chains on Kev's body lead, was the Dark Judge himself. Shackles upon him as well. The Dark Judge opened his arms, as if asking Kev to embrace him. The alien stared back at him, still sitting upon the barren waste. He turned his head sharply away, letting out a brief sob and bringing his knees close to his chest. Why couldn't the shield have just held...?

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:49 pm

And just like that, the alien's little shield could do nothing more than break. Why, Kev? Why do you think it had shattered? As tears freely streamed down the sides of his face and his tiny heart cried out in misery, the post-apocalypse wasteland once again ebbed away to reveal a beautiful, pristine meadow: reality. Sunlight gently warmed the alien's weary bones and offered its best comfort. Alas, he would not be able to withstand yet another psychic attack. Not for the time being.

Judge Fear was as merciful as he was cruel. The fiend allotted Kev a generous five minutes to himself and his sobs before addressing him. "You did well handling your physssical woesss, but, asss with coping mechanisssmsss, one ssshielding technique will not ward off all attacksss," hissed the Dark Judge. "You will need to hone your ssshield. You will need to fortify it with sssomething ssstronger. Tell me, cadet... How are you choossssing to fuel it?" If you said apathy, well... Therein lied your issue, didn't it? And if you said hope or anger, there was still much for you to learn. Though he didn't have Kev's answer yet, the fact that the alien's shield had been penetrated would suffice enough. "An imperfect defenssse will ssserve you poorly," he rasped. "Asss you have ssseen today and for the lassst three weeksss prior, you need to concentrate not jussst on one layer but on ssseveral. Thisss will come with practice, cadet. For now, however, I deem you unfit to progressss." It was imperative that Kev developed a sustainable source of conscious power.

Answer the question, cadet, and answer it truthfully.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Kev could feel the vision ebbing away, the barren nightmare melting into a warmer, kinder reality. The shackles had disappeared, as had any trace of Phazon in his system, and he could feel the grass beneath himself. The sun beat down on him, and Kev did take some comfort in it as he sobbed to himself until the tears stopped flowing, rubbing at his face with the brunt of his palm. So much blood...so much death. So much ruin. He sniffled before glancing up, as Fear spoke. The alien picked himself up off of the grass and stood to attention. Physical woes were almost a thing of the past now, but the shield technique he knew was best for that, it seems. For other woes...it seemed he was ill equipped. Stronger...he needed something stronger...but what?

"Tell me, cadet... How are you choossssing to fuel it?"

Kev looked him in the eye, head tilting to the side as he pondered. "I...I'm not sure. I just try to keep myself calm. Not let any of it scare me or make me feel bad. With the physical woes, it's easy. But the further we go, it gets...harder to try and keep myself calm and focused. It starts...affecting me, digging into me and it hurts and...it's harder to keep the shield whole." Mmm...his defense was too imperfect. But what else could he use? What could he do to keep himself calm? Several layers was the key, like the several layers he wore for the winter time. One layer of an extra woolly sweater may work initially, but eventually it would wear out. Either it would get too hot or it wouldn't be enough for the more freezing temperatures. His present shield was like that woolly sweater, when it needed to be an organized layer of shirt, sweater, jacket, and parka. Then...then it would be perfect.

Once the Judge deemed him unable to continue, he felt...conflicted. On one hand, he wouldn't have to go through it all again today, but on the other...this was his fourth week doing this same exercise, he should be better at this by now! The alien hung his head. "I will work harder on my technique for the shield, sir."

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 pm

"It isss not an isssue of whether or not you need to work harder," was the fiend's response.

Erroneously, the alien thought that keeping calm was to be his holy grail. It was helpful in and of itself, but it was folly to place so much importance on a state of mind. Why, when Kev had so much at his disposal? "Perhapsss another demonssstration isss in order. Cadet, prepare yourssself. It isss time that our rolesss become reversssed." That was the only warning Kev was given before a heavy presence smothered the area, the temperature drastically plummeting and the world slowly losing its vibrant colours. Tensing, the Dark Judge spread out his legs and assumed a tall, imposing stance. "Attack me," he demanded. A psychic attack, mind you. Don't get any bright ideas. "Attack me and do your worssst. Come, cadet! Make me sssuffer for having put you through the crucible for ssso long. Are you not owed thisss pleasssure?" Would it not be a tit-for-tat?

Surely you wished to channel all of your negativity elsewhere, cadet. Surely you wished to strike back at the very being who reminded you day after day after day of suffering. This was your chance! This was your moment for revenge! You wanted that, didn't you? Don't hold yourself back - attack!

A strange malaise has settled into the area...
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Not work harder? Kev blinked at Judge Fear, confused. Wasn't he supposed to work harder when he failed? Maybe he was supposed to work...better? "Prepare myself?" All at once, things were suddenly going by too fast. The Judge decided on some sort of demonstration of some kind, insisting they switch roles. The alien stared back at him, almost not comprehending him. Switch roles...? As in instructor and cadet? The Judge's familiar presence blanketed the area, temperatures dropping and the alien's body tensed preparing himself for a fight. Only to be prompted to do the attacking.

Completely gobsmacked, Kev just stared back at him for a moment. Surely this was a test. A test about...sinking to another's level or something? Or attacking out of anger? He locked up, though the Judge began to goad him. Still, he was cautious. What was the purpose here? What had been a simple little 'command the ants to get off of you' had become something of a psychic showdown as well. What could this turn out to be? "As long as you are instructing me to attack you, sir..."

Think, Kev. Think of Judge Fear. What were his weaknesses? Displays of love, obviously, but he wasn't in the mindset to imagine up a silly little thing like that. Fear would be expecting it as well. That was a shock tactic anyways, not a real attack. Hmm...isolation...like Limbo! Fear hated Limbo! He hated to be separated from his brothers! Locked up somewhere tight and hard to escape...the alien's eyes locked onto Judge Fear's as he forced his way into the corpse's mind, immediately weaving together an image to send to him. Surrounding like that of a glass bottle, slightly blurry and yet clear. Cramped and tight, with no escape, no mercy! Abandonment seeped into it as well, because he had left you alone again. Saving himself and leaving you behind like a chump. Doesn't that just burn your biscuits?

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 am

You tell a fool to attack you and he just stares... Sometimes that alien was just stupid, not going to lie. "Did I ssstutter, cadet?" Either stupid or incredibly dense. Regardless of what it was, the Dark Judge wasn't having any of it. "Attack, cadet, or I am going to once again sssubject you to a repeat of the lassst half hour," the undead fiend growled. If you think this was a bluff, Kev, then you need to speak with a certain demon. A miracle was performed and the alien eventually retaliated.

Ah, Limbo... the inescapable feeling of abandonment and loneliness.

Ah, the wine bottle... an act of sheer arrogance and naivety on the Dark Judges' behalves.

Ah, being a lowly lieutenant... destined to forever be second banana, worth little in the ways of recognition.

"Mm..." All of these things were very suitable for a direct offensive and Judge Fear quietly approved. "A below the belt ssshot," he rasped, subtly nodding. "Ruthlessss. Very ruthlesssss." But that's all it was. The ghoul drew inward, pulling malevolent energies from both the psi-flux and himself, and Kev's attempt at a psychic attack was effortlessly deflected away. An invisible shield ensconced him as the Dark Judge kept a cool, level head. "Ssso you think to remind me of Limbo... I have already essscaped it. The dimensssion no longer posssesss a threat to myssself or my brother." A layer shimmered, bolstered by the power of perseverance. It pulsed once from Kev's attack and absorbed the blow, its surface calming. "Ssso you think to remind me of the wine bottle... Thisss too I have already essscaped, able to ssstand freely before you." A second layer shimmered, bolstered by the power of truth. It too pulsed once from Kev's attack, protected by the first. "And ssso you think to remind me of my posssition... I am expendable, yesss. But ssso are all faithful ssservantsss of the law. Thisss isss the path I chossse and I accept it fully." A third layer shimmered, willed into existence and bolstered by the power of self. That made three. Three individual layers to combat each of the alien's advances with the grace and proficiency of a master. He did, after all, have many years to overcome these upsetting thoughts.

A psychic hum rippled across the backyard, Judge Fear at its epicenter. "Sssee how I did that, cadet?" he rasped. "Your attack wasss nothing. Why? Becaussse I knew it wasss nothing." Such was the power of belief, but it was more than that. "It hurtsss, yesss. Thessse are not easssy sssubjectsss to embrace, but you cannot hold dominion over myssself in thisss manner. No one can, for I have already robbed all of the power to ussse them againssst me. I have accepted them. My sssoul isss my focusss, the temple in which I rely upon itsss wallsss for sssanctuary. Ressspect and conviction are what keep it well-maintained."

We're not finished, cadet.

As the alien's psychic attack washed over Judge Fear's shields and failed to disturb the ghoul within, things could just as easily... be turned. Ghostly eyes need only fasten themselves onto Kev once, the very same layers that had protected the Dark Judge now imprisoning the alien. Kev had been entombed, and by his own psychic feedback! "How are you going to get out of thisss?" Judge Fear inquired. "Are you going to fall back upon apathy, hope, or anger? Are you going to cry?" Careful, now... He was getting inside your head, intentionally trying to rattle your thoughts. You can do this, Kev. You can do this. All you need to have is a little faith...

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 am