Defense Bar:
    35/35  (35/35)
    Health Bar:
    310/310  (310/310)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Re: A Serious Case of a Minor Flu

Post by Chell on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:08 am

If Chell had been ready to melt into the floor with embarrassment, she could at least take comfort in the fact that the man in question here didn't seem much better off. While Wheatley buzzed reassuringly around his head, she found herself sinking deeper and deeper into the couch, and by extension, her blanket-robe, wishing one of the two would swallow her up. She shouldn't have come home. She should have stayed huddled in the corner of the bakery or something until she was feeling well enough to walk, because she should have known something like this would happen. Wheatley, for as well intentioned as he usually was, did not have the qualms she did about intruding on someone's day. Now, she didn't normally expect him to know anything about social graces--again, robot--but she'd hoped he knew better than to abduct people.

Watching the man wrestle with Wheatley's pleas, she felt a stab of pity. As far as she knew, he'd done nothing to deserve this.

Recovering enough to emerge from her blanket nest, Chell was just about to wring her hands in apology when the man actually stayed, surprising her enough to freeze. Was he... actually going along with this? Squinting, she took him in for the first time, trying to place him. He looked... familiar somehow, like she'd seen him before, only she couldn't remember where. Maybe he'd been a costumer at the bakery in the past, or maybe it had been around the Inn, assuming he was a tenant like her. She couldn't really be sure. Still, he was enough of a stranger that the thought of him actually helping her took her off-guard.

Barney Calhoun wrote: "The… no-stop thing?"

Meeting the man's gaze, Chell gave him a little shrug, hoping to convey that she was just as lost as he was. Whatever the "no-stop thing" was, she was sure she had done it often enough at this point that all the motions had blurred together in her head, like a mishmash of hand flailing. Besides, whenever she was in a situation that required it, she was usually more focused on preventing Wheatley from catching himself on fire to pay any attention to what her face was doing. (Could cores catch fire? She'd never thought to ask.) As the conversation went on, and the real cause of this incident presented itself, Chell couldn't help but feel a flare of amusement at the man's reaction, and the corner of her lip quirked up despite it all. This? This was what she had to deal with, every day. It was something she could handle, most of the time, and she liked having the little core around, but... honestly. As sorry as she felt for this man, seeing someone else grapple with Wheatley for once was a little more fun than it should have been.

Of course, when it came time to add her input, she was the picture of contrition. Eyebrows arching upward, she shook her head wildly, before deciding that was not a good thing to do in her current state and went for her tablet instead. "No--I'm so sorry." she wrote, not having time to smooth out her sentences. "It's been a--I caught a little cold this morning. My roommate here was trying to help, and things got out of hand."

Suddenly, stupidly bowing to another swell of determination, her brow hardened as she wrote the last sentence. "I can make the soup."

It was the worst idea ever, but the situation had already spiraled so far out of control that her only goal now was to fix it. Gritting her teeth, Chell pushed forward, trying to ignore how fast the room was spinning. Once there, she took one step, and then two, almost toppling over on the last one before righting herself. There, she stood, pale and wobbling dangerously, before gesturing to herself as if to attest to her good health. See?
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 40

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:54 am

Uh huh.  C'mon, lady.  You're not even going to fool Wheatley with that.  And as for Barney?  Oh, Barney knew that look.  Even before he'd read the last sentence, he could have guessed what she was going to 'say.'  He'd seen the look plenty of times before - usually from Alyx - enough to recognize it for what it was.  It was the look of somebody who wasn't about to give up, even when the hand that life had dealt them was more than they could reasonably handle.  It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, at least when you were in a dire crisis, where resting was a luxury that you couldn't often afford.  It was the kind of drive that kept you alive.  Alright, sure, under the circumstances, it was completely unnecessary, seeing as there wasn't the danger of total extinction looming over their heads (the only immediate danger was Wheatley's enthusiastic 'help')  but even so...

Honestly, if she hadn't nearly fallen over when she stood up, Barney would have conceeded and let her take care of herself.  She was a grown lady, not some petulant toddler, right?  If it had legitimately looked like she might have been able to take care of herself, then he figured he didn't really have a right to butt in, no matter what Wheatley's opinion was on the subject.

But, she had nearly fallen over, and now she was looking like she might pass out if she tried to walk all the way to the kitchen.

There was letting someone be independent, and there was recognizing when they needed help, but couldn't - or wouldn't - ask for it.  

"No!  Augh, what- what do you think you're doing?"  Wheatley zipped over to her, orbiting like a tiny fretful moon, and then spun to face Barney.  "D- D'you see?  Do you see what I have to deal with?  Honestly, it's, it's just soup.  You've just got to make some soup.  Can't be that hard, can it?  Just take it out of the can, heat it up a bit, you can do that, right?  C'mon, please."  A big, blue, mechanical puppy-dog eye,  that was Wheatley.  "Don't listen to her, she's... delirious.  Yeah, that's it.  With fever.  Ooh, wouldn't want someone with fever and, and that sort of thing, making soup.  Probably dangerous."

Barney held up his hands, trying to stem the tide of chatter so he could get a word in edgewise.  "No, no, I got it.  It's just a can of soup, yeah?  I think I can handle that."  He put on his best disarming grin.  "No offense, lady, but...  he's kind of got a point.  Right now, I'm not sure what would be scarier:  Wheatley using the stove, or you trying to use it."  
    Turning to Wheatley, he added, "You stay with her, yeah?  I'll heat up the soup."  Another laid back, crooked grin was directed towards Wheatley's roommate.  "Then I'll get out of your hair.  Alright?"

((There will be a Part 2: Wheatley POV post coming soon ;) ))
    Wheatley
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 25

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    300/300  (300/300)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Wheatley on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:35 pm

((I clearly fail at "soon." D: I am so sorry!!!))

Wheatley wasn't sure how it had worked, but clearly it had worked. He, Wheatley, had successfully secured a minion- err, assistant, and now he, Wheatley, was going to be useful and helpful and take care of Chell while she was too sick to stand properly. Whether she liked it or not.

In theory, anyway.

His feelings of pride were countered, somewhat, by his nervous concern that Chell might really, actually argue and object and insist on doing things herself. She had this stubborn tendency to never, ever stop, no matter how much he tried to argue with her. Mind you, that wasn't usually a bad thing (there was that whole incident where he'd been trying to convince her to just stop moving so he could murder her, after all, and, um, in hindsight he was quite glad she hadn't listened...). It was just situations like this, when the thing she was refusing to stop doing was not letting other people take care of her, when taking care of herself was only going to make things worse...

He'd convinced what's-his-name Cal-something to help. That had been the easy part. Abducting random strangers and conscripting them into taking care of a sick person they'd never met before? Piece of cake. Convincing Chell to accept said help? Ummm....

Wheatley swiveled in the air, turning the full brunt of the piercing, pleading metaphorical beam of his big, blue eye on to Chell, instead. If he'd had a lower lip, it would have been wibbling. "That wouldn't be so terrible, would it? Just heating up a bit of soup...?"
    Chell
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    35/35  (35/35)
    Health Bar:
    310/310  (310/310)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Chell on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:49 pm

((Oh, no worries! I had a really busy month, so it would have taken me a while to get to them anyway. Plus, they were more than worth the wait. ^^))

----

As much as Chell hated to admitted, it really was starting to look like she was on the losing side here. If Wheatley wasn't buying her charade, then she had a feeling this man definitely wouldn't, though that didn't stop her from trying. Scowling, she swatted at Wheatley as he spun around her, looking more like someone trying to clumsily shoo away a bug than the threatening, totally composed woman she was trying to present herself to be. She was fine, really, she could handle it, why did he always have to make things so difficult? Delirious her foot. Even as her body screamed in protest, she was still trying to lumber her way into the kitchen, until the man speaking up again stopped her in her tracks.

Barney Calhoun wrote: "No offense, lady, but...  he's kind of got a point.  Right now, I'm not sure what would be scarier:  Wheatley using the stove, or you trying to use it."  

Okay, when someone not her frantic roommate spoke out against her, that was enough to give her pause. He was actually... willing to do this? Chell stared at him, face unreadable, trying to work out whether he had ulterior motives. Even after having been here for years, it was still somewhat of a shock to have people offer her help just for the sake of it, no strings attached. She was getting better at the whole 'trust' thing--slowly--but some things still struck her as too good to be true. Her past experiences with trusting strangers (robotic or otherwise) was still a little shaky, after all.

Still, he seemed... nice. Amiable. Chell supposed he would have to be, to let a babbling AI drag him away from whatever he was doing and not get at least a little miffed. And it's not like the world would end if she let him do this for her. It was, like he said, just a cup of soup. He could get back to his day as soon as it was over, Wheatley would (hopefully) simmer down, and she could get some hot food in her stomach before passing out. A blow to her pride, maybe, even when sick she knew not look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus, her roommate was looking at her as pitifully as she'd ever seen him.

In reality, it was probably the grin that did it. Or maybe the next wave of dizziness she felt, but she would keep that one to herself.

Peering at her roommate from under her bangs, she weighed the situation for a moment more before heaving out a sigh and giving the man a nod to go ahead. Fine, she would let this happen. But on her terms. She was close enough to the kitchen that she could make it to the dining room table without passing out--probably--and did just that, hauling herself over as best she could. Once there, she pulled out a chair, letting her chest rest against the back of it. It wasn't the most comfortable position, but the stability was enough to keep the dizziness at bay, and it still gave her a decent view of the kitchen. If this was going to happen, she was determined to be involved in it somehow.

As if anyone had any doubts, she shot a glare Wheatley's way, practically daring him to push her further.
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:18 am

Stubborn, isn't she?  Barney hid a smirk, turning to inspect his new work station.  Fortunately, he wouldn't need to go hunting around for the soup - there were a few cans out on the counter.  One was dangerously close to the stove, so that was probably the one Wheatley had tried to burn the apartment down with.  Barney picked up the can, and absently inspected the label.  Being duped into making canned soup in a stranger's kitchen by a giant, floating, metal eyeball... Yep.  This is not how I expected today to go...

Ah, well.  What could you do?

He felt a little awkward, poking around the kitchen for a pot or sauce pan or something, all under the hawk-like gaze of...

...er... well, crap, he didn't even know her name, did he?  Well, no, Calhoun, that's sorta the definition of 'strangers'.  

Feeling even more awkward having come to this realization, Barney glanced in her direction and tried to at least sound nonchalant and self confidant.  "I'm Barney, by the way.  Barney Calhoun."  

"This is Chell," said the poor lady's spherical would-be nursemaid.  The little guy was hanging out near the top arch of the doorway.  "I'm Wheatley.  A pleasure to make your acquaintance!"

Barney gave him a bemused look.  "Yeah, I know your-" He caught himself, decided it wasn't worth arguing the point, and just shook his head.  "Nevermind.  Uh... You two... been here long?"

Okay, so, he kind of sucked at small talk, but at least it beat trying to cook soup with an audience, while they all sat in dead silence and stared at him.[/i]

Last edited by Barney Calhoun on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    Wheatley
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    300/300  (300/300)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Wheatley on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:40 am

Wheatley had followed Chell, hovering over her and making his fretting visible in every line, bolt and seam of his spherical little body. He strongly disapproved of this whole leaving the couch business, but if pressed, he wouldn't have been able to come up with a good reason why. Except possibly "it's comfortable-er there." His visible worry ebbed somewhat when Chell was settled securely back in a chair - he thought that it was rather clever of her to sit backwards like that, so she had something secure to hold on to. He would never have thought of something like that! - and felt reassured enough for curiosity to creep back in.

Bobbing up to the top of the doorway, Wheatley peered in after Whatever-His-Name-Was. He'd watched Chell cooking plenty of times, so he was fully prepared to offer helpful advice, should his minion- err, assistant need it.

The man looked a little lost, poking through the cabinets for something-or-other. Wheatley was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but... the soup was right there. What was the problem exactly?

His response to the introductions were completely automatic and required absolutely no processing power on his part. But, at least now he knew the name of his stooge- sorry, sorry... ASSISTANT. The follow up question wasn't routine, though, and Wheatley shuffled through his memory banks. How long had he been here, anyway?

"Oh, ages," the Sphere said, still searching for the actual number. Carry the three... Oops, missed a decimal point there... "I have, anyway. Uh, she's been around, um..." Wheatley paused, and rotated around to give Chell a puzzled look. "Actually, I have no idea. Were you here for very long before we, um, met up in the mountains..?"
    Chell
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    35/35  (35/35)
    Health Bar:
    310/310  (310/310)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Chell on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Truth be told, unless pressed, Chell probably would never find anything wrong with just staring at the man making food in her kitchen and not saying anything. Social graces were... still not her strong suit, and she was getting better, really, but she wasn't exactly on her A-game right now. Had the man not started introducing himself, she would have been content to sit there and stare into the middle distance until he finished the soup, the realization that she had probably made him uncomfortable only hitting her later. Spending a good chunk of your formative years with only yourself and killer robots for company didn't exactly set you up with the best hostessing skills.

But, he had introduced himself, and now she knew what to call him. The name 'Barney' sounded vaguely familiar, further confirming Chell's suspicions that she'd probably seen him around, but they'd never formally met. Giving him a little nod of acknowledgement, she listened patiently as Wheatley told him her name, and didn't even bother holding back a snort of laughter at the man's reaction to Wheatley apparently giving his own name twice. As embarrassed as she felt about the whole situation, it was admittedly kind of enjoyable to watch someone else grapple with her roommate. Seeing an opening, she decided to write down her own greeting, grateful for once that with the condition her throat was in, she had Wheatley to speak for her. "It's nice to meet you, Barney."

At Barney's question, the woman chewed the inside of her cheek, brows furrowing together in thought. How long had it been, now? Between having a job, and, well, a life, Chell hadn't actually looked over her own timeline for a while, and she'd never thought to ask Wheatley for his own. It wasn't that she wasn't curious, it just never came up. 'Ages' worked well enough for her, though. When the sphere turned his attention on her, she shook her head, turning back to her tablet. "No, I think it had only been a couple of months. I didn't know you had been here so much longer than me." she wrote, looking pensive. "It'll have been about 3 years for me, in May. It's surreal, how much time has passed."

Looking at Barney, she presented her tablet. "What about you?"
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:27 am

The snort of laughter (and Wheatley's subsequent "What's so funny?" aside) drew a grin out of the former security guard. Maybe it was just him, but whenever he managed to make someone laugh, even accidentally, it was like he'd won a minor victory. Especially when they were as serious faced as this lady. Though, maybe too much laughter wasn't what the doctor might have ordered---probably hard on her throat, yeah?

While she scribbled on the tablet, Barney managed to track down can opener and a small saucepan to put the soup into, once he'd un-canned it. It wasn't until he contemplated Wheatley trying to manage this task all on his own that it occurred to him how nice it was to have, y'know, thumbs.

The tablet was turned in his direction and he caught the motion out of the corner of his eye, pausing to read for a few seconds. The finishing question caught him off guard, though it really shouldn't have. He'd been the one to ask first, after all. "Ah, jeez... About the same, I think?" Wow, had it really been that long? Time flies, huh? "Three years in March. And, man, did I pick the wrong time to turn up... right into a big mess with an elder god and some crazy virus trying to hack the Breach's code..."

It felt like a million years ago, now. So much had happened since those first few weeks of sleeping on a park bench and just trying to keep up with the sheer amount of craziness he'd landed himself into...

"These days, though, I'm more of a hermit," he added, absently, turning back to open the soup can. "It's a lot quieter."
    Chell
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    35/35  (35/35)
    Health Bar:
    310/310  (310/310)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Chell on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 pm

The laughter was a little bit hard on her throat, but frankly, Chell was secretly glad she had something to take her mind off of how miserable she felt. The circumstances definitely could have been better, for sure, but how often were circumstances ever great in Portal Breach? Most of the time when she met someone new, it was during a period of high stress for her, or in the middle of some catastrophic, world ending event. Compared to that, meeting someone after they were tricked into helping her out seemed downright quaint.

Heaving a quiet sigh, she let her head flop down against her arms, listening to Barney as he answered her question. She was a little more clearheaded now that the room had stopped spinning, which was just as well, as Barney's answer took her slightly aback when he admitted he'd lived here about as long as she had. He had been here all this time, and she had never so much as bumped into him while they were doing errands? Maybe she really was a recluse. "Sorry I'm only just now meeting you, then." she wrote, pursing her lips thoughtfully. "I think I've seen you around, though. It's hard to miss a fellow human after living in a place like this for so long."

You know your life had taken a turn for the weird when...

Coughing, she turned her attention back to the present. Barney had arrived during some elder god related disaster--Chell felt like she'd heard talk of it somewhere, though she knew for sure this had to have been before her arrival to the Breach. There was no way she could have missed some god wreaking havoc on their world, although with the way things worked here, she wouldn't be surprised if she slept through it. Maybe the Hyruleans mentioned it to her at some point. "Sounds like you have great timing. I must have missed that one." turning to Wheatley, she showed him the last line she had written, brow furrowed in curiosity. "Were you here for that?"

Barney Calhoun wrote: "These days, though, I'm more of a hermit," he added, absently, turning back to open the soup can. "It's a lot quieter."

Huh. The more she learned about him, the more she was starting to appreciate this guy. "Same here." she wrote. "Wheatley and I mostly stick to ourselves, save work and get togethers with friends. People are exhausting." Smiling a little wryly, she gave a slight shrug of her shoulders, her curiosity piqued now that she had found a kindred spirit. "Are you ever down by Wheaton and Pita's bakery?"
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Y'know, it was probably a good thing that this culinary venture was just canned soup.  Canned soup was solidly within his cooking capabilities.  In fact, he could just about manage anything that just needed to be warmed up.  Everything else?  Was gonna get a little charred around the edges...

This, though... Dumping the contents of the can into the sauce pan, turning on the stove, and giving it a half-hearted stir so it'd heat a little more evenly... He could've done this in his sleep, more or less.

Now it was just a waiting game.  Turning so he could lean on the counter by the stove, Barney read the words she was holding out.  

"Sorry I'm only just now meeting you, then.  I think I've seen you around, though. It's hard to miss a fellow human after living in a place like this for so long."

That earned her another grin.  "No kidding.  We're a rare breed, huh?  Plain ol' vanilla humans... Come to think of it, though, I think I have seen you around, too."  He chuckled. "Not sure if it was in some kinda epic battle to save the world or just at the grocery store, though.  Maybe both?"  And, it was kind of cool, he had to admit, to live somewhere that you could honestly say something like that.

Speaking of which...
    Wheatley
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    300/300  (300/300)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Wheatley on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:33 pm

"Sounds like you have great timing. I must have missed that one. Were you here for that?"

Honestly, Wheatley had been starting to space out, while the humans babbled on about human things, like being human, etc. etc.  He snapped back to attention when Chell addressed him, though, and quickly sorted through his memory banks for the last few seconds of audio.  Something, something, elder god, hacking the Breach?  "Um.  Oh!  Yeah, that's right.  I remember that one.  There was this buzzing noise, and it got into all of our heads?  Or, the robots heads, anyway, and-"

"Uh, hang on,"  Barney interjected. "You're thinking of something else.  All the robots goin' crazy happened a year or two after the thing I'm thinking about.  This had t' do with Alpha, the guy who, well, apparently destroyed everyone's universes.  There was this, uh, virus guy who was infecting the world, trying to tap into it's code or... something like that..."

"Oh!  Right!  And there was all that blue ooze stuff getting on people, and, um, well making everything sort of... melt, uh, a bit, or change into sort of something bigger and angrier-"

"No," Barney cut him off, with a small wince. "That was the.. Phazon Crisis.  I'm talking about... Look, we fought the avatar of an elder god, while he was tryin' to destroy the world.  There was this goddess, Omega... or, System, I guess-" It suddenly occurred to him that it had been a really long time since he'd even thought about this, and it brought a tinge of guilt.  He'd meant to remember Omega, after everything she'd done for them.  "-she was sort of both.  She fought him with us.  They were huge."

The Sphere squinted his eye, staring off into the middle distance for several seconds.  Then, "Nnnnno, pretty sure I would've remembered that.  You sure that's what happened?"

The former security guard sighed. "Just... forget about it."

"Um, already done!"

"Wheatley and I mostly stick to ourselves, save work and get togethers with friends. People are exhausting." Smiling a little wryly, she gave a slight shrug of her shoulders, her curiosity piqued now that she had found a kindred spirit. "Are you ever down by Wheaton and Pita's bakery?"

That really was how Wheatley liked it, too, these days.  It wasn't that he particularly minded socializing, mind you.  He was just used to... well, hanging around in a facility with no one but the occasional turret and several thousand humans in suspended animation to keep him company for, you know, years.  If he hadn't been a robot, he'd probably have gone just a bit bonkers.  (Just one more reason why robots were superior in every way.  Not that he'd rub it in the faces of a couple of humans like that.  Just... y'know.  Still true.)

Barney, meanwhile, seemed to be glad to change the subject from crisis-es.  "Passed it a couple times, I think.  Been meaning to go in, just never quite got around to it.  Why?"[/color]
    Chell
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    35/35  (35/35)
    Health Bar:
    310/310  (310/310)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Chell on Wed May 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Ahhh, now there was an inquiry. Life in the Breach had a tendency to be so crazy that it was hard to tell if that guy on the street looked familiar because you fought for the fate of the universe with him once, or just happened to pass each other on the way to the convenience store a lot. It was a question for the ages.

"Honestly? No clue." she wrote, giving a shrug of her shoulders. "Probably both, knowing this place. Although I have to admit, I don't get into as many skirmishes as some people around here seem too." Chell had seen enough action for one lifetime, thank you. True, she deeply wanted to protect her new home, but if something was going down, and she was late to the party, she wasn't going to force herself to butt in if other people were already on the job. Sometimes, too many cooks really did spoil the broth.

No pun intended.

On the subject of Breach disasters, Barney and Wheatley definitely seemed to have been through more than she had, simply by account of being there longer, she supposed. Eyebrows raised, she watched as the pair went back and forth on who had been there for what crisis, casting Barney a look that said he should give up his endeavor while he still could. At this point, it was hard to tell if the vague dizziness she was experiencing was because of the two of them or her flu. "Wait, you're saying there was some other event that affected the robots?" she managed to get in, glancing at Wheatley in surprise. She definitely hadn't been there for that... "Or am I hearing that wrong? That wasn't the Phazon thing, was it?"

That she had been there for (who could forget being stuck inside the same building for nearly a month?), but she was pretty sure the two of them had been separated at that point in time. It reminded her of just how out of the loop she tended to be, and she wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

Probably a good thing.

Getting off of that subject, Chell turned her attention back to the man preparing her soup, sensing this was probably a more comfortable topic for him. "I work there, as a baker. Been there for about two years now. I was wondering if maybe that's where I'd seen you around." It was where she spent most of her time, after all, when she wasn't hanging around the inn or hiking. Smiling a little, she directed her gaze at the floor, face tinged with something bittersweet. "They're good people. It was recommended to me by the Hyruleans, if you know them."
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Mon May 30, 2016 1:01 am

Chell wrote:"Wait, you're saying there was some other event that affected the robots? Or am I hearing that wrong? That wasn't the Phazon thing, was it?"

"Uh. Yes?"

"No."

"Right! Wait, what was the question again."

"Just..." A sigh. "Nevermind."

Getting off of that subject, Chell turned her attention back to the man preparing her soup, sensing this was probably a more comfortable topic for him. "I work there, as a baker. Been there for about two years now. I was wondering if maybe that's where I'd seen you around." It was where she spent most of her time, after all, when she wasn't hanging around the inn or hiking. Smiling a little, she directed her gaze at the floor, face tinged with something bittersweet. "They're good people. It was recommended to me by the Hyruleans, if you know them."

Barney was more than happy to avoid talking about the Phazon Incident, honestly. It had been a train wreck... and, maybe things still would have turned out the same way, in the end, even if it hadn't happened, but... it definitely hadn't done them any favors. It was better to just leave it buried.

Anyway, besides just being a welcome change of subject, it was one he was actually pretty happy to talk about. "I'm acquainted with 'em, yeah. Mostly through Impa, I can't say I've really spent much time with the others." He grinned a bit and jerked a thumb towards the door, and beyond it, the lobby. "And, well, Link's our landlord after all."

"They're good people, too. If they recommend this bakery, then heck, I'll definitely have to check it out." He glanced over his shoulder to check on the soup, but it was only just starting to steam. Hopefully it wouldn't take that much longer... it was no trouble to him, really, but she wasn't looking so good, even propped up in her chair. "Anything else I can get you, by the way? Uh, tea, maybe?"
    Chell
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    35/35  (35/35)
    Health Bar:
    310/310  (310/310)
    Stamina Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)

Post by Chell on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Well, Chell may have been sick, but she wasn't so far gone she couldn't tell when someone was uncomfortable with where a conversation was going. Right. Off of the Phazon topic for sure.

Huffing out a soft laugh, she turned to Wheatley, shaking her head. "Don't worry about it, I'm not even sure I want to know." she wrote, hoping to distract the core. "I'd rather leave that behind us, anyway--I'm just fine living the quiet life for now." And she was, really. She would be a bold faced liar if she said she never missed the thrill of adventure the littlest bit, but if not dying, or starving, and having a stable home life were the side effects of that, then she figured she was perfectly okay living without it for a while longer. It felt good, to be still for once.

Well... knock on wood.

Moving on, Chell couldn't help but perk up a bit upon her discovery that she and Barney had some things in common, particularly friends. Granted, it was kind of hard not to know the Hyruleans if you hung around the inn for any length of time, but it was heartening none the less. "That so? Impa was the first person I met here, actually." (And to this day, she had a hard time believing that stroke of luck.) "I was in a really bad place when I got here, and they kind of... took me in, in a way. They're amazing friends." Pausing, her mouth quirked into a smile at his declaration, and she began writing again. "Yes, definitely drop by the bakery someday. I can even give you some recommendations, if you'd like."

When offered even more help, Chell ran her tongue across her lips, looking slightly uncomfortable. She felt bad, making him just stand there, but she felt even worse asking for more after he had already gone out of his way to help. After weighing her options for a moment, she stole a glance at him before turning her attention back to her tablet. "Only if it's not an inconvenience. You're welcome to help yourself to some too, if you'd like. There should be tea in the cupboard."
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Chell wrote:"I'd rather leave that behind us, anyway--I'm just fine living the quiet life for now."

"You 'n' me both," Barney agreed, with a bit of a grin.  Which was a little untrue.  While he did really prefer the quiet life to the grim battles, near death experiences, and half-burnt headcrab roasted over an open fire, he couldn't honestly say he wouldn't happily take all the death defying adventures back again if it meant seeing some of the people he'd lost along the way again.  Alyx.  Gordon.  Eli.  Lauren.  So many others...
    Then again, that kind of trade didn't seem likely to be in the cards.  And, maybe he'd earned the right to a little peace and quiet.  Maybe.  "For now, anyway."

"I was in a really bad place when I got here, and they kind of... took me in, in a way. They're amazing friends."

Barney didn't have any doubts about that - he could easily imagine Impa taking the newly arrived Chell under her wing. There was something about the lady that just radiated safety. Protectiveness, without being over protective or imposing... It was something he could definitely appreciate and admire.

As Chell continued and Barney moved to retrieve the tea from the cupboard, though, his curiosity couldn't help but pry a little. "Bad place as in the area you dropped into, or bad place as in-"

His question, however, was interrupted by a flurry of coughing and throat clearing from the Sphere's direction. "Right!  Ahem!  Tea!  Let's have a look at tea, yes indeed.  Oooh, how about some lovely Earl Grey?  Or, or, ummm... chamomile?  Very soothing, that."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 pm