Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Breakeven

Post by Kev on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:02 am

"You're welcome!" Considering Kev's track record with the people he was friends with, he couldn't exactly fault Discord for daring to kill something or someone in an attempt to defend himself. It was a rather unfortunate situation all around, at least from Kev had heard. So long as Discord didn't beat himself up about it, and knew he had valid reasons for not telling Fluttershy about his experiences in the forest before she disappeared. No doubt, Discord had some regrets now due to it, but Fluttershy was so...nice, and innocent. She probably wouldn't blame Discord anymore than Kev would, but things would have definitely been tense. And as for Discord potentially having to kill more in the future, it seems the Draconequus agreed, albeit silently. Hopefully it wouldn't get too bad for him...a simple life or death, self-defense type situation rather than anything too...complicated.

Ah good, Discord was feeling better. Though the pain of losing Fluttershy was no doubt there, at least he didn't seem as distraught as he was earlier. "No trouble at all, Discord. Do you want some water, or would you prefer a pot of tea? I might even have some orange juice in the fridge." The alien offered, unsure what to give him. Discord liked tea last time, but it was still better to ask rather than shove some tea onto him. The Kryptonistanian stood up from his seat, not leaving the room until he got Discord's answer of course, though Discord also decided to thank him. "You're welcome, Discord. You don't have to worry, my day at work wasn't too busy or anything. And you're my friend. We might not be very close, but you're a good guy and...the first time is always hard. Anything I can do to help." It was what Fluttershy would want. She wouldn't want her friend to be alone and depressed, like she had been.

Though Kev's head soon quirked with interest as Discord mentioned wanting to ask something, a question he'd been wanting to ask for a while but hadn't had the chance. Other sorts of magic? The alien chuckled a bit. "I might not be the best person to ask, I'm as magical as a stump, though then again I've seen a lot..." The world of Discord and Fluttershy was definitely magical. Unicorns who could cast spells, pegasi who controlled the weather, those weird Element things, Discord himself, and all sorts of other creatures. However, Discord had never really encounter telepathy or any kind of flight that didn't involve wings. "Oh yeah, I've been here several years now and even I manage to be surprised by some things. Just when you think you're used to everything, suddenly there's a giant satellite in space that takes control of the robots and forces them to attack organics." For a moment Kev was silent, leaning his weight onto one hip as he pondered over the types of 'magic' he had seen.

"Hmm...I know I've seen a person or two who could cast their spells by waving a little stick. Others don't even need that. Some people have powers that are linked to their emotions, I think?" At least, that was how he remembered it was for Terra. "A lot of species here too, you've got aliens and all sorts of supernatural creatures, those ones usually have a lot of powers and abilities. Like shape-shifting, super strength, or fast reflexes. This world in itself is also kinda of magical! The place usually refreshes after disasters. If it didn't, the city would be destroyed twice-over. Maybe even more. As for flying without wings...hmm...think I've seen that a few times. No idea how they do it!"

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 30

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:48 am

”Some hot tea would be nice,” Discord had answered to Kev’s question. No doubt  if Kev wanted something as well then he would prefer something warm as much as Discord did right now, judging by how bundled up he was.

At Kev’s next words, he couldn’t help but smile, even if it was only a little bit. Somepony besides Fluttershy and Twilight considered him a friend? That was new, and he couldn’t say he didn’t like it. Look at him, fighting the good fight and making new friends… The ponies back home would be shocked.

A giant satellite? Discord blinked with a mixture of confusion and surprise. How would that work? He shook his head. That’d probably remain a mystery for quite a while… He’d never seen robots with such sentience before he’d come to the Breach, and though he was a little confused as to some aspects of their function, he was surprisingly okay with leaving that one a mystery for now. As far as he was concerned, they were just “organics” with wiring and a metal shell. He did look forward to trying some of his more… interactive? magic on one of them, however; they worked differently than the subjects he was used to, so it was hard to predict what effects he might have on one… Anyway:

Kev wrote:"Hmm...I know I've seen a person or two who could cast their spells by waving a little stick. Others don't even need that. Some people have powers that are linked to their emotions, I think? A lot of species here too, you've got aliens and all sorts of supernatural creatures, those ones usually have a lot of powers and abilities. Like shape-shifting, super strength, or fast reflexes. This world in itself is also kinda of magical! The place usually refreshes after disasters. If it didn't, the city would be destroyed twice-over. Maybe even more. As for flying without wings...hmm...think I've seen that a few times. No idea how they do it!"

A stick? Discord had to bite his lip to keep from interrupting. By waving a little stick… That was good. It seemed to Kev to be much more normal for people to cast spells with sticks than without, but for Discord it was the other way around. Little sticks? He supposed unicorns channeled their magic through their horns which was kind of like using a stick, but that was different. That was much more normal than picking up a stick and using that. Of course, Kev could mean a magic wand, but that would destroy his mental image that he was having so much fun with.

Linked to their emotions was interesting… He couldn’t help but think back to his own aforementioned ‘interactive’ magic’s effects; that could be interesting to observe from a safe distance. He’d met some of those supernatural creatures with their own abilities, Crowley and Washu and the judges were pretty good examples of that. The only real abilities he had seen out of Crowley were his amazing powers of irritating everyone within a five mile radius and pretending to be drunk, but Washu and the judges had been more than willing to show off their prowess. Those three were just as powerful as Discord was at 100 percent, albeit in their own ways. Super-strength and fast reflexes probably came in handy for those who had those powers, especially when it came to kicking some tail. He idly wondered for a moment if Bun-Bun had had any special abilities up his sleeve… Other than hating the best of all warm beverages and whacking everypony’s favorite draconequus upside the head with a giant lollipop, that is. Discord quickly refocused; no need to bring that up again.

The world “refreshed” itself? That was an interesting choice of words… He had noticed that the sanctuary seemed to be infuriatingly unchanged every time he visited it, even though many must come and go there between his occasional visits. He usually chose to ignore the way that everything seemed to be in the exact same spot every single time for the sake of his sanity. The sameness had even rubbed off on him a little! HOW DARE HE FORM A ROUTINE?! Just the thought of such blasphemy against himself repelled him.

”I haven’t the slightest idea either. This world really is a lot more diverse than Equestria, I’ve never seen so many different creatures in one place without any duplicates. And yet, I’m somehow still the strange one,” he snickered. “What are you?” had been the first or second question he had received from most of those he had met, and he wasn’t sure whether it was stranger to be unknown or to still be the odd one. ”Of course I’m not complaining… Unpredicted is kind of my thing; it’s in the job description.”

Wait a second… ”Where do you come from?” he asked suddenly, eying Kev with an interest that seemed almost academic. They’d established that he was odd, but Kev was just as much of an enigma to Discord as the draconequus probably was to him. For example, Discord swore that by the time he and Fluttershy had left the last time they were at Kev’s, the alien’s once full tea cup had been empty. That wouldn’t have been odd if Kev had a mouth. Consider your beverage drinking habits on watch, Kev. ”Does anyone have mouths in your home-world?”
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 pm

((Sorry this took a while! Just started my spring semester!))

"Hot tea, you got it, mate." Some hot tea would do the both of them good, though hopefully the tea would not bring up any memories for Discord. Kev lingered for a moment in the living room, and Discord's smile made him feel...well, pretty happy. Fluttershy disappearing was still rather depressing to learn about, and it definitely stung to lose such a nice pony, but making Discord smile was a reminder that not all hope was lost. Not everyone was gone. Even if one day they would be, today wasn't that day. That was something that Kev could hold onto.

Discord seemed confused about the satellite adventure Kev briefly recounted, not that Kev could very well blame him. He was actually pretty glad that Discord did not ask for more details, because Kev would be pretty clueless about how to explain what had happened. Too much time had gone by, and things had been generally unclear! Just odd...satellite shenanigans. After going over the types of magic he'd seen on the Breach, the alien slid into the kitchen and got a kettle of water prepared, setting the teapot on a burner to keep it warm as well. He had had a few lessons in tea making since he'd seen Discord. He walked back to the open doors of the kitchen and leaned on the doorframe.

"I know what you mean! It wasn't nearly this diverse back home..." His people also specifically tried to avoid most other species, of course. Surely his universe was very diverse! And it seems Kev was not the only one a bit flabbergasted when first meeting Discord. Thankfully, it didn't offend him at all. If anything, it seemed to be familiar territory for Discord, who was used to being unpredictable. And speaking of unpredictable...

"Hm?" Ah, suppose Kev had never exactly explained where he was from! Between getting Discord information about this world and his own catching up with Fluttershy, Kev didn't exactly get a chance to introduce himself completely. Though Discord's second question did make the alien chuckle. Suppose it was an honest question. "I'm from a planet called Kryptonistan! It's smaller than this planet, we didn't have a moon, and parts of it were barren wastelands while other parts were lush rain-forest. And hmm...we had numerous creatures that had mouths! Mouths used to be a sure sign that a creature was a predator, til we learned that some of the creatures on my planet just used them for eating plantlife. But as for people like me with mouths...nope! At least not on my planet. There were a few other planets I knew of, and their people had mouths. The Thermians had pinchers, though. And little...wriggly thingies." Kev held his hands up to his face and wriggled his fingers to imitate the crawly bits. "They were kinda buglike, really!"

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Kryptonistan? Has a nice ring to it… Wait, no moon?! Discord blinked in surprise. How did that work? Even the Breach had a moon! Or at least it seemed to. He wouldn’t put it past this place for the sky to end up being fake or something crazy like that, and he hadn’t exactly tried flying high enough to find out… Maybe he’d try that someday.

So there were creatures with mouths in Kev’s world. It was certainly odd to Discord that only predators would have mouths, but he also supposed that it would make it easier to tell what was likely to try and eat you and what wasn’t. Well, until you figured out that some were vegetarians, at least. Back in Equestria it was just safe to assume that anything with fangs was bad in some way. For example, even though vampire fruit bats didn’t eat meat and weren’t very dangerous per say, they were still pests and had proven themselves very destructive to orchards. Most of the dark creatures in the Everfree Forest had fangs or at least claws. Even Discord had his fang and a few sets of claws. And then there were all the cute little vegan ponies everywhere, and donkeys and mules and such as well...

Discord had to bite his lip to keep from laughing aloud as Kev imitated one of the “Thermians.” He couldn’t help it, that just looked ridiculous when Kev did it! There were certainly creatures with pinchers back on Equestria, but he couldn’t recall anything with… wriggly face parts, or least nothing on land. He supposed it would look okay on a creature that was supposed to have them. ”Interesting.” was all he could think of to say on that front.

As for the rest, ”No moon is certainly a new concept for me… Was night the same as it is here without it, or was that different as well?” He might’ve added that for a world that was used to the usual day-night cycle with the sun and moon, stealing, hiding, or destroying the moon could be a rather interesting experiment. (And one which he could swear seemed familiar… Had anypony tried that before?) However, he decided that perhaps a verbal filter would be best; he was reformed, after all.

Anyway… ”Most of the predators around Ponyville--the town Fluttershy and the gang lived in, that is--stayed in this place called the Everfree Forest. It worked basically the same way a normal forest does here, but compared to the rest of Equestria, animals taking care of themselves, big bad beasts, and uncontrollable weather was very out of place. Anyhow, it sounds like it’d be easier, not to mention safer, to be able to discern whether something was dangerous by whether or not it has a mouth… At least more so than waiting for it to try and eat you, that is,” he added thoughtfully. ”Pity there had to be a catch.”

((Don't worry about it, I've been getting pretty busy recently, too. ;) ))
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:04 am

Wriggle wriggle wriggle...lacking such interesting appendages definitely made attempting to speak with Thermians pretty hard. Lacking such interesting bits, Kev's kind tried to imitate Thermian language by ear alone, which created something of a mangled version of the language that Kev's kind spoke at the Thermian traders. The Thermian traders were usually able to get the gist of what was being said, especially after so many years of trading with each other. He continued wriggling his fingers for a few more moments, Discord's amusement was rather nice, before he stopped with a slight snicker to himself. "I wish there was a Thermian here so I could properly show you what their mouths looked like." No amount of finger wagging could prepare one for the mass of crawly, twitchy bits surrounded by a pair of pincers.

The alien nodded his head. "Yeah, most other places seem to have a moon, apparently. The night was pretty...hmm..." His head tilted to the side, a finger coming up to tap his chin. What was the right word? "Dark. Yep. Very dark, without a moon. So much darker than the night becomes here. Though we had stars, like this place does! Different constellations, of course..." Made the moon that much more special though, aside from the personal meaning.

Kev had heard from Fluttershy that Equestria definitely had a variety of creatures, and he had of course heard the same for Discord, though Kev was pretty sure this was the first he had heard about the majority of them staying in a certain forest! "Everfree forest? That's where Fluttershy and her friends got the uh...uh...hm...the Elemental thingies? Right?" The term 'Everfree forest' was definitely familiar enough. It sounded so strange...the forest maintained itself, and that scared the ponies. Animals took care of themselves and the weather managed itself too! The...horror...? Ponies were weird. "It sounds pretty easy for you guys too. Most of the predators are in one area, as long as you avoid that Everfree place, you're golden!" It was like a handy dandy guide of safety! "My people were kinda...reclusive anyways, so avoiding anything with a mouth was one of our ways of avoiding danger. Some of our predators were in the forests, some were in the skies...some were in the ground. There used to be a lot of them, really!"

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Discord couldn't stop his small snort of laughter as Kev actually wished to show him one of these Thermians. "That would prove interesting indeed," he remarked. He was actually half wishing the same as Kev; he couldn't imagine the creature himself and would've been delighted to meet one in person!

Apparently the only significant difference between a Kyptonistan night and any other was that it was darker. ”I see,” Discord replied as an acknowledgement, his expression seeming intrigued while his thoughts were almost disappointed. If that was the only difference, then perhaps destroying the moon wouldn’t have been as dastardly as it sounded… Messing with the tides and making it darker outside was much more easily done without going to such great lengths. Of course he’d put it back, if he stole it that is… It could be a nice change of scenery, but not something he figured he would enjoy as a new norm; it was much more fun to just mess with the moon as it is.

Anyway, dangerous animals. ”The Elements of Harmony, yes.” Discord was not unkind in his correction; frankly, he was surprised that Kev could even recall as much as he did. He didn’t get the feeling that Fluttershy had explained it to him at length. Discord nodded in agreement as Kev continued. The draconequus could remember a time before anything civilized, let alone ponies, had settled in Equestria, so everything had been rather chaotic. Although he preferred the land as it was, even he had to admit that it was nice to be able to walk around without fear of predators 24/7, especially if one was a harmless little equine. Or a reclusive, noodle-y Kryptonistanian. Kryptonistaner? Just Kryptonistan?

”I wouldn’t say ponies are particularly reclusive, but there are still dangers like that outside of Equestria as well,” he added thoughtfully. ”Nopony generally walks or flies that far however… The reward for such a journey is seeing then being eaten by some rather fantastic creatures, and the terrain is fairly inhospitable.” Even Discord stayed closer to Equestria than that; why travel when he could play with the entertaining mini-horses?

”Speaking of fantastic creatures, what was Kryptonistan’s wildlife like?” he inquired next. ”Anything recognizable? Equestria had the usual squirrels and birds and dogs and the like as well as the more“--he glanced at himself and then to the ceiling, apparently searching for a word--”bizarre creatures.” He’d seen and helped take care of many of the same creatures here in the Breach as Fluttershy had cared for at her home in Equestria, in fact. Apparently those creatures were rather in common as well as simply common. He hadn’t, however, seen any basilisks or manticores or anything of that sort during his stay yet. ”But what sorts of predators?”
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Kev let out a little laugh of his own, trying to imagine how a Thermian would react to meeting Discord. A Thermian may know more species, but Kev still doubted that there was anything in his world that even remotely resembled the draconequus. If Discord really wished to mess with the great big balls in the sky, he should go big or go home! No sun horse could stand in his way if he decided to make the sun his yo-yo.

"Right, Elements of Harmony." The alien nodded in understanding. Mostly, he remembered when Discord had told Fluttershy about returning them to...a tree? Or something...perhaps something Fluttershy had said about them too. "What...are these Elements, exactly? Are they like...water and fire and...ice, all sorts of element things, that somehow keep things in...Harmony?" For as much as he'd heard the term tossed around, he hadn't really learned what made up these Elements. Or what made them a part of 'Harmony'.

Pinkie Pie definitely didn't seem reclusive...nor did Rarity. Fluttershy did, but Fluttershy was also a rather shy pony whereas the other two were not. "Hm...sounds pretty dangerous. Is Equestria like a country, or would it be a continent?" Lots of dangers lingering outside of it...could be either one. Ponies seemed to stick to Equestria anyways, it seems venturing to find these creatures didn't particularly end well for them. "Ooh...that is rough. Very rough." Discord then asked about the wildlife of Kev's planet, one popping up in his head almost immediately. "Oh, well there's the Kikiri! They were large birds, they resembled owls actually! From what I've seen of them anyway..." The alien shuddered briefly before he continued. "They swooped down from the skies if you were in an open area, and were big enough and strong enough to pick up a Kryptonistanian around my size and fly away with them. There were less of them around my time, but still something we were taught to be wary of. Kraveks were a little predatory too. They were insects about this big." Kev used his thumb and index finger to indicate about an inch. "They had nests underground, or inside dead tree trunks. As long as you stay away from them, you should be fine, but the moment they can attach to you, they sink their teeth into you and drink your blood. Adults would live through it, but the elderly, the dying, or young spawn could die. We'd capture them sometimes though, their saliva was useful. It could be mixed into a salve and used to stop a bleeding wound. Otherwise, the wildlife on my planet didn't really resemble the ones here. Then again, a lot of them perished after..." A sudden and sharp whistle from the kettle sounded, the alien stiffening. "Oh! Be right back. That's the tea~"

Returning to the stove top, he removed the kettle from the burner, as well as the tea pot that had been warming up. Three scoops of tea leaves were set inside the tea pot, and the water was poured. Setting the top on the pot and setting it aside so it could steep, he looked back at Discord. "How do you like your tea? Sugar, milk, honey?"

((Sorry, again, that this took so long, again!))

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 pm

((It's no problem!))

Kev wrote:"What...are these Elements, exactly? Are they like...water and fire and...ice, all sorts of element things, that somehow keep things in...Harmony?"

Discord snickered slightly in good humor. ”Not quite,” he replied. ”There are six elements; Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, and Magic. Princess Celestia and her sister Princess Luna used to control the elements after they found them in the Tree of Harmony, but these days they’re controlled by Fluttershy and her friends. Fluttershy is the living embodiment of Kindness, and therefore that is the Element of Harmony she both controls and represents. Pinkie Pie’s element is Laughter, Rarity’s is Generosity, Applejack is the element of Honesty, Rainbow Dash has Loyalty, and Magic is the most powerful element and is pony-sonified as Princess Twilight Sparkle. Together, they can wield the elements’ power and use it to defeat forces of disharmony and chaos, usually by shooting rainbows at the bad guys.”

Discord winced slightly as he thought of those surprisingly destructive spectrums. ”Rather dangerous rainbows, I might add…” His pride wouldn’t allow him to admit any more than that, even though Kev may already know of at least one of his crushing defeats at the hooves of those accursed kill-joy elements. If not, then the implications would likely be understood anyway. No need to restate the obvious.

At least he had other questions and descriptions to look forward to now. No need to dwell on the past for any longer than it deserved. He was reformed now, those defeats don’t matter. ”Hmmm… I suppose it is more similarly built to a country, now that you mention it. The civilized world is divided into cities and towns such as Ponyville and Canterlot and all of those make up Equestria. Creatures such as Griffins and Dragons and the like usually stay in their own respective territories beyond.”

Giant owl-like creatures? And appropriately named, assuming that was the sound they made when they thought of attacking. Also, from the sounds of it, massive or at least very powerful. ”Yikes.” His eyes widened slightly with fascination. Equestria had the aforementioned dragons, but they only presented danger to ponies when they were messed with. He could hardly imagine a bird with the same fearsome capabilities. He briefly thought of experimenting with a certain some-eagle who had made fun of him some time ago, but quickly dismissed the thought. Fluttershy certainly wouldn’t approve.

And quickly to similar news, Bloodsucking insects as well… He’d hate to come across a swarm of those unprepared. He might’ve preferred the bird! ”Again, yikes.” Most of the smaller animals in Equestria weren’t deadly threats to ponies, with a few exceptions, of course, including that pesky cockatrice. Most of the smaller “predatory” creatures were really only indirect dangers, such as the Vampire Fruit Bats who destroyed crops.

Both Discord’s attentive listening and Kev’s speech were interrupted by the kettle’s shrill screech. The draconequus actually jumped slightly, having mostly forgotten about the offer of tea over the course of the conversation. ”Just honey for me, thank you,” he answered. He forced himself to wait patiently for Kev to return and finish what he had been saying. Perished after what?! The suspense is killing him!
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Kev's face likely betrayed his absolute intrigue and confusion about these elements. Whenever he had heard the term elements, it usually meant...element stuff that existed in the world. Stuff you could grab and throw or something. But these elements were...Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, and Magic. How did you wield 'honesty' as a weapon? "Hmm..." Well actually that sounded a little familiar. "That reminds me of this...little necklace thing I used to have. An old friend gave it to me, it's supposed to have some sort of power and it's connected to 'reliability'. Another friend of mine got one that worked with 'love'." Though he had no idea if Jo still had it. Kev still had his, though he didn't always wear it like he used to. These elements were originally used by the Princess ponies after they found it in the tree, something he remembered Discord telling Fluttershy before. At some point however, control of those elements had been shifted to Fluttershy and her friends. Fluttershy had Kindness, Kev gave a small nod. Yeah, that sounded about right! Pinkie Pie had Laughter, and much like Bonkers, she was rather wacky and fun, liking to make people smile. Rarity's was Generosity, and that was actually hard to picture for a moment. Though with a bit of thought, he remembered that she was a very giving and kind pony, and again nodded his head. These other ponies, Kev had either never heard of or only heard their names. Applejack was Honesty, Rainbow Dash was Loyalty, and Twilight Sparkle was Magic, also the most powerful of the bunch.

Made sense that the Elements of Harmony were used to thwart chaos and disharmony. Definitely put them at odds with what Discord used to want. Kev did raise an eyebrow however. "Rain...bows?" The...little things that showed up in water when the sunlight hit it just right? They used the power in these Elements to wield a rainbow and blast people with it? From Discord's reaction, the process wasn't exactly sunshine and lollipops either. The alien winced and nodded his head. "Right...that definitely...well I have to say. I have heard a lot of things and that one is definitely unique! I bet that kind of rainbow power would be useful the next time there's some sort of disaster here though." It was just a shame that none of the Element bearers were here. For a moment, Kev twiddled his thumbs awkwardly, before Discord answered his question.

"Ah, like a country?" Definitely sounded like it, as this Equestria place was made up of cities and towns. "Equestria sounds pretty big and spacious, then." Kev definitely liked Portal Breach, but there was only the one city. Any other cities and towns that were in the area were probably hidden or a great distance away, like in the jungles. "I guess that's nice that they keep to their own area. Probably keeps things peaceful. I wouldn't wanna be a pony in the middle of a civil war with Griffons and Dragons..." As Kev described the types of creatures from his own planet, he could tell that Discord seemed pretty interested. Well, interested and fascinated. Not many places seemed to have giant predatory birds capable of grabbing a fully grown person and carrying them off to be eaten. He was glad to be doing a good enough job of describing them that Discord wasn't bored!

Alas, eventually the tea was ready and that had to be attended to. The alien watched over the teapot as the tea steeped, glancing back at Discord. "Ah, you like honey in your tea too? Great!" Take that, Judge Fear! Snickering to himself, Kev reached over to one of the cabinets and withdrew the bottle, shaped like a bear. Placing it on the tray alongside the two tea cups. After a few minutes had passed, Kev took a peek inside the teapot and deemed the tea acceptable and ready to drink! Placing that on the tray as well, Kev carried the tray out to the living room and set it down upon the coffee table. "I didn't know how much tea or honey you'd want, so I'll let you pour it for yourself." Thankfully, Discord had a...paw and a...bird hand, so there wouldn't be a problem. Poor Fluttershy couldn't really pour with those hooves.

Allowing his guest to have the first pour, Kev collected his thoughts. "Where was I...oh! Right! A lot of the wildlife on my planet perished after this...well, I wouldn't call it a war. In a war, both sides have equal ground and stuff, right? I guess it was more of a one sided thing...anyway, this other group of aliens had come to our planet to barter with our Elders, they wanted to arrange a trade deal sort of thing, for the resources our planet had. Lots of plant-life that could make medicines, supplies, there was stuff in the ground that they'd wanted to dig up too, but we said no. I should probably mention real quick that this went down before I was born...anyway, they didn't take very well to that. They really wanted what we had, and I think in their minds, we were just sitting on all of these things and barely using any of it. We were just content to sit around in the jungle and try not to die. They got upset and...well, attacked. Destroyed most of the planet with their weapons. Even by my time, a majority of the planet was still this dark, blackened wasteland. A lot of creatures, both predator and prey, were killed off in those explosions...same for the plant life too. Figures that the Kikiri would be one of the things to survive, though. They're stubborn."

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:18 pm

((Sorrysorrysorry this took so ridiculously long, I've been busy recently but shouldn't be anywhere near as busy anymore.))

Discord’s explanation of the elements seemed to be, for the most part, satisfactory. At the mention of the necklaces, Discord’s ears stood up and his eyes widened slightly in surprise. Reliability and love? Interesting… ”That--actually sounds almost exactly like the elements.” He regretfully noted the key phrase, "used to have." If Kev had still had his, Discord would've liked to ask to see the trinket sometime. Not to hoard, of course (unless the owner began plotting against him), but one couldn’t help but be curious.

”Yes, angry rainbows.” As for using the elements to take down the villains of the Breach, he couldn’t disagree with the idea. He was vaguely reminded of the rather alarming candy-induced vision he had had during the ‘excursion,’ something he couldn’t recall very well and also didn't care to recall, but quickly shoved the thought to the side. ”Perhaps. If only all of the elements were here on the Breach, that is. However, considering how miserable the girls would be here, I wouldn’t hope for that.”

Equestria really was rather spacious wasn’t it? Peaceful, tranquil… Too peaceful. Discord actually had work to do there! Here on the Breach, most of his work was done for him; all he had to do was add a little style. Wait, where was he? Oh yeah… ”Certainly. Lots of open countryside between cities.” Civil war? Oh good grief, he couldn’t even imagine what that would’ve been like. The poor ponies wouldn’t stand much of a chance, he imagined. The girls surprised him every now and then when the occasion called for them to be more horse than pony, but the average citizen of Equestria was not cut-out for war. Come to think of it, it was usually only with the help of a few certain ponies that Equestria overcame most of its world-threatening villainy... He thought back to what he had heard and seen in papers of the changeling attack on Canterlot, especially how the citizens had fared when Shining Armor's shield spell had failed, even with the meager attempts of the royal guard, competent as ever. No, he wasn't sure that the general populace of Equestria would do well in a long-term war with another species.

But nevermind that, the tea was finally ready! ”Thank you,” Discord said with a slight pleasant smile when Kev came back with the tray, setting it on the table. Discord poured himself a nearly full cup and added a bit of honey to stir in as Kev began his explanation, setting the kettle and adorable little bottle back down on the tray for Kev as soon as he finished with them.

So there was a “war” of sorts. Well, certainly not a war per say; Discord couldn’t help but wonder if Kev’s people had ever really had a chance to begin with. The other aliens hadn’t taken too kindly to being refused trade rights at all, responding to the refusal with murder. ”That’s awful,” Discord said once Kev was finished, his nose wrinkling in disgust. He took a tentative sip of his hot tea, mulling the information over for a moment. ”Do you know why your kind turned down the trade offer?” Discord naturally assumed that the Elders hadn’t known what was really at stake beforehand, but even so, what was so bad about sharing resources? Unless there was a limited supply and the resources would’ve been driven to extinction or some similar scenario, then their reluctance to make a deal would be understandable. He decided not to ponder the stupidity in foolishly destroying many of the valuable resources that they had wanted to trace for in addition to much of the civilization for various reasons.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:28 pm

((No worries! We both seem to be very very busy. I had this post sitting in drafts for a bit, I got some food poisoning << the worst is over now though!))

"I kinda thought so too. I don't really know what the others are though..." For all the two of them knew, maybe they were nearly identical. Maybe if they had all of them, they would have a rainbow power like the Elements. It definitely seemed to get Discord's attention though, the draconequus' body language was very attentive. "Would you wanna see it? I keep it upstairs...used to wear it all the time but now I only wear it if there's a disaster or something going on. Just in case." All this time, he had never really gotten a chance to use the little crest. He wasn't even sure what power it held, other then maybe some sort of healing thing? He wasn't sure how to activate it either. How do you 'act reliably' on demand?

Kev couldn't help a slight snort as he raised an eyebrow at Discord. "Angry rainbows." Rainbows always seemed rather happy, or at least calm. But a bunch of angry rainbows writhing around and attacking someone...well, it just looked rather ridiculous. Kev would have to see it in action in order to properly understand how it worked, though the possibility of such was unlikely, according to Discord. "Well, Pinkie Pie and Rarity seemed satisfied enough when they were here, and Fluttershy was happy to have them. I suppose it'd just be better if all of them were here together. For the elements and for their friendship." And Equestria was full of open countrysides between bountiful cities. "Sounds like my kind of place. Especially the countryside part." The alien said with a small nod. Although cities could be nice, definitely interesting, Kev preferred the wilderness. The air seemed so much cleaner, the plantlife was always nice to look at, and he got the best views of the skies out here.

Kev nodded back to Discord as he placed the tray down. "You're welcome." He waited patiently until Discord had finished pouring his tea and squeezing his honey. A good host lets their guest go first! Kev squeezed his honey into his tea in a nice, swirly pattern before stirring it all together with a spoon. Deeming it satisfactory, Kev placed his tea aside so it could cool down. "Yeah, it was pretty terrible...even by my time, the planet still hadn't recovered from it all." He gave his tea a thoughtful stir as he pondered over Discord's question. "When I learned about all of this as a young spawn, we were told that the Elders turned them down because they acted rude. Plus, we always took just what we needed and nothing more, so another species coming and asking to take more then what they needed right now sounded greedy. In the end we did actually start up trade, but not with them. Another species, the Thermians, intervened and kept us from being destroyed entirely. They offered to help us out, in exchange for whatever resources we still had left. Since we wound up trading anyway, I think we should have just taken up that first offer. Would have avoided a lot of issues...but you know how it is. Can't change the past, unfortunately." Kev pulled a glove off and grabbed up his teacup, sliding his fingers into the tea. It had by now cooled down enough for him to drink without scalding himself. "Mmm...so, you say you got a job, right? What's your job?" His head tilted curiously, wondering what a magical being like Discord could have for a job.

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:46 am

((Aw, I'm glad you're at least starting to feel better, though! Nice avatar, by the way.))

Kev wrote:"Would you wanna see it?"

”Yes,” Discord replied eagerly the second Kev had finished speaking. (It had taken a massive amount of willpower to not interrupt him.) He cleared his throat. ”Perhaps before I leave,” he added somewhat sheepishly. He didn’t want to give Kev the wrong idea; he truly didn’t have foul intentions, he was just really, really, really curious. Of course, he figured saying so would make Kev even more suspicious than not… If he was even suspicious in the first place, that is. A-nyway…

”Hmph,” he snorted at Kev’s rather incredulous attitude towards the subject of violent angry rainbows. ”Just you wait until a rainbow sends you to the moon or turns you to stone; you’d see what I mean.” Rainbows could be terrifying! There's nothing more harmonious than a rainbow, so the vile spectrums were naturally his polar opposite. When wielded with such devastating accuracy by those accursed elements of harmony, they could do some serious damage to things like him! Of course, Kev had no reason to fear rainbows because they wouldn't have any reason to go after him. And it wasn't just the power of rainbows that made them so vile, oh no. It was also just rainbows in general; they're so boring! They all look exactly the same, even if some are missing a few colors. Roy G. Biv; remember that kids, because any other order is complete blasphemy. Celestia forbid that anypony get creative with rainbows... Discord had no interest in memorizing the order of the colors in a boring old rainbow, nor did he have any practical applications for a color wheel; his color coordination is flawless without one.

Speaking of harmony and returning to relevance, he supposed the ponies would be happier here when they were together… It was in their nature to make the best of a bad situation, after all, and that was certainly something made easier with friends. ”I suppose you’re right.” He couldn’t help but smile slightly at the thought of Kev living in Equestria; from what he’d seen of him, he’d say that the Kryptonistanian would fit right in with the ponies, given his seemingly friendly disposition as well as the way he managed to befriend even the shy, timid Fluttershy.

…The prevention of wasting resources was definitely a better reason to deny trade. Discord blew on then carefully sipped his tea as Kev explained. So the Thermians helped out… That was nice of them, even if they did receive their share of the remaining resources as a payment. He had to agree with Kev’s conclusion that they should have just traded in the first place, but, as he also pointed out, the past was rather set in stone. ”Unfortunately.”

Wait, how did-- Oh yes, he had said that he had gotten a job, he had almost forgotten. A lot on his mind and all that. ”Yes, I did,” he replied. ”It’s rather mundane, really. Basically, I go out on weekdays and collect various herbs and such from the forest and the mountains for an alchemist, and he pays me for it. It’s a nice little shop; Njorth’s Nookery. He sells potions and the like. I usually get back by five.” He actually did like the job, even if it got rather repetitive. He’d met all sorts of wildlife along the way, and it was easier for him than Njorth considering that Discord had wings and would eventually regain the ability to teleport. That’d be the day… The man had nothing more to travel on than his own two legs, or at least nothing that Discord knew of.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:43 am

((Thanks! Yeah, I'm feeling much better though I side-eye every hot dog I see now xD And thank you! Mel drew it for me~ She rps Alasdair and Sutekh, Nym, Lunette, Ninetails, Randall, and Zs'Skayr!))

The question had just barely left Kev's...well, mind, when Discord have his rather eager answer. A quick, resounding yes. Kev blinked, taken back by how blunt and quick the answer had come, though Discord's sheepish addition made him chuckle. "Alright. It won't take me too long to find it. Hopefully it's worth looking at for you." Kev knew it was supposed to have some sort of power to it, but he'd never seen it in action for himself. For all he knew, it could be broken by now. It'd be a shame if that were the case...

"The moon? Stone?" Magic rainbow beams sending someone to the moon was one thing; apparently astronomy was different in the pony world. After all, this was a world where ponies made the moon and sun raise into the sky with magic. So maybe the moon was close enough that a blast from a rainbow could shoot you straight up to the moon. Turning someone to stone...that sounded incredibly strange. But considering the fellow telling him all of this? It was par for the course. "Sounds kinda...violent for magic rainbow beams. Guess they really are angry rainbows..." It was especially strange to imagine that kind of power being at the hooves of ponies like Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. They were all so sweet and kind! Suppose such power had to stay with ponies like them though, anyone else might abuse it.

Discord admitted that Kev may have been right, the alien giving him a pleased look in an attempt to return his smile. It really would be nice if all of the ponies could be together in one spot. Kev was very familiar with what it was like to be separated from friends, and for ponies like them...well, they just seemed so darned innocent. Something like their friends and very world being torn away from them, well it must have been awful. It was awful for everyone, really, and Kev gave his tea a thoughtful stir. The draconequus also agreed on the circumstances of Kev's kind, that unfortunately the past was in the past, and such mistakes simply couldn't be fixed. But on to better subjects, yes? Present ones, in fact, like Discord's job!

Kev's head quirked to the side, listening with interest. So Discord ventured out into the wilderness and collected herbs and other plant-life that would benefit an alchemist named Njorth. "Njorth's Nookery? Hmm...I've never heard of the place or the man, but it sounds interesting. And worth checking out! He could have some useful salves and other ointments. Those would be useful in a hairy situation." It wasn't quite the kind of job he expected a guy like Discord to have, but so long as Discord enjoyed it and got paid, it sounded nice! He could go out in the wilderness, gather things up, and deliver it. "Mmm..." Kev peeked down at his tea cup, looking at how much of the beverage he had consumed during their talk. About a third? Seems like a good spot to stop to him. He set the cup aside and wiped his hand on a napkin before rising from his seat. "I'll be right back, Discord! I'm gonna go look for the crest." He walked around the couch and over to the staircase, rising up the steps and making his way into his room, eagerly beginning to search the moment his feet entered the doorway.

Where oh where could that little crest be? The alien searched the table in the corner of the room, opened the trunk at the foot of the bed and shuffled around in there. He checked the end table and found a few odds and ends, but no crest of reliability! Kev kneeled down and squinted his eyes to search under the bed. There were dust bunnies, but nothing else...hmm...he righted himself and glanced around the room before his gaze settled on the closet door. Maybe...he stood himself up and crept over to the door, opening it up and leafing though the clothes that were hung up. Pimp suit, vest suit, fancy suit, sweater, jacket...he briefly looked through his puppet box, finding a lot of puppets and that was it. Finally, he decided to look at the coat rack he had sitting in the corner of the closet, and there, hanging on the same hook as a blue knit cap, was a chain with a tag at the end! Kev snatched it up in a hurry and almost hopped his way down the steps as he zipped back to the living room, holding the chain in one fist. "Found it!" He walked over to Discord's side and flipped the tag over so that he could clearly see the crest inside.

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:11 pm

So he would be allowed to see Kev’s own little magic necklace. Considering how different this harsh world was from Discord’s own, he couldn’t help but be curious. Disharmony was all well and good, but at least in the meantime--that meantime being while he could hardly hold his own in a fight--it could be nice to have magic similar to the Elements of Harmony. Civilizations being turned inside out was one thing, but much of this world’s chaos was violent, barbaric, and crude, such as the Red Queen and her reign of terror had been. What was the point of world domination if there was no world left to dominate afterwards? He’d never admit he’d thought it, but perhaps the Elements of Harmony weren’t so bad in moderation after all.

Onward to better things, apparently he had sufficiently argued his case on the subject of vengeful rainbows, and although Kev hadn’t heard of Discord’s workplace or “boss,” he thought it worth looking in to. ”Oh yes, he sells all sorts of goodies,” the draconequus replied. ”I’ve even considered purchasing some of his wares myself in case I ever find myself having been abducted in my sleep again.” When the world was as monster-eat-draconequus as it was, he found himself with the urge to sleep with a crude weapon under his pillow. The only thing keeping him from actually doing so was the newly rediscovered confidence he had in his magical abilities, seeing as they had strengthened with time.

Kev hopped away to go find his magic necklace, and Discord took this opportunity to get into a staring contest with the alien’s leftover tea. He had been discreetly paying attention the whole time, but the only good it had done was proving that the tea had gone somewhere. Old news; that didn’t tell him where to or how the tea had disappeared, which at the moment was the only thing he really cared about.

The Interrupter of Intimate Teacup Moments wrote:"Found it!"

The sudden return of the alien made Discord (almost literally) jump out of his skin. Without grace and with a lot of noise, the draconequus hastily jumped from his position on top of the table staring down into Kev’s cup to the chair on which he had previously been seated, sprawling over it sideways with one leg crossed over the other, sipping at his teacup (which somehow hadn’t spilled); picture-perfect nonchalance.

He glanced coolly over at Kev. ”Oh, you’re back,” he remarked, as if nothing had ever happened, ever. He craned his neck to peer at the trinket Kev was showing him. ”Fascinating.” Actually, it was… He sat up to get a better look at the small crest on the inside. The whole piece seemed a little more like a locket than an amulet, but still remarkably similar.

”Since we’re doing show-and-tell…” He snapped his fingers, a likeness of the Element of Loyalty appearing out of thin air. It was only a solid illusion and had no power, but it would do as a visual comparison. He held the necklace out for Kev to investigate. ”Similar, but not quite the same,” he said. ”Have you any idea how to work yours? Or is it just some sort of instinct?” What it could be used for was an equally interesting topic, but that horse could be held for just a moment.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:19 pm

((I'm sorry this took so long!))

"What sorts of goodies?" He could think of a few reasons to have the sorts of things Njorth may have. For instance, health potions would be great! Some sort of potion for stamina, and basically any other object in his shop that would go towards healing would still just be splendid. Not to mention it'd probably sell like hot cakes. At the mention of being kidnapped in one's sleep, the alien let out an awkward sort of chuckle. "Ehehe...yeah...that's probably a good idea." He shuffled in his seat for a moment before he added "I'm sorry you got...swept up in all of that. But if you get stuff from Njorth, you'll probably be very prepared next time!" If there was any sort of mercy, it was that those kinds of events or disasters were lessening. They were not quite so frequent! Whenever they did happen though...they tended to be pretty big. Perhaps to make up for lost time.

The search for his crest didn't take too long, though it seemed to take long enough that Discord found a way to occupy his mind while Kev was gone. Namely, by...looking down at Kev's cup? The sight only lasted for a moment as once Kev announced his return, the draconequus moved very quickly. In a blur of action and movement, Discord leapt from the table back into his seat, even sipping at his tea in a casual fashion. Kev blinked at the draconequus several times, head tilting to the side. "Was I...interrupting something?" Some sort of intense stare down with his cup... "If uh...you need more tea, you're welcome to pour yourself some more." Though he was sipping at his cup. So if he had tea, why was he staring at Kev's cup like that? Could it have been a dream or something? The casual nature of Discord's behavior made him question it even more before he noticed that Discord was checking the crest out. Right, right. Let's focus on this and focus on the cup thing later!

Discord snapped his fingers and an odd necklace came into being. With a very large, swirly golden chain, at the very center of it was a red gem cut into the shape of a...lightning bolt? Kev's eyes widened before he took it as offered, offering his own crest in return should Discord wish to look at it for himself. Kev rubbed a thumb over the red stone, admiring how shiny it was, though he had to wonder what it represented? He fiddled with the chain slightly, yep definitely seemed like it'd fit a pony... "Is this one...Magic?" Magic appeared in lightning bolts sometimes. Indeed, the necklaces were similar. A normal chain of some kind, and at the very center of it was the vital part, carrying the power. At least, he assumed the red stone carried the power. He passed it back to Discord as he pondered. "Hm...from what I remember, I think it is by instinct. The...one who gave it to me is gone now, so I'm afraid we won't be able to ask him about it. But I think it is instinctual. Operating when I feel or somehow act...reliable."

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:33 pm