Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Breakeven

Post by Discord on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Time: Later that Evening (after this)
    Date: December 1st, 2014

Discord had been running and flying interchangeably for who knows how long; he hadn’t exactly been keeping track. All he knew was that he had reached the edge of the forest and had kept going, straight into the heartlands. Even that knowledge, however, remained less than fully realized at the back of his mind. Too much else was going on simultaneously in there, and it was ever so difficult to decide which thoughts to focus on.

There was one prevalent realization forcing itself to the forefront of his concentration, though; Fluttershy was gone. He had a letter and more than two weeks of silence and waiting to prove it. And yet, for some reason, he kept telling himself no, that that letter was delivered too early, that Fluttershy would come home and all of this would be behind them. He'd been good friends with possibility for a long time; there was no way she would turn on him now.

He couldn’t wait any longer for her to come home; he needed to know for certain that she wasn’t coming back, he felt the need to talk to something inanimate or otherwise, he needed time to process this! How in the world was he supposed to be handling all of this?!

He slowed to a stop. There was a building of sorts, just there in the visible distance. Even through the deepening evening he could see it, silhouetted by the steadily sinking sun. Wait, that was… Yes, of course it was. It was Kev’s place, wasn’t it? Kev, he had been friends with Fluttershy; she had said so, he was one of her only friends here.

His travel gained purpose as he quickly continued, headed straight for Kev’s humble abode. He paid no mind to the animals he passed; they may as well have been cardboard cut-outs for all his newfound case of tunnel vision cared.

It wasn’t until he had somehow already knocked on the door that he realized that perhaps he shouldn’t make this habit he seemed to be forming of showing up announced… And that he had no idea how he was going to break the news to Kev when he could barely manage to break it to himself. He sighed inwardly and wiped any sign of distress from his face which he could control.

Somepony like Fluttershy would’ve noticed that the shadows that typically framed his eyes were darker than usual, or how his tail was carried much closer to the ground than before, or that his expression was overly emotionless… Kev may or may not be able to notice the subtle differences that came with knowing him more intimately than an acquaintance, but there was definitely a difference between the draconequus who stood at the doorstep now and he who had accompanied Fluttershy to the same place several months ago; that much anyone with eyes and a brain could likely notice with little difficulty.
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Breakeven

Post by Kev on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:15 am

Cold. Way too cold. The alien almost grumbled as he chucked another chunk of wood into the fireplace, urging the fire to fill the entire place up with warmth. With a wool hat on his head, a pair of winter gloves, and a jacket, the alien was definitely dressed to keep warm. Eventually, he abandoned the fireplace to plop on his couch and cover himself in a soft blanket. Winter was a nice time of the year and all, but he could do without the cold weather. Made the walk from the city to his cottage a hard one, though he always had a warm fire place to look forward to. The day had gone by as it usually did, he had nothing to complain about. Work went on as it usually did, and he'd decided not to go to the Sanctuary for once, just too intent on getting to the warmth of the cottage. It felt like a really good night for staying home.

Suddenly, knocking on the door. The dogs had all appeared from thin air to settle around the front door and bark at whoever was beyond it, the alien blinking in confusion. He wasn't exactly expecting any visitors, as far as he knew. Still, the alien flung the blanket off and ushered the dogs away, waiting until they had stopped barking and went about their business to open the door. He definitely didn't expect to see a strange yet familiar figure in the doorway. "Discord?" Immediately, the alien glanced around, even peeking beside Discord, expectantly. Surely if Discord was here, Fluttershy was here too? Though the two of them weren't exactly a package deal or anything, but the last time Discord had come over, it had been with her. She did not seem to be here...so maybe Discord just came over because he wanted to. Though the draconequus in front of him did not look...happy. Or sad. He looked...blank. It was an odd look, for such a curious creature. Discord didn't look like he'd come over for a happy get-together or a shindig. Something had happened. But...what? Growing anxious yet deciding not to jump to conclusions, Kev shuffled out of the doorway for Discord. "Come on in, Discord."

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 30

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Naturally Kev was a little surprised to see him, he was unannounced after all. ”Hello again.” It was stated more like the obligatory social convention it was rather than the cordial greeting it should have been, especially considering that he and Kev were at least fond acquaintances if not friends. He hadn’t missed that pointed glance to his side, nor had he missed the implications, but he also didn’t concern himself with it. He could’ve been imagining it for all he knew.

Discord entered the cottage silently once Kev stepped aside and invited him in. He feigned looking around the place, but all he really noticed was the heat coming from the fireplace. He hadn’t even realized that it was actually quite frigid out, what with all his distractions and running all the way here from the forest. He glanced over at Kev, briefly thinking to question why he was so bundled up while indoors. In the end, he didn’t ask aloud and the thought was gone as soon as it had arrived. It was hard to stay interested in something so trivial.

”I hope you weren’t in the middle of anything,” he said. He was making no move to sit down, and he couldn’t say for certain that he would even if Kev invited him to do so. ”If now’s not the best time, then…” The rest of the sentence was implied, but he had no intentions of leaving. Of course he had to give Kev the option of kicking him to the curb… He didn’t want to completely forget his manners, now did he? Especially given what he might be here to say, he couldn’t just drop something like that on Kev without any decorum whatsoever; they were good friends, him and Fluttershy. ”I wouldn’t want to overstay my welcome.”
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:50 am

Once Discord had walked in, Kev shut the door behind him, though he hesitated for a moment and peeked out of the door to make sure that he wasn't about to lock a little pony outside in the cold. Nothing else was outside of the cottage, though, and it set off a few warning bells. Had something happened? Was Discord here because he needed help? No, he would have already said something like 'hey Kev, Fluttershy is dying, we need some help', so that couldn't be it. Outright asking what was going on was a little blunt, especially since he had only met Discord once before. He liked Discord, but he didn't exactly feel close enough to start interrogating him about his purposes for being here.

Discord didn't seem inclined to sit just yet, and the alien was quick to snatch up his blanket and bundle it up in his arms to make room just in case he wanted to, though for the moment the alien decided to stay standing as well. Discord was rather tall, and he'd prefer to keep a level eye contact with him. "Oh no, no. I just got home from work a few minutes ago, I was just getting the place toasty warm. I don't get central heating or anything out here." He cast a slight, curious glance at Discord's own scaly appendages. Was Discord warm blooded, or were parts of him cold blooded? No matter what he was, he didn't seem particularly bothered by the cold. His eyes looked back with the chimera's, wondering. "Now's fine. Better than fine, since I don't have anywhere to go until tomorrow." Fine for what though, exactly?

The alien glanced down at the bundle in his hands and dumped it unceremoniously on an unused chair. "Nah, you aren't overstaying it at all! It's been a while, after all." It had been a while, and again the absence of Fluttershy was just so...wrong. Things were silent for a moment, the alien tapping his knuckles together before deciding to just speak up. "Is everything alright, Discord?" Signs were pointing to no, and it was perhaps a dumb question...but it still needed to be asked.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Discord had merely nodded, trying to seem at least partially engaged as Kev spoke of his recent whereabouts, and he didn’t break that silence that lingered the moment before he asked about his wellbeing. It was surprising, he found, that he had run all the way here in the cold just to have this conversation, only to get here and really not want to have this conversation. He was almost tempted to just return to his aimless pacing, but the knowledge that that would just make things worse by allowing his anxiety to continue to fester kept him still.

Kev wrote:"Is everything alright, Discord?"

Hm. ”…Possibly.” Kev was certainly suspicious. If not, then he certainly would be after his next carefully considered phrase. ”There haven’t been any… odd or supernatural occurrences recently, have there?” As he had been repeating to himself somewhere along his thought train, the same thing could’ve happened to Fluttershy that had happened to him. He held onto that thought with inexplicable desperation, described as such because why in the name of all that is disharmonious would he want her to go through the same kind of horrors that he hadn’t dared to speak of to her? Certainly just vanishing would be kinder… And yet--

He cleared his throat slightly. ”Aside from the curiously wonderland-like excursion that you’ve likely heard of by now, of course. I’m aiming for sooner than that.” A lot sooner.

Although his voice hadn’t sounded anxious, the slightly increased intensity with which he gazed at Kev now while awaiting a response was its own brand of desperation. He might’ve even been holding his breath--he couldn’t busy himself with pondering that at this most crucial moment. He was tense and expectant, waiting for the answer he wanted to hear, even as the tiny little malicious voice of no-duh at the back of his mind quietly reminded him that Kev was certainly not about to tell him what he wanted to hear; he hadn’t exactly opened the floor to pandering, and frankly, that was the opposite of what he wanted.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Possibly alright? Kev tilted his head to the side, more than a little perplexed. Typically things were either 'alright' or 'not alright'. That answer mixed with Discord's strangely distant demeanor made for one puzzled alien. Discord's question only seemed to confuse him more. "Odd or supernatural...?" Kev leaned on the back of one of the armchairs, an elbow resting on the back of it to support his body. Odd or supernatural occurrences were kinda...hard to define, especially considering that Kev was a mouthless alien with telepathy and Discord was a magic mish mash of animals who came from a world where magic ponies controlled the weather and the sun and moon. What was odd for one may not be so for the other.

However, when Discord went on to clarify that the event that had happened a few months back wasn't what he was talking about, that he was asking for something more recent, Kev realized that Discord was asking about the disasters that had a habit of popping up. "Oh! Hm..." The alien's scaly brows narrowed, trying to think of anything that may be leading up to a disaster. Judge Fear had...something going on with Zs'Skayr, not necessarily end of the world-y. Otherwise, ever since the excursion in the summer, things had been pretty...quiet! Discord was waiting for an answer though, and from the expression on his face, this was an important question to ask. It had a purpose of some kind, but what? Was Discord worried about something happening? Had he seen something?

"As...far as I know, Discord? No. I haven't heard about any odd or supernatural things happening. It's been quiet, actually. Why do you ask?" The alien almost seemed hesitant to ask, because whatever the reason behind Discord asking something like that wasn't going to be a good one.

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:43 am

Kev wrote:"No."

Wrong answer… Discord was silent for several long seconds.

”Hm…” He groped behind him for the nearest chair and sat down while his mind tried to catch up. He’d hardly heard the rest of what Kev had said to him. ”I see.”

So she couldn’t have been abducted like he had… Perhaps she’d died somehow else? But how would that happen? She was much too timid to even approach anypony else let alone be a threat. Who would want to kill a little yellow and pink pony?! She was so little and shy and frankly pretty adorable with her saddlebags and her cutie mark and her little angry bunny (who, come to think of it, Discord hadn’t seen hide nor hair of either). Unless she ran into one of those accursed life-hating judges of course… Or that Hazama guy, or maybe Bun-Bun, or if her profuse apologizing got on that mage’s nerves, or one of those “demons” showed up, or-- there were too many ways she could get hurt! This world was not very pony-friendly!!!

Discord swallowed hard and returned his spacing, fearful gaze to Kev. ”Fluttershy’s gone,” he forced out, trying to keep the tears out of his eyes and the anxiety out of his stomach. ”I have a letter, it’s from her… It looks as if she wrote it in case she... something like this happens. I was hoping it was a mistake that I received it now…” He trailed off, thinking of that which he had been keeping from her. ”But, I haven’t seen her in just over two weeks. I thought that perhaps she’d gotten caught up in some disaster or died, but apparently not. She would’ve showed up by now either way.”

His voice got caught in his throat slightly as he continued. ”She said that Pinkie Pie and Rarity were here before, and that they had vanished and never came back, either,” he pointed out. After a moment of hesitation, he asked, ”What happened to them?”
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:15 am

When Discord finally felt behind himself and sat down in a chair, Kev glanced around the room for himself and plopped onto the couch. Discord did not seem exactly...thrilled by Kev's answer, but besides answering 'I see', he didn't say much else and had grown quiet. Yet Discord seemed very thoughtful, the alien could only look back at the draconequus and wait for an answer, any answer. When Discord looked back to Kev, his gaze was no longer measured and emotionless, there was real fear in them now.

Discord wrote:”Fluttershy’s gone, I have a letter, it’s from her… It looks as if she wrote it in case she... something like this happens.”

A hand grasped onto the arm of the couch, fist tightening around the fabric and wood. A noise escaped the alien's mind, not unlike a soft gasp. "W-what?" His other hand rested on his own chest lightly, suddenly aware of a familiar tightness growing in his chest and what counted as a throat. Fluttershy was gone. The kind, innocent pony who had been left behind by her two best friends. The kind pony who had helped him with his animals. A pony who had only ever been very kind, who sought him out for assistance and comfort when her friends had left. She stuck around for so long, alone, and now that she had a friend again, she had left, but why? Why would she wait for a friend to arrive only to leave them so suddenly? Fluttershy was kind, thoughtful. To do something like that was unthinkable. She had left a letter, but the letter had not been one to explain why she had left, but something in case she had left...because sometimes people disappeared and they could not help it. Fluttershy couldn't have left. She wouldn't. She had been taken.

The alien had almost missed Discord's question, eyes closing tightly as he tried to focus on how to answer. "S-sometimes...sometimes...people leave, here. They disappear, no trace. They just...leave and sometimes apparently they don't choose to do this. Some do, others don't. B-but I don't know where they go...I think...I think they go to other Gammas? Others like this one but the others are worse, terrible, this is the best we can get why would they leave to go somewhere worse? Maybe there's somewhere nice out there that Rarity and Pinkie went to, but to be honest with you Discord I don't know where it is or what it is." Why did Fluttershy have to go, and why so soon after Discord had arrived? It felt like only yesterday, they had both been in here, sipping their tea with him. "I don't know what happens to them..." Kev's eyes opened again and stared back at the draconequus, sympathetic and sad. If they had known each other more, the alien would have embraced him for having to deal with such an unpleasant discovery. Discord had lost the only friend had left from his old world.

"I am...so sorry, Discord."

((Sorry this took a bit!))

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Kev was understandably distraught. As he listened to the answer Kev had to offer, he could feel his own chest tighten as well…

Other gammas? Worse than the Breach?! The Breach was hell compared to Equestria, and now there were worse worlds out there which his sweet little vulnerable pony friend could’ve been taken to? He couldn’t even imagine what would be worse than this world; he had experienced himself what counted as a fairly regular occurrence in this place, being abducted by an unknown force in his sleep to play a “game” with a group of psychopaths and killers who were more than happy to murder their backstabbing “allies” when the whim struck them. Just the dark judges alone had the power and mentality to wipe out dozens of lives at a time without batting an eye, and they were just two individuals--others had proven themselves to be just as powerful if not more so than the judges and many had the bloodlust to match for their own reasons. Discord had even had to stoop to their level to defend himself from mindless beasts who had been driven mad by someone of immense power… He was barely better than them now.

Yes, he had been “evil” once himself, but he could hardly apply that word to himself--past or present--after that excursion. He hadn’t killed and hadn’t had any reason to kill before he had come to the Breach… and then he had been thrown into a place where he had to fight like a common animal just to survive. ”How could anywhere be worse?” he barely murmured, the lump in his throat making it feel hard to breathe let alone speak. He wanted to believe the small reassurance that maybe the ponies had gone somewhere better, but it was an impossibility that even he just couldn’t believe or make possible. He’d been here long enough to know that good things just didn’t happen, there was simply too much true evil to outweigh any purity that may be present.

The draconequus barely heard Kev’s apology. He closed his eyes, squeezing them slightly. A moment later they opened, unshed tears shining in them. He… couldn’t think of what to say… He glanced over at Kev, noticing the tension in his posture and the look in his eyes that mimicked his own.

This place sometimes changes people for better or worse, but hopefully this place will change you for the better. My life was never this lively before you showed up and no doubt will others need the same in theirs.

He really looked over at Kev now, his eyes still glistening. How did Kev manage to think of that little glimmer of hope? ”Yes… You could be right,” he said slowly, trying not to sound as broken as he felt. ”Anything’s possible; I of all people know that.” Just saying that actually almost made him feel better, even if it was only the slightest bit for just a moment. He didn’t want to change any more than was necessary to survive; since when did he accept possibility as his boss? She could be anywhere, and maybe someday she might even come back. This world wasn’t just evil, it was unpredictable and chaotic; who was to say they’d never show up again someday?

”You were a good friend to her,” he said quietly after a moment. ”Thank you for that. This world isn’t very kind to its inhabitants…”

((That's perfectly fine, no need to apologize!))
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Discord wrote:”How could anywhere be worse?”

The question was simple, and not entirely unexpected. Discord had just been told that there were worse places they could have gone to, and if this place was all Discord had as comparison...Kev supposed it could be hard to understand how anything could be worse. The way Discord had asked it though...he had mumbled it so quietly. The softness of his tone reminded him of the soft-spoken pegasus who had been their mutual friend, the alien sinking back against the couch with a sigh. How to answer...? His eyes scanned the hard wood floors. "We...we have freedom here. Not all of the Gammas give their people that...sure, that means unsavory people have freedom, but so do we. We can...we can do whatever we need to and whatever we want, within reason. In other Gammas, their Portals rule like Dictators...I've even heard of an entire Gamma being destroyed by its Portal." The Gamma War was nothing to be easily forgotten, and that experience had shown just how bad some of the Portals could be. Portal O was a control freak, a real dictator. And Portal G? A greedy, two-faced jerk who only wanted what he wanted, and didn't mind hurting others to get it.

There were so many disasters in this place, but the disasters made them stronger. Though there were tons of bad memories also earned from these experiences, at least people lived through them. Or, could come back from them, in some regrettable cases. They had freedom and opportunity here. Heck, if it wasn't for this place, Kev would never have met the interesting people he had met here, nor become the person he was today. Though there had been so much loss...so many friends gone. And even now, only more leaving. Was it worth it, getting to meet and befriend people only to lose them? Was it truly better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all? The alien glanced to the side, unsure of the answer. The only thing that snapped him out of his defeated mindset was Discord agreeing that Kev could be right.

The alien almost snapped back to an upright position, blinking over at the draconequus. "I could be right?" Right about what? The alien's eyes scanned the corners of his vision, trying to remember the last few things he had said. 'Maybe there's somewhere nice out there that Rarity and Pinkie went to...' Oh! Right, of course. "Yes, I could be right!" The alien sounded a bit more confident that time. "After all the years I've been here, Discord, I can honestly tell you that anything is possible." Both good, and bad. Frankly, admitting such to Discord made him feel better as well. Maybe Fluttershy could come back. If not the Fluttershy they both knew from Portal Breach, perhaps it could be the one who Discord had become friends with in their world. After all that time, Discord himself had arrived for Fluttershy. The same could happen for Discord!...Hopefully a bit faster...

At Discord's statement that Kev had been a good friend, the alien's gaze momentarily left Discord's and lowered itself to his own hands as he tapped his fingertips together, almost anxious. Had he though? Had he truly been a good friend? The time he had spent with her, he was sure he had been a good friend. But there could have been more time spent with her. Particularly before Discord had shown up, when she had been alone. It always felt like there could have been more time... "Thank you...you were a great friend to her as well." She looked so happy, when she brought Discord over and had pledged to be his friend. So happy... "You being here...meant a lot to her." It was just a shame it did not last. As for this place not being very kind...the alien almost laughed, though due to the mood in the room he did not. He only offered a very limp shrug. "It...it really isn't, sometimes. But...just because this place isn't very kind doesn't mean we don't have to be." The tension that had grown since Discord had come to the door had long since dissipated, now that the reason for his visit had been revealed. The new tension wasn't much better, sure, this...sadder tension, but it was better than the suspense from before.

((Thanks! I'll spare the apology this time!))

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:33 am

He hadn’t been expecting a reply to his quiet question, but had heard the answer nonetheless. He didn’t respond, but supposed that Kev did have a point; they were only captives in the same way they had been in their home worlds. He and Fluttershy were trapped in this place the same way they had been trapped in Equestria, the only difference being that here they knew how they were captives. Even if he didn’t like being abducted and taken to this unforgiving place, he had to admit that it was better to be free in this captivity than to be a prisoner or--even worse--a toy in such a place.

On a brighter note, it seemed as if his statement had made Kev feel at least slightly better as well, the reptile confirming that anything was indeed possible. Discord could actually feel the ghost of a small smile twitching the corners of his mouth up. Yes, anything was possible.

Kev wrote:"Thank you...you were a great friend to her as well. You being here...meant a lot to her."

Discord smiled, but it was strained and sad. He couldn’t help but feel a little touched by that sentiment, but even so, he felt in his gut that he hadn’t earned the right to be. He wasn’t sure he had been the best friend to her over the past few months… That little summer excursion had helped to bring out a bit of the worst in him, and though he continuously reminded himself that it had been for the best, he still had doubts, and he was still ashamed even of how he had been behaving…

Kev wrote:"It...it really isn't, sometimes. But...just because this place isn't very kind doesn't mean we don't have to be."

Discord looked away from Kev, trying and failing to occupy his gaze with the floor or the fireplace or anything else. Of course, that didn’t work out very well, especially not when he couldn’t keep himself from glancing back up at him frequently. ”…You’re right.”

The draconequus paused after those two forced words, questioning whether he was really about to admit this out loud. It wasn’t Kev’s problem, it was his. But Kev likely knew a lot more about this kind of thing than he did. Even if he didn’t, then it’d still get the truth out into the open, and although that was not an appealing idea, at least then the weight of it would get off his chest. He didn’t know if it was the stress of having such knowledge or if he was just more worked up about this entire ordeal than he wanted to be, but for whatever reason he just didn’t feel like he could take it.

”…Except, I don’t know if I’ve been the best friend to her recently…” he said, feeling odd having said it out loud. A strange thing for him to be concerned about, now that he got it out there… Was that really his concern, what this was all about?

He swallowed before continuing, unsure of what he was actually going to end up saying. ”I was unfortunately forced to take part in the aforementioned excursion.” Thoughtful pause, ”Back in my home world, you never really hear talk of death and murder is completely unheard of. There are dangers and villains, sure, but they hardly ever claim lives. So naturally you could say I was a little… put off by suddenly being kidnapped in my sleep and forced to work with a dozen lunatics to stop another psychopath who just so happened to be even worse than those I had to attempt to cooperate with.” He couldn’t even jokingly call those fond memories, and he doubted that he ever would.

”Anyway… I suppose I let that get to me, and it’s made me act… I don’t know, different. I didn’t tell Fluttershy about a lot of what happened because I thought it would be best, but now I’m not sure if that was the right decision. I was gone for a whole two weeks, I lied to her when I got back, I got cocky which ended in me getting my tail handed to me by a surprisingly powerful rabbit, and I even got a job--“ he couldn’t stop the tears that sprang to his eyes and threatened to spill down his cheeks ”--just so I could distract myself from all of that and so I could get away from her to keep her from noticing how badly I’m actually taking all of this!”

He took a breath to steady himself slightly, though his voice still wavered. ”Apologies; that was a little carried away,” he continued, once again looking away from Kev. ”She said that it’s okay to make mistakes because nopony’s perfect, but I just--“ He sighed after a failed attempt to find the right words. ”I thought I was doing the right thing.”

((And here I thought I would have to apologize to you for my unexpectedly busy week! xD))
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Discord seemed to be satisfied with Kev's explanation, and Kev was ready to let the subject of the other Gammas drop to the side for later discussions. He couldn't remember much about the other Gammas, other than that they weren't as pleasant as the Breach usually, and the alien preferred to stick with his own assumption that perhaps Fluttershy had found a nice one to live in. She was sweet, but she also seemed so fragile. The alien had never gotten to see her in a fight, so he couldn't help but think that if she were in a...not so ideal place to live, she'd be easy pickings. Mmm but that wasn't the way to think right now, and just look! Discord was smiling! That was a score, right? He'd made a sad Discord smile~! Though the look soon changed, Discord seemed to try not to look at Kev, apparently failing because the alien could still see Discord's yellow and red eyes as clear as day. The draconequus admitted to Kev being right, and though the words had stopped, it seemed that wasn't all Discord had to say. There was just something about his body language, as if he was trying to figure out what to say.

Discord wrote:”…Except, I don’t know if I’ve been the best friend to her recently…”

...Huh. Kev himself had just been thinking that a moment ago! Though, why would Discord think that? He had been there for her, the past few months, living with her. Surely, everything was just sprouting up sunshine and roses at Fluttershy's cottage, before she disappeared? A little curious, the alien leaned forward in his chair as Discord explained. "Ooh, I didn't know you had been taken for that too...I had uh...heard some of the things that had gone on when you all had been taken." None of it sounded especially fun...even moreso when you came from a world like Discord and Fluttershy's. It sounded like a rather innocent world, so the things that had taken place during that summer excursion, as Discord called it...it was a stark difference. Stark enough that Discord said he had been acting stranger than normal. "Different how?" He'd decided not to tell Fluttershy what had happened, lied to her when he had returned from being kidnapped, got cocky and had his butt handed to him by a rabbit...? The alien suddenly blinked with realization as he remembered Bun-Bun bragging about fighting Discord. Huh...Bun-Bun hadn't been around so much recently, had he...? Another wave of melancholy washed over him, but he ignored it to focus on Discord. Discord had gotten a job in order to distract himself as well, Kev giving him a nod of support. "Jobs are usually very good for that." Discord seemed to be really upset though, even tearing up!

"It's alright, Discord. It feels better to get that out now, right?" The alien reassured before straightening up in his chair. "It's not just making mistakes, sometimes things happen and it can sort of...through you out of balance. And I'd say getting kidnapped and...all the other stuff that happened on that adventure, would put you out of balance. If it helps, you're not the only one who hasn't been...taking that thing very well." Nym had changed so much, physically and mentally. "You aren't alone. Getting cocky and stuff, it might be a bit problematic, but friends understand when you are just...out of sync, for a while. It might have been better to tell her what happened, so she could understand too, but that's in the past. " The Kryptonistanian paused thoughtfully before continuing. "What about the summer excursion do you think has gotten to you the most?"

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Kev wrote:"Ooh, I didn't know you had been taken for that too...I had uh...heard some of the things that had gone on when you all had been taken."

Discord couldn’t say he was surprised by that; their group had started twenty-strong and they had still been left with a dozen by the mid-point of their journey, so the odds of Kev knowing either someone who had been abducted or someone who knew someone who had been abducted were at least decent.

However, he also couldn’t determine whether he saw this as a cause for relief or alarm… He couldn’t help but bristle at the thought of being unable to defend himself from any malicious rumors which could’ve made their way to Kev. Strange, seeing as he had never cared about something so trivial as gossip before. Perhaps he simply couldn’t see the appeal in having his reputation manhandled by corrupt judges, demons, and whatever else? In any case, he hadn’t taken much time to explore where that thought train may have led him; his mouth was too busy running away.

Kev wrote:"It's alright, Discord. It feels better to get that out now, right? It's not just making mistakes, sometimes things happen and it can sort of...through you out of balance. And I'd say getting kidnapped and...all the other stuff that happened on that adventure, would put you out of balance. If it helps, you're not the only one who hasn't been...taking that thing very well. You aren't alone. Getting cocky and stuff, it might be a bit problematic, but friends understand when you are just...out of sync, for a while. It might have been better to tell her what happened, so she could understand too, but that's in the past.”

He was… kind of surprised by Kev’s response to his shameless venting. As a result, Kev earned his complete attention the moment he started speaking.

…Had he been in a better mood, he may have found himself in mocking need of writing a letter to Princess Celestia. Right now, the thought didn’t even cross his mind. He instead thought back to the events since he had returned home; Fluttershy must’ve known that he wasn’t telling her everything, she wasn’t stupid. He could recall a few looks he had received from her. She most certainly must’ve suspected that at the very least, she knew how this world was, and she probably had guessed at some point that the happy ending he had tried to sell wasn’t the truth because things like that just didn’t happen here. And knowing himself, he didn’t really do subtle, or at least not very well…

Yes, she most certainly would’ve figured it out. But if that was the case, she had never said anything. She had never pushed him, not once. She just put up with him and let him stay locked away in his comfort zone.

…He didn’t really know how to respond to that. Once again, Fluttershy’s heart had stunned him. He wasn’t sure what to say to Kev, either; what little he had seen of the reptile made him and Fluttershy appear to be soul mates, what with those rare levels of compassion they had. Consequently, he didn’t interrupt the silence that Kev created when he paused to think.

Kev wrote:"What about the summer excursion do you think has gotten to you the most?"

Discord blinked in surprise. ”Why do you…?” he trailed off, unsure whether he had been about to ask why Kev was asking or why he even cared. Although the question had caught him off guard, however, he did give it some thought.

”I… I suppose it was…” He certainly knew what he wanted to say, and it was quite obvious in his expression that he was conflicted, though whether it was over how to say what he was thinking or if he even dared was anypony’s guess.

You would think that it would be the little fact that he had friggin’ died, but you’d be wrong. That was a close second. No, he was far more concerned about something that he had always considered taboo, and frankly, that sense of condemnation was what kept him from speaking now. Obviously in a world dominantly occupied by psychopaths where death wasn’t permanent the subject was not nearly so taboo, so perhaps Kev wouldn’t find it nearly as offensive as Fluttershy most certainly would have…? Of course, Kev was still one of the good guys as far as he knew, so it was likely that he would still at least frown upon his admittance. Of course, he couldn’t just opt out of speaking, that would be impolite. And, as much as he hated to admit it, he most certainly wasn’t getting anywhere on the just-get-over-it-and-move-on front alone… Kev seemed to be speaking with a purpose, unless he was just asking to pry. That, of course, didn’t seem like something he would just do for the laughs.

Oh, what the hell; live and learn. ”Remember what I said about the whole ‘death is unheard of’ thing back in my home world?” he finally said, his next words seeming forced. ”Well, obviously that means that I couldn’t just tell Fluttershy about how I had to kill quite a few beasts in order to stay alive, only for it to all be in vain in the end… I suppose that’s what’s been haunting me the most.” And now he felt oddly vulnerable.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Kev's head tilted at Discord's unfinished question. 'Why does he' what? Discord never completed his question, instead settling into a more thoughtful expression, and Kev was content to drop it. The lanky creature was definitely putting some thought into his answer, no doubt sifting through his experience and trying to cherry pick the most problematic element. Kev really had not heard anything that mentioned Discord, mostly he had just heard about Nym's death, Livewire's death, Sonia becoming a queen...things like that. It was still a very odd circumstance, and it made him wonder what would have happened if he had been involved. It wasn't every day that a whole group of people were up and kidnapped like that, only to reappear a week or two later. Even in Kev's own eventful history on the Breach, he'd never run into something like that, people being whisked away to a new world or...whatever that was.

Discord began to speak again, having apparently settled on something as being what had bothered him the most about the entire adventure. When prompted about the 'death being unheard of' aspect of Discord and Fluttershy's home world Kev nodded to show he was paying attention. Yep, he definitely remembered that. A place where murder was unheard of...even on Kev's planet, there had been murder. It seems that Discord most wanted to keep Fluttershy from finding out that he'd had to kill several beasts in order to live, only for it all to be in vain. The alien seemed taken aback for a moment, before dipping his head in another nod. "I can see why that'd be hard to tell Fluttershy." That little pony loved animals! Kev did too, owls and bears aside. Kev was willing to defend himself if he had to, though. It was a sad idea, but if an animal was trying to kill him, he'd kill it. Fluttershy...she'd probably try to reason with it or try to help it out before she'd ever hurt an animal.

"Sometimes when this type of thing happens, you end up doing things you regret. I'm sorry you had to kill to survive, only for it to not work out. I wish I could say that's the last time you'll have to do that...but it probably won't be. The best consolation I can give you is that no one's going to think you're a murderer. At least, I certainly don't. It's self defense, after all." It did interest Kev that despite using his powers for evil, once upon a time, Discord had never used them to kill anyone. Of course, killing people wasn't the worst thing you could do to someone, but it still spoke volumes about Discord even before he was redeemed.

"I asked for that specifically...because usually when these things happen there's one thing in specific that bothers people. A lot of things go wrong at once but...there's usually one thing that is the largest issue, for different people. It's good to realize what these things are, address them, and try to move on." Even with such comforting words, the alien couldn't help a slight wince. Some things could be really hard to address, and he supposed 'first kills' could be one of them. Kev himself didn't really remember the first time he killed, things started to run together. Especially since a lot of the events he'd been here for in the beginning of his time here, involved beating down minor things or creatures. It all began to run together. "How are you feeling now? If you want, I could get you something to drink."

Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:35 am

”Thank you,” Discord murmured in response to Kev’s reassurance. It was rather comforting, in fact, to know that at least Kev would be on his side even if nopony else was. As for history repeating itself… He expected that. As much as he didn’t want to admit it to himself, he knew somewhere that violent self-defense would be necessary to keep breathing in a world like this. He had come back to life even after everything that had happened, and that meant that the less favorable company he had thought dead would revive as well if they hadn’t already. They were still out there, and, as was proven by the way the others had turned on Crowley, were willing to turn on and kill those they didn’t particularly like. (And everyone else as well, in the judges’ case at least.)

So that had been Kev’s goal… Discord merely nodded in response, pondering silently over that reasoning. He supposed that he did feel a little better having gotten that off his chest and with Kev’s reassurances. That didn’t mean that he wasn’t still bothered by having killed--Kev may not seemed bothered by the body count he had resting on his shoulders, but he apparently had higher standards for himself, even if the world around him forced him to disregard those values from time to time in the interest of continued life--but the sensation of himself being eaten by the burden of that knowledge from the inside had backed off quite a bit.

Discord glanced up at Kev once again, distracted from his pondering by Kev’s hospitality. ”Hm…? Oh, yes, better. And if it’s not too much trouble, that’d be very kind of you,” he replied. And while he was being oh so polite and courteous…

”Thank you, by the way, for all this. I know it was sudden and the last thing you need after a long day at work is somepony dumping their feelings and personal tragedies all over you… I am truly grateful, though. I suppose I did need to get that off of my chest, and you’ve been very helpful, so thanks for that.” Now, if only they could change the subject to something less one-sided…

”On an unrelated note, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask somepony but haven’t yet come across the opportunity,” he continued after a moment of thought, raising his voice only if necessary to be heard, ”What other sorts of magic does this place have? Back home there were unicorns who could cast various spells and levitate objects and whatnot, pegasi who could manufacture the weather and move clouds, the Elements of Harmony, little old me, and all sorts of strange creatures, but there seems to be an even bigger variety here. Telepathy, for example! That’s a new one that I hadn’t yet come across before I met you and then those judges. Flight without wings is another newbie.” Nothing like a little small-talk to avoid those more unfavorable matters, eh? ”I honestly can’t form any more expectations about this place, it’s simply impossible.”

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:03 am