Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

What other help could you want?

Post by Discord on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Time: Around 3 pm
    Date: September 23rd, 2014

The lights are much brighter there,
    You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares~

The solid gold theme song was a much better alternative to all the other noise in Discord’s head right now. He was once again strolling along downtown, those lyrics fitting him rather snugly right about now.

He needed something to do. Something better than organizing the mantle repeatedly, anyway. When your boredom leads you to accidentally poison both yourself and your friend with a plant that pranks anypony who comes into contact with it, you need something more productive to do with your time. Thankfully the effects had long since worn off; Fluttershy’s comically deepened and gender-bent voice had returned to normal and, more importantly, Discord wasn’t stuck on all fours without the ability to speak anymore. That had been dreadful…

His communication skills were restored, and he needed to put them to good use.

He had been wandering Portal City originally in the hopes of perhaps bumping into someone interesting, but now as he wandered through the business district, a completely different thought cut through his internal background music.

He had been living off of Fluttershy ever since he had gotten here. He could look in shop windows all he wanted, but had no source of income. The realization made him suddenly stop in his tracks in the middle of the sidewalk, much to the irritation of some of those around him who had to go around the draconequus. Naturally that one thought had disturbed him; his chaos was a form of complete freedom, and yet he allowed himself to be pinned down and restricted from getting what he liked by silly price tags! Forget the boredom and how overcome he was with traumatizing visions from that one week, this was serious! How had he never seen it before now?!

He could’ve just stolen what he liked, but Fluttershy would definitely object to that… He couldn’t have that. There were various other reasons of course, but no time to properly write them all out; a storefront had caught the draconequus’s attention, and he eagerly flew over the street to it.

Njorth’s Nookery… Oh the wonders of alliteration. Discord walked in the door, bending his neck to avoid hitting his head on the ceiling, and looked around casually at the interior. Hm, potions. He knew about magic, maybe there was something he could do for… well, presumably that Njorth character, whoever he was. Preferably in exchange for currency, that would be nice. There didn’t seem to be anyone here at the moment, however, or at least not at the front desk. Discord dinged the bell on the counter and stood waiting patiently to see who would answer.

Well, in his head he stood patiently, anyway… Whoever came to see what all the noise was about would find the draconequus playing with the bell, dinging it repeatedly and beaming at the small silver object with a grin that was half-childish half-manic. Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

Just one ding was never enough, was it?
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 12

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Re: What other help could you want?

Post by Njorth on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Ah, technology. It was such a wonderful thing. With a bit of fiddling with the microwave in his kitchen, Njorth eventually discovered the timer. This timer was practically a godsend. No longer would he have to estimate when his potions needed attention! Just a simple beep, and he would know when it was done. That's why the Nord was upstairs. Just a moment ago, said timer had alerted him that it was time to turn off the burner on his current potion. With the burner off, all that was left to do was wait for it to cool off so he could bottle it up. The deep blue coloration of the fluid inside indicated that the brewing was a success. He had created a potion of resist magic, a type of potion that he was considering stocking his shop with. Amazing how its key ingredients were just lavender and a chicken's egg.

It was then that he heard several dings coming from downstairs. Whoever was in the shop was clearly having fun with that bell. With his potion finished, it wasn't long before he was able to make his way down the stairs and meet this patron. To say that he was unusual would be an understatement. He appeared to be a strange amalgamation of several different creatures.

"Can I help you?" Njorth asked.
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 30

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:10 pm

??? wrote:"Can I help you?"

Discord abruptly stopped playing with the bell and looked up at the man who had entered the room. He quickly righted his posture (as much as was possible in these quarters without banging his head on the ceiling, of course) and cleared his throat. ”Yes, I do believe you can.”

This is the part where Discord stated his request. Well, it would’ve been anyway; this was also the exact part where he realized that he hadn’t thought his plan through enough to realize that he had never asked for a job before and had never really had a job before, and therefore had no idea how to ask for nor go about getting one. The brief moment of silence in which he pondered this seemed rather awkward to him... He caught himself wondering what Fluttershy would do here, but even as an image of the timid pony appeared in his mind’s eye, he knew that being a doormat probably wasn’t the way to go.

Discord-style would mean rather forcefully and mischievously “persuading” the man before him to do what he liked. Probably not the best idea at the moment, however, considering that he didn’t have the power to do that at the moment nor did he have the patience. Those particular methods would likely cause some problems down the road anyway… What happened when he needed to right things again? Ordering himself around with a puppet would get boring eventually, not to mention exhausting and even counterproductive, and then afterwards he’d surely be fired for that the moment he released his captive boss. No, that won’t do at all…

It was a good fifteen seconds before Discord sighed inwardly. ”I was wondering if you needed any aid with the general upkeep of your fine establishment,” he stated, gesturing to the building around them with a briefly roaming gaze. ”Preferably for a small payment,” he added as his eyes returned to the scruffy man. Surely that was worthy of a participation trophy? If not then at least some stale dog treats.
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:06 pm

There was a moment of awkward silence before the patron before he delivered his request. It would seem that he was looking to possibly get a job in Njorth's shop. The Nord thought for a moment, stroking his beard. For a moment, his attention had drifted to all of his notes that were scattered about on the counter. Yes, there was something this patron could do for him.

"While I'm not exactly looking for assistance in shop, there is one thing you might be able to help me with," he responded, gathering up the notes. "You see these? These are notes that I've taken and maps that I've made whilst scouting the wilderness, places like the forest and the mountains. This is the reason that my shop is closed on the weekends. I spend them gathering ingredients for my potions."

He paused for a moment.

"Now, things like eggs and honeycombs, those I can simply find in stores. Other things have to be found in the wild. As such, despite my days off, I have little time for recreation. If it interests you, I would be more than willing to pay you to gather these wild ingredients for me."
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Discord’s expression betrayed his curiosity as he eyed the notes that the man drew out into the open. He browsed the list as he listened to the man; yes, he thought, these were definitely maps. And whatayaknow, he could see his house from here. Well, the general area it was in, anyway.

Aid in gathering ingredients, huh? ”I see.” Discord glanced up at the man as he continued speaking. Hm… He could do that, couldn’t he? He hadn’t been paying special attention to plants, but he did know his way around the forest after doing nothing but wander about it for months now. Besides, if all else failed then he could always ask the animals. The animals may even know of herbs and places that weren’t on these maps.

Discord looked over the maps of the mountains one last time before nodding once. ”I could help,” the draconequus said finally. ”I actually know my way around the Kindle Forest, seeing as I live there, and I suppose I could learn my way around the mountains as well. So long as I knew what to be looking for, just tell me when and I’d be able to find you your ingredients.”

Well, that wasn’t too painful… Or difficult. He’d go out into the wild, find this guy his ingredients, and be paid in return. Not a bad deal at all; it’d give him something to do, a way to get out of the house, money, and something to take his mind off of that one week… He wouldn’t have to rearrange the mantle anymore!

”I’m Discord, by the way,” he added as an afterthought. If they were going to be partners of some description, then they ought to call each other something besides “weird magical dragon snake thing” and “hairy magic juice maker man.” He even offered the man his paw to shake; how courteous of him! A proper gentlecolt making a business agreement.
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Discord, hm? What an unusual name this patron had. Njorth couldn't help but wounder where exactly he got his name, but for the time being, he would refrain from asking. It would seem that the amalgamation was more than interested in taking him up on his offer. This was good, very good.

"Then consider yourself hired," the Nord replied. "I'll tell you what: The store opens every day at nine in the morning, except for the weekends. You already know that it's closed on the weekends. Every work day at opening time, you can come in, and I'll fill you in on the items I need. When you come back with them, I'll pay you. How does that sound?"
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:55 pm

New Boss wrote:"Then consider yourself hired."

Discord withdrew his paw and offered a pleasant grin of sorts. ”Excellent!” And the hours were agreeable as well; he’d get out of the house and away from Fluttershy, and then go out and collect whatever ingredients were needed. He could probably borrow a bag from his pony friend, he figured. Plus, he’d get paid for his efforts. So many wins for every side; Fluttershy wouldn’t have to support a freeloader, Discord would no longer be restricted by morals and price tags, and Mr. Boss would get his ingredients for his potions.

”That sounds fabulous,” the draconequus replied cordially. ”I’m assuming I begin tomorrow, am I correct?”
    Njorth
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Post by Njorth on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Discord wrote:”I’m assuming I begin tomorrow, am I correct?”

"Sure thing. If that's what you want, I have no problem with letting you start tomorrow." Njorth couldn't help but smile at the enthusiasm of his new employee. It was a thing to be admired, that was for sure. The Nord wondered idly if now was the appropriate time to go back upstairs and check on the potion he was making. Odds are, it was sufficiently cooled. Before he did go check on it, though...

"Do you have any questions about the job? Perhaps I could pass along some tips? I do have a map drawn out with things that I've already found."  
    Discord
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    350/350  (350/350)
    Stamina Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)

Post by Discord on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 am

Excellent! Discord could see that this would work out wonderfully. Wouldn’t Fluttershy be proud when he told her… Of course, she wouldn’t know his underlying motivations unless she managed to figure them out for herself, but that wasn’t of any importance. Somepony like Fluttershy would be proud of him just based on principle alone, even if she would be a little disappointed about not getting to see him as much. It wasn’t like he was completely abandoning her, was it? No, she would still see him, they were still friends, nothing would really change. He’d just be getting the space he needed as well as the activity he desperately craved to keep his sanity as whole as it tended to be.

Boss wrote:"Do you have any questions about the job? Perhaps I could pass along some tips? I do have a map drawn out with things that I've already found."

”That would be much appreciated, thank you.” He’d receive some helpful hints and tips about how to get started from this man, he could remember where he might’ve seen some of the ingredients in passing once he knew what to be on the lookout for, and the local wildlife could be asked for directions if worse came to worse.

((Sorry about the long wait for such a short post, Life tied me up in the basement again.))

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm