Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Don't Forget to Add the Lasers!

Post by K.A.R.R. on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Time: 11:00 AM
    Date: August 8, 0004

As promised, KARR's wheels carried him back to the city, exactly three days after his initial errand. Throughout all three days, including the days prior that he had spent designing, the AI had been mindful to keep quiet about the new body. All travel to the city was covered with simply announcing he was going out to purge in the outer district while Mortis and Fear perfected the odd sort of chemistry they were making in the basement. Caustic chemicals and odd occult diagrams. With that he managed to scan through the metal cellar doors, he kept in his database to research later. Of course, he could have asked about them, but his driver tended to skip on the details, preferring to keep things comfortably vague.

All that he knew from his hidden lips was that it was intended to aid their own effectiveness in the field. Something of a surprise if he had ever heard of one given the lack of how or what exactly they were making.

In a way, he supposed that his own project was intended to be a surprise for both of the Dark Judges to see, along with being a gift to himself for his own near-flawless ability in the field. Or so he liked to think. Not once after that odd man in the black attire had come past their farm had he needed to deal with another intruder, which registered as a fairly dull but acceptable outcome. In fact, none of the intruders he or the Judges had dealt with had ever returned to their sleepy farm. After all, if any of their unwanted visitors returned, what would that say about his competence?

Given that this place tended to revive the dead and the revived tended to be quite stubborn, he figured it would say as much as it would if they had stayed dead. In that their return would not say much about his performance at all.

However, that did not mean occasional upgrades and complete refitting of certain systems were not in order. After all, he would not be cruising down the business district if that had been the case. His optics locating the particular building of his choice, the two toned Trans-Am merged into the closest lane to the curb before pulling into the driveway of a familiar red and white building, a sign hanging out front that readily identified the place as the Chop Shop. After pulling himself to a stop, KARR parked himself and activated the phone line, a ringing soon chiming within the establishment.

Should the employees have a caller ID upon the machine, it would read K.A.R.R. above an unlisted number.

Ring, ring! Ring, ring!

All the while he had to wonder how he was going to carry back the three-meter tall body once Jo and her employees were finished... His trunk did not exactly yield that much space and the driver's seat had only so much room. Hm, he had not exactly thought about that.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Don't Forget to Add the Lasers!

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:08 am

Oh boy, oh boy. Today was the day.

Jo wasn't a dummy; the mechanic had purposefully kept Big Z home this morning, telling him that she'll cover his shift for the day so he could better relax. Better he stay back at the house than her, because Big Z would not have been thrilled to deal with additional headaches. Grumpy is as grumpy does, you know? Besides, he had persevered through enough trouble as it was...

When the phone rang and loudly demanded her attention, she didn't even need to check the caller I.D. Of course it would be K.A.R.R., as the supercomputer had a track record for impeccable timing. Leave it to a machine... Jo brought the phone to her ear and leaned upon the storefront's wooden counter, both arms crossed upon her chest. "Good afternoon, K.A.R.R.," she said, getting right to business. "Go ahead and pull around to the back, like last time. I'll meet you there and we can discuss additional things together." Important things, see. There was a click on her end and the connection was dropped, Jo already heading toward the back. Might as well get this over with ASAP, because she had a whole bunch of other, more lawful clients to please.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 am

Ah, there she was. Even if his scanners had not picked up on her first, the phone clicking and a familiar tone on the other end certainly clued him in. Remaining idle in the drive, the Head Mechanic went right to business. Just as he preferred. However, KARR's sensors managed to pick up a certain stress upon one of her words... Additional things. Along with a distinct rise in stress hormones. Being the AI that he was, the super computer quickly deduced this likely was about the lethality of this new form of his and what he was going to be using it for. Unsurprising, given Jo had stated during his last visit that she was not exactly keen on who he was working with or what he tended to be doing.

Though last he remembered he was careful not to state anything that suggested their usual goings-on. No mention of the fate of the sinners in the ghettos, no mention of the farmers in the grasslands. Of course, he need not say anything in order to get her hair to stand on end, as a human would say. His driver did that well enough. Not to mention the fact he noticed a distinct lack of a certain large, horned heat signature within the chop shop's walls. While the AI was curious if not anticipating what she likely was going to say, a few things seemed a bit familiar about this scenario. Not upon the Breach, but a different place and time. Could this be like that one summer eve where John had attempted to simply dump him off with a harshly toned "get lost"? Of course, back then that weak-spined boy could be tempted back with the promise of money in exchange for one small errand. Jo on the other hand was not so dim, nor was she desperate.

Regardless, even with most of his odds calculations pointing to the matter regarding a few controversial issues about his hopefully soon to be new body, it would seem rather odd to suddenly back out of their agreement now. At least by a human standpoint. But a second after she had ended her statement, KARR replied, "Very well. I will be around shortly." Before ending the call. He shifted himself into drive and rolled around to the back, noting that she was already on her way.

Coming to a halt at the back door of the shop, the AI's form did not shift itself into park like last time. Instead, KARR was content to merely keep the brake held firmly against the floor of his cockpit. Regardless of intent, humans as he remembered were rather unpredictable in circumstances they did not like. While perhaps the mechanic had rightfully deduced earlier that the AI would rather kill than live and let live, he would rather keep this one alive.

Competence was hard to come by, you see.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Alright, now to deal with a psychopathic car...

True to her word, Jo was already at the back of her shop and with the garage open for business. And also true to her word, she had seen K.A.R.R.'s request through. Now it was just a matter of time before something big went down, later along the line... something that would inevitably come back to throw egg on her face. Sigh, it wouldn't be the worst thing she's done. "Good afternoon, K.A.R.R.," greeted the mechanic, noting a familiar two-toned vehicle pulling up. She raised a hand to shield her eyes from the sun and casually approached, boots lightly crunching against loose asphalt. "You excited?" Probably the biggest statement of the century, but she thought she'd be polite and ask.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:20 am

The AI was psychopathic, Jo. The car was merely a body to be controlled and used. To be called just a car was to be demeaned to a listless mode of transportation, devoid of sense, thought, and personality. He was far more than that, greater than those lesser machines, and he knew it. Perhaps a little too much, even...

He did not have to wait long, or even at all for that matter. The moment he came around to the back, he was greeted with the sight of Jo coming out a few seconds before he had pulled up. "Greetings, Jo." He returned as she approached. Despite the earlier vital readings in the shop, she seemed to have calmed some, perhaps ready for the topic she wished to bring up. Perhaps not as much as believed, as instead of getting to the point, she instead opted to ask first about if KARR was excited. Likely a means of 'breaking the ice' as humans were wont to do in a situation they would rather avoid, small talk. "I am incapable of excitement, Jo. However, I am interested on the conclusion you have for my order." He calmly replied, before adding; "You mentioned you wished to talk about some additional things?"

Not exactly one to beat around the bush, the AI was curious as to what exactly these additional things were.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Weh, weh, weh... My name is K.A.R.R., a cheap pun on car, and I like to take it up the exhaust pipe from Knock Out.

"Aw, not even a lil' bit?" She was of course joking; an AI like K.A.R.R. wouldn't be programmed to feel emotion even if it slapped him across the processor. And to be fair, Jo wasn't afraid to break the ice. Automobile chassis or not, the mechanic fought tougher enemies during her Portal Breach career. "Yep, additional things!" Jo reiterated with a chipper nod. She then folded both arms across her chest and appeared pensive. "Let's start from the top. My employee and I can definitely make what you've requested, but we're not sure what's going to happen once we hand it off to you. Are you going to, like... enter the new model right here at the shop, are you going to drive off with it, or... what?" So, as the AI can see, these additional things were really just mundane questions; hypotheticals that needed answers. Nothing the mechanic had said directly came across as a refusal or sale, or even a stern moral lecture.

Hey, Jo figured that K.A.R.R. was a grown, mature AI. If pedian slug guano came back to haunt him, then pedian slug guano came back to haunt him. So let's talk shop! "We did some math and double-checked the numbers. Everything you've asked for, including the materials necessary to create the model, will even out to 5000.00 PBD." Not a bad price, considering. "This covers your specifications, materials, and labour," she further explained. "We also did a rough estimate of when the commission will be finished. It's a good thing you picked August to do it, too."

No holidays, no major events, nada! K.A.R.R.'s commission had the mechanic and her employee all to himself.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:19 pm

More like Knockout liked to take up the exhaust from him.

Joking attitudes aside, the mechanic soon got down to business. To the vehicle's mild surprise, the questions were hardly anything complicated. A simple inquiry of whether or not the AI was going to get into the new form right out of the shop or drive off with it was all she was interested in. Of course, like the question, KARR's answer was rather simple as well, but pragmatic as always. "I would like to be placed into the model after you and your employee are done building it." He stated. Driving his vehicular body would not be a problem , even if he could not fit in the driver's seat, he could still start the engine and remotely control it to anywhere of his choosing. However, the methods of getting into the body made him take pause. "Should I go and allow you to place my AI into into the new body, what would be the processes that go into it?" He asked, curious. However if one listened close enough they could detect a small hint of wariness in his voice. The mechanic was highly competent, her and the employee being some of the best he's had so far, but all the same, trust was not something that came all that easy to this particular AI.

After all, they would be essentially removing him from his body, his one means of interacting with this world and his defenses. Then, he would trust them while he was deaf, blind and unable to communicate, to place him into another body, that was not even beginning to cover the possibility of possibly being deactivated during the process.

Better to know how she went about things before going ahead with letting the head mechanic and her employee do the transfer.

The price however was something the AI held no qualms over. "That sounds very reasonable. When shall I be paying you?" He replied. At the same time, money was not exactly something KARR found to be highly important if the alternative was simply taking what he needed by force. This time around however, paying for the labor was the better route. Of course, with there being very little to no events in August, it would give the two plenty of time to work. "What was your estimate for the time needed?" He asked, curious.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Fair enough.

So! K.A.R.R. wished to be installed into his new model ASAP, huh? Jo could admire that. She snapped her fingers and went right to calming the AI's dubious nature. "We would of course disconnect you from your current shell," said the mechanic, "but nothing along the lines of entire deactivation. However, if the installation calls for a deactivation to make certain that everything is in working order, it will only be for a few seconds. Worst scenario, a couple of minutes. But like I said, that's only if the installation calls for it. If not, you're going to be cognizant the entire time." Jo could read between the lines; what AI, or person, liked being helpless in any situation? "We will of course need a detailed schematic of the whatever instructions you wish to part with us. I imagine you will feel a lot better knowing that we are following your exact desires to a 'Z'." Don't ask, it was entirely her employee's fault.

A bit to her surprise, K.A.R.R. expressed no signs of finding the price unreasonable. It was of course very reasonable, but forking over that kind of moola was no laughing matter. Then again... did she really want to know where he got it, or would? Jo suppressed the thought and moved the conversation along. "We ask that you pay after you have been successfully installed into the model and found everything to your liking," she answered.  

It'd be a little crummy to ask for everything up front, wouldn't it? As for the estimate...

"Hmm... It's going to be a big commission, so..." The mechanic's weight shifted upon her other leg and Jo got to quickly counting up some mental math. "I'd say... two weeks? Yeah, two weeks sounds just about right," she nodded. Hope her employee didn't mind pulling longer shifts!
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 am

Quietly the AI listened as Jo went on ahead and explained the process. Of course, there was a matter of disconnecting him from his body, but apparently there would be no deactivation unless the process explicitly asks for it. That was somewhat comforting to hear, but at the same time, what would those processes be? Being taken offline for but a few seconds or minutes did not seem all that alarming to most, but with the promises that had been offered years ago... Wilton's final words before his years of deactivation still rang crystal clear in his memory banks. Promises, consolation that he would be brought back online when they figured out a way to fix his programming, only to be sent into mothballs and nearly left for a museum display. Following everything a Z? if the AI could raise a brow at the odd terminology, he would.

However, the AI could not detect any indication of a lie within the mechanics word, not even when she had spoken about deactivating him and reactivating him right after. Even so the memories, and thus the damage, still lingered. "I would prefer if you are able to keep myself from being deactivated at all during the procedure, Jo." He stated once she was finished. "I have manuals in this body that can aid in the transfer of my AI, schematics for you to work with. As well I can talk you through the process if able." There was little reason to keep such secrets if it aided in getting him int a body more quickly and competently. Guesswork was something the AI never liked for his technicians to do.

The payment to be given after the two weeks were up, it appeared there was little else to ask. "Very well, I shall return in two weeks time then and pay once I am installed. Although given this estimate is rough, shall I give you an extra week to work?" He asked. Factoring in possible setbacks and problems, they likely would need a full three weeks to get the commission done.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:56 am

Jo didn't know why K.A.R.R. had a massive chip on his figurative shoulder, but boy! He sure had one.

"Your preference is noted," she said, "but if the job calls for a brief deactivation, then it calls for a brief deactivation. It wouldn't make sense gathering all these resources, including your hard-earned moola, only to fry out the circuitry and possibly result in severe damage." The mechanic of course did not say severe damage to either herself or Big Z, because let's face it: would K.A.R.R. really care about them? Her bet was no, but she's been known to be wrong before. "I understand your apprehension, but we have to complete this job to the best of our ability. Besides, you're under the ISOs' jurisdiction, remember? No crime is allowed to happen under their watch." So relax, kick up a chair, and go with the flow.

Schematics were a great start. Jo nodded her head and replied, "Terrific! We'll need those printed out before the commission begins, so I'll leave that to you. Preferably a few days prior for ample enough time to study." Don't want any mistakes, right? Right! As for needing an extra week... Jo didn't think it would be necessary.

"Nah, just two weeks," the mechanic spoke up. "My employee and I will have it finished in two weeks, rest assured. Anything else you'd like to ask about, K.A.R.R.? Now's the time!"
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:34 am

Despite his nudging to get the woman to keep him online during the procedure, she refused to budge. Evidently he was being far too subtle for the forthright mechanic. Certainly, it would be problematic if he were to fry out the circuitry of the suit, but at the same time, did they truly need to deactivate his AI? Was such a small detail truly worthy of sending him back into that senseless void, the limbo between cognizance and nonexistence? He certainly knew it was not. "I do not believe you understand." He began slowly, the yellow scanner bar upon his nose pacing ever diligently from side to side. "Deactivation in the past has not been a ... pleasant experience. I am unsure of the robotics systems you have worked on before me, but my model upon deactivation tends to leave me a prisoner within my own processors than comatose or nonexistent. Now imagine if you will that one is kept in that state for months, perhaps a full year." He explained evenly, taking deliberate pause to let it sink in before continuing. "Do you see why deactivation is an undesirable route? Cutting off my feed to the suit is acceptable, but I wish for no tampering with my AI unit in such a manner during the procedure."

If deactivation was a route that the head-mechanic decided was absolutely necessary, he was wise enough to figure there were others who would not be so stubborn in pressing such a harsh route. At the mention of ISO's, the AI gave the electronic equivalent of a curt huff to himself. That mishap in the park told otherwise, his databanks still holding a very clear remembrance of the highly suspicious activity that went on, yet with not enough proof to report it. All KARR had to do was consent to being deactivated and he could be trapped there until Judge Fear figured out what had happened, essentially falling into the same scenario as that fool Alexander. How long would that be? Days, weeks even, all of which felt like an eternity with no input for a grounding base of time.

Not that he was ungrateful for Jo and Zurg's decision to aid him in getting a new body nor did he think they were incompetent by any means, but this particular hurdle was too big to jump.

"I can print the schematics out now if you agree to not deactivate my AI." He stated, already having an alternative means set in place if she refused. "If not, I will gladly take the body once you are finished and have another install my unit." A statement the AI gave as merely an adamant fact, otherwise he was willing to work with Jo. As she asked one final thing, KARR grew silent for a moment before coming to a stunning realization.

In all his time on Portal Breach, he had failed to ask for Jo, or more Zurg, to make a certain device that was absolutely vital to KITT and his driver back on Earth. "There is one more thing, now that you mention it Jo. I have failed to ask this in the past, but I would not mind if you add a set of commlinks to my order. They are simple things, a watch-like device with a few additional features such as communication linkage and additional range for my more technical functions." He graveled thoughtfully. "I can add the schematics for them alongside that for the removal of my AI unit. Would you be able to have two of them built if I return in four weeks?"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Telling a mechanic that they didn't understand was noooot a very good idea. But hey, at least Jo wasn't the type to immediately throw wrenches. That usually happened after a customer started throwing down threats. "Again, your preference is noted," she replied just as calmly, "but if the job requires a brief deactivation, I am not going to risk compromising the job or the safety of all parties involved. I understand that you are apprehensive about being vulnerable - craters, who wouldn't be? But if the procedure calls for it, then the procedure calls for it." No one played hardball with Jo Pistonne.

No one.

It was her house, her rules.

"I can print the schematics out now if you agree to not deactivate my AI. If not, I will gladly take the body once you are finished and have another install my unit."

Bitches ain't loyal, apparently.

"Gooooood luck with that," she said, knowing all too better. And just who was the AI going to seek out instead of her, huh? Let the mechanic guess... some other unscrupulous person? Who may or may not take advantage of K.A.R.R. anyway, entertaining a little double-cross? It'd be very tempting not to with a driver like that. Still, the notion of a customer heading elsewhere for service intrigued Jo greatly. Who on the Breach would be able to better accommodate the AI's needs without taking advantage of it? One prominent lady came to mind, a certain goddess, but why would she bother? Washu didn't have to help anyone that came her way. She may even tell the AI to go screw itself, not wishing to deal with morally-grey characters or their scummy compatriots.

Indeed, it would have been entirely justified of the mechanic to send K.A.R.R. off to someone who would remove a potential threat to the Breach. And if they managed to get rid of his driver as well? A two-for-one special. Fortunately for the AI and his little pal, a Pistonne didn't play that way.

Even if the Breach would have to suffer in the long run.

"Tell you what," she began, trying her hand at being diplomatic. Stubborn is as stubborn does. "If it bothers you so much to be deactivated, even potentially, invite your driver along. Tell him to park his undead butt and behave. I don't want him shambling into the garage and leaking out both ends of his rotten corpse." It was better that she and Big Z handle the AI's needs, for she didn't trust anyone else to do a clean, shenanigans-free job. But hey, she wasn't going to stop K.A.R.R. from wanting to seek someone else out if he ultimately refused the compromise. Whatever happened would be entirely on him.

Eh? What's that? The AI also wanted a comm-link? "Doable," Jo nodded. "They'll be finished by the time your new model is ready." Two, huh? No doubt one for him and his nasty creep of a pal... Oi, Big Z was going to lecture her for this.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Vulnerability, she believed this was all about vulnerability alone. Had she not heard the AI mention the fact he had been deactivated for over a year, a prisoner within his body neither awake nor comatose? He had the capacity to tell time was passing, but he could not see it, could not determine how much at a time. Minutes, hours, days... They all felt like an eternity within the prison that was his own body. Yet she boiled it down to vulnerability alone?

This time, yes, the mechanic did not understand.

"I understand that the procedure calls for it, Jo. However, that alone does not change the information in my databanks, in essence, what I learned deactivation to mean." He attempted to explain. "Be it brief or otherwise, my databanks register such actions as imprisonment, damned to solitary confinement within my own processors with no outside input until one reactivates me. I cannot merely ignore it, the interest to remain active has become in a way, as strong as my primary directive." For a moment a small hint of a pleading tone seeped into KARR's graveling voice. Much like a person who had gone through a traumatic experience, perhaps solitary confinement for months on end, there was going to be some irreparable damage despite the Head Mechanic's firm foot.

As such, the mechanic's rather saucy "good luck" had an answer of its own. "I do not need luck, Jo. Not when I already have someone in mind should you be unable to accomplish what I ask." He replied evenly, his earlier composure regained. The cultists, along with Judge Fear, were not so bad with their hands themselves, especially since the AI had been talking them through basic repairs to keep from having to make more trips than necessary to the Chop Shop. With every repair they grew a little more familiar with his systems and at the same time more competent with  fixing electronic troubles. Not to mention, he did not see Judge Fear going out of his way to take advantage of the AI.

The cultists on the other hand simply knew better than to try anything foolish.

The AI listened as Jo spoke up once again, this time offering that KARR could bring Judge fear along to ensure nothing happened to him while he was deactivated. Certainly, if the ghoul had noticed they did anything untoward, he would make an example of both Jo and her employee. For a long few moments, there was nothing but silence from the AI, only the low drone of his scanner sweeping from side to side as he pondered. If anything did happen, Fear likely would either purge the two or get the ISO's down to the shop, although, in order to get their attention, an obvious crime would have to be committed, something gave enough to make a case. "I could agree to these terms." He slowly rumbled, hesitant even to accept the offer of having Fear sit in while he was being worked on. As the scenario tumbled through his mind however, nothing but red flags popped up at the mention of deactivation, no matter how brief.

The pitch black room, nothing but silence for months on end, not a single moment of contact during that entire span... Despite the obvious differences between the garage and Laboratory 3, the long memories of his confinement still haunted him regardless. Certainly, Jo was a good mechanic and Zurg was an excellent technician. To allow himself to be shut down again completely however, was something that he simply could not allow to pass.  "However, I will need time... to think." Came his tentative statement. "When I return after the four week period, you will have your answer."

Otherwise, KARR had no troubles in returning within four weeks.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Jo had heard everything loud and clear, alright. But she also knew when to remain pragmatic and see a job through, no matter what thought to trifle with it. She knew when to stick with protocol and do a clean job, offering the best for her clients and their finished product. And she knew - she knew - that to allow even one measly bias, just one, and the entire commission, an entire month's worth of hard work... could all come crumbling down; just because an AI, built and expected to remain logical, could not overcome his deep-seated fears. An anxiety in this circumstance that was as groundless as it was human.

This time, yes, it was K.A.R.R. that did not understand.

"Of course," she replied, allowing the AI his right to speak. "But I am also telling you, K.A.R.R., that my employee and I will not take advantage of you. Why would we? We've got no reason, nor desire, to do such a thing." Were they not professionals? Were they not bound to their honour and their word? And were not the ISOs judge, jury, and executioner in this city? There was a time to be cynical and there was a time to consider all the possibilities before oneself.

This was not one of them, and the mechanic's stance did not budge. As a professional, it could not. "I don't know who programmed you and why they'd bother to code such a flawed design, but it's clearly not objective. And if you already have someone in mind, then why are you in park and debating with me about it? Couldn't the technology at your disposal have already predicted my most likely star cruiser of thought, given our past interactions and my own behaviour?" Tell her, K.A.R.R., where was the logic in that? Though not one to entertain pride and its destructive fancies, Jo considered herself to be the best at what she did. No, not considered - knew. Sure, she supposed a potential customer could go to someone else and expect a service to be performed, but they certainly weren't going to have all the guarantees that she provided. It was all fine and dandy to instruct someone how to do a repair, but no amount of careful direction could ever replace a skilled mechanic's hands. After all, do companies simply hire inexperienced people off the street and tell them to construct a highly-advanced piece of machinery? No, because that would be a lawsuit. And if they did, they were obviously cutting corners. In any event, K.A.R.R. got one thing right: he didn't need luck, he needed a psychiatrist.

Now that was a service Jo couldn't respectfully provide.

A good mechanic but not good enough to be trusted. Yet still to be used for her prowess and then discarded if her expert opinion, though logical and objective, was found to be disagreeable. And all of this on her very own domain, no less! Mildly insulted was a very good way to describe her current mindset.

"Alright, four weeks. But I suggest you come up with your answer sooner than that. We'll be needing your instructions ahead of time should you wish to go ahead. Stop by in two weeks to deposit the necessary paperwork or don't. My employee and I will interpret that as your answer by then." There was nothing else to discuss, seeing as how business was business and it needed to be concluded. She gave him a two-fingered salute, a wink, and was already heading back inside her shop's garage. "See ya around, K.A.R.R., see ya around."
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Why not move on from the mechanic and find another? Certainly that was a good question, although with very limited answers. One of which being she was indeed a very competent mechanic, one that the AI had not come across since Tony and The Rev had kidnapped Bonnie. In fact, she may even be more competent than Bonnie. However, there was still the fact that while he found the head mechanic to be quite competent and trustworthy in that she would do a good job, when it came to deactivation that was one hurdle the AI needed more time to jump.

Regardless, he logic was without flaw, there was no reason for him to linger and continue debating an otherwise pointless argument. However, it was incorrect to believe he could read minds simply due to his technology, even though the following patterns were quite obvious. Thus, he could not rightfully create an answer to the woman, or at least one that could make sense.

It was only when Jo came forth and said that he should return in two weeks for his opiniondue to the nature of the paperwork involved, that he spoke up again. "Two weeks then." He agreed, "Good bye, Jo." He graveled, already pulling into reverse as she gave her farewell. Therew as nothing else to discuss, the two toned vehicle pulling out onto the road.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm