Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Rush of blood to the head

Post by Arro on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:08 am

Time: 6AM
    Date: 11/6/14

Air rushed around him, whispering and faintly screaming at the clenched webbing of his ears. Ahead his eyes were filled with a wall of roiling grey, castles of storm clouds falling over and over each-other rushing away with the air he plowed through. It flowed past his head, and tugged furtively at the tightly bound lengths of leather swathing his back and undercarriage. From there it moved down his spine, plucking delicately at the faintly flared spines, then skipped to desperately grope at the divots between scales, before reaching the slick line of his tail. There the air relented and shrieked away and the dragon shot down shredding the atmospheric soup around him like a cannonball.

The woods here were quiet lately. Their holes and branches vacant of the busywork that crescendo'd towards the depths of fall. The trees were covered only with crows, the deer were skittish, the big game had ebbed into retreat well before the onslaught of darkest winter. Something large, something other than him had been hunting here with veracity. It's scent, littered on the scavenged remains he'd hovered over was a familiar one. Yet before the prior night in the sanctuary he hadn't been able to place a name to it. A few moments in his presence was enough for Arrogath to detect the massive change that had consumed the small creature he'd once hunted with. Now the Nym he'd known was gone, and a world of time and history exempt Arro from even having the right to question what had occurred. It unsettled him in ways that nothing else had in years.

The wall of grey exploded and clear sky took it's place. The earth lay below, small and humble as it patiently revolved in wait for him.

Arro rockets down, ice crystals shattering off his back as he flares his scales. Sky hits the upraised backs of keratin and solar absorbent cells like a car hits a brick wall. The missile shaped hulk breaks violently against his descent and spirals out of a tumultuous aberration of clouds, light shattering down into the frosted valley like panes of busted glass. The earth below him flinches as he roars out. Birds took flight in sudden primal fear of his voice, guttural and triumphant. Fire spikes out like lightning in front of his bared teeth, the force of his outburst having released a stream of flammable gas inadvertently. He wantonly alerts them to his position, as at this point his success is inevitable and he'd prefer to draw it out and enjoy the chase.

Hunting was all he did as of late, his days and months marked by the frequency of his kills, variety in what he slew, and the little challenges he could invent for himself to give his prey the upper-hand and extend the pursuit. He saw no one, spoke to no one, and no one sought him out. The only beings who'd notice his disappearance, should anything befall him, would be the librarians working the late night shifts. In the absence of strife, life and companionship he reverted to a purely instinctual existence. He dreamed awake, shifting from straining his muscles in the wild and his mind in the bowels of solid state library, and back and back again. The information of civilization never quite touching his primal existence, and the brutal reality of life in the furthest corners of the world never reflecting on his city haunts.

Hooves shatter the brittle earth, clouds of frost spring up behind them, steam spews out in front turning the grass green. Lurching creatures covered in hair feet thick and hides thicker spew out over the mountainous valley in the northern edge of the Kindle Forest. Their leviathan bodies transforming the terrain as they're spurred on in their instinctive mind controlling terror. Nothing dared touch them at the peak of their health, not wolves nor bears or lions. In the autumn and winter the tide turned on such creatures, normally, but not in the case of these, not the behemoths. Only the sickest would feed the grubs and wolves and none here had yet to feel the draining pressure of winter famine. Their heads sawed from side to size, slicing the air with horns as thick as tree trunks and threatening to paint the earth red with the innards of any who forget these facts. They were healthy, they were strong, they were survivors in a bleak existence where all else fell. And yet they ran. They had good reason to.

Arrogath corkscrews through the air, his eyes alight and solidly locked on his targets below with all the acuity of a computer algorithm. With a sweep of his wings he halves the horizon with his silhouette and speeds towards them, his path altered so as to arrive at their necks at an angle of twenty-eight degrees precisely.

His monstrous body blocks out the sun, no light escapes from the great veined swaths of skin and talons that shoot up into the sky around the fleeing forms. Gargantuan, smothered in tightly condensed muscle, and swifter than a falcon a fraction of his size, he had no name in these moments, he was nothing, he was everything. His heart rate spiked in pleasure. He was a dragon and nothing slaughtered like he slaughtered. He purred, a sound like cascading boulders, and plunged his six inch black talons through the forest of fur and hide and finally through vertebrae with an echoing crack. A sluice of liquid washed over his feet. The beast bellowed and reared, arching it's horns towards the attacker. Arrogath reared back with it, arms and wings splayed wide and abruptly washed away it's bugling with a fountain of fire. The gas flowed from his throat like a faucet and shut off with a twist of an organic knob. Arrogath floated backwards and the sizzling body fell with an earth shaking thud.

The rest of the behemoths were disappearing into the morning mist, if this had been an attack by anything but him they would have stayed to defend their kin. But they were as smart as they were brawny, and knew any attempts were hopeless when faced with fire. Better to regroup somewhere further north, and graze as much as they could before the snow set in.

Arro landed and sat quietly beside the smoking corpse. Still as stone, he listened as his meal cooked to the corvids gathering in the distance. Everywhere else, what life there was continued as it always had, the drama barely acknowledged by the indifferent natural world.

[I'm bad at posting concisely, forgive me]
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 41

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Re: Rush of blood to the head

Post by Nym on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:42 am

It was always a sight to behold whenever the drai went on the prowl. The aerial dance he performed seemed just that; a dance, rather than a maneuver to come down and strike his target. Such acrobatics as this was what caused Nym to feel the need for wings of his own, and though his wish was granted, it was hard to enjoy them. To leave nothing but his scent; wasn't that the best way for a hunter to move? Swiftly, quietly, unseen, unheard. Every movement counts, every breath determined whether or not starvation was on the horizon, and to leave nothing but a scent... that was his folly. For the remainder of the evening after the Sanctuary, it proved helpful for the fur-covered dragon-like monster to focus on other things than past actions. In this case, hunting in the plains, but he took note of how quickly he rushed out after Arro had arrived. A shame, the drai's timing was always a tad terrible.

It wasn't hard to find him later on, however. The scent of fire, the sound of trampling along the ground, the air cut through with a high-pitched noise with such speed and accuracy--it wasn't hard to find Arro when he needed to be found. Hours spent, wandering around the plains and cottage, remembering things and feeling... out of place--it was welcoming to see the dragon he hadn't spoken to for a while. This was his fault, of course, he had been far too busy focusing on his own needs. So selfish of him, always selfish. And to add to his 'guilt', he was shown the acrobatic brilliance as previously mentioned, eyeing the dragon's swift kill from atop a tree not too far off. At first, he wasn't sure if it was the right time to speak, but when else would he have the time to catch the dragon in a 'down' setting.

He would wait; politeness was not lost to him in his newer form, and bothering someone while eating was rude. Once the drai had finished his meal and seemed content, the digital monster would descend, and allow his own wings to cut through the air swiftly, maneuvering through trees (with some help from his legs and claws), all the way down to Arrogath's location. His paws on the ground, the talons digging through and leaving marks as he walked forward, Nym snorted and looked at the burgundy drake with eyes narrowed.

"Your skills never cease to amaze me," he stated factually, keeping his distance as his wings laid on his sides. "My sincerest apologies for leaving when you had just arrived in the Sanctuary. It has been quite a while since I've had the privilege to speak to you again." Emphasis on certain words would show no sarcasm, but just... actual emphasis. It was difficult to show much emotion when one lacked them. "I hope my presence in the woods had not disrupted anything for you. It was the only place I knew where to go." There were many other places, but Nym had not traveled to them--familiarity was what he was accustomed to, but perhaps that needed to change...

(It's okay, I am too!)
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Level : 52

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:35 pm

The dragon hadn't been attentive during his early morning dive. When he was careful and aloft, nothing living escaped his notice, his eyes would pick out and log every speck on the horizon as effortlessly as breathing. But carelessness went hand in hand with rashness. He didn't fear the possibility of a meal escaping ergo his ostentatious entrance, so he certainly didn't care if he was ambushed or spied upon. Little could feasibly threaten him, and yet even if this time proved to be the one time and his negligence caught up with him, a fight would only give him something interesting to do.

Arro sat stoically for a few quiet minutes listening to the ambient sounds on the wind and watching distant birds consort. Then as his food began to smell just the right amount of medium-well, he tore into the behemoth's stomach and started working his way through it's heart and liver, discarding the bladder and other parts he found distasteful as he came to them. He ate as much to fill his stomach and still be light enough to take off should he need to abruptly -his thoughts weren't completely without prescience- and by the time he'd gorged himself on that much the carcass still loomed massive before him. The behemoth was more than twenty times Arro's own weight, if he secured it correctly and remained in the vicinity it'd be feeding him for many days. Then when there was little enough left to carry he'd take the remainder home.

He didn't become aware of Nym's presence until the echoes of large flapping appendages reached through the woods and over the fields into his ears. Despite this, when he turned to face the digimon the surprise on his face was barely evident. Not because there was none, but because he'd habitually worn such cues less and less as human and humanoid contact dwindled. He'd known hunting here increased his chances of running into Nym, but hadn't expected to be sought out himself based on what little he'd observed the prior night.

Arro watched wordlessly and carefully as Nym approached, his decisive gaze taking in the distance he maintained and his every hint of posture. But he broke his vacant stare with a blink and tilted his head upon analyzing Nym's opening compliment, never sure how to take such things. He did nothing to show off, only to enjoy himself, but felt oddly bashful about it upon the revelation he'd been watched by eyes other than the bird's.

"My sincerest apologies for leaving when you had just arrived in the Sanctuary. It has been quite a while since I've had the privilege to speak to you again."

"I hope my presence in the woods had not disrupted anything for you. It was the only place I knew where to go."

Whatever change had overcome Nym of recent couldn't be attributed to catching him on an off day, when he spoke his words flowed in the same deliberate monotone as they had earlier. Nym had not only a new form, but a new personality. Yet Arro couldn't speculate on how these alterations were a continuation of the small overzealous cub he'd last seen.

"You're not going to starve me Nym," he drolled. "I've the whole world to hunt and this is your home as much as mine," he asserted. Perhaps more, he was a drfiter who hadn't defined a stable territory since the day he'd arrived. With no other drai around he never thought there seemed to be much of a point in settling in one place. Nym on the contrary probably spent most of his time in Kindle Forest because of Kev. Though for all he knew those habits could have changed. In any case he didn't want the younger hunter making any concessions on his behalf. He was fed up with the bureaucracy that came with managing hunting rights in close quarters drai societies. If the forest continued looking thin he'd simply give it a break for a season.

Arro shook his head, his timing at the sanctuary was as awkward as his social skills. "That's partially my fault. I haven't seen much of anyone lately, the one day I make an appearance isn't the day I expect others to go out of their way for my sake," he stated matter-of-factly.

Hearing that Nym actually placed value on the things he had to say though made him feel almost negligent. He'd never imagined he made such an impression on the younger being, or anyone for that matter.

He paused for a meditative moment, before releasing his gravelly voice and narrowing his eyes with sudden intensity, "The window for talking may have passed, I'm oblivious to what you've been through these past months, but I'm here now... and I'd like to know if you're alright."

Arro wouldn't be surprised if after so much passed time Nym would shun a personal question. It'd be completely within reason for him to do so. But Arro was no longer comfortable with standing by and ignoring his friend's problems altogether, not when he thought he could do something about it.

[Sorry for the wait, my schedule is going to turn this thread into a slow one.]
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:47 am

Arro wrote:"You're not going to starve me Nym, I've the whole world to hunt and this is your home as much as mine."

Even so, Nym imagined it would've been hard at times to find a kill if and when the digital creature had been around and making noise in his earlier stages as before. He was clumsy, even if he had retained the lessons of past from Arro, but either way, it was good he had not bothered the dragon with his growing stages once more. And as for seeing him, though Arro was rather reclusive, it was mostly Nym's fault for not seeking him. Then again, he didn't dare to seek anyone or speak after he had hatched once again and fled from his home. It was just better to be in solace. Even if Arro had sought the Digimon, he wouldn't find him easily--or willingly.

Arro wrote:"The window for talking may have passed, I'm oblivious to what you've been through these past months, but I'm here now... and I'd like to know if you're alright."

"Even I am oblivious to that," he admitted. Oblivious in the sense that, though he knew what he had done, he didn't know what he was doing. All he knew was that he wished to not be seen nor heard, but everything else just seemed like a giant blur... a smudge across his mind, really. Prior to that, the events leading to this were also a smudge. Whenever he tried to recall them, a feeling inside of burning and sickness seemed to overcome him. Thus, it was best to leave things like that in the past. But he knew one thing; it wasn't his fault. That's what he told himself--but he wasn't sure if he believed it.

There it goes again, that sickening, burning sensation.

"Am I alright?" he repeated the question, this time with a hint of confusion in his voice. He wasn't dead, and he wasn't harmed. "I believe I am." Believe being the keyword. Ahh, but then again, Arro didn't know! Perhaps it was best to let the drai know why he had changed so much, not only in his appearance. "I would like to mention that my form has changed because I had died. I had to regrow, and this is the form I was given--I am back to my original 'stage' before death, and I will continue to grow." As vague as that sounded, it was still quite accurate and summed up things to a degree.

"This form feels better and more suitable to me, anyway. And, I can fly. It is a great advantage." A forced, toothy smile came across his face, but it faded quite quickly away. He was sure Arro would understand the advantages wings gave.

((I don't mind! Take your time, this can be a slow paced thread in general, it's all good!))
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Arro listened carefully as the younger being supplied uncharacteristically aloof responses. He didn't seem know himself well enough to complete an answer. Something about that struck Arro as uncannily familiar.

"I would like to mention that my form has changed because I had died. I had to regrow, and this is the form I was given--I am back to my original 'stage' before death, and I will continue to grow."

The ruddy drai blinked, increased the angle at which his head was tilted, and his breathing slowed just to the point of being noticeable; an audible exclaimed "Oh" wouldn't have had greater effect.

His hazy inferences were instantly clarified as each stray inkling snapped into place like a puzzle piece. Arro almost physically felt the psychological gap extend from beneath his talons stretching out to separate himself from the being before him. To Nym it was only stating facts, but to Arrogath at that moment he might as well have been speaking an alien language. He'd seen so many beings die; countless people, drai and of course the animals he ate. But after the breath left their lungs that was always the end. They never came back, no matter how hard he wished they might or how hard he fought like they were watching. Listening to Nym here now, relaying his resurrection with utmost nonchalance was a reality that refused to click into place.

Though he'd been aware this was how the breach worked, the validity of it had never really sunk in. Despite how many times he'd heard the stories of Resurrection relayed, he'd never fully understood until now, upon finally hearing someone he knew reporting it. Death was enormous, unknown, tantalizingly mysterious, but here it wasn't final. It was difficult to process how to react in a world that didn't follow the first and most basic rule of nothing lasts forever.

A muscle in his maw nearly twitched. He had a flashing vision of pointless lost lives, dying without reason and staying dead without reason. Then it cleared.

No wonder Nym had changed. It was one event Arro would never comprehend until he experienced it, if he experienced it, and that he'd have to accept.

Nym spoke on without suggesting he'd noticed Arro's visceral reaction, which Arro was grateful for, he didn't want to give the incorrect impression that he was somehow unhappy that Nym came back.

"This form feels better and more suitable to me, anyway. And, I can fly. It is a great advantage."

The furry creature grinned a bit, maybe trying to smooth over the dramatic "dying" news. Arrogath smirked back and briefly glanced at Nym's new flight-worthy appendages. They were a little more like a Vuivre's than his own, lacking even a thumb, their leading edge was created by a single sturdy index finger, and the wing membrane joined back up closer to the shoulder than did Arro's, which rejoined his body at the hip. Not the best surface area for gliding but he imagined Nym would be able to beat them at a prodigious rate, and the shorter wingspan must allow him to make beautiful tight turns.

"And it's disadvantages" he leveled, almost killing the upbeat Nym had tried to establish. He'd like to see Nym in the air but there was something else he wanted to get at first. "Wings take you far, far to new places but also far from those who lack them."

Which was incontrovertibly true, the act of staying alive, hunting, kept him away from civilization and therefore almost everyone else in the breach. Draconic air faring society or anything like it was painfully absent.

He shrugged his shoulders, as if trying to scratch an itch between the multiple shoulder blades. "Hard to get into buildings here too, whoever were the first people through the breach definitely didn't construct any of Portal City with the idea that anything like us would be walking through the doors" he mused casually. He wasn't great at giving hints, they were either too subtle or too heavy handed. But to the new Nym it was probably obvious he was broaching the subject of Kev and Nym's other adoptive family. You wouldn't catch him talking down flying under any other circumstances.

"Have you spoken much to Kev and the others about what happened?"
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:05 am

That was difference between Arro and Nym; he had seen so many lives lost and so many people die, while Nym had only just begun to see such atrocities. The act of staying dead had never been a thought to Nym once he had felt the embrace of death; he knew he had to come back, even if he couldn't. No, Nym did not notice Arro's perhaps bewildered state, and even if he did, he would not pick up on it or speak of it. It wasn't his business as to what the other was thinking, after all. His thoughts were his own...

Disadvantages? What could soaring through the sky with such freedom bring to it a negative? Those without wings. The 'upbeat' emotive Nym gave was a farce, of course, so nothing was brought down. Arro was merely stating facts, and Nym nodded slightly. The only thing the fuzzy digital creature could think of at Arro's statement was a more metaphorical meaning; keeping distance from everyone. Kev, Aya, Zurg. Those three were always the first to come to mind, but there were others... but he felt as though he had not seen anyone in so long... and he hadn't.

The thought went away as Arro mentioned buildings and Nym immediately lifted his lip in an irritated manner, "yes. But I don't like the feeling of being encased." Perhaps his visits to the Sanctuary would be few and far between--but would that be right? And thus, Arro brought up the subject of Kev. Interesting.

"I have spoken to Kev and Aya briefly. I will be heading to Zurg's home later in the day. I wished to leave the city and clear my thoughts before heading back." Nym was curious; why ask a question as that? It seemed like a question of concern rather than just a randomly brought up subject, but perhaps the digital monster was reading too much into the drai's words. "Everyone else has no need to know as to what had happened, or if they must, they can ask..." It would be doubtful that would happen, though. Most everyone he had been on that excursion with no doubt already told their close friends or loved ones or some other associates of some kind. It'd not be a mystery.

But something came to mind. Nym stood up a little higher and straighter, looking at the dragon with a face that even Arro could see was devoid of emotion. "I had heard you have been here a while. I wish to ask, have you ever died here? Have you ever... felt it?" Kev had died four times, if he recalled right, and others claimed their deaths were multiple. Some didn't come back and some did. Nym merely wished to know if Arro had experienced what he had.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 am

There were some costs he'd omitted, though Nym looked draconic on the outside Arro had no way of knowing how that translated to his insides. Flying made drai hungry, and as drai were always flying they were almost always hungry. The deceased behemoth beside them was a testament to it's stamina toll. Arro would bet it wasn't like that for everyone with wings though, more than people came into the breach, they brought a bubble of their worlds with them. Their rules, physics, and the hundreds of breeds of magic that he liked to insistently ponder.

"Yes. But I don't like the feeling of being encased."

Arro's chest shrunk as he exhaled, "I can't say I care much for them either", he conceded. "Drai's idea of architecture differs. Colonies are cavernous, in the biggest chambers dozens could fly through their interiors."

"I have spoken to Kev and Aya briefly. I will be heading to Zurg's home later in the day. I wished to leave the city and clear my thoughts before heading back."

His mind switched gears quick as a switch. Arro's long neck dipped to Nym's level and his ears flicked, conflicted over whether they wished to relax or stiffen.

"Good, I wouldn't want what happened to you to cause you to... miss out. They care about you."

He leaned back onto his haunches and glanced away to hide his inelegance. The young dragon wasn't oblivious, the old Nym was gone, and his attempts at reaching through to the new one may be flawed, but the apathy they both faced wasn't going to prevent the drai from treating him like a friend. As much as he remembered how.

Nym straightened, cracking the frozen grass, and Arro faced him again as he recognized the oncoming change of subject.

"I had heard you have been here a while. I wish to ask, have you ever died here? Have you ever... felt it?"

Arro's brow furrowed, his ears mirrored it by dropping by a few centimeters. That was a harder question to answer than it should be, and it dredged up theories Arro hadn't really thrilled in conceiving.

"I'm not sure" he replied frankly, and then hesitated for a few solid seconds to compose his bizarre idea into as few sentences as possible. His dry voice materialized out of a stationary maw, the words flowing from the throat rather than the tongue.

"You understand how the breach works? It pulls people out of different worlds and times, but also different incarnations of those worlds. I was here once before, some alternate version of me that the others remember. When I arrived I gained his memories. Not right away, but when people mentioned something from the past or something familiar was encountered the memories related to it would spring into place."

The ruddy drai stood silent once more, trying to dredge up whatever was supposed to be in the back of his head, the temporal muscles along his skull twitched under heavy scales.

"I remember... A white room, but I can't recall how I got there, or if I left. Only that it was as boundless as it was empty."

He flicked his amber eyes back to Nym. "That's all there is. The old memories are faint."

---------------------------------

[I live]
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 pm

"Good, I wouldn't want what happened to you to cause you to... miss out. They care about you."

Nym's eyes seemed to gloss over for a moment as he thought about the words, as if they had brought something forth from long ago, and yet... Nothing. His eyes returned to normal quite quickly and he looked upon the drai for a moment as if waiting for something. His question was brought about, and though Arro seemed conflicted with it, he attempted his best to answer the digital creature. Arro spoke, and Nym listened, each word not being lost on him. What he said made the monster... curious. He had heard of this 'phenomena', and though he never looked into it, here Arro spoke of it and even stated he managed to regain some of the memories of the alternate.

Nym knew he was never here before--and though he may have died and returned a far different being, his memories were still mostly intact, minus a select few he wished to push back as far as it could be pushed. He spoke once more, trying to recall what he could remember of any deaths he had endured.

"I remember... A white room, but I can't recall how I got there, or if I left. Only that it was as boundless as it was empty."

A white room... Nym did not see this 'white room'. He saw nothing but darkness, and felt nothing but a hard cold that stung his body like being pricked with needles. A boundless and empty white room... "All I found was darkness and cold," he said with a hint of growl in his voice. He didn't think about it any longer as too many thoughts began to poke their heads from his mind as to why he had to suffer darkness. Maybe it was different for others, who really knew? This place was so out of it and Nym wondered if anyone took this place seriously.

"Thank you," he quickly added before a long pause could intervene, and continued "I apologize if such questions were difficult or brought up unfavorable memories. I merely wished to know if anyone else had felt what I had felt, but things here may be different for everyone." He left it at that. The subject of death was one of unease to most, and decided to change it.

"When I've finished reconciling and you are in the area later on, would another 'hunting trip' be available? It would be interesting to see how two with the ability of flight would bring down something large... perhaps something more than just an elk or bear." The drive to hunt was still within him, and the idea of having assistance in bringing down something even larger and more rewarding would be... 'fun'. Though the feeling of such remained dull, it was still an opportunity in the future.

And at least it was something familiar.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:35 am

"Not difficult... not in that way" he managed, his teeth peeking out in strangled glimpses. It was frustrating. These half realized theories, like grasping at slippery fish with dull claws, impossible to hold but there and teasing him beneath the shallow stream. There were no mothers or fathers, no chiefs, praetors or kings to question, everyone was on equal footing in this mire.

Darkness and cold. Was that better or worse than the endless nothing? Perhaps he hadn't died, but had been caged in a purgatory instead? The questions were eternal and the answers nonexistent. Thinking on it was probably pointless but it was an addiction he couldn't break. Examining Nym, Arro recognized the same annoyance reflected like a mirror. They couldn't share solutions but they could share this.

"If it was bothering you it's important you asked. If we don't share our thoughts and forge connections with each other than nothing will ever be figured out, and nothing will be all we have".

"When I've finished reconciling and you are in the area later on, would another 'hunting trip' be available? It would be interesting to see how two with the ability of flight would bring down something large... perhaps something more than just an elk or bear."

His breathed deeply of the cold air, refreshing his thoughts and mood with the exchange of gases, his scales puffed out like a preening bird.

"Absolutely. I haven't hunted alongside another in a long time and I'd relish the chance to do so again," he announced zealously, practically bristling with the sudden dose of anticipation. Then turning sly, cocked his head and quipped, "It'd be fun to put those new wings of yours to the test too, but are you certain you can keep up with me?" he teased.
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:27 pm

"They come with more questions than answers," Nym responded. The subject didn't seem difficult, it was just the answers that weren't coming forth. Bothering him?... He tilted his head at the idea. It didn't bother him, but it made him wonder how everyone experienced something like that. "..." looking down at the ground momentarily at the words 'nothing' that rang through his ears, Nym had some idea as to what he'd be asking Zurg upon visiting him. Death wasn't a subject that people took too seriously here, it felt like, and the more he asked, he would certainly find that out.

Ahh, but the idea of a hunt was always something that Nym could feel... excited for. It wasn't happiness, and it wasn't a feeling of pleasure, but it was concentration and precision, and he rather enjoyed the feeling of being focused on something rather than having his mind become empty.... or worse, letting it wander.

Nym's wings stretched out as they made a slow flapping motion as Arro asked about them. The monster could not answer for certain, as they were still rather new and, despite the time he had alone to train himself, he was no master of the skies. "It will be a challenge, but it is a welcomed one. The more use they get, the better I will be with them." Nothing wrong with a bit of a challenge. If he could not keep up using his wings, Nym could certainly try running. "It will take me a while to be efficient with them as you are, though." He paused briefly before looking at his wings and back to Arro's, "might I ask how long it took you to get used to your wings? To know just how to propel yourself and keep a consistent speed?" He would almost expect Arro to reply with "what issues?" or something of that nature, but everyone had to have a learning curve.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:50 am

Arro's eyes subtly affixed themselves to Nym's facial features, lingering on the tilt of the head before trickling down to analyze his body posture. He sought the barest hint of a reaction, some excitement, or a retaliatory boast. But the old Nym was still staunchly encased in neutrality.

"It will be a challenge, but it is a welcomed one. The more use they get, the better I will be with them."

At least he was interested, if only for practical reasons. Maybe more of the old Nym would start to show once they were in the air. His scales almost flickered again at the thought, aside from Nym's happiness he had his own vested interests in flying with a partner, he was brutally starved for competition.

"It will take me a while to be efficient with them as you are, though." He paused briefly before looking at his wings and back to Arro's, "might I ask how long it took you to get used to your wings? To know just how to propel yourself and keep a consistent speed?"

Nym may not be excitable but he was curious. Arro rolled with the questions, interested in where they would lead.

His maw creeped back by a self-effacing inch, "Longer than I liked. I was on my own early on so learning was composed of trial and error. Some of it my body knew how to do naturally, some of it I attempted before my wings had caught up with the rest of my growth spurts... I think by my sixth summer staying aloft was ingrained, speed came easily, but it wasn't until several seasons later after joining a torl that I was mentored and learned proper endurance soaring."

Flying was to dragons as swimming was to fish, every drai would naturally learn to fly without instruction once their bodies reached the right developmental age, but guidance was what separated the winners and losers in battle. Arro couldn't say though whether he'd have been considered late or early in his competency, it was something he'd never thought to ask, by the time he'd met other drai bigger things had been on his mind.

[Still not dead!]
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Thu May 28, 2015 10:16 pm

"Longer than I liked. I was on my own early on so learning was composed of trial and error. Some of it my body knew how to do naturally, some of it I attempted before my wings had caught up with the rest of my growth spurts... I think by my sixth summer staying aloft was ingrained, speed came easily."

Though it sounded strange to hear that Arro took a while to master flying, Nym had to remind himself that he aged vastly differently than most others here. It felt strange as he grew into his current form... especially moving the muscles in the wing the first time. Nym let out a deep breath and cut off his thoughts, not wanting to get off of subject or distracted.

"But it wasn't until several seasons later after joining a torl that I was mentored and learned proper endurance soaring."

The furry dragon's ears flicked slightly as he stood up a little taller. "A torl?" Nym asked, a soft growl escaping along with the word, as it rolled off his tongue and through his teeth. He had read a lot of books, especially with his mind in a younger state, but never had he come across that word. "Excuse my ignorance, but I've never heard of that before. What is that?"

((Ahhhhhhhh butternut squash, sorry for the lateness))
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 am

Arro shrugged, the scales along his hackles rolling like water with the gesture.

"It's not the fault of any negligence on your part, it's a word of my own kind's tongue. A torl is... well I suppose the best approximation is a draconic city, but it's more than that." He couldn't help it when a little bit of pride seeped into his voice, "It's a service, like a guild or a tribe some drai choose to swear themselves to. They're managed by a council of elders and a Prenma elected from among the council or citizenry. In a torl there are designated hunters and warriors, which gives time for others to teach and be trained, and the infirm or elderly to be cared for so their skills and knowledge can be preserved."

He was drastically simplifying things but that was the bare bones of it. Talk anymore about it and he'd be thinking about Vervada again and have Belgrbafd's mantras stuck in his head for days. Already he could here that old rock-slide of a burnt throat reciting the praetor's tenets of the Heshtalfost tra rocca.

He rattled his scales slightly as if to shake that sand trap of an eventuality off and returned from his daydreaming to focus on Nym. Then a thought struck him.

"Ah apologies, don't let me delay you too long, we are a ways from the city and I wouldn't want you missing a chance to reconcile with friends. I will be in the area for a few days longer if you wish to seek me out afterwards."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[My lateness trumps your lateness, no apologies are necessary]

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 am