Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: What Are Friends For?

Post by Kev on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:24 am

Judge Salty wrote:"And I don't exactly engage in civil dissscourssse with sssinnersss,"

Now where did that come from? What crawled up Judge Fear's leathers and made him so rude all of a sudden. The alien leaned back and scrutinized the ghoul. Suppose that blunt statement about Leslie wasn't accidental, then. How nice. "Mmmngh. So I can tell." So nice. So very, very nice. Although Kev was beginning to get annoyed again, he wisely kept his 'mouth' shut. Fear may have come over to help make Kev feel better about Leslie's absence, but here he was, blatantly bringing it up. Seemed a bit strange...but he really, really didn't want a repeat of the kitchen, so he focused on Judge Mortis, and giving him a new cuppa! He did give Judge Fear a nod to show he understood when he declined another cup, though. A low calorie diet? "Careful, too few calories and you'll start to waste away."

The cup was poured, brown liquid easily refilling the porcelain cup, though Kev soon found himself feeling quite...unnerved. Judge Mortis' empty eye sockets were peering right into Kev's own eyes. Eye contact wasn't, entirely unheard of, of course! And the eye contact shouldn't be creepy at all just because his eye sockets were empty. Hnngh it was still slightly intimidating though, especially since not even a few minutes ago, Mortis seemed rather annoyed, or angry. Kev's eyes strayed for a moment to watch the fancy finger work Mortis was doing with his biscuit. "You're welcome, Mortis." The alien backed away, and with Fear's decline for another cup, Kev decided to cap off his own cup of tea instead, before placing the pot down on the tray once more.

Well, of course Judge Fear wouldn't consider Kev dying to be important. In fact, wouldn't that be a good thing for him? "I think it's pretty important." Certainly would have made him think twice before agreeing to all of this. Ugh, would couldn't Ridley have just been killed by someone, anyone else? Wasn't like the jerk deserved to live. Mortis insisted that it would not be something to worry about however, so long as he paid attention and did as he was asked. "Alright...I trust you two." Surely, if this was some convulted plan to kill him, he'd be dead thrice times over by now, yes? And good, Livewire was permitted. Knowing Livewire and how...nervous and anxious she could get, it was best that she be allowed to see him. Otherwise she may think he had disappeared as well. "Good, thank you." As for keeping to the diet, the Judges asserted that that was up to him, and he had no obligation to keep to a strict diet regiment. "Alright. If I find a meal that I really like, I might stick with it, otherwise..." He shrugged and dipped his fingers into his tea.

Judge Fear wrote:"In fact, we are to part waysss asss sssoon asss it isss over. No hard feelingsss, Kev. I am sssure that you wisssh to resssume your sssinful life asss we wisssh to continue our virtuousss calling."

If he'd possessed a mouth, he would have done a spit-take. "W-what? Part ways? Forever?!" Calm down, calm down. His fingers tightened slightly around the cup, looking between the two of them. From what Mortis said, it seems he had jumped the gun and they only meant in terms of staying at the cottage for training and not in the more...permanent type of parting ways. "Haha...right, of course...don't let me get in the way of your law. As soon as training is over, you're free to go!" Just so long as it wasn't forever. Couldn't be, as they still had a Space Dragon to kill.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 am

Glimmer of affection... Such powerful words. A reversal of roles, however? What exactly had Judge Mortis meant by that? The stronger empath of the two would have to further contemplate his brother's thoughts later, when there wasn't the distraction of a sinner and the vexing stipulations encompassing his death. "Can you?" came Judge Fear's rhetorical answer.

Indignation, mm... There it was again, simmering within the alien's scaly breast. Something grinned behind that black, iron visor. "Wassste away, isss that right?" the ghoul hissed. He found those words in particular to be quite fascinating, briefly wondering if Kev had been entertaining a bit of wishful thinking. That Leslie comment was destined to smart. "Ressst asssured, Kev; it isss not ssso easssy to be rid of usss." A blessing and a curse, depending. Now, then... What's all this mental chatter about regret and exasperation? Unsurprisingly, Kev thought that the possibility of him dying was a crucial detail to be cognizant of prior; his mileage certainly varied when compared to theirs. "Yesss, the honourable Judge Mortisss isss correct," agreed the helmeted Dark Judge. "Ssso long asss you follow my inssstructionsss and ssset assside your feeble mortal viewsss and opinionsss, there isss a great chance of ssssuccessss." How did... oh, 85% sound? Judge Fear would of course prefer something more conservative, such as 35%, but numbers were little more than arbitrary constructs manipulated by those with the means and authority to do so. Therefore, 85% could easily be the same as 35%; whatever false sense of security got Kev to sleep at night.

And the alien said that he trusted them, ha ha!

"W-what? Part ways? Forever?!"

Er...

Thankfully, Judge Mortis was instantly on the ball. As for his caped partner in death... "Huh." Needless to say, Judge Fear had become a smidgen puzzled. Now, why was Kev freaking out about the two parties going their separate ways? Why, when his training was going to effortlessly be one of the most grueling challenges known to Kev-kind? Should he not be relieved? Should he not be overjoyed? Could... could it really be that...

No, no~! Absolutely not, the Dark Judge adamantly told himself. A bleeding heart like Kev was just too damn friendly for his own good. He valued nearly anyone who gave him attention, selfishly contorting his own moral quandaries so long as he had his little fix. Yes, that had to be it, reckoned the ghoul. Mortals were truly wicked, wicked creatures that needed to be purged for their own salvation and spiritual enlightenment. Judge Fear returned his mind to the present, quickly finding something Kev had said to irately critique. "Mm, I wasss not aware that you wielded the power to dictate when we are free and when we are not." A suitable diversion, though it could not last forever - not like them.

"Moving on," he rasped, once again steering the conversation into their favour, "you are to train from 0530 to 2100, ssstarting with your morning meal and physssical exercisssesss. After that, you will be performing your daily choresss, followed by lunch. The mental and ssspiritual portion of your day will ssshortly begin afterward." Very, very simple. If the alien had somehow managed to make a disaster out of everything, he was going to be severely punished until he absolutely got it right. "At the very end of the day, during your one hour of leisssure time, your progressss will be ranked in correlation to how well you have completed your tasssksss and adhered to my inssstructionsss," Judge Fear continued. "There will be incentivesss for you to do well, and I fully expect you to function at the utmossst peak of your abilitiesss. Ssshould you not, you will be disssciplined accordingly." As expected, he didn't elaborate as to what constituted a passing and failing grade. That was left for Kev to discover once his training went into full swing.

Can't take the mystery out of everything, now, can he?
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:30 pm

"We need not worry about wasssting or withering, Kev. We do not require ssssussstenance." He rasped calmly in reply to Kev's quip, backing up his brother's words. You, however...You are not ssso fortunate." Even with his biology, requiring only sunlight and water, the alien still required sustenance from them nonetheless. As for the ghoul's words, privately stated across the mental link? Fear may not have to think so hard in order to understand their meaning...

That is, if he took a moment to ponder it.

From the sound of things, it appeared Mortis would not be involved with Fear's tutoring of Kev. Perhaps for the best, the alien was far more attached to him than he was to himself. Not to mention Fear was rather skilled in his area of expertise, he would have the alien either disciplined to his every word or curled up on the ground bawling like a child, wishing for it all to stop. More than likely it would be both, if the 85% success rate did not kill Kev first. Hopefully the latter would occur just as soon as the former. As for Kev's thoughts on dying, the undead Judge gave a slow shake of his bony head.

"Isss it?" He hissed, "If you die, you may jussst come back anyway. After all, you have ssssomething to live for here that would prevent you from crosssing over fully, yessss?" The ghoul rasped, his tone nearly reassuring if not for the knowledge of who exactly it was coming from. Then again, the green sinner did say that he trusted them, albeit from figuring his death would have been far more swift if the two Judges had truly wished to kill him in the first place. Ah, Kev... Although Judge Mortis could only figure that certain mindset was aimed towards him more than Fear, given his fondness. The sheep-skulled ghoul's presence was one that was not yet so warmly received.

A suspicion that only grew stronger with Kev's anxiety at the thought of him leaving. The ghoul's claws reached down to grasp his tea cup again, claws clicking against porcelain as he raised it to his jaw. Indeed, since when was it decided that the alien dictated when they could and could not leave? "Yesss, asss touching asss it isss that you care ssso deeply, the only thing that dictatesss usss isss our duty." He rasped before taking a sip of of the bold tasting drink. So long as there was life to be purged, they would go to it... Or so it was with Judge Death.

Given the slim likelihood that their Chief would ever make it to this place, would they go from world to world, continuing to purge as he so wished?

He paused mid sip at the thought, tipping the cup away from his teeth and setting it on the saucer once more. Something to ponder while Fear went over the alien's schedule...
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Kev was beginning to think that Judge Fear was doing this to be a pain in the bruuka. 'Can you?', really? "Yes. I. Can." He stiffly replied, eyes on his tea. Why was he being so confrontational and aggressive? Not at all like his brother. Though the both of them seemed to find his comment about 'wasting away' worth commenting on. Fear 'assured' him that he would not be rid of them that easily, while Mortis stated about the same with the added mention that Kev could easily waste away. "Hm." He really wasn't sure what to say on the matter. The wasting away comment was more of a joke than any sort of hidden wish. And being reminded of his own fragile mortality was...sobering.

As for dying during the training, Judge Fear and Mortis were quick to explain that such a thing had a low chance of occurring. Fear explained that as long as Kev listened to him, everything would be fine. The part about setting aside his 'mortal views and opinions' sounded a bit more concerning, however. "Alright...I'll make sure to listen to you, Fear." Judge Mortis took a different route, pointing out that Kev had responsibilities, duties, and unfinished business that would surely keep him rooted to this plane, rather than disappearing. Kev shuffled in place. "I do, yes. I have many things to live for...but that doesn't always keep people here. I've seen people who have lots of things to live for die." Lovers, parents, even entire families. Sometimes having something to live for just wasn't enough to keep someone here.

Almost as soon as he'd had that outburst, the alien wanted to burst into flames on the spot, or otherwise disappear. Guh, he'd sounded like some clingy school girl! That wasn't his intention at all! Kev used his tea cup to hide his own eyes from the eyes of his guests, embarrassed. Thankfully, neither really commented on it other than to be a couple of argumentative corpses again. Kev sighed wearily before peeking over his cup at them. "I'm not trying to dictate when you are free and when you aren't. You could leave right now and that'd be fine. You are your own people and you will do as you do, I'm not trying to control you. I'm just agreeing with you that you can leave then. You say you wanna part ways there, and that is fine. I won't get in the way of that." It'd probably be great to have the cottage to himself again, if this was what he had to look forward to.

The topic moved on and back to the training. From 0530 to 2100, that was definitely a long time. The day would start with breakfast, and then physical exercises, chores, lunch, and then a mental and...spiritual portion of his day? Kev's head tilted at that. "What are the 'mental and spiritual' portions like?" At the end of the day, he'd get an hour of leisure, and his progress would be ranked. Progress based on following instructions and completing tasks. There were even incentives for doing a good job! Though Kev thought that perhaps those incentives might be 'you get to live another day'. Otherwise, however, there would be discipline. "It doesn't sound so bad!" The alien started hopefully. "Though...what kind of discipline?"

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:56 pm

"Yes. I. Can."

Psychic energies bristled and the lights within Kev's living room flickered.

Thinking to stretch your muscles, alien? Thinking to perhaps take a chance with death? Whereas the honourable Judge Mortis had consistently been the more amiable of the two brothers, it was not he that Kev would be training with. "And you had better lisssten to my inssstruction," came a thinly-veiled threat, hissed between lurking teeth. "Ssshould you perisssh asss a resssult of negligence, I will not humour a sssecond attempt." You had one shot, Kev. That was plenty generous enough. Judge Fear regarded the subject of having things to "live" for with mild disinterest. "There isss truth in death," he rasped. "Tethering yourssself to ephemeral bondsss will dessstine you to sssuffer. Death isss the only path to liberation." Fanatics will do what fanatics will do best: extremism. There was no point in arguing with a Dark Judge; they'd hear nothing but ignorant lies.

"I'm not trying to dictate when you are free and when you aren't. You could leave right now and that'd be fine. You are your own people and you will do as you do, I'm not trying to control you. I'm just agreeing with you that you can leave then. You say you wanna part ways there, and that is fine. I won't get in the way of that."

"Damn decent of you." More provoking.

As anticipated, Kev had shown anxiety when it concerned his mental and spiritual exercises. For good reason, too. "Excruciating," hissed a pleased Judge Fear. There wasn't an ounce of sympathy in his otherworldly voice. His contentment waned in light of the alien's vexing hopefulness. Going to squash that right quick, come January. "Sss... That isss for me to know and for you to dissscover." If you were stupid. Let's walk you through this, Kev: Judge Fear was a Dark Judge and his uniform screamed warning bells. Judge Fear was also into a wonderful little thing called sadism. Do you know what people who like sadism do? Here's a hint: it's got nothing to do with being sad, though you will be if you manage to screw up fantastically enough. "Abide by authority, excel in your ssstudiesss, and ssshow ressspect. You manage thisss, Kev, and your training will go sssmoothly." This was perhaps the only guarantee Judge Fear could risk affording. This and all sorts of pain, he supposed. No point in revealing that to the alien.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:59 am

While Kev continued his stiff banter with the honorable Judge Fear, Mortis was content to take a biscuit from the tray and lightly dip it into his tea a few times before taking a modest bite. In fact, it could be observed to be more like a nibble, as a sheep would when dining on grass. A pleased sound rumbled from his chest, but not from the taste of the tea nor the green alien's hospitality.

That morose feeling, sobering thoughts and unease. Yes, that was truly the only other thing he could ask for to wash down the tea and biscuit.

Of course, Fear was not one to humor the optimism of the living, but is Kev wished to go through with this training and the two of them gain potentially useful tool, it paid to embrace the criminal mindset. If only temporarily. For now, he was fine with playing the yang to Judge Fear's yin, light opposed to dark. It would be Kev's choice to decide which he would gravitate towards, but in the end either side he looked to was essentially the same fate. Placing his cup back down on the saucer after taking another sip, he turned his attention once more to Kev. Ah, so he was afraid that his tethers would not be enough to root him to this plane, hm?

"I do, yes. I have many things to live for...but that doesn't always keep people here. I've seen people who have lots of things to live for die."

"Perhapsss you ssshould not be concerned about what that fate may fortell for you, and more of what it sssaysss about them." Judge Mortis reasoned calmly, letting his clawed hands rest upon either of his armored knees.

Once more there was another bout of backpedaling, with his brother in hot pursuit and snapping at his heels. "Yesss, you agree, but the way in which you agree isss one that isss not very... agreeable. Your words held a hint of sarcasm and anxiety that neither of us find very appealing." He rasped, retaining his calm, even tone. Context and intent was everything, Kev. The sooner you learned that, the better. Oh, but was this he spied with his skeletal eye?

Was Kev trying to peer into what he was getting into before it even started? Dear Kev, the journey was just as important as the answer, did he not know? "There are not extra pointsss for attempting to learn the material before inssstruction beginsss." Mortis hissed, taking his cup once more to sip the remaining tea. How amusing that the alien had already began to think that it would not be so bad, clearly the scaly sinner had not even glimpsed at what academy training was like. Not that Mortis would enlighten him, he reserved that honor for Judge Fear when the time came. Otherwise, he only nodded his bony skull in agreement with Fear's statement. There was little else to say that would not spoil too much for Kev, after all.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Kev glanced around at the lights as they flickered, the bristling psychic energy had definitely not gone unnoticed. Dark Judges...so quick to be moody. "Your instruction will be like the words of the Gods themselves, Judge Fear. And if I do die during it, I won't hold you responsible or tell anyone it was your fault or anything." That way, the Judge wouldn't get dog-piled by angry friends. After all, this was a mutual thing, a mutual decision. If Kev wound up dying, it would be due to his decision to do this training thing with Fear. He most definitely didn't want to die, especially since this was a one time only deal. Once he died, Judge Fear wasn't going to try again, and they'd be stuck with nothing. Though Kev was sure that Fear could get those weapons some other way...perhaps he ought to look into back up plans for killing Ridley.

Kev took a quick glance at Judge Mortis, seeing that he had grabbed another biscuit to nibble on, and his eyes went to the tray. They still had a couple of biscuits left to eat, and Kev certainly wasn't going to eat any. The Judges might not even want anymore biscuits once this handful had been eaten up. The sheep skull Judge was quick to point out that if connections were unable to hold some people to this world, it may have less to do with the way this place operated and more to do with the person in question. "Mmm...good point." His tone was begrudging, and even a little bit bitter. After all, that meant that more than a few friends had considered Kev and others to mean so little that they didn't even give a second thought about leaving them behind! Judge Fear had a different opinion on the subject. Attaching to people is bad, it makes for a life of suffering, death is the one true path. "Sounds like a lonely way to live until your eventual death." Even the Judges needed to have some sort of bonds, even if it was only with each other.

Kev's explanation was apparently not satisfactory, Fear doing some goading and Mortis doing some critiquing. "If it sounded sarcastic, I did not mean for it to sound that way. I will admit that there was a lot of anxiety when I said that, and I'm sorry. I...misunderstood what Fear meant when he said we were going to part ways. Once I realized what he meant I tried to brush it off by agreeing that I cannot control what you two do." And instead they leapt upon it like lions on a gazelle. Mmm, speaking of predatory behavior, Judge Fear was happy to inform Kev that mental and spiritual exercises were going to be excruciating. That sadist sounded pleased as punch! The alien squinted in return. And any attempt to find out what discipline was like was shot down. "Understood." Judge Mortis gave a little hissed reminder that no extra points would come from learning his material early. Made it sound like this was a class...he was unsure if he'd prefer the normal training or a class. Something told him Judge Fear would be the kind of teacher to give out wicked tests. Kev placed his tea cup down onto the coffee table and gave a small nod. "My mistake! Won't happen again."

Abide by authority, excel in studies and show respect. Surely, Kev could do all of those things! Abiding by authority figures and showing respect was basically his bread and butter, and excelling in studies, well...he could deal with that as he went along. Kev folded his hands neatly across his lap. "I understand, and I will do what I can to succeed during the training! Is there anything else about my training that you need to tell me or that I need to know? I think Marvin will be back in here soon..." The animals in the barn had definitely stopped their belly-aching. Any moment now, the robot was going to lumber back in here.

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Like the word of his Gods, he said... Somehow, the Dark Judge was not so quick to believe. "We ssshall sssee," he rasped. His disinterest was palpable, though Judge Fear hissed not another word. It would be borderline amazing if Kev had perished during his training, but the ghoul had more than just himself to consider. Weapons of mass destruction, purging the iniquitous masses, obtaining an acceptable state of lawfulness for Portal Breach... It was tough being a Judge of the law. The ghoul had been content to being his brother's yin to Judge Mortis' yang, and honestly preferred it; amicably had never been one of Judge Fear's strong suits.

"Sounds like a lonely way to live until your eventual death."

Mildly deserving of a response, yet the Dark Judge showed restraint. He instead smoothed out the creases in his leathers and trusted Judge Mortis's tongue over his own. The sheep-headed fiend had expressed their combined thoughts eloquently enough thus far, so why curdle relations further, hmm? As for anything else in regards to the alien's training... "There isss one," Judge Fear finally spoke up. It was a detail he thought relatively minor, but it ought to be stated nevertheless. "The essstimated time it will take for you to complete your training isss a generousss three monthsss. Ssshould your progresssss be undessserving of an unconditional passss, your training will be extended indefinitely." So fairly important, depending on the party. Hardened fingernails quietly tapped against the armchair's velvety texture. "I am determined to proctor your training until you have met the criteria," rasped the ghoul. "Either you sssink or you ssswim, you passss or you fail. There will be no learning curvesss and no sssympathy. And, in the event that you perisssh, you have been made aware of itsss consssequence. Do I make myssself clear, friend?"

Hurry up in stating your answer or forever hold your peace, Kev. The less that disagreeable house droid knows of this affair, the better.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:46 am

Much like his brother, Kev's promise was not all the convincing for some reason or another. Probably it was the quickness to refer to their word like it was the word of a deity. Such beings were never very reliable, nor were they consistent... "Godsss are finicky thingsss, Kev, ssssubject to poor interpretation and ssswinging judgement conveniently to what their followersss wisssh. We would like to think ourssselvesss to be far better than that, impartial, unssswayed by the demandsss of the criminal." He replied, the Judge's rasp taking a more thoughtful turn as he pondered the statement. "We are Judgesss, after all. The law comesss before the capriciousss demandsss of a higher power, no matter how loud they may be." It was only fair. As for the rest, the ghoul gave a small but approving nod. "Sssee to it that you do not. I will not allow my brother to bear the weight of your choice." He hissed, warning embers flaring within his eye sockets briefly.

They both knew who would bear the brunt of the Judge's wrath should anything befall him.

Kev's tone in how he responded to the ghoul's sagely advice was something he found to be interesting. Why was the alien so begrudging to accept it? Hmm, from what could be read on the bare surface of Kev's thoughts, it had something to do with friends... Oh, so that's what this was all about. The fear of dying suddenly, never to return, anxiety at how people were disappearing... Ohoho. Across the link his consciousness brushed up against Fear's something sadistically mirthful seeming to grin as he spoke. Looksss like Kev hasss sssomething of an insssecurity about being consssidered inconsssequential. He hissed thoughtfully, Might be worth bringing up later on. If Fear had the stones to go that far with him, that is.

Dark Judge or not, he knew a soft spot when he saw one. Even if Fear was not willing to admit it just yet, at least to him. In the meantime, it looks like someone decided to poke a bit at their philosophy. "Mussst you take thingsss ssso literally?" He slowly hissed, leaning forward, "Certainly, many of the living are iniquitousss, for they are the only onesss that commit crimesss. But thossse that aid the caussse of death, helping ssset an example of ussshering thossse into oblivion, in ssspirit I sssuppossse we are kin, in a sssensse." Or so suggested Judge Fire, the flamboyant walking stack of charcoal. "But enough philossophy, the only thing one needsss to crosss the thressshold isss yourssself. Consssider, Kev, would you ssstill feel that sssenssse of bitternesss towardsss thosse who left you if you had never attached in the firssst place? It ssstill burnsss within you now, I sssee, like a russsted dagger ever ssso ssslowly being twisssted. The Dark Judge coldly reasoned, his talons curling as his they were taking hold of the metaphorical dagger itself. "Now tell me, jussst how our way isss ssso lonely when we have never been left to lonesssomenesss? To be lonely isss an acquired tassste, Kev, and it isss acquired through abandonment." And a Judge, Kev, never is dropped to the side like some child who has grown bored of their plaything.

They all were bound by their duty, they were all brothers in their shared cause... Unless you were Judge Death who could give less than a radrat's ass what happened to his lieutenants or where they got sucked off to when someone sucked them into another dimension.

That aside, the Judge leaned back to recline in his seat on the sofa. Though his words were harsh, were they not also true? Much like a newborn calf does not fear a tiger due to not knowing the threat it poses, one does not tend to feel loneliness if they have never been face to face with another worth attaching to, and following that, been separated. It was a trait that coincided with those that were addicted to social attention, the withdrawal that was felt when one was so used to being around others like themselves. Thankfully the alien managed to see some sense as to why they were not so keen on his prior statements. Again his skeletal neck did creak with a slow, approving nod.

The rest was in Fear's capable claws.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:02 am

Well! Look at Judge Skeptical and Judge Doubtful. Such faith they had in him, such respect. If they really expected him to screw up, why did they even bother with this? The alien's gaze flattened at their reactions, but otherwise kept quiet as Judge Mortis picked apart Kev's comparison to Gods. He shrugged. "My Gods didn't usually speak, so if ever they did, it was usually pretty important. Or...whoever thought the Gods were talking to them was crazy or being tricked by someone." But their point was taken, the word of a Judge was impartial and sturdy, compared to a fickle God. Though before Kev could properly respond, Mortis got a little...threatening.

Judge Mortis wrote:"I will not allow my brother to bear the weight of your choice."

It took him aback, blinking at the Judge and even leaning back from him at the glow in those eye sockets. "Of course not. I wouldn't want any of my friends to go after the two of you." Gods knew that Kev's friends weren't exactly on a great personal level with the Judges already...all they'd need is to hear that Kev had died at their claws and they'd swoop down. On one hand, it was rather flattering, not to mention nice. And yet, he felt bad that they felt like they had to swoop in to his defense like that. Kev's pose stiffened, back straightening as he gazed back at Mortis. As for what he had to say next, he couldn't help but be slightly confused. Iniquitous? That was quite the word. Still, supposed Kev had earned that exasperation... "No, I suppose not..." Honestly, the thought had crossed his mind before. The thought that befriending people was a mistake, setting himself up for disaster. For failure. Maybe it still was, but the idea of pushing away everyone away to protect himself was wrong. Maybe Mortis was right, but he could not just stop being attached to the people he had left. Mortis' further description was positively chilling, likening Kev's loss to a dagger being stabbed within the alien. Mm, just like with Fear, the alien felt exposed and examined. He looked away, avoiding eye contact. "I..." He felt uncomfortable, arms folding across his chest as he tried to gather his thoughts. "Alright...I guess you two don't get lonely since you don't get...attached...it must be very nice."

And there was one more thing to talk about, Kev turning his gaze to Fear. Anything to ignore the dagger. Though what the Judge said wasn't exactly great. "Three months?" A month, maybe he could disappear and blame a bad cold or something, but three? "I have a job! I-I...oof, I gotta get that all fixed up...if I drop off the radar for three months, my friends are gonna think I've left..." Mm, and if he didn't do good enough, that time would get extended. The Judge had no mercy, insisting that if he failed, he failed. If he died, he died. If he passed, he had to pass completely. There was no middle ground in any of this. "Yes, friend. You've made yourself...very clear."

"Clear about what?"

Kev stiffened and turned to face the robot, who was just now stepping inside the front door of the cottage and glancing at the three of them curiously. "A-about proper tea serving etiquette! I have so much to learn from these two~!" The alien responded, tone overly cheery. The robot gave a dull blink and made a small hum. Riiight. "So, um, how're the animals? Was everything alright?"

At this, the robot's mood seemed to lighten as he walked into the living room and found a spot against the wall to stand. "Oh, yes. I could not find whatever had made them so antsy, but I calmed them down. Gave them some extra hay and attention as well. I stood guard outside of the barn too, just in case whatever spooked them came back. I think they will be fine, now."

"Good, good. Thank you Marvin." Well, with all of that out of the way...now what?

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Looksss like Kev hasss sssomething of an insssecurity about being consssidered inconsssequential. Might be worth bringing up later on.

Fret not about having the stones, brother. Judge Fear was no softie, regardless of what you perceived through these interactions. A bitter chill entered the other Dark Judge's psyche. Noted, he hissed, tone level. These undead fiends had sadism in spades. Kev, meanwhile, paled at the thought of forsaking attachments and to spend three entire months with yours truly. The latter he understood; three months could be a long time for the average sinner, give or take a few days. But as for the former...? "What my brother hasss ssstated isss true," the helmeted ghoul added, bolstering Judge Mortis' sagely words. "Though we have been ssseparated in the passst and for yearsss at a time, never have we felt abandonment. We, unlike the sssinful living, are capable of biding our time and knowing well enough that the brothersss will be united once more, eager to carry out jussstice." At least, that is how it happened in regards to Limbo and the wine bottle. The Sisters had helped immensely, but never did the virtuous four concern over permanent woes.

That having been stated, Judge Fear couldn't help but think that Portal Breach was... different. He didn't know to what extent or anything specific, but it was just this feeling that he could not be rid of. In a way, the undead fiend had glimpsed enough of Kev's memories to know that there was some truth in that overly-affectionate melon... The alien looked away and his unspoken distress became palpable. "Mm..." That bit wasn't true, see. About not being able to attach and therefore avoid loneliness. Had not Judge Death befriended a kindly old lady, after all? He even pardoned her! Judge Fear could not outwardly voice this contradiction to his brother's statements, however. Respect for his superior compelled him as much. "Good," he hissed. "Then there ssshall be no misssinterpretati - "

"Clear about what?"

And so the cautious house droid makes its return...

"Yesss," echoed Judge Fear, sounding just a pinch sarcastic. "We alssso taught Kev a few pointersss on how to act, isssn't that right, friend?" Your lies were terrible and you should feel terrible. Honestly, who tries to hoodwink a machine? A dummy who befriends two genocidal ghouls, obviously.

But! With Marvin now back in the picture and everything important having already been discussed, this was perhaps their cue. Yellowed fingernails plunged themselves into velvety fabric as the Dark Judge rose to his towering height with a creaky groan. "There isss little elssse we need to ssspeak about. You now know how to make a proper pot of tea and you have acting to rehearssse." That being how to trick all your friends into not worrying about a three-month long hiatus. You were such a good buddy, Kev. Turning to better glance down at his brother, Judge Fear further rasped, "Brother, isss there anything elssse that you wisssh to addressss before parting with our dear friend?"
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Yes, his brother understood clearly what his advice meant. The four had never truly been permanently removed from each other, therein they never had to face abandonment. Even with Fear's addition, defending and bolstering Mortis' words, it appeared the green skinned sinner did not fully comprehend.

"Alright...I guess you two don't get lonely since you don't get...attached...it must be very nice."

In fact it flew right over his soft, scaly head. Did the ghoul not say that each of their brothers were attached to the other? Did he not already see multiple very clear examples of how close the two lieutenants were? Prior to his distress upon having his weakness come to light, it still had been seen as clear as day. Either Kev's insecurity had suddenly made him deaf and blind, or he did not wish to accept that there could be bonds that surpassed the grave. Bonds that were not handed off to just anyone. The alien could learn a lesson in this, if he opened himself up to it.

Despite this, the Dark Judge figured this would be the case, just as Kev would flounder and stutter at the thought of being away from his job and friends for three whole months. Mortals, naturally, were weaker creatures, unable to comprehend a bond so permanent as to outlast their existence, a commitment and trust that did not dwindle away in their absence no matter for how long. Thus the sheep skulled Judge kept silent alongside his brother, Kev would see their way in time, he knew.

Mortis' skull turned towards the door as he heard it creak open, a familiar droid standing in the doorway. Marvin had returned from tending to the animals. Odd, for a moment Judge Mortis had figured he would have been back sooner, at least until he heard it explain why it had been gone for so long. With his arrival however, their meeting and thus their tea time had drawn to a close. Mortis came to stand alongside his brother once Kev had finished fumbling at an attempt for a cover story. Really now, they just spent over half an hour discussing tea etiquette? Unlikely.

Unless somehow they decided to go through the methods of each and every district of Britain.

Regardless, his brother played along, if only to spare the robot's ignorance. Should they have said the truth, likely they would have been kept a while longer reiterating everything to it and more if it decided to ask questions... Speaking of that, for a moment Mortis had pondered if perhaps they should have brought KARR along to keep it company...

"Brother, isss there anything elssse that you wisssh to addressss before parting with our dear friend?"

Hm? Mortis turned his head to look at Fear, broken out of his thoughts. His skull turned back to look down at Kev, his empty sockets remaining fixed upon him for a few moments before saying; "Get yourssself a real tea cozy inssstead of that disssh rag, Kev." He hissed, turning to walk towards the door. "That filthy thing will sssully the pot." With that said, Mortis turned his gaze back to his brother, ready to move on.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 pm

The Judges had insisted that they did not get attached to mortals, aka those who did not deserve it, and so did not get lonely. Kev had definitely seen that the two Judges were attached to each other, and to the two Judges that had yet to appear. He had talked enough with Fear to know that Death and Fire were more then just canon fodder. Even though he had his own reservations with Death, the bond the four of them had was most definitely not forgotten, or ignored. Though the alien had been rather indifferent with his response, in an attempt to move the subject along. It was rather...uncomfortable. Even when they technically were abandoned by Death, Death always came back and time was meaningless to them for the most part. 5 minutes, 5 years, same difference! The bond made him return, and they would be reunited. No wonder being apart from Death and Fire like this in Portal Breach seemed to irk them. Otherwise, they didn't know abandonment and they couldn't be lonely. They had each other, and that was enough. A slight twinge of envy stirred in his chest, though Marvin's appearance seemed to shift gears in an instant, with Fear being incorrigible. "Yes, yes, on how to act. Act...politely and stuff!"

The robot seemed rather unimpressed with such a lesson. "Uh-huh." His skepticism only seemed confirmed when the Judge mentioned that Kev had acting to rehearse. He highly doubted that the alien would have needed to rehearse acting polite... "And what kind of acting is this, exactly?" Marvin asked coolly, the question directed at Kev and at Judge Fear. The two of them were leaving though, and Marvin was quite relieved to see that. The robot nodded his head politely and stepped back so he wouldn't impede their way to the door. Kev stood up from his seat, inwardly wondering if he should show them out. Was that considered proper? Hmm...Kev nodded his head along as the Judge insisted there was nothing more to talk about. "I will practice both, sir." His gaze turned to Mortis as Fear inquired about anything else they needed. Empty sockets stared into large eyes before he spoke.

Judge Mortis wrote:"Get yourssself a real tea cozy inssstead of that disssh rag, Kev."

Ha ha...of course. "I will, most definitely." Or at least, he'd stop using that blasted rag...where does someone even find a tea cozy? He'd figure it out later...Mortis was already walking towards the doorway, so Kev shuffled forward until he was behind Fear. It'd be the polite thing to walk them out of the house, right? Wave them off or...something? Behind Kev, Marvin lingered near the wall, before raising a hand to wave in their direction.

"It was...interesting to meet the both of you." Please don't let them make this 'tea party' a normal routine...

Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Wed May 06, 2015 11:59 pm

Naive and envious... Such a peculiar mix of emotion, though Judge Fear spared the alien and pestered him not. There will be plenty more opportunities in the months to come, away from the house droid's prying eyes. And speaking of... "How to ressspect one'sss teapot and avoid improper etiquette," came the Dark Judge's smooth answer, his words piggybacking off Judge Mortis'. The more armoured of the two ghouls took immense delight in reminding Kev of his unfortunate blunder. "And you will do bessst to practice everything we have dissscussssed," he continued, never missing a breath. Or a moment to insult the scaly bugger, in Kev's case. But the undead fiend supposed he ought to throw the alien a bone. After all, would it not be the proper thing to do in times of ignorance? Yes, yes. Judge Fear took it upon himself to part with a bit of information. With a smug undertone in his ethereal voice, he said, "You may purchassse a tea cosssy at any ressspectable department store," the ghoul rasped, "though I would not trussst yourssself to choossse sssomething of adequate tassste. One day, perhapsss. One day..."

SUBTLE FORESHADOWING.

Ah, but that was enough jeering for one sitting. There were plenty of sinners to purge and currently only two pairs of judicial hands to see them off. The labour of Hercules, but such was a Judge's purpose. There was a sharp crack of Judge Fear's trailing cape and off the undead fiend shambled, acknowledging Marvin's existence for a brief three seconds. "To you asss well, houssse droid, to you asss well." With nothing else to say and leaving Kev to his impending fate, out the Dark Judge walked, and with him, everything that was wrong with the world.
    Mortis
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Mortis on Fri May 08, 2015 10:07 pm

While his brother was able to pick up the alien's more emotional output, Mortis on the other hand was more than happy to read over Kev's analysis, his pondering over the bond between the four. It was from here that the ghoul could read this envy, this desire to have what they did. Alas, green sinner, such a fantasy may never be...

Especially if Mortis' brother held every intent to purge him when it came to be his time.

Having already said his parting words and more than content to let the alien writhe under his brother's gaze and the inquisitive nature of his house droid. Anything else that could have needed to be said had already been done so by his brother. All that was left for Mortis to do was wiggle his clawed toes against the plush carpet and await for their time to take leave. His skull swiveled in time to see their host follow his brother towards the door, intent on showing them out like a polite 'friend' would.

Speaking of friends, their newest one, Marvin gave them a small wave as he watched them from his own corner of the room. "Yesss, perhapsss we can pet the sssheep again ssssometime." He rasped in reply, his clawed hand raising with a creak of ancient, leathery skin to wave back at him. That said and done, Mortis was content to shamble out of the house with a flick of his bony tail.

With his departure, the rest of what was wrong with the world followed him.

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 pm