Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

In the Presence of Fading Glory

Post by Grodus on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 pm

Time: Afternoon
    Date: 7/23/2014

After spending that time in the armory next to their own quarters, Grodus had begun wandering the castle somewhat aimlessly, having no plans on where to go other than wherever his feet took him. Up and down the corridors, he poked his head into the gardens but quickly moved on when he discovered it was already occupied, and a moment or two spent looking over the castle walls before likewise moving on. He wasn't entirely surprised when he realized his wanderings seemed to be taking him in the direction of the White Queen's room; a source of magic that strong would usually have an almost magnetic effect to those who could sense it. There was a certain part of him that wanted to turn back, remembering that being in the presence of that light for long had almost been painful, but still he kept walking forward.

Through the halls and into the cavern he went, eventually arriving at the stone doors that sealed the room off from the rest of the castle. Grodus paused before the doors, bracing himself for the torrent of magic that would be bouncing off his own fields in a moment, and then made his way inside.

The experience wasn't quite as jarring as it was the night before, the technomage wasn't sure if that was because he was now used to it or if the Queen had grown a bit weaker during the night. She still sat there, in roughly the same position she was in before, with every ounce of strength she had focused on maintaining the barriers around her castle. A different shift of guards and doctors were also milling about the room, but Grodus paid them little attention.

Out of curiosity, the mage carefully extended his power outward and began to examine the magical workings of the room, trying his best to avoid interrupting any of the spells that were in place.
    Sonia
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: In the Presence of Fading Glory

Post by Sonia on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Her eyes were closed before the doors opened, her mind following the flow of her magic, going with it to the barrier and to the edges of what remained of her kingdom. She could feel it, giving centimeter by centimeter as her magic dwindled along with her life. The sound of the great stone doors opening alerted her to the presence of another.

Opening her eyes the White Queen blinked slowly, adjusting to the blue light of the room once more as her mind filtered all the way back to her. Before her stood the one called Grodus, who had the day before offered evidence against the man called "Garry". "I can feel your magic," the White Queen said softly. She did not appear bothered by it though, rather she seemed more than content to allow the others power to explore the room.

The whole place hummed vibrantly with power, the carvings old and mystic in their design helped with the flow of power. The Queen was the center source of that power, her magic flowing out of her constantly, feeding into the room and then flowing out to protect her kingdom. It was constant and nonstop and so very tiring, but it did the job it needed to. "How did you sleep Sir Grodus?" She asked curiously.
    Grodus
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 37

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

Post by Grodus on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 am

Grodus was a bit too focused on his exploring to really catch the first thing the Queen said to him, continuing to subtly poke about the room with his magic. Ah, so these carvings in the walls that almost seemed to move, they were not so much an amplifier as they were focuses, to help her direct her power to where it was needed. He almost allowed his own power to continue along in that direction, but thankfully the strong pull of the barrier spell warned him away. Something that required that much constant input could very well consume him utterly, given his current strength of about a third of his usual capacity.

In pulling his power back to him, he did manage to catch the White Queen's next words, which were to ask how well he slept the night before. Grodus did pause for a moment, considering how to word his answer, but there was really no point in lying to her. "It was not the best, but thankfully I do not require much sleep. I am simply unused to resting in the presence of a magical field like your own. Don't think you need to hold back for my sake, though; I have certainly lived through worse. It is just something I will have to endure, until we take care of the problems in this realm."

There was no doubt in that last sentence; he fully intended to see this through to the end, and end up with their side the victor. This was a game, all of it was, and they were all pieces . . . but to come through with the odds so stacked against them would almost make all of this trouble worth it.

It was quiet for a few moments, and the technomage's thoughts began to wander to the few times he encountered the Queen's true self, Sonia, in the Sanctuary. She did not seem nearly as powerful then, almost seeming to hold her magic back from the Breach. Were they going to get back there eventually? Would she even remember any of this? Well, from one magic user to another, Grodus hoped she might at least get to keep this part. "This may sound strange at the moment, but be proud of the strength you hold, milady. Not everyone would be able to hold out as long as you have."

She would be more powerful than him, even if he managed to regain his peak, but the thought of another mage living as she should be made the idea more tolerable.
    Sonia
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Sonia on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:28 pm

The White Queen did not mind if the other was distracted, as a magic user herself she understood what it meant to be caught up exploring. She waited patiently until Grodus responded to her. "I am sorry that my power is so overwhelming, normally I would keep it under tighter restraint, but given the circumstances I have no choice but to open myself up fully. I hope that it does not become too much of a problem for you." Sadly there was nothing she could do about it, she could not stop if she wanted to keep the barrier up.

When all was said and done, when everything returned to normal, if everything returned to normal, Sonia would indeed remember this. In all of her sickness and her own issues she would remember Grodus's words, and they would help.

"...Thank you, Sir Grodus." The White Queen said after a moment. " I will be calling for you later today, once I have had some time to think about some things. Please though, if there is anything that I can do for you in the meantime let me know."
    Grodus
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 37

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

Post by Grodus on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Yes, that was about what Grodus expected, that the queen had to go all out in order to keep that barrier up. The strength of the spell in place belied the amount of power it required to go into it. At her apology, he shook his head. "It is fine, milady. I wouldn't have come to visit you if I truly could not tolerate it."

At her thanks, though she certainly couldn't see it, he smiled faintly beneath his robes. "It is no problem. Those of us born to this power, it is simply a part of who and what we are. Anyone who doesn't like it can go stuff themselves."

The queen asked if there was anything she could do for him, and Grodus shook his head again. "I should think you are doing plenty as it is. But if you would accept the company of an old sorcerer a while longer, I would not mind..."

The technomage would keep her company for quite a while, even as he wondered at himself the entire time. Why would he, one who still planned to conquer the Breach, suddenly care about any of this? Survival was one reason, though perhaps the fact she was one of the only other mages as strong or stronger than him that he'd encountered so far here had something to do with it. Those with the same sort of power ought to stick together or watch out for one another, at least he thought so.

Sonia
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Sonia on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:22 am

Grodus wrote:"It is no problem. Those of us born to this power, it is simply a part of who and what we are. Anyone who doesn't like it can go stuff themselves."

The White Queen considered these words, it was not something she particularly thought along the lines of. She had been born to power, born to a crown. It was what she was and who she was, but she had never had anyone dispute that. At least until she had met several of the dismissive people in the group that came with Grodus. She would not tell them to stuff it though, that seemed a little impolite and fairly un-queenly.

At Grodus's offer for company the Queen smiled and nodded, motion for him to come closer and sit down. She would be happy to have company, especially of the type that wasn't trying to kill her.

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 am