Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Re: This Thoom-Thoom has been Passed Down for Generations

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Confident is as confident does, and Zurg had every reason to be confident. His people could create and destroy stars, moons, planets. A feat that the prince could only achieve if he managed to ascend three tiers beyond his own lowly second tier. Which would be nigh impossible given his sealed state. Likely Zurg held every right to believe his people could withstand anything that came their way. Everything save for Alpha's purge of their universe. However, as Zurg went on and explained further, his people at heart truly wished nothing more than observe the universe. "I see." Prixlezub rumbled, "Your people have never been curious to observe other universes, perhaps see if there are resources vastly superior to your own planet's across the dimensional wall?" The demon wondered, after all, not all were mirror universes or adhered to the same laws as the worlds they both came from. With every new arrival to this planet, there came new resources, possibly more versatile than either of them had ever seen.

Of course, as Zurg went ahead with the hypothetical at hand, he listed traits that the prince could not help but agree with. Loyalty, honor, obedience... The demon prince gave an approving nod of his horned head. "Good traits indeed. I looked for the same in the alliances I had made." He replied, although he had to admit he had never been able to conceive being able to split this atom that Zurg spoke of. All the same, the demon could not pass up a possible philosophy debate. "But what makes an atom? As I had said, the rules that apply here may not apply in other dimensions." To study another dimension other than your own required an open mind, and plenty of patience to pick apart and learn from what was given. However, the monarch's admittance that his people were trying to decide a weapon to use instead of make one made the prince's brow raise slightly.

"I had thought they wished to observe the universe in motion?" He rumbled, slightly amused at the duality of Zurg's species. "Or I suppose these weapons are for if anything they observed decided to look back at them?" After all, it was only a matter of time before beings found out they were being watched, either for the sake of knowledge or more malicious means.

Unlike deities and their creations. Pledging ones affiliation to a certain higher power was certainly a good question, however, the prince could only give a simple answer. "The material plane as I had seen it was in a more simple time, bound to kingdoms and monarchies and still very superstitious about many things, but for good reason. Many of the deities did manifest at one point or another, sending their avatars and champions for the sake of a cause in their name. With all the beings that existed upon the material plane, there were many different deities that existed upon the same plane." He explained. "Those who had decided they did not exist were inevitably decided to be mad with how obvious their presence was. Although there had been stories of how heathens had grown bold enough to challenge a deity directly in an attempt to prove that they were not deities or ascended according to what they had decided to constitute as a deity. Not many survived such encounters or they immediately took back their prior claims." In a way they held a good reason to be faithful to a deity, as they  more often than not would give their favor or gifts to those that sought them out. At the same time, when one was limited to alchemy, herbalism, and magic for their sciences, it was hard to disprove an ascended status. However, this did not answer Zurg's question about where his soul would end up, did it?

"If one has decided to denounce all gods, Their spirit will become estranged upon the material plane with nowhere to go upon their demise. Of course, there is the option to perhaps become a Lich and exist forever, but such practices are frowned upon. Thus, the soul will be caught between the material and meta, a ghost to haunt the land until they seek the help of a priest or the beings that prey upon these wayward spirits claim them." He explained evenly. It was likely not the answer Zurg would like to hear, but it was an honest one. Life upon the material plane was not so cut and dry as the world the monarch had originated from, alas.

Moving on, the monarch's rank as Grace was rather all encompassing, in fact it could be said he owned the planet that he ruled. Even if it was for the sake of a custodial position. However, it was pleasing to hear that the alien did indeed earn his rank instead of having it just tossed into his lap like so many other mortal monarchs. "Interesting. I cannot say it is the same for my people, however. I had been... picked for the leadership of my people at a young age, and was tutored until I was capable of leading them competently." The prince gave a small chuckle at that. "During my tutelage, all three of the demonic races had managed to hold a treaty of peace until my learning had finished." Of course, the breach of peace was a little more complicated than he explained, but that could be a story for another time.

For now the demon prince continued his ministrations, red claws carving in runes with a precise sureness of a master. Of course the monarch became curious as would a broodling, and thus asked what it was. "I am making a means of easing your challenges concerning your fire breathing." He replied, before carving out a wide circle upon the cooling obsidian to frame the smaller runes within. More and more he carved and traced with a heated talon, until there ere two definite runic circles, connected by straight lines flanked by complex runes along each side. Despite his busywork, the demon was not oblivious to Zurg's own efforts behind him as he listened to the younger demon pace around the stone he had set out for him to practice upon. Before long there was a sudden deep inhale and soon after--

Fwoomph!

A yellow-white blaze plumed from Zurg's maw in a small torrent, hot but not enough so to incinerate the rock completely like the prince had done. Instead, the monarch had managed to burn a man-sized tunnel into the boulder that ran halfway through.

Looking up from his work, Prixlezub got ot his feet and lumbered over to see Zurg's handiwork. "Very good, although I could hear from your breathing that this attempt was rather... Laborious." He noted, appraising the stone as it slowly cooled from an angry, hot orange. "Come, my work is ready for us to use." He offered, walking around to the now cooled plane of obsidian that covered a good ten feet or so of tundra. "Stand on the receiving end, the smaller circle." He instructed, as he stood before the larger, more intricate portion of the massive rune. "This is for the method of a memory transfer, it is effective and accurate, but it can leave something of a shock even with the dampening seals I have placed. However, I advice you remain relaxed, bracing yourself against the process tends to leave... Adverse effects." He explained. Of course, the demon would be daft to not realize that this all may sound rather daunting to one such as Zurg. Thankfully, it was not the end all be all. "Or, you may continue to try and master your flame on your own. I offer this alternative so you may not need to be so dependent upon my aid." He added slowly. In the jungle, there was not much room for error within its expansive and savage wilds, and the prince did not wish to have his charge taken off guard.

The monarch had certainly given a very good first attempt at fire breathing, but like most broodlings when it came to expelling flame without the aid of the mother's memory, the consistency of being able to produce said flame tended to be rather fickle.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 pm

"Mm, can't say that we were," Zurg answered. Vastly superior resources in another universe over? He honestly didn't see a reason for his people to acquire them. What for, when they were perfectly content in their neck of the woods? "It was one of our time-worn tenets to leave things be; to not upset the natural balance of things. We were content with what had been given to us." Which, of course, was not always true in the beginning of their proud lineage...

Prixlezub wrote:"But what makes an atom? As I had said, the rules that apply here may not apply in other dimensions."

Philosophical question detected, captain.

The monarch, not able to resist a cheeky remark, looked up at the demon prince and rumbled, "Well, an atom is comprised of protons, neutrons, and electrons. They can form bonds and make up everything that can be seen and touched. Though, not all matter in the universe is formed by atoms." Probably not the answer Prixlezub had been seeking, so Zurg decided to ease into the demon prince's real question. "If it's made up of matter, it's either by atoms or something else that has yet to be discovered. Maybe even understood by modern science! Take dark matter, for example. Not many civilizations know how to classify it, let alone develop instruments to render it visible." But those were all details that need not be addressed today. "However, that does beg the question of whether or not Portal Breach is built upon this universal principle. I have oftentimes heard that Gamma-X is a digital world - makes sense, given how the laws of physics are so easily manipulated. So, then... does that mean there are atoms to speak of, or does it mean that Portal Breach merely emulates them?"

The thought was set aside when Prixlezub inquired about Zurg's lovely weapons comment. "Oh, don't get me wrong," he chuckled, tailblade leisurely swinging to-and-fro. "We built weapons to first combat ourselves, due to my people's annoying idolization of bloodlines. But when those ultimately proved more harmful than good for the greater whole, we instead considered offensive weaponry to one day combat unsuspecting invaders or travelers who might have encroached upon our territory. We prepared ourselves for rainy days, essentially."

Ah, the material plane... A plane apparently bound to the dark ages. Zurg huffed, a curt snort of black smoke escaping his grill. "I've never heard of these things back home." Deities, as in actual deities, and evident signs of a god's whimsical desires came off as ridiculous to him. The monarch's galaxy had been quite secular, though he was aware of superstition and the more, as he put it, backwards beliefs.

Just another thing Portal Breach surprised him with, he supposed.

"Then I would have become an all-powerful Lich and struck those gods down," decided the alien. He will never bow before some deity, pledging both his time and soul for their own fickle agendas. Arrogant of him, maybe. But he would rather have freewill than be something's whipping boy. "I would have become so powerful as to make my own rules, to pit god against god and to make it clear that their meddling is not to be tolerated. Or, at least, that I want nothing to do with them so long as they push for my servitude." Zurg could perhaps coexist with them, but it all depended on if the god respect both him and his decrees. If not, the result ought to be fairly obvious. "So you weren't given the title of 'prince' through birthright alone? Huh, I would have never guessed." Then again, the title of 'prince' could mean more than just the settler explanation for it. The same as how 'Your Grace' was more alike to something of a lower rank in settler terminology of their royalty. "There was also a treaty in place during my upbringing, but it wasn't so much as a written document. Or even a document, really." And at that, Zurg glanced at Prixlezub and grinned, "It was me~!" What a terrible thing, too!

Prixlezub wrote:"I am making a means of easing your challenges concerning your fire breathing."

That sounded like the demon prince was going to assist Zurg in his fire-breathing.

Unacceptable!

The monarch eyed Prixlezub's memory rune warily, his many eyes looking down upon the intricate carvings with mild disdain. Bah, he didn't need help from schmagic magic! Zurg idly tossed his mane and was more inclined to work on his fire all by his lonesome. "I'll only lean upon the memory transfer as a means of last resort," he said, plodding back over to his training stone. Look at that silly thing, now having a molten hole in its middle like an earthen donut... Mindful of his manners, the monarch looked over one of his brawny shoulders and puffed. "Thank you for the choice, though. I might need it if things keep going pear-shaped." Right, then! Time to earn his stripes and not look like a hopeless failure.

His backed turned to the demon prince and his tail-end wiggling, Zurg concentrated on drawing a more relaxed breath. Here goes nothing! The alien reared back his head with a crackling snarl, ripples of heat roiling out from his maw, and tried again.

FwooooOOOOOOSH!

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 pm

The member 'Zurg' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

'Coin Flip' :
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 46

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 am

Uninterested in resources aside from their own planet, even those that were perhaps far better than what X'urghtung could offer, Zurg's people truly were a detached. Unsurprising given their previously stated technological might. Whether for hurting or for helping, it was best they stayed to the sidelines and let the cosmos play out before them. However, that did not keep the prince from wondering how their people would react once their planet had run out of resources to process. Although, with how Zurg spoke of his people's ability in such a excelling light, perhaps they merely kept reusing and refining materials so they could be reused over and over.

Much like a farmer cultivating weed crops to till under to make the soil more fertile, so to did Zurg's people perhaps have their means of keeping X'urghtung alive and healthy. Though not exactly happy as Zurg had mentioned earlier on.

Moving on, the monarch decided to humor Prixlezub as to what an atom was. Hardly minding a lesson in the sciences, the prince was glad to listen as he explained. The more the ex-evil emperor elaborated however, the more questions he had. Protons, electrons, neutrons... These seemed to be commonplace words to what was but a broodling at his side, yet the demon was unfamiliar with them. Likely if the material plane had grown past its archaic ways he could be more familiar with these terms, but such was not the case. However, the demon prince could grasp a few odds and ends of this new information. Atoms made up matter, but matter was not always made up of atoms... A slightly complicated topic to be sure, but then again it made up all things that could be seen and touched. That which could be seen or touched may not be made up of atoms, or so was how the prince deduced. Though where Zurg had said there may be building blocks that science has not discovered yet, he gave a nod of his horned head. "That is what I mean, Zurg. Perhaps there are things that have simply not been discovered yet, not to mention these principles are made to apply to a single universe. Certainly there may be others like your universe that follow these laws, but as much as there are universes that can follow the same laws, there can be universes that do not." He replied, growing silent as he went on to describe the complex thing that was dark matter. Much like this mysterious element, Gamma-X was also an oddity in itself, possibly digital given all that occurs within it. The world refreshing at will, people disappearing into lines of 1's and 0's called code. Even the virus that infected Portal X had been digital in itself, a computer program that wished to bring on the destruction of Alpha, only to find out that he was far more powerful than they assumed. Of course, the prince being a simple fellow that he was, held not much knowledge in these areas of study. Thus, until Zurg brought up this possibility, he believed that such works were merely the display of a deity's ascended powers.

Although it was never too late to learn, especially if it gave a better understanding of this particular dimension. Likely similar to this mysterious dark matter, Zurg's people may likely be able to classify it in time if they had not already. After all, what was the point of observing if one made no effort to understand what they were looking at? Regardless, the demon was silent for a moment before making an attempt to answer Zurg's possible rhetoric. "I would not know. I have but only learned of atoms moments ago at your speech and a digital world is an equally alien concept." He responded genuinely.

Moving on, Zurg returned to the topic of his kin's weaponry, of course they had built weapons to combat each other, before coming to an understanding that fighting did more harm than good. Admittedly, they were beyond even his ancient people, in that regard. Despite this, it was not so much due to a learning curve than it was an inherent nature to their being. A people brought up and hardened through the trials and tribulations of constant war. Although his kin's wars were not so much over bloodlines as they were over factions and slights of eons past. "I see. So your kin had not decided to observe the universe until later on." He evenly stated. For the best, as rainy days were inevitable regardless of whether they were real or theoretical. "Given your galaxy's people were rather... volatile, I can see why you would wish to prepare."

It was unsurprising that the alien had not heard of true deities, that existed on the same plane as their creations. A man of science like himself would not bother with superstitious beliefs, and when faced with them he readily wished to strike them down. At the mention of becoming an all powerful Lich however, the prince could not help but give a rumbling chuckle, the thawed permafrost at his feet shuddering with his amusement. "A worthy ambition, but there were reasons why Lich's were looked down upon instead of viewed in awe like the celestial beings so many worshiped and served. There are deities that despise the undead, and in becoming a Lich you would be considered a dark servant of a deity of the umbra and death, or if you grew to be enough of a nuisance a neighboring kingdom would call upon the aid of a deity's chosen champion. Likely the Lord of Light Herathgar, Alials the ten-winged Goddess, or perhaps Chryslirrbog, the first bringer of life himself. They were the most active against those that breached the bounds of life and death." These names, while certainly grand in their titles were hardly spoken in reverence, but the last was spoken as if the name was bile upon the prince's tongue. "Merely because one is granted eternal life, existing between life and death, does not necessarily mean they are invincible. The deities upon the Material Plane would easily outrank you in terms of power. However..." The demon pondered for a moment, a glint of what could be considered mischief crossing over the glassy panel that covered his eyes. "Should you perhaps find a way to turn the tables, as it were, I would not mind seeing them flounder at a lone Lich who managed to gain the upper hand against them, and watch as their creations panic and scramble upon seeing their creators destroyed." Another reverberating chuckle rippled from the demon's expansive breast, smoke curling in thick plumes from his grill and maw at every puff.

Ah, how amusing indeed.

A final amused puff curled from the towering demon's grill, shaking his head at Zurg's deduction. "Hardly, until I was ready for my duties as the leader of my kin, there was council of eleven generals who oversaw Automotive Hell. Once my tutoring was over with and I had become mature enough to take over, they became my trusted advisers alongside their rank as generals." He explained. As Zurg went on to explain the treaty regarding him, the prince was mildly surprised to find that the monarch was a treaty in himself. "Interesting, I take it this treaty has to do with your earlier talk of blood feuds?" If his people had started out waging wars against each other for the sake of which race was better, such foundations tended to run deep in their history and thus in their mindsets. Even if they took a vow of peace towards one another, it was but a mere treaty and not a rule that would change a mindset brought on through many generations. Of course, to his kind they also had their rivalries between birthroles and elements, which was more superior than the other. For a moment he began to wonder before adding. "I take it your parents were of two opposing bloodlines." His kind were not so different in that different birthroles and elements would sometimes crossbreed, but it was hardly to make a point.

Much like how Zurg had decided to make a point of wishing to learn to master his element all by his lonesome. Disdainfully looking over the runes and giving a rather sassy toss of his mane at the prospect, it appeared the alien turned demon would have none of the prince's aid. His determination was commendable, although the demon thoughts still lingered. If perhaps the first breath was a fluke and the smaller demon was indeed unable to breathe fire without assistance, it would make things slightly complicated. Despite this, Zurg was content to use Prixlezub's methods as a last resort, to which the demon would respect. "Very well." He replied as Zurg glanced over his shoulder.

Observing the younger demon as he stepped up to the boulder once more, Prixlezub took note as heat began to ripple about his toothy maw, before another stream of flame erupted from his maw. Much to the demon's relief, as he admittedly was hesitant to subject Zurg to memory transfer as well. "Good form." He rumbled approvingly, "Continue and you may be mastering your flame by the end of our travel."

As for the boulder, it now had a second, albeit wider hole burned through it. Glowing white hot and melting in on itself, Zurg would be able to see straight through his practice target before the man-sized hole dripped closed.

Zurg has passed Camp Burn-Burn! He may take another turn to have some fun with his newfound ability before they move on.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:07 pm

"Hmm..." Universes that followed the common laws of physics, but also universes that did not? It made sense to him, given that possibilities could be truly infinite if there are infinite universes. More surprising was the fact that Prixlezub, as great and powerful as he is, hadn't been informed as to what atoms were. This was of course due to the demon prince hailing from a plane of existence that delved in magics and other arcane schools of practice. "Our positions are the same, only reversed," the smaller monarch chuckled. "You know much more about magics than I do about sciences. How complementary!" There were those who said that magic and science were one and the same, or two halves of an incomplete equation, but how could this be? Zurg's universe had no true magic, whereas Prixlezub's had relied upon it. "That is perhaps for the best. I would hate to imagine either of our peoples being capable of wielding science and magic simultaneously." All the untold horrors and acts of mercy that which their universes had never seen... let alone dared to dream!

Though, it was quite amusing to imagine a carmorph demon of Prixlezub's girth and stature carrying several nuclear warheads around their muscled belly. Why stop there? Add mounted machine guns and rapid-fire plasma cannons, too! HEAT-SEEKING MISSILES. Oops, Zurg was slightly drooling...

He wiped his heated maw with the back of a clawed hand and paid attention. "That is correct," he nodded. "No point in blowing ourselves to smithereens when there's an entire galaxy eager to do it. Some civilizations were more peaceful than others, but you already know that any cornered animal will turn upon its harasser." If push came to shove, even the Rhizomians would resort to what they called defensive weaponry. Funny how a few choice words changed everything.

"A worthy ambition, but there were reasons why Lich's were looked down upon instead of viewed in awe like the celestial beings so many worshiped and served. There are deities that despise the undead, and in becoming a Lich you would be considered a dark servant of a deity of the umbra and death, or if you grew to be enough of a nuisance a neighboring kingdom would call upon the aid of a deity's chosen champion. Likely the Lord of Light Herathgar, Alials the ten-winged Goddess, or perhaps Chryslirrbog, the first bringer of life himself. They were the most active against those that breached the bounds of life and death."

"Bah, that's not fair," Zurg grunted.

How come he would have to be punished, simply because he didn't believe in a god or swear fealty to one? That was his right alone, the nature of free will itself! "I do not care for the undead myself, but I would rather linger betwixt the two realms than to be some deity's plaything. The very notion is revolting!" The monarch had no clue what those names were, or why they were given so much weight, but in them he found a new-found spark; a challenge. The corners of his heavy lips curled upwards into a fanged smile, Zurg's claws sinking themselves into the earth and creating bubbling pools. "Let them try and destroy me," he spoke. "I fear not gods, devils, or mortals. I choose my path, destiny mine and mine alone to confront, and I shall not kowtow to those who believe it owed. If this bothers a deity so much as to seek my demise, so be it. I will thoroughly enjoy claiming their throne in whatever heaven or hell they covet." Ambitious of the little monarch, but Zurg had never been one to be content with the bare minimum whenever it concerned goals or plans. His arrogance was of course his own doing at times, but the man sure had gumption.

"So they were regents." The eleven generals, that was. Zurg's people had no use for such a rank, but he realized that other civilizations did. "A system with well intentions, but that heavily places emphasis on a regent being a good influence on the up-and-coming monarch. Eleven generals, eleven chances to interfere with your tutelage and instead achieve their own ulterior motives." After all, were not carmorph demons war-like and vindictive?

Bloodlines, feuds - all petty reasons to instigate a civil war. Zurg waved one of his hands dismissively, but not in regards to Prixlezub or his words. "Blood is thicker than water, they say. What you are determines everything. Allegiances, enemies, social ranking, limitations... the list could go on forever. And if not blood alone, then your family lineage. We carry grudges too, and ours are forever entombed within documented histories. If someone in your lineage brought shame ten generations ago, do not expect for others to have forgotten why your ancestor earned this black mark." Ugh, dreadfully archaic! "Yes, yes... My parents were of two different bloodlines - idealists, I call them. They should have known better that our people simply weren't ready for a half-breed. But, what can you do? It's not like I had a choice in anything..." If he had his way, Zurg would have rather been born into a family of artisans. North, south, equator; it didn't matter. He simply wanted to roam and bring his craft to everyone, a free spirit that answered only to the earth and sky.

There was a recurring theme beginning to show... In any event, the boulder!

A delighted snarl erupted from Zurg's throat and he at once clawed his way atop the beaten stone, talons carving white-hot marks into its resilient surface. He carried himself as far as he could possibly muster and once there, satisfied, the monarch proceeded to loaf upon it. Like a large feline pleased with its hunt, Zurg enjoyed this moment. "Let it be known that I, Zurg, have successfully passed the trial of fire and have now claimed this stone to be mine." Which... mattered very little, as the monarch's body heat began to steadily melt his trophy. No matter! Even as he eyed Prixlezub from a waning height, the boulder turning into a molten puddle, Zurg refused to budge. "I am the Fire-Breather, breather of fire! Boulders quiver before me!"

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Yes, allow that to tumble about your mind, Zurg. While the demon may not be a scientific mind to the point where Zurg was, the idea of infinite possibilities in universes was not an alien concept. When one lived for so long as to outlast suns, peoples, even planets, it gave plenty of time to expand one's outlook on the world and what lay beyond it. However, the prince gave a thoughtful hum as the younger of their duo went on to state that they were compliemntary, Where science prevailed in Zurg's universe, the arcane was prevalent in Prixlezub's own. To answer Zurg's hypothetical, the prinace merely gave an amused rumble. While the monarch did not wish to imagine the possibility of a being wielding both the arcane and sciences, the two may as well be one and the same. "Magic is only magic to those that do not understand it. Otherwise the two may as well be interchangeable, as both suggest studious mastery over the framework of the world around you." Prixlezub mused. "However, there are some branches of the sciences that overlap between us. The studies of anatomy, weather, topography, geology, I am versed in for the tutelage and resources available at the time. As well I dabbled in botany, outside of my home plane of course. Those who are unenlightened to some of these concepts may consider one's mastery over their properties and teachings to be considered a sort of magic all their own." He continued, a thoughtful puff of thin grey smoke rolling from his grill. "It all depends on perspective."

Much like how the demon had found Zurg's orbital laser cannon at first to be a force of nature, perhaps even thinking the purple monarch to be a Acarramancer. Of course, 'Orbital Laser Cannon' was no spell he had ever heard of, and no amount of the arcane performed by mortals ever came from pushing a button on a remote. This of course, he learned a short while after acclimating to Portal Breach's rather advanced world and citizens. Although the addition of heat seeking missiles and plasma cannons would not be something the prince would scorn should Zurg offer them to him.

...Was that drool? The prince quirked a brow at the dribble of magma that began to make its way down Zurg's lip before it was wiped away. Apparently despite the monarch's statements, a being that could wield both science and magic was a fantasy that simply could not be passed up. Having been shaken from his daydream with further discussion of the nature of his universe. Indeed, even the most peaceful were not above defending themselves should they be attacked.

Oh, but the best was only just beginning, for when Zurg realized that his plans of becoming a Lich would not be met with passiveness, he certainly puffed a few good-sized smoke clouds. Along with bring up a few humorous hypocrisies. Ever respectful, the prince remained silent until Zurg finished his declaration of rebellion against the very gods themselves, although a small grin played at the edges of his own lips. "Yet you have been forced here against your will by a deity, who all the same keeps you here and only allows you to travel to other planes controlled by his ascended brethren. The very same who you showed outward hesitation and resentment towards meeting with but a few hours ago." He rumbled, amused. "I would say that if you held any vendetta against a celestial being, deity or god, you should likely look to the ones who imprison you currently. However, your AI had already made an example of them, even if his goals fell short in the end." The knowing grin upon Prixlezub's maw only grew a little wider at that. Ah, he had made a good choice in a rival, that was for sure. He knew very little others who would pick a fight with a deity and live, even if it was behind a puppet's facade.

Moving on, the topic turned back around to his generals, whom the monarch aptly called regents. "Yes, our civilization was a militant one. However, the only reason my generals allowed for the truce was due to their loyalty. Otherwise they would have forgone the agreement between the three races and went on to continue fighting while I was being tutored." Prixlezub explained. "You see, a majority of my tutelage did not lie with my own kin, but with the Locomotogephors and Aeronemnon. Of the three, they were granted the most scholarly insight, wherein my kin were gifted in the arcane but lacked their wisdom. I was away from my kin for over a millenia before I was allowed back with them." Therein, should there have been no truce, the prince likely would not have learned half of what he did, for better or worse. Regardless, the monarch's suspisions were correct, but pointed at the wrong party. "You will be surprised to hear it was not the generals who wished to groom me to their motives, but the subordinates beneath them, albeit unwittingly. My generals, while disciplined, could not control all that went on in the lower ranks." The broodlings, soldiers, cadets... They all had been born in a time when war was fresh on their minds, and thick on their lips. Little could be done to keep gossip and opinions repressed, however. Not that the generals cared, just so long as no one acted on them during the truce.

A vindictive and malicious race indeed, carmorph demons, but not without their discipline and pride that was held high above all else. Well, usually. Like any other being, there were exceptions to every rule.

Bloodlines, however... The feuding between those never changed. Even within his own ranks, the prince was well aware of feuding and rivalry between bloodlines. Acid, fire, lightning, even the bloodlines of different birth roles contended with each other to prove they were the best of their breed on the battlefield. Yes, I am well aware of this headache as well." The demon replied, "However, cross-breeding between birth roles in our society was not unheard of, in fact it was rather common. We did not wage war over such trivial matters as bloodline, but that did not stop my subordinates from forging rivalries over their ancestry. Usually it was friendly competition and back biting, but there have been...incidents." He stated evenly, observing as his charge went on to show his mastery over the boulder by climbing all over it. Whatever the demon had meant by incidents, he trusted the monarch to figure out what was meant. Regardless, it was unfortunate that the alien had been born as a tool to try and bring peace between two nations. "You have choices now, do you not?" The demon rumbled after a moment, turning to erase the runes that had been etched into the glassed tundra.

With a single puff of brilliant flame, the demon melted the intricate runes into a puddle of magma. They were no longer needed, as the monarch had successfully, as he called it, "passed his trial of fire". The demon gave a small chuckle at Zurg's boast, before beckoning him with a gesture of his horned head. "Come, Zurg. We still have much ground to cover before we near the land bridge." A fact that grew ever more prevalent as the sun began to climb in the sky, albeit unseen due to the thick cloud cover overhead. "This side of the ridge is easily traversed, upon the other side is the Mountains." He stated, already leaping up to climb the rock face, his claws digging deep into the stone and leaving boiling, angry red ruts in his wake. Every foothold he found, the demon used to push off lunge to the next, until he quickly clawed his way up to the top of the low ridge.

Certainly looked easy enough.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 pm

"Botany seen as magical?" Zurg repeated, his maw crinkling. Dubious, the monarch was not a fellow who readily accepted the notion that magic, no matter what flavour it came in, was interchangeable with science. Then again, the first time he had seen magic was during the very early days of Portal Breach itself. It wasn't a very... logical time, and his opinion of the arcane had been severely tainted because of it.  

"Yet you have been forced here against your will by a deity, who all the same keeps you here and only allows you to travel to other planes controlled by his ascended brethren. The very same who you showed outward hesitation and resentment towards meeting with but a few hours ago. I would say that if you held any vendetta against a celestial being, deity or god, you should likely look to the ones who imprison you currently. However, your AI had already made an example of them, even if his goals fell short in the end."

The monarch huffed at that, his tail curling around his legs protectively. "I am not afraid to defy both god and devil," he stated, tone level and resolute. "If I have to move the heavens, I will. The same as how I will eradicate an entire universe in a bid to make things as they should be." Truth be told, he had expected at least someone to see through his ruse. After all, who had programmed SIR right down to his very core? One could argue that SIR had been left to discover its identity for itself only for so long...

Zurg looked away from Prixlezub's knowing gaze and instead directed his many eyes to the stars, to the Cosmos that were as fulfilling as they were empty. Space had always been a familiar territory, one he could rightfully call home... "I do not mind Portal-X," he spoke quietly. It was true; the Portal Deity and the monarch were not always at a complete understanding. The former was well within his reason to completely obliterate the latter, and yet... he hadn't. Zurg could never fathom why, only that Portal-X was a being of his word and truly did believe in balance. "He is a strange one, and not always agreeable, but he keeps his word and he has shown to care for us. It's not like he wanted any of this to happen." In fact, it was almost as if Portal-X had wished for his "father", if Portal-Alpha could indeed be called as such, to be challenged. The monarch lowered his eyes to the earth, their intensity seeming to dim. "He is doing the best, I know he is. Things are just... complicated, that's all." And really, Zurg should be grateful. If Portal-X had not chosen him, where would the alien have gone? Worse yet, what would have happened if Zurg remained behind and was subsequently destroyed in the Cataclysm?

Without the Portal Deity's divine intervention and whimsical nature, Zurg would also have been stripped of one very important thing: his friends. And not only his friends, but Jo. He would have never met them, for better or worse...

"So they were loyal to you, is that right?" The monarch's attention was thrust back into the present, and he gave Prixlezub the respect he was owed. "So you were taught the better of all three worlds. A smart tactic, though peace between this warring triad doesn't sound like it can be solved with mere diplomacy alone." Militant civilizations demanded obedience, not a truce. And was it truly the wrong party? The monarch listened and calmly added, "Underlings or not, those in positions of power have a duty and responsibility to control their subordinates. This is, of course, how I was raised." Was it not competent to be aware of what one's charges were doing? "A rebellious cog in the machine has no business being put to use; ergo, it is to be removed." Zurg's people were not one to suffer a meddling instigator, nor were they avid fans of conspiracies.

Should one challenge the government and disrupt the harmony of their ways, there will be a judgement cast down like no other.

Ah, incidents... Zurg did not ask for clarification and let that one simply be.

"Choices? I suppose so," he replied, content to sit proudly atop his molten throne. "Though nothing is really a choice here, is it? Take, for example, Portal Breach's catastrophes. We may agree that we do not have to participate in the disasters that plague this realm, but we know deep down that we do. If we do not, there wouldn't be a world to happily coexist upon, would there?" The monarch gave it some more thought, his snout aglow with crackling embers, and he quietly hummed. "But, I also suppose, we have dominion over the lesser choices - like this one," Zurg reasoned. Prixlezub was not compelled to agree with this request, and Zurg was not compelled to ask it. It was completely mutual.

Alas, one could not admire their trophy forever. Zurg leaped from his "kill" when it came time to trek forward, the smaller of the two carmorph demon following in Prixlezub's bubbling wake and carefully studying his movements. It was dreadfully hard to be graceful when one was the size of several buses. "I shall follow where you lead," he said, climbing and jumping from stone to stone.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:35 am

"You could be surprised at how closed minded mortals can be, Zurg." He replied to the onarch's dubious statement. "In a land where deities are quite present and active, one may decide to forego the more respectable medical methods for a higher power's blessing instead." Not that it was always granted. Thinking that a god would devote their time to smaller things like a single person's ailment was not only highly arrogant, but also single minded. Of course, it was only very few who received a blessing, usually those who were extremely ill through a curse or perceived to be very important or esteemed by that particular god. "It is more dependable to rely on a mere plant than the whim of a deity." He opined with a plume of think smoke curling from his grill.

Oho, and look who was getting all huffy. All too knowing that he had managed to see through the monarch's prior planning, Prixlezub only gave an idle swish of his tail as he listened. So defiant, so rebellious... the monarch would have been quite an entertaining specimen to let loose upon the Material Plane if he held the opportunity. Alas, the prince knew all too well what would happen. in the monarch's bid to rid the world of any deity that would try to overcome his interests, he would inadvertently throw a wrench into the prince's plans for that plane just as quickly as he would remove them. "I would expect no less from my former rival." The demon replied respectfully. The monarch had proven himself countless times in the past to do just as he wished and succeed, there was little reason to think he would do any less regardless of who he faced.

As his charge looked up towards the heavens however, the demon prince could not help but glance up with him. All that could be seen even this far south of the Tundra was still quite overcast, but perhaps it was not something that the monarch could see that he focused on, but something he knew lingered beyond the cloud cover. Portal-X apparently from his next statement, could he be above them now, looking down on this chaotic, eternal world? Or perhaps he was further away, residing in the center of the universe like a greater deity instead of staying put on this particular planet. Regardless, the prince's gaze settled back on Zurg after his momentary musing, finding the monarch's words to be rather interesting. Despite his earlier boast of never bowing to a deity or showing them much favor, he apparently had come to an understanding about the portal deity. As the younger demon was his senior in terms of experience within Gamma-X, it was understandable that the sociable Evil Emperor got his fingers in the deity's pie as well, though likely in the interest of far more nefarious purposes than a simple getting to know the resident ruler of the Gamma. "I see." He rumbled in reply, thoughtful. "You say that he did not wish for any of this to happen, to strand us upon his realm. If there was a way to take down Alpha himself, I wonder if he would join us against his creator or simply give us the means to find him and break our shackles that bind us to these Gammas." Prixlezub mused to him. A hypothetical with a rather obvious answer.

His attention was drawn back to the matter of his generals, wherein the massive demon gave an agreeing hum. "You could say it was the better of three worlds, for the Aeronemnon and Locomotogephors taught me plenty. However, not all were so noble in their ideals. There was one tutor who fit his title all too well." He rumbled, reminiscent as he gave a low, rumbling chuckle at Zurg's apt observation. "Indeed, and he was one of the causes despite the agreements of his kin. Have I ever told you of Electriligos the Shadow Keeper?" He inquired, "The name is familiar to my ears, but falls alien upon my tongue when I speak of him to you." Of course, the younger monarch proved to be well versed in keeping his people in line, preserving the peace as it were. "My generals were well aware of what was going on within the ranks, they would have to be deaf and blind not to. However, their methods were soft, they were unwilling to use the tougher, harsher tactics that they needed. That changed once I took my place at the head." Certainly, there would always be a few rebellious types, but when insubordination was met with public execution, entire bloodlines slaughtered for all to see, it forced out the foolish and blunt and made room for something more cunning and ambitious. "However, my methods also were what inevitably brought forth the beginning of The Fallen." He admitted, My legions worked tirelessly to eradicate them, but with every time we slaughtered their legions, more deserters would only run out to fill their places. It was a never ending cycle that could not always be predicted or prevented." No matter how well a system could be planned, there were always slips and gaps that could be exploited.

The topic changed to subject of choices. Interesting topic that, "Mhm, like the events of Mr. Dark and others." He rumbled evenly. "I have yet to hear of an event upon this world that was preventable, many appear to materialize from thin air to wreak havoc and then return to nothingness upon their defeat." How many of these catastrophic events that Portal Breach withstood ever held a warning beforehand? So far many of these villains and their schemes may as well be fog and dust, for that is all they turn to once everything is said and done, never to be heard from again. An odd detail, given many others are more than happy to return from the pool on multiple occasions.

Patiently the prince waited until Zurg climbed up to the top of the ridge. There was little the prince could instruct in climbing, as learning footholds was something that one would figure out themselves in time. However, Zurg was a quick learner, as he kept proving to be as he followed suit and clambered up beside him. Turning the prince set his gaze out towards the horizon, the Boolean mountains looming ahead. Despite the distance, their peask towered above the small ridge so that their peaks were swallowed by the cloud cover above, leaving nothing but a massive wall of rock that stood between the frigid north and the wastelands. Even so, if Zurg were to look down, he would see that the permafrost was giving way to softer ground, decidedly more thawed than the tundra they just came from, but covered in short brown grasses interrupted by craggy rocks that stretched on across the patch of flat plains.

Not that the resident prey animals cared.

Shaggy, thick furred yaks grazed the sparse, coarse grasses, every so often raising their heads to see if there were any predators approaching their herd. Thankfully, the two demons were far enough away that the look outs mistook them for an odd fire on the ridge, and went back to eating. Should the younger demon feel a tad peckish, now would be the time for a snack.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:36 am

Eh, asking for a deity's blessing... Count him out! "Yes," Zurg nodded, "I agree that relying on plants for their medicinal properties is much more agreeable, and not to mention just plain... well, logical." At least the two monarchs could find common ground on this particular subject. And look at the Demon Prince, offering his rival a bit of praise. Zurg would have taken the bait, if he were his previous incarnation.

"You say that he did not wish for any of this to happen, to strand us upon his realm. If there was a way to take down Alpha himself, I wonder if he would join us against his creator or simply give us the means to find him and break our shackles that bind us to these Gammas."

A quiet huff of smoke roiled from Zurg's smoldering grill.

"You know, I used to think about all that..." he remarked, tone betwixt amusement and disdain. There was another toss of his mane, perhaps a subtle motion of defiance, before the smaller demon resumed, "And every time - every time - I realize that the affairs of whimsical gods is not something I should be burning my days with. It could be that Portal-X wishes to overthrow his "father" and assume the mantle, or it could be that he simply wishes to reverse the clock and set everything back to zero. It could even be neither, and we shall never have the answer." Ergo, the alien had stopped wondering what Portal-X would do, should he wrest absolute power from the all-consuming Portal-Alpha. He was ultimately powerless, as well as painfully insignificant, in the grand scheme of things. They all were.

Electriligos the Shadow Keeper... The monarch glanced up upon hearing such an exotic name, and it was one he had heard mentioned before. "I remember it," he answered. "You spoke of it once, when... ah, you had the unfortunate experience with the Lochlann Devil." No way of putting that one lightly. And with a name like Shadow Keeper, well... It wasn't terribly hard to figure out who was the black sheep in the family. "Generals with soft methods, eh? Can't say we've ever had this issue, though our "softer" authority figures could easily be seen as "harsh" by those in the Settler community."

Then again, X'rghthu had no real need for generals. But the Fallen?

"Mm, sounds... vaguely familiar," the alien remarked openly. He remembered all the stories passed around during a sleepover at Kev's, beneath the open sky; this is not what sounded vaguely familiar. Zurg raised a claw to his grill and lightly tapped at his snout. "Citizen disobedience, mistrust for authority, general intent to provoke an uprising... Ah, all the makings of a civil war! That's something I definitely remember." Nothing like a civil war to merit a good crackdown, along with all the headaches that come with it... "I'm not sure how we would have handled deserters, other than arresting them for trial or glassing them on whatever celestial body they sought as refuge." It was rare on X'rghthung to find someone willing enough, or stupid, to abandon the planet for supposedly greener pastures. And since there wasn't a national military or even a military... What could one possibly desert? "I suppose the closest equivalent we have to the Fallen would be heretics," added the monarch. "And they, as with everything else that threatened order, were swiftly dispatched withe extreme prejudice. Of course, that didn't always make for the nicest PR campaign..."

"I have yet to hear of an event upon this world that was preventable, many appear to materialize from thin air to wreak havoc and then return to nothingness upon their defeat."

Zurg gave it some thought, allowing Prixlezub's thundering words to echo within his head before responding. "Actually, I think that's right on the money," he remarked. Had there ever been a disaster that did not devolve into smoke and mirrors? None of them really had lasting effects, so... "If I had to think about it further, I'd say that the disasters leave more mental scars than they do physical. Little about Portal Breach has changed, save for its people." Could that be the point? Maybe, maybe... No one ever did realize why previous Big Bads had never returned, excluding the ever so insane Portal-Z.

A regular barrel of laughs, that one.

Alas, it was time to leave such discussion behind.

Up the craggy slopes did the two demons travel, a molten trail left in their wake. Mammoth spires loomed off in the distance and here the world seemed torn between the frozen wastes and the encroaching beginnings of verdant life. Not too far away, although much further if one were not a carmorph demon, were a pawful of grazing animals. Yaks, by the sound and smell of them. Zurg showed no interest in devouring them, however. His love belonged to the sea, and to the many wonderful gifts it provided. Yaks, on the other hand? He will have to respectfully decline. The monarch had never been one to enjoy dining on a meal that snapped and crunched on the way down.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:58 am

Agreeable, logical, call it what you will. The point was that depending on a god to devote time to every individual dilemma was just plain nonsensical. It was far better to deal with these sorts of issues on your own instead of relying on another to get them done for you. With both parties coming to an agreement, the prince merely gave an approving rumble before letting the topic lie.

Smoke plumed from Zurg's grill, the younger demon going on to give his own thoughts on the matter of the resident portal deity. Of course, the ever present question. When one takes over the highest power, do they merely take its place as their own being, or do they inevitably become what they had so sought to remove from existence? Perhaps it was both or neither, as the monarch brought up the possibility of setting the clock back to zero, removing them all from this world and back to their own realities, which brought up another question... "I have noticed that there have been hints that we may not even be ourselves anymore, the nature of how we die, how this world can be corrupted by an Artificial Intelligence, a computer program, and overthrow the resident deities to use as their avatar. In this I wonder, if the clock was indeed set back to zero, how would we be reversed from our adapted states?" He mused thoughtfully. "How could we be so sure that in being sent back we were not returned merely to another prison that appeared like home, given the power of the portal deities? Portal-X could claim he set the world back to zero, yet the moment one died they would see a flash of code, or after a catastrophic event your so-called home universe could reset after a catastrophic disaster." Food for thought, as they both knew how the world could change should an event crop up for the denizens of this world to participate in. Even if Portal-X wished to turn them back, it may be an impossibility as they knew little as to what powers beings like Alpha had, aside from pure destruction.

Prixlezub's thorny crown dipped in a nod when Zurg revealed he was rather familiar, if only due to unpleasant experiences. "Ah, yes. I had after all." He rumbled, as if pondering the memory. While what he had spoken of were only superficial details, the rest seemed rather obvious by title alone apparently. With a plume of light smoke from his grill, the prince went on. "He once was a mentor of mine, although his practices were looked down upon by many of the other locomotogephors, his lessons were some of the most long lived in terms of their usefulness." Manipulation, deception, the art of psychological terror... All were practices that brought one far if used correctly and competently. Of course, a being such as he hardly did such things for his own benefit. "However, he was also behind numerous coups, not only for the sake of my assassination, but also chaos and destruction within the the societies of the Aeronemnon and Locomotogephors." He stated, light plumes of smoke curling from his maw with every word as he stood atop the ridge. "The only reason he did not take advantage of his position as tutor to kill me, was due to how heavily supervised he was during that time." He finished, growing silent as Zurg went on about his own people. The monarch mentioning of Settlers piqued the demon's interest, as the man went on his budding question began to see something of a correlation between these settlers and some actions of the deserters.

Moving on to new different planets to live away from their kind, interacting with other races, that was the way of the typical settler or pilgrim as they were sometimes called. Heretics on the other hand, they were more reminiscent of The Fallen he had his kin had to deal with back on his plane. "I see." He rumbled, finding little reason to press further with his inquiry. The Settlers were likely killed off due to the fact they would know of the technology Zurg's kind had, and thus draw attention to their planet. Unwanted attention. Regardless, there was one acronym that the demon found puzzling. "What is this PR?" He asked, curious.

The only campaigning he knew of dealt with conquest and the ever effective exterminatus of the more annoying lesser races. If PR did not bode well when faced with such brutal effectiveness, what could it be and what good was it?

His thoughts turned again towards the topic of the events, along with their impact if only subtle. No scars were left upon the planet, not a crater or rift marring the land, the only changes that stayed were within the minds of the citizens, their mental landscapes forever upended and changed. Or so they tended to be, the less reflective beings were the ones who tended to take catastrophe better in stride. "So I have noticed as well..." His gaze lingered for a moment on the herd grazing off in the distance, a few of them giving a deep moo as they noticed the massive pyres upon the mountainside seemed to be moving like massive beasts. "Perhaps this is who it is meant to be? If the world keeps refreshing for the sake of keeping all who live upon it well and alive, history cannot be fully physical, but mental." He rumbled, before turning his gaze away and started his trek down the slope, which was more like a small series of leaps as he descended down to the foot of the ridge. "For this realm to be balanced, is it not expected for us to have times of strife as well as peace? Good and evil, chaos and order, they move about each other like the celestial bodies in the heavens, if only for the sake of experience within this Gamma." He mused thoughtfully as he turned about from his place below, the dry grasses instantly burning black at his touch. Thankfully despite the dead brown appearance the blades were too damp from the climate to catch aflame completely. Instead they burned only for as far as the prince's heated presence had sapped the ground of moisture, before they could no longer find a place to continue devouring the rest of the flat land.

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 pm

"Not ourselves anymore? Like... a digital copy of the real thing?" Cue the musical score from The Matrix. Zurg continued to give this subject additional thought, as he was wont to do, and eventually replied, "I'm not sure that we would be reversed, only our destroyed universes. If the clock were to be reset to zero, I'd imagine that we'd go back to the beginning, possessing of the knowledge that we have now, and continue our lives as they would have continued without the Portals' influence. In short, you would remember me and I would remember you. Everyone else in our home universes, however, would not." Well, except for Layla; though, she had perished and would most likely not return. He didn't mention her aloud for a very good reason. "Hmm... a digital copy of the real Zurg..." The monarch shrugged and didn't seem bothered by the possibility. "Maybe we're not real at all? Maybe our individual consciousnesses are stored somewhere, like a databank filled with information, and are replicated whenever we "die"? That our souls, if you were, are nothing more than 1s and 0s?"

And then he suddenly laughed, a hearty cloud of blackened smoke and ember leaving his mouth. "Ha ha ha! That means nothing truly matters; that we are simply existing solely to exist - to defy! Ah, that delicious irony this all makes... You know, it gives merit to the universe being a hologram and all that. Fascinating study; might have a few copies of the research back home."

Home, ah... Another prison or a place of refuge?

"Portal-X is a being of his word," Zurg spoke up, attempting to quash all skepticism. "Though I do not always agree with his humour, the Portal Deity isn't outright malicious like his other kin. He has shown, from time to time, a caring and considerate nature for us. I'm not sure if he views us as pets, necessarily... but I know that he does keep a vigilant eye." They had always been told that only another Portal Deity could freely travel from Gamma to Gamma. If one Portal Deity, like Portal-D for example, had wanted to breach Gamma-X's boundaries and screw around with its citizens, Portal-X would absolutely have known of it. After dealing with Portal-G and Portal-O during the Gamma War, Zurg was willing to bet an entire data disc that Portal-X no longer invited his brothers and sisters for afternoon teatime. They simply didn't know how to play nice.

Mm, mentor figures... Zurg never really liked them; it was hard placing trust in someone who may eventually betray it for their own gain. Then again, his people were not one for in-house wars and political deceit. Whatever for, when everyone was well documented and the law was as thorough as it was far-reaching?

"We all have to get our kicks somehow," the monarch supposed, in regards to the Shadow Keeper.

"What is this PR?"

Upon hearing this, Zurg's maw crinkled into a shit-eating grin. "Oh-ho..." Lesson time? Lesson time.

"PR," he began in a silky purr, weaving between Prixlezub's legs, "stands for public relations; the art, if you will, of an organization or government body communicating with the public. A wonderful, wonderful topic, mm~!" Little paws gently roamed over the demon prince's as the monarch proceeded to make a feline nuisance of himself. "The better PR, the better your devoted public will respond to your, aha, institutional desires. They will not resist as much, and your agenda will face less opposition. If you want to get things moving right along and if you've got a tight schedule, a positive PR rating is highly suggested. Of course..." Zurg eventually ceased bothering the demon prince and trotted off, tail slightly in the air. "I, being an Evil Emperor in the past, benefited more for a negative PR rating. Why?" He chuckled a smug chuckle. "Because evil empires aren't built on happiness and sunshine. Besides, I had a negative reputation to uphold. Don't want to appear too soft in front of the other scum and villainy, eh?" And listen to Prixlezub, hitting the nail right on its head.

Zurg laughed and followed down the slope. "Now you're speaking my language," he said, pausing upon a jutting rock. "There ain't much to Portal Breach when you stop to think about it. It's just a world that will refresh and continue to exist, no matter who attempts to destroy or change it. This world is indomitable, but we?" The pause in his words was intentional. "But we are the sources of this change - of embodied balance. It is we who determine the future of Portal Breach, of both its lands and its peoples. Without us, it would be as stagnant as a fifth grader's ant farm without the ants."

The smaller demon eventually landed upon the rough bushes and tried to avoid starting a premature wildfire.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:16 pm

A 'digital copy' was something the prince was not exactly familiar with, but he had the sense to know that the dead do not usually disappear in a flash of digits, nor did they return a week later, fully restored. "Yes, I would say we are not our original selves any longer." He agreed, his ground-shuddering rumble ceasing as Zurg went on to elaborate on the topic. Content to listen and ponder, Prixlezub observed as he went on to dictate that perhaps the world would be reset but they would not. They all would remember who they were and who they had met upon Portal Breach, save for the ones that did not arrive to this odd sanctuary. To think that perhaps this meant that their souls had been tampered with however, sent an uncharacteristic of chill down the massive demon's back.

If they no longer held a soul as the demon prince was familiar with, what were those life signatures and souls he was perceiving? They could no longer be one's life force if their souls were now only data within a machine. At the same time, energies both supernatural and non were but energy themselves... Could there truly be no difference between the two? "..Hmm." Yet it did not explain why he was unable to see the energy signatures of machines, despite the fact they too were bound to the same laws of this particular plane.

Sudden laughter broke his thoughts, the prince's gaze returning to the smaller demon as he recited the merit this all held to a particular theory. Holograms... The prince had come across them before, but not once had he considered that perhaps they actually were holograms. "If that is the case, I wonder then what constitutes as a hologram when you have utilized such devices in the past? How is it that we are more solid and complex than those effigies of light and energy?" He rumbled thoughtfully, the charred grass beneath his claws shuddering with each smoky breath.

The topic soon returned to Portal-X, who interestingly enough, was apparently not summoned at the mention of his name as he was prior. Perhaps it was more of a whim that decided his attention. Regardless, Zurg was correct in that the deity was not malicious towards the creatures that inhabited this planet, even if the ulterior motive behind their captivity within this gamma reeked of well executed manipulation. After all, who would be complacent with being captured and used as living fuel for a deity that ravenously devoured every universe it came across? No one, unless their captor knew how to keep the peace. "I would not be surprised if the deity saw us as such." He replied evenly, with a being as powerful as he, it would make sense he would see the ones that skittered about the planet like tiny insects as his pets. After all, he and Zurg were collected by him, not created.

Much like how a certain locomotogephor had seen those around him as his playthings. Indeed, everyone needed to get their kicks...

The prince's otherwise stoic gaze directed itself downwards as Zurg apparently found his amusement within his inquiry. For a brief moment, the demon pondered if perhaps this was something he had already known before, at least until he heard the low groans and screeches of metal grinding against metal as the smaller demon wound himself through his legs. Immediately his breath hitched and he fought the reflex to rear up and step away, instead his tail giving an irritated slash through the air. "Stop that." He uttered firmly. A single large paw raised to gently push him away, though whether he did not condone the behavior out of irritation or discomfort, he did not say. Though it was not enough to distract him from the definition that Zurg so clearly announced.

"This sounds more familiar." Prixlezub admitted. The name you had used for it was simply one I had not heard of prior." However, he had to give a small chuckle at the younger monarch's statements regarding negative PR, requiring an evil reputation to uphold to keep face among the other villains and scum of the galaxy. Of course, the demon saw the point within it. He too had been faced with a similar scenario, although it was not other villains per-say that he needed to keep a strong face around.

Upon having reached the bottom of the slope, Zurg decided to perch upon a large boulder, already the stone beginning to turn an angry red beneath his feet despite the short contact time with it. Certainly the citizens were beings of change, constantly tossing the world into its fits of struggle to retain peace and in a sense, balance. Although the demon had to take a small pause as the alien went on to use a rather interesting analogy for the world. "Indeed it would be quite stagnant without us." He concurred, before moving on to yet another curiosity. "However, I do not believe I have heard of an ant farm before." Or fifth graders for that matter.

Once the smaller demon abandoned his perch, the demon prince turned and began to trot off towards the looming peaks in the distance. By now of course, the hard of yaks had decided it would be best to not graze near a walking pyre and quickly ran off to pastures further down the valley.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:35 pm

"Those are basic holograms," Zurg explained. Oh boy, another physics lesson. He ought to start charging! "Holograms are typically comprised of light - photons and electromagnetic energies, essentially. And light, as we currently understand it, comes in wavelengths. Holography is merely the manipulation of these wavelengths in order to create three-dimensional objects. Now, should one have the means to do so and the technology, it's entirely possible to compress light so tightly, to reeeeally pack those photons in, that it can be felt. Or, well... physically interacted with." The monarch had to pause for a moment, stroking a claw against the rough metal hide of his chin. "I... suppose we did this, but for more practical applications. The math escapes me." An alien knowing alien things? Preposterous!

Zurg was as non-X'rghthu as they came. Two plus two equals four; simple, efficient, wonderful. Get your nasty alphabet out of his numbers - it's triggering!

"Stop that."

But cuddles, Prixlezubie!

The demon prince's paw was just enough to scoot Zurg away, though the monarch hardly minded. He more than happily trotted off after the larger demon and kept his distance respectful. "Everyone knows the concept of PR! They just don't realize it yet," he chuckled. Though, the monarch had a much harder time grasping the fact that Prixlezub - almighty and imposing Prixlezub - had never heard of an ant farm before. Zurg looked up and asked, "They don't have Hellfire ants on the Mechanical Plane of Hellfire?" They'd be downright terrifying. Same with Hellfire fifth graders.

He further hopped down a few boulders and snatched up smaller pieces of rocks along the way, bring his assortment of pebbles near Prixlezub's feet. Once there, he laid upon his stomach and enclosed the stones with both arms, preventing any and all escape. Not that the rocks would do such an awful thing, of course. They were obedient fellows! "An ant farm!" the alien exclaimed, lips tugging into another grin. Riiiight... Perhaps the lackluster display will fail to deliver its point? A small - "Hmm..." - escaped the demon's throat and Zurg glanced down at his rock babies. "Okay, well... See these rocks?" he inquired, looking back up. "Pretend these are ants, and that my arms serve as the glass enclosure of which they cannot bypass. They are essentially contained in an atmosphere of my choosing, since I am the creator and owner of this ant farm." Now, for the fifth graders. "People keep ant farms to admire them at work, to study their behaviour and perhaps marvel at their own... I don't know, higher status on the evolutionary food chain. Of course, ants are quite smart, so... Er! I'm rambling. Point is, we have the luxury of being outside the ant farm and we can observe the ants go about their daily lives. I can even destroy the ant farm and ants if I wanted." Get the picture, Prixlezub?

Zurg removed the rocks one by one until there was nothing left and his arms merely protected an empty space. "No more ants, no more studies. No more studies, no more metaphysical pondering. Just a boring, desolate ant farm that's taking up space and not being interesting."

Villain analogies, eh?

Finished with his little display, the alien rose back onto his four paws and was ready to resume their adventure.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Basic holograms... Interesting. So these holograms came in tiers of complexity, much like his kin's arcane abilities. In fact, such manipulations were reminiscent of the feats he could create while manipulating planar energies. Although it was not light or photons that his kind used when they manipulated their cloaking abilities. Therein, they were not essentially holograms. Regardless, it was quite fascinating that they could accomplish similar feats through different means. "I see." He rumbled thoughtfully. "I suppose these practical applications exceed that of mere holographic disguises?" He added soon after. The math Zurg's people used, even if it escaped the monarch currently, would sadly be incompatible with the demon's own methods of arithmetic.

Not all things were interchangeable across the dimensional divide, alas.

Thankfully Zurg scooted away from the prince's claws at his request and guidance, the larger demon no longer having to worry about either tripping over or stepping on the monarch as they climbed. He glanced back as he ensured Zurg's distance was respectful, smaller hooves clopping against stone and soon tough, icy ground as he trotted. A more lively contrast to the prince's longer, thundering strides. A small plume of light smoke curled from the prince's maw at his chuckle. Of course people knew of PR, like the monarch had said. However, the prince had never heard of it as an anagram instead of the full name. The confused tone Zurg's voice took once he found out the demon had never heard of an ant farm before on the other hand...

"No, we did not have Hellfire Ants." Prixlezub affirmed. "In fact, we had very little if not any insects upon my home plane. Those are completely unique to the Material Plane and this Gamma from what I can tell." He elaborated evenly as they continued trotting along, although his thundering pace slowed to a halt as Zurg ran ahead of him, grasping a few boulders and placing his claws around them. his blocky head tilted slightly, another smoky plume billowing out from his grill openings.

"Zurg, what are-?"

"An ant farm!"

Ah...

Prixlezub's expression settled upon something between a frown and a snarl, his six eyes looking over the odd display. Once the monarch went on to explain this odd gesture to visualize an ant farm, the demon's face began to soften. So, the ants were contained within a glass enclosure filled with dirt, for the sake of viewing their mannerisms? "Interesting." He rumbled offhandedly, still he got the gist of what the smaller demon meant. Without the citizens being housed within the Gamma, it would never change, there would be no events, no goings-on, nothing. There were what kept this place constantly changing in a world where the physical aspect was eternal. For a moment he wondered why Zurg had not simply said that instead of using some alien analogy pertaining to an animal he never heard of.

"I see now." He rumbled after moving on past that little hiccup in understanding. "This Gamma is the ant farm and we are the ants." He stated evenly, albeit slightly thoughtful as he pondered it out. A world of war was not exactly the kind of place that was suitable of recommended for keeping such things as domestic pets, kept for the sake of recreational relaxation or company. At the same time, when one was large enough to pull the weigh on their own with little help, there was not much need to even consign help from a lower species. Even so, he understood the interest that was shown by most mortals at keeping such things, even if they did tend to outlive the animal.

Fifth graders on the other hand, were still quite the mystery to the demon prince.

However, Prixlezub had little interest in learning about those at the moment, after all if mortals tended to keep ant farms, likely the fifth graders were mortal as well and thus were not a very enlightening topic. Once Zurg had gotten to his feet, the prince resumed his trot. Even so, after moving on from the topic of what an ant farm pertained to, the prince could not help but wonder as they kept moving along. "How smart are ants, exactly?' He asked as the looming mountains ahead drew nearer.

For all his time spent learning and studying upon the Material Plane, he had not been one to take the time to have a look at the smaller, more numerous creatures that lingered among the flora. Save for flies of course, the damned things were everywhere. In the villages, the fields, even the food.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:22 am