65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: This Thoom-Thoom has been Passed Down for Generations

Post by Zurg on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:38 am

An elegant name, oho...

Prixlezub's rumbling did wonders for the monarch's ribcage, the latter feeling as if he were resting chest-down upon a washing machine. "Well yes, endearing is certainly a word for it," Zurg concurred, albeit hesitantly. He had been partially facetious when coming up with the moniker... Still! If the demon prince was content with it, no feathers ruffled, then there was little reason to change a thing. Or, of course, to be entirely truthful. "Trade?" A welcome distraction, and one Zurg could answer with impunity. "Hm, we didn't trade with outside factions, no. Most of our materials came from our homeworld; rarely did we require anything else beyond the atmosphere." To clarify, the monarch's people were not many in number. Compared to the average human colony, which might have boasted close to a billion strong, X'rghthu would have struggled to reach such a lofty number. "Our technology was great - perhaps even too great - and my predecessors took whatever they pleased. Ergo, the generations after the offenders had much to atone for. Our, ah, difficulty with breeding ensured that resources were never truly scarce." A bit of cosmic irony, that.

Prixlezub wrote:"You mentioned only human and Rhizomian, had any other denizens of your universe heard it before them?"

Ah, a worthwhile question. This required more thought, countless decades of history and information forced to the very front of Zurg's mind, but he managed to find a suitable response. "I cannot begin to emphasize how rare it was to even stumble upon my people," he began. Hop, skip! The smaller demon was proving more agile by the passing hour. "Rhizomians, Raenoks, maybe a small contingent of Tangeans, settlers - what folks around here would call human, etc. There have been documented occasions where my people briefly revealed themselves to the outsiders. Such contact was strictly forbidden."

And there was actually a very good reason why.

"No doubt you are wondering why my people, for all of their technological might, diligently sought to remain hidden from curious worlds. The answer is rather simple: the galaxy wasn't ready for them." Or, perhaps, they had outgrown the galaxy. A normally arrogant thought, but it wasn't very far from the truth. "Once, my people thought to mingle and share their knowledge with others. Mistakes were made and we accidentally hyper-evolved a race of slobbering creatures into pretentious bigots with an incredible superiority complex. It wasn't a pleasant experience..." And it had been one that ultimately fueled the necessity for self-quarantine. "Another time, the Eighth Grace of the Ninth Age glassed an entire settler colony due to a small handful of separatists directly violating our intergalactic policies. My... father wasn't a very lenient man when it came to defying our laws and principles." A small sigh escaped the monarch, his shoulders feeling an unnatural heaviness for several moments. "I should have practiced his teaches and understood just how wise he was." Ah well, all in the past!

Prixlezub wrote:"I see, the extra gravitational pull must be strenuous on her. For what purpose were they added?"

Alas, this was an afternoon and a half. The demon prince will have to be satisfied with a more condensed version. "The second earth-child, or moon, was created in order to control her seasons; power over the elements themselves, you could say. We had shackled the first and used it foolishly, hence a second moon needed to return the world to balance." It had been a beneficial method of farming resources with minimal difficulties. "However, in order to make the second earth-child my people had to remove pieces of her body. You can... logically deduce how this went with Nana." Furious. Absolutely furious.

"It took a few generations to make, but my people created a moon with strength and craft alone. Ah, how naive they were... Two moons only created additional stress, not mitigated it, and soon a third moon was constructed in order to offset the second's adverse reactions. If you are perhaps wondering why the second moon was not outright destroyed or sent floating off into the vast reaches of space, it's because Nana would have positively flipped her cosmic biscuits. Well, I mean... she flipped them regardless, but it wouldn't make sense to rile her into a state of extreme rage!" Another sigh, more roiling plumes of thoughtful smoke. "Nothing but hubris," came his dry words. "We sat upon our throne as if we were gods, the power to create and the power to destroy blinding our purpose in the universe. If we so wanted, if we so dearly wanted, we could have set fire to the stars and ushered forth an era of wickedness like no other. I am grateful that we did not give into this temptation."

Even if Zurg had transgressed against their ways and lost himself in the process. Ah, but enough talk.

He looked to the demon prince, saying, "Thank you," and quietly awaited further instruction. Which, aha, only resulted in Prixlezub reaching over and pinching the underside of the smaller demon's neck. Apparently, the monarch was forever cursed to be nothing more than a loud noisemaker.

FWOOOOOSH!

The proper sound of a living flamethrower, wouldn't you agree?

"Ooh, fire!" Zurg excitedly remarked, his tail thumping up and down. To think that had come out of himself was nearly dizzying, but the man had experienced far stranger. Like being turned into a dying blob of magical goop, for example! Ugh, those were certainly the days... "What did you do? How come I didn't manage it on my first try?" Surely the monarch wouldn't have to pinch his neck whenever he wanted to blaze it up...

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 46

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Hesitation wrote:"Well yes, endearing is certainly a word for it,"

The smaller demon's tone piqued the prince's interest momentarily, had he not thought of it in the same manner? Or perhaps his reaction had not been as expected. As the larger of the two saw it, if he could call Zurg a Little Berry, being called a Big Flaming Red Truck could be taken well in stride. Especially given the more rugged nature of his kind...

So long as it was the monarch and the monarch only who was saying it. Anyone else of course would be roasted alive the moment the word left their lips, if they could begin to pronounce the language.

That aside, the demon's charge appeared more than happy to move onto the subject of trade. With his people having a low birth rate, materials did not go as scarce as they would have with the more virile races that likely inhabited the galaxy, humans for example. Even then it did not prevent them from taking what they pleased, plunderers of the galaxy until they became more enlightened to their potential. Mulling over this, Zurg gave another hop and a skip before he went on to explain that their people, even though powerful, were a great rarity to see around the universe and when they came in contact with others it was relatively brief. "My kin were similar. They were not so much forbidden to make contact with outside forces, but more that we had initially believed such a feat could only be achieved by a deity and therefore beyond our reach. At least until we were visited by a creature from the material plane that only possessed a base immortality." He rumbled thoughtfully in reply. "Afterwards of course I had ordered a squad of Weavers to be split off and devoted to study on the subject of travel between planes." The rest Zurg could likely figure out for himself.

In the meantime, the demon prince was content to allow his smaller companion explain why they had decided to hide themselves away from the galaxy. The answer... "As I expected." The prince replied. When it came to an enlightened species, while some liked to believe the rest of the creatures in their shared existence would also be of the same mind, usually they tended more towards violence and brash thinking. Pairing that with powerful technology of course would only spell disaster. Just as Zurg had explained not a second sooner. "Of course, they likely believed they were the sole reason of their superiority and gave no mind to who may have aided their swift growth and thus abused their gifts." He stated offhandedly. As Zurg went on, the prince gave a thoughtful rumble, not as quick to leap and hop about as he thundered through a thick drift of snow with little effort, the fluffy substance vaporizing with angry hiss on contact with his heated hide. "I wonder, why not rid the galaxy of their kind and reclaim what was given? If the eighth grace, your father, held no qualm about glassing over a planet due to forbidden contact with other planets what stayed his hand from destroying those who had abused what was given?" Essentially, righting a wrong before it grew too far out of control. Or perhaps, was he even aware that his people had a hand in creating the hubris blighted race?

A sigh escaped the smaller demon and Prixlezub glanced back, smoke jetting from his grill before stating, "We all make our mistakes. While not all of them can be made right, we can still own up to them and move on with but a bit more wisdom than we had before." He reassured.

In regards to the moons, the second one was made to offset the first, and the rid to offset the second. A blunderous run about that only would agitate the situation, if the demon had seen one. The only reason being to try and right the wrongs made by shackling and abusing the planet's first moon. Content to stay silent this time around, the demon prince listened as Zurg from the looks of things was allowing his people and their decisions, although not dictated by him, to weigh heavily upon his shoulders. Ah, but was that not the curse of a leader? Scepter and mantle carried not only the gleam of achievements and glory past but also the stains and weight of old blood and dishonorable mistakes. History, no matter how old, would remain just as vivid to those who had lived through it. Even if they had not seen the whole story. However, there was one small hypocrisy in the smaller demon's statement.

"Indeed, perhaps save for one." The demon rumbled, glancing to the monarch. If Zurg had become the Evil Emperor with all his people had to offer still at his fingertips, well, it did not take a genius to see where this path lead. The only thing that needed puzzling our was the What. What had pushed the young alien into donning the purple and red robes, the body armor that gleamed with polish? If his people were rare to find out in the galaxy, and those they came in contact with were indeed curious, what of those who were of a more ruthless curiosity... The monarch's apparent sobriety could not stem merely from the inability to uphold his father's doctrine, just as his mention of his people's destructive potential did not seem to be from one who suffered from inexperienced naivety. Each rule was upheld for a reason, and the prince was beginning to understand just why his people stayed hidden away, aside from taking advantage of their technology. "The galaxy was not as enchanting as one would imagine, was it?" He softly mentioned. Nothing laced with barbs or sharp edges, but more of an understanding, even if it were only budding.

Just as there were stars and planets beckoning to be visited and explored, there were also beings that hid in their shadows, the dark places where it grew and festered uninhibited.

With a plume of fire, the monarch had succeeded in breathing his first flame. Zurg thumped his tail and exclaimed excitedly at the sight, it was met with a pleased rumble from the larger of their duo. With that bit of pressure released, he likely would not have to worry about it for perhaps an hour or so. Of course, he had questions regarding the bit of magic the prince had pulled in aiding him. "You were not relaxed. Your body, from nose to tail was excited and therefore tense in anticipation." He replied methodically. "It is no fault of yours, some of our kind have trouble expelling their elements at first, especially if the memory of such an action had not been passed down through their bearers . We have come to learn of a few... Pressure points, to help alleviate the excess until one can manage on their own. You will find that more than a few of your abilities will require a certain amount of discipline before they can truly be mastered." His explanation given, the prince turned his gaze southward, breaking into a trot. Zurg likely would be able to puzzle out exactly why he was unable to master his abilities as readily as the average demon was wont to do.

Turning back to ensure Zurg was keeping up before rolling into a gallop, one more rumble booming to the wind; "Fret not, we will have plenty of time to practice once we get to the mountains." An assuring thought to keep in mind during their journey.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:30 am

"Ah, the study of inter-dimensional travel." Zurg didn't pretend to know a thing about it, personally. Like most of his people, he had grown up privileged; such advanced mathematics had already been understood by those well before him, machines and lightning-fast algorithms created in their stead. He of course new the basics, such as Point A must be connected to Point B and vice-versa. But, most importantly, the monarch knew which sequence of buttons to press and how often. "I was not there when my people discovered that our universe was just one of infinite possibilities. No one visited us, or somehow traipsed onto our world. It came through time and diligence." To be fair, the X'rghthu did not believe in gods or devils. Was not an advanced lifeform considered just that, a testament of unyielding evolutionary might? To give it an air of mysticism seemed odd to them, considering any empire or civilization could achieve a similar level of ascension if they were mindful enough.

That having been said, Portal Breach had certainly opened Zurg's mind. Prixlezub was a deity in all sense of the word, but there was a catch. The ring around his grill prevented the prince from embracing his destiny and thus he could not evolve. For now, Prixlezub was but a very tough and adamant mortal. "Mm, can't seem to recall anyone being granted immortality from my galaxy," the monarch said aloud. There was the case of Natron the Terrible, but that was more along the lines of suspended longevity. It was a curse more than anything else, and the space mummy would have eventually withered into dust.

Prixlezub wrote:"Of course, they likely believed they were the sole reason of their superiority and gave no mind to who may have aided their swift growth and thus abused their gifts."

"Alas," nodded Zurg. "They were known as the Chlorm and never for their hospitality. Once, they tried to kidnap various species from my galaxy and think to keep them in their "lesser lifeform" zoo. You know, to witness other species - intelligent species - in their supposed natural habitats. It was all very demeaning." That's one good thing about belonging to an elusive, long-forgotten species of alien: no one stuck you in a "lesser lifeform" zoo. And ah, Prixlezub asked a very logical question. It was also one that Zurg could not agree with. "Fortunately for us and the galaxy's patience, the Chlorm reside outside its borders. Very few are concerned with their existence." Now, to destroy them and correct previous mistakes?

A thoughtful hum bubbled from within the smaller demon's chest, tone and intensity significantly weaker compared to Prixlezub's. "My father, although a very magnanimous man in his own enigmatic ways, could not interfere. It was against our laws. After all, the Chlorm were in another galaxy over and ever since our first contact with them we have never again resumed interactions. They are a nuisance, yes. Or were. That is the extent of their meaning to us."

Plated gnats and nothing more.

"The Fourth Grace of the Third Age was the one responsible for fixing her mistake with the Chlorm. And, in fact, it was her who decreed the self-quarantine. It wasn't until fifty-nine Graces later that we began questioning her decision." Or, to be truthful, Zurg and a slim minority. "The reason my father glassed Kartoum, a small settler colony upon the fringes of Unfriendly Space, was because the separatists risked disclosing both our knowledge and our existence. Can you imagine, Prixlezub, if the more warring species, such as the Raenoks, somehow managed to get their claws on our technology?" The monarch visibly shuddered. "I know my faults and I will forever take them to bed with me every night, but we, as Graces, could never doom both ourselves and the galaxy with such destructive havoc. I don't agree with what my father had done, killing all those innocents simply because of interaction alone, but I can understand why. Our duty compels us regardless of personal beliefs or morals." And again, Prixlezub was indeed correct. Learning from one's mistakes is paramount to avoiding any future repetition. The smaller demon puffed and acknowledged his guardian's words. Everything seemed to be going splendidly until Prixlezub spoke next.

The Bittersweet Truth wrote:"Indeed, perhaps save for one. The galaxy was not as enchanting as one would imagine, was it?"

And so it was...

Ashamed, the monarch glanced away and stared out into the bleak nothingness surrounding them. "I... had made a lapse in judgement," he began quietly, considering his words with great care. "It happened long ago, but to you, a mere blink of your eyes. Nevertheless, it still happened. I am not proud of myself and my lack of willpower all those decades ago, yet there is nothing I can do that will make everything better. I can only accept reality for what it is and continue for... improvement, I suppose. To wear the mantle of Evil Emperor is to seal oneself to an abrupt and violent demise." And, thus, he had strove for personal change. Ah, but enough morose talk!

"Bearers?" Zurg repeated. Hmm, that was an odd choice. "Do you mean like demon mothers? Golly, the only things I inherited from my mother were her dainty ankles." And possibly wrists, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. In any event, yay! He could possibly master more abilities. On the downside, boo! He didn't have a demon mother to learn from. "Craters..." he grumbled, realizing his shitty hand. "Well, I guess you will have to be my demon mother for a while. At least for a week, Prixlezub. Do you think I will be able to work with magic? Hmm, then again... I had a rather bad experience with magic. New thought! If I work with magic, will you keep me from becoming a disgusting blob-creature?" Because that wasn't very fun... Talk, talk, talk. Zurg was abuzz with chatter and he eagerly resumed pace with the larger demon prince. One could say his leaps and bounds were even happy. "This is going to be a very exciting week, I can already tell!"

Just as the monarch had figured why some abilities were denied to him, Prixlezub ought to realize that Zurg's naive streak had never truly vanished.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:52 am

planar travel, inter-dimensional travel, both were one in the same albeit their discovery was not so similar. Zurg's people managed to find out the details through time and hard work, while Prixlezub's kin were made aware through a rude awakening. "Interesting, how successful were your kind in traveling to different dimensions, if I may ask?" He asked thoughtfully. Although he had never seen Zurg's kind through his travels, perhaps at some point in time and space their worlds would have met without the aid of Gamma X. Then again with Zurg's change to being an Evil Emperor and his interests in conquest over a galaxy, such a concept would be lucky to have ever been brought near to reality.

At the monarch's comment regarding immortality, the prince could not help but reply, "Immortality was nothing more than a means of denoting a low rank where I hail from." Prixlezub rumbled, though it may sound rather haughty, it was nothing more than simple fact. "Even the powers I had been granted upon my release from this form were paltry compared to the greater ranks. Beings that could create vast fields of stars in but an instant, planets, nebulae, even entire galaxies. All I have to my person and kin are an exclusion from the ever eroding waves of time." An impressive feat to any mortal that was subject to the finite existence of a mortal body, although unlike other immortals within this particular dimension however, the prince was not excluded from a fatal blow or wound.

At least not yet.

Chlorm was the name of the creatures who had abused their given gifts, even going so far as to... Make a zoo? "How garish." The larger of the two replied disdainfully. Even in all his years of ruling, lands and people defiled in the name of conquest and power... Never had he made a zoo that showcased creatures that were considered lesser. Subjugation or outright purging of a conquered land did well enough for him. Luckily, the Chlorm were outside of the galaxy that they decided to pluck their 'zoo attractions' from. Which only raised another question, "Even if they were outside of your galaxy's borders, they certainly must have caused a great headache within their own galaxy. I wonder why none there had thought to eradicate them, assuming these creatures had not already thrust their egotistical natures upon them?" He inquired thoughtfully. Zurg's father of course was also bound to the borders of their home galaxy, and therein made no move towards the Chlorm, although the demon found it interesting that while they had attempted to capture specimens from the other galaxy, they apparently had not made a move towards Zurg's home world from what the monarch mentioned. Even if he was part of a very elusive, rare breed of alien, being an Evil Emperor certainly garnered attention.

Perhaps the Chlorm simply found nothing of interest to be sought after on an angry, red ball of dust. However, if they were merely gnats, they certainly could be swatted at one's leisure he supposed.

Of course, likely due to his people questioning the decision of the fourth grace was how the incident with Kartoum came to be. With the risk of disclosing existence also came the risk of attracting beings who would be interested in their more dangerous technology. "I have already. Your galaxy would have become a massive fireball of destruction and pillaging from undisciplined use of your people's technology. If he had not glassed them, there would have been a likely chance they could have talked about this race of highly advanced beings and possibly where to find them. Secrets, my friend, are best kept by the dead or nonexistent." He replied as they continued onward. By now, their gallop through the icelands had brought them completely out of the snowstorm, although a dismal overcast sky still hung overhead. Beyond, the dark peaks of craggy rock that were the mountains could be made out, it only so slightly. Next to them the ocean still lapped at the sandy shore, the duo managing to pass by a few other examples of northern wildlife, including a few wayward polar bears.

Not that they were worth observing, as their ivory fur was merely a small blur as Prixlezub and his charge raced on by.

"We are coming close to the border." Prixlezub commented, "However these are not the mountains that separate this land from the desert quite yet." Regardless, this place would be a good area to stop and better acclimate the younger demon to his elemental abilities. In the meantime, Zurg's wince had been noticeable, even if it were only a glance and tentative silence. Lapses in judgement were not unfamiliar to the fiery behemoth, for what greater folly had he accomplished than meddling in the affairs of lesser creatures, seeking acceptance where none could be found? Surely the prince had not abused his power to claim vengeance upon the stars as Zurg had done, but his past motives were somewhat similar. However, at the monarch's morose defense the prince did not scowl or snarl, instead something more of a smile tugged at the corners of his maw, if only a little. "And you have grown out of such a destructive fate, alongside partial aid of a caring group. Out of your ashes you arose with a family, love, and support. Not many can boast such an achievement." He replied warmly. "Above all, you had chosen to put away the mantle. Only you could make that decision regardless of how many may urge you to do so." He reminded, already in making that one great step the purple alien had already been moving forward.

Speaking of which, the topic of bearers had been brought forth. "Our kind do not have motherly figures in the means of a nurturing being. All that a newly born demon learns comes from their development prior to birth, while they are still attached to their bearer. Much like nutrients are essential to growth, so is wisdom, and therein the bearer will share her memories with the broodling alongside her meals." He replied, although as he glanced back at Zurg's galloping hooves, he could not help but state, Your mothers ankles have not translated to this form, I'm afraid." Acting as the monarch's tutor in mastering his abilities would not be a problem, although the prince had to admit that he was not exactly the parenting type. Whatever Zurg learned, it would not come with much coddling if he failed or injured himself. Especially if he began crying, which hopefully would not happen during their trip. As for learning magic, however...

The prince took a small pause, thoughtful as he listened to Zurg's surprisingly naive mention of possibly becoming a blob monster. Regardless, such teachings, he would find, were beyond the mastering time of a mere week. "Magic for our kind does not come at the snap of one's fingers, as a mortal would say. Even for those who are adept at harnessing planar energies, it takes time to tap into them, months if not years of meditation and discipline. For you to be able to produce a small flicker of flame from your claw-tips it would take the entire passing of a season, and even then it would not be focused or honed for use." He replied slowly, gently. He allowed a moment of silence for that to sink in before he continued. "However, I can perform a transfer of energies. I can bestow upon you, if required, a cloak to hide yourself. Even your footprints and breath would leave only the faintest trace upon this world and so long as you are careful, your presence may as well be nonexistent to those who seek you." A simple offering, but useful should anything turn south during their journey or stay in the southern continent. "As well, there are plenty of interesting things you can learn that do not require the manipulation of planar energies." Prixlezub added encouragingly. By the end of this trek, his body would be a formidable weapon of war and he could char an unfortunate soul like no other. If everything goes accordingly, that is.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:08 am

"How successful?" Hmm, that was a very excellent question. As already stated, Zurg was an utter novice when it concerned dimensional-anything. Be it from one dimension beneath his own or a thousand layers in whichever direction arbitrarily decided, his grasp of the concept was strictly bound to what he had learned in school or personal tutoring. Ergo, the young monarch had only his people's vast and bizarre history to lean toward. "Well, if you count visiting other dimensions throughout the Ages and not having been brought to the brink of extinction due to gross curiosity, I'd say we were quite successful!" Atta' boy, Zurg. Never forget that healthy dose of optimism. "Of course, jumping between dimensional gateways is much easier with relatively smaller distances between point A to point B, but you get the, well, point."

And so immortality was no big deal... Huh, guess Prixlezub had quite the demanding friends list. "Creating all that matter sounds like one incredible headache," the monarch opined. Stars, planets, even galaxies; all of that required some inherent knowledge of how much matter to create and just where to put it. An ever-expanding universe, you know! Imagine an almighty deity's displeasure upon finding out that the galaxy they had created yesterday was soon to collide with one they had just birthed into existence.

Like he already thought, one universe-sized headache and no universe-sized pills to go along with it.

How garish, said the demon prince. "Eh, it's the Chlorm. That's really what you ought to expect from them." Zurg shrugged his demon shoulders, or tried to, before responding, "It's been theorized that the Chlorm are pariahs in their home galaxy. I mean, they certainly don't make for very good celestial neighbours. Too busy loving themselves, those narcissistic parasites." And a good thought as well, for the monarch was already going to address it. "So long as those exoskeleton-shedding buggers left me alone and respected Unfriendly Space, I had absolutely nothing to do with them. Besides, they thought I was some unknown anomaly and thus worth little in their zoological databases. Lucky for me, right?" And a little insulting, considering the fact that Zurg's people had been the ones responsible for the Chlorm's hyper-evolution. In any event, yes. The galaxy would have erupted into an interplanetary bloodbath, hence his father's harsh, but utilitarian, actions. Still didn't mean his son could agree with it, though...

"You're right, you're right... And my father was right, too." The galaxy was a dangerous place, filled with those who sought nothing more than to further their own personal gain or pleasures. Zurg had been a naive, sheltered alien and he shall never forget his lesson all those decades ago. "I guess I was never good at keeping secrets in my younger years," he remarked thoughtfully. Fiery eyes glanced upward to inspect the sky, Zurg noting how the world was draped in a gloomy overcast. Not too far away were the steep peaks of mountains, sharply contrasted by the flat surface of the dark-watered ocean.

Ah, polar bears... They were a bit distant from where they ought to be.

You know, you're a lot wiser than you look; for a big, flaming red truck wrote:"And you have grown out of such a destructive fate, alongside partial aid of a caring group. Out of your ashes you arose with a family, love, and support. Not many can boast such an achievement."

Zurg wasn't normally the touchy-feely type (he had been raised in a rather stale environment), but right then and there, at the cost of his dignity and appearances, the monarch wanted to weave his heated body against Prixlezub's legs and rumble. He of course did not, as that was just foolish, but he respected his friend's encouraging words all the same. Even caught the beginnings of a petite smile, too. "Again, you are right. I cannot find any rational argument within me that states otherwise. However..." There was always a dissenting thought. "However, I also feel as if I do not deserve such a generous fate. All the people I have harmed, all the families I have broken and obliterated... It feels... wrong, to some degree." In truth, Zurg felt guilty. Someone like him, so caught up in his hateful and destructive vices, should have been killed long ago. Long ago! But here he was, developing worthwhile bonds and having slowly transitioned into a reliable member of Portal Breach's community.

Only on a planet where worlds collide...

And so that's where a carmorph demon learned their knowledge. While still in their bearer's womb! Or, something like a womb. That naturally put Zurg at a great disadvantage. He glanced down at his ankles and quietly went, "Good." Never liked his joints much. No crying or wanting to be coddled here, either! He never had much of what while growing up or while living with Jo. Maybe from the cats if they were in a good mood, though...

Prixlezub wrote:"Magic for our kind does not come at the snap of one's fingers, as a mortal would say. Even for those who are adept at harnessing planar energies, it takes time to tap into them, months if not years of meditation and discipline. For you to be able to produce a small flicker of flame from your claw-tips it would take the entire passing of a season, and even then it would not be focused or honed for use."

Aww... but on the plus side, no becoming a blob monster!

"Ooh, a real cloak and dagger technique!" And therein began more tail-thumping, Zurg quite excited. This was all so strange, so new! And a great honour, as well. The monarch will do his hardest not to make a complete buffoon out of himself and Prixlezub's kind. "That's quite alright about the magic bits," he said, having made up his mind. "I'm really here to know more about you and your people; to see what you feel, to experience what you feel. Unlike most of my kind, I think that is a great method into deepening one's understanding of the universe all around them." Etc, etc. Zurg, while still very much naive in his own ways, had always been a curious fellow at heart. It's how he discovered his love for Kev's shit, after all! Mm, what he would do for a good piece of toast coated in his friend's fecal matter...

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:01 am

Optimism, always a good sign that one was confident in their abilities, or at least that they have not failed yet. Apparently Zurg's people had not come across anything that wished them ill will as of yet. Then again, with how advanced his race was, likely there were plenty of protocols that needed to be enforced when connecting with these outside realms. Not to mention they seemed to stick to shorter distances, likely realms that were closer to their own dimension from the sound of it. "Interesting." The prince rumbled, rather intrigued with this new discovery. "I wonder if your people have managed to meet any other lifeforms outside of your dimension, aside from this one?" Perhaps there were a few that they both managed to stumble across in their travels. If so, the demon wondered just how close he may have come to stumbling across Zurg's own plane of existence.

It was not so far fetched, given one deity could pluck them from their respective worlds and drop them here.

At the same time, it was evident that the monarch held little knowledge about the field, most likely due to not having done any traveling himself. Pity, there were so many things about other planes of existence that were worth experiencing firsthand. The demon broke away from his thoughts as he heard Zurg speak up again over the thunder of their passage.

Zurg wrote:"Creating all that matter sounds like one incredible headache,"

Think plumes of smoke rolled from the prince's grill as he idly pondered that while running. A headache? That statement alone was amusing enough for a chuckle to rumble forth. "Perhaps it would be, Zurg. However, there were those who held rank and power but used it to create order. The highest ranks just under the tenth tier kept the many celestial bodies from becoming one vibrant mess, same for those who were responsible for creating them." He replied. In a way those could be the universe-sized pills that went along with the cosmic headache.

However, such pills, no matter how powerful they may be, were out of the prince's reach for anything he could even begin to consider an ally.

Back on the subject of the ever-annoying Chlorm, Zurg replied rather nonchalantly about such mannerism before going onto the possibility that they may be the dominant species of their home galaxy. Woe to those who were not powerful enough to deal a decent backhand to their egotism. Thankfully the monarch never had to deal with the tiny plated pests, as they apparently had seen him as an anomaly. However, if that was the case, that could only mean... "So you were alone even before arriving here." The demon thought aloud, seeming distant for a moment. If Zurg had been the only one around when the Chlorm had invaded, and yet was obviously alive long enough to amass and construct the empire he held... How long was the ruler alone for, without kin? Even the prince, before his arrival here, had always been surrounded by his subjects; servants, family and creations all in one.

Now that he pondered it, there was never a time after his banishment that he did not have numerous kin to come back to. Although not all supported him, and if so usually it was out of fear. In a way this place could be similar to the fate Zurg had suffered, as aside from Layla, Prixlezub was the only one of his kind here. Yes, the prince could deal with loneliness, he had the discipline to realize pining and mourning would not bring anyone to this odd plane of existence. Yet...

The prince shook such thoughts from his mind. No, even if another were to arrive they would either be fearful or vengeful, and while the demon enjoyed a good challenge every now and again he would much rather remain alone than risk having to kill off another native of his plane. Or worse, enter into a never-ending cycle of struggle, death and rebirth over past histories. It was better this way, he decided.

Turning his attention back to his smaller charge, Zurg once again relented against the fact that at times, ruthlessness was actually mercy. Truly the dead were the greatest tomes of history, albeit adamant in reserving the knowledge that lay forever hidden within their bones. Leaving others to speculate they slowly fade to dust, taking their secrets with them. Regardless, the prince could not help but give a small chuckle at the monarch's comment. Indeed, the young were never ones that were adept in secrecy. "You are still young now." He pointed out amusedly.

In the meantime, the prince's statements must have struck another 'nail on the head' as mortals tended to say. With nothing to refute the fortune given to him, the smaller of the two demons admitted guilt, a feeling that he did not deserve this much care after all he had done. "Hm, look at out past, Zurg. We both dueled each other as rivals and threatened to destroy each other on numerous occasions... Yet, here we are. Running side by side as friends." Admitedly, that word still tasted rather odd upon his tongue, but that was hardly the point. "Neither of us are saints by any means, as you have obliterated and destroyed, so too have I. Yet there are those who see past this on some accounts and instead recognize some glimmer of what one could be instead of what they are, essentially the awareness that one is capable of second chance. Even with your prior history, you too must know that evil is not your birthright." He stated, the distant mountains growing ever closer with each passing moment. "Not to mention, this world is one that changes and at the same time remains fixed. After a while, all turn stagnant and in a sense can be viewed in a skewed sort of stasis and analysed. Likely if you had not arrived here and those that are close to you now were not given that chance to observe you closer than merely your appearance, they may not have been able to see past it and make the decisions that lead them to the present." Prixlezub reasoned, turning his gaze from the horizon slightly to look back down at Zurg.

"It may feel wrong, it may feel undeserved, but objectively it is the correct path for these events." Basically, the monarch would have gotten what was coming to him if he had remained distant, an enigma to all. However, such was not the case of mortals, they longed to grow closer to one another. In this desire, whatever facades were put in place inevitably fell.

Just under the thunder of their combined gait, the demon could hear just the smallest whisper. Good? Well, the prince never really thought having such dainty joints were truly beneficial, often wondering if Zurg's wrists would snap if he leaned on them the wrong way. Thus he could only silently agree with this sentiment, and listened as the royal went on to voice his enthusiasm for potentially becoming cloaked. Best to reel him in before the monarch got too far ahead of himself. "Make no mistake, the only reason we would ever need to go to such lengths is if we are required to hide ourselves from something beyond my ability that could threaten you. The cloak upon your form would last long enough for you to escape before it dissipated." And enough for the prince to successfully confuse and hopefully deal with the attacker.

Of course, the demon had expected Zurg to show respect during this brief time of being shifted. Though to hear that it is because he wished to learn about his kind... Well it certainly was a creative way to go about it. The demon could have always recited what he knew, but at the same time he was also well aware that some things were best experienced to understand. All the prince could hope for was that Zurg did not regret his decision too soon. "I see. You certainly will learn plenty over the course of this week, to be assured. Not everything, but enough for you to perhaps gain a better understanding, as you desire." He replied. By now the deep drifts had begun to lighten into permafrost, gravel and frozen soil meeting their hooves and claws. However, the foot of the mountains were now visible. It would only take a few minutes more before they reached them.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Hmm, had his people ever managed to contact inter-dimensional beings... Zurg tossed back his crackling mane and gave a thoughtful puff. "You know the phrase: stare into the abyss and it stares back at you?" he asked. "Well, it's true. Plenty true, in fact. We've come closer than we would have liked with certain oddities, and sometimes we've had to enforce a few barriers of our own. You know, to prevent any unwanted visitors." Dimensional travel was a two-way street, after all. Maybe even! "Though, it wasn't very often - discovering other lifeforms, that is. The universe is a great big place and that goes doubly for all of its infinite possibilities! Of course, the general public was usually kept in the dark... Best to keep these things between those of authority." A little censorship on X'rghthung had never hurt anyone, right?

After all, if they had discovered Prixlezub's kind... Well, one could only imagine how it would have gone down. "There is a dimensional map back on my homeworld," the monarch added. He saw no reason to keep this knowledge a secret, given the fact that only a X'rghthu could access the technology. "It's far from complete, maybe even .0000000000000001 of a percent, but it's a good enough archive as any."

The alien grew quiet as Prixlezub spoke of this all-powerful tenth tier - a number that commanded incredible respect; although the demon may not understand why.

"I couldn't even begin to imagine that sort of responsibility." An honest confession. Ruling an entire planet with all of its people and creatures was one thing, but to have dominion over the entire universe itself? Sure, Zurg had once entertained the notion of such lofty goals when he had assumed the mantle of Evil Emperor. Megalomaniac villains were allowed to spew all that nonsense, no matter how ridiculous it sounded. "Then again..." The monarch could have made entire celestial bodies if he so much wanted. Not that he would, though. What would he accomplish with a star or moon, aside from using the former for energy and the latter for hurling at his foes?

Prixlezub wrote:"So you were alone even before arriving here."

A silent nod confirmed the demon's realization.

"For a little over fifty, long years," Zurg answered. Perhaps this amount of time seemed paltry to Prixlezub, but even to those who lived long compared to a settler's standards? It was a living nightmare. There was another hop in the monarch's gallop and he kept his gaze rigidly forward. "It's not so bad, isolation. Hard at first... but it teaches you many things." And leaves you in the company of your own demons. "Yes, I am still young," he chuckled.

Look at our pasts... It was true, the alien supposed. Both he and Prixlezub had clashed numerous times, two warring overlords establishing their right for dominance. Advanced technology versus demonic energies, a vulnerable single man versus a living and breathing destroyer... Things would have gone much differently had Zurg not been the powerhouse he had been prior to arriving on Portal Breach. "You have earned my respect; there aren't many alive who can say that." As far as rivals go, the monarch had a gruesome track record of cruelly disposing them. The only man he could never seem to beat for any reason, any at all, had been... sigh, Lightyear. The shining pride of Star Command and protector of the Galactic Alliance's citizens.

Lightyear...

He was gone now, as were all the rest. Just as Prixlezub had said, this world changes people and it fixes them; while also throwing several things into uncertain stagnation. A time for reflection, yes. But too much time and the mind will surely erode into nothingness, memories and friends going with it... "Had I not arrived, I doubt I would have lived past the collision," he stated. Portal-Alpha had been thorough, or so it was believed. Even if the monarch could dimension jump and try to escape as long as he could, it would only be a matter of time. To die or to live out the rest of his life running from an invisible, almighty force? Prixlezub would even be subject to Portal-Alpha's purge. "It is the objective answer, yes." Zurg didn't disagree. Should the alien have refused to adapt and cope with Portal Breach's unique environment, he would inevitably be... handled. And the alien would have accepted death over lengthy prison sentences every opportunity given to him.

Interestingly, Prixlezub's cloak would only be used should the demon prince reason it proper. Made sense, for there wasn't much that could threaten him. Portal Breach had its fair share of surprises, though... In any event, consider the monarch's enthusiasm curbed. And no regrets, either. "I shall accept my decision no matter what happens. This much I can promise you," Zurg reassured.

Packed snow gave way to permafrost, frozen earth kicked beneath their hooves and claws in sizable chunks. It won't be long before they reached the mountains.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 am

All too familiar wrote:"You know the phrase: stare into the abyss and it stares back at you?"

The prince gave a slight nod as they ran, his gaze resting upon the distant mountains that were growing steadily closer with each passing stride. Of course censorship was put in place keep civilians from finding out. Such matters were apparently far more of a sensitive matter for his kind than it was for the demon prince's kin. Of course, even the most learned of mortals were not always the wisest. "We have come across more than a few lifeforms of our own." Prixlezub admitted. "In fact, a few of the more reasonable ones were granted treaties, an agreement to aid us for... larger campaigns. So long as they remained allied with us, they were allowed a portion of spoils for the battles they took part in." He explained. Portions of course being resources, land, and whatever lesser beings they wished to take as pets, livestock or anything else. "Of course, I ensured that if things went sour once the agreement was fulfilled that my kin would not have their backs to the wall." Allying with brutish but not very bright creatures that were hooked upon the prince's strategies and charm, for instance. The more intelligent ones however, they needed a little more padding, but the advantage was worth it.

Zurg's talk of a dimensional map was rather interesting, a small portion of it filled in according to the ex-evil emperor. Perhaps even a little familiar to his own kin's designs. "I remember we had something similar, although I do not believe we had decided on a percentage, as we believed the number of planes to visit were near endless. However, we did manage to find several different planar hells." The prince stated musingly, almost failing to notice the monarch's awed silence at the tenth tier's mention. Alas, he did not understand why such a tier would command so much respect from the alien, as such matters had yet to be mentioned. Even so, the prince could fathom that being able to inhale and exhale life, entire universes, dimensions, was an incredible feat. However, it came at a price.

"You would not be able to imagine much of anything as a tenth tier deity." Prixlezub confessed, distant in his recital. "They are as mindless as they are all encompassing, what they create and destroy goes without thought or reason. Perhaps for the best." Phenomenal cosmic power, but nary a hint of self awareness to go along with it. However, such detachment was a blessing, surely.

To be without one's kin for fifty years, however... Certainly the prince could not deny that fifty years was nary a blink in his long life span, as suns bloomed into existence and died before his unblinking stare. To watch hundreds, no, thousands of generations of his own kind grew, lived and died, many under the blade of his tail while he still remained. For Zurg, on the other hand... While the demon was not exactly sure of how long his kind lived, if a human's lifespan was only a fraction of his, yet the demon's own lifespan was nigh infinite compared to Zurg's, such a long span of isolation must have been torturous. However, the prince remembered a time when he too was without kin... Ages spent beneath the planet's crust, imprisoned against his will for hundreds of thousands of years with only a small cavern leading down the planet's core. "Hm, that it can." He rumbled thoughtfully. Alas, that would be a story for another time, should the monarch come to him curious about times long before the demon's banishment.

The topic soon switched back to their rivalry, as Zurg professed... Respect? Of course, the demon had figured that the purple alien held a sliver of respect given their past, otherwise he likely would have forgone their truce and proceeded to blast him from orbit until he was nothing more than a charred smudge on the planet's surface. "Therein we are similar." He thrummed, in fact, aside from the monarch and the earlier incarnation of Megamind, nary anyone here had managed to best the demon prince in combat so frequently. It was... Refreshing, to find a challenge worthy of him. Now? those that decided to stand against him were no more than mere gnats to be swatted aside with hardly an effort. "Regardless, it is an honor to hear you say that." He added after that passing thought.

As for the collision, the prince gave a small chuckle at that. "Neither of us would have survived the collision. Even the most powerful of denizens upon this planet come to realize it in time." He replied, amused. Either through blunt force or reason, all tend to take this into realization, some merely took longer than others.

Already the mountains were looming above them, and now the prince's pace began to slow to a canter as he neared the foot of the towering peaks. Permafrost gave way to stone that glowed red hot beneath his hooves and claws, molten glass bubbling up where dirt and sand grew prevalent. large boulders sat at the bottom of the stony slopes, Prixlezub's pace drawing to a leisurely walk as he turned about, his tail swaying from side to side. "Now then, shall we rest, or would you prefer to learn your first lesson right away?" The demon inquired. "Controlling one's flame is an important skill no matter the age."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Eeeurgh, granting treaties to inter-dimensional creatures... The monarch liked to think of himself as a more open-minded individual at times, but even he had to draw a line somewhere. There were just too many unknowns out in the dimensional void that could prove... treacherous. "Well, that's certainly a distinction between our peoples," he spoke up, wording things delicately. "We wouldn't have extended so much as our pinkie fingers at whatever we found, let alone open negotiations with them. My, aha, predecessors and those in senior holdings of office were a bit... um, conservative." There was that word again. It was a little hard descending from your high moozle when you had enough technological might to obliterate an entire solar system in a week. All that power tended to make one inflexible. Still, Zurg wished to know more of the demon prince's tentative allies. "If you don't mind me asking," he huffed in-between gallops, looking up, "what did you exactly find? What were they like?"

Apparently, several of the dimensional planes were classified as hells...

Zurg made a slight face at that, his alien mind grappling with both its upbringing and the wisdom it learned while "liberated" of X'rghthung's traditional views. His people didn't really believe in hells, nor did they believe in souls... Then again, the latter surely had to exist. How else could one explain the mysterious energy radiating off living organisms, Prixlezub's keen eyesight able to perceive something that had beforehand been considered myth? "Do... Do these hells really exist?" Sure, sure. His people had found various barren dimensional pockets and, at times, threw only the worst of criminals into them; still didn't make these dead zones "hells", though. Hmm... Perhaps a hell, didn't matter which one, was just a state of belief? After all, something had to call it home. His thoughts naturally drifted to the Earthen definition of hell: an underworld where the souls of the damned were confined for all eternity. A silly notion, if you asked him. Just another method of instilling fear into the general populace and further controlling the masses. He tossed his mane at the idea and loudly snorted. There was also the fleeting recollection of Prixlezub's realm, the mechanical plane of hellfire. A fancy title, that. Was this a hell, a home, or both? How was one sent there and how did one escape? Ah, semantics.

Interesting... wrote:"You would not be able to imagine much of anything as a tenth tier deity."

No, most likely not. Even his people, for all their self-importance and destructive might, could not so readily create or destroy an entire universe as if it were a single breath. They could destroy a galaxy, certainly. But such a lofty endeavour would dedicate several generations to the campaign. Who had the time and resources to expend? "Although, perhaps I can imagine one..." Zurg answered thoughtfully. It wasn't so much as a deity as it was a universal constant; though, depending on who you ask the two are one and the same. "Death. In our world philosophy, ten is equated with death. It is everything and it is nothing, neither self-aware nor entirely mindless. It simply... is." As was life, of course; again, however, life and death were merely reciprocal sides of the same coin.

"It's an honour that you didn't flatten me into a purple paste." That earned a deep, resonating chuckle out of the monarch. How many times had the demon prince attempted to stomp Zurg into a fine calcium powder? "And alas, Portal-Alpha would have come for us all in due course - be it a decade or ten seconds." Time was funny like that. Oh, hang on. The brakes were put on for their current discussion as Prixlezub rumbling something about... a lesson?

Oh boy, oh boy. A lesson to finally breathe fire.

Zurg sat on his haunches with a quiet, but eager, thump and refrained from exploding on the spot. He was practically bristling with energy! "I would very much like to begin the lesson, please." Good, didn't forget his manners. Although his swaying tail would probably give his mental state away...

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 am

Even with the monarch's delicate speech, the prince could tell from the way his people were mentioned that likely dealing with inter-dimensional beings was out of the question. Humorous, considering their current circumstance. "Your people would be quite apalled then, as nearly everyone on this plane is technically an interdimensional being. Every day you make a negotiation with interdimensional beings, even live with them in your own home." He thoughtfully rumbled. "Of course, things have changed since you have arrived here." He added afterwards. Regardless, the prince could understand where his friend was coming from. "Mind you we did not make treaties with every single being we came across, only those that provided something beneficial. Resources, for one. Different methods of the arcane we could perhaps reverse-engineer to suit our pruposes, even additional forces. Such relationships took work to keep healthy, but they were well worth it." Prixlezub explained. All those ties, those agreements and treaties created for a battle that he would never see... In a way it was disheartening, yes. However the demon learned a long time ago that crying over broken pieces would not get anyone anywhere except a puddle of their sorrow to wallow in. There were better things to do than mourn over one's loses.

Of course, interdimensional beings were quite a curiosity for the conservative monarch. Answering the younger ruler's curiosities was nothing that the prince held reservations over. Pondering for a moment, the demon gave an especially thick puff of black smoke from his grill before replying."One of our more active allies were from the Warbound Plane, along with being one that we managed to find equal ground with rather easily. They  called themselves Naghshall, The One's Who Wear Blood as A Cloak. Brutal creatures, but never turned down a fight if they could get one, and were surprisingly loyal if you could impress them. I would say there were around ten or so feet in height, powerful, with stocky bodies. We exchanged weapons and armor, along with tactics." Alas, the prince never had seen what they looked like without all their armor on, as they tended to wear it constantly. After a while he began to figure they either grew the plating naturally or they took an oath to wear armor from childhood onward. Ah, but that was only the beginning, and certainly not the most impressive. "Another ally we gained were denizens from The Nine Rings," A hell, in other terms. "They called themselves demons, and hailed from the eighth ring. They were sadistic, violent, but easy to keep in line if you knew how to whip them into shape. Even easier to negotiate with if you promised to allow them to deliver pain and suffering upon a plane other than their own. The Material Plane was especially appealing to them. I cannot exactly say what they looked like, for they were so diverse." Scales, wings, feathers, fur... An amalgamation of just about any sort of descriptive term under the sun could be found upon the Nine Rings. The Kingdom of Asmaa't Errendus on the other hand, it looked more like a paradise than a burning field of flame. Its denizens were just as harmonious and fair looking. But therein lay the danger, for beneath that facade they were just as willing as any other hellish beast to drag you into suffering and keep you estranged upon their plane forever." Prixlezub mused, "We learned that from them as soon as they managed to seduce a few of my less vigilant troops. However, they soon learned that we would not be dragged down so easily as the souls they tended to ensnare. After we slaughtered many of the ones who welcomed us with little effort, they grew wise. However, they had little to offer us should we have decided to make an alliance. In a way they were like the fae of Avalon with how they tended to function."

Likely that should answer the monarch's question as well regarding whether the hells actually existed. "I have visited the Human Hell." He added. "At least the one connected to the humans from the Material Plane. I suspect like there are many different earths that the humans upon this plane hail from, there are many different versions of Human Hell. They were orderly, ranking themselves in tiers much like a human's monarchy would govern itself with kings being their highest order." Prixlezub rumbled. "Regardless, the souls and their tormentors were quite real, Zurg." Yes, even the earthen hells, places of torment for damned souls, were home to something regardless of connotations. Speaking of which, those likely were staring to become blurry with all that the demon was speaking of. "We had come to define hells as places where demons and devils tended to thrive, where wayward souls were trapped eternally regardless of whether they arrived of their own volition or by the hand of a higher deity. Before I arrived here, we managed to find seven that fit our description." The prince explained as he lumbered about to stand beside a   boulder, its size far greater than that of any human, but dwarfed in his presence to a large stone.

The topic inevitably came back around to the deities that Prixlezub had grown familiar with, his attention piqued as Zurg stated he may be able to imagine one thing. Interesting, he, no, his kin had associated ten with death. "I see." He rumbled. "It is a rather fitting description of a tenth tier diety. With such connotations, I presume your kind were apprehensive about the number itself." Much like humans were about certain numbers, thirteen and four being the most memorable. Regardless, the prince could not help but find this parallel, even if small, between their two people's rather interesting.

Purple paste or otherwise, similarities did transcend dimensional bounds. A deep, resonating rumble shook the stony earth beneath his feet as he joined Zurg's chuckle. How many times had they met with the intention to prove who was stronger, who could best the other in might, wit and ingenuity upon the battlefield? The only regret the prince held over the whole circumstance was that he was unable to meet the monarch at his full strength. Even so, he still put up quite a fight for the horned alien. In the meantime, a very excited Zurg was ready to begin his fire-breathing lesson.

Swish! Swish! Swish!

Any stone that lingered around the monarch was quickly batted away with the vigor of his wagging tail, boulders of a good half ton or more sent away as if they were nothing but children's toys. The stone that stood next to the prince would be next, as the demon prince lowered his head and effortlessly butted the lump of solid rock before the monarch with a single push of his muscled neck. "This will be your practice target." Prixlezub rumbled as he paced behind it before turning about to stand beside his charge. As I had stated earlier, relax and breathe deep, the gases will expel on their own." He instructed evenly, turning his head to face the mountain before them "This should be your result."

The prince's chest expanded outward, his head rearing back and a ripple of heat curling from his maw and grill openings before he unleashed a brilliant torrent of white fire, the air prickling with unnatural heat and the area lighting up as if the prince held the sun between his fangs. Even the stony permafrost the flames roared above were not unscathed, as ice melted away and stone blackened before bubbling and boiling into a heated red stream of magma.

Just as quickly as the roaring flames had billowed from the demon's maw, it ceased. A plume of thin smoke curled from the prince's maw as he turned to face Zurg. "Now you."

---
    Welcome to Camp Burn-Burn!

Zurg is a young demon, and thus can only blast and puff flame so many times before he runs out of gas. He only needs to get TWO HITS in order to pass as being able to breathe fire.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:30 pm

"Well, I'm pretty sure they'd just... hole up somewhere and refuse to communicate with the denizens of Portal Breach," Zurg mumbled. He wasn't particularly supportive of his people's xenophobic natures, but there was perhaps a bit of merit. Just a bit, of course. "And they would absolutely be horrified to know that I live with Jo and the others, or the fact that I actively speak with demons and aliens." Oh alright, his people were just fuddy-duddies with far too much cosmic power at their disposal. In any event, the more he listened to Prixlezub's rumbling words the more he realized... hey, this inter-dimensional hocus pocus wasn't all that different from, say, visiting a few worlds in a neighbouring star system. Er, he realized that before; it just made better sense to have it spoken outright.

Treaties, wars, subjugation of lesser peoples and enlisting the stronger candidates... Same thing, different universe. Oh, but these people that wore blood like a cloak... "Nope, automatic glassing," puffed the monarch. What was a Raenok by any other name? And then, of course, there were the stereotypical demons that Zurg had heard about from Earthen.

Sadistic, violent, and generally aroused by punishing others...

"There's going to be a lot of glass," he offhandedly remarked. Which wasn't a bad thing, should the universes find themselves needing a healthy surplus. What's this about beautiful creatures, though? The monarch tried to recall if he knew any examples similar, though the aliens from his galaxy tended to be rather... well, obvious in their motives judging by appearances. If it generally looked menacing and you thought it was going to rip your face off, the usual rule of thumb was that it will. Raenoks, Octo-whatever-they-were-called, Vulturans, Tigeri, and what have you... All nasty creatures that were as every much intelligent as they were ruthless. Only the Tigeri had been formally included into the Galactic Alliance's ranks, but even they had bad-blood with various others. He supposed the only exception to this rule were the Jo-Adians; though, it was never wise to keep a Jo-Adian from the bunzel harvest. Should they be withheld from the harvest, they had this odd quirk of turning into plated, semi-indestructible monsters. Hmm, how come he hadn't made an entire army out of bunzel monsters...?

Prixlezub wrote:"Regardless, the souls and their tormentors were quite real, Zurg."

Eh... Him and his big mouth, asking questions and receiving answers he didn't like.

It was a tad hard for Zurg to rightfully comprehend the talk of devils and damnation; his people, after all, were very secular. They knew very well that life existed beyond the visible spectrum of the naked eye, that the dimensional boundaries of their world were as every much fragile as they were resolute. But to sit there and think, to actually think, that there were realms considered sacred and profane? It boggled the mind! Who defined what is to be sacred and what is to be profane? And who, in turns, allows this figure to decide? A maddening, all-consuming riddle that seemingly had no definite answer.

"You'll have to pardon me, Prixlezub," he spoke up, after giving things more thought. The boulder was momentarily studied before eventually passed. "I do not readily understand why souls are to be damned, and why there are such punishing realms in the first place. Why should a soul, no matter how wicked or pure, be taken from its home plane and left elsewhere based on relative moral choices? It makes no sense to me."

It makes no sense, because should not the universes be somewhat orderly?

Energy was energy, matter was matter; to displace these things, these constants established in scientific findings, to other realms upon death was... hmm, paradoxical. Then again, how much was known about the ever-expanding universe and how much had yet to be discovered? "Ten is an important number, yes. Though we typically used it sparingly, it is important where the situation requires it. Math, for example. A base ten system is easier to manage than a base nine." Currencies, computers, general everyday use; far more convenient with the former. "Other than that, however, we generally avoided its use. Nine is our highest and second-most revered, but this is more out of respect for those associated with it than superstition." Ah, but this can wait for another time. Now was the moment Zurg had been waiting for: fire!

Down a suitable target went, with the demon prince giving simple enough instructions. Relax and breathe? Didn't sound so hard... Knowing the monarch's notorious luck, though, it was going to be downright torturous.

Prixlezub had made it seem so easy.

First he inhaled, the demon's crimson breast expanding, and then came the height of Zurg's curiosity: fire. And a good deal of it, hot enough to reduce the boulder into a hissing, gurgling lump of incredibly hot earthen porridge. The corners of his lips slightly pulled upwards, but the monarch was mindful to keep his enthusiasm under tasteful control. His turn, said the demon prince. Heated claws gripped at the earth as Zurg rose up to the challenge.

Just breathe and relax... Just breathe and relax... Alright, he could do that. Shaking that great neck of his and letting the fires of his mane crackle, the fledgling alien-turned-demon had several breathing exercises before feeling ready.

Right. Breath and... relax. And so he did, the monarch loosening up his body as he inhaled a comfortable amount of air.

Zurg concentrated on the molten rock and breathed, left at the mercy of the resident dice god.

Oh boy, we LOVE Camp Burn-Burn!

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:30 pm

The member 'Zurg' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

'Coin Flip' :
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Prixlezub gave a soft chuckle, a highly advanced, powerful people going and holing themselves up somewhere and refusing to communicate with anyone. It seemed counter intuitive to the massive prince, although with such advanced abilities, they may not need trade with anyone aside from themselves. After all, Zurg's people were quite a reclusive type and did not wish to share their powerful technology, destructive or otherwise, with those they believed would not put it to proper, wizened use.

Much like the Naghshall, whom Zurg bluntly stated he would glass outright. Soon that was followed by an interest in glassing the rest of the more hellish planes, to which the demon inquired, "And whom, may I ask, would be a candidate for you to make a treaty or alliance with if your people had decided to negotiate with planar beings?" The prince's war-like people easily related to like minds, Zurg on the other hand was more familiar with beings he could likely ensure stayed under his thumb, he decided. However, there were some topics that the monarch required additional thought in order to wrap his mind around. Like hells and heavens, for instance.

"I will admit, the regulations and wills of the supernatural are convoluted at times. For good and evil are merely subjective standpoints, easily changed depending on who deems it so. Therein is the reason for multiple hells, why there are more than just a single pit to lump everyone in. As I understand it, they are much like incarceration facilities and differ between each nation, each deity. Some may share similar qualities, some may even share a plane of torment for those that do not follow their ideals. Others, I have seen, do not have a separate heaven or hell, but simply have an afterlife all go to. A deities creations are their subjects, and thus tend to be their lord if they so decide." He rumbled evenly, pausing for a moment before adding. "It is not the moral choice in itself, but whether the soul in question had lived to what their creator had asked of them. Of course, this can be circumvented through a change of deital allegiances." It was not surprising for the demon prince to find a soul or two that were not of Chryslirrbog's teeth in his domain, whether they be human or otherwise. Although that was more out of a particularly poor miscalculation by a would-be Mancer who decided to try and visit the plane of the deity they paid homage to.

A foolish concept if the demon ever saw it. Especially if the deity's home was already upon the material plane to begin with.

His thoughts returned to Zurg's own people, who apparently revered nine as the second most important number, but not out of superstition. Mhm... It would not have to do with your occupation, would it?" He rumbled thoughtfully. Given his father's rank and Zurg's own interesting childhood, he would have thought it prudent that his father likely would have had him groomed to perhaps take the lead. After all, the alien had to learn his leadership skills somehow and an empire did not build itself overnight, nor did one of lower standing tend to have all the resources necessary to master something as profound as an orbital laser cannon.

Now then, for the lesson on breathing fire. Of course the demon prince had made it seem easy to the less experienced monarch. For when Zurg's time had come to give a few puffs, all that emerged was thick, black smoke. "Hmm..." The prince rumbled, thoughtful as he observed the younger demon. Posture had nothing to do with being able to breathe flame, so no matter what the monarch did, it should in theory come out fine. "Keep trying, I am going to examine something in the meantime." He stated, lumbering off to give Zurg his space while he sat back and started an activity of his own.

The first hint he would have would be a flash of flame, the permafrost instantly glassed over and beginning to quickly cool to a glossy black from the tundra's chill.

---
    Welcome to Camp Burn-Burn!

Zurg is a young demon, and thus can only blast and puff flame so many times before he runs out of gas. He only needs to get TWO HITS in order to pass as being able to breathe fire.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Hmm, what qualities would make for a suitable candidate in Zurg's eyes... The monarch gave it a quick thought before ultimately replying, "I don't know, why bother making a treaty in the first place when my people are more than capable of handling whatever comes hurdling their way?" That probably sounded really arrogant, and it was, but it was their default inclination. "If my people hadn't imposed the self-quarantine law and therefore allowed our technological might to span across the cosmos, there wouldn't be much left of anything to negotiate with." But let's suppose that negotiations were encouraged, as per Prixlezub's hypothetical. What could be the X'rghthu possibly hope to achieve through such diplomatic means? This time Zurg thought about it a wee bit harder, a contemplative puff of smoke escaping his grill.

"We have no desires for petty goods and glories of conquest," he began. Actually, they really had no desires beyond the riches of their homeworld. "And it is our belief that breaching the universe's laws is an unnatural transgression against balance itself. We aren't a very nosy people; in fact, we much prefer holing ourselves up and observing the universe in motion."

Which made the disillusioned little alien as big a sinner as ever.

Nevertheless, Zurg reached up with a claw and idly scratched at his chin. A rather strange feeling, that... "Though, if I had to entertain negotiations with planer beings, as you call them, I suppose those that are honourable, obedient, and trustworthy would be good qualities. I scratch your back, you scratch mine. If they are honourable, I wouldn't have to worry about them making a mess of things with the other civilized races. If they are obedient, they will listen to my words - within reason, of course - and will not commit glaring acts of incompetence. And if they are trustworthy?" Here the monarch chuckled, lowering his arm. "Then I won't have to worry about them stabbing me in the back, because that would equate to an automatic glassing. Planar beings or not, atoms are atoms. If I choose to split one or a dozen, you perish. It's as simple as that." He was of course simplifying an extremely difficult, multilateral situation. "My people have reached a point in their society where creating a weapon of maximum devastation is hardly an issue. Rather, it is choosing one that proves vexing." So many colourful decisions, so little time...

Prixlezub wrote:"As I understand it, they are much like incarceration facilities and differ between each nation, each deity."

"And if you don't pledge yourself to a deity?" Zurg asked. If the alien were to have understood the demon prince's words correctly, it sounded as if these "hells" and "heavens" were realms where trusted, or traitorous, followers went to upon dying on the... material plane, was it? "I don't believe in anything like that. Where do people like me go off to?" Purgatory? Limbo? The space between space? All synonyms for the same end: nothingness. Didn't sound all that fair... Just like how, for instance, a deity's creations were to owe their master unwavering fealty.

This had the alien's cruiser of thought pause, his facial expression contorting itself into that of mild worry. "...And how do we know if we're supposed to repay this deity that presumably created us? I certainly didn't get the memo when ol' Mom and Dad decided to have me."

Mom... Dad... Odd choice of words when referring to one's parents. He thought so, anyway.

"My rank? Ah yes, my... er, rank." Zurg's mind floated back down to reality, out of the treacherous bog that was religion, and he mulled over Prixlezub's sentence. "The number has everything to do with the occupation of Grace. Eight signifies a world and its peoples; a responsibility for the Eighth to care for its children, and a duty for its children to care for it. Nine, however, concerns the Grace - a steadfast and wise leader that oversees the Eighth and everything upon it." Perhaps an easier term to associate a Grace's staggering obligations would be 'custodian', but not 'king' or 'emperor'. Those were settler ideals. Speaking of those... "Of course, the rank of Grace is not handed down from lineage. It is a rank that is earned, forged from birth and tempered through adolescence. My father had little to do with my training; it is our belief that the Grace, although allowed to have family, is to remain unattached to the worldly concepts around them." Easier said than done. Alas, back to the wonder that was Camp Burn-Burn!

It was apparently odd that nothing but smoke and hot hair came roiling out from Zurg's super-heated maw. Prixlezub sounded faintly amazed. Though, that could just be him being thoughtful... "What are you going to do?" he asked, all six eyes trailing the bigger demon prince. An experiment of sorts, no doubt. Or perhaps a method of solving this foreign issue? Whatever it was, the tinier of the two did as he was told and growled at the stone. Wretched thing... It was going to be melted into a pile of bubbling rubbish when he was done with it!

Not one to take defeat so easily, Zurg drew closer and began circling his target as if it were living prey. Felt slightly odd being on all fours like this, but the thrill! Even if this were just some dumb rock mocking him with its unmarred face, the mere pretend of "hunting" it proved exhilarating.

Besides, he'd rather obliterate a stone over those poor seals any day of the week.

With a crackling snarl the monarch's thick lips curled, pointed teeth gleaming in the arctic sunlight. Heated talons gripped the earth as he reared his monstrous head back and inhaled. No more playing around, rock! Zurg breathed in the crisp air until his lungs swelled to the exaggerated point of rupture and released it all in one, overwhelming blow.

He's either going to make Prixlezub proud or he's just going to let loose a whole lotta air. What else is new?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:53 am