--------------------------------

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Re: Further down the rabbit hole . . .

Post by Universal NPC on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 am

"Hell yeah, I'm a street rat." The old man hardly found this insulting, given that it was the truth. "But it must really sting to know that ya can't seem to hit little ol' me with all that fancy and super-intelligent technology ya got there." A boisterous laugh soon came after that, the vagabond having developed a thick skin after all these years on the streets of Portal Breach. And would you just look at the little mechanical stump quiver with rage? "Pfft, all a load of hogwash," snorted the old man. "So ya think you can actually do somethin' on this world... Good for ya; so can everyone else. What really matters, ya goddamn squirt, is if ya can last longer than a freakin' year doin' all that supposed crap." Tons of folks came and went, some of them out of the damn blue without a word. It was hard to take any upstart's word when there was the looming threat of magically disappearing.

The old man shrugged and didn't give much stock in Grodus' words of conquest and glory; why should he? "A lotta talk and very little walk. If ya were so powerful, as ya claim, then ya would have already gotten the information. Hell, ya would have already turned me into mush. Not that I really care, honestly." This wasn't the place for a modest bum, you know?

"Say what ya want and do it, but I'm still gonna pound that pompous lil' face in," he vowed. Hope that shield lasts for another turn, technomagus, because this man of the streets wasn't gonna call it quits!

Pow, pow, pow!

Old Man Herb

HP: 135/200
    DP: 0/0
    AP: --

Target: Grodus!
    Action: three bone-jarring punches to the head
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 am

The member 'Universal NPC' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

#1 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 13, 2, 14

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    Grodus
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 37

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

Post by Grodus on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 am

Again his words didn't seem to make much of a dent, especially since he currently didn't have the aim to hit the broad side of a barn more than once, let alone this damned annoying hobo! Grodus stood there seething as he listened to the old man go on, though he was also oddly reminded of his encounter with that bartender as well. Dealing with him hadn't quite been as infuriating . . .

Last longer than a year, hmm? Well, he had been there for five months already, and while he might have gotten a slow start, he was finally on his way to truly regaining his power. Not that this old geezer would take him at his word for that either, and even trying to interject as the man charged forward was pointless.

Grodus's barrier almost looked like it would take the first punch, but it only held that fist back for a few seconds before shattering into brilliant shards and then fading away along with the Xes that were projecting it. Grodus managed to deflect the second punch with his staff and free arm, and he had only a second to angle his head just so to keep the last punch from damaging his glasses. The impact still sent him staggering back a step or two, though.

The words and the pain were just about the last straw... "I. Am NOT. A SQUIRT!" With that shouted for all nearby to hear, Grodus lashed out with his staff, trying to get some space between himself and his opponent. He was certainly designed well enough to survive a beating, but that didn't mean he wanted to take one.

With that hopefully giving him a bit more breathing room, the technomage tried to focus. If his words weren't having an impact, then there was no need for them. "Fine, enough talk! If pain is the only thing you will understand, then I will simply keep attacking until you tell me where you found those devices!"

Again the flames roared in the old man's direction!

---
    melee strike x1, Flame Magic x2

HP: 153/200
    DP: 0/20
    AP: 14/30
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 am

The member 'Grodus' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

#1 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 9

#2 'Coin Flip' :

#3 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 12, 15, 6, 15

#4 'Coin Flip' :
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Yep, definitely a squirt - an angry squirt.

Miraculously all of the technomagus' blows actually managed to land this time, the vagrant getting a face-full of searing hot flames and a whack to the cranium by Grodus' staff. "YOW! Hot, hot, hot!" Frantically the man danced around as he madly tried to put out the flames with his hands, the tips of his gruff facial hair speckled with embers. "Talk about a roast!" he cried. "I smell good enough ta eat!" Some of the more desperate members of Portal Breach's streets licked their chops, but a good glare from their fellow vagabonds put an end to such horrid fantasies quickly. Various bits and pieces of him still smoldering with little hot nuggets and his pants all but gone, the grumpy old man pointed an angry finger at the tiny evildoer.

"You sorry sack of horse shit! Those were my best pants!" His only pants, in fact. "When I get my hands on ya and really let ya have it, yer gonna be sore in the mornin'!" What he meant by that the transient didn't say; mostly because he was far too busy charging at the technomagus in all of his pantless, stained underwear glory. It was hard to find a pair of clean undies, alright? "I ain't finished with ya, not yet!" the old man snarled. Was there nothing this crotchety old guy feared?

Three more punches - two for his pants, and one for the throbbing welt on his forehead!

Old Man Herb

HP: 78/200

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:22 pm

#1 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 15, 8, 5

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    Grodus
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

Post by Grodus on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Grodus just felt rather smug as all of his strikes had managed to land for once. He couldn't help but snicker faintly as he watched the old man dance around in pain, after all the false starts in this fight he figured he had the right to be amused. The human's comment about being sore in the morning wasn't quite so amusing, though. He wasn't sure what it meant, but if it was along the lines he thought it might be . . . well, how vulgar.

Unfortunately, even getting smacked and roasted didn't seem to put a dent in the vagabond's resolve, and he charged to the attack anyway, despite lacking one of his garments. Grodus was so taken aback by this he actually ended up letting two of the human's punches through, though he regained enough focus by the third to redirect it with his staff.

In the face of this resolve, Grodus realized he had enough mana to cast another lightning spell . . . hmm, maybe this will convince the fool to give up.

---
    Thunder Rage (lightning/magic):

--Grodus casts a strong lightning spell, hoping to do additional electrical damage as well.

Specifics: 3 dice/2 coins, plus duration die and another damage die at half the opponent's level.
    0/2 HIT, attack misses
    1/2 HIT, normal damage
    2/2 HIT, normal damage + opponent's suffers the additional damage for the duration rolled.

AP Cost: 5AP ; three turn cooldown

HP: 130/200
    AP: 9/30
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 pm

The member 'Grodus' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

#1 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 11, 15, 6

#2 'Coin Flip' :

#3 'Stun/Duration' : 1

#4 'Attack/Heal (6-10)' : 9
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Lightning? Not on your life, pal!

"YOWCH!" The bolt came up and struck, zapping the old man right where he stood. Again he loudly coughed and again his clothing was looking worse for wear, but do you think he cared? No way! He ripped off his tattered shirt and cast it aside furiously. "Ya no good, lousy magic-casting piece of hipster shit!" the vagabond snarled. Only a yuppy kid with cash to spare would go out of the house looking like that. "Without all yer fancy tricks and yer little rod-thingy, ya ain't worth a darn! You're physically weak, you're short, and if I put ya in the microwave you'll explode like a firecracker on the Fourth of July! Degenerate upstarts like you have no respect for hard labour and getting yer hands dirty!" Mighty strange that a hobo of all people was saying this, no?

Snorting, the old man licked his fingers and put out the sizzling ember threatening to consume the rest of his scorched mustache. "I ain't afraid of dyin' and I certainly ain't afraid of you," he grumbled dryly. "I survived the Angry Craze, the Blue Goop, and even that weird tentacle guy bigger than 'Zilla. You're just a dime-a-dozen pipsqueak trying to take a piece of the pie for himself. Well guess what, short-shit? We're servin' humble pie tonight!"

Here's three slices fresh out of the kitchen!

Old Man Herb

HP: 46/200

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 pm

#1 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 14, 8, 2

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    Grodus
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

Post by Grodus on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 am

Ugh, insults on top of insults. They were ignored easily enough, especially when half of them made no sense to Grodus, but that didn't mean he liked being insulted. What exactly was a 'hipster', anyway? And he wasn't THAT short, the only person back home that he was sure was taller was that blasted Koopa king. Bowser was certainly heavier too, he could attest to that from nearly getting squished by the giant turtle monarch.

Unfortunately, while this blasted hobo in his way was doing a lot worse than he was, Grodus was beginning to tire. As infuriating as it was, the vagabond had something of a point; his greatest strength was his magic, but if he was too tired to cast it...? A skilled opponent might be able to make quick work of him indeed in the moments they did not have to avoid flames or lightning.

This human was persistent, but not what one would term as skilled. He also did not seem to care what happened to him, but at that thought Grodus began to wonder. If the old man didn't care about his own life, then what DID he care about? Figuring that out might just be the key to acquiring the information he needed.

The technomage took the strikes aimed at him without staggering, again using his staff to deflect one of the blows. He did not immediately counterattack, however, instead deciding to speak. "You do not fear for your life, and most certainly do not fear me . . . but I wonder, would your fellow vagrants skittering around like mice in the shadows feel the same? I can still detect them, you know . . . and if they are in range of my sensors, they are also in range of my power. Perhaps if I begin picking them off, you will be a bit more inclined to talk? Those without your sort of resolve will not last long against my attacks..."

Grodus let that threat hang in the air, perhaps a bluff, perhaps not, but in either case it had the potential to end this right here.

---

HP: 114/200
    AP: 10/30 (+1 for no action)
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:47 am

Oh man, the bum was really feeling the burn.

He wiped the sweat off his sun-beaten brow and barely had enough energy to squint at the pudgy yapper. "Eh? Ya threatenin' all those bums back there?" Did the old man hear right? One of his eyes bulged wide open as he jutted out his lower jaw, the corners of his lips curling upward. "Ha ha ha! Ya say that as if I actually give a damn!" Clearly this cantankerous vagrant didn't care for much in general... With a hearty slap of his knee he continued, "What, ya actually thinkin' to use those worthless louts as leverage against me? Tch, please. They ain't ever done nothin' for me and you'd be doin' me a favour by gettin' rid of them." Less competition for the juiciest trash receptacles around the city! A glob of spit landed itself not even a few inches away from Grodus' hidden feet (if he had a pair) and the dirty coot loudly grunted.

"If ya want to kill them along with me, just do it already. Ya ain't doin' much by yapping away and thinkin' to intimidate me though. Ain't much to intimidate anyway, given all the damn crap we've seen over the years. Heck, kill us all! We'd probably be a whole lot happier." Several of the onlooking vagabonds were furiously shaking their heads, most of them not wanting their lives to be thrown away so callously.

"Most" being the key word, as a few gave nonchalant shrugs.

Another glob of spit, another grunt. "Alright, enough chit-chat. I'mma gonna mop the floor with ya." Absolutely this disagreeable fellow was out of his league, but wasn't it strange that he continued to press his luck even though defeat, and death, was highly likely? Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't - can't think about now, though. Here comes another series of bare-knuckled haymakers aimed right for Grodus' head! "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARH!

Old Man Herb

HP: 30/200

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:47 am

#1 'Attack/Heal (11-15)' : 15, 10, 5

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    Grodus
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    410/410  (410/410)
    Stamina Bar:
    74/74  (74/74)

Post by Grodus on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 am

Well, it had been worth a shot, but it seemed this hobo just didn't care about much of anything at all, not even his fellow vagabonds. Grodus let out an aggravated sigh now that this attempt to get through to this idiot failed, and braced himself for the strikes he knew were coming.

One blow landed, he deflected the next, and then the last barely even registered. All things considered, the mage was still doing far better than his opponent, though he was steadily growing more tired. There was only one thing for it, really, keep pushing through and finish this fool off, then attempt to extract his answers out of one of the others that DID fear for their lives. Certainly not the first time he ever had to do this, and likely wouldn't be the last, either.

"Very well, the example I make of you should convince one of the others to talk. Prepare yourself; I no longer have any intention of letting you walk away from this alive..."

Grodus focused his magic, again letting the blue flames roar towards his opponent!

---

Flame Magic x3

HP: 94/200
    AP: 7/30

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 pm