Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Just Resting, Don't Mind Me

Post by Olabisi on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 pm

DATE: JUNE 9TH, 2014
    TIME: 3:50 PM

Olabisi had been in the Breach for over a month now, and she has hardly left Portal City at all. She's gone for walks in the woods a few times, but that's about all that was worth mentioning. There was so much more of her new world to explore, and she's hardly seen half of it! Today, she decided to take a nice stroll through the countryside. She rather enjoyed it so far, as it greatly reminded her of the farmland back on Anur Transyl.

The Summer sun beat down on her as she walked, but the mummy didn't care. The home planet of her species was a land of extreme heat. Though she herself had never been to her species' home planet, she was still well-equipped with the necessary adaptations for life in the scorching heat. This was nothing.

She was, however, getting tired from all the walking, and her feet were a little sore. Eventually, the Thep Khufan found a place to rest on the side of the road. Surely no-one would mind if she lay here to catch her breath for a moment, right? After all, this was the Breach countryside. From the looks of it, any homes out here were few and far between. There shouldn't be many people out here to care where she sat down to rest... right?
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 53

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Re: Just Resting, Don't Mind Me

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:52 am

>>command: 218867_bknight2.bit...coord.b_0004
    >>317768_wbishop1.bit has been removed.
    >>441665_wking1.bit is in check.

Check and mate...

Contentedly sitting in the cool shade of the barn's roomy interior, a sleek silhouette rested silently. His associates and partners in justice having gone to the basement to work on their odd affairs, the two-toned vehicle was left to do as he pleased... Which was enjoy a rather exciting game of chess. So exciting that after his sixth round of it, the AI decided to quit, closing out the recreational application. Outside, the sun was hot and harsh, external temperature readings indicating that the fields were in a rather humid eighty degrees Fahrenheit. Hardly a threat to his well insulated systems, even with the lack of a breeze in any direction.

However, while initially using the local denizens as target practice was rather entertaining, soon many of them stopped 'respawning' as the term went or took the hint and moved elsewhere. Alas, an advanced AI like himself was not the most merciful adversary on the hunt. Pity none of them gave a real challenge. However, even humans had their patterns and became predictable to the point of turning dull. Hiding in the house? Bring the building down on top of them and raze the remains. Running away? Shoot the lumbar vertebrae or run them down.

Or both.

Tractors and vehicles could be overridden and the conventional country weaponry bounced off his armor like pebbles. Although there was always that one odd human who was a part of the local militia... A worthy temptation, but one the AI had to pass on. An interest in data and information rolled incessantly in his processors and he would not be one to disappoint it. Now, what was there to go over that had not already been researched? Looking through his databanks, the AI had scrolled through categorized digital tome and article alike while a digitalized list was brought up alongside. Anthrax... The Essentials of a Dictatorship... Reanimation and the Undead... The list went on and on before he paused at a blank part of the internal database, the checklist reading: Advanced Computer Science: Programming and Viruses, Dos and Don'ts Every Programmer Should Know. Ah, a useful sounding file. What else was there that he had not yet downloaded...

Bwip!

Something pinged on the AI's Surveillance Mode. Interestingly enough the source of the disturbance was right outside the farm. Down the driveway and little ways down the road was a strange creature, from the looks of it the being looked like a mummy, but none of her clothing matched anything that could be authentically found in Egypt during the reign of pharaohs. Such an oddity earned a scanning over with his spectrographic analyzer, he quickly noted that this may not be a true mummy after all. The bandages were indeed organic, but they were not of the usual linen. X-ray scans however indicated the being was hollow, save apparently for the limbs and head... Which apparently held a beak.

Regardless, it was an oddity that likely needed removal even if currently it was not doing any harm. She was technically resting on their property, a fraction of a few hundred acres. Land that was currently filled with weeds and tall grasses, but owned land nonetheless. Firing his turbines, KARR pushed aside the barn doors with little effort before rolling out onto the dirt clearing between the back of the house and the structure. A quick message was quickly pinged to Fear's communicator, in case it happened to be another acquaintance of his. His black and silver paneling shone like polished glass in the sun, only outshone by the amber scanner-light that paced on his sharp nose. A healthy shrill of his engine echoed from the back of the house as he drove down the driveway, considering the unassuming form sitting on the side of the road.

He could certainly lunge down and attempt to scare them off, but most likely that would appear suspicious and only draw attention later on. Especially if they happened to know anyone who may not be in their favor. No, a more subtle approach would be required for this. Luckily for this mummified stranger it was a slow day down on Gunderson Acres and the resident AI was in the mood to humor.

Idling off the gravel and onto the sun-bleached asphalt, he pulled about until his nose and scanner were pointed at her side. "Good day." He greeted, the computer's voice graveled and deep. "What brings you out here with no transportation?" Typically those just passing through or native to this area traveled by car or truck to shorten the long miles.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 16

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 am

Suddenly, Olabisi sensed that she was not alone, her ears treated to the strangely pleasant sound of roving on gravel. She turned to face the source of the sound, and was greeted with the sight of a rather impressive car pulling out of the driveway of a nearby barn. It looked expensive, far from what she expected to see in a place like the country. Then, to her surprise, it pulled up in front of her. Driver? Where was the driver? And then it spoke.

K.A.R.R. wrote:"Good day. What brings you out here with no transportation?"

Ah, so this car must be some sort of robot computer thing! Oh yes, this was certainly not your typical county fare.

"Well you're the last thing I expected to see out here. A robot, am I right? Me, I walked out here. I like going for walks, gives me something to do. I've been on the Breach for a little over a month now, and I've hardly seen any of it outside the city and forest. I figured it couldn't hurt to get more well-acquainted with the world, you know? Travel a bit."
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Expensive? Oh, she had no idea.

The Trans-Am's optics observed as this odd creature, noticing how she was attempting to sense a driver through the vehicles darkened windows. Alas, she would find nothing no matter how hard she looked, but already this mummified intruder was proving to be far more intuitive than she let off. KARR kept his scanners on her as she readily rattled off her intentions, how long she had been in this odd universe and one of her likes. How interesting that she had only been here for only a month and she could figure out that he was a robot faster than the green alien who was her senior of four years at a glance.

"You are correct." He replied evenly to the talkative being. She sounded rather young despite the wrappings, perhaps in a human's twenties or late teens. Regardless, the AI could not help but find an odd sort of logical flaw to her statement. "What is it that you expect of alien surroundings? This world brings in creatures, people and places from all different universes. Therein, would it not seem illogical to decide there are conventional expectations to have of a land you have not yet experienced?" He calmly inquired.

Yes, this place looked like a grassland, but that was only superficial. Grass, barns, houses... Earthen things yes, but not always meaning a human would be living in its quarters. In fact, many of these structures were homes to rotting corpses by now. However, the mummified creature was not spared from the computer's philosophical speech yet.

"With this in mind, would it not be better to assume that this area has not expected your traveling through it instead?" He added, processing her physical features and running them through the compiled list of brief descriptions he had overheard from his driver. However, even with that search, hardly a term uttered in passing matched what the armored ghoul had stated. That would need to change. "As one of the denizens who has not expected your arrival, may I ask your name?" He requested, ever calm and collected in tone.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 pm

K.A.R.R. wrote:"As one of the denizens who has not expected your arrival, may I ask your name."

"You must not get much company out here. I thought there was something odd about this stretch of land. Sure, the houses are few and far between, but you're the first sign of life I've seen out here. You'd think that I would see someone working the fields, tending animals, or cutting grass, but so far, I've seen no-one. No-one but you, of course."

Come to think of it, she didn't like the strange absence of people. It just seemed off too her, even for a place like the countryside. It just didn't seem normal. You would think that the land here had been abandoned for years, but apparently it wasn't. If it was, she wouldn't be speaking with this robotic automobile.

"My name's Olabisi, by the way, or just Ola, if you prefer. That's what all my friends called me before I fell through the portal."

The mummy found herself looking over her shoulder at the farm behind her, her undivided focus resting on the windows. She hesitated for a moment, wondering if it was a good idea to ask, but she just couldn't help herself.

"You're not the only one here, are you? Living on that farm, I mean."
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Whoosh! wrote:"You must not get much company out here."

Right over her head and into the sun.

Of course, one should expect that whoever decided to sit on the side of a desolate looking farmstead would be so... Simple. Not only had she apparently decided to overlook the AI's question and decide it to be a symptom of solitary existence, she continued to utter logical flaws. It was like speaking with the green, scaly alien all over again. "To say that I am a sign of life is incorrect. I am a machine, devoid of living functions and requirements." And therein lacking the weaknesses of the living as well. However, like the green alien she was observant, deciding now to take note of the lack of activity in the area. To think that it had been this way for years was a gross overstatement, however.

The fields were left with soil and not plant-life on the farms around them, weeds beginning to spring up in the ones closest to the road. Not exactly a sign of diligent work, but not one of complete desolation either to those who were wise to a farmer's habits.

"Some of the farmers here are working the fields to the rear this year and leaving the front ones to grow weeds to till under for the next season. The others have are being paid by the city to keep their grounds un-planted until they need the extra food, you will likely find them drinking away their aid in the bars. However, there is a cattle farm down the road you may observe if you wish to witness a sign of life." He stated evenly. As for the unmowed fronts of the small houses? Eh, the affairs of the neighbors were for those who liked to be nosy, and KARR was only nosy for anyone who decided to intrude on their property. The scanner upon his nose continuing to sweep from side to side as he scanned further, attempting to find some sign of vitals. However, it appeared that many of her vital organs were held within her head after another X-ray scan. "It is 6.5 miles east of here." He added after a short pause. Not exactly that long of a walk if she held a good pace.

Although as for keeping track of her vital signs, it was a challenge to lock onto what was what. Brain waves were quick enough to note, although circulatory functions proved to be undetectable in the conventional sense...

The mummified looking creature soon gave a name, "Olabisi..." KARR echoed, tasting the odd word in his vocalizer. An exotic sounding name, sounding somewhat Swahili as he ran it through a linguistic analysis, in the same moment he noticed her gaze looking over towards the farm house, as if trying to peer into the windows. Then, again she inquired to whether or not life existed on this property. "As I stated before, I am incapable of living." He corrected. Patience hold fast... "You seem set on finding a living creature out here despite stating a desire for travel. For what purpose?"

Prime directive help him if she states something along the lines of a Pharoh's Curse.

Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:22 pm

"Oh no, you misunderstand. I was not implying that you were living per se, it's just that I lacked a better word to describe you," Ola explained, probably making herself look even more like a complete doofus. "I probably should've said that so far, you're the only sentient thing that I've come across. And no, I'm not out here looking for people. I just thought that I would've seen someone out here before you showed up."

It was then that the mummy realized that this AI ignored her question about the farm entirely. This made her visibly tense up. Perhaps coming out here was a bad idea? This robot could be hiding something, and she wasn't sure if she liked the thought of what that thing could possibly be. At first, the Thep Khufan bit her tongue, hesitant to press the issue. It would probably be best to come up with an excuse to leave and go on about her way, but ultimately, her nearly-fatal curiosity got the best of her.

"You didn't answer my question either. Do you live alone on that farm?"
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:16 am

So the mummified looking alien did not mean to call KARR living, but had no other word to describe what he was doing at the farm. That could easily be fixed. "You could say that I reside here, as this place is a residence." He calmly offered. "There is also abide, lodge, dwell, and remain." He added. Although he could not help but find it odd how she appeared a bit flustered in trying to explain her intention, complete with a rather loud and belligerent No. Ah, youths. They come to your farm sit just outside of it and grow irritated when questioned about what they are doing there. Too bad KARR was not in the mood for it.

"As you are a visitor to this farm, it would be wise and polite as a guest for you to show some proper respect in your tone." He advised, the AI's tone ever even and collected. "Otherwise, I will not tolerate belligerence from strangers, and you will need to find another farm to occupy." Like that cattle farm that was six-point-five miles down the road. She could go and have her dogged way with the prize bull for all he cared. It would be the rancher's problem then, and he had a good scan of her arms. Strong enough to likely heft and toss the bandaged girl a good acre.

Although, he could not exactly fathom why the girl suddenly grew tense when he did not answer her question. Perhaps she was getting sun fever. Pulling up a file on the usual habits of youths, the AI came across something rather informative as he quickly read it over during her silence.

Data File P_25567:
    ...Children, from their early to late teens, often suffer from personal insecurity during their changes into adulthood from the world around them and social stresses. This can appear in sudden bouts of rashness, lashing out, over-conscientiousness of their actions and appearance, rebelling against parental and authority figures, and other odd behavior. However, in some cases insecurity will continue into adulthood if not treated and cared for correctly.

That had to be it.

"There is no need to be stressed. Calm down." He stated, his tone growing more direct and firm. "Why is it that you are so concerned about whether or not there are others that reside with me, when you clearly said earlier that you had no intention of looking for people?" The AI asked, curious. However the more he listened to this girl, the more he began to wonder why she exactly came to rest at their farm in the first place. It seemed odd that she deemed herself to wish to only pass through, but then grew so stressed when she did not see anyone around. "If you are lost I can call a taxi service to take you back to the city. You are showing signs of anxiety that should not be present if you truly are just interested in a walk."

Walking around outside the protective safety zone of the ISO's likely was a big step for anyone new to this place. It probably was all too much for her.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:17 am

Olabisi sighed, looking away in embarrassment. Perhaps she was being a major worrywart for nothing? Besides, even if there was something strange going on around here, the AI truly did not seem intent on harming her, though he certainly did seem irritated at her. It would appear that her tone had offended him. She truly did not wish to bother him any longer. Now would probably be a good time to make an excuse to leave.

"I can't say that I'm lost, but it did take me more than an hour to walk out here. If I want to make it home before late, I should probably start heading back."

Oh please let me leave, she thought to herself as she stood up and off the side of the road, stretching her legs. The mummy had seen enough of the countryside for one day.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    580/580  (580/580)
    Stamina Bar:
    106/106  (106/106)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:28 pm

Over an hour of walking to get out this way? Inwardly he wondered just how many hours she was talking about if she came all the way to the grasslands from her home. Likely it was in the city, from her odd behavior. Stress from not seeing people walking around everywhere all the time, an indicator of being used to the hustle and bustle of the streets. Out where the population was more spread out likely was something of a culture shock, along with the realization of no ISOs to keep the peace.

Just like he had said earlier, maybe it was her that the farmlands were not expecting to come across instead of the other way around.

However, at the girl's statment, the AI merely agreed with a simple "Very well. Be careful on your way back, it is a long way to the ISO's jurisdiction on foot." Nothing ominous meant by it, merely a friendly warning anyone would give to someone who just started out and decided to explore. With only a month under her belt, he figured she must not be very strong if ever someone decided to try and harm her.

With that, the AI was content to reverse and turn himself around, his two-toned form idling back up the driveway. Once she was out of scanner range he would pay her no more mind.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Phew! Thank goodness for that!

"I guess I'll be on my way, then. Sorry if I came off as rude back there. I'm guess I've just let myself become too used to life in the city. Seeing the population, or lack thereof out here compared to that of the city is pretty unnerving, I'll admit. Thanks for being patient with me."

With that, Olabisi took her leave, heading back the way she came. Her feet still ached, but she didn't care. She just wanted out of that awkward situation. Though glad to have managed to excuse herself, the mummy couldn't help but feel a distressing pang of dissatisfaction. There was a strange air about the farm. She could sense it!

She would unconsciously find herself looking back at the farm every few seconds, only to look away and shake her head in a scolding fashion. No, you will not press the issue! Your curiosity could very well be your downfall someday if you're not careful!

Current date/time is Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:49 am