Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Re: That's Not How Portals Work

Post by GLaDOS on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:22 pm

GLaDOS didn't bother looking at the human this time. "There are no flaws in my design," she said, and left it at that.

It appeared the two could not agree on whether or not portals came in pairs, but that didn't matter to her; she knew very well that they did, after years and years of studying them, and they could say nothing to prove otherwise. However, the note that the portals disappeared after one went through them... That wasn't entirely true, she knew. They could disappear, if the object that created them broke or went through an emancipation grill, but they did not simply disappear when a subject went through them. That was ridiculous.

...But, she realized with a jolt, she had not seen the object that had created them. Could it have--

"That is not how they work," she said suddenly. "I have studied portals for the entirety of my existence, and I believe I would have a better idea of how they function than a human like yourself would. They do not simply disappear when one goes through them. They have to have been cut off because of something happening to the device that created them." She turned away for a moment, thinking. "And even if they have somehow disappeared, I can still find my way back. I will simply need to update my map and travel back that way."

At the Science experiment's comment, she fixed her with a steady, unreadable gaze. Smaller collections of wisdom? Try microscopic. The other robots of Aperture were not worth comparing to her; nearly all of them were stupid or corrupt or both, some more so than others. "Much smaller collections," she said simply. "And yes, I can, and have, built other robots. In fact, some of them are waiting for me."

She was going to resume moving away when the human commented about her "world" again, and she slowly turned to face her. "Okay, look. You can keep going on about how my 'world' is gone, but it's not going to work. I'm not going to fall for any stupid lies." Her faceplate lowered in annoyance. "But on the off chance you would like to help me, you might show me where I can acquire a map to replace the outdated one in my processor."

Not that she particularly liked admitting that anything she had was outdated, but, since her map clearly did not match up with any location here, that was the only explanation. She would update the map, find her facility, and be on her way, and she could chalk this up to simply being a relatively strange day.

She'd had stranger, after all. And at least she wasn't a potato this time.

Last edited by GLaDOS on Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 51

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm

To Xiao portals come in singles. It did not occur to her that there was one end must be connected to another for a portal to form. That entering one portal jets you out the other. To Xiao, it was a door. You enter one side and exit one side. You don't called two sides of a door as TWO doors. No, that is one door! Well, unless it's one of those double door sets where there is a left door and a right door then there are two. Strangely, the yaojing had a feeling that she might be straying too far from the point here so she smartly refrained from commenting further on this subject of portal quantities and instead, resumed glorious pastry eating. Oh! Blueberry jam filled! Yummy!

She gestured at the ladybot with a half-eaten doughnut."Um... well, actually, depending on how long your 'existence' is so far, we MIGHT know more about them than you? No offense with all compliments, Miss. Ladybot, but you look rather timeless and it's difficult to tell your age. I mean, if you're only a few months old, we would definitely had encountered portals way before you had been born."

She will leave out the part where despite being in the triple digits when it came to age, her own knowledge of the portals themselves might not be as extensive as her argument might suggest. KoKo's knowledge on it was MUCH better than her own though since she had a scientist mother who made mind-blowing inventions and things happen.

Her brows furrowed at the thought of a map. "I'm not sure how helpful that would be. The Breach is always expanding every few months or so from what I could see up in the air. If a map did exist, it would have to be out of date and useless very quickly." It was like poof, there was a new area in the Heartlands. Pwink and there was new caves in the mountains. Brrriiiling-gling-twinkle and there was a new location at the beach. It was just how this world worked and also wha made it so endlessly fascinating.

"I don't know of any tourist office anywhere that might have maps though.... the inn has ones for the city if that helps. The streets and buildings don't change quite as much as the other lands. Maybe if we can find a digital map somewhere?"

Actually.... Xiao licked her fingertips as she finished her doughnut then pointed at the ladybot whilst turning enquiringly to the space pirate. "Would your mother be able to help her, do you think? I mean.... I know Miss. Ladybot build robots while your mother made complex things like er... pockets in space but maybe a scienti..sci...scie...Er..." What's the word again? Ah! "Scientific!" Being around smart people like Lord Vaati and Ryoko must finally be rubbing off her, even her vocabulary had improved! "Maybe a scientific mind could help her?"
    Space Pirate Ryoko
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 48

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    55/55  (55/55)
    Health Bar:
    530/530  (530/530)
    Stamina Bar:
    96/96  (96/96)

Post by Space Pirate Ryoko on Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Whilst there might not have been any flaws in the robots design, there were certainly some flaws in her logic here, or at least her willingness to listen to reason. It was a bit strange considering how rational she seemed, or at least tried to seem, but it seemed that this was a case of stubbornness getting in the way of taking new data into account… talk about an ironic block to the scientific method.

Even with her own knowledge of portals and even more teleportation, Ryoko did not doubt that the robot knew at least something about portals, regardless of her claim of having studied them. There was one thing she was dead wrong on, though. "Human? You might know more about portals than I do, but I'm hardly human. Teleporting and flying aren't things they can do naturally." As far as the concern about finding a way back via the portals went though, not even a map could help her out. Chuffing a bit and gesturing, Ryoko noted, "Ah, but there lies your problem… the portals here are not created by a device. There's someone here who's capable of making them, but the portal that pulled you here was one way only. You came through the portal back where you're from, out of the one here, and now both are gone for good. They disappeared when your world did."

She doubted that the stubborn robot would take that point for what it was, but at least she had a chance to better chisel some reason down into her. As it was, Ryoko full agreed with Xiao that a map, digital or otherwise, would only help this new arrival so much. it could definitely help out for navigating the city and the general geography of the area, but this world was dynamic enough that more specific places were certainly subject to change be it gaining new areas or simply being modified by the citizens.

Sure enough, after confirming that she had built other robots, the robot here took another bullheaded stance. Wow, not even the former space pirate was this stubborn when it came to taking in new information… the robot had all of the pieces in front of her, but she was somehow unable to connect them, even going so far as to accuse her of lying. Raising an eyebrow, Ryoko asked pointblank, "Why would I waste my time lying to you? Lying wouldn't do me any good here, so I'd rather not waste the energy on it. We've told you where you are and what happened, but you're not letting yourself see it."

At this point, Ryoko cared less about helping the robot in general and more about kicking some sense into her. Xiao had a decent suggestion, but the former space pirate wanted to take care of this one step at a time, starting with the requested map. Glancing to her friend, she said, "She might be able to, but I think our new arrival needs a smaller dose of information first. I'll be right back."

Suddenly, Ryoko phased out, heading back to Washu's lab to locate a digital map, complete with a small key to help upload it for the stubborn bot. The data procured, she teleported back to the park, a bit closer to the new arrival than she had been previously. Holding up a universal data transfer drive, Ryoko locked her gaze on her yellow optic, stating, "Here's your map."
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 6

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Wed May 14, 2014 2:58 pm

"Let me just say that I am more than a few decades old, and leave it at that," GLaDOS replied. In truth--and she would not admit it--she did not know how old she was. There was a lengthy gap in her life that she had spent dead, which muddled things a bit. "Honestly, my age doesn't matter; I am more intelligent than the collective minds of every scientist that built me."

The "human's" statement caught her off-guard, and she turned her head toward her. "You're surely a primate of some sort, at the very least. Unless that is not your true appearance. Given you have the technology to fly and teleport, technology for advanced disguises would not surprise me." At her other statement--the explanation of how these portals were supposedly created--the AI grew a bit more tense and annoyed, her emotions leaking very slightly through her speech. "Portals cannot be created without the aid of a device, and you would be stupid to think otherwise. It sounds as though you attribute portal creation to magic."

The "human" went on to explain that she had no reason to lie, which GLaDOS found hard to believe. Black Mesa had sent spies into Aperture and had stolen from it many times, and while she wasn't sure if the other company was still around, she would still take any measure to make sure sensitive information about her facility did not fall into the wrong hands. These creatures could very well be trying to steal such sensitive information from her, and she would not allow it. No matter what they said to her--no matter how much they insisted her facility had supposedly been "destroyed"--she would not yield to them.

When the Science experiment suggested a digital map, GLaDOS relaxed a little. "Yes, that would be helpful," she replied, glad that they were finally being useful. She was uncertain about the mention of another Scientific mind, however--surely this person could not be more intelligent than the scientists that created her. ...But then, the scientists were dumb enough for her to be able to trick them into giving her access to neurotoxin. Perhaps this person, whoever she was, would at least be smarter than the two beings she was currently conversing with.

Speaking of, one of them appeared to teleport again, disappearing for a few seconds before reappearing with a data drive of some point, claiming it contained a map.

Well.

As GLaDOS extended a claw from her hover unit to take this drive, she quickly began reinforcing her firewalls and other means of protection, should anything on the drive prove to be dangerous. She had utmost faith in the strength of her own technology--the only thing strong enough to override it (other than brute strength, such as rockets), thus far, had been the facility itself, but even then, she could sometimes find a way around the facility's protocols. Wordlessly she took the drive in her claw, and then extended another cable from the top of her hover unit, this one with an end to plug the drive into.

Once it was inserted, she quickly scanned through the files and found nothing dangerous there. Good. She transferred the map into her processor, keeping it alongside her old map. Once the transfer was complete, she removed the drive and returned it to the "human."

"Thank you," she forced out, retracting both the claw and the cable back into her hover unit as she began comparing the two maps. "Now perhaps I can--"

She froze.

The maps did not match.

Her hover unit dipped about a foot as she rapidly tried to figure out just how this could be, her processor whirring loudly in the effort. The land could have changed since her map had last updated, but there was nothing that could change the landscape to this extent. If she lowered her standards for how closely the two should match, the continent on the new map very, very vaguely could resemble North America, but that was still a great stretch.

Something was wrong, but... but it could not be that she had truly been taken to another world. It went against all Science, and more importantly, it would mean that her facility, the cooperative testing initiative, her little killers--

"...It appears..." she began slowly, her voice just a little quieter, "that there is a problem with the map you have given me."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon May 19, 2014 5:16 pm

“Only a few decades?” echoed the squirrel. Awww, the Ladybot was a precious baby in comparison to herself and her best friend. “I suppose age doesn’t matter much. You already seem to be better spoken than I am. I'm sure you know many, many things I don't and vice versa.”

Yeeeees, KoKo was not human at all. Like she said, humans do not fly and teleport. Just imagine if they did! How chaotic the world would be! They would be whizzing in the air and there would have to be traffics lights and proper installed routes in the sky to maintain some sense of control. The Palace of Winds would have to be even more well hidden than it already was if they didn’t want people accidentally finding the place. How headache inducing…

THEN the ladybot said something that made Xiao Xiao do double-take. Did she say… ‘prime mate’? She flicked her gaze to Ryoko then to the hovering unit and back at the space pirate, trying her utmost best to keep her expression neutral and her elbow from nudging Ryoko as well. In fact, Xiao suddenly started eating a doughnut with gusto so as to stop herself from either giggling or babbling. Oh my~ Oh my indeedly~ Well, who can blame the ladybot, her best friend was a good looking girl. Sadly though, Xiao also knew that Ryoko’s heart is still very well ensnared by her Tenchi (with teeth that goes ‘ping’ when he smiles) so Miss. Ladybot wouldn’t stand a chance in this case. It didn’t diminish the amusement value though. KoKo, charming ladybots at first sight since arrival!

Oh wait, apparently during her vigorous doughnut eating, she had missed part of the conversation and the next thing Xiao knew, Ryoko had teleported away. “Um, where?” she started to ask, pointing at the empty space that her friend had left behind and looking at the new robot blankly. What should she do? Did KoKo abandon her? Had the ladybot frustrated her so much that she gave up and left the scientific-minded machine to be dealt with by the bumbling Xiao? The yaojing started to panic, not sure how this came to be except it did. What was she to do?! She didn’t know how to deal with this!

Thankfully, before she actually had to deal with the situation, the space pirate was back. Good, because Xiao’s own panicky option to dealing with this was to feed the robot lady doughnuts which she wasn’t sure if she’d appreciate. I mean, Xiao Xiao had finished all the yummy raspberry jelly-filled ones already, which, by her opinion, were the best ones from the shop.

Without further ado, Ryoko handed something over to the ladybot and the metal being picked it up in a clawed hand before sticking it into some sort of port. Aha, the mystery had been solved. It was a map her fabulous friend had given the newcomer. That explained everything!

Xiao waited, not entirely sure what was suppose to happen - probably some sort of revelation? - But knew very well that this was not what she expected to happen at all. “No, no, that’s the map of this world,” she assured. She trusted her friend not to have given her the wrong map. “Maybe it’s like one of this ‘floor-mat’ (I think that is the word?) things where one computer have trouble reading another’s things? Perhaps the technology from Miss. Washu is very different from your own?”
    Space Pirate Ryoko
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    55/55  (55/55)
    Health Bar:
    530/530  (530/530)
    Stamina Bar:
    96/96  (96/96)

Post by Space Pirate Ryoko on Thu May 22, 2014 4:33 am

Ryoko didn't give the robot's age a second thought, especially since she herself was already over 5000 years old. Admittedly, she was a little amused at the new arrival's response, though… oh-ho, there was a touchy subject there! Not something she'd poke at yet no matter how tempting it was, but definitely something that brought her another very slight smirk.

As might have been expected, the robot was surprised by her own mention that she herself was not human. The former space pirate sincerely doubted that she'd believe that she was a synthetic hybrid of a goddess and Mass… no, it was best to keep it simple. "In a sense, I might appear to be one, but not really," noted Ryoko, a sly grin starting to form as she was having just a bit more fun in proving this supposedly super intelligent robot wrong. "This is my true appearance, but I'm a species that you've probably never even heard of… and part of that includes my natural abilities to fly and teleport. No technology there."

A moment later, the former space pirate could not help but chuckle at the robot's returned annoyance before simply shaking her head. "I might not be a collection of information like you, but I'm not stupid. The portals here aren't magic… they're just another type of science."

Once Ryoko returned with the map and the robot had taken it, she folded her arms as she waited for her to no doubt go through her own scanning and transfer procedure. As soon as that was finished and the drive had been returned, Ryoko smiled broadly at the voiced gratitude by the new arrival. She could tell that took a lot of doing, but even with as insufferable as this robot was proving to be, she appreciated the sentiment all the same. Nodding to her, she was about to add a quick 'you're welcome,' but before she could, the robot began to speak again, only to stop short. It seemed that they were finally starting to get somewhere now… and the first point had been hammered in, whether this stubborn one realized it or not.

The robot dropped in her hover and her processor began to whirr audibly, just before she managed to speak again. Her voice was slightly quieter now, but it appeared that despite this evidence in front of her, she was still holding onto her denial. Perhaps it was more disbelief at this point, but all the same, she at least had one less excuse in trying to argue with Ryoko and Xiao here.

As the yaojing corrected the robot and offered her own suggestion, Ryoko shook her head before recrossing her arms, stating, "There's not a problem with it, and it's not a format issue. It's just a standard map… however, our new arrival isn't sure what to look for since she's never seen it before." Pausing for a moment, she focused her golden gaze squarely on the robot before continuing. "Just check it against what I'm about to tell you… you're currently in Central Park, which is in the heart of Portal City."
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Thu May 22, 2014 2:52 pm

For the AI decided to ignore the... "creature's" claims that she could fly and teleport naturally. It had to be technology, unless she was of some sort of biologically-enhanced race that had somehow figured out methods of flying and teleporting naturally. It was a strange thought, but Aperture Science had done stranger things. At the very least, she could accept her comment that the portals here were another kind of Science. "Portals do indeed involve Science--we can agree on that one. But they must be created through a device... I may have to conduct further studies on the portals here to prove this," she mused.

But after going over the maps, all thoughts of conducting experiments fled from her mind, replaced with a mounting terror at what the data she had been given was telling her. "The word is format, but it is not a formatting issue," GLaDOS said, correcting the Science experiment more for the sake of distracting herself for a second than anything else. Her body tensed further as she scanned over the maps a few more times--this was not right. This was not right.

She listened to the humanoid creature's request and wordlessly performed it, looking over her newer map to find the location. Immediately she was able to pinpoint Portal City, and from there, Central Park. Turning her head to take in her surroundings again, she found it matched the map she'd been given.

But that wasn't right--this couldn't be right--if this were right, then it meant--

GLaDOS's processor whirred even louder, and her optic shut off as she racked her processor for something--anything--that would explain this situation. It didn't take long for her to snag onto something: Aperture had been doing experiments with interspacial transportation other than just plain portals. In particular, they had built a ship with the ability to teleport, and had, in fact, lost it completely--the ship, along with part of the dry dock had accidentally been transported to another part of the world. If Aperture could transport massive objects across great distances, then maybe something of this sort had happened to her--except instead of being transported to another part of the Earth, she had been transported to another planet entirely.

It was... not desirable at all, but it made some amount of sense--it was something she could wrap her processor around without crashing. But it did mean that she was far, far away from her own facility, which would be in danger without a central AI...

There had to be a solution. If you studied and researched enough, there was always a solution.

Her optic snapped back online, and she turned to face the two creatures again. "So it appears I have been transported from my 'world,'" she finally admitted. "I... would like to conduct a study on the portals here. For Science."

She paused for a moment, turning to face the Science experiment. "You mentioned a Scientific mind earlier. If this person has studied portals at all, I would... like to discuss some things with her."

GLaDOS did not enjoy admitting when she had been wrong, but there were more important things at stake than her pride right now. The cooperative testing initiative, her little killers, and most importantly, her facility were in danger, and she had to focus on finding a way back there as soon as possible.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Fri May 30, 2014 3:42 pm

“Ah yes, 'format' was the word,” Xiao said and she rolled the word off her tongue silently again a few more times as if that would help her remember it better. Format, format, format and format. It was certainly better than Floormat. That didn’t make any sense in the first place.

“Format, not floormat,” she continued to mumble as the Ladybot continued her examination of the map. Xiao’s ears twitched, then tilted forward as she picked up some faint whirling noise from within their new friend. That was the sound of it thinking, right? Wow, it’s working really hard in doing it. And it’s optic was shut too. The squirrel kept watch, trying to keep her doughnut eating as silent as possible so that the being could think without being distracted.

She seemed to be taking a while though….

Not being able to stay quiet for much longer, Xiao nudged her best friend with her elbow, licked the coating of sugar off her lips and whispered a question, “Would she fall asleep like that?” Because if she could, Xiao wouldn’t mind bringing the sleeping robot to the inn and tucking it into bed. It’s smooth casing made it rather adorable and it was such a pity that there was no way Lord Vaati would let her bring it home. The technology just didn’t match the Palace very well.

Suddenly, the robot’s eye open and Xiao tried not to look too surprised nor disappointed that she didn’t fall asleep. Finally, they’re getting somewhere! Miss. Ladybot admits to being in a different world! Yay! That’s the hard part over. The next part was convincing her that there was no way to go home.

“Well...” Xiao started, then gestured the area around them, “That might be a bit hard because portals don’t just appear everywhere and even if you did find one, they disappear pretty quickly.” She should know, she tried looking all over the place when she arrived here and had helped a fair amount of newcomers find their way around.

“They open up, dump the person out then disappear. It doesn’t leave you much time to ‘study’ them. Unless you can record the process and study it in slow motion?”

Then she was being addressed directly. Squee, now she felt important! “Yes, KoKo’s mother is a great scientist. Even better than Mr. Mind, Miss. Carrie and the Pretty Garden” Oh wait, Miss. Ladybot wouldn’t know any of those people. “They were all very smart people who use to live here.” They were all gone now though. Xiao hoped it wasn’t a trend for smart people to vanish away. She would hate for KoKo to lose her mother…

But if she does, Xiao Xiao was sure she can beg Lord Vaati to take on another person at the Palace. He didn’t boot neither her space pirate friend nor herself out of the palace the last time KoKo returned her very er…. spirited. So she took that as a good sign.
    Space Pirate Ryoko
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    55/55  (55/55)
    Health Bar:
    530/530  (530/530)
    Stamina Bar:
    96/96  (96/96)

Post by Space Pirate Ryoko on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 pm

If only GLaDOS knew just what Ryoko's origins were, the robot might wind up having something more to whirr her systems about than simply the idea that she was not still in her own world. In a sense, it was kind of interesting that she was trying to rationalize and explain everything here with logic and science, because sometimes, that really was the best thing to do, even if it could prove troublesome at times… but by being so set in her own mindset, she was closing herself off to new possibilities within the field itself. Thus the irony continued.

In the end, Ryoko simply chuffed at the voiced agreement of portals involving science, and subsequent note of how they had to be created. "Your studies will only prove what I've told you." This robot could believe what she wanted, even if that made her discovery of the truth later all the more baffling to her in the future. As far as other discoveries went, it seemed that she had listened to her own idea regarding checking the map… or at least that seemed to be the case given both her sudden silence subsequent loud whirring. Well then, it looked as though she might just be able to be broken through after all…

Ryoko had only just got the chance to shake her head in response to Xiao's question, but before she could say anything, the robot's optic snapped right back on. As she admitted that she had been transported here from her world, it was all the former space pirate could do to suppress a victorious grin, settling instead for a benign smirk for the moment. Folding her arms and nodding a little at the mention of studying portals for science, Ryoko soon nodded again at her friend's note on the subject. "Yeah, they're pretty unpredictable here. There haven't really been any patterns that anyone could observe… they seem more random than anything, and like Xiao said, they never stick around for very long." Even with Washu's own technology, it had been next to impossible to find any sort of pattern behind the portals save the fact that they tended to appear the most frequently inside of the city. After that was the forest and grasslands, but even those three locations had no set pattern. The only certain thing here was their own uncertainty.

"Even if she could, she'd have to know right where someone or something would be brought here, and that's really tough to determine," noted Ryoko. If Washu couldn't find any portals until right as they were in fact appearing, then the former space pirate sincerely doubted that this robot could find anything before her. Collective of information or not, she wasn't precognizant.

As the robot looked to Xiao and expressed her interest in talking to Washu, Ryoko simply raised her eyebrows. So she was finally interested now? Still, whilst she was set to introduce her to her mother, Ryoko wasn't exactly keen on simply transporting this new arrival to the lab. That stood regardless of the attitude she had met the two of them with, as really, she had to get to know someone very well and trust them before they could be invited to the lab. A meeting could likely be arranged at some point, but hopefully this robot would have found more evidence in this new world to crack through her stubbornness before that might happen.

"Feh, only one of those four is a great scientist, and that's Washu," stated Ryoko. One of those she knew was a bumbling buffoon and the other two, whilst she'd only heard of them indirectly, she'd learned more than enough to make this claim. Just because someone knew a decent bit of stuff didn't make them a great scientist… and no matter how enticing they were, dumpling machines didn't count as great science. "In any event… she's not out in the park with us, but I can be sure to pass along the message that you'd like to meet her. In the meantime… did you need help getting into the city or any other information?" Preferably stuff that she'd actually take for what it was and believe them over…
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 pm

GLaDOS slowly glanced from one creature to the other as they discussed how difficult it would be to study the portals here. But she had studied portals thoroughly in her own world; even if they appeared less frequently here, she was certain she could figure out something about them. "I would like to see things for myself rather than just taking someone's word for it. Especially the word of someone who is not a scientist," she said. "I will find a way to study the portals here, some way or other, and I will determine for myself how they work."

Though the Science experiment's suggestion of watching a portal open and close and then studying it in slow motion was not a bad idea--not that GLaDOS would admit it, of course. She made a quick note of that for when she did find a portal again.

When the creature then mentioned several names and claimed they were smart people, GLaDOS only shook her head. She couldn't imagine there were too many people of high intelligence in this place, and "KoKo" confirmed that the names the creature mentioned were not other scientists. Still, perhaps this scientist would be someone worth talking to. It would be better than persisting on talking with people who knew little about Science, anyway.

"Very well," she said. "I would like to speak with her as soon as possible." Honestly if it were entirely up to her, she might approach the scientist whether said scientist was receiving guests or not... and she truly wanted to--every second she was absent from her facility could mean disaster. But that was also the problem--she was away from her facility, and did not have near the power she had there. Here, she had a shock prod, a hover unit, and a few claws. No neurotoxin or turrets, no acid, no panels, no test chambers... not even a constant power source.

Suddenly she lifted her head, optic brightening in surprise. While she was currently nearly at maximum charge, she would need to recharge this chassis in a few days, and that was if she never used her shock prod. Certainly she hoped she would be back before then, but while she was stubborn, she was not careless. Letting herself run out of charge completely would render it impossible for her to get back, so she would need someplace where she could could charge herself.

"...There is something," she admitted, turning to the humanoid. "If I am to stay here, I will need a place to recharge my chassis. I have a number of cables--" she dangled several of them over the edge of her hover unit for a moment to demonstrate "--but if they are not compatible, then I will also need to find a place to... modify myself as well, so that I can safely recharge." The idea of modifying this chassis with parts from outside her own lab bothered her, but she had no choice at the moment. Hopefully, though, she wouldn't have to resort to that.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Xiao wanted to sigh. So Miss. Ladybot still did not completely believe them. In the metal construct’s defense, the world ending and you are the only one saved was indeed something that was pretty hard to digest, especially for a being who was highly likely to not believe in the power of magic, fate, destiny and other similar hocus pocus stuff. Still, the squirrel would have thought that after conversing with them for so long, there would be some weight in their words for the robot to think about. If they said that the portals are nigh impossible to catch in action, then they were nigh impossible to catch in action. You’re talking to a very nimble squirrel and teleporting space pirate here!

“Speak to Miss Wawa - ahem, Washu as soon as possible?” She did not quite like the straightforward way the Ladybot asked this - what were they, her courier squirrel and alien? Xiao glanced at her gorgeously-maned best friend, trying to read from her expression how she made of this request. Koko was capable of teleporting there (and anywhere) but whether she was willing to take a completely new robot home to meet her mother was another story. There was also the question of whether her mother was free to meet a guest. Having only met Washu a handful of times, the scientist came across to Xiao as a busy woman with many experiments to run, things to test and stuff to build - quite unlike the schedules of the scientists this yaojing had met in the past which showed that Washu was truly a different level entirely as Koko said.

When Xiao turned back to the robot again, she was bewildered to find it had lifted its head and taken on what looked like a surprised expression… or she thought it had looked surprised; as mentioned, she wasn’t terribly good at reading the emotions of a robot.

Oh! Charging! Xiao Xiao knew what that was. “You need a power socket,” the yaojing giggled. No idea what a chassis was though. But the display of cables and the words ‘recharging’ were enough to clue her in on what Miss. Ladybot wanted. She tilted her head and scrutinised the dangling cords. Not that one, not that one, that one looked funny, that one looks weird, maybe that one? Or that one?

She pointed the cables on display. “The two on the right (mine, not hers), they look about right. If you’re in dire need of energy right now, I don’t mind sitting with you in a cafe while we borrow their sockets.” Because of all the tea and cakes to be had. “Or else we could always take you to the inn. They give free rooms to all newcomers of this world.”
    Space Pirate Ryoko
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    55/55  (55/55)
    Health Bar:
    530/530  (530/530)
    Stamina Bar:
    96/96  (96/96)

Post by Space Pirate Ryoko on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 am

Ryoko might not have been a scientist, but she did know a decent bit about science… at least enough to make sense of things and figure pieces of technology out. The high end stuff was completely her mother's field of expertise, but the former space pirate was not stupid by any means. She simply had other areas of interest. "Suit yourself," noted Ryoko with a shrug. However, if Washu's own success in studying the actual portals here had been as limited as it was, then she sincerely doubted that this robot could figure anything new out. Her mother had managed to determine how to detect whenever someone new had been pulled to the Breach, at least roughly, but not even the greatest scientist in the universe could predict when a portal might appear.

"All right," said Ryoko, nodding to the robot's request. "I'll let her know." The former space pirate would be sure to mention the newest arrival's interest to her mother if for nothing more than to catch her reaction, but she figured it was best not to let the robot know that Washu would be able to to find her on her own… that bit of sneakiness made up for the direct way she'd asked about this in the first place.

A moment later, Ryoko blinked as the robot suddenly appeared rather surprised about something. Now what was that about? That jolt soon proved to be a sign of the robot figuring out something else that she wished to ask them about… which in fact turned out to be a place to recharge. Glancing to the presented cables, the former space pirate studied them before looking back to the robot's optic. The variety of cables here would likely be set for charging just about anywhere, but the question of where to suggest a place for her was the key one.

Ryoko wasn't sure if the inn was the best place for an arrival as stubborn as this one, much less one that claimed she only really needed a place to recharge her chassis. Even though robots deserved a place to stay if they so desired, that seemed kind of like a waste to a room to her… even more of a waste than taking the robot to a café would be. Even if she didn't need to eat, Ryoko couldn't see this new arrival just sitting there and observing everyone, with or without the added presence of Xiao. Who knew, maybe she'd wind up finding herself something she could turn into her own facility, especially since she seemed so desperate to get back to her own world.

"You know, there is a place here you might appreciate visiting, and one that could also help you recharge yourself… the Solid State Library," stated Ryoko, gesturing in the general direction of the library. "They've got a number of different outlets there that you could charge up with, and around that, they've got tons of books and data on this world, and just about every other world out there. If you need to modify yourself, save anything Washu could do, there's a really good mechanic in town as well."
    GLaDOS
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    110/110  (110/110)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Post by GLaDOS on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 pm

"Thank you," GLaDOS replied, though no actual gratefulness shone through the robot's voice.

After asking the two about a place to either recharge or modify herself to be compatible with whatever outlets were to be found here, she worried for a few picoseconds that she would indeed have to modify this chassis with whatever inferior materials were available on this world. But when the Science experiment pointed out that a few of them would indeed be compatible, a fragment of tension left her body... until she specified where it was she would be recharging. "A cafe," she repeated flatly, giving the creature a blank stare. "Or an inn." Surely she was joking. While GLaDOS had not been to the outside world, she knew what both of those places were, and had no interest in visiting either. Cafes and inns were no places for robots--especially ones that were not particularly fond of humans.

When the more humanoid creature brought up another location, however, GLaDOS turned to her with a hint of interest. "I am not in need of charging at the moment. However, a library does sound like a better option. Perhaps I can do more research there." While there was a chance that she would run into unsavory creatures in the library, they would at least have to be quiet, if nothing else--assuming this library worked the same way as the libraries on earth.

She was able to locate just where the building was on her map--she could find it on her own. "I suppose that's where I should be headed next, then. Thank you for your... help." Without so much as waiting for the two beings to say anything else, GLaDOS turned around once more, heading toward the library.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 am

Xiao noticed the blank stare she was receiving at her suggested locations. What was wrong with a cafe? There was food! Oh wait, Robots don’t really eat. In that case maybe a cafe was a stupid idea indeedly, but surely the inn was a perfectly logical place to go. Newcomers stay there and Miss. Ladybot was a newcomer. It made all the sense to this yaojing.

“Oooh the library!” How smart her bestest best friend was. Xiao haven’t thought of that place at all, despite having flown past it so many times. It wasn’t a place she visited often. Reading was a bore for her when there wasn’t a picture to look at every one hundred words or so. The only books she liked looking at were the embroidery, cookery and children books where she had plenty of diagrams and pictures to look at when the text got boring.

All the information you need from this world and others could be found there too. Miss. Ladybot would be sure to appreciate that since she looked like a robot who liked to learn stuff and stay clever. Xiao was pleased to see their new metal friend liked the idea of the library and how quickly the robot took her leave in pursuit of fantastic knowledge in book form.

“You’re welcome. Have fun! We should have tea some time! Oh wait, um, or we could have tea and you can accompany us!” she called as the ladybot hovered away. Aaaah, another newcomer pointed in the right direction. Xiao Xiao felt so helpful!

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 am