Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Re: Indigo Meeting

Post by Sokka on Mon May 18, 2015 1:32 am

Although he did already know that the body consisted of pretty high percentage of water, the exact number was not something he had learned yet. What surprised him more here was the train of thought that led from knowing the body had a lot of water in it, to confirming that it was made up of even more than that, to thinking about just how that fact might tie into healing. It was a sensation he was very familiar with by now, where he got used to putting the pieces of a puzzle together or at the very least figuring something out with the evidence in front of him. This wasn't quite the brainstorm like other trains of thoughts had been, but it had still been a good one.

That thought process was certainly a lot more pleasant than recalling his own experience being bloodbent at least. At Anansia's voiced deduction and subsequent question, Sokka paused for a moment before he stated, "Yes, I do actually… as much as I wish I hadn't." Adjusting his arms slightly from where they were still folded across his chest, Sokka thought of the best way to relay this story before he began to speak again. "My sister, a couple of our friends, and I were making our way across the Fire Nation, and through that journey, we happened to meet an old woman who actually hailed from the same tribe that my sister and I did. We had never met her, since she had been away from the Souther Water Tribe for decades."

Gesturing slightly as though touching on a previous point, Sokka asked, "Remember that war I mentioned? One of the big atrocities in it was the fact that the Fire Nation took many waterbenders from the south prisoner; this woman was one of them. She resented her captors, and understandably so… she managed to escape because of the fact that she developed bloodbending. Desperate times can call for desperate measures after all… however, she let her hatred get the better of her, and instead of only directing her feelings towards soldiers or even more those in charge, she took out her wrath on innocent citizens, using her abilities to imprison them."

Although Katara was not in this world, Sokka was still very protective of her, and even with the trust that he had gained for Anansia, he did not wish to relay all of the details of something that his sister was still haunted by, just in case if she ever happened to find her way here. "She tried to force us to join her cause, and when we refused, she bloodbent one of my best friends and me… she tried to force me to stab him with my sword. We only escaped because my sister was able to subdue her and break her focus."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 20

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Sun May 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Katara's secret was safe enough from the asari. Sokka's description of the events seemed logical enough - it would take concentration, surely, to use such an ability to manipulate another person's body. It also didn't immediately occur to her that it was an ability that the old woman would have taught to Katara, so Anansia wasn't about to leap to the conclusion that Sokka's sister had used bloodbending against the bloodbender. At least, not with the facts provided.

From the young man's body language, it was clear the topic was an uncomfortable one. It wasn't difficult to understand why, either. After all, though she, personally, was not from a close knit community, she could intellectually conceptualize how it might feel, finding a long lost member from their clan, especially while making their way through the territory of an unfamiliar and potentially hostile culture... Then, to be betrayed by that person? She imagined it would be, at the very least, unsettling...

A bit of an understatement, to be sure.

Prying into the precise details wasn't what interested her, however, so Anansia was quite willing to spare her young friend's feelings. But she was somewhat curious of the actual mechanics... "Your sister was a waterbender as well... Do you think that let her protect herself from having this 'bloodbending' ability being used against her? Not that I anticipate ever finding myself in similar circumstances, but I must admit, I'd prefer to know there was some way to guard against it, besides hoping one of my comrades hadn't been caught up as well..." Hm. That... was a little callous and dismissive, perhaps? Catching herself, Anansia amended, "Not to belittle what your sister did... it sounds as though it was very quick thinking on her part."
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 45

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Although Sokka's careful description had not given Anansia any chance much less any reason to draw additional conclusions from this tale, he was glad that his description appeared to make sense to her. It was a tricky one to describe on its own, and even more so when he was relaying it to someone who was not as familiar with some of the aspects of his world. Still, he tried his best to describe it the best he could, and the Asari's own ability to imagine some of the key pieces of that scenario likely helped out even further.

At Anansia's question regarding just why Katara was spared from being bloodbent, Sokka pondered over the matter for a few seconds. He knew that her own ability to waterbend was certainly helpful, but just because someone was a waterbender did not automatically make them immune to the effects of bloodbending. Regardless of the fact that Hama had wanted to pass her dark art on to Katara, between that instance and what Sokka had heard from Korra's own experience with having bloodbending used against her, he wasn't sure if there was a truly foolproof way to combat it.

"Potentially… she might have been able to at least use her own waterbending skills to attempt to fight it, but even then, there is on guarantee that that will help you out," noted Sokka. "I hope you never find yourself on the receiving end of it, but really, the best way to guard against it is to be vigilant, and if you get caught up in it, be ready for any break in their concentration so you can retaliate. Having your comrades set to distract the person can help, but they'd have to be sure not to get bloodbent themselves."

As far as the Asari's added assessment regarding Katara went, Sokka simply smiled and stated, "Of course no. But yes, it was. Both of us tend to be set to think on our feet, and I'm grateful that she did so there."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 am

"It must run in the family," the asari observed, with a slight smile.  At least if this story, and what she had seen of Sokka in action, were any indication.  

"I have to admit, I find it discouraging that there's no counter to learn, but... I imagine the chances of either of us encountering someone with that ability here are so small as to be almost non-existant.   And, even if we were... the effect that the Breach has on one's abilities, at least to begin with, may well even the odds somewhat.  No matter..."  As intriguing as it was as a thought exercise, there really was no point in worrying about it.

And, it was her turn to offer up a gem of information, wasn't it?   Hmm..  "I can't say that I've heard of a similar ability in my own universe.  There are some creatures that have some mind control abilities, to a lesser or greater extent, but they are typically rare.  And nothing that I can think of that controls the body, but not the mind.   I'm not sure what would be worse, really... Having your thoughts controlled by another, or merely having your actions controlled, while you were fully conscious..."  Come to think of it, neither sounded particularly pleasant.  Perhaps it was best to start steering their discussion away from the subject.

What had they been discussing before they had started down this line of thought?  Anansia thought for a moment, then added, "As for my own experience... Unlike bending, for biotics there is not typically an elemental component to differentiate style.  Rather, there are different... abilities.  Specific, ah, ways of utilizing biotics.  For example, using one's biotics to shield oneself, or throw objects - or people - across a room.   Most biotics are really only skilled at a two or three of these abilities.   Truly powerful, experienced biotics have amassed a larger repetoire..."  Anansia paused, then added, wryly, "I am not such a biotic, myself.  I have been somewhat lapse in honing my skills, as of late..."

Then she shrugged, dismissively, as if to say but it's no matter.

Last edited by Anansia T'Ori on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Sokka could not help but return Anansia’s slight smile with one of his own. He and the Asari might have only known each other for so long, but as far as he could tell, she had very keen insight, and he was certainly honored by her praise.

Anansia had a good point regarding the lack of a true and confirmed counter to any bloodbending, although it was a point that Sokka hated to agree with. Still, she was also correct in the way that the chances of them really encountering anyone who could bloodbend were pretty slim. Granted, Amon had once been in this world, but he had thankfully long since disappeared… hopefully it would stay that way, and for good. There were of course the chances of anyone capable of bloodbending appearing, even Hama… but at the very least, she could only really bloodbend during a full moon. And then there was the even better mention of the weakening effect that everyone had once they arrived on the Breach. That alone was enough to elicit a pleased chuff from the young warrior, and he soon nodded, noting, “Yeah, that right there is the best thing. I’ve thought about it from time to time, about how the power dampening effect can be beneficial in the right situation for certain citizens… I guess this would be one such case.” It was a hypothetical that he hoped never came true again, but at least there was a buffer in the strange event that it did.

As Anansia turned to share more about some of the possible abilities in her own universe, Sokka nodded in understanding. Mind control always had the potential to be interesting in the right situation, but if it was used against you, then it was just as bad as bloodbending. “Yeah, I couldn’t have really said it any better myself. I know how they could be useful in certain situations, but to me, there’s still something just… off and even wrong about using them.”

Once the discussion of abilities from her own world continued, Sokka listened intently, still finding biotics to be a rather fascinating concept. Shielding certainly sounded like it could come in handy, and the limitations exhibited in the number that any one person could have made plenty of sense. It did admittedly sounds pretty neat… it would be cool to have a chance to try it out sometime, but as with so many things, Sokka knew that this was something best left to his imagination.

Not failing to catch the subtle meaning behind her shrug, Sokka soon shrugged (albeit with a fair bit more confidence, noting, “You might not be such a biotic, but I’m sure you’ll be able to hone your skills without any trouble. I mean… you’ve got great focus, you’re very adept with strategy, and whilst this world does weaken each of us at first, I’m sure you’ll be able to surpass even this effect when you feel like trying to.”
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:57 am

"Do you know, I had never thought of the initial dampening effect as a security measure... I thought of it more of a symptom of the, mmm, transition between worlds. But, now that you say that, I wonder if that's it's intended purpose? So that beings who might otherwise be a threat to everyone's safety don't just appear out of thin air and begin rampaging?" After all, the citizens of Portal Breach had enough trouble with the threats that did go on the occasional rampage. They didn't need superpowered newcomers teleporting in, confused and disoriented, laying waste to the countryside...

Mind you, Anansia suspected it still probably happened. Just not to the degree that it could have.

Briefly putting aside that realization (which was somehow both chilling and reassuring at the same time) in favor of accepting his compliment, Anansia inclined her head, graciously. "I appreciate the thought... And you're probably right. In all honesty, I imagine I have greater potential in this place than I did at home." She absently glanced to the bookshelves around her, running a finger along the nearest books' spines. "If I can tear myself away from all of this new reading material."

Teetering on the edge of complacency and motivation, Anansia mused to herself that it was, indeed, a good thing she had bumped into the young man today. He had an enthusiasm that was catching, and suddenly simply falling back into the next trashy romance novel had slightly less appeal. Slightly. Perhaps she ought to at least keep her skills from getting rusty...

"I don't suppose you'd have a recommendation as to where I could start? Training again, that is..." She smiled, slightly. "Or reading."
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:10 am

Smiling a bit at Anansia’s train of thought that stemmed from the mention of how everyone succumbed to a weakening effect upon their arrival on the Breach, Sokka stated, “Personally, I think it’s part of a transition effect and to a lesser extent, a balancer. But who knows, maybe it could be considered such as a safety net. You know, just in case.” Considering some of the people that had appeared on the Breach regardless of their alignment, it was definitely a good thing that they did not have the power to wreak havoc, or at least as much havoc as they otherwise could.

The Breach had just as much a habit of making sense as it did not making sense.

Nodding at Anansia’s response in a silent ‘of course,’ Sokka soon chuckled at her remark about the books. “Yeah, that’s a new challenge all on its own. Perhaps that greater potential will come in battle, strategy, and even in dividing up your reading time.” He knew that he had enough trouble limiting himself on books at times, so he had got to the point of more set visits instead of just the random ones. He would visit both on his own as well as with Korra, and being able to better manage that had helped him enjoy all that the library had to offer even more.

Raising his eyebrows slightly at Anansia’s question, Sokka soon smiled broadly. “I might just. As for training, I’d say find a place you enjoy – be it the forest, the grasslands, or even the stadium here – and start from there. Refresh yourself on the basics and work from there, and then you can branch out with more advanced techniques, and of course sparring. As for reading… well, would you prefer fiction or nonfiction?” The young warrior certainly had number of recommendations in both general categories!
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:27 am

"Both?  But perhaps something nonfiction, to start with."  There was a wealth of information in nonfiction books, after all - knowledge was power, et cetera, et cetera.  Her own interests aside, the asari was rather curious to see what Sokka thought worthwhile to recommend.  Histories?  Biographies?  Essays, opinion pieces, instructional manuals...?  Knowing where a person's interests lay was... well, it was interesting, at least to Anansia.  People were fascinating, simultaneously complex and simple, and beyond it's role in her line of work (or former line of work, anyway), the study of how people "ticked" was one that she didn't think she'd ever grow tired of.

He'd already mentioned a curiosity about the ancient history of his own world.  She also thought it would be safe to wager he had at least a passing interest in military strategy, judging from their first encounter.  But was that the sort of thing he read for fun, or was he like her, with a genre he enjoyed for less-than-practical, entirely indulgent reasons?  (Though she somehow didn't peg him as the trashy romance novel type.)

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm