Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Re: Indigo Meeting

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 pm

This she had missed. There was often more to learn about a person by the questions they asked, or how they asked them, than by what they told you outright. It was not a competition, of course - this was no attack and defense with words, cleverly fencing with their ideas and arguments. That would be entertaining, as well, of course, but this... cooperative path to mutual understanding, the benign dance of getting to know you could be quite enjoyable. Provided the person you were getting to know wasn't immediately dull and uninteresting - which was not proving to be the case here.

"No, I had left home several years before. I had been spending much of my time around a planet called Illium." She tilted her head for a moment, thinking of an appropriate comparison. "A colony world, but one that was well established many centuries ago. If Thessia was the capital of asari territory, then Illium would have been... a merchant city, on the border between one nation and the next."

She shrugged, slightly, and continued, "Though, in point of fact, I had been in space at the time, in my ship. I detected the anomaly that turned out to be the portal to here and... went to investigate." Inclining her head to him, Anansia asked, curiously, "And yourself? What was your homeworld like? And, how did you come to be here?"
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 45

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Sokka was very used to talking with people to get to know them better, as not only was it something that he'd grown very accustomed to back in his own world, it had taken on an even more special turn on the Breach. From the first day that he'd met Korra, the two Water Tribe teens spent very many nights simply hanging out with each other, sharing their adventures, talking about their two times, their friends, various places, and everything else they could think of. Nothing ever got old for the two of them, and although they would talk about things in general for this world, it was amazing the way that both of them were able to learn about the past and future so directly. It constantly sated both of their curiosities, and more than that, it had brought them even closer together than their complementing personalities and interests already had.

Nodding as Anansia noted that she had long since left for Illium, Sokka hummed in understanding as she made the comparison of a capital and merchant city for her homeworld and the colony. "I see… there were many colonies in my world, but they were starting to shift their government when I was pulled here."

Anansia went on to describe just where she had been when she had been brought to the Breach, revealing that like Korra and many others, she had voluntarily checked out the portal that subsequently whisked her away. Sokka nodded once more to her before raising his eyebrows a bit at her questions to him. It was only fair of course, but he hoped he'd be able to describe his world well to her, especially since the scale to which they had been explored was so vast, technological differences notwithstanding.

"Me?" Sokka asked, blinking as he thought about how best to answer his companion. "Well, my homeworld is kind of like this one in the most general sense, although it's not nearly as technologically advanced yet. It consists four separate nations: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation, and the Air Nomads. My friend Korra and I are both from the Water Tribe, specifically the Southern one, located at the South Pole of our world… the only difference is that she's from a time period nearly 70 years in the future from when I was from. Unlike your world, humans are the only sentient race… well, not including the Spirit World at least."

Sokka gestured a bit as he touched on that part of his world before continuing, noting, "Anyway, each nation has their own government and culture, but we're still connected in other ways, much in the way that the Council works in your world. As for how I was brought here… I wish it was as simple as investigation. The portal appeared out of nowhere on the ground, and I stepped into it with my left foot.  I got free, but after I tried to get away from it, it grew and grabbed me around the legs, pulling me in. The next thing I knew, I was in Portal City."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 20

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:40 pm

"I imagine it was unpleasant to be drawn away against your will," Anansia observed, sympathetically. And meant it. It was one thing to decide to cut what few ties she had to her world and investigate this new one, willingly. It would be another thing to be removed from one's own world entirely by accident, ties cut whether you wanted them to be or not.

Or, perhaps not entirely cut. After all, this Korra was a connection, and there was always the possibility that others from their world would arrive, as well. "Though I suppose, you would not have met your friend Korra if you and she hadn't both come here. Or, if you had, you would have been her elder, not a comrade in arms."

The alien tilted her head slightly, effecting a look of mild curiosity. "Is there some significance to the naming of these separate tribes and nations after the classical elements?" She didn't want to monopolize all the question-asking, but that part seemed unusual. She could imagine small bands naming themselves after an element, perhaps, but an entire nation?

She was also terribly curious about what he meant by shifting their government, but, again, didn't want to bombard him with questions before he had the chance to ask any further of his own.
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 am

"Heh-heh, yeah… it kind of was," confirmed Sokka, catching and fully appreciating the sympathetic notes in Anansia's words. He didn't go into the full detail of the way some of his surprise had made him exclaim then, but even if he had, he had a strong feeling that she knew that portals worked in very odd ways sometimes. He supposed it could have been worse, at least… after all, he could have been pulled without even having a chance to attempt to free himself.

At Anansia's note regarding Korra, Sokka couldn't help but smile a little, stating, "You're exactly right. That alone is definitely something I'm glad for in this world. I apparently did meet her in my future, when I was much older, but whilst she remembers it, those are memories I'll never experience now. I'm sure they would have been nice, but… I really am glad to meet her as a friend. We're the same age here, and it's neat to think that we've struck such a bond across time."

Around his description of his homeworld, Sokka was unsurprised that Anansia picked up on the names of the four nations having some added significance. It was something that he was used to, having grown up with that knowledge as basic history and geography, but even in a world where the four elements were well known, it was still kind of interesting that they'd had their own basis in their respective nations' formations. Ever since he'd arrived in this world, he'd learned how unique that made his and Korra's home, and he hoped that his explanation would make sense.

"There is, actually," replied Sokka, his smile broadening a touch. "In our homeworld, there is an art known as bending… basically, it's being able to bend or manipulate one of the four elements. Not everyone can bend – myself included – but aside from the general cultural differences, the four nations were formed because of many of their peoples' association with being able to bend water, earth, fire, or air." Hopefully, that made sense without sounding too far-fetched to the Asari.
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 am

Now this was fascinating.  Alternate versions of the same universe, one in which Sokka had not been drawn to Portal Breach, grown old, and met his young friend... and one, presumably, in  which he didn't.  Unless it wasn't the universe that was alternate---maybe when you went through a portal, an alternate you stayed behind?  Mmmm, that would be interesting.  It was entirely speculation, of course, and while it would have been lovely to try and learn more about the nature of the portals and the Breach, Anansia had no idea how one would go about testing it.   From everything she understood, there was no going back to your world once you were here.  To other Gammas,  perhaps, but it was debatable if there was anything to go back to...

Still, a very intriguing thought, even if it turned out to be nothing but a fun little theoretical brain teaser.  Ha, perhaps her new hobby could be uncovering the secrets of the universe.  Now that would be a definite change from her initial plans!  But right now, a fruitless search for elusive, enigmatic questions that would undoubtedly lead her no where sounded strangely... appealing.  In an amusing sort of way.

His explanation of the nations of his homeworld, and this bending, was also interesting, in another sort of sense.  "In some ways, it sounds similar to biotics..." The Asari seemed to be following along well enough, absently reaching up to put a hand under one elbow, while the other hand move to tap a slender purple finger on  her chin.  "Not manipulating the elements, but what we called mass effect fields.  You might understand it as a form of telekinesis?  Though it is more versatile than simply moving objects with one's mind.  Barriers, limited flight---perhaps I should say gliding---and various distortions of gravity..."

Nodding to him, she folded her arms, relaxing into a comfortable stance, and continued, "Every member of my species was a biotic, but in other races, the ability was more rare.  In humans, it had really only begun to surface in the last, mmm, thirty years or so."  She smiled, slightly.  "Largely dissimilar, I suppose, to your bending but... it would be interesting to see if some of the techniques would carry over."
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:21 am

The time that Korra came from and Sokka's own were not exactly alternate versions of the same universe so much as they were each whisked away from very specific points in time. Their world had completely vanished from those very moments, but a version of it still had to across the rest of space-time, which is exactly why they were both able to be pulled here in the first place. Once Sokka had got around to sitting down and thinking through the whole phenomenon, the best way he'd thought to describe it was to think of the timeline of any world as a piece of string. Whether that string stayed in a straight line, split off, or went all over the place in some other way, it was still a general timeline, and each point where someone was whisked away to the Breach was akin to that length of string being cut. That tiny part was no more, but the rest was still there, tied together and still connected. Minor blips aside, it was comforting to know that his world was still intact in other points in time… and since he and Korra were here now, they were determined to move on and make the most of it.

Raising his eyebrows slightly at Anansia's mention of biotics, Sokka listened carefully as she began to describe mass effect fields. Nodding at the comparison she drew between it and telekinesis, the young warrior found himself rather intrigued by the concept. "Wow… that sounds pretty impressive, and definitely similar to bending in a way. Most bending is actually done through martial arts movements, but some very powerful benders can manipulate the elements with only their mind."

Before he could ask if Anansia was able to do any of that herself, the Asari confirmed as much, but what intrigued Sokka was the mention of humans being able to do such. Chuckling softly at the note about how that aspect of biotics was unlike bending, Sokka stated, "It would be interesting. Are all biotics activated by the mind or do you have to do any movements for some of them?"
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:11 pm

However you spun it, the puzzle of Portal Breach was an intellectually tantalizing one to unravel. Had she known his thoughts on the subject, Anansia would have decided that Sokka's conceptualization was probably the most accurate. The ending of the worlds was less of an ongoing event and more of one that had already occurred: The new arrivals were being plucked from the echo of the universe, rather than fished out of a series of events that were currently unfolding. Like the string theory, as he'd imagined it. As if each world was a story painted on a wall - the painting was complete, the story finished, and then somone came along after and carefully removed characters from various points in the story, and collected them together somewhere else. Yes, that was... intellectually satisfying.
    Either way, even if she was completely off base, the why's and how's of Portal Breach were an engaging mental exercise. It didn't much matter to the asari if her world had continued past the point she left it, or not. She had had very few ties, in the long run, and anything important to her, she had brought with her. Which meant that she, in turn, mattered very little to anyone else - as her trip through the Pool had made her realize. Nevertheless, it did have the boon of making her rather content with her life in the Breach, without any homesick longings for a world that was now nothing more than a memory.
    But enough of memories: This was an exchange of ideas that had the potential to have some practical applications. "Yes, and no... The abilities are activated by the mind, but almost all require at least some movement. However, I don't believe I've heard of biotic techniques that utilized martial art form to activate their powers, but in theory, I suppose it would be possible." She stretched out an arm, gesturing elegantly down it with the other hand. "The ability depends on an added element present in a biotic's body, that we call element zero. In a biotic, the element forms nodules throughout their nervous system. To properly use biotics, most species have to learn to consciously control their nervous systems - one of the reasons my species are natural biotics is that we naturally are able to do so."
    With her so far? Good - back to actually answering his question. "So, it isn't simply a mental technique, it does require the full body. Beyond that, it boils down to how fine of control a biotic has. There are some uses that don't require much in the way of gestures, while for others, it is essential. But, I suppose an extremely talented biotic, or perhaps one that was very old and experienced, might theoretically be able to activate powers with little to no physical gestures. I haven't seen such a thing myself, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't - or didn't - exist."
    Tilting her head, inquisitively, the asari turned the question back around to the young man. "Is bending similar? I'm beginning to wonder if some techniques could translate from bending to biotic ability, or visa versa."
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:03 am

Sokka might have been a man of science, but even with his keen and growing understanding of physics, he was not well-versed in string theory. Still, between the open and closed strings that made up the concept, it seemed like a perfect if not complex analogy. The Breach was certainly very strange, he would give it that, but it was just as if not more interesting in a wide variety of ways. Being able to meet people across different times and worlds was incredible, and although the young warrior would always miss his homeworld, he was still grateful for the chance to carry on here and forge his own, new path.

Here, he'd had the unexpected meeting with Korra, a girl from the future of his world, and someone he had already become the best of friends with. On the less familiar side, he had met others such as Barney and Anansia. For the former security guard, the two had formed a fast kinship built on similar senses of humor and an array of experiences that had since turned into a fine friendship. Anansia on the other hand spoke to his intellectual side, and although their previous meeting had been under bizarre circumstances, he had still been glad to get to encounter the asari. Their talk thus far only proven that further, and he was once again glad that they had the chance to talk when chaos wasn't erupting around them.

Nodding as Anansia explained how biotics were activated by the mind and at least some form of movement, Sokka soon raised his eyebrows as she motioned to her own, outstretched arm. Listening carefully as she described element zero and its connection to the nervous system, he found himself very intrigued by the idea of consciously controlling ones nervous system. Requiring the full body and not just the brain itself made plenty of sense, and he found the difference in abilities between biotics very similar to the differences between some benders. With another nod to show that he understood the complex topic, Sokka looked back to Anansia herself at her question.

"In a sense, it kind of is, and it's entirely possible," stated Sokka, quickly thinking of how best to describe bending and its execution. "Like I said, I'm not a bender myself, but not all benders have the exact same skills and abilities. Some are just naturally gifted and are able to tap into that in different ways whereas others train really hard to master different skills. As you might expect though, the best benders tend to be those that are not only really talented from the get-go, but who also make sure to train well to hone their skills even more. That goes for the more powerful techniques as well as higher level or rare abilities."

Pausing for a couple of moments, Sokka soon added, "My younger sister was much like that. She had a knack for waterbending, but she never had much of a chance to practice it until we were both young teenagers. She started training a lot shortly after that though, and over time, she became a waterbending master in her own right."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:27 pm

The asari found herself nodding in agreement with the sentiment.  "I think there's an old saying... or possibly, just a piece of advice... that natural talent will only take one so far.  Practice, training, discipline, are extremely important if you wish to truly excel..."

Let us not forget, of course, that if you had a natural talent and didn't practice, or let yourself laze about and stagnate, well... it was hardly doing you any good, now was it?  Ahem, Anansia.  Perhaps she should investigate this bending - biotic theory... if nothing else, it might get her out of the ship more often.  

Before she could muse further on that particular line of thought, however, something that he'd said tugged at her attention.  Tilting her head, thoughtfully, to the side, Anansia considered the young man.  "And in some occasions, I think natural talent might almost be a handicap... If something comes easy for us, we tend to take it for granted... over-confidence, yes?  Until we run into something we can't solve with it, or, perhaps, we run into someone else with more talent, or better training..."  She didn't sense bitterness from him, when he spoke of bending and not being one, himself.  Which was well, because from what he had seen, he had no trouble keeping up with the best of them, even without supernatural, superhuman powers of his own.  A fine intellect and a clever mind were truly the best weapon, in Anansia's humble but correct opinion.

She waved a hand, as if her words were smoke in the air and she was waving them away.  "But, that's taking us off on a philosophical tangent...  I had wanted to ask:  From what I've gathered so far, there are different types of bending, based on the four elements.  Your sister was a waterbender, as you said... Would she be able to learn to bend one of the other elements, as well?  And as for yourself... if you were able to bend, would you be a waterbender, or would you perhaps be able to bend a different element?"
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 am

"I think I heard something similar to that once. In my experience, it's definitely true." He could say that from his own trials growing up as well as what he had observed in many different people, both his comrades as well as opponents. Sokka himself was not exceptionally talented, but the few talents he did have he worked hard at honing, and he had managed to get each of those and his other training to carry him further than simple ability would have alone.

At Anansia's next statement, Sokka raised his eyebrows slightly. Huh… natural talent as a handicap? Now that was something he hadn't quite thought of… things being taken for granted and overconfidence made perfect sense to him though, and he was soon nodding in agreement with the asari. Far too many times the young warrior had faced foes that let their confidence get the better of them, and that in combination with his and his team's own determination had helped them emerge victorious. He had seen it with Jet, Admiral Zhao, and General Fong just to name a few, and although each encounter was certainly very different, they still had part of that downfall to thank to overconfidence.

"You know… I think you're right," mused Sokka, smiling a little in spite of himself. Natural talent could be a very good thing, but it was nothing special without the hard work to back it up. As far as any bitterness on the subject went, at the very least concerning benders, Sokka had had his previous bouts of bender envy, but he had long since moved past that. He could still fight without bending, he was still sharp, and he was still creative enough to help direct applications of bending to achieve common goals.

Before Sokka could say much else though, Anansia brought them back from that brief tangent. Nodding to his companion as she recapped some of what he'd said, Sokka listened to her next pair of questions with great intrigue. The mere thought of Katara learning more than just waterbending was enough to give him some very amusing mental images, but although he was sure that his sister would have been able to master anything else had she been granted that ability, he was personally glad that he would not have to suffer the brunt of any of her training exercises for the other elements. Water was one thing… but being splashed or frozen in place were far cries from having a rock hit you, being burned or otherwise set ablaze, or even being blown away.

"No, she wouldn't be," replied Sokka, shaking his head slightly. "For anyone who is a bender, they can only learn the bending that is tied to their people. The only exception for that is the Avatar, but then again, the Avatar is meant to be the bridge between humans and spirits, so being able to bend all four elements comes in handy for them. As for me, had I been a bender, since I'm from the Water Tribe, I would have been a waterbender. The only way someone can bend another element is if one of their parents was from another nation. For example, two of Korra's friends were born from the union of someone from the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation; the older brother was a firebender, and his younger brother was an earthbender."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:18 pm

"Mmm... The element that you can master is based on genetics, then? Ah, that is, it's hereditary? From the way you put it, it doesn't precisely sound like an ideological difference, or a matter of choice..." It made sense that the talent was passed down through the parents, but she was having a little trouble wrapping her brain around the choice of the particular element also being genetic... But perhaps it wasn't that far fetched, either. If people had split themselves into these nations, based upon their elemental abilities, then even if they had been mixed to begin with...? Or was there some sort of social pressure involved...? Possibly not. It didn't sound as if the choice of elements that one, ah, bent was a learned behavior.

Hmm. Well, regardless of how it had happened, it had obviously happened. And while it was a curious puzzle, it was at this point entirely moot. "Biotics on the other hand are... ah, not precisely hereditary... but that's another story. Once the ability manifests, it is generally similar across the board, with most of the variations coming from the strength of the ability, rather than... energy type, I suppose." She shifted her weight, absently folding her arms, as she considered his explanation, and then asked, "This is, I suspect, an obvious question, but is there much variation in bending styles, within a single element? Or would all water benders bend water in the same way?"

Sooner or later, she'd let him ask a question or two as well, but for the moment, while he was letting her pick his brain... This was simply fascinating.
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:52 pm

"That's right," noted Sokka as he nodded to Anansia's assessment of just how bending appeared to be passed on. Genetics were something he knew a little bit about back home, although it was not until he had come to this world that he learned that was just what that part of science was called. Before that, he did know enough that some things were passed on from parents to their progeny, such as different physical features, things tied to their appearance, and even some personality aspects. Nature seemed to have just as much to do with what could be affected as nurture did, but there was always something else at work behind the scenes… blood, genetics, whatever it was called, it definitely worked. "It's completely hereditary, not a choice at all, especially since some people are born benders and others aren't."

Pausing for a moment as he pondered how to explain more of this, Sokka moved to cross his arms before he added, "The ideological differences in the four nations rose about more from culture, which was inspired in part by bending. Even then, certain rulers wound up having varying degrees of influence across the centuries… some good, some not so good. For example the Fire Nation had always been pretty neutral, but a hundred years ago, they effectively declared war on the rest of the world. That all started with one corrupt Fire Lord and it made its way down to his son and grandson, tainting the image of the entire nation. Believe me, I hated the Fire Nation for as long as I could remember for everything they had done to my people alone… and it took a LOT for me to see that one corrupt establishment did not represent everyone in that nation. … Even then, it wasn't until the great grandson in that line broke free from that, and he, the previous Avatar, myself, and our friends fought against his father to stop the war and save everyone."

Hoping that his explanation had made sense and wasn't too long-winded, Sokka soon grinned a bit as Anansia elaborated on biotics. The notion that they were not exactly hereditary was intriguing, and even though it was a new concept to him, he could understand how the strength of a given ability could give way to variations. This was definitely some fascinating stuff, and by the same token, he was glad that she was finding the information about his own world equally interesting. At her next question, Sokka glanced up and hummed for a few moments, mulling over just how to phrase things before looking back to her with a slight smile.

"The four bending styles have their own general forms, each varying from the other of course, but even though the styles are all pretty distinct for the four elements, there is some variation, most of that being in alternate styles. A firebending friend of mine once explained that although firebending itself tended to be intense and aggressive, his uncle had taken inspiration from the more fluid waterbending and figured out how to redirect lightning. As for waterbending itself, most of it's the same, but… there are two styles that involve different motions. One is a dark art known as bloodbending, and the other is actually healing."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 pm

"Curious." She was really curious now to see if there could be any carry over between bending forms and biotic techniques. Though, most likely, if there was any cross over, the asari predicted it would be aesthetic, at best... a change in style of a particular technique, perhaps, without really affecting the result. Then again, who knew? It could be an experiment!

Of course, testing the theory would involve finding someone with bending capability who'd be willing to try it out. Something for the to-do list, then.

As for his description of his world, and the cultures that had evolved... What was the saying that humans had? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Which came first, fire bending, or the Fire nation..? Regardless, however it had started, it had become something that sounded quite unique...

And he spoke of fighting a corrupt government, banding together with others to save the world. That was, perhaps, the difference between them. When his world had been in peril, he'd tried to stop it. She'd packed her bags and jumped ship. Then again, she supposed a rebellion against a tyrannical government was one thing, and the potential for a mass genocide of all the advanced civilizations in the galaxy was... another.

Still. He was a hero. She was... definitely not.

Mmm. Such sentimental musings were bordering on pure foolishness. It was far more interesting to consider the styles that he was describing. It would make sense that there could be some carry over between bending styles themselves, she supposed. After all, didn't their Avatar bend all four?

"Blood bending and healing? Hmmm... I suppose that makes sense, considering how much of the body is made up of water. It would follow, logically, that someone could manipulate the water in a body... Though I can't say that bloodbending sounds particularly pleasant."
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Sokka nodded to Anansia as she repeated the two alternate forms of waterbending, although he soon raised his eyebrows slightly as she mentioned that the body was made up of a lot of water. Science had begun to advance a lot back in his time, but although he had not learned just what percentage of water constituted the body, he did know that it made up a decent portion. Water was life, after all… and there were plenty of fluids in the body, blood and otherwise.

Huh… maybe the amount of water in the body was the reason that healing worked so well. It was supposedly used by redirecting energy or chi paths, but if it was redirecting them via water and there was plenty of water in the body… suddenly, that subset of waterbending made a lot more sense.

"Yeah, it does make sense when you stop to think about it," noted Sokka, smiling a bit more. That smile shifted to more of a suppressed grimace at her remark about bloodbending, though. "No, it doesn't… and trust me, it isn't. I can't do it of course, but I have had the art used against me. It's… well, for lack of a better word, it's freaky. Your body moving on its own without you being able to stop it, and the whole time you're aware of it and trying to break free, but you just can't."
    Anansia T'Ori
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    250/250  (250/250)
    Stamina Bar:
    40/40  (40/40)

Post by Anansia T'Ori on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:17 pm

She noticed the slight look of surprise when she casually referred to the amount of water that made up their bodies, and quietly noted it.  She had, more or less, taken the fact for granted as common knowledge, which was unrealistic given the difference in their civilization's stages of scientific discovery.  However, she had supposed that, if there were water benders and such a thing as blood bending, surely they knew a sizable portion of the body was made largely of water?  Should she elaborate, possibly?  If he wasn't aware of the actual scientific fact, that did seem like the kind of tidbit of information that might interest him, on the basis of pure scientific curiosity.  

On the other hand, he seemed to accept the idea quickly enough, judging by his expression, and he had not asked for further clarification.  Therefore, since a longer explanation would serve only to change the subject and run them down a superfluous tangent, Anansia opted not to start delving into her knowledge of biology (which admittedly, was sketchy at best).  

His description of blood-bending was of much more interest, in any case.  It was a description from the point of view of the victim, which implied a personal experience - though it could have also been gleaned from second hand knowledge.  It was also a rather unsettling description, if you thought about it.  There was nothing in her world that she knew of that could do such a thing.  Drugs, perhaps?  Brainwashing?  But, this didn't sound like mental inebriation or restraint.  From his accounts, the mind was perfectly lucid and aware of what was going on, but simply couldn't override the alien control over their body.

Certainly a sobering, uneasy though it one dwelt on it too long.  Though there was a significant part of her intrigued with the idea of how one might accomplish such a thing.  Purely out of scientific curiosity, of course!  At this point, she wasn't sure what she would even do with mind controlled minions if she had them.  She was no conqueror, and had no aspirations to be one.  Still, it would be an interesting study... if not to use herself, then to ensure that she had a way to counter it, should the occasion arise.  Which was not entirely out of the question, after all.  There was nothing to say a blood bender might not someday turn up in the Breach, from Sokka's world.  

Then again, it was quite possible she didn't have to study blood bending to learn how to thwart it.  All she'd have to do was ask.

"It sounds as though you have had some experience with it yourself,"[/color] she observed, thoughtfully. "What happened?  If you don't mind me asking..."

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:21 am