Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

A Visiting Zurgythingy...

Post by Lawrence on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:10 am

Time: 4:00 PM
    Date: 1/30/2013

It did not take Lawrence much time to reach the Inn at all, even with struggling with his borrowed robes the entire run there. As nice as the azure robes looked, they were heavy, a bit too large for him, and rather hot as well. Not that the heat really mattered at the end of January. He endured it as best he could, his posture straight (any slouching would make the robes trip him anyway) and his eyes forward, trying to hold to the image Zurg conveyed. Yes, he might only stay like this for a week and had his own opinions of some X'rghthu ways, but he would make the monarch proud regardless.

The recently transformed butler arrived at the door of the Stock Pot Inn, pausing for only a moment before opening the door and heading inside. Lawrence hadn't announced that he would be visiting today, though he was sure the young innkeeper would catch sight of him shortly after he entered the lobby. Hmm, maybe the boy might even think him a new arrival to the Breach? It would be very interesting to see some of the reactions he would get, at least until he revealed himself.

For the moment, the butler hung out in the lobby, waiting for someone to notice him.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: A Visiting Zurgythingy...

Post by Impa on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 pm

After the more than trying events at the start of the year, the rest of January had thankfully proven to be relatively peaceful and relaxed for the Hyruleans. Around some cold weather training, the main adventure they had really had was to install the new door and trapdoor from Impa and Zelda's room to connect to the younger and older Links' rooms respectively. They had completed that task just a fortnight ago, and already the two new doors were coming in very handy for all of them. The two boys seemed to be using them the most thus far, but the Sage of Shadow knew very well that they would all find the modifications to be very useful in the coming months.

Although that had been the primary update at the Stock Pot Inn this month, for the building as a whole, Impa had still sought to see where she could continue to build on and enhance the security that she had set into place just after Halloween. The wards, crystals, spells, and the like had all proven to be especially effective, and she was even more glad when she saw the result of the inn's residents feeling even safer and more secure in their home. The Stock Pot Inn had always been a safe haven for everyone that visited or lived there, but to see its tenants feel that that was even more true… it definitely filled the Sheikah with a sense of pride.

Speaking of visiting… it appeared that they did have someone who had quite literally just arrived there. As she made her way towards the stairs that led to the first floor landing, Impa caught sight of an unfamiliar form clad in blue robes standing right inside of the lobby. Or at least, a form that was unfamiliar at first…

On the outside, he seemed to be the same species as Zurg… but as she caught a better glimpse of him, her Eyes of Truth shone through…

And just who she saw caused the Sheikah to break into a broad grin.

"Lawrence, it's great to see you!" Impa greeted as she descended the final steps, nodding to him as she entered the lobby proper. It was very unexpected to see him not as his robotic self, but almost as much as that, it was simply nice to see him drop by. Visits were certainly common enough between the two friends, both at their abodes and throughout the city, but they were always very special. Looking over his currently changed form and raising a curious eyebrow, she added, "I must say, this is quite the surprise."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:34 am

Rather than the young innkeeper, it would seem Impa would be the first one out of those at the inn to see Lawrence in his altered form. For the briefest of moments, the Sheikah looked a bit unsure of who was standing there, but sure enough, her ability to see the truth kicked in and she recognized the butler immediately afterward. Well, there was no sense in trying to keep up a ruse that didn't even hold up to one glance. "Ah, greetings, Impa; it's nice to see you too."

He did have to admit his suddenly turning into a X'rghthu would be surprising, especially given he hadn't really told anyone other than Jo and Zurg. "I imagine it is; I've kept it relatively quiet but this has been in the works for a few months, now. I've always wondered what it would be like to be one of Zurg's kind, and thought that perhaps if I tried it, I would understand him a bit better. I also wanted to learn more about his culture, and what better way to experience that than as the same sort of being?"
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

Impa might not have been familiar with the exact sort of magic that had transformed Lawrence from a robot into a X'rghthu, but it was most certainly intriguing to her, both the nature of it and that it had happened in the first place. Given the butler's demeanor, it was apparent that whatever had changed him was voluntary… and at thinking back on some of the inn's residents that she had seen pass by in the previous months, she was fairly certain that this was the work of that shop where one could go to for various temporary transformations. These effects, whilst very real, did not appear to be permanent.

Nodding at Lawrence's greeting, the Sheikah smiled as he began to explain just how this was not a sudden decision. "Ah-ha, I see." The notion of him taking on another form had never come up in their previous conversations, and she could definitely understand why he wanted to keep it to himself. It was a very drastic change after all, and as he expanded upon his reasoning, everything made perfect sense. Curiosity coupled with the desire to understand one close to you better were admirable qualities in coming up with such a plan, and although the circumstances were entirely different here, she could not help but be reminded of a certain disguised princess and how she had taken up a guise of something outside of what she was.

"I'd say it's quite a nice way to attempt to understand it, and I hope that your time as a X'rghthu proves to be enlightening for that as well as a good experience for yourself," stated Impa. Glancing over Lawrence to see just how he differed from Zurg's own form, she soon asked, "When did you first make the transformation? And is it for a week as many others have done before?"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 pm

At the mention of a 'good experience', Lawrence couldn't help but sigh faintly a bit. He was enjoying himself, he really was, but he still couldn't help but think of what happened on the first day. "There were a few points yesterday where I was considering going back to the shaman to try to reverse this, but I'm certainly not letting that blasted construct of Zurg's bully me out of it. He was incapacitated due to his own hubris a bit later on, so we won't have to worry about him for a while, at least."

For the rest of the questions, the butler sounded a bit happier. "I went to the shaman's yesterday, and yes, the transformation will only last for a week. Zurg is having me run through his people's coming of age trials, of which there are nine in total." Lawrence paused for a moment to think, trying to recall how many of the Tasks he had finished so far. "I've handled six of them so far . . . it has been quite interesting to say the least. The most difficult was the hunting trip this morning; I certainly was reminded why I prefer ranged weapons in combat..."

That stupid bear . . . if could have used the Ice Shrieker, he would have downed it in one headshot.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:49 am

Impa's eyebrows shifted into more of a sympathetic expression at catching Lawrence's soft sigh. It seemed as though whilst he was enjoying his experience for the most part, that there were certain aspects of it that had not been quite as expected much less welcome. She listened as he touched briefly on that, but no sooner did her friend mention X'ki than did the Sheikah understand. She did not need to know exactly what had happened to give him trouble, but Impa could gather enough from both this conversation and Lawrence's tone to know the gist of it. "I'm sorry you had to contend with that, but at the very least he has been dealt with. Hopefully this will lend to the rest of your experience being a positive one."

Thankfully, Lawrence's voice brightened as he answered her next questions, and Impa soon nodded as he confirmed that he had gone the route of the standard one week transformation. What he said next though piqued her interest even more…

"Coming of age trials? Now that sounds familiar…" The Sheikah might not have had outright trials for their younger members, but they still had a good number of rites of passage and similar traditions once they came of a certain age. Whilst living as a X'rghthu for a week was bound to help Lawrence better understand both Zurg's culture and the monarch himself, Impa certainly thought that the idea of having the butler go through the trials was a rather brilliant one. After all, there was scarcely a better way to make that bridge between the younger and older sides of a given people. "Six already? Very nicely done… I wish you the best of luck with the remaining three."

At Lawrence's expanded mention of the hunting trip, Impa could not help but smile a bit as she asked, "Were you required to use a close-range strategy for that particular hunt then?"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:27 am

Well now, hearing that certainly made Lawrence feel better. She would've said the same regardless, but to hear Impa wish him luck was just the thing to dispel the memories of that first day to the back of his mind. "Thank you for the vote of confidence, Impa. I fear the Tasks will only grow more complicated and difficult from here, so I will likely need whatever luck I can find."

When Impa questioned about the hunt, Lawrence weighed his options in his mind. On one hand he wanted to forget a lot of it, but on the other he really felt like complaining about it. Feeling the latter option would make him happier, he went with that one. "Perhaps we should sit down first, this is something of a long story." He looked around, found the nearby couch to his liking and sat down, and waited for Impa to likewise find a seat close by.

Once the Sheikah was settled, the butler began his story. "Well, between Zurg and I, we only had two spears and our wits to aid us in this hunt. The kill was not the difficult part; once we found a suitable animal, we set up an ambush, and I am quite skilled at handling those even if they usually involve using a rifle. Zurg spooked it towards my position and I killed it in one strike. We were about to carry it off, but I'm sure you know what may sometimes happen when hunting out in the wild . . ."

Lawrence trailed off for a moment, then continued. "A great bear caught the scent of blood and tried to claim our meal for its own. Zurg held it off while I ran with the kill, and I was lost in the woods for a while. We eventually found each other again, but then the bear also found us . . . unless I was willing to let the thing devour us, I was forced to fight it, with only that spear I held and not much else. With no armor against its teeth and claws, I'm sure you can imagine how much damage it did to me. There was a point where I faltered, as I am not used to feeling pain as you organics would . . . but knowing Zurg was also in danger was enough to snap me out of it and hold on as long as I could. I would have killed that blasted bear, if one of the other lurking predators hadn't taken care of things for me. A strangely mobile willow tree, of all things, was what finished it off."

He thought of that tree again and somehow managed not to shudder, the thing still kind of creeped him out. "It would have likely done the same to me, if Zurg hadn't pulled me out of range in time."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:18 am

Impa smiled slightly and nodded at Lawrence's thanks, inwardly feeling rather glad that she had been able to help send those resurfaced memories right back where they belonged at the moment. At his remark about the Tasks, she stated, "That is entirely possible, but I have full confidence that you can complete them and complete them well. The hunting trip might have been difficult, but if you could complete that, then it is proof that you can take care of the remaining ones too." That was an certainty forged from her own sharp instincts as well as the bond the two had formed, and she did hope that things would not prove to be too trying for him over the next few days.

"Of course," noted Impa at Lawrence's suggestion that they take a seat. Once the robot-turned-X'rghthu had found a comfortable seat, the Sheikah took her own spot in an adjacent armchair, and was soon situated and set to hear the tale of the hunt. She listened intently to his words, soon finding herself highly intrigued by the fact that Lawrence and Zurg only had a pair of spears to take down their quarry. It made perfect sense given the nature of such a trial, and she was happy to confirm that the main part of the hunt had gone smoothly. Impa could not help but smile as her friend mentioned his skill with ambushes, knowing all too well from their shared tales just how true that was. She was pleased that it had helped him out in that Task, and even more at his expert aim, but as soon as he began to taper off that thought, all she could do was smirk just a bit and nod.

"Ah yes, I know that far too well," stated Impa as he trailed off. The Sheikah had thankfully not had too many dangerous encounters with other predators attempting to meet her near the end of her own hunting excursions, but she experienced and heard of enough run-ins to know right where this was heading.

Sure enough, as Lawrence continued, he began to detail how a large bear arrived on the scene, even going so far as to catch up to both him and Zurg after they had split up and reunited. Nodding at the mention about potential damage dealt, Impa did smile a touch at the thought of Lawrence not being used to feeling pain as she and other organics would… and even more at the thought of how Zurg being in danger had helped the butler spring better into action. The Sheikah had full confidence that the two would have been able to take care of the beast that threatened them if need be, but it seemed that luck was on their side as a large, non-sessile willow tree had helped them out just in the nick of time. As unexpected as it was, it was quite the fitting end to the story.

"It very well might have, but I'm very glad it didn't and that you both managed to escape without being injured too greatly," Impa said. It was definitely a story that was better told sitting down, and she was glad that he had decided to share it with her. It was definitely a stressful subject for him especially since it was so fresh, but since he had taken the chance to get it out of his system, he already seemed to be feeling at least somewhat better. "The Task might have taken a less than desirable turn for you, but completed or not, above the general description or not, the most important thing is that you are both all right. I trust you've had a good chance to recover from it?"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Lawrence nodded at the sentiment. Even though the hunting trip had been quite harrowing at times, at least he and Zurg got out of it relatively unscathed, which was more than he could say for the bear. "Yes, everything worked out for the best in the end. We tended to our wounds when we arrived at the house again . . . but not before Jo hosed us down because of how filthy we both were! That part was almost as painful as getting injured in the first place."

He mentally went over the other things that happened, idly going down the list. "After that, we properly dressed and prepared the kill, though I did most of that work. Zurg is rather squeamish when it comes to blood, surprisingly enough. I took a shower for the first time afterward . . . that was delightful, though I did come across one of the, erm, drawbacks to having horns. There are very good reasons why nothing should touch these..."

"After my shower, I went downstairs and prepared lunch. It turned out quite well, despite the odd color of the meat. I've never really seen many animals that are blue before now..."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:07 am

"Mm, I see," Impa noted as Lawrence mentioned that he and Zurg had been able to properly tend to their wounds once they had returned. She chuckled softly at the note that Jo had hosed them down first though, especially as she was able to picture that perfectly in her mind regardless of the fact that she had not been there herself. "I can imagine it was… although that hopefully made the cleanup easier than it otherwise might have been."

Nodding as Lawrence continued on, she was rather unsurprised to learn that her friend had been the one to do much of the preparation work for the kill, given both his and Zurg's own natures. With the monarch's personality, his aversion to blood made sense, but at the very least that part of the trials had been taken care of without much trouble. Once the butler explained that he had taken his first shower, Impa could not help but smile at his apparent enjoyment of it, right before she laughed at his addendum about his still relatively new horns. She didn't need to know all of the specifics of X'rghthu anatomy to gather what had happened, as between her own keen perception of Zurg before now and the way Lawrence had relayed this, she caught exactly what he had meant. It was a short laugh that was out of sympathy from that unexpected bit, and she soon shook her head slightly, saying, "Oh Lawrence, I'm sorry… at least you encountered that while you were still at home. I do hope it doesn't prove troublesome anymore."

Impa was glad to learn that the game he had caught had turned out to be a good meal, although she did raise an eyebrow at the note that the meat had been blue. "Blue meat? That is different… just what sort of animal was this?"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:25 am

Lawrence blushed a bit under the veil as it seemed Impa understood EXACTLY what he was vaguely referring to when he mentioned nothing should touch his horns. There was sympathy in the laugh, though, so that helped him to keep from getting too embarrassed. "Erm, well, yes, I suppose I should be thankful for that. It was bad enough that Zurg discovered I was having that particular problem . . . I think I'll be able to manage avoiding it now, at least."

As for the question about the blue meat, the butler thought back about what the animal looked like before they killed it. "Well, it was a rather large herbivore, it had six legs, and it was completely colored blue. Right down to the blood and even its bones. I used one of my recipes for steak on the meat and it turned out rather well . . . the color was the only truly odd thing about it."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 am

The sympathy in the laugh extended to a similar sentiment being evident in her red eyes as Impa learned that not only had Lawrence encountered such a problem but that Zurg had stumbled across it in the process. That certainly had the potential to make matters worse, but at the very least, things had been sorted out and the butler was not likely to have any trouble with that for the remaining duration of his transformation. Hoping to bring a little more comfort to her friend with a soft smile, Impa stated, "I'm sure that much is true. When you become something you're not entirely familiar with, there are always some things to get used to, even some that you might rather not have encountered… but I suppose that's all part of the experience. For both the trials as well as the general time to see what it is like to be a X'rghthu though, I have a very good feeling that you will be just fine."

As Lawrence moved to describe the animal that he and Zurg had found in their hunting trip, Impa tried to think back to the sheer variety of wildlife that she had seen across her own expeditions. She had certainly come across a good number of them, just as many familiar as there were bizarre to her, but she was positive she had never seen a beast like the one that had been the target in the hunt.

"Interesting… in all of my trips to the forest I've never encountered such an animal," noted the Sheikah, nodding as she made a note to be on the lookout for such creatures the next time she was in the wilderness. "I'm glad it turned out well, though… and I can imagine that eating is proving to be another interesting experience for you." That much certainly stood regardless of his experiences with energon in this world.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:45 am

Listening to Impa's words, Lawrence felt a bit better about it. "Other than that little mishap, I've been adapting quite well to everything else. Most of that is due to Zurg's help, of course. He has been living on this world for quite a long time; he certainly knows many things about one of his kind surviving on a planet other than his homeworld."

When the Sheikah brought up eating again, the butler was reminded of the meals he had so far. Luckily since he just had lunch, his stomachs didn't start to growl at him in response. "Eating is a rather interesting experience, especially since I am used to simply recharging to replenish my energy. I've never felt hunger before either, and to be honest I wasn't looking forward to it, given how NOS-4-A2 would always mention being hungry before draining me. Thankfully, it was quite different from what I was expecting. It was almost like a physically based recharge notification, rather than a blinking indicator in my heads up display."

He remembered what he imagined hunger to feel like before actually experiencing it, and still couldn't quite believe he thought it would be this all-consuming desire. No, that was just NOS-4-A2 being creepy, as Jo, Zurg, and all the other organics he knew certainly didn't react like that when hungry. Well, Jo might devour a burrito in a matter of seconds sometimes, but that wasn't like the energy vampire's reaction.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Save the understandably awkward encounter, Impa was glad to hear that Lawrence had been able to adapt to everything else that came along with being an organic. That much stood regardless as to which species he had transformed into, as she knew quite well that each one across any world had their own unique qualities about them. Even back in Hyrule, there were already plenty of differences between Sheikah, Hylians, and Gerudo to consider… things were only added to that once Kokiri, Gorons, and Zora were considered as well. The Sage of Shadow might not have experienced directly turning into one of the other races, but she knew more than enough about their own physiology to imagine some of the differences one might encounter.

As for what Lawrence was experiencing though? It was more akin to one of the Ancient Robots turning into an organic race. Thankfully, it was proving to be a good experience thus far, and even better, he had the especially useful aid of Zurg. "Very good. I know that he's been around long enough to figure out how to overcome various challenges of a different world, but I'm still happy he's been able to help you out with the same. That assistance is bound to add to that experience of being able to better learn about and understand him… and I have a feeling that this will prove to be even more of a bonding time for both of you."

At Lawrence's response about eating, Impa reasoned that an "interesting experience" was possibly the best way to describe it. From what she had previously gathered, recharging was rather comparable to an organic sleeping, although it made sense that its regenerative properties were akin to replenishing ones energy with food. "You might have to try one of the potions from my world whilst you're in that form… I suppose they act something like a quick recharge."

Before she could ponder what experiencing hunger might be like for the butler, he touched on it himself, even admitting that he had not been looking forward to it. The Sheikah raised a curious eyebrow at that, but his given reason made perfect sense. After all the trouble that NOS-4-A2 had caused him, that was likely the best comparison he could draw to what true hunger might be like… however, the sensation being more like a simple notification sounded about right. "I see… well, I can't speak from the experience of a vampire of any sort, but I'm glad that real hunger turned out to be nothing like that for you. It really is just your body telling you it's time to refuel… which I suppose proves that at the core, robots and organics are not as different as some might think."

Now that certainly brought back memories of one of their earlier encounters… and perhaps this time as a X'rghthu would help prove even further what Lawrence had sorted out for himself all those months ago.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 am

"A potion from Hyrule?" Lawrence thought about it for a moment, and decided that yes, he might just try it. "I do need to be careful of what I drink when in this form; if one of those potions has no sugar or alcohol it should be fine, though."

At the continued talk of eating, and of NOS, Lawrence had to shake his head. "Leave it to an energy vampire to take something so harmless and make it seem rather disturbing. Though I suppose every aspect of him was designed to be frightening, so that does make sense."

For not the first time, the butler wondered why in the world Zurg ever wanted to build something like NOS-4-A2, even if the alien was the Evil Emperor at the time. The vampire would make a good weapon, but it was inevitable that an AI as arrogant as that would end up rebelling.

Eventually Lawrence's thoughts went back to that day in the library, one of the first times he and Impa met. "Yes, it is as we deduced long ago . . . the only real difference is the materials we are composed of."

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:45 pm