Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: We Hope You Accept Frequent Murder Miles

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Blah, blah, technician, blah, blah... Jo dismissively waved one of her hands and shrugged the threat off. "The name's Jo, pal. And my profession is mechanic, not technician." What century was this guy from, anyway? Practically no one called her a technician or grease monkey! Ugh, whatever. She didn't bother retorting and wanted this afternoon to go as smooth as possible. Kinda impossible at this rate, really... Jo barely resisted the urge to roll her eyes when Mr. Sinister mentioned hitting a few bumps, the mechanic finding that to be an unlikely story. "Yeah, right. More like you darn near hit a person," she offhandedly commented. Oh, little did she know... Anyway, she ignored her gangly customer (he had a really morbid outlook on life) and instead paid more attention to the car.

Did... Did it just speak? Cool, there must have been an AI on board! Jo's face lit up and she was very relieved. "Whew! And here I thought I'd have to deal with the bag o'bones over there," she joked. So these two were associates, huh? Jo glanced from the vehicle to its driver, wondering how in the galaxy that relationship forged. "Well, I have seen stranger..." the mechanic shrugged. Considering who she dated, Jo didn't have any room to judge.

Pun.

"No offense taken," Jo replied to the talking car, impressed. So polite and refined, unlike a certain grump. "Your associate, over there, didn't seem too thrilled to handle any paperwork. I guess he's terribly allergic, so I'm gonna need a few mundane things from you. You know, the usual: make, model, year, engine, yadda yadda. I'm sure you will tell me everything I need to know." Considering the now sentient car was the one who requested these repairs via proxy, Jo didn't think the sophisticated machine would pull any fast ones. "Yeah, your driver is really lousy with people skills. Where did you find him, the graveyard? He smells like a walking corpse! Did you know he also has bugs crawling around in that uniform of his? Gross!" Set phasers to humiliate. And ooh, the car was opening the door for her all gentleman-like! Jo could absolutely get used to this and she willingly entered the vehicle's cabin.

This seat.

That steering wheel.

Those buttons.

Pretty content at the moment, the mechanic made herself comfortable and lounged back. Head Mechanic... Oh yeah, that's more like. Technician... "Alright, now that I'm actually speaking with the brains of this duo," she openly commented, not caring if the driver could hear. "What is it you need from me, Mr. Car? Sorry if I don't know your name. Mine's Jo, if you haven't known already. Your stubborn friend already told me what you need fixing, but I'd like to confirm it with you first." Never hurt to double-check.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Woman wrote:"Yeah, right. More like you darn near hit a person."
    ...Was this technician part of some psi-division!? For a split moment the Dark Judge flinched, a hand halfway reaching for the concealed mantrap situated upon his hip. No, wait... Ah, a false alarm. The technician did not know what both he and K.A.R.R. had done out in the merciless wastes. Judge Fear lowered his hand and resumed his idle stance, keeping both his distance and his resolve. He even let the woman blatantly insult him, although her words were enough to earn her several death sentences at this point... And why was K.A.R.R. suddenly encouraging this mortal's behaviour!? The ghoul shot his temporary ally a disapproving glance but issued not a word in objection.

"Yes... I am feeling a bit under the weather," he hissed, playing along. In reality the Dark Judge was just too sick, as it was, to properly kill every living thing around him. That will change soon enough, however. Sensing that his presence was not needed, Judge Fear was agreeable enough to simply wait on the sidelines. Let the vehicle schmooze with its technician; the Dark Judge concerned himself not.

It would have been immensely better if K.A.R.R. locked the doors and windows to flood its cockpit with carbon monoxide, alas...
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Business favored the polite and respectful, perhaps the ghoulish law man should take a few notes. KARR listened as Jo went on about the dents on his underside, a quick cover story already formulated. "Yes, the bumps. While driving down here we had the misfortune of running into a deer." He replied evenly. That was more likely to be believed than the Judge's cover of a few bumps in the road. Luckily it seemed that the mechanic was placated with the AI and his more diplomatic attempts at balancing the situation, even with the Dark Judge having to take a bit of a fall for his behavior.

From his silence its was likely to assume that he probably did not appreciate it much either. He waited as she took a seat, no more frowning or irritation. Good, now hopefully things would go much more smoothly. The questions she asked were quite simple to answer, and were answered without KARR so much as skipping a beat. "I am the Knight Automated Roving Robot, my make is Knight Industries. I have no factory model, as I am a prototype, built in the year 1982. However, the vehicle I have been placed in is known as a Pontiac Trans-Am." He explained, rather proud of his one-of-a-kind status. "I run on a Knight Industries Turbo Jet engine, complete with Afterburners." Why hadn't the Dark Judge come to him earlier with the forms he needed to fill out? They could have avoided all of this and Jo could have gotten to work much sooner without a gross out from... Bugs? KARR had noticed that Judge Fear had a rather strange body composition, but he had not detected insects on his person earlier.

"Bugs, you say?" The AI replied, mildly surprised. "Those must have been remnants from the motel we stayed at earlier, I would have thought they would say something about an infestation. Some of the pests must have made their way into my driver's clothing." KARR covered innocently. As for the smell though... Nothing could be done to cover that. Aside from saying that he worked in a morgue with the freshly deceased. The topic thankfully switched back to the AI, the mechanic now wishing for a name from the vehicle. "Please, you may call me KARR." He replied pleasantly. Now for the topic of what needed to be fixed in question, KARR ran back over his data banks. There was so much on him to fix and yet so little funds... Better to stick to the more necessary and cheap to fix components for now. They could go on another 'Bum Run' later.

"The amount of repairs I need is extensive, my circuitry is in need of repair from corrosive damage, while my Beta and Lambda circuits require a realignment. My scanners are in need of re-callibration and tuning. The same corrosion has spread to areas of my engine and fuel tank, and has weakened the integrity of my Molecular Bonded Shell. As well, there is a laser integrated into my systems that has been damaged beyond usage, I will need that restored to operable capability. There is more that needs to be done aside from that, but we lack the funds for it currently." He listed evenly, noticing that the mechanic more than likely would begin questioning the origins if the corrosion. "My driver and I just arrived here not too long ago, and before then I had been in an area with a large amount of salt water. Due to an unfortunate event I had been submerged in said saltwater for a long period of time before I was able to be freed." Hopefully the topic of where they got their funds would not come into question. Though if it did...

Well, they could always cover with Pest Control.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 am

Running into a deer, was it? Jo had personally never studied the collision of a large herbivore and a hearty vehicle such as this, so she was none the wiser. Very smooth, K.A.R.R., very smooth. "Huh, you boys must have seen a lot of land." Although, why did the driver not bother to evade the deer...? Jo cast a furtive glance over one shoulder at the creepy schmuck and figured she didn't even want to know. Just... Just focus on K.A.R.R., Jo Pistonne.

"Knight Automated Roving Robot?" That was definitely a mouthful. And how interesting! This vehicle was a prototype, truly one-of-a-kind. "I've never heard of Pontiac or Trans Am, but you're in good hands," the mechanic grinned, reassuring her disembodied client. She... never heard of a Knight Industries Turbo Jet engine, but there was a first for everything. Knowing her employee, Big Z was gonna get a royal kick out of this. Jo nodded when K.A.R.R. sounded surprised concerning the bugs. "Really? You guys were at a motel? Wow, they must have a terrible cockroach problem. Where was this place at?" She never knew Portal Breach had a motel, come to think of it. Hadn't it always been in the Stockpot Inn? Then again... Well, this world was kinda big and expansive. Could be a motel on the road somewhere, right? The mechanic crinkled her nose and thought that a motel littered with bugs was fairly disgusting. Shame on those managers! They should be more like Link - he kept the place clean!

Oh well, time to talk shop; Jo's favourite part, sarcasm. Big Z preferred doing this part of their dealings. "Ahhh, so you two are newcomers," she noted. That would explain several things, such as: the duo was concerned about their pocketbook, the driver had absolutely no clue how engage people humbly, and - this was the biggie - they both smelled like ripe pickings to the wrong crowd.

Newbies, she'll tell ya.

"Seems you need quite the assortment in order to be at the top of your game," Jo remarked. Think she should show these two some mercy despite the driver's rudeness? Eh, why not. "Since you're both green behind the ears - or wheels in your case - I'm going to offer you a one time-only discount. I'll repair one of your desired upgrades free of charge. That'll help you two get back on the right track, what do you say?" That sounded like a sweet deal. Now, Big Z may or many not glance at he from the corner of his eyes at this, but... Mwaha, it was as K.A.R.R. said~! Jo was the, ahem, Head Mechanic - this was her house, her rules! He was still the Financial Overseer, though... A damn stern one, too.
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:26 am

Deer? K.A.R.R. was trying to pass off the undercarriage's damage as deer? Well, what do you know? Much to the Dark Judge's dismay it worked. He quietly grumbled a dark phrase or two and fought the urge to loudly retort with something... unpleasant. Judge Fear had threatened to become unruly if the technician wouldn't comply, but it appeared she did have a brain in that thick skull of hers. More filler talk... More effortlessly fibbing... All rather mundane and uneventful, personally. There wasn't anything a good massacre couldn't fix - anything compared to this drivel. Nevertheless, K.A.R.R. was presenting itself as quite the smooth-talker; already the technician was becoming more amiable by the honeyed syllable. Boring, truly... And a motel? Ugh, spare the ghoul!

Judge Fear had heard enough! He did not survive a dimension-wide cataclysm to stand here and listen to this! The Dark Judge was meant to kill - to purge! What would his brothers think if Judge Fear was dragged around like some toady? "Hnngh..." Tired of playing along, the superfiend approached K.A.R.R.'s passenger side and sharply bent at the hip. He loudly rapped his bony knuckles against glass and hoped the technician would jump and die of a heart attack. How delightful~!

"I am going to leave you," he hissed, tone indicative that there will be no persuading his mind otherwise. The Dark Judge could sincerely take no more of this idle chitchat. "I trust you will continue to barter with this technician, K.A.R.R. You have already proven yourself to be fluent in lip service." Bitter, indeed. Glaring at the living woman sitting comfortably within the vehicle's cockpit, Judge Fear once more hissed his stark disapproval at her accepted presence and abruptly turned away. There were thousands of sinners to redeem and not nearly enough power in this meager body to usher about Judgement Day. The Dark Judge certainly couldn't bring the damned to their knees through charm and good looks!

He left and did not look back, Judge Fear's focus hellbent on getting more of what he currently lacked: power.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Ah yes, the deer story. Proven then and now to be a classic cover up for the more suspicious dents and dings in a vehicle's body. Luckily the mechanic did not ask further about how they hit the deer or where, instead noting that the two had seen plenty of land. The topic quickly changed back to the AI and the paperwork that had been previously neglected. "I had a feeling I would be, we heard nothing but good things about your shop when we asked around for a Mechanic Shop to stop at." KARR agreed, duly content that the mechanic was content with working on a vehicle like himself. Maybe she had worked on prototype robotics before. As for the motel however, the AI quickly cooked something up to cover it. "The name escapes me, but it was a run down place farther out. It was fairly cheap, but for good reason." He said casually. Given the nature of the place he doubted that she would want to ask further or want to know how to get a reservation.

KARR's optics flicked over to the window as he noticed Judge fear sulk over and rap on the driver's side window. So the Dark Judge was going to leave, "Very well, enjoy the fresh air-" Did he just say lip service? The AI paused for a moment rolling the term over in his processor for a few seconds before coming to a final conclusion. "...What is lip service?" He asked to himself quietly, watching Judge Fear lurk off into the city. However, the AI had little time to analyse the saying further, as there was still business to speak of.

A discount for a free upgrade? "I certainly cannot complain with that." He said agreeably. It may not have been the same as getting a free tune up from a hijacked technician or a simple boat worker, but it was generous with the current circumstance. Especially generous with how the first part of the negotiations had gone.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:07 am

They heard nothing but good things? Well, consider that a pleasant surprise! Of course, Jo was a through-and-through native of Tradeworld; although K.A.R.R. was a pleasant conversationalist, the mechanic could tell when she was being charmed. Nevertheless, that didn't mean the AI wasn't very good at interpersonal skills. "You flatter me, K.A.R.R., but I'll have you know that I am the only mechanic around. There's no competition on the entire Breach." Kind of weird and convenient, now that she thought about it... Oh well, can't say Jo was - !?

Tap, tap, tap!

WHY wrote:"I am going to leave you."
    "Holy pulsars!" Jo jumped a few inches within her seat, hair raised. What!? Who!? Oh, terrific. It was none other than K.A.R.R.'s really eerie driver. The mechanic eased herself down, none too pleased. "Good," she grumbled, smoothing out the wrinkles in her work overalls. The sooner that creep vacated her shop, the sooner Jo could have some peace of mind. "And hey! It's mechanic, buddy!" she shouted after the disrespectful goon while leaning out from K.A.R.R.'s window. Eh, whatever. She stopped brandishing her fist and pulled herself back inside, aggravated. "Your driver is a royal pain in the butt. Lip service... Hmph! He's pretty much saying you're just another brown-noser who's trying to cozy up. Granted, you are rather smooth with your words but you're not sucking anything of mine." The AI could fill in the rest at its leisure. Anyway...

That sour note having dealt with itself, it was time to finalize things. "Okay, perfect. You just walk me through with what you need fixing and I'll get right on it," Jo said. "Depending on the damage you've sustained from both the elements and you being new on Portal Breach, I'll work the best of my magic. What do you want for free, by the way? Your crummy driver already told me the list of repairs you have."

Once K.A.R.R. chose what it preferred, the mechanic could sooner get to work and make this vehicle's dreams come true. Oh, almost forgot to talk about a price! "My initial inspection most likely won't do, so I'll need to take further looks beneath your hood, etc. I'm sure the overall charges will be reasonable." She remembered what it was like being a newbie long ago, don't you worry.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 am

She was the only mechanic on the entire planet? The AI paused for a few seconds as he mulled that fact over. How could her shop be the only one on the entirety of Portal Breach, it was, well impossible in all manner of logic. "That certainly explains why we heard only your name from those we asked." KARR admitted, slightly taken aback by that bit of recent information. "Truly, you are the only mechanic shop on the entire planet?" He asked, still in a state of disbelief. The amount of people here, the sheer numbers who have technology... How was she not swamped with work?

While the AI had seen the ghoul coming, apparently Jo had been none the wiser about his presence. At her startling and displeasure with the lanky Judge, the AI could only give one explanation and it had been given long before already. Dear Judge Fear was a bit under the weather. Maybe an undead version of the menses. While KARR had been left puzzled by Judge Fear's statement, Jo had quickly deciphered what the ghoul's slang truly meant. "...Is that so." He responded slowly. If the AI could cast a glare in his driver's direction, it would have been mean enough to burn a hole in his skin-tight uniform. "His statement is unfounded." He replied coolly, and left it at that. When he returned however...

KARR performed a scan of himself, a low whoosh emanating from the yellow light bar upon his nose. After a few moments, the AI spoke up again, the CRT flickering to life with a light blue schematic of his body that rotated slowly on a field of black. "I have pinpointed the corrosion to my inner and outer stators and centrifugal compressor, along with the fuel lines and seals to both the combustion chamber and afterburners. The turbine fan also shows signs of corrosion that needs to be treated." The AI stated as the image on the screen zoomed in on his engine and highlighted the damaged areas in red. "The fuel tank and part of the line leading to the turbojets have large patches of corrosion, Especially on the bottom panel of the fuel tank. It has gotten so damaged there is fuel leakage. Take caution in your inspection of it, my engines run on liquid hydrogen." The image slowly moved over to a visual of the tank, highlighting the areas with corrosion in varying shades of red, likely depending on the severity.

"I suggest we tend to the engine first and then focus on my circuitry and other functions after." KARR advised, zooming the schematic image out once Jo had her fill of assessing the damage that needed to be treated. As for what the AI would like to choose for his free service however... He took a moment to think, weighing out the possible price of each component that could be done with a price. Within a minute he presented his answer. "I would prefer that my Molecular Bonded Shell be tended to free of charge." As for the mechanic requiring an inspection of the vehicle's engines and systems, he was more than happy to oblige. "As you wish, Jo." He agreed, the hood unlocking with a click. "You may take your inspection."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Sorry to burst your oily bubble, K.A.R.R., but that was indeed correct! Jo nodded a second time before answering, "Yep! It's just lil' old me doing all of the mechanic work on Portal Breach. Well, officially. If there's someone else who's out there fixing machines or doing honest work in the same vein, I haven't heard a peep about 'em. I've been here for... three years? Yeah, I think three years and I have yet to see someone else open up a shop like mine." Now, she didn't know whether to be proud or to be just... well, sad. Probably a mixture of both... Anyway, seems there was trouble in paradise.

K.A.R.R. was none too pleased with its driver's shameless remark, and the driver? Pfft, might as well forget about that guy. He went off to do his own thing, no doubt. So long as that creep did away from here, Jo didn't care. She might've if the mechanic was aware of what he was doing, though.

No good will come out of Mr. Tall, Dark, and Stinky. But enough about him.

Jo's attention drew itself to a CRT monitor and studied the schematic K.A.R.R. presented her with, her mind deep in concentration. "I see..." Already she knew that getting to the fuel lines and compressor will require her to take apart K.A.R.R.'s engine; that'll be an all-day thing, right there. "You've certainly got a lot of damage you've suffered. I'm amazed you haven't fallen to pieces by now or stalled out in the middle of nowhere." Liquid hydrogen, was it? Jo committed that to memory and will have to ask Big Z for help - didn't want to lose her fingers! Or anything else important, for that matter. Nevertheless, K.A.R.R.'s schematic was immensely helpful and Jo had a much better grasp of what to do. "Okay, so we are definitely focusing on your engine troubles first," she agreed. No way she was letting K.A.R.R. sit here with that kind of mechanical trauma. She didn't know what a Molecular Bonded Shell was, but a promise was a promise. "Alright, then I shall fix your MBS free of charge. Consider it on the house." Ooh, and K.A.R.R. even unlocked the hood for her.

Stepping out from the vehicle, Jo made her way over toward K.A.R.R.'s front and dug her fingers beneath the hood in question. Wow... Molecular Bonded Shell, was it? Consider that some heavy piece of work! She huffed a tad but did manage to successfully lift the hood, propping it up so she could better inspect K.A.R.R.'s insides. "Hmm..." While the vehicle was state-of-the-art from his world, probably Earth, K.A.R.R. wasn't more difficult than the average space-faring vessel. Granted, she typically didn't tinker on those but there was a first for everything.

"Okay," she said, lowering the hood. "I've gotten a good idea of what I'm working with, so come on down to the back of the building. My employee and I are going to work on you but let me call him in early, first. You go ahead and get cozy in the meanwhile." Jo left her customer and went back inside, where she picked up the nearby phone and got busy with her lip service.

...Big Z and afternoons just didn't get along.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:57 pm

So it was indeed true that she was the only mechanic. However, with the variable given that there could be another around who simply had not shared the same amount of attention the AI eased somewhat. It was plausible, it was logical, and therein it was one less impossible circumstance that tumbled about his processors. "Perhaps there is another around that has not been heard of." He mused idly. "For there to be only one shop is logically impossible given the population."

As the mechanic took a long look at the CRT monitors, it was becoming evident that he may as well be here for most of the day. Perfect for the AI that he and his driver left when they did to travel to the city, it was early afternoon and they had a long while to go. "Yes, my systems are designed to handle many conditions, and endure extensive damage for as long as need be." He replied, nearly proud of his durability. Of course, that did not mean he did not require the skilled touch of a mechanic or technician alike. Though how he was running with such extensive damage to his systems was indeed a mystery in itself even to the AI. Jo seemed to share the sentiment, agreeing to look at his engine first.

KARR observed as she walked about to his front, lifting the hood with some effort and looking inside. There was evidence of amateur patching in some areas, obviously by unskilled hands and a minimal budget. Electrical tape, shrink wrap and a few other cludge-worthy devices were used to keep the AI's engines running. Obviously the work of his previous owner before he arrived here. He was indeed state of the art for the most part, a few dark colored devices winking in the shade of his hood while the turbine sat under a hard plastic covering. Once her assessment was over she addressed him. Apparently the damage was extensive enough to require a second set of hands, not that the AI minded. "Very well, I will go wait at the back." He agreed, waiting for the mechanic to leave back into the shop before firing his engines. KARR idled to the back before letting his turbines fall silent. Unlike the Dark Judge, he had no issues with waiting patiently.

Though he wondered who would be joining Jo for the afternoon. Possibly the technician that he heard about in the wastelands, or maybe it would be the robot...
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Time: 19:16
    Date: September 5, 0004

"So, how are you feeling?"

The monarch wiped both hands upon a dirtied rag and glanced up at the two-toned vehicle, Zurg currently retiring a wide assortment of tools into their proper places. It was rather messy in the store's back area but that was to be expected when working with Jo. He idly set down his gloves and approached the machine, stopping to lean against a nearby workbench. "I hope these repairs are to your liking, K.A.R.R. The corrosion had damaged quite a bit of you, but thankfully you came to us when you did." The monarch offhandedly gestured to the pieces of worn metal lying in a useless heap on an adjacent table. "We've also given you a fresh supply of liquid hydrogen, although I find that to be a most curious fuel choice." Finished lounging about as he was a man who preferred working, Zurg found something to occupy his hands with and remained set on tidying things up for the night.

"You will find that your Molecular Bonded Shell has been fortified with a special coating," the monarch added. That was an expensive freebie, yet he knew why Jo had agreed to part with it. "And I have overseen your circuitry problems. Both of your Beta and Lambda arrangements are back up to speed, as they should be. While my boss has gone home for the night to enjoy dinner, you should be happy to note that your engine had been taken apart, cleaned, repaired, and pieced back together. There wasn't a single square inch we didn't cover." When they worked together, there wasn't a thing neither Jo or he couldn't handle.

Dat laser, tho.

Zurg had found that to be a most peculiar fitment. Why would a terrestrial vehicle need a laser, of all things? "We've also brought your forward battery online, but do try not to exhaust it foolishly. The corrosion from your last world has made you brittle for the time being. I'm sure that will change the longer you stay on the Breach. It has a vexing way of showing appreciation."

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 am

Once the employee had been called in, no time had been wasted for them to get to work, save for perhaps a discussion about the free upgrade. The engine had been pulled and refitted with fresh parts and the fuel tank had been restored, his circuitry repaired and upgraded properly, and his scanner re-calibrated among many other things. Thankfully the duo had not decided to remove his CPU from the vehicle body, nor did they decide to deactivate his lesser functions such as speech, vision and hearing. In all it had been a far more productive day than his first, the AI decided, his optics resting on the overall wearing alien that stood before him.

upon being asked how he was feeling, KARR started his engine with a low whine of his turbines, gradually revving and idling before making his assessment. "My engine is running far smoother now, thank you." He evenly stated. A few chiming beeps echoed from within the cockpit as he ran the diagnostic analyzer once more, checking over his systems for signs of higher performance. "Some of my more damaged functions have been restored to operable capability as well." He added pleasantly. With the additions of a renewed tank of fuel and a fully repaired laser, the AI was feeling much better than before, despite the fact that his more offensive systems were still offline. However, so long as he did not have a lock on what the problem could be, he doubted that the technician could be of much use. The special coating they placed on him would be fitting of a scan later, its contents were as mysterious as those of his MBS now that he thought about it.

What Zurg had said next though was most interesting. "How do you mean?" He wondered, killing the engine once more. "Logically it would make no sense that I would improve over time with no assistance from a technician. Only an organic creature would be able to regain their strength over time through the healing ability of their own bodies." KARR noted.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Ah, good. It was nice to see that K.A.R.R. did not immediately burst into flames from any of the repairs they had done. That was certainly a welcome outcome. "Good to hear it," replied the monarch. "Although neither my boss or myself are from Earth, figuring out your inner systems wasn't more difficult than the average space-faring vessel." Zurg was sure that Jo was well aware of this already, of course. It had been a more difficult than average task and not something his employer was accustomed to, but they had managed all the same. Not everything had been brought online, however. Looks like K.A.R.R. was going to be in for a real treat, because the vehicle sounded perplexed.

"No doubt you've already experienced what I like to call decay; you should have felt weak the moment you arrived on the Breach." Now, before anyone spouted this off as some ominous misfortune - which it was, to some degree - Zurg was here to tell K.A.R.R. that there was a silver lining somewhere. "It's not something that can be rebuilt or regained through logical methods," he continued. "The longer you stay on the Breach and interact, the stronger you inherently become. It's all very hard to explain, trust me, but it does happen nevertheless. While there are components to your body that can provide for you a necessary or desirable advantage, they will remain inert until you reach a certain point in your progression. Consider it a learning curve, if you will. It's rather steep, hence my suggestion that you don't do anything foolish." But the automobile seemed to be quite a level-headed fellow and Zurg already knew that AIs tended to be more... self-preserving when compared to the more reckless organics he had known throughout the years.

Ahem, Delila.

Placing that memory aside, the monarch had much higher hopes that K.A.R.R. would be methodical - as machines are wont to be - when it began conducting its business throughout the Breach. After all, repairs such as these weren't cheap and mistakes could rack up a costly bill in record time. Some sagely advice ought to keep K.A.R.R. on the right track. "A word to the wise: if you ever find yourself running low on parts, visit the Tech-Dome. It's out in the wastes but fairly recognizable even from a distance. The place is practically littered with mechanical odds and ends. Perhaps if you bring a few things the next time you need fixing, we might be able to work out a deal." Ah, business... How Zurg loved it so. There was one more thing, though.

"And... stay away from Prixlezub," he added hesitantly. "You won't recognize the name, but listen to me well on this one: you anger Prixlezub, he will begin a relentless pursuit and eat you. He's a giant demon, you see. A giant demon who devours metals. You do the math." Red hide, curly horns, mane of fire; you couldn't miss the demon if you tried.

Particularly the thoom-thoom.

K.A.R.R.
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by K.A.R.R. on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:20 am

That comparison, KARR admittedly had been more used to being compared to nothing more than an absolute wonder, a marvel from previous drivers and his later technician John alike. To now become on level with a space faring vehicle, an average one at that... Well, the AI was not so sure how to reply. It seemed both a compliment and a degradation at the same time. However, he was not silent for long. "I see, it is nice to hear my systems were not too much of a puzzle for you to repair." He decided. "You and Jo's generosity shall not be forgotten."

As for the lesson that was to be learned on the other hand, the AI felt it prudent to initiate a recording of the Technician's lecture. Despite all the alien had said, KARR still felt rather... Perplexed. His abilities were locked until he had grown to a certain point? Developed? What was there for him to develop, he was the prototype, one of a kind and superior to both man and lesser machine. The wisdom of the ages was locked into his data banks; science, history, mathematics, anything he needed to know was at his very command. Unless... The AI pondered over Zurg's words in silence. For all his knowledge and artificial wisdom, of this world he knew nothing. Even the first vehicles he had scanned over were a strange bunch, alien in all manner of the term. It reminded him of a rather old saying. "...In order to fill your cup, you must empty it first." He remarked distantly to himself, it may not apply completely to the situation, but it was certainly close enough. "What should I do in order to reach this progressing point?" He asked. Certainly if the alien had been here long enough to know that there was a learning curve to follow, he would know how to attain it.

Word of the tech dome certainly got some sparks firing in his CPU, free parts and possibly the ones he could use for an upgrade. "I will keep that in mind." He stated, storing the information away for further reference. The final word of advice the alien gave however, KARR was unsure how to process it. A giant demon with a taste for metals? It sounded like something out of a children's book than an actual creature to fear. Then again, he was talking with a purple, horned alien currently and the AI's current driver was an undead creature with a knack for poor social skills. Anything that could be said here would be wise to take to heart at the moment. "I can see where it would be wise to stay away from him, though I must wonder, where does this demon frequent?" A few details to keep from accidentally running over his feet and sparking a chase, and keeping a certain Judge from going on a hunt of his own should he have the gall.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Generosity won't be forgotten, hmm? We'll have to see about that. "You can progress numerous ways," Zurg answered with a slight shrug. "Some like to fight, others like to explore, and a very select handful prefer doing absolutely nothing. I suppose these individuals are simply biding their time. It really all depends on your lifestyle, personally." The more rambunctious lot didn't mind cracking a few skulls, including theirs, and there was always an eager partner for some spar or other. As for the explorers? Well, if they didn't come back then more opportunity for you! "You seem like a calculated series of 1s and 0s, so most likely you will choose your battles wisely. I really can't stress that last word enough." This place could be downright ruthless if one didn't pay heed.

Now, where does Prixlezub frequent? The monarch paused and pondered what he knew with deliberation. "Hmm, everywhere. The demon goes where he pleases and all that," he replied. "He's a rather big fellow, so open spaces are more preferred than something either you and I would feel comfortable in. Take this humble building, for example." Of course Prixlezub could just wreck it but that'd be incredibly rude! Or, you know, employ the use of magics.

There was really no need to spoil all of Prixlezub's secrets, as that took the fun out of everything.

"Many people around here think Prixlezub is either hard to understand with or they don't know how to understand. I can assure you he's more content to go about his business than he is to rampage and eat people for no good reason. Well, so long as you don't insult him or bring about a good helping of disrespect. Whichever comes first." So long as K.A.R.R. and this driver Zurg kept hearing about kept their pretty noses clean, they didn't have to worry a thing. Usually... As long as the monarch has known the demon prince, the only time Prixlezub got big for his paws was when he and Zurg were still rivals. And, who could forget, when the demon prince had an ego the size of a small moon. Fun times, fun times. Life was funny, though... Zurg may not know it yet, but he was going to add being cursed to that list in several short days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 am