Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Re: Hunting

Post by Arro on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Arrogath watched his charge carefully as he spoke, and continued to as Nym ventured forth into the hills ahead. He remained atop the crest he'd surmounted to retain a view of the field.

Descending into the grasses, stepping carefully as instructed, Nym approached the crow. The large corvid was utterly consumed with a find of it's own. A rodent felled by disease and as of yet untouched by larger predators. It pecked at it, attempting to drag the rigid body off to a safer location. Perhaps it's nostrils were suffocated with the scent, it's eyes too focused on it's prize. Whatever the reason, the bird's guard was down. And Nym took full advantage of it.

Nym lunged out from the grass, practically landing on top of the surprised bird. He was too close, there was no space to flee. Nym snatched the smaller creature in his jaws, and with a crack of the neck, the crow's story had ended. The dragon's ears flicked atop his head, his nostrils flared slightly in the cold sun. A small bundle of energy floated away, cut free from the web around him.

Arro tilted his head considerately and watched as Nym slowly trotted back up the hill.

The disheveled creature dropped the faded bird at his feet. Specks of blood soaked the fur of his muzzle, below that more had darkened his canines. Incomparable was this to his vivid eyes, within which Arro could see the spark of a dawning hunger. Nym had his first taste of the thrill of the hunt, a real hunt, regardless of the stature of the prey. He was hooked.

"Any kill is worthwhile if it feeds you."

Arro kneeled down in the grass to Nym's level, and hovered a hand over the bird.

"You did well. A bird's most powerful sense is vision, they're hard to sneak up on. And crows are clever, a trickier target."

He pressed a single talon into the bird's center chest, and dragged it down across the stomach. As he did so the bird's feathers and skin peeled away, as if being unzipped from it's clothes. A notable lack of blood of any kind expressed his familiarity with the practice. Underneath it's black coat the bird revealed powerful pectoral muscles. The largest parcels of meat it's body held, as they were what powered the bird into the air. The image would be familiar to anyone who's ever eaten a chicken before.

"A bird has less meat on it than you'd imagine, they're lightweight creatures, mostly bone and feather. But for now the larger ones like this crow are big enough for you. In the future, when you grow older you'll be more discerning of the prey you choose. You never want to spend more energy chasing and catching prey than you'll receive from eating it."

As to the business of eating, Arro wondered what Nym would do. He usually just ate creatures such as this whole. But Nym likely didn't have his digestive system. Depending on how decadently he'd been fed prior he may have some trouble stomaching raw meat.

"The organs are as edible as the meat. I can cook this for you if desired, but you'll want to get used to raw food at some point, a fire isn't always an option depending on the weather and climate."
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 41

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 pm

The words Arro spoke caused Nym to beam, interested in hearing any other directions the dragon had for him. Instead, he sunk to his level, poking the crow with his talon and skinned it effortlessly. Normally, this would entice Nym to turn away, disgusted and feeling a little sickened, but he watched with great intrigue... and slight disgust. It was pretty gross, no matter how fascinating it was as well. The crow he had caught was split open before him, and Arro explained that birds and other fowl had little meat on them, depending on the size.

His head tilted, taking a sniff of the insides out of curiosity. The scent that filled his nostrils wasn't disgusting--for some reason, his fur stood up, his pupils dilated and he let out a strangely satisfied sigh. "You're a wonderful teacher, Arro." Indeed, but once the subject of eating came around, Nym's stomach immediately turned sour.

Despite his strange blood and hunt lust, it disappeared with the mention of eating the raw meat that laid before him, and now, he wished to puke. He wouldn't, though, that would be rude, but Arro had offered to cook the bird for him. In fact, Nym was going to ask if he could maybe heat it a little... or until it was rare. He didn't mind bloody meat, but he did enjoy it cooked...

"Er--well, if that's okay?... I... well, I like catching things!... But I don't know if I'm ready to eat them... raw..." his eyes widened a little, the infamous 'puppy-dog eyes' to his teacher to give a little more hint. "What does it taste like raw, though?... If I can catch something else, I could try and..." he stopped, the though making him gulp loudly and scrunch his nose.

Perhaps not.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Level : 52

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:50 am

He smiled thinly at the youth's compliment. A teacher, it was never a role he'd envisioned himself in. And it felt odd to hear aloud. There was so much he himself had left to learn, thousands of things he didn't know. But here he was. It seemed regardless of his inexperience, direct knowledge proved hard to screw up passing along. He was glad he could help this hatchling. It strangely made him feel closer to his father in doing so.

Nym's response to the suggestion of consuming the creature as it was did not surprise him. This was a different strain of thought, one that was still foreign to the young digimon. Arrogath felt no such revulsion, it was natural to him, ingrained and automatic. Food was not usually thought about, only consumed. He ate things raw, or cooked depending on preference. Fire sterilizes and eases the digestion, but raw had it's own allure. The primary difference was not of taste but of texture. The singed crackle of flesh slicing between teeth was addicting, but so was the smooth bloody sinew of un-fired muscle.

He stood up, and stretched out.

"Sure" he nodded, in answer to Nym's first inquiry.

As for the second, it gave him pause.

"The texture changes more than the taste," was his eventual answer. He didn't know what Nym was used to eating and lacked a proper reference point. What tasted good to him may taste unpleasant to the digimon. Arro had rarely eaten food flavored with anything other than blood, and though he didn't know it, his tastebuds weren't as varied as those of humans.

"...Actually, I've a better idea. Follow me and bring your catch."

Rather than cook it for him, he was going to teach Nym how to build a fire and cook it himself.

Arro rose from the hilltop, wings tucked tightly about him in the wind, and began headed back towards the shadows of the sleeping trees. While walking he kept an eye out for any kindling, plucking up dried looking branches and tinder with the free thumbs of his wings as he traveled. It would become obvious swiftly what his intentions were. This was something Arro himself never had to do, but he'd observed Maud performing the task when young and fireless, and so could pass on her knowledge to Nym.
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 pm

The dog backed up as the dragon stood and stretched, explaining that cooking it wouldn't change the taste, just texture. This was true of course, Nym knew this--it'd be more crispy than... well, slimy as he predicted by looking at the insides. The idea of eating something slimy wasn't pleasing. Sitting and waiting, Arro eventually told him to follow him? "Yessir," he said without hesitation, though curious, as he carefully picked up his meal and carried it along with him, following the dragon closely.

Nym fell behind every so often as he needed to make sure his catch was not getting dirty or dragging as he walked on all fours, something he seemed to prefer to do at the moment. It felt... far more natural at the time. The dragon picked things up that Nym could not see, still focused on keeping the kill clean as possible, until eventually Arro had items in view.

Oh! They were going to make a fire! Nym had recalled wanting to make one during that camping event in the Sanctuary, but it was inside and that would've been disastrous.

The crow was placed upon a rock that Nym hopped upon, guarding it from a few other scavenging birds that circled overhead, "will I get to be making the fire?" he asked as he hovered over the dead bird and watched Arro cling to the debris he had collected. "I can do it whenever you'd like me to start, sir!"
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:45 am

They entered the woods sheltered embrace. A latticework of barren limbs and branches barred the wind of the field from following, and new sounds and sights took over. The whistle of grass traded places with the crackling crunch of shuffled leaves piled high in waves of red and orange. They waded through the fiery sea with little else than the cold and occasional caw to accompany them. Without thinking, Arro began to rumble amid the silence. A strange lyrical tone emerged from his chest, that naturally complemented the subtle sounds of their austere surroundings. Little was sung, though occasional snatches of words rose into the tune.

After a few minutes of quiet walking and collecting did they find a suitable place to build a fire. An old stone strewn path shielded from the scant wind by two oaks and their hills of roots. A few large mossy boulders were strewn around the premises.

Arrogath cleared a large swath of debris with a sweep of his tail and set his kindling down. There was a small bundle of dried out branches and bark, but they'd likely need more. Nym occupied one of the rocks across from him, mindfully holding his catch as a stray kestrel hovered overhead.

"Will I get to be making the fire?" he asked as he hovered over the dead bird. "I can do it whenever you'd like me to start, sir!"

Arrogath exhaled in an approving manner.

"Mmm, you already know how?" He looked up from the grid of wood he'd been composing, seemingly pulled from a reverie.

He then leaned away to sit in an adjacent pile of leaves. They exuded a scented release of decay as his weight disturbed the litter.  

"Go ahead, be my guest." Anything else Nym would need to start the fire could be found nearby. Arrogath prepared to wait and watch how he'd proceed.
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:47 am

my goldfish memory made me forget this thread like a derp, please forgive me -n-

Right! He could make a fire! He read about it in the many nature books he had. Nym made sure his bird would not be taken by any predators, and he hopped off the rock over to the area. Let's see, what did he need? Arro had gathered pretty much everything of course, but he read things needed to be place in a specific order. First, he needed some decently thick logs. Searching the pile, Nym picked up a few logs and started to stack them symmetrically, as if building a small house.

Taking the leaves and the other small debris that could be set ablaze, Nym started to put them in the 'house' of sorts, until it was a filled. A few more sticks were placed atop the pile, and it looked as though Nym was finished. One of the thicker sticks were taken, and sharped against a rock, where Nym began to rub it against the other sticks furiously. Doing it the old fashioned way via sticks! Considering he had more strength than a regular human and was faster as well, it would've taken little time for the fire to start.

But due to the cold, it took a little longer, and just before Nym was about to give up, some sparks flared and the leaves began to burn, and the twigs as well. And soon, a fire had started!

"Ow..." now he remembered why he should wear his gloves at times--the spinning of the stick hurt his paws, he turned it so fast! But there it was, a fire, just as Arro had asked! No smugness this time or pride, Nym was just happy to see the fire and got a little close, feeling the warmth for a moment and getting lost in it.

"It feels nice..." he commented before getting up and fetching his kill. Now it was time to cook it, and although he had never really cooked anything before, he had seen Aya do it enough times to know one rule--always watch what you're doing. Or else you'll burn it! "... Should I put a stick in it, or should I make a thingie... those uhm..." oh what were they called.

The thing they put pigs on over fires? He had forgotten the word, but hopefully Arro either knew what he was talking about, or some other method.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 am

As Arro watched Nym work, he felt his maw slowly taken over by a look of mild surprise. In weather like this birthing a flame tended to be an incredibly time consuming process without flint. But within a matter of minutes Nym had started a fire with the friction of sticks. The little creature had more strength and speed in his limbs than met the eye.

As the canine let out a mild yelp Arro sensed he didn't yet have a full grasp on his abilities either.

The fire was growing now, gaining strength from eating and cracking the dried out tree fiber. Arro stretched out towards the warmth with a contented sigh. His scales facing the fire fluttered up to let the heat in under their shells.

"... Should I put a stick in it, or should I make a thingie... those uhm..."

He cocked an ear.

"A spit? Your bird isn't big enough for that. That would be useful for big meals that take a long time cooking."

He craned his neck to peer through the woods. Nym needed something smaller to hold the bird over the flames with.

"There's a stick behind you there that looks about right."

He hoped Nym didn't have too many questions about where to go from here. Arro didn't exactly have any experience in the realm of food preparation. He didn't know how human Nym was in habits and preferences. Would he want to pluck it? Gut it? Whenever Arro roasted birds their plumage disintegrated quickly, but that was dragon fire, it was hotter than their kindling breed.
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:46 am

Right! A spit! But it seemed like he wasn't able to do so--the bird was too small. A little disappointing since those things always looked sort of neat, but Nym nodded in understanding and looked behind him when Arro pointed out a perfect stick to hoist the bird above and cook it upon the fire. Plunk went the bird and made a squishy noise with the stick, and Nym started to pull the feathers off. Most of them, at least. He did it with great speed as his arms were use to moving quickly, such as with punching his opponent or some other means of fighting.

Luckily for Arro, Nym didn't really have other questions regarding this hunt, as his bird was being cooked and he was focused on getting it just right. He did, however, have some questions regarding the dragon. "Thank you for helping me, Arro. It's really hard to focus in the city. I feel bad when I go after things there, anyway, since people always look at me." He blinked for a few moments before turning the bird over and then the questions started... but they weren't too hard, hopefully! "What was it like the first time you arrived here?"

That seemed simple enough?
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 pm

It seemed he did not. Arrogath watched Nym as he skewered and roasted his bird. Observing the foreign yuvah's movements and mannerisms. He wrapped himself in his tail and lowered his head towards the fire while Nym cooked.

"Thank you for helping me, Arro. It's really hard to focus in the city. I feel bad when I go after things there, anyway, since people always look at me."

Arro tilted his head towards Nym in the firelight, nodding. He understood. Arro struggled with similar vices.

In the wildlands savagery was exchanged without the blink of an eye. For a human, you were as likely to meet a scavenger team as you were a roving band of mercenaries, if you met anyone at all. As a drai all your encounters were likely to be confrontations when met outside of colony borders. Even so, what might be natural for a drai could create tension when exhibited in human quarters. It could be expected that if cooperation between the two races had been allowed to grow their species would have eventually learned to coexist, like he had with Maud. But most had seen it safer to subdue their natural instincts than risk an incident.

But in the breach Arro found it hard to care what the population of a single city thought of him. There were stranger things roaming the streets than a lone dragon. Nym spent more time in suburbia than himself so his caution may be the wiser choice.

Honestly he wasn't sure what to say. Though he felt a responsibility to say something.

"You're welcome," a start. He fished for words, speaking slowly and deliberately as he found them, "...Don't think what you do is wrong because someone tells you so. Isolating your real self, or being yourself, is a choice of tact." But one of morality? He was uncertain. Going by humans, he'd never been good with morality.

"Master your instinctual urges, rather than subdue them. They live to serve you." It was a slim distinction between suppression and control but an important one. It was the difference between chasing and pinning your prey for practice and actually sinking the teeth in when the hunger wasn't there. The difference between dodging a bullet or having your muscles torn to knots.

A comfortable silence settled onto the woods. As for a few moments Nym tended to his bird in quiet thought. Arro folded his hands beneath him and pulled his extremities close, keeping himself warm and sinking his weight into the leaves.

"What was it like the first time you arrived here?"

Arro blinked and flicked his gaze up. He wondered what had prompted that. Silence overcame him for a few moments. His thoughts wandered, and a turmoil greeted them. Threatening to cloud his mind with memories of still scabbing wounds. But the question had caught him off guard, the storm couldn't sway him.

He summarized his response in three words, his pupils shifting to the ground and darting about as he considered himself.

"Disorienting, confusing... distressing."

He wasn't prepared for the question obviously, but he wasn't sugar coating his response. But his clipped tongue probably boded some explanation. Looking up, he could already see the follow up questions coming.

"You hatched here, but like most other residents of the breach I was born elsewhere. I was accustomed to a very different kind of world and culture than what passes in this place... It takes some... getting used to," he shook his head and rephrased "I'm still not used to it."
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:37 am

At first, Nym was happy to show what he could do, especially to a skilled hunter like Arro. But as the subject changed to Portal Breach, his happiness began to melt into a frown. He wasn't sad or upset, but he couldn't help but feel some kind of empathy with Arro. This place was nice to Nym, but he did have to deal with some strange and awkward situations. He knew how it was for some people here: it was scary, and hard to deal with, and it wasn't as easy as it seemed. Nym was lucky, as he had people to take care of him when he was born. Not a lot of people had that.

"It looks like to me you're doing really good for yourself, though!" he said with some enthusiasm. Sure, this place is probably something a few people could never get used to, but when you can at least live here and know how to deal with things, that's the best you can do, right? "You're strong, you're smart, you're fast, you're a good hunter... I think despite how you feel about this place, you fit in really well."

CRUNCH.

Mm... crunchy cooked bird. Delicious.

"I bet you've done a lot here. A lot of people have done many great things. I hope to grow and get stronger, so I can do great things, too!"
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Nym's sincerity was appreciated. Though for a moment it struck Arrogath as odd, and it took a moment for him to track down the source of his mental withdrawal. That being, as fleeting as his presence was in populated areas, he hardly ever spoke to anyone. Nor was he when in battle predisposed to saying much to either enemies or allies. Both groups were often formed of collected strangers. And in the sanctuary, where everyone seemed consumed by mundane concerns or foreign frivolity Arro was disinclined to speak of his own concerns. And why would he? Even those whose company he enjoyed were more likened to acquaintances. Only meeting up with them when a battle called great numbers of civilians together. Arrogath was a dragon of little words, mostly speaking when spoken to and only offering information of himself when directly asked, or when it was direly prudent.

Ironic that someone so new to the breach would be the first person Arrogath spent this much time speaking with.

"Thank you, Nym" he replied, the corners of his long mouth twitching up. He had never gotten the hang of tackling compliments. Being considered a runt the majority of his life had deprived him of the power and pride carried by larger drai. He fought and served the colonies without expectations of approval or respect. To receive it so suddenly from anyone was alien.

But what Nym said was true. Arro had no trouble surviving the breach, he even thrived in it; the living here was substantially less complicated than the environment he'd grown in. But Arro hungered for a purpose greater than simple survival. He had helped obliterate a number of incursions since being thrust into this place, but none had been serious threats. Not once during any event had he doubted victory. They were all brawls, won as soon as the last enemy fell. And he could brawl from dusk to dawn. He craved a challenge. Something to stretch his mind and strain his body to the breaking point. Something to fear.

Looking at Nym though, bright and full of unburdened ardor, Arro refused to squander his youthful feelings with his own inner voracious aspirations. He didn't come here to burden Nym with the revelation of selfish desires.

So he grinned instead, his snaggle-toothed expression exuding comradely and insuperable levity. His scales and spikes fanning out behind his wedged skull like a windblown falcon.

"You will Nym, I don't doubt it. Train hard, and you may even be ready to participate by the next time the breach is threatened. Considering the place this is, it could be soon."

He was proud of the young hunter. He'd performed beyond his expectations. He wondered if he would take as well to fighting as he had to slaying clever corvids.

"Do you like the bird?" he inquired conversationally. Words, as usual, slipping from the throat without the company of major mouth movement.
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:59 pm

"Yes! It's very good and tastes better than the chicken we get at the market!" It tasted fresher, in a way, and also more... satisfying, probably because he had hunted it down himself. With Arro's help, of course, but it was still a proud moment to feast upon the fruits of your labor. "Are you hungry, Arro?" he asked, tilting his head and wondering if he'd get to see the dragon in action. Whether or not he would, he could just imagine Arro prowling quietly behind some huge beast, moving quietly closer and closer until he would spring up, wings opened and maw agape! Then down the beast would go, or a chase would commence!

What a great thought. He shook his head of it, though and finished the bird, eating up all the meat he could and licking the bones clean. Though the idea of keeping the bones as a trophy came to mind, he'd rather not hide them inside where Aya could find them. He could blame it on Mr. Soot, but that would be pretty mean of him! Instead, he buried the remains in a shallow hole, patting the ground evenly and placing a few leaves there.

Dusting off his paws of the earth, he looked to Arro, "Arro, sir, what else would you want to do?" he asked with a look of curiosity. By this point, anything could go, as Nym wasn't sure if Arro would prefer going off and hunting, or if he had maybe one or two more hunting tips to show the eager, small hunter.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:46 am

Arro rumbled happily as Nym bit eagerly into the bird, stripping it to the bone and licking the remains clean. He coiled his neck and nodded his head downward to rest on its smooth surface, retracting into himself to feel his own warmth. He listened while he rested to the distant chatter of birds and rustling of leaves. Focusing his senses on the unseen information surrounding their clearing even as he rested his gaze on the flickering firelight.

Nym paused from his bird, the lack of eating noises drawing Arro's gaze.

"Are you hungry, Arro?" he asked, tilting his head.

"Slightly, though my need isn't urgent" he replied. His body demanded much and he hunted often, but he didn't eat as frequently as he imagined Nym may have grown used to. Raised by multiple humanoids with edm-like habits could mean he'd become accustomed to three meals a day at specific times. Arro ate much more than edmr did, but not in predictable integers. It would take another day for his stomach to really bother him. But if he came across a meal beforehand he wouldn't hesitate to preemptively eat his fill.

Nym returned to his crow and swiftly finished. He disposed of the remains in a shallow hole and covered it with natural detritus. Dusting his paws off satisfactorily, he then turned back to Arro and with a curious look inquired what their next step was.

Arro stretched out and rose to his feet. He placed his claws on a nearby tree and dragged them through the bark, sharpening them and leaving ragged marks.

"If you want to continue, we could do several things," a few hours had passed since they'd met up, and the season dictated the sun would begin to set soon. He was unaware of whether Nym was expected elsewhere by any of his caretaker's, but if not... "I can show you other methods of hunting, we could continue to practice stalking, we could focus on fighting, or... you could help me hunt something."

He pushed off from the tree and landed back on all fours with a thwump in the leaf litter.

"Think of your strengths, weaknesses, and what needs honing."
    Nym
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    460/460  (460/460)
    Stamina Bar:
    82/82  (82/82)

Post by Nym on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 pm

When Nym was finished with his food, he buried the bones into the earth as a sort of grave and patted the area down before putting out the fire by digging dirt upon it. Nym then turned and looked at Arro, listening to him with ears perked up and tilted his head. It wasn't getting too late, but Nym needed to be within the city before nightfall. Another hunting session would be fine, but too much longer and Nym would be heading out into the field and city by night; something he promised Aya he would not do again. Despite this, the idea of helping Arro catch something... that sounded fun, and it would be a way to repay him for his kindness of teaching the young creature how to catch food himself.

"I would really like to assist you in hunting something with you, Arro. But after, I need to get going--Aya does not take kindly to me being out after dark. I don't want to worry her, but one more hunt would be really nice!" Grabbing his gear and putting it back on, Nym bumped his fists together and looked to Arro eagerly with what the drae had planned. "What are you thinking of hunting? Deer? Rabbit?" Probably not the latter, Arro would most likely want something like a full grown male deer to feast on! Or perhaps it wasn't the largest thing out in the fields for them to go after...?

This was Portal Breach after all... lots of things can happen.
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 am

He nodded, accepting Nym's decision. "Ljosv, and if the sun does threaten to set on us I'll fly you home myself," he vowed. He wouldn't be responsible for breaking any of Nym's obligations.

Arro turned towards the fire, he crouched and with a sweep of the tail smothered the flames with a damp pile of leaves. The moisture and decomposing plant matter suffocated the fire and filled the air with a smokey incense of decay.

He flicked his amber eyes up, penetrating the smoke as he spoke to Nym through the haze. "We'll be traveling deep into the woods, step lightly and keep close to me."

He turned decisively as the fire died, headed uphill where the trees and brambles grew dense. Arro trudged forth with his head slung low, and wings bound tightly to his sides, shaping his body into a sleek form that deflected away bristles and wandering branches. He persuaded the forest to flow around him rather than force his way through it's thistles. His long tail trailed behind, straight and shielding, creating a safe wake in which Nym could follow.

Arro moved in silence save for the occasional shuffling of leaf litter. Twining branches and falling leaves occasionally found themselves in his horns, but he didn't seem to mind, or didn't notice. Above, the crosshatched canopy sifted out light, allowing only trace amounts to reach the forest floor. Just enough for even average eyes to navigate by. What was to be increasingly seen both behind and before them was a sea of ruddy brambles. The latticework of dead bushes and thickets overlaying those behind, building up layer after layer into a maze of reds, browns and pale moss. Out of the sticks rose taller sentinels, tree after tree in such multitudes that they too became a maze. Adorning their trunks like scarves were blankets of moss and mushrooms, winding their way up on both deciduous and evergreen hosts alike. Underneath it all could be heard the occasional silence shattering skittering of unseen life, padding away in the undergrowth toward safety. If not that breach of quiet, it was the croak of a raven, or a crows caw that filled the airways.

Arro wasn't interested in any of these smaller creatures, but he walked as quietly among them as if he was. He knew where he was headed, but couldn't be certain of how far away his quarry had since traveled. He didn't want any of the smaller inhabitants alerting his intended targets to their presence. He knew they were close however when the small path they'd been making joined up with a forest highway. A straivalherl, a natural pathway created by the habitual movement of larger animals. As evidenced by the wide berth of the path, what moved through here was the size of a horse, or bigger.

He paused in the tract gulley, allowing Nym a moment to rest.

"This was made by what we're, or rather I'm after," Arro revealed. His voice low and harsh with natural rasp. He prowled a couple paces forward, his sharp muzzle pointing downwards and disturbing the litter with puffs of warm breath. He sniffed around for a few seconds before brushing aside a specific pile of leaves. Beneath which was a single gigantic cloven hoof print. Arro leaned away so Nym could get a look.

"This is the print of hernra, an elk bigger than any other. I've seen this herd before, and they've seen me. I can't catch one while they're in these heavy woods, so we're going to scare them out into the fields."

Arro began moving forward. "Get the scent from that print, and keep an eye and a nose out. Once we find them, I'll range ahead to flank the herd. I will begin to harry them towards the field, then you'll come in from the other side to prevent them from veering away. As long as they're fleeing they will run from you no matter your size. By now you smell a bit like me and they won't like it."

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 pm