Level : 51

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Re: Sticks and stones make good practice...

Post by Xiao Xiao on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Little did D'nea knew she had something very precious worth tricking for - her soul. Oh yes, Whilst Xiao Xiao had since learnt better than to tackle-hug and stuff every soul she saw into her mouth without a care for the consequences, she was still a pretty immature yaojing. If the soul was by a good five minute examination, actually looked safe to eat with little to none foreseeable bad endings coming after eating it, this squirrel would leap for the chance. As said, just a mite better learned than before - still ways to go yet.

Xiao pawed out another circle in the sand and this time she patted out a square of fabric which she shook her fur lightly to free it of loose sand before she stepped on the cloth and settled down. "Part spirit, part fae? Spirit as in um... woooo~?" she asked, waving her paws in a flowy manner to represent something wispy and without form. "And what is a Fae?"

It was interesting to hear the lady's world might have yaojings though! She haven't met many people here who even heard of the word much less think there might be some in their worlds. Perhaps many worlds have yaojings but they're just called something different... Xiao haven't thought of that before but it made more sense now. Surely that must be why this world is so accepting of her kind - because many people here had seen some variant of it in their own world.

Oh yay! The pretty lady understood about the circle too! What amazed Xiao more though was the latter part of the sentence though. On the FLY? The lady could FLY?! The squirrel's eyes widened and she peered curiously at either side of Miss. D'nea to find wings of some sort. When she failed to spot any, she was even more amazed. Perhaps her new friend here fly through magic means only and not by wings. Xiao Xiao cannot even comprehend how much magic that must take! To lift your body into the air and maintain it so that you don't plummet to your death followed by the control you would need so that you are facing the right direction. Oh dear! Xiao Xiao didn't know she was in front of a master-level mage! To think she ruined her spell-woody-wand thing earlier. She must be very lucky that Miss. Mage wasn't the type to fry her tail at such rudeness.

As the pebble was offered for her inspection, the squirrel cautiously sniffed it. "It's purple! So it's a glowing rock? Like a lamp! That's so cute! How long would it glow for in the dark?" she squeed, delighted to see a pretty colour on the rock. "I know batteries! They're the cyclinder things you put into electronic things to make them run. How many lines do you need to turn it into a battery? Is this how batteries are made?!"
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 5

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 am

Little did D'nea know, but even if the mage's soul was an immediate temptation for the young yaojing, Dee most likely would have considered the entertaining company worth the risk. (Skewed priorities, did this little Chaos mage have.)

"Sort of as in woooo~." Her wave-y hand gestures echoed Xiao Xiao's. "Kind of... Hm. A being that normally exists in..." Searching for words, searching for the right words. "...well, this is sort of an oversimplification, but spirit world that overlaps with our own? Less solid than ours, and most of them can't effect the physical world without help." Spirits or Fae. It was a half-decent explanation. Dee could have waxed eloquent about Fae for hours, but whether or not anyone would care (and whether or not it was coherent) was another matter entirely.

She settled for the simple explanation: "Fae, at least where I come from, are basically creatures like that. All different kinds of creatures, just about anything you could imagine."

As for talking shop, well... It was hard to get Dee to shut up about magic, and she was, frankly, overjoyed to find someone willing to chatter about it with her. "It'll depend on how much sunshine it soaks up." She grinned at Xiao's talk of batteries, and tried to explain. "This is a little different than the electric cylinder thingies. Basically the same idea, though, except with magic instead. As for how many lines, it really only needs one or two lines, but that wouldn't make a very strong battery, you couldn't power anything much at all with it. The more lines, the more magic... the trick is figuring how much is too much, though..."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:32 pm

There was no such thing as oversimplification in Xiao Xiao's dictionary. Apart from it being far too long a word to be in it, the yaojing would be the first to enthusiastically and unashamedly admit that she was a simpleton. As far as she was concerned, the simpler an explanation was, the better and this one that the pretty lady just provided was perfect.

"The spirit world overlaps our own and is less solid? So like a ghost world?" Xiao wondered if that still applied in Portal Breach or was it only in Miss. D'nea's world. She squinted and looked around her. If this spirit world was also here then surely with her ability to see souls, ghost and spirits alike, she should be able to see it and all it's 'woo'-ness. Unless it was just another sign that her full strength had yet to return to her. "Can everybody in your world see the spirits and Faes then or only a selected few?"

She's going to go ahead and assume Miss. D'nea could see them though. She dd seem like she knew what she was talking about especially if she could create a simpler version to explain it to her with. There were all kinds of Faes! That's almost like her own world. There were all sorts of yaojings and thought she only ever met the local forest variety, she had heard stories about skeleton-jings, flower-jings and even sand ones.

Xiao Xiao tilted her head and stared at the marked rock again. "So it absorbs sunlight then unleash the light later when it's dark. That's most curious. Are one of the lines one that detect when it's dark? Such clever lines! Is it possible to teach others that? I would ove to learn it. It would be handy to have light up lines and rocks. Though I'm not sure if my magic and yours work the same way...."

The squirrel blinked up at the lovely-haired lady. "How DO you know when to stop then? Should it not be the more lines the better because it means the stone can do more magic things?"
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Teaching someone. Now, there was a thought. A thought that, quite frankly, flummoxed the mage. There was no reason why not, she supposed (actually, there were probably quite a few, but since when had she ever let a silly little thing like details get in the way?). It could be quite fun, even if it didn't work… but she'd never considered herself as teacher material before, much less considered teaching someone else. Half the time, she was making this up as she went along, after all.

While this ticked away in her brain, processing behind the scenes, she answered Xiao's last question first. "That's what I think, personally, but the trouble I've found is that there's a limit to what you can put into something before it, um… melts.   Or bursts into flame.  Or disintegrates."  D'nea had had a lot of experience with how much was too much.  She was only starting to get a handle on how much was just enough. Her learning curve had been largely influenced by the trial-and-error technique.

"It depends a lot on the materials you use, the kind of energy you're putting into it… all sorts of little factors. To be honest, I'm kind of figuring this out as I go along." Leaving the little stone floating in the air where she'd previously been holding it up, D'nea dropped her hands to her knees and drummed her fingers, thoughtfully. "But, backtracking a bit to that first question: Just like a ghost world. I think. The difference between what I think of as "spirits" and what I think of "ghosts" is that ghosts used to be alive and mortal, whereas spirits are native to the ghost world---stuff like the Fae or… elemental spirits, maybe. That kind of thing?

"Technically, everyone from my world could see them, but they wouldn't really see them, if you know what I mean. Someone might see a pixie, and think it was a strange little bird or dragon fly or something like that."
    And, in doing so, would start shaping that pixie into a little bird or dragon fly… And if enough people saw the little creature and thought strange bird, then eventually, that's what it would become. So was no wonder why most of the Fae tried to keep out of sight. You really could kill a fairy if you said I don't believe often enough.

But, D'nea rather thought that that be a tricky concept to swallow straight off the bat---and, anyway, probably didn't even apply here.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:06 am

Xiao raised an eyebrow then peered sceptically at the magic-lined rock that was presently felt to float by itself. It could melt? wasn’t rock melting only possible if it reaches temperature of a volcano? Exactly how strong was Miss. Dee's magic to be able to do something like that?! Xiao turned her head to the sea, specifically the spot where the woman’s piece of driftwood had sunk. She shuddered. With this new piece of information, Xiao was grateful nothing even more explosive had happened in her surprise landing on Miss. Dee’s hair. When she had divebombed down in misunderstanded attempt to stop the woman from dying she hadn’t thought that she herself could possibly be in any danger. This event taught her once again exactly how varied the Portal Breach population was and also that many of them could be potentially be dangerous.

“So,” started Xiao and she pointed to herself. “I’m a squirrel with magic powers by birth so I would be a fae or spirit in your world? But my ancestor (great grandma….I think) was squirrel originally who later gained magic powers so she was mortal then became sort of immortal - after all, if we still have lifespans and could still die; we’re just a bit hardier and long living. Would she be a fae as well or perhaps that kind of mix is what you would call a demon?”

The people see the faes but they don’t see them as them…..

Oh my, this was getting rather complex! All this terminology was getting a bit muddled in her mind. Puffing a bit, she reached back to the circle she drew in the sand, brushed it away then made a new one that was bigger. A pat and a burst of magic later, an A4 notepad was summoned alongside a pen. The squirrel pulled the paper closer to herself, picked up the pen with both paws and drew a black coloured line down the middle of the page before labelling one side HUMAN WORLD and the other SPIRIT WORLD.

Xiao pushed the notepad towards Miss. Dee and held the pen in her direction as well. “Explain?”
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 am

Xiao Xiao was quite right to be skeptical.  In truth, Dee had only been practicing on wooden objects thus far, so it was hard to say if the rocks would react in quite the same way.  Personally, she thought they would---it was less a question of temperature and more a loss of structural cohesion---though for all she knew, they might just turn to sand, or explode… Which, really, wasn't much more reassuring.  On the whole, though, D'nea preferred working with organic material, generally plant-based.  More flexible, even if it was less durable.  Rocks felt too brittle and rigid for her, though they were definitely sturdier.  But crystals---or at least slightly translucent pebbles---plus light made logic in her brain.  

Complex, confusing, and inherently muddled.  D'nea didn't often get a chance to talk shop, and putting the thoughts and concepts she took for granted into a coherent explanation was a tricky proposition.  Which isn't to say that she wasn't enjoying this immensely.

Blinking for a moment at the notepad and pen, Dee nodded and reached to accept them.  "Okay."  

Taking a few seconds to think, tapping the pen to her chin idly as she did so, the mage then drew a little stick figure on the "HUMAN WORLD" side of the paper.  "So, to start, we've got mortals.  They're creatures that are entirely on this side, with no extra voodoo like you do from the Spirit World side."  No, no, Dee.  No fancy talk while you're trying to explain things.

Then, she scribbled a little stick-ghost, a little upside down teardrop sort of shape, on the Spirit World side.  "Then, we've got Spirits.  Technically, they're Fae, too, but let's stick with clear cut definitions for now… Spirits are things that are entirely on the Spirit World side, with no way to really touch the Human World side of things without help."

Below these figures, she drew a little stick figure on the Human side, then drew another little ghost shape on the Spirit world side, then drew an arrow from the stick figure to the ghost.  "After that, we've got Ghosts.  It's possible that some Spirits are actually really old Ghosts, but… honestly, I've never really learned a lot about ghosts and straight-up spirits.  Most of what I deal with is stuff that crosses over to this side.  Anyway… Ghosts, in this definition, are creatures that started out on the Human side, and died (usually) and ended up on the Spirit world side… either as a soul, or an imprint, or what have you.  Like I said, I don't actually know too much about them."

Another little ghost figure, another little stick figure, and another arrow, this time pointing from the ghost to the stick figure.  "And then, we have Fae.  They're things on the Spirit World side of things that somehow or other get over to the Human Side.  There's lots of different kinds, and different ways for them to do that, and this is supposed to be a simple explanation, so I'm going to gloss over it for the moment.  

In the case of your grandmother, if it had happened in my world, she would have… basically acquired a Fae spirit, and it would have become part of her.  So, technically, she would have become one of the Fae."

One, final stick figure.  This one was drawn smack dab on the line between the Spirit World and the Human World.  "And last, but not least, there's things like you, or me.  I'd maybe call them Supernaturals, or something like that… there's so many different kinds of things like this that, that it's hard to just call them one thing.  But, to use your example, your grandmother's children would be one of these.  Something that started out on the Human Side, but was born with a connection to the Spirit World.  They're things that can affect both without outside help… which usually translates to magic."

She looked down at the little squirrel demon.  "With me so far? …though I should also add that, this is just how it works on my world. I've been to a lot of different worlds that didn't have any Fae---as I think of them---at all, or anything even like them. I've never been to one without some kind of Spirit world, though."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 am

The squirrel shuffled a bit closer to watch as the mage started her explanation in pictures. There was a stick figure drawn on the human side - a mortal being - and she nodded. Voodoo! She knew voodoo! That’s the little dolls made from straw that you stick pins into. Terrible stuff, and incredibly hard work too to link the victim’s soul onto a doll. Usually you need something like name and hair or something. Right, so this little stick figure was somebody completely normal and without powers and that cute little ghost-teardrop was a Spirit. Good, good, goody. She was following!

The spirits cannot touch the human world. Her tail batted from side to side, mindful to keep off the icky sand, as she tried to think of an equivalent in her own world. She can’t imagine there were that many since anything with power usually have a form, be it wind, water, fire or whatnot. There was always a god, lord or deity for each thing. In fact, anything given enough attention too can have a form in her world. And If they had a form, they can interact with the human world because it was rather silly in her mind if they cannot when their powers affect it. The only example she could conjure was perhaps a being which does not have enough power yet to gain a form of its own. Oh dear, she can’t be lost so soon in this explanation, could she? No, no, ignore her world examples for now and focused back on Miss. Dee’s world.

Ghosts! Ghosts, she understood!

“In my world, ghosts as souls who had lost their body from death and are clinging to the world because of unfinished business,” she chirruped, glad to be able to input something. “Since they are ghosts though, they lack the certain warmth of the living so they’re actually not that yummy a soul-meal unless they had grown stronger through training, over time or exceptionally vengeful.”

Xiao Xiao had had her own few scatterings of ghostly meals growing up. They consisted mostly of animal ghosts though since her home wasn’t very near human-folk dwellings. There HAD been one or two human travellers who died travelling through her forest but with over twenty siblings and ranking one of the lowest, she didn’t have more than a scrap of those souls.

There were more figures and arrows and Xiao cocked her head to one side. This was rather neat. It certainly seemed a lot more clean cut and simple than her world. With a nod of her head, she confirmed she was following so far. She placed a paw on the human side of the page. “So my grandmother was here as a squirrel then she moved to the middle when she gained powers?” she asked, moving her paw to point at the line between the worlds and looking up at Miss. Dee for clarification. “Then from then on, all her descendants would be in the middle by default?”

“And then no matter what we are, as long as we die and become ghosts, it’s always the Spirit World?” This time, as if to complicate things further, she moved to point one paw at the top of the page and one at the bottom of the page. “What about things like heaven and hell?”

Because that was where Xiao’s world get complex.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 am

Xiao Xiao wrote:“In my world, ghosts as souls who had lost their body from death and are clinging to the world because of unfinished business,” she chirruped, glad to be able to input something. “Since they are ghosts though, they lack the certain warmth of the living so they’re actually not that yummy a soul-meal unless they had grown stronger through training, over time or exceptionally vengeful.”

Note to self: little demon squirrel lady eats souls.  Way to notice that tidbit earlier, Dee.  Not that she was particularly concerned (though possibly she should have been).  The mage's flippant attitude about potential harm wasn't based on any confidence that she, surely, couldn't be harmed.  She could certainly be harmed, especially now, just...

Dee was less good when it came to worrying about the future, at least as it pertained to herself.  Bad things happen would happen to her, or they wouldn't.  She'd blow up that bridge when she came to it.  

And Xiao was good company, and was letting her blather away about confusing magic stuff.  That was far more important to Dee than the idea that her soul might get eaten at some point in the future.

"That's pretty similar to mine, too.  Not everybody who dies becomes a ghost, though I couldn't exactly say why."  That was moving out of the realm of magic and entirely out of D'nea's area of expertise.

“So my grandmother was here as a squirrel then she moved to the middle when she gained powers?” she asked, moving her paw to point at the line between the worlds and looking up at Miss. Dee for clarification. “Then from then on, all her descendants would be in the middle by default?”

Not quite, but close enough as to make no difference.  D'nea was over-simplifying a bit.  The Fae were... really hard to explain, especially since half the time they just conformed to what you thought they ought to be, rather than staying what they were...

But.  Anyway.  There wasn't anything like that here, D'nea was pretty sure, and Xiao's understanding of it was basically good.  "More or less.  I probably wouldn't define your grandma as a 'Supernatural' in this case, but... basically, yeah, at this point it's just sort of nitpicking."

“And then no matter what we are, as long as we die and become ghosts, it’s always the Spirit World?” This time, as if to complicate things further, she moved to point one paw at the top of the page and one at the bottom of the page. “What about things like heaven and hell?”

Because that was where Xiao’s world get complex.

And this was where Dee's bubbling enthusiasm for her subject subsided, and became serious and thoughtful.  "To be honest?  I don't know.  I do know some people who die become ghosts, but not all of them.  I... I kind of think that the Spirit World is kind of a step between the Human world and... whatever else there is.  Heaven, or Hell, or... I don't know, the Afterlife.  But, that's just a guess, really... I've met demons and things that say they come from 'Hell' but for the most part it seems like those are just from other worlds, that kind of thing..."

She looked down at the little squirrel lady and tilted her head.  Then, offering the notebook back over to Xiao, she asked, "What about you?  Your world?  You sound like you might know more about that sort of thing than I do."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 am

Worry not, pretty haired lady, she may adore eating souls but she had much better control of her appetite nowadays. In the past, the very whiff of a stray soul would have this squirrel’s eyes glaze over before she fell into an uncontrollable feeding frenzy. Then the wonderful Phazon happened and she had learnt some self restraint. At the very least, Xiao actually paused and consider the consequences now before eating and, with a good amount of willpower exerted, pull herself away from the temptation.

So fret not, little Miss Pretty Haired Mage. Your soul was safe with this squirrel, especially because you have pretty hair, do not consider her a nuisance and happily let her ask all the silly questions.

Hwaaaah~ Her grandma wasn’t categorised as supernatural either! My, this made Xiao Xiao puff a little in pride. Her grandma was special! She doesn’t entirely fit into the categories - unique! Hweee!

“Oh so the Spirit World functions as um… the stage after death but before judgement? There’s a fancy word for that somewhere but I can’t remember it. Pur...Purr...Por? It rhymes with lavatory! And that’s the bathroom.” Her tail bobbed once, twice and thrice, pleased at herself for showing a bit of cleverness. With a cheerful chirrup, she took her notepad back.

“Of course,” she said in response to her lovely new friend asking about her world. She looked at the pen and the page then at her paws. She could write with both paws gripping the pen but it would look a lot neater and quicker if she had fingers. Plus, standing on the notepad to write and draw would make it difficult for Miss. Dee to see if her feet are covering the words. Hup! Human form it shall be then.

Xiao took a step back and with a shimmer that last a blink of an eye, the one foot tall squirrel slunk into her human form of five feet four. “Sorry about that. It’s just easier to write when you have fingers.”

Without further ado, she plonk herself back down on the sand beside Miss. Dee and scribbled away on a new page.

There was a stick figure smack dab in the middle of the page with a line beneath its feet and a scribble or two of trees and flowers. This scene, she aptly labelled ‘Mortal World’. Then above it, she drew two fluffy clouds and some simple houses on top with the words ‘Heaven’ beside it. Lastly, beneath the Mortal World, she wrote ‘Hell’ before drawing what looked like a tunnel underground and several teardrop shaped ghosts in a line.

“We don’t have a Spirit World. I guess in ours, it’s just all bundled into the Mortal World. The only difference is whether something have a soul or not, and whether the soul is strong enough to have a form of its own.” She pointed at the figure in the middle of the page then drew an arrow down to the world below. “When you die, you go straight to Hell where your actions in life are judged. If you are a terrible person then you have to stay in Hell and go through all sorts of punishment for your bad deeds. Only when you had completed all the punishments can you move on and be reborn back into the Mortal World.” With that she drew an arrow going back into the Mortal world.

“If you did lots and lots and lots of good deals, you could become a saint and will go to Heaven where the gods, fairies and good spirits live.” Another arrow was drawn, this time from Hell to Heaven. “If you do reach Heaven, you become a Saint of your best good deed. People could pray to you for luck in that area of expertise and you can bless them with such.”

That was the brief summary. Xiao Xiao glanced at the mage to check if she was following so far. She wasn’t the very best at explaining things after all. Her mother always chided her for babbling and straying from the point too much.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Thu May 29, 2014 12:48 am

Xiao Xiao wrote:
    “Oh so the Spirit World functions as um… the stage after death but before judgement? There’s a fancy word for that somewhere but I can’t remember it. Pur...Purr...Por? It rhymes with lavatory! And that’s the bathroom.”

Oh goodness, that was a giggle. She was feeling quite gleeful today, apparently! Usually she inclined more towards either outright laughter or amused chuckles, but that there was a girly giggle. "Yes, I suppose it is kind of like that," she murmured, not wanting to really interrupt.

Then Xiao turned out to have another trick up her sleeve, stepping back and up into a (frankly, just as adorable) human form. D'nea blinked, caught momentarily off guard, then grinned brightly. Ooooh! Well, a shape-shifting squirrel made perfect sense to her, even if she hadn't been expecting it. And hands would make it easier to write.

Resting her chin on her hands, Dee watched attentively as Xiao Xiao began to draw, expression thoughtful. Whatever her mother might have thought, the mage didn't seem to think she was babbling. "It sounds better organized than mine," she said, once Xiao was finished, then tilted her head, inquisitively. "So... are there are a lot of saints? Do any of them have to, sort of, share virtues? Or, best good deed, I suppose? Are there sort of main saints for particular deeds, or is it more of a... matter of preference which one someone might pray to?"

Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:50 am

Can we insert a happy tail twitch here? Yes, Xiao believe we shall so in went a happy tail twitch. Her world was called organised! That was a compliment, right? Even though he rather thought her world was quite messy simply because of how many things you had to remember but at the base of it, Xiao Xiao guessed it was pretty organised. The borders are a bit TOO clear cut though sometimes but that’s another story for another time.

“There were LOTS of saints and spirits and fairies,” she said. “That’s what makes my world so messy actually; there is just so many people you could send your prayers to. Some of them do share traits but who you want to pray to for that trait is entirely up to you or dependent on your area. For example, our seas are governed by the Sea Dragon Kings. There are four in total and they each have their own area. If you want to pray for safe passage or a good catch then you pray to the Dragon King associated with that sea.”

Her excitement calmed down a little though and her tail curled to rest on her lap so as to avoid the sand. “The saints and gods don’t really listen to us yaojings though. They are sacred, we are not. In their view, our kind are evil by default but if you’d been a good yaojing and had done many years of good service or a remarkable deed, they may treat you better, otherwise, we’re kind of lower than dirt to them.” All this she said with a shrug, as if it was a simple fact of life. To her, it was, and she neither dislike it nor like it. It wasn’t like she met heavenly figures on a frequent basis - in fact, save for a few woodland spirits, she had never met any of those sacred beings. For this squirrel yaojing, as long as she could live her life as she pleased and things were not going wrong, everything else was unimportant.

“What about your world? If there is the evil which are demons then there must be the good as well. Who would they be?”
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:24 am

Listening to Xiao Xiao describe the different saints and deities---those Dragon Kings certainly fit the title, from the sound of it, depending on how exactly you defined deity---D'nea found herself nodding along, thoughtful. That was more or less how she'd imagined it, from the explanation before. Made perfect sense to her, anyway. Or, at least, as much sense as any other system she'd come across.

Her nose wrinkled, though, at the description of the relationship between these spirits and the yaojings. It had often struck her that the beings considered the epitome of "good" were often... well, stuck up. Xiao didn't seem too put out by it, though, taking it as just a fact of life so Dee let the point pass by with a mental shrug.

The next question, though, was too far from the subject. "Angels, I suppose... If there are demons, after all, it makes sense that their opposite number is out there somewhere, right? But, I can't say I've ever encountered one, in person. Lots of stories, though..."

To be honest, she wasn't sure why she'd never crossed path with angels---or other beings that were the manifestation of "good". Maybe it was just that she'd never needed to. Or, maybe they didn't particularly think much of her. She wasn't evil, by any means, but back home her kind had the potential to be quite destructive...

Or, even, they might not have known about her at all. Ah well.

"There are all kinds of 'good' Fae or spirits, too, though the majority of them were more or less neutral. Like, not necessarily inherently evil, or good, but with the potential for either." She tapped her chin, thoughtfully. "We didn't have anything quite like you do, with the various saints to pray to... Or, well, no that's not right, there were a few religions along those lines, but those were more of a belief system than a fact of life for everyone in the world." Though, for all she knew, it was just the same in Xiao's world. Just because some people believed in saints and so forth, didn't mean everyone did.

"Over all, I think I prefer the less-exalted beings, when it comes to who to rub elbows with. They're more fun, less stuffy, less high and mighty... you know?"
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:06 pm

“Ooo angels are pretty,” she cooed. “Do they have wings like the ones one Christmas trees?”

Her world didn’t really have angels; they were more like spirits, goddesses or fairies of ‘insert-thing-here’. It was not until she came to Portal Breach that she found out about angels, courtesy of the Christmas season. Such a pity, Miss. Dee haven’t met one before as Xiao would have loved to know if they flew around, sat on clouds and sang prettily to the music of harps, lyres, bells and flutes. Oh and if they had pretty hair. They looked like beings who would have pretty hair. Her friend Uriel was an angel of sort and he had nice hair - if only he would grow it longer like his brother.

Whilst her new lady friend had not met any angels, she had seemingly met beings of some rank. “You rubbed the elbows of minor gods or spirits?” A very awed gasp was made followed by some excited chattering. Xiao Xiao had met some spirits but she had never really touched them. Oh no, she remained a polite distance away, feeling that it was very out of her station to go any closer. She was not sure why Miss. Dee would want or have to rub elbows but hopefully they were very nice elbows and not dry, crusty and yucky looking. Maybe she was giving them an elbow massage?

“How many have you met? What are they like? Do they have a physical form or are they just a glowing wispy ball of….’woo’?” Again, she made that flowy hand gesture that suggested a wispy and wavy something.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 am

That elicited another light giggle out of the mage. Her new friend was so excitable, her enthusiasm was positively contagious! "I'm sure some of them do." After all, knowing Dee's world, if some people believed they should, then at least a few surely did. "If I ever meet one, I will be sure to give you a full report afterwards." She sketched an X over her heart with one hand, and held up her other, a solemn vow.

Xiao's next question had her pausing to think for a moment. She didn't want to disappoint, after all, and while Dee wasn't usually the type to boast, she found herself wanting to live up to the awe and wonder sparkling in the little squirrel lady's eyes. "Well, rubbed elbows is more of an expression. Hob knobbing, that kind of thing. Err, I mean, socializing. Ish. Sort of. I think?" She needed a thesaurus. Or a dictionary. Having neither, D'nea plunged on ahead regardless. "As for how many... A smattering, a parcel, a small bunch, or a few. Precisely a few... or more. I haven't really been counting, and most of them is sort of... in passing." Occasionally very briefly, as she ran past with something angry chasing her.

"My favorite, though, has to be... Hmmm." She drummed her fingers on her chin in thought. "Oh! There was this old forest spirit... I guess you could call him a demigod, or a minor god, or maybe just a powerful spirit, but he was sort of the heart of this old, old forest. He looked like a very tall, gnarled tree, and you'd probably mistake him for one easily enough, because by the time I met him, he was spending most of his days sitting at the bank of a creek and soaking up the sun. I almost thought he was just a tree, until he told me to get off of his foot - I had sat down on one of his roots, so I could dangle my feet in the water, you see."

She wiggled her toes, as if to demonstrate. "We sat and chatted for awhile. He was good company, if you didn't mind being patient because he taaaaaalked.... liiiiiiike.... thiiiiiiis." D'nea sat back, thoughtful for a moment. "He gave me some good advice, that I didn't really listen to at the time."

---

((One of these days, I swear I'm going to post in a timely manner. Gosh darn it. >.> Thank you so much for putting up with me :) I am having ridiculous fun with these two.))
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 am

“Yes, yes, you must,” agreed Xiao as she nodded her head eagerly. She was a little confused with the cross marking on her new friend’s heart, but was fairly certain she read about it in some girly magazine somewhere that it was another form of promising to do something - like that little pinky finger thing!

Xiao had known of only two angels here on Portal Breach and both were in passing. A standard looking man who did not follow her image of an angel at all, and a young girl angel who was sweet, but accompanied a loud-mouthed, under-dressed boy. It would be interesting to get a better account of an angel, especially one from Miss. Dee’s fascinating world.

Socialising! Xiao Xiao understood that. The lack of actual elbow rubbing did not diminish the awe she felt for being beside somebody who been with gods before. Rather, the term ‘socialising’ made the squirrel see the mage in an even grander light. Rubbing elbows, whilst suggested to be in VERY close terms, also gave a hint of servant-hood. I mean, why would you rub a god’s elbow? Surely you must be giving them a massage? Or their elbows were so dry, you must apply lotion - if it was then Xiao understood the pain a little. Moisturised skin feels sooooo nice after all. Hm, what kind of moisturiser would a god use? Heavenly stuff, undoubtedly. Maybe very expensive too. She’d imagine they smell like pretty flowers - like lilies, roses and lavender.

Before her train of thought could derail too far, it was pulled right back on route at the mention of Miss. Dee’s favourite god.

“A tall tree?” she echoed as her mind conjured up a tree bent over slightly with a walking stick and a leafy beard. An old forest spirit must look like that except even more...er… tree-looking, otherwise how could her friend had sat on his foot unknowingly? “I’m sure he didn’t mind it very much. If he’s part of the forest then animals would have been all over him all the time.”

On the speed of the spirit’s speech though, Xiao Xiao giggled. “It must had been a very looooooong chat you had then. I wouldn’t know if I have the patience to stick around for very long if I were you. Was he telling you about the ‘old days’ as old people tend to do? Or just worldly advice in general. WAIT! Can he see the future or something? How else would he know what kind of advice to bestow on you if he had only just met you?”

-------

((I’m having buckets of fun too! Their interaction is just so giggly fun! No worries about posting and timing. It’s a relaxed thread and as long as we’re having fun, that all that matters.))

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 am