Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Sticks and stones make good practice...

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 pm

((A/N:  Small forewarning.  Anyone's welcome to join, but I tend to post slowly, so just to give you a heads up if that kind of thing puts you off. <3 ))

Date & Time:  6/23/13; 1:19 PM

Dee sat on the beach, down by the water, with her butt in the sand and a slender, water-worn chunk of drift wood across her knees.  The waves lapped at her ankles, the stronger ones making it up high enough to erode the sand around her seat, but she didn't seem to mind what this was doing to the state of her breeches.  Her attention was fixed on the stick in her lap, her head and shoulders bent over it, expression one of focus and concentration.  Fingertips lightly traced the surface of the stick.

She was trying to make a... well, a thing.  At this point, her work was less with an ultimate goal in mind, as trying to work out how to make the foundation.  Back home, she'd dabbled in enchanting items, but there'd never really been any need for it.  Here, though?  With all her powers clamped down and restrained?  She could still pull a lot of power, but only slowly, and, well, that made enchanting the perfect solution.

If she could just get the darn things to stop bursting into flames.  Or disentigrating.  Or melting and starting to ooze.  It was tricky, to find that line of how much power she could put into something... too little and it wouldn't be able to power any really interesting kinds of spells, beyond just the generic "Ooh, you made it glow" type of spell.  But if she put in too much?  Well...  There was a reason, besides her affinity for the element, that Dee was trying her latest experiment in handy throwing distance to water.

The drift wood was holding up pretty well, though.  Water and wood, two elements that were her particular affinity.  That might had had something to do with.  Regardless... she was trying to be extra careful this time around.  

So intent on her little craft project, was she, that the mage was utterly oblivious to anyone or anything else on the beach.
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Level : 51

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Re: Sticks and stones make good practice...

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 am

((A/N: Why, oh why, had nobody replied to this pretty magic user yet?))

Let it be known (well, it's actual known already but let it be MORE known) that Xiao Xiao hates the beach. WHY? She hates sand and she hated water outside of drinking it and bathtime. Fur just don't mix well with either. It got heavy in water and sand getting caught between the strands drives this prett-stuff-loving squirrel up the wall. So back to the point: if you put two things Xiao hates together surely by logic she would hate it even more? Correct!

But as long as she's not actually on the beach, she suppose it's rather pretty to look at. So it was that during today's fly around of the sky, she had taken the coastal route just to see the sunlight sparkle off the water and maybe play with any seagulls in the air (never for long though as Xiao found the birds rather rough to play with for extended periods of time).

Here she was, gliding along, enjoying the cool sea breeze which felt so nice especially with this summer heat and what was this she spied down there? A mass of pretty chestnut curls! Miss. Tally? No, no, The florist's hair was a slightly different shade. As hair obsessed as Xiao Xiao was, she could surely recognise Miss. Tally's hair even from high up like this. This was somebody else!

A lone woman on a quiet beach, without a care of the waters lapping up to her bottom. What was she doing? Why wasn't she moving from the spot? Could it be....

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo," shrieked the squirrel suddenly divebombing out of the air. A shadow fell over the woman's head and the squirrel's wing membrane flapped open at the last second before impact to slow herself down. She landed heavily on the lady's hair and she clung on desperately. "DON'T DO IT! YOUR HAIR IS TOO PRETTY TO DIE!"

It seems like the squirrel yaojing had mistook the stranger's solitude and positioning as waiting for the tides to come in to claim her....
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 5

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 am

The stick of driftwood was not terribly stick-like in appearance.  Hunk or even chunk didn't quite suit, either.  It was somewhere in between, a piece of wood that was about the size of woman's hand, fingers closed, palm flattened, and thin.  There was a whurl where a knot of wood had been before the sea wore it away and rubbed it raw with salt and water, down towards the "palm" end of the piece of wood.  It was from that point that D'nea's weaving had begun.  

You couldn't call the designs she was making on the surface of the wood runes, exactly.  Runes implied shared language and meaning, preordained and written down.  If you wrote a rune down, and someone who also knew what that sort of writing meant saw it, they would be able to read it.  This?  This was... creative doodling, really.  The importance of the designs was less the designs themselves, and more as a focus for her mind as she made them.  A point of concentration, a place to funnel power into, and, more importantly, a point for her thoughts to fix upon to prevent them from wandering.  

It was never a good idea to let one's thoughts wander while trying to use magic.

...speaking of which.

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo," was about the only warning D'nea got, before something dropped heavily onto her head and latched on with a surprisingly strong grip. "DON'T DO IT! YOUR HAIR IS TOO PRETTY TO DIE!" was yelled at a startling volume, almost directly into her ear.

D'nea made an involuntary noise of surprise and alarm that sounded like something small and squeak-y being stepped on, and sat jolt upright. Her focus slipped and suddenly the whole thing was unraveling under her fingers. The runes that were already carved started to curl up and spark, like a string of fireworks. The mage yelped again, and tossed the whole mess out of her lap, and into the waves in front of her, where it fizzled and popped and sent off pretty purple sparks before it went out.

Scrambling backwards, crab style, D'nea didn't stop until her inadvertent firecracker did. Then she slumped back onto her elbows, caught her breath, and... realized the thing that had dropped out of the sky and shouting at her seemed to be small and furry and vaguely concerned.

"...Huh?"
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:13 am

“Maaah!” gasped the he squirrel as the head under her moved but still she clung onto the hair. The pretty-haired lady made a squeaky noise. Pretty-haired and cute noise maker, seems like Xiao did the right thing in keeping her alive. Good Xiao. Fantastic Xiao. Very nice Xiao.

There was another yelp and then the yaojing was suddenly very aware the lady had something fizzling in her lap. She haven’t focused on it enough to tell what it was but it was fizzling and that’s a big alarm bell. Oh poor pretty-haired lady! Not only is she waiting for the tides to come in to claim her but she had a backup plan to go out with a bang too?!

“Keeeeeeeeee,” Xiao Xiao shrieked as she scrambled to a position further up the lady’s head and flattened herself against it, effectively hugging her scalp. “Noooo, don’t die. Whatever it is that is making you do this, it’s not worth it to sacrifice such fabulous curls! At least make your hair into a wig and give it to me or something!”

But with a surprising turn of events, the Miss. Brunette had tossed the fizzling thing into the sea and had scrambled back away from the tides. Xiao watched the sparky, fizzy and poppy thing bubbled and crackled, half expecting a water explosion. She had almost started to wonder about her own safety and if it would be rude to ditch the lady if it did explode. She just saved her, she can’t ditch her....right?

Thankfully, the fizzling stopped and the object must have sank to the bottom of the water. The yaojing relaxed her grip on the brown hair and flopped there with a soft deflated squee. Oh and kay. Nobody is hurt. Everybody was safe. She saved a pretty-haired person....er... she was unhurt, right? She can’t smell any blood though...better double check.

With a wriggle, she propped herself up and leant her face down over the lady’s forehead and bangs to peer worriedly at her face. “That was dangerous! Are you hurt? Please don’t die. Killing yourself is a no-no. Your hair is fabulous.”
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:56 pm

There were probably several at least vaguely rational responses that D'nea could have mustered, not the least of which being What in the world are you talking about?  After all, the creature on her head was shouting about her not killing herself, which had really been the last thing on her mind at this point, and it had inadvertently mucked up all her hard work... Any rational person would be bewildered, or confused, or perhaps a bit irate.

But the first words out of her mouth were, "Oh, dear lord, you are adorable."  Ohhh, look at her widdle nose!  Those tiny ickle ears!  So cute.  Unable, or unwilling, to resist the urge, Dee reached up give Xiao's head a gentle scratch.  

Then, of course, the words finally filtered in, past the part of her brain that was apparently 4 years old and shouting Its so FUZZY!.  "No, I'm not hurt---though you scared me out of my boots!"  Said the barefooted mage.  "Killing myself is definitely a no-no.  As is dying.  I didn't realize I was in danger of doing either, though..."

Last edited by D'nea Greenhand on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:38 pm

The squirrel blinked. Honestly the first words, Xiao Xiao was expecting out of HER mouth was either abuse or tearful sobbing. I mean Xiao had just stopped her from going to the Pool! Shouldn't she be angry or upset? But instead, the lady gushed out a different set of words entirely.

And Xiao puffed. Yep. Puffed. Swelled with pride and vanity. What? She was a squirrel! She knew she was either considered cute or a pest except her inferiority complex tends to default to thinking the latter unless blatantly told otherwise. And here, she was blatantly told and getting scratchies as well!

The yaojing turned her head, leaning into the lady's scratching. If squirrels were capable of purring, she would be right about now because boy did Xiao Xiao love scratches and pats.

"Yay, you're not hurt," hummed the squirrel, shaking her head and ears like a cat would after a great petting session.  "What do you mean you weren't in danger? Weren't you sitting all along on this beach waiting for the sea to claim you? Whatever it was that had driven you to do that, it's not worth it! You hair is too fabulous to die! Is it a guy? Is it money?"
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 am

D'nea laughed, a soft, delighted sounding noise that was a proper laugh, not edging into giggle territory, or swerving too close to chuckles. "Oh, is that what you thought? Oops! No, definitely not. I'm aware that the next words out of my mouth may be kind of odd, but I was working on a... on a kind of craft project, and you could say I'm sort of attuned to water."

It might have been a silly concern when one was speaking to a small, talking squirrel, but D'nea had always found that slinging around a word like magic always got people over-excited. Either they disliked it, for various reasons, or they imagined it could fix everything. Of course, there were also those who were just openly curious, and so forth, but... yes, avoiding over use of the m word, until she'd worked out how common it was around here.

"My name's D'nea, by the by. What's yours?"
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:09 pm

"You're working on a craft project? By the sea? With the tide lapping around her feet?!" The squirrel frowned - deeply. Sand is icky and water made clothes sticky. She can't imagine what kind of project there could be that anybody would willingly sit in both sand and water for. But then again, she was bias against the stuff.

"What kind of craft project? I think I saw you with a bit of wood? Are to carving something? But you don't have a little knife in your hands..." Xiao Xiao babbled off. She sniffed the lady's bangs and shuffled her paws before she tucked Miss. D'nea's hair out of the way so that she could carefully descend from sitting on her head to sitting on her shoulder. She may be a squirrel but standing up at a foot tall, Xiao doubt that she was light enough to sit on the pretty-haired lady's head for long without straining her neck.

"My name is Xiao Xiao. You can call me Xiao if it's easier," greeted the squirrel.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 am

The gesture was much appreciated.  The weight hadn't been a big problem, for the moment, but her eyes were feeling a little strained from trying to look straight up at someone sitting on top of her head.  Flashing the squirrel lady a warm smile, D'nea bobbed her head politely. "Nice to meet you, Xiao Xiao.  Its a very pretty name, I don't mind saying it twice."  As opposed to only once, if she shortened it?  Oh, Dee, you make so much sense...

"To answer your first question..." D'nea raised her hands and gave her fingers a little wiggle, careful not to jostle Xiao off of her shoulder.  "...I was trying to enchant a thing.  Make it a magic stick.  More or less..."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 am

Xiao Xiao smiled widely, security barriers almost dropping completely down because the pretty lady called her name pretty. What? She was a vain squirrel! She admit to that! Plus inferiority complex thrown in there to mess it up even more so as every compliment of any kind is cherished all the more because she did not have enough confidence to bet she’ll get another one in the future - especially with her brattish behaviour which was slowly becoming more evident the longer she stayed in Portal Breach.

“A magic stick?” asked the squirrel. Like Mr. Potter’s? What did he call it again? He had disappeared so long ago and unfortunately was not pretty enough for this sparkly-minded yaojing to remember much of him.

“Oh! Like a wand?” That’s what it was! Yes, smart Xiao Xiao! Clever Xiao Xiao! Wonderful Xiao Xiao! Right, let’s correct the previous statement about not getting compliments in the future to ‘not getting compliments from people other than herself’.

She squinted into the sea. Did she just….

Xiao gasped then pointed a paw at the waves. “Does that mean I made you lose your magic stick?”

OH NO! She wasn’t wonderful Xiao Xiao at all! Should she jump in the water and get it back? But water is icky apart from bathtime, in which case it was warm, relaxing and often smelt of whatever scented stuff she mixed it with. This yaojing wasn’t entirely sure if she was ready to jump into sea water for a lady she just met - pretty or not, guilty or not.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Dee laughed, and quickly waved a hand (the one attached to the shoulder Xiao was not sitting on, no sense in accidentally dislodging her new furry friend) to dismiss this idea. "No, no, no, it was a just a jumped up piece of drift wood with delusions of grandeur. I'll get another stick. Or maybe a shiny rock. Hmmm." The mage tapped her chin, thoughtfully. She'd heard gems were good for sticking spells into, though she didn't really have an affinity herself.

Also, she didn't really have the budget to go around melting precious gemstones while she practiced her... let's be generous and call it her craft.

Nah, the next one would probably end up being a stick, as well. Or possibly a shell. "But, you're right, sort of like a wand. Um. Though it depends on what kind of wand you're talking about. I suppose I could make either sort, but the kind I was aiming for was the point and click kind. (I feel like I'm saying kind, kind of a lot.) Like... anyone can use it, but it more or less only ever does the same spell, ever."

Tilting her head at the little fuzzy talking squirrel, Dee asked, "Do you know much about magic? I'll try hard not to talk too much shop..."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:29 am

This lady talked fancy! Xiao Xiao blinked at her, a bit clueless as to exactly where she was getting at. A piece of driftwood that jumps? What an odd spell! Why would you want to make a driftwood jump? For amusement? With delusions of grandeur…. well if Xiao had to piece an image together right now, it was a jumping piece of driftwood which is delusional and believed itself to be grand and stylish? And then the jumping piece of wood has to be a wand that points and clicks. Clicks? But it doesn’t have any fingers! How can it click?

How boggling….. and Xiao Xiao liked it! It sounded funny and the squirrel giggled

“I know magic! Maybe not the same as you. I’m a yaojing, a lesser demon so I guess my magic is of the demonic kind? I won’t eat you! I swear!” she quickly assured since her own past experiences told her that people don’t general have good impressions of demons. Well.. she might eat the her if she went on a bloodthirsty rampage but with her track record so far, that only tends to happen when she was under the influence of something OR lots of people just so happen to be dying en masse in front of her in which case it’s a free meal and she isn’t going to complain. Since she was evidently NOT on a rampage, Miss. D’nea was in very safe paws.

“I only ever use magic for day-today purposes...” she said then wondered if this was the part where she’s to demonstrate it and also should she give the lady something as a sign of goodwill for making her lose her stick. “I have pretty stones but they’re just random cute pebbles I picked up around Portal Breach. Are these the types you want?”

Xiao Xiao glared at the sand in distaste before with a wriggle of her tail, she jumped down onto it, shuddered at the feel of it under her feet but otherwise tried to hold back from whining. With her paw, she drew a circle in the sand and then patted it. Into the small circle a handful of pebbles was summoned.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 pm

"You're a demon?" Huh. Well, could have fooled her, that's for sure. D'nea's experience with demons was actually rather varied, but even so, she'd never come across a cute, fuzzy squirrel demon that liked pretty hair and shiny things. They had mostly ranged from 'creatures composed of the very essence of evil' to 'just some blokes of questionable moral fiber, who happened to have horns/wings/scales/etc.' Even in just her little corner of the multiverse, it was difficult to judge a book by its label. Half the time, the same term would be used to describe two things that didn't barely even resemble each other.

'Yaojing' would probably tell her more, if she had even the slightest idea what the word meant or where it came from. Ah well. She could always just, "What kind of demon is a yaojing? That is, you said 'lesser' but lesser than what? In what way?" Don't worry, Xiao Xiao. That was just curiosity you heard in Dee's voice. She didn't sound terribly concerned for someone who had just been informed they were keeping company with a demon.

And, in fact, she was almost more curious about the magic act that the little squirrel had just pulled. Leaning forward to bend over the little circle in the sand, Dee grinned, broadly. "Neat trick! Never could get the hang of straight teleportation, myself." Once her inspection of the circle was finished, which didn't take long at all, the mage turned her attention to the handful of cute pebbles. "I think one or two of those might work. But I wouldn't want to deprive you of any of your shiny rocks."
    Xiao Xiao
    Petabyte

Petabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    560/560  (560/560)
    Stamina Bar:
    102/102  (102/102)

Post by Xiao Xiao on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 am

“Yes, I’m a demon,” chirruped Xiao though on later reflection, she did wonder if she sounded a bit too happy in calling herself something that was generally regarded as malevolent. It was probably the lady’s presence and curious tone of voice that made her comfortable enough to remain chirpy; in Xiao’s books, NOT running away screaming and threatening to banish her with holy spells and artefacts are usually a good sign.

“Yaojing is actually a pretty broad term. It could be beings with enough hate and resentment gathered up over many, many years to become monsters or they are creatures who had lived long enough that they gained magical powers. In my case, I was born a yaojing because both my parents are yaojings already.” The line blurs a bit once you reach her grandparent’s generation though. She was fairly sure grandfather was a yaojing and grandmother wasn’t…. or was it the other way round? Was it mother’s side or was it father’s side that they were not yaojings at all? Perhaps she should had paid attention when father was explaining all of this.

“We’re um… lesser as in um… our powers are not strong enough to be called completely demonic? I guess another word that’s equivalent to yaojing is sprite? But that usually seen as a good creature whilst a yaojing’s powers are always affi...affi-latte..affili-um...linked with the dark side!” Explanations! Xiao Xiao isn’t good at them! It required too much thinking!

At Miss. D’nea’s compliment of her summoning and that her pebble offering was helpful, Xiao puffed a little and fought the urge to scratch her ears in shy pride. Yay! Xiao Xiao did good! “I can only do it with small not-alive things or things I’m very familiar with.” The squirrel pointed at the circle. “Strictly speaking, I don’t need the circle but it helps me focus on the exact spot I want the rocks to appear. And oh no! I have lots of those rocks. It’s not like I paid for them nor are they worth much since I just picked them off the ground wherever I go and whenever I spot a pretty one. I just use them to decorate the base of my tree in my room. You can take them if you want. I can always find more.”

That being said she did own one pretty and expensive rock and that was a crystal acorn an old acquaintance gave her. It now sat on a pretty palm cushion on her dresser where it’s polished and pampered every day.
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Agates. Not the highest quality of quartz to work with, but still quartz, which meant good for enchanting. Stones weren't really her medium, in general, they were too solid, too structured. They took patience and persistence to change, and weren't interested in growing. They were strong, they endured, and that was admirable, but… Dee just wasn't a rock kind of person. Even so, after all the practice these last few weeks, months, she thought she could manage an agate or two.

Carefully picking up one of the largest, clearest ones she could find, D'nea turned it over in her fingers while Xiao Xiao spoke. "Belief changing reality… That sounds familiar. Where I came from, we had animals that would get… mmm, I guess you could say they'd become part spirit, part Fae. We might have had yaojing, but I don't think I knew to call them that, if we did." As for Xiao being affiliated with the Dark Side, at least she seemed very nice about it. Appearances could be deceiving, and it was entirely possible that the little squirrel demon was trying to trick her somehow, pretending to be friendly, but… well, frankly, D'nea didn't care if she was. What in the world did she have that was worth tricking her for?

With the tip of the fingernail on her thumb, she idly sketched a squiggle on the pebble in her hands, putting part of her attention on pushing just a dab of power into the design. "I know what you mean, though, about the circle helping you focus, though. What I do works a little like that: I can do without, or at least, I could before I came here, but… using runes and rituals helps me focus and pull more power than I could just on the fly."

She held out the pebble for Xiao's inspection, though at the moment all it looked like was a pebble with a little purple squiggle etched into it, now. "But, this was what I was up to, more or less. Enchanting stuff… the one you interrupted was just a battery. This one's kind of on a smaller scale, but… it'll soak up sunlight, and then glow when its in the dark."

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 am