Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: First of Nine

Post by Lawrence on Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 pm

All right, Lawrence did have to agree with that particular point. "I suppose you are right, in that regard." His mind drifted to his own selfish vice . . . he cared for Zurg, he cared entirely too much at times, but at least he kept some measure of control over himself. There were lines he refused to cross, as well as things he didn't truly want and normally couldn't even attempt. The butler tried his level best to make sure no one was hurt by any of it, other than himself. Of course his thoughts brought up Jo's earlier words, even if they truly hadn't been her real issue...

Well, that warning certainly managed to get Lawrence's mind off of things. "'Stare unto the face of nothingness'? That sounds rather ominous, but I imagine there is no turning back once setting upon this path. I chose this, so I will face whatever lies ahead as best I can."

A spearpoint waved in his face wasn't exactly the first thing the ex-robot expected, and so he took a step back, both to get some distance from the spear and to make sure he didn't accidentally touch any of the wool. "V-very well, I will leave the wool to you, if that is the rule I must follow." If Zurg said the wool was sacred, Lawrence wouldn't question it; he did not know X'rghthu customs as well as the monarch did, and this set of rituals was something the butler never encountered before.

At the news they would be going to the Second Task immediately after the wool was gathered up, Lawrence sounded a bit surprised, at least until he thought about it a bit more. "We are also taking care of the Second Task, now? Well, that does make sense, given the time limit. In any case, I am ready whenever you are."
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm

What Zurg said was true, everyone had selfishness and scariness in them. After all, wasn't Kev's cowardly nature and tendency to flee from danger born from a bit of selfish desire to save his skin? Oh, if his friends or others that he love were in danger, he'd try to stick around, but that was again selfish. A true selfless person would stay behind and fight no matter who was in danger, even his greatest enemy. And scary...his anger and the way he struck out that night had to be frightening. If the others hadn't stopped him, he might have burned the entire place to the ground. Having a bit of Bob within him...that was odd, and a little scary. Especially considering her final fate...

What Zurg told Lawrence was interesting. Almost...like a poem. Before the Nine he would face the One? It must be more of the ritual that Lawrence was going through. In the One he would see the face of nothingness and find humility? And before the Nine...he was doing nine tasks, right? Were all of these tasks metaphorical? Although he couldn't begin to imagine what wool was a metaphor for. He nodded and clasped his hands together, about to grab the bags for Zurg when Zurg suddenly pointed that...rather large spear right at Lawrence. "Eep!" Well, you heard him Lawrence! No touching the wool. He eyed the two of them before he began to skitter away. "Let me go grab those bags!"

He turned face and jogged back to the cottage, making his way to the kitchen. On the way, he couldn't help but think about Lawrence's little predicament. No touching the wool or he'd start over. He probably had to wait until everything was done before doing anything with it. What could the Nine be? Or the One? This sounded more important than just some ritual to make Lawrence a man. This was like a journey of self discovery! He grabbed a box of large plastic garbage bags and jogged back out to the two purple aliens. "Are you going to be able to carry all of these home, Zurg? Or is Lawrence allowed to touch it if is in a bag?" He grabbed out one bag and handed it to Zurg, then grabbed one himself and pried it open, snapping it open and already starting on shoving the multi-colored wool inside.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm

"It is only ominous if you allow it to be," but nothing else was said after that. The alien showed no signs of aggression when Kev began stuffing the wool away, leading one to believe that only Lawrence could not touch it. Why? Well, perhaps one will find out later.

Zurg, for the most part, gave Lawrence his space and refocused on his other friend for the time being. "Yes, I will be carrying these home but Lawrence may not touch them until it is time," he answered. Thunk! The alien thrust his spear firmly into the earth and went to packing, grabbing tufts of wool and storing them away inside the bag. It didn't take long for the two of them to round up every patch of multi-coloured fleece they saw, yielding two heavy bags of fluffy goodness. When the job was done and nothing else remained, Zurg tied a knot in both of the bags and reached for his spear. Using what he had available, the alien proved resourceful and managed to create for himself a temporary yoke. The wool was now safely secured upon his shoulders and Zurg used a firm hand to keep the spear steady. "Good. We have what we came for. Thank you, Kev." So now what? Lawrence had asked a very good question:

Question wrote:"We are also taking care of the Second Task, now?"
    "Yes," was the simple answer. Looking up to mentally note the sun's current location, Zurg returned his gaze back down to Lawrence and spoke. "The Second begins now, Lawrence. You are to find a x'leliiq." A what? He knew that the word would be lost in translation and thus lightly shook the spear rested upon his bare shoulders. "A strong x'leliiq can mean the difference between life and death. Find a good body and bring it back to me. You may even bring back as many as you can carry, but I will judge each and every single one. If I find one unsuitable or all, then you must go back and find another." Sounded like a linear task, except - "You are not permitted to return home until you do." - there was always a catch.

Task given, the alien glanced back at Kev and slightly tipped his head in gratitude. "Farewell, Kev. I will be taking my leave now." And take it he did, walking several steps away before running off and disappearing behind a grassy knoll.

Lawrence was left all alone, his only companions Kev and the Second.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 am

Lawrence stood by and watched the two aliens gather up the wool and place it in two bags, trying to keep his thoughts on the tasks at hand rather than things he shouldn't be dwelling on. Apparently the 'sacred' part meant he was the only one forbidden to touch the wool right now, as there was no reaction to Kev helping out with the gathering.

Soon enough, Zurg had everything all bundled up, and the two bags hung from his spear. It would turn out that the Second Task was starting right now, as well, but Lawrence blinked in confusion at the native word that had been thrown at him. "A what? A... x'leliiq? What in the name of Orvus is that?"

Before the butler could ask further, the bomb was dropped that he couldn't return home until he found this thing, whatever it was, and then Zurg was on his way. With the same speed he used previously, the monarch disappeared over the next grassy knoll. There was nothing else remaining in the meadow other than Lawrence, the grass, the sheep, and Kev.

Still rather confused, Lawrence sighed a bit before glancing over at the mouthless alien. "I don't suppose you have any idea of what he was talking about?" He paused to shake his head at himself before speaking again. "No, I imagine you're similarly clueless about his native tongue... I'm not sure why I thought to ask you. He should have left me some sort of hint, but I cannot think of anything . . ."

Again he paused in thought, trying to think of anything that might've been a clue. Hmm, didn't Zurg jostle his spear around a bit while he said that odd word? Well, it wasn't much of a lead, but it was the only one he had. "Wait, perhaps he was referring to that spear of his . . . if he was, I know exactly what to look for! Thank you again, Kev, but I need to get going . . . I would like to finish before dinner."

And so the ex-robot turned and took off running, off towards the nearest edge of the forest in the distance.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 am

Lawrence could neither touch the wool nor help to carry it home. He could only touch it...when it was ready. Perhaps after the Nine. He paused in his stuffing to glance at Zurg, as he stabbed his nice, long spear into the cold ground to hold it in place while he packed the wool into the garbage bag. Had to hand it to Zurg, if there's one thing that stayed consistent over the years it was that he kept his flair for the dramatic. Place the spear down? Nope, stab it into the ground! Eventually the two of them rounded up the wool and got them stashed inside. Zurg tied the knots and attached them to his spear. "Oh, its like a yoke!" He nodded at him. "You're welcome Zurg, I hope the visit was good as well!"

He listened as Zurg gave out his instructions to Lawrence. A...a what? A x'leliiq? A strong one at that, one that was...the difference between life and death? Lawrence was barred from coming back either, until his x'leliiq was found and judged by Zurg. Wait, he had to start now? He blinked, confused, and dipped his head back at Zurg. "Have a safe trip!" Wow, he ran off so fast! He turned to Lawrence, awkwardly confused. Should he help him find a....x'leliiq? He almost answered Lawrence's question before he answered it himself. "Just a question born from confusion! I have no idea, no, its definitely very interesting."

Oh, that's right, Zurg did shake his spear! Maybe a stick with which to create a spear was a x'leliiq! "Oh! Uh, bye!" He waved, watching as he too, ran off into the distance. At least there would be no shortage of sticks for him to find. He took in a deep breath of air and looked around, taking in the sight of the naked little sheep. He gave them one more stroke to the head before he walked back to the cottage and flopped onto the couch. His book was now obscured by the furry body of one Shally, who mewed at him. He laughed and just cuddled next to her, stroking the spot under her chin. Today had been a good day, thanks to the visit of Zurg and Lawrence. With the thought of that double date on his mind, he looked forward to it and cuddled his cat, trilling. It would be great to see Jo again!

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 am