Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: First of Nine

Post by Lawrence on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 am

Glen fought and squirmed for a little bit, but with Kev on the job, eventually the ram calmed back down. This was a good thing, as any further struggling might've damaged the wool Lawrence was still trying to shear. He made sure to keep focus on getting nice even strokes with the shears as he worked, though he still kept participating in the conversation as well. "Yes, I suppose you're right. If the both of you managed to find someone, then perhaps there is hope for myself as well."

He would be lying if he didn't say some part of himself still wanted to cling to old wishes. He really would be, but accepting what was would be far better for him in the long run. The butler knew that, and yet... ugh, he had work to do, he couldn't focus on that right now! Again he turned his attention to the sheep, starting to work on shearing Glen's back wool.

Again the double date was brought up, and Lawrence filed those details away in his memory. He was often the one answering the phone or door at Jo's house, chances were he would be the first to hear of where Kev and Leslie wanted to go.

The conversation went back to Lawrence's mention of Samara and Terra. They'd tried, really. They all had, and for what? There were another two broken hearts on this crazy planet. It was almost to the point where he might not give advice the next time it was needed . . . though inwardly he knew he probably would anyway. He knew he was something of a cold person, but still wanted to give his friends a push in the right direction every once in a while.

At the compliment, he had to wonder if he might be blushing faintly or not. Lawrence tried to focus on the fact that both Zurg and Kev had said something similar. "Ah, well, thank you both for the vote of confidence. I know there may be someone out there that could manage it, but given my own skill at using false platitudes when it may be required, I can pick them out far easier than others might."

Last edited by Sh'iirtun-tuk on Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 am

All this talk about Lawrence's love life had Kev wondering what Lawrence's type would be. Immediately thinking another robot would be his type was....kinda speciest. Just because he was a robot didn't mean he'd be attracted only to robots. He wanted to come right out and ask, but maybe part of Lawrence's melancholy was due to not knowing for sure what he wanted? And it didn't help either that honestly, the availability of the people of Portal Breach was varied. Different species, different cultures, different ages and life spans, and some people just weren't meant to be together. "Yeah, if Zurg and I can find someone, I'm sure you could too~!" Especially considering the changes Zurg had gone through.

He focused on Zurg and nodded. "Yeah, not that I know of at least." Maybe there WAS someone here who knew stuff about Sheep anatomy...maybe even Leslie herself might know. He nodded in agreement, talking to Leslie might be the best course. She might have her own ideas about what to do with the little ram. "I'll talk to her about it when I talk to her about the double date." Which would probably be today sometime. "How long are you transformed for, Lawrence?" If he was going to let Zurg and Jo know ahead of time where they were going to go, it'd be a good idea to tell them about it at a time they'd be there. And if Lawrence's other tasks were anything like this, they might not be home very often.

Zurg's words on being one's innermost self made Kev nod almost sheepishly. "Bottling it up also allows for something that can get a little wiggle room in there to let it all explode..." Like the Phazon had done, when it began to corrupt and mutate him. It began to make him insane, and wouldn't you know it, frustrations like that were just ripe for being picked at. He'd become a jerk, pushing people away and viewing the people who called themselves his friend as just being users, like Harry and Psyche had been. At the time, it had become sensible to do away with everyone else before they could do away with him, like they all certainly would. It had been an overreaction though, although what he had done before wasn't healthy either. No...after his trial, Kev realized what he had to do was something that was in the middle, as it were. If it was healthier for him to break apart from someone, he would do it, one at a time. He hadn't seen 5 in a while either, and despite a small tinge of guilt, he really did feel a lot better now. "One day, I should really pay you back for helping me like that!"

More details about the date~! Friday nights and weekends were the best times, which happened to be the best time for him as well. He covered City Noise in the mornings with Jana and they alternated for the afternoons. "The weekend seems to be the best time for a date!" Saturday might work most, as it would allow all of them to be able to hang out without being fretful about staying up too late. "Meeting up wherever we go also sounds like a good idea." Vigorous nod of agreement! He and Leslie would probably have to make sure to leave a little early so Jo and Zurg wouldn't have to wait forever for them to arrive.

"Rushing in general usually leads to disasters." Like trying to make something very important, such as a gun or some other invention, if rushed into, the consequences could be disastrous. Much like the disasters left behind from rushing into love. Kev had just been glad nothing much had come from his own 'relationship' with Carrie. The conversation began to die down as Zurg went back to his work, and Kev took that as a cue for himself and Lawrence to focus on finishing up with Glen. "After him, we're halfway done!" He let go of Glen's horns with one hand and pat Lawrence's back gently. "I think its because you've never let us down before. Or given us a reason to doubt that you can think." Although for Kev at least, that was because they didn't really hang out much. Still, if Zurg trusted him, he must be worth trusting. Glen started to put up a small fight again so Kev brought his hand back down and continued holding him down and still, cooing softly. Almost done, Glen, almost~!
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:03 pm

What? wrote:"Yeah, if Zurg and I can find someone, I'm sure you could too~!"
    "And what's that supposed to mean?" Consider the monarch slightly indignant! Why, of course a man like himself could find someone. Was he not just a perfect - ah, that old habit was surfacing again. Settle down, starving ego. Back to the subconscious dungeon with you. Zurg nevertheless crossed his arms and somewhat spoke in a haughty tone with not-nose slightly upturned. This was experience talking, so listen up! "Correction, Kev - you mean if people like Phantom can find someone then we most certainly can, too." Standards! You must have standards! He then dismissed one of his hands in a casual manner. "And Lawrence is oodles worth more than Phantom and his Masters cult." Sniff. Yes, that was his pride showing.

But, dignity aside, the monarch ceased sounding like a Tangean Royal and listened to the conversation unfold. "That sounds like a good idea, Kev. And Lawrence is slated to remain transformed for a week. This is the first day and it's already been so exciting~!" No sooner had he said this, though, the alien went on to sigh and slump. He appeared quite tuckered out. "Ugh... Almost too exciting," he quietly muttered. If he thought this was a chore, then there was a certain Ra Moon plot Zurg should absolutely meet. Nothing but stress, ulcers, and tumours! Was he medically insured? Tally, you cheapskate! "Hmm? Repay me?" Dohoho... You sure you want to owe Zurg a favour, Kev? The alien could be a mean debt collector, he'll have you know. Contrary to normal principle, Zurg expressed polite reluctance at Kev's offer. "Consider it a token of appreciation," he went on to say. As for what, exactly, he appreciated the alien did not explain. "Besides, what are good friends for? You were suffering and if there's anyone who can smell out manipulators, it's yours truly." One does not simply be bros in Portal Breach.

Speaking of bros, Zurg wasn't sure if Kev had their phone number. He was sorta apprehensive about giving it out, but he trusted Kev - mostly. That alien had psychic lips that could sink any Raenok ship ever created! "I can give you our phone number and you are more than free to call it," he suggested. "That way we can keep in touch in case anything happens between now and then." Kev did have a phone, right? Or did he rely on carrier pigeon?

Ah well; they could sort all of that out later. Zurg didn't want to disturb the two any longer with Glen and was happy to find that his sorting was paying off. Although his fingers were starting to now itch from coming into contact with the material... Was this poisonous? And was he even doing this right? What was he even doing!? "Maybe if I do..." this - which was carefully take two shards, ones he thought would fit together, and get them to click into place. Steady, steady... dink! "Yay!" It was a match! That was two similarly-sized shards now connected, but what about the other thousand or so? Zurg stared at his little piles and then back to the conjoined piece in his hand. It was no bigger than a grain of rice.

"...Well this is going to suck." X'ki, as painful in death as he was alive.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:41 am

Lawrence paused for a moment in the shearing when Glen began trying to act up again, but the young ram calmed down soon enough and the ex-robot got back to work. At Zurg's protest, Lawrence also kind of stuck his non-nose in the air. "Yes, I most certainly am worth more than those fools..."

The butler kept shearing the wool, close to finished now, and nodded at the mention of how long his transformation was. "Yes, I will be like this for an entire week. Frankly I hope the excitement dies down a bit . . . today was a bit much so far."

Eventually, Lawrence finished with shearing Glen, only to notice what Zurg was doing. If he had any eyebrows he would've arched one. "Are you quite all right over there? Perhaps you should find someone with specialized equipment and have them help with X'ki's repairs . . . not that I don't have confidence in your abilities, but that looks as if it would be rather difficult."
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:49 am

Someone's feathers were ruffled!~ "I'll tell you exactly what it means~! It means if a cowardly, thin, bald, green alien with no outstanding qualities and a charming, muscular, purple alien who used to have the word 'Evil' in his name can find someone who loves them for everything they are and aren't, then surely a quick-witted, snarky robot penguin can find someone who'll love him.~ No offense was meant at all!" Eugh. Eugh. Bad example. Terrible example. Kev's nostrils wrinkled a bit. "The Masters' cult is a bad example of 'finding love' in general, Zurg. Especially since Phantom found someone who he ended up losing." And in the process, lost his kid as well.

What was this, the third time today Kev had a good idea/said something right? He felt like the star pupil of a class! Does this little visit entail some golden stars?~ "Ah, a week! That's pretty standard. I hope its fun!" And this was his first day? Exciting, eh? Too exciting? Did it have anything to do with whatever Zurg was picking through? Maybe Lawrence broke a vase or a remote or something with his new Zurgy Thingy strength. And yes, perhaps offering an 'IOU' to a guy who used to be an Evil Emperor might have been a bad idea, but at the same time, he trusted Zurg and he wanted to do right by him. "Aaw, Zurg~! Thank you!" Truly, the test of friendship involved getting over conflicts and keeping your friendship alive no matter what. Zurg and Kev had a few rough parts, but they were forgiven and forgotten about. Why? Because Zurg knew how to apologize.

Kev tilted his head to the side as Zurg brought up the possibility of Zurg giving him a call at the house. Friggin' phones, how do they work? The idea of having a phone number so he could call Zurg and they could gossip talk in the wee hours of the morning was a neat idea! But... "I uh...can't really...speak through a phones. Or any electronic devices, really. Telepathy can be so problematic! I'll figure out a way to get in contact with you though Zurg, don't you worry!~" Perhaps a carrier llama...

Back to work they went! Lawrence finished up with Glen, Kev undoing his binds and letting the little emasculated sheep go to wobble away. He stood up and went to the group of sheep, searching through the bunch. Last time Zurg and he had sheared the sheep together, it had been the dark purple sheep, Mary, that they had sheared after Glen. He stared at the remaining sheep with a small, morose look, before he scooped up a creamy blue colored sheep, and carried her over to Lawrence, picking through her wool. He did, however, catch the ends of Zurg and Lawrence's words. Something was going to suck? X'ki? "The little robot that took me for a wild ride? What happened to him?" Oh boy. That was likely the excitement they were referring to!
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 am

Ooh~! Lawrence had the haughty look down to a perfected Z! Not to promote arrogance, of course; it really was true concerning who, exactly, composed the Masters cult. After all, would Danielle Masters offer any suggestions on how to fix X'ki? Zurg rested his case and thought no more of those trying ghosts. "I am aware that there are others who could assist me in this repair, yes." On a world such as Portal Breach, anything could be possible. But here is where the alien found a petite... snag. Well, perhaps much more niggling than originally thought if coming from someone looking in. "Although I am by far not the best for this task, I am the only one who should undertake it," he said. "X'ki is my friend and, no matter how infuriating he is, it would be an insult to let anyone without our hands become too intimate with his design." In short, this was a matter of friendship as well as doctrine. And... a smidgen of paranoia, too. And what's that, Kev?

"Eeehahahoo~! You called me charming~!" And how cute. Kev also was allergic to the Masters cult. Zurg found this more amusing than he really should have. "Dohoho, you know it was only sarcasm, Kev," the monarch responded to his friend. He even dismissed another hand, this time playfully and with a moderate grin. "I am willing to wager that none of us would be so inept as to let our child be executed." Zurg ended his previous sentence with a particularly sour note, grumbling to add, "And why people like Phantom are allowed to reproduce is beyond me..." Was that a hint of bitterness?

Perhaps. But the alien had other things to focus on. Not only did Kev possibly lack a phone, but he also didn't have a mouth to speak with! Palm, meet forehead. Forehead, deal with it. Zurg groaned at his blunder and felt like a complete boob. "I'm sorry, Kev. Forgive me for taking a common novelty for granted." Duh, think before speaking! How could this situation be remedied? A carrier llama was a grand sight to behold, but Llama would either eat Zurg's prized petunias or... leave little mementos all over the front yard. The alien didn't want Jo stepping into those and carrying the mess right back into the house. "Hmm... Well, if you are ever in town and you have an answer, why not stop by?" Zurg suggested, hoping this method worked much better than the last he proposed. "I may not be home due to work, same with Jo, but perhaps leaving a small note on the door will suffice. And, should push come to shove, I could find a way to send you... something." Like a small, innocent communication device that didn't require voice? It was all hard to say, for Zurg did not know how Leslie would take to such gadgetry. "Or you could also give a note to Lawrence and in turn he could give it to one of us. Provided you don't mind of course, Lawrence."

Paying attention to his work was starting to become difficult. Zurg just loved chatting with friends and interacting! But if he kept getting distracted then X'ki would never get finished. It also didn't help that he was surrounded by bleating sheep, where their presence reminded him of days long, long past... He eyed Kev's flock and felt vaguely remorseful. About what and why may never come to light.

Kev wrote:"The little robot that took me for a wild ride? What happened to him?"
    "...Hmm?" Zurg pulled himself out of the daze and blinked at his friend. Oh! He must have been talking about X'ki. "Doho... Kev, my friend is not a robot," he politely corrected. If X'ki heard that then a world of hurt would have come Kev's way. What else was new? "He is a construct that houses a digitally-saved personality. There is no real programming involved." A pseudo-living artifact, if it were. "But yes, he..." Uh-oh. Zurg had to catch himself there. He couldn't tell the whole story to Kev, should he? Friends weren't supposed to lie to one another, either...

Thinking for a moment, the alien had a fitting answer. "He... had a small accident." Yes, that wasn't too revealing and it was still truthful. "My friend miscalculated his fortune and tested Lady Luck. She didn't take too kindly and... well, stomped on him." Good going, Zurg. How is it that two aliens without a pair of lips managed to talk so much?

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:41 am

At Zurg's explanation of why he could not accept anyone helping him with the repair of X'ki, Lawrence tried not to show how exasperated he felt. On one hand, he did understand, he certainly was rather reluctant to let anyone know of his own schematics. On the other, a bit of assistance might better ensure that X'ki would be all right after all of this. In the end, he let his pragmatic nature show as he offered another suggestion. "Hmm, perhaps you could ask one of the scientists lurking about if they could teach you to run their equipment, and then ask to borrow it for a while. I'm sure one of them could be bribed-- er, paid well enough that they would not record anything."

Yep, once a mercenary, always a mercenary, but at least the butler knew better than to try and pretty it up very much. The next sheep was presented for shearing and Lawrence once again got to work, though he could not help adding some of his own bitterness to the pile. He held little respect for all of those he was about to mention at this point, and that only added to the burn. "This is the same twisted universe that allowed that ridiculousness with the Alternians to happen, as well as allowed Overcast and Swindle of all people to adopt..."

That was the only thing the ex-robot let slip, once again focusing on the sheep before him. This one was had pale blue wool, a slightly lighter shade than his optics usually were. Lawrence tried to shear as quickly and efficiently as he could, and that was getting easier now that he had taken care of a few sheep before this one. He still remarked on the plans for the double date, however. "It would be quite all right to leave a note with me; I do not mind at all."

When Zurg explained what happened to X'ki, he chuckled faintly. "Lady Luck, hmm? I suppose that is one way to put it. The Goddess was angered and thus the little flying headache was smited . . . although he is still appearing to be a headache even in that condition."

Having said that, the butler worked on getting the last bits of pale blue wool free from its owner.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:33 am

So Zurg would be the only one to work on X'ki's poor broken form? Might have been a cultural thing. Although maybe x'ki would just be angry to hear that someone's hands other than Zurg's had touched him. Kev didn't really know the little thing very well. One of his only experiences with it had been a ride through the skies of the city. Not fun. There were explosions everywhere, screaming, maybe some crying, and a lot of prayers to the Kreemzak to keep him alive. That day, he surely was lucky to be alive.

Kev waved his hand at Zurg and turned his head away coyly. "Of course!~ You can be very charismatic when you want to be, Zurg!~" A goofy kind of charisma that Kev enjoyed to be around. A contagious one at that, since whenever Zurg entered the Sanctuary, he seemed to have the respect of most people there. Whether it was due to his charisma or word of mouth (possible word of brain too, the lips that sink ships), very few people tried to pick a fight with Zurg. The ones who did? Well...they might find themselves in the company of a certain head puppet. "Oh, of course! But just in case. I wouldn't want to unintentionally offend you or something, Zurg."

His gaze briefly lowered, remembering how Phantom and Anna had let their child be killed. Oh sure, perhaps they didn't 'really' let him die. But he had been left alone, to fend for himself. A child, who needed his parents. His mother, gone from the face of the planet. His father, probably dead again. How a ghost could die so frequently was beyond Kev! They worked together, and somehow managed to bring a kid here. Despite being dead and undead, they created a child, and in the end... Kev sighed. He remembered being there, when Rhys admitted that he had killed some woman, because he was hungry. One of OV's vampire friends came to take him away, and Kev had assured him that everything was going to be okay. He hadn't meant to lie to the boy, he thought everything was going to work out. Alas...it didn't.

"At least, not if we can help it. If the execution is at the hands of an evil God creature..." He trailed off guiltily. Even if he had raised his children himself, even if he had met them for a mere moment and exchanged a hello, nothing would have allowed him to protect them from the assault that destroyed his entire universe and the universe of so many others. It had taken another God showing up just to take down Alpha last year. And that had just been some tiny part of him! Zurg and Lawrence's bitter sentences didn't go unheard either. "Because people take things for granted. Whether its earning a few children's adoration, or the ability to somehow make children. Seriously, how did they make him? She's dead, and he's a GHOST! You don't see Aya and OV making babies, but her, I guess her uterus plus HIM equals baby somehow!"

Thankfully the subject changed, just when Kev was feeling like a Downer Debbie. "Its fine, Zurg! People usually forget my mouthless-ness~ Its quite common." A brief visit and a note, hm? And Lawrence would be quite fine with taking the note? "I think a note sounds great! Its simple, easy, I just hope my handwriting won't be a problem!" A note was easier than a carrier Llama.

Kev helped to pick a few bits of grass out of the sheep, named Bessie's wool. Soon enough, Lawrence got started on shearing her, working quickly and efficiently. "He's not?" Kev mostly just assumed metal people were robots. It seemed to be the law of PB after all! That cybertronian? Robot. Lawrence? Robot. Robot's could even have synthetic skin. X'ki seemed to be a bit more complex than just a robot... "Digitally saved personality? So is he like uh....MaDOS? Harboring someone else in him?" Although with MaDOS, he was still a bit iffy about how she managed to end up with two souls in her. Poor X'ki had an accident, and Lady Luck had stepped upon him? "Lady Pistonne, you mean? Hmm...I hope he can be fixed!" He wanted to know what had happened, but decided this was a case to clam up a bit. They were already talking so much!~ Like a couple of gossipy hens.

With Bessie free of her wool, Kev undid her binds and gave her behind a pat to urge her to wobble away. "We just have Lula and Lavender and you'll be done!" He walked over to the two, and grabbed up the pink one, stroking her head. "Be a good girl, Lula, we're almost done!~" He trilled at her as well and placed her in front of Lawrence, picking through the wool.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Lawrence was quite determined for Zurg to seek help, wasn't he? But the alien only shook his head in response and the answer did not change. "No, I am to do this myself," Zurg insisted. "X'ki is my responsibility and I am not going to break anymore tenets concerning our affairs." He had already done enough damage to their ways. You will have to remain exasperated Lawrence. You simply will. And urp, Lawrence! Why did you have to add more to the already ambiguous story!? This will be addressed soon enough, but not now.

"If you offend me, then you offend me. I think you are allowed to step on my toes after all I have done to you, Kev." Just... be wary of how you step on those toes, hmm? Zurg considered his pinkie toes off-limits. The topic of children was normally off-limits too, but who can resist a good gossip? Not Zurg, and the alien loudly scoffed. "I will always think that the only reason Anei and Phantom could have a child was because they took a gigantic steaming pile of feces and smeared it all over logic. There really is no other way to explain how something undead could create life. Is it so hard to ask for this world to remain consistent for even one year!?" Cue the rattling of fists and glowing of eyes! Temper, temper. Zurg gurgled something unintelligible in an erratic nature but otherwise eased himself to calm down. If he didn't control himself, then something dry around Kev's cottage was surely going to be set ablaze. No, can't have that. "Mmph... Mnngh... Sorry. I got a little carried away there," he said. Regarding both Overcast and Swindle, the alien felt mildly irritated but not as miffed like with Anei and Phantom. "Eh, Overcast and Swindle may not be the best candidates for guardians but it's not like I can claim to have done much better." The whole failure with Xenon was still fresh in Zurg's mind, even if he didn't want it to be. "Although I do think their adopted children should be disciplined more often."

That said, the Alternians were an entirely other matter. Zurg crossed his arms upon recalling what had transpired not too long ago and even narrowed his eyes. "Hmph, what a royal mess that was," he commented. "Not all of the Alternians are little snots, but they act so... so... so capricious." Zurg could be the emperor of mood swings if he wanted, but even he knew his boundaries. Couldn't say the same for Vantas, however. He also couldn't understand the feeling Kev was going through concerning his children. It was one thing to have children on the Breach, but it was another to have lost children because every universe imaginable went up and imploded. "That could not be helped, Kev. If you could have done something to save your children, I know you would have. You wouldn't have let them perish without a fight." Zurg said nothing more of Alpha and instead broached another topic of conversation.

"Well, if your handwriting is anything like Jo's handwriting then I'll need a better pair of glasses to read it~!" the alien chuckled. And... maybe a few minutes to decode whatever cryptic language Kev was writing in.

Now was the time to address Lady Luck, and Zurg shoulders momentarily seized. "...!" Great, now Kev knew that Jo had crushed X'ki. Zurg had been trying to remain figurative! "...Well, he's not quite like MaDOS, no." Ew, the comparison. X'ki may be a pain in the neck, but he was certainly not as obnoxious as MaDOS. "The metal shell is just a type of casing - I left it at home for the time being. And as far as I know it's just X'ki in there. Or, well, a digitally-saved copy of him. The real X'ki died long ago." Of course Zurg couldn't admit that he didn't know if his friend died a long time ago. He simply knew that X'ki was... gone. Had his friend been alive prior to Alpha's purge? Maybe, but if he was then the shepherd was dead anyway. There was no real reason to state the truth if the conclusion was just the same as the lie's. Anyway, fixing. Zurg was supposed to be fixing.

"Yes, you could say that Lady Luck smote him." But the alien didn't want to reveal anything more. Jo didn't need anymore trouble than what she already had and it wasn't good to talk about her when she wasn't here. So Zurg went back to connecting pieces together, painful bit by painful bit, and moving on his merry slow way.

Although Lula's vibrant coat was pretty distracting...

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:10 am

Lawrence let loose a bit of a sigh as he started to shear this next sheep, but otherwise didn't continue to press the issue. "Ah, very well." He wasn't quite willing to give it up as a last resort, though. "However, if things prove too difficult, seeking aid is something to keep in mind." He left it at that, as there was still work to do.

The ex-robot was steadily working on shearing the wool from Lula's back when Zurg had his slight outburst. Lawrence kept an eye on him for a moment, but the monarch managed to get things back under control. Unfortunately, that last bit of musing felt distinctly like the alien blaming himself for something again, though the butler was confused as to the origin. "You cannot claim to have done better? But you haven't--" A pause as he realized just who Zurg meant, and then he had to make sure the natural scowl on his new face didn't get any worse. "Oh. Her. Apologies, but I believe that likely would have ended the same way regardless of your involvement. She certainly did not feel the same for you, considering..."

As much as Lawrence wanted to go further on that point, to say how many young women just like Xenon he had seen attracted to danger and equally dangerous people, how they would just figuratively burn themselves out or die due to their own foolishness, he did not elaborate. It was bad enough he said what he had just now, that would probably set Zurg's temper alight again. He braced himself for that possibility even as he continued to shear more of the pink wool.

Lawrence stayed silent after that, not having much else to say for the moment. It did not take him long to finish with Lula as well, which left only Lavender.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 pm

"I'm not sure if I could ever step on your delicate toes!~ Boop, and run away, yes. Poke, definitely. Step, probably not and especially not stomp on them. What's a little teasing between friends, hm?~" He didn't even mind some of the more physical teasings! Like the Junxidian Silk Strangler. It was all in good fun, and the alien had never been the death of him.

Took a big steaming poop on logic? Made as much sense as Phantom being magical when combined with Anna's magic womb. They were the only undead people Kev had ever known to have had babies, and it hadn't happened since then, so maybe their logic crap was the only reason behind them having a baby after all. "They went to that trouble to unmake the logic of birth and for what? To neglect their child." He huffed bitterly. But his bitter tone had nothing on Zurg's! Kev was quick to take a step away at the sight of his glowing eyes, blacks of his eyes shrinking in slight fear. He calmed himself down quickly and Kev relaxed in turn. "Its fine, we all need a chance to let off some steam every once and a while!" It could have been worse! These sheep could have been turned into lambchops, Kev into boots and Lawrence into...a purse maybe?

"At least OV and Swindle try, too. Compare that to Miss Disappear and Mr. I Can't Stop Dying. Livewire and Jana might be on their own a lot, but they're not as dangerous as Rhys was, or young." He was just a baby, a toddler, and he needed guidance from his parents, especially since he drank blood. Livewire could possibly hit someone as a car, but that was where having a Cybertronian as a guardian was probably useful. Jana was almost an adult now. Although... "A little discipline never hurt." He remembered how angry OV had been when Jana had become infected with the Phazon so she could be with an infected Livewire. Jana had been grounded for it, but whether it had an effect on her would remain to be seen.

The trolls were next on the discussion, eh? "Equius is...interesting, Nepeta's adorable, I haven't seen Gamzee in a while, the Mertroll is neat just for being a Mertroll, Terezi's nosy, Mituna's special in a good way, Sollux is...odd. And Karkat's nice! Bad at first impressions, very opinionated, but also nice." Any other opinions were tossed aside as Zurg used a very interesting word. "Capricious? What does that mean?" That sounded neat! Capricious! "Thank you Zurg." He whispered, looking away sheepishly. He was glad Zurg had so much faith in him, although he wasn't sure about it. Before Portal Breach, he hadn't put much thought into the fact that he had kids. Parenthood in the sense of raising spawn wasn't something common or upheld like it was for other species. However, he was sure that if a moment had come where his spawn were in front of him and in danger, he would have tried to save them. If not because they were his, then because losing one Kryptonistanian instead of three was better for the whole.

Lawrence the Zurgy Thingy wrote:"Oh. Her."

Her?

Her.

Bob.

Almost as soon as the word 'her' had left Lawrence's lips, Kev ducked and rolled to a bush, hiding behind it. The last time that name had been mentioned things didn't go well or end well! He stayed behind the bush, which incidentally was where Lavender was, munching at grass. But there was a distinct lack of lasers eyes, or choking, or yelling. Deeming it safe, Kev popped up from behind the bush, sheep in his arms. "I was uh...grabbing Lavender! Yes." Save that face, Kev. Save it. He brought the sheep over as Lawrence sheared, getting her ready and plucking the debris out. "My handwriting should be good with the glasses then!"

So X'ki wasn't like MaDOS. Good, because they didn't need another odd robot who had a bad choice in kids. X'ki was someone Zurg used to know. Perhaps even from his home world? And he was downloaded with science into a metallic body. "Ooh, I see." Barely, but that was no fault of Zurg's. "Remind me to never anger Lady Luck~ But I hope your friend will be okay, Zurg!" He went back to work, Gods they were distracting him weren't they? Rather, Kev was. Lawrence was hard at work, and soon Lula was set free! Leaving Lavender, also the only one with white wool. He laid her down and cooed to her as he tied up her limbs. "Almost done!"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri May 03, 2013 6:04 am

My, what an interesting turn this conversation decided to take. No matter how many times it surfaced and with whom, history stated that it seldom went very well. Of course, that was then - this was now. And the now dictated that history should be reviewed. Zurg was, as always, distracted from his task and he contemplated the enigma that had been Xenon. On the one hand, Lawrence was right; would a greater amount of involvement have changed anything at all concerning the energetic young lady? And, on the other, there was the truth. The truth was, no more real than the material world around them, that Zurg had not been as caring as he could have been - as he had come to be now. Ah, what a difference a few years make. But he could not spend all eternity reflecting on what he could have done better, no. That merely robbed precious seconds from the present - seconds that can never be taken back. Ergo, and after much deliberation within this humble amount of time, the monarch looked up from his lap and simply said, "Xenon cared for me to the point of self-harm. I may not know what happened to her or why she left, but..." But she was not here and not even someone as commanding as he could refute otherwise.

"But it is not my place to think ill of her - or anyone else, for that matter." A lesson very hard to remember and notoriously easy to ignore. It sometimes felt good to talk about others - others like Phantom and Anei, or those who committed mistakes. It was also easier to watch while others went about blindly in the dark instead of experiencing it firsthand. Zurg would openly admit that he never went through life raising a child, but he did understand being abandoned. It was... hard to outright accuse Xenon, and so callously. There was a difference between someone like her and irresponsible adults such as Phantom and Anei. The latter had lived as if life had been a game - nothing more than a whimsy. Xenon, although capable of folly, had been vivacious - too vivacious. So lively that it had sent Zurg into a stressful state, where all he could do to cope was shutdown and function throughout life pragmatically.

Xenon always had to be doing something - being something. It was either this or that, here or there, but never in-between. He hadn't been able to keep up - couldn't be able to keep up. She was the example, the reason, why Zurg cautioned Terra that two cultures cannot simply come into being within days or weeks. Appreciation and tolerance were not things to be taken lightly. History, alas, proved stubborn in the end and the past had already been written concerning the Alternians. "Hmm..." An unhappy sigh, but one relatively accepting of fate.

The alien had much to think about and right now he needed to be fixing his friend. "Capricious means impulsive, Kev. Not all of the Alternians are difficult to get along with, but... I suppose it can be said that they are a rather unpredictable bunch." Piece by piece, member by memory. A grain of rice was becoming a small crystalline fragment, defined and twinkling in the afternoon sun. This could be done and he will not stop until it was so. There were many things he wanted to say regarding the Alternians but it was perhaps best, and wise, not to. Although he did have one last comment to part with, "They are children, but not naive and innocent to the point of dismissing their actions as childish. There is much they can observe and I hope they learn from everything around them." Mistakes, lessons, whatever it may be, they will need to adapt and grow. This world will consume them if they did not. Karkat... Opinions of the boy were earned, given what he had consented to, but the monarch could understand. If only the boy had - ?

Rustle!

Off went Kev, rolling directly into a nearby bush and getting Zurg's immediate attention. "...?" What had happened? Did something go wrong? He came to find that nothing had gone wrong and that Kev, reacting on past experiences, had dove for cover. Zurg looked around to see if there was anything threatening in the area and, when he found nothing, the alien returned his sights onto the sheepish Kev. "That is a rather elaborate way of catching a sheep," he said. The real reason, as it had not escaped him, for Kev's sudden flight was because of Xenon cropping up in their talks. If memory served correct, the... encounter had not exactly been the best of Zurg's behaviour. Somehow watching Kev relive that moment brought a pang of guilt, perhaps a ting of sadness, and Zurg kept quiet. He had apologized for his actions then, yes. But apologies can only heal so much. Kev also didn't give himself enough credit. Although oftentimes referring to himself as cowardly and meek, these were not necessarily bad qualities. After all, for those who claimed to be strong and righteous, where were they now? Where were they, in a world riddled with broken hearts and weeping holes? They were gone and Kev was here, tending to his flock and spending time with them. That was something to admire - the loyalty of a friend. Worth more than all the teryllium in the known universe.

"Thank you for the kind sentiments. X'ki will get better soon. I am sure of it." But will others?

Enough. Lawrence's task was almost complete and his had barely made moderate progress. If he kept stopping to reflect every little thing about himself and others then X'ki will never be reborn. Zurg cut off his thoughts and those hands went back to diligence. "This one should be your last one. You two did well in such a short amount of time."

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Fri May 03, 2013 11:47 am

Even as this last sheep was presented for shearing, Lawrence found he did not feel as forgiving as Zurg. Caring to the point of self-harm? Even as a squishy, that sentence did not compute to the butler at all. He simply couldn't help the words that blurted out from his dual vocals after hearing that, even as much as he knew he should keep quiet. "That sounds more selfish than caring to me..."

Then he seemed to realize what he just said, wincing to himself before looking over at Zurg as apologetically as he could. Well, he could probably hear more of it from Lawrence's tones, at any rate. "Forgive me; it seems this is one of the few things we will have to agree to disagree on. I will not speak of it again, unless you wish to. Besides that, we both have work to do . . . there is no use dwelling on the past when the here and now is what we need to focus on."

Having said that, the ex-robot again focused on his work, this time shearing the pure white wool from the sheep named Lavender. That actually kind of struck him as amusing, why would the white sheep get the name better associated with a shade of purple? He wondered if Kev was responsible for the names...

When the Alternians were mentioned, Lawrence sighed faintly. That definition was sugarcoating it just a bit, as sometimes that impulsiveness had malicious intent behind it. Not all of the trolls were like that, at least not on the surface, but the ones that were certainly made up for the others in spades. Karkat . . . the less the butler thought of that particular thorn in their sides, the better. He could probably consider himself fortunate that his eyes didn't seem capable of the same ability as Zurg's, as otherwise he might be setting the meadow on fire by accident.

In the end, Lawrence stayed quiet from that point onward, again focusing on his work. Not even Kev's little dodge roll and kind of sorry excuse drew his attention for long, and soon enough there was a neat pile of wool and one sheep that would be feeling a lot cooler in the summer months ahead. "There, I believe that takes care of all of your sheep, Kev. Everyone seems to have kept their hooves and ears intact, so it looks like a success from here."
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 am

The list of things Kev knew about Bob was very short. He knew that she knew Zurg, once upon a time. He knew she had left, for some reason. He knew she came back. He knew she lied about herself, calling herself Bob and saying she was Jo and Zurg's lovechild. The last time he had seen her had been very brief. He hadn't seen her since then, assumed she hadn't been killed because that definitely would have come up! So when he and Zurg spoke again when Zurg had graciously apologized for what had happened, and Zurg told him she had left again...it sent him into a little whirlwind of what ifs.

What if Kev had kept his 'mouth' shut? Would Zurg and Hellboy have been saved a whole bunch of grief? Would Bob have eventually just drifted away with Zurg never knowing? Would that be any better, to never know she came back and not get to speak to her while she was here? After all, at the very least Zurg and Bob had gotten a chance to reconcile, a short chance, but still a chance. Maybe...just maybe that would make it worth it. It was a little disconcerting to learn that Bob had cared for Zurg to the point of self-harm. Selfish was definitely one word for it. "That sounds scary..." And that was all that Kev the Bush would have to say about the glorious subject of Bob for now, a subject that was dwindling with every passing moment. Only to be resurrected by Lawrence, who was almost rivaling Kev in curiosity levels.

So that lovely word means impulsive? "Yeah, I'd say that fits them. I'm going to keep that in mind now...I can think of a lot of people who are capricious!"

The concept of what makes one childish and what makes one a child was a very finicky subject, especially regarding other species. The Alternians were...8 sweeps? Something similar, and even though they were spawn, they were also very self-sufficient, as demanded by their culture since they were raised by Lusi and not their genetic parents. Jana and Jo, both from Trade World, had done a lot of things on their own, as different lifestyles also dictated a difference. "This place can be a tough teacher sometimes. They'll either adapt or..." He trailed off, not sure how to finish that sentence. Leave? Die? Disappear? Stay anyways? It was hard to say.

White sheep in hand, Kev chuckled, a little nervously, at Zurg's observation. Yes, it would be needlessly complicated. Yes, it made no sense for him to roll into the bushes like a seasoned soldier and pop out with a sheep. Zurg was no dummy. Excuses weren't going to fly, but they seemed to fly out all the same. "Yeah yeah, I know, for sure! But Lavender, um, she can be a pesky sheep sometimes...she's a rascal sometimes and she's really fast so I was thinking, 'Hey, I can grab her, for Lawrence'! So I rolled into the bush dramatically and grabbed her, it had nothing to do with that one person getting brought up, who even is she, I don't know, nope!" He ushered past Zurg, avoiding his gaze, and set the sheep next to Lawrence. He felt bad for reacting, he should have kept his cool and shrugged off the mention of Bob, it was just a name after all! Why was he afraid of a simple name? It didn't even end as badly as it could have, he was alive wasn't he?

He pulled at the area of his cape that wrapped around his neck. "I'm sorry Zurg, I'm distracting you from your work. X'ki's not going to get any better with me yapping in your brain! You're welcome, and I hope his encounter with Lady Luck goes better next time." He remained silent this time and stayed by Lawrence's side as he sheared the sheep, one with an apparently ironic name. Sorry Lawrence, Lavender was actually named by Leslie. Almost as soon as it had started, the last sheep had been sheared. He freed her up, giving her side a pat to urge her away. "Go on, run free and naked~!" He turned back to his guests as Zurg complimented the speediness with which the task had been finished.

"I barely did anything, I just taught him the basics then gabbed away in your horns. Great job, Lawrence! I may have to get you to do that for them in a few Summer's time!" He sent the robot turned alien a wink before looking back at the sheared wool. "Are you going to need a bag for that?" One down, eight to go.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed May 08, 2013 4:08 pm

What interesting answers two perspectives gave...

It was not in Zurg's current nature to judge what was right or what was wrong, but he did have something to respond with. "We are all a little selfish, Lawrence," he said to his friend. "Just as we are all a little scary, too, Kev. There is a bit of Xenon within us and, whether we acknowledge this part of ourselves or not, that will forever remain the truth." After all, was it not scary to express one's anger before others? After all, was it not selfish to love someone you could never have? And, after all, was it not scary and selfish to bring about freedom in the form of united rebellion against "God"? Lawrence sounded adamant that his stance would not change, but the monarch knew better. Experience had taught him this much and Zurg slightly shook his head at the temporary organic. "You may disagree all you like," he began to say, "but before the Nine you shall face One. And in the One you will stare unto the face of nothingness and know humility. That is the fate in store for you." Such was the price of learning their ways, the contract willingly signed.

But that was then and this was now. Now was the time to pay attention to the present, where Lawrence and Kev had finished sheering all the sheep. Taking Kev's excuse for what it was and leaving it be, Zurg quietly cleaned up his work, what little he had done, and stood up soon after. "Good work," said the alien. The first task had been a success and Zurg glanced down at Kev. "A few bags would be nice. I would appreciate them very much." No sooner had he voiced his request, however, the alien held up an arm to immediately thrust the tip of his sharpened spear directly before Lawrence's face. And there it hovered precariously, no more than a few inches away from the ex-robot's heated skin. "You are forbidden to touch the wool from this point onward," Zurg rumbled sternly. Nothing in his features gave way that the monarch would be lenient. His judgment was absolute. "It is now sacred; to touch it means you must restart at the very beginning." Such was the price of learning their ways, the contract willingly signed.

Having believed that his curt warning was adequate enough, the monarch lowered his arm and kept a vigilant eye to make sure traditions were upheld. "Once I have finished collecting the First then you may begin the Second." But first they must thank Kev for his willing help; after he returned with the bags, of course.

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 pm