Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Re: Memory Dodging

Post by Sokka on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:24 am

Even though the situation at hand kept him from being able to really smile at Naga's lickings, Sokka certainly appreciated them. At the very least, the polar bear dog remembered him… and hopefully, between her own displayed trust to him and the call he had made to Aang, Korra would be able to remember him as well. She still appeared to be sternly distrusting of him, but it almost seemed as though there were the very beginnings of uncertainty there as well.

His friend faltered, apologizing and admitting that she did not understand. Honestly, even though his own memories were of course still in tact, Sokka wasn't so sure he understood this mess any better than she did. At the very least though… Korra seemed willing to try and turn inward as she dropped to sit down on the snow. Sokka instantly recognized the pose she took… it was a meditative one that he had seen Aang assume countless times. Would this help her remember him, or could such concentration not even help bring her memories back to the fore?

Korra did not seem to enter the Avatar state (although that was a bit tougher to tell since she did not have Aang's trademark arrow tattoos), nor did she appear to have crossed over to the Spirit World… however, that last sharp breath she had taken resulted in her stiffening up and keeping that intense concentration. Sokka's eyes widened slightly as he watched her, hoping against hope that this might actually work. The longer Korra sat there, the slower time seemed to pass… but even as time felt as though it had slowed to a crawl, the warrior's instincts were telling him that something WAS happening here. He couldn't see what, but he could feel it…

And when Korra's blue eyes snapped open, Sokka could tell roughly what it was even before she looked up to him.

She had remembered him.

Once she spoke to him, once she said his name… he could not help but break into a slight smile, the relief clearly evident across his features. He closed his eyes in silent gratitude for a brief moment, right before he opened them and looked back to his friend, soon kneeling down before her.

"It's all right, Korra…" It really was… no matter how short-lived this might prove, no matter where the strange events might take him next… right now, all that mattered was that his friend had remembered him. "I'm just glad you were able to come back."
    Korra
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 31

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    360/360  (360/360)
    Stamina Bar:
    62/62  (62/62)

Post by Korra on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Naga sat in the snow a few feet away, watching the two talk, watching Korra meditate and remember Sokka, watching them reconcile. Why her human forgot her friend, Naga did not understand. Apparently the two, older humans had done the same thing, forgetting Sokka of all people. And why did she retain her own memories? Why did she still recognize and remember the kind water tribe teenager? She laid on the ground with a soft thud and rested her head upon her large paws, giving out a soft whimper. These weren't things that she could understand or riddle out. All she could do was hope that it wouldn't happen again.

Sokka kneeled down beside the young Avatar, who looked away from him. "How...how could I forget you? I knew you in a past life! That should mean something, that should make it easier for me to remember you." Otherwise, what was the point of being the Avatar? To forget the people they knew or affected in their past lives? Time had shown, repeatedly, how such a thing could be useful. Avatar Roku's granddaughter was Zuko's mother, making Zuko related to Aang in a way. Avatar Roku's old airbending friend had been Aang's father figure, Aang's old friend Bumi was still his friend a hundred years later as well as his namesake for his first son. Aang's son and Toph's daughter were her friends, almost like family! And Sokka had been one of Aang's best friends, eventually his brother in-law.

Though the same could be said for Lin and Tenzin, who grew up with Sokka as their uncle. They knew him more than she did, and even they forgot her. She turned back to face her friend, wrapping her arms around him tightly. "I'm so sorry, Sokka..." What if it happened again? Would they be able to re-remember him next time. She sniffled at the thought and tightened her grip. Naga got up from her spot and made her way to the two, brushing up against them and licking their faces.
    Sokka
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 45

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Sokka on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Sokka briefly glanced to the side as he caught the sound of Naga sitting down in the soft snow, and he soon gave the polar bear dog a grateful nod. He was still unsure as to why Naga had not been affected in the same way that Korra had, but now more than ever, he was especially glad for that difference. Even if the Avatar's companion had not been there with them, he had a feeling deep down inside of him that somehow, some way, he would have been able to avoid the icy attack that Korra had been prepared to make… or at least fare better from it than he might otherwise have if he had really been an enemy of hers. Her memories might have been altered by the strange goings-on, but Sokka still knew his friend.

Even if her own memories had faded even more by the next day… he still trusted her. Sokka was determined to do his own part to fix this mess, and he knew that no matter what happened until that time came, that Korra would be right there on the return side.

When Korra turned away, Sokka's expression softened. Even with as tough as this was for him, he knew that in another sense, it was also difficult for her. To have your own memories taken away without realizing it, and then to recover them and remember that you had started to lose them in the first place? And more than that… to wonder if they would ever fade completely without knowing it? The very thought sent a shiver down his spine, but even with that idea and his own worry of being forgotten by those closest to him, he was not about to let any of this discourage him.

"Hey, you couldn't help it…" Sokka started, trying to catch Korra's gaze for when she might turn back to him. It did sting beyond belief that she had forgotten him in such a way, but the important thing was that she HAD remembered him. "We don't know what's going on here, but whatever's causing all of this is not invincible, and you and I are stronger than this… your knowing me in a past life just proved that. You might have forgotten… but because you knew me then and now, you DID remember me."

None of this made any sense… but although he only had the basest of clues to go off of right now, Sokka was going to do everything he could to fix it. He was going to help restore things to the way they were supposed to be… even if it killed him.

When Korra suddenly wrapped him in a hug, Sokka's eyes widened for a moment before he moved to hug her back, holding her just as tight. "It's okay…" As he held his friend close, he also focused on committing this moment to his own memory. He knew that Korra's memory might vanish again without warning, and when it did… IF it did… this was one more thing that he knew could help him press onward. Sokka did not know where he would have to go to sort all of this out, but whether it was to the mysterious castle or even to that strange moon itself, he would do whatever it took to make sure he didn't disappear. "I don't know how… but I'm going to fix this. I'm going to save my own existence… and your and everyone's memories. That's a promise."
    Korra
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 31

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    360/360  (360/360)
    Stamina Bar:
    62/62  (62/62)

Post by Korra on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Indeed, if the polar-bear dog had forgotten her memories too, Sokka would have faced the ire of an angry Avatar and her companion. With Naga remembering who he was though, she had instead been able to help the situation. This could have ended so much worse...Sokka could have been hurt by her actions. What would she have done then?

Sokka wrote:"Hey, you couldn't help it…"
    She glanced at Sokka from the corner of her eye, attention grabbed. That was right, she couldn't. That was perhaps one of the scariest things about this situation...she was the Avatar. She was strong, she was powerful, she was a symbol for the people. Except...not here she was. Here, she was another person in the crowd. It had taken time to get used to, but she did enjoy the lack of pressure, being able to hang out with Sokka, Lin, and Tenzin without worrying about the safety of the City or an Equalist attack. Without glancing over her shoulder to be sure she wouldn't be captured and de-bended, or bloodbent into submission. Being an average Joe was great, when it was a place in society. But when it was her powers...when all she could do was waterbend. When she apparently couldn't even keep a grasp on her own memories.

Still, she listened to Sokka and faced him again. Her face reflected her feelings, her eyes were lowered with a hint of vulnerability and shame, and her mouth was turned downwards in a saddened frown. Her features lightened though, because he was right. She did remember him. It even took a little longer than it had for Lin and Tenzin for her to forget him! As they hugged each other, she smiled, shame cast out and replaced with relief that she re-remembered him. It could have been worse, especially knowing how her temper could get. She pulled away to look up at him, a determined look in her eyes.

"I know you will, Sokka. And..." She bit her lip for a moment, wondering if she should even mention it before she dove right into it. "I...don't think this will be a fight I can help you with. Whatever this is...its affecting me. But I know..." She placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled, clasping it. "I know that you will be able to settle this...and fix it. I might not be there with you in person, but I'll be there in Spirit. And even if I forget you...I don't think Aang will let me forget you forever. When you come back...we'll be waiting."

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm