Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Re: Another Sort of Holiday Spirits

Post by Barney Calhoun on Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 am

That brought a wince, that was quickly stifled. There was a reason, after all, for why Barney Calhoun was here, brooding over a mug of something vaguely alcoholic. Don't get him wrong, there was plenty of good things that had happened to him since coming to the Breach, and... well, he wouldn't exactly say he wouldn't have given it all up if someone turned up and offered him a way back home... but, hell, there were plenty of reasons why he was glad he'd ended up here.

Even if some of them weren't around anymore.

He took a swig from his mug, finishing off the drink. "I've got to admit, I'm a little jealous... It'd be nice to have a couple of familiar faces from home." He grinned, wryly. "Especially around this time of year, y'know?" Hngh, great Calhoun, I know you were looking to drown your sorrows and all, but getting drunk and depressed's only really satisfying when you had something harder than spiced hard cider, and this was meandering into dangerous territory. How 'bout we steer the subject back to optimistic nostalgia... "I mean, I've met some real great new faces, too, yeah? Present company included. Doesn't mean I don't miss the old ones, sometimes." Now, let's be honest, more than sometimes...

Yeah, okay, he was officially cutting himself off for the evening.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:07 am

Impa did not fail to catch Barney's sudden albeit swiftly halted wince. Whilst she did not know exactly what was on his mind at the moment, yet another thing that the two held in common was some of their lingering attachments to their homeworld. For the Sheikah, she might have been pulled from a better situation on the whole than the former security guard had been, but by the same token, she had been beyond lucky to end up in a place where there was already one familiar face that she knew. That bond had quickly doubled with the presence of the Link of the future, and several months later, Zelda had arrived as well. For Impa, she did not like that at least a few points in time of Hyrule had disappeared, but not only did her charges' presences here prove that there were still points beyond those, they also made her own life here far more pleasant.

As was the Hyrulean way, Impa would have stood strong and continued to move forward, even if she had been entirely on her own. She trusted the same of Link, Link, and Zelda… but all the same, every day she was thankful that they were all together here. She was honored for the chance to be with them, to become closer to them, to make new friends here, and in general, to have a good life in the place that had already become her new home. Nothing would ever replace Hyrule in her heart, but her… she was going to keep on living.

Finishing off her own drink as Barney began to speak again, Impa met his wry grin with a soft one of her own. Placing her glass back down on the table, she stated, "I might be lucky in that regard, and I never forget it… but I can fully understand that feeling. This time of year did not hold quite the same significance in Hyrule that it does here, but the winter seasons were still a time of celebration of the solstice and those close to us." Pausing as she folded her arms on the table and gave a knowing nod to him, Impa soon added, "Now that's certainly a shared sentiment. … I'm happy that my charges are here with me, but being able to meet great new faces such as yourself has certainly helped in adapting to this world. I might cherish my three charges and be glad for the friends I've made here, but I do miss the others I was close to back home."

Hopefully, the old faces they all knew were still safe somewhere, even if it was simply back in the preserved points in time. Regardless, the best anyone could do was to hold onto everyone who was in their heart, whether they were still physically with them or not. Holding on and carrying on was the best way to move forward and truly live.
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 40

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:12 am

If Barney hadn't just finished off his drink (and if he'd been a mind reader) he would have drunk to that. That was the trick, after all. Keep moving forward. Sometimes it meant moving forward with a goal in mind, towards a bright future. Sometimes it just meant moving to put some time and distance between you and the past, until the pain was manageable. Sometimes it was just moving because you hoped things would be better in the future. Sometimes, you kept moving just to stay alive.

But you didn't forget the past, and you didn't forget the ones who got left in the past, or whose paths took them far away. It was good to move forward, but... sometimes it was also good to stop, and take a glance over your shoulder, and remember where you'd been.

Maybe that was what holidays like this were for, really. Stopping to look back, and also to look forward.

"Yeah... It'd be nice to see Eli again, and Alyx. Doc Kleiner." And let's not forget Gordon, his friend who'd finally resurfaced after twenty years, just weeks before Barney got sucked into the Breach. Go figure. He stretched, rolling kinks out of his neck, and settled back a little more comfortably in his chair. "Hell, I'd almost be happy to see Doctor Kleiner's pet headcrab." He considered this, then added, "Almost." And any happy feelings would probably last all of, oh, half a second until the damn thing tried to leap on his face or something. Friggin' creepy crawly... He never understood what the Doc saw in that damn thing...

Shaking his head, as if to clear the memory away, Barney continued, "About this time of year, we'd get together and try and have a Christmas. We said it was mostly for Alyx's sake, y'know? Growing up... She was just a little kid when... Well, everything happened. Anyway... I don't know about the others, but it meant a lot to me, too. It... helped, I guess. Just a couple of hours, remembering the good times, and not thinking about how bad things were getting, yeah?" He idly scratched the back of his head, and then looked up at her, almost sheepish. "Is it kinda weird that... I'd rather have a skimpy little Christmas in a bunker, with a couple of twigs and tinsel for a tree, than, well..." He gestured to the decorations and general holiday cheer that was around them, even in the almost empty cafeteria. "...having a real one?"
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 am

Impa smiled softly and nodded as Barney mentioned the names of some of his friends form his home world, although she did quirk a curious eyebrow at the mention of him almost wishing to see the doctor's pet headcrab. "A pet headcrab? I can't say I've heard of such a creature… although given your tone, they don't sound like standard pets." Be they pets, livestock, or even companions, animals were certainly commonplace alongside the people of Hyrule, but it was not often that anything too odd or thought of as a monster found itself with the title of 'pet.' Not even the Ghost Hunter of the future considered Poes such, although he did like to keep them for his own unknown reasons.

Listening as Barney moved to describe just what he and his did during this time of year, Impa's expression soon shifted to a sympathetic one. The note regarding Alyx rang home with her, especially considering how her own charge had been a mere 10 years old when Ganondorf had first attacked. Princess Zelda might have been wise beyond her years even then, but she was still a child, and to have gone through everything that she had that fateful night… even though the future had been saved and that event swept from her own timeline, it was something that the Sheikah was still sorry she'd had to experience.

Whilst Barney's younger friend had certainly benefited from the observation of the holiday season, it seemed that the former security guard had also gained something very positive from it. It meant a great deal to him, and being able to remember better times whilst enjoying the company of those he cared for had provided him with a much needed boost. It might not have seemed like much even in this world, but it was still something special, and something she could certainly see why he held close to his heart. "Yes… even in dire times, it is definitely important to make such times yours. They give even more meaning to the hope you hold, and yet another reason to move forward and carry on."

As Barney looked to her with a sheepish expression and mused about his own preferences for the holiday, Impa's smile broadened just before she shook her head slightly. "It's not weird at all. That Christmas that you had with those close to you had special meaning, and I am sure that its own outer representation far belied its deeper significance. It was something that all of you shared together, something that you were able to enjoy no matter how things were elsewhere." Pausing for just a moment, Impa soon added, "I might not be as familiar with the holiday as you are, but in my experience… you will remember those that you share such times with far longer than you will the specific details of the events."
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Now, that was the truth---though at the moment, Barney had needed the reminding. The important people in your life were never really gone, until they were forgotten. (A thought that would foreshadow events to come, if he only knew it). Good and bad, the people you cared about (friends and rivals, come to think of it) left an impression on your life. For better or worse, they helped influence who you were now. And, at least in theory, it worked both ways. Barney could say for certain that he wouldn't even be here if not for his friends...

Of course, memories were all well and good, but it didn't mean you didn't miss the absent friends. And he appreciated that Impa wasn't trying to cheer him up, precisely. A sympathetic ear and an understanding listener was just what the doctor would have ordered for Mister Calhoun (this hypotethical doctor probably wouldn't have prescribed the drowning his sorrows in alcohol aspect, but... details). In a way, there wasn't a better cure for absent friends than a friend who was present---no matter if they were a newly minted friend, or a long time veteran.

"Ain't that the truth," he said, in reply to her last statement. "It's nice t' stop and look back sometimes, you know?"

And on the subject of looking back... A trip down memory lane to answer her earlier question about that freaking head humper... "Speaking of which... Yeah, Doc Kleiner was the only person I'd ever met who even wanted one of those damn things for a pet, much less actually had one. Frigging thing had it out for me..." He smirked a bit, "Guess the feeling was mutual. Headcrabs are---were, I guess?---these alien parasites, 'bout yay big-" Gesturing to indicate a box-y something that would have been big enough to fit over someone's head. "-that... uh, well, basically ate people's heads an' turned 'em into zombies." Not cuddly pet material. "The Doc debeaked Lamar so she- it- couldn't hurt anybody... but the damn thing was still a pest." He shook his head, remembering. "But he really cared about the critter."

Glancing over at his drinking companion, Barney shrugged with a grin. "Anyway... Thanks. For listening t' me wax all nostalgic, yeah? It's... appreciated."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:07 am

No matter how long she had been on the Breach, and even for the rest of her days here, regardless as to who might arrive or depart from Hyrule, Impa knew very well that she carried everyone dear to her in her heart. Her three charges, two whom she had known from home and one from its distant future, were all here in person, but those that had not arrived would always be with her in spirit. Whether she could sense them across other points in time or not, they would always be with her in one sense or another. That stood for Nabooru, Rauru, Darunia, Ruto, and Saria; the king and the soldiers, and of course those that she had lost even before she had been pulled here. She would miss each of them from time to time, but being able to be with her three charges and her new friends here certainly helped her carry on around her own steadfast nature.

Holidays were often a time of reflection, and as much as she was concerned with moving forward, the Sage of Shadow did appreciate being able to look back to see how far she had come and what all had helped guide her to this point. Better yet, being able to forge new experiences with friends on these very occasions only made them all the more meaningful.

"It certainly is," agreed Impa with a steady nod.

As Barney took the chance to describe just what exactly a headcrab was, the Sheikah watched his gesture that indicated its size before she raised an eyebrow slightly at the note of just what they did. "I see… I know of various small monsters that can latch on and temporarily hinder someone, or at the very least inconvenience them, but never anything as parasitic as that." As far as the particular headcrab known as Lamar went, Impa could only chuff a bit before shrugging. "I can imagine it was… well, I suppose everyone has that one animal they care for, even if the circumstances of keeping them might seem odd. They're not pets per se, but Link does keep his young horse here… and we do have a couple of Lon Lon cows in the basement as well." An endless supply of fresh Lon Lon milk was certainly worth the upkeep after all, and the two cows were just about as good-natured as Epona herself.

Smiling and nodding to Barney at his grin and words, Impa stated, "You're most welcome. This is a good time of year to reflect on nostalgia, and as always, it's nice to get to talk with you." She and the former security guard might have been newer friends, but the Sheikah was still glad to listen when he needed an ear to talk to. After all, that was what friends did.
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:53 pm

((I am notoriously bad at wrapping up threads, so let's see if I can do it properly this time, eh?))

"Likewise," Barney said. This hadn't been how he'd planned to spend his evening, sure. It was better. He'd been all set to brood quietly over probably more than one alcoholic beverage. Instead, he'd had the chance to wander down memory lane and mull over things in sympathetic company - which had the net result of his spirits feeling more lifted than they would have if he'd imbibed more spirits... After all, this way, he'd only had the one, and it had, for once, been enough.

It had been a kind, generous thing of the Sheikah to do, coming over and talking with him. They might have been friendly acquaintances when she'd sat down, but they were definitely good friends now, at least in Barney's book.

It was getting late, though, and he figured it was better not to push his luck - if he stayed, he might order another. Not to mention, theoretically the kitchen staff might want to close up, too. He pushed his chair back, not yet standing up but getting ready to take his leave. "We've got to do this again, sometime. For now, though, I think it's about time I got some sleep..." And, he thought he actually might manage to, this time.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Impa smiled at Barney’s voiced agreement, giving him a strong nod. The Sheikah herself might not have had any specific plans for this part of the evening save getting a good drink worthy of the season, but it had been very nice to be able to enjoy said drink with even more pleasant company. Being able to help the former security guard share his past, reminisce and share her own experiences, and simply be able to learn more about each other and their own worlds appeared to have been incredibly beneficial for both of them. Barney might have found his own spirits a touch more lifted than she herself did, but Impa was certainly feeling even brighter from the way she had when she’d first sat down.

The two comrades had definitely come out of this conversation as closer allies, and certainly good friends. As far as Impa was concerned, they did have the stirrings of friendship before this point, and this evening only cemented that further. It was a great feeling, and she was certainly happy to have another chance to sit and enjoy a relaxing visit with him.

It appeared that Barney was thinking much along the same lines as Impa herself regarding a future chance to enjoy some drinks, and the Sheikah could not help but smile at that. “I agree. I look forward to it once we get that chance.” As far as going to bed went, Impa was not quite set to head to sleep herself, but it was getting to be a good point for her to return upstairs. After all, her charges would likely want to visit a bit more before they themselves went to bed. “That sounds just fine… I had actually best return to my room myself. You have a good night, Barney. I’ll see you around the inn.”

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 am