Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

I need a Weapon

Post by Arro on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 am

Time: 1pm
    Date: 12/17/12

Arro checked his tattered map, this looked like the place. He leaned on a wing across the rainy street, folding the wet paper together and returning it to his leather rucksack. He examined the building, a three-story construct of modest size in comparison to the towers surrounding it. Of most interest to him, as with the majority of the shops he'd seen, was the door. He was hoping it'd be bigger. It was tall enough, but the width was what concerned him. Arro jostled his wings atop his back, glanced to his broad barrel chest and back to the modest door. Challenge accepted.

He crossed the street with a flap, bypassing crosswalks, and greeted the dubious door with an eager knocking. Hopefully he had come to the right place, he'd considered "XR's Armory" but he needed something specific, he needed a smith with a forge. He shook the rain from his shoulders while he waited, and lifted a wing overhead to create an umbrella beneath which to safely retrieve his schematics. Schematics perhaps wasn't the best word. He had written measurements, but the drawings weren't as precise as he imagined they should be. Drai made for great smiths, but Arro had been too young and too embroiled in war to have considered any trade other than survival. He could make a few things, but it wasn't like the satchel strapped to his chest was a work of art. It was scrappy and stitched with mismatched strips of leather, it fulfilled it's purpose and nothing more. He had learned a bit from making it though, and was planning to replace it soon with an improved design. On his yellowed stretch of paper, drawn in charcoal were plans for a tail blade. A Kvauverrhel. He hadn't an actual blade with him or any imagery to look at, so he reconstructed it as best he could from memory. A long curved cleaver, thicker at the base and slimmer towards the end, that was designed to strap onto his tail over top his natural arrowhead spade.

The best blades were forged by the grizzled elders from the time of Agartha. They passed their trade onto the younger drakes, but as drai ventured out into the earth again and scattered about, those ancient lessons were forgotten. Only a few pupils stuck to colonies, where they could practice and trade their services for prey caught by others. Though gems and edam coin passed just as well. The slim sort of society found in such places was all that allowed drai to develop trades in the first place. Otherwise everyone would be too busy hunting and watching their borders to develop such skills. In the colonies though, the smiths thrived. Tail blades were needed in the new world, as many discovered. Formerly they had been used for cleaving stone, and building purposes. But as drai encountered human enemies, armed with steel vehicles and other mechanical craft, there came the necessity for hard durable steel. Claws and teeth were no use against such things. A good cleaver could work wonders against their technologically advanced foes. Provided it was made properly. The drai Sishithr had a special method of folding the steel that made it extremely durable and resistant to breaking, with a cleaving flexible edge that could cut and smash all manner of metal. In older days, when enemies had consisted of flesh rather than iron, commonly found obsidian had been used. Arro had considered it briefly, but for the purposes of fighting mechanized enemies it would be of no use. Obsidian shattered too easily. He had his claws and teeth for dealing with softer things. The tail blade was going to supplement the shortcomings of his natural weaponry.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: I need a Weapon

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 am

Seems Jo was having a burst of business lately.

The mechanic was at the counter, busy scribbling down a few necessities that she would need for the shop. Nothing more than nuts and bolts, but she was already learning to how keep proper bookkeeping. Big Z always insisted that records and manifests be as specific and concise as possible. He was already a credit to the team~!

KNOCK, KNOCK!

"Hmm?" That's funny... The shop was open during this hour and typically clients entered noting the time schedule upon one of the doors. Was it the rain? She strained her ears, listening again. No... No, not the rain. A voice rumbled from downstairs, momentarily drawing her attention. "What's that? Oh, it's just someone at the door, I think. They didn't enter yet, but I can see a fuzzy silhouette through the glass." Another rumble and Jo nodded. "Alright, I'll go see who it is." Jo set her things down and left the counter, steel-toed boots clomping all the way until she reached a door and carefully pulled it back. Never in her imagination would she have expected to see a dragon. "...Wow," she remarked. Jo took one look at them and glanced around, studying the area. "Looks like I need to invest in bigger doors, huh?" At least she had a bit of humor to go with her profession.

Being considerate, the mechanic noted the rain and thought of something. "You want to swing on back?" Jo asked. "There's a side door with an awning over it. Go around the building, to your left, and I'll meet you there." If that area could house a tank, then it could house a dragon. Jo politely shut the door and proceeded in that direction. "Guess what, Big Z, there's a dragon outside!" she shouted downstairs with a little excitement.

Guess who rumbled back in surprise?
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Level : 52

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Arro eyed the offending obstruction, how best to tackle this he wondered, his oldest foe, the dreaded door, without harming the building? Maybe if he hunkered down real low... he could hold his wings back over his head. However, quickly imagining this scenario brought him to the steely conclusion of, no, that was a terrible idea. Even if he got in the door the shop wasn't guaranteed to be big enough for him to sit up in. That was just a set up for guaranteed awkward and embarrassing destruction. He'd stay outside. At times like these he missed the spacious tunnels and grand cities of older civilizations. Cities here were stacked like a game of stones, where the object was to balance as many smooth rocks as possible in a small restricted space. Made sense for edamr, but if drakon's tried to live in such tight quarters there'd be blood, guaranteed.

He was still examining the door frame when the object of his concern popped open, to reveal a tall edam woman in overalls, sporting a brunette bun held together with a wrench.

"...Wow,"

Arro grinned an inch in response to that. One of the better reaction's brought on by his presence. He was never certain how people would greet him here. It varied wildly from person to person. Everyone had their world, some with drakon's and some without. In most of those with drai, his people didn't sound like the best neighbors. So those without were often easier to get to know. He hoped to eventually change the perception of the few who feared him over time. But he could only be himself and hope that was enough.

"Looks like I need to invest in bigger doors, huh?"

"It's hardly a unique predicament."

"You want to swing on back?" she asked. "There's a side door with an awning over it. Go around the building, to your left, and I'll meet you there."

Arro tucked his drawings under an arm and nodded. "Thanks," he issued with a relieved rumble.

He turned, walking away on all fours with his wings taking the place of his forearms, and his project cradled securely under his chest. The building was of a slightly older fashion than the others craning overhead, but he couldn't be positive. So much of everything in the breach was alien to him. When he thought the word "old" in the context of this place he thought thousands of years old. Not because buildings from his time were anymore advanced, -only a few were- just that structures like this hadn't been seen for an vast and undocumented amount of time. Most that remained in the Aerie from what could be compared to the breach's era had been taken over by wilderness. It was one aspect of this place he actually enjoyed, getting to see so much of the world as it may have been in the past. A time in history no drakon was around to witness. It was just too bad he hadn't anyone left from his own world to see it with.

He scurried beneath the rain with all the grace of a half-drowned cat, his wings held protectively overhead like a mother duck herding chicks. Once beneath the awning he did his best to dry off for the sake of the shop, spreading and shaking his wings, and licking water from his neck. The rest of him was pretty unscathed, wings were pretty handy, well... as long as you weren't fighting through any antique shops that is.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:38 pm

True to her word, Jo was at the back of the building and waiting for her latest client to arrive. The awning was plenty big enough to shield them both from the rain and she kept her distance until after the dragon was done getting situated. "Great! I'm glad you decided to come on around," the woman said with a smile. Before the subject of business was discussed, Jo was not without manners. "Obviously I'm Jo and this is my shop, but who are you? I don't think I've seen you around before." Maybe this was the dragon Big Z had mentioned offhandedly once in every blue moon? She didn't want to assume, though. Could be another dragon for all she knew.

Once the dragon stated who they were, if they wanted to, Jo had noted the paper within their claws. "Seems fancy," she pointed out. Hey, her new employee wasn't the only one with the powers of deduction. Jo wasn't rude to demand what it was, however. To each their own, right? Right! "Anyway, what can I do you for?" the mechanic asked. "Looking for something special?"

Don't know how she could help a dragon, but obviously this one thought so. What could it be?
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Jo Pistonne wrote:"Great! I'm glad you decided to come on around,"
    "Obviously I'm Jo and this is my shop, but who are you? I don't think I've seen you around before."

Arro dipped his head as the woman reappeared. "My name's Arrogath, most here call me Arro. I'm still somewhat new being back," he explained, as reason for his anonymity. He glanced around curiously, "Nice store you have... well at least the outside of it," he mused.

The drakon sat and stretched his wings to extend the umbrella of the awning, retrieving one of the papers tucked under his arm.

Jo Pistonne wrote:"Seems fancy,"
    "Anyway, what can I do you for?"
    "Looking for something special?"

"I'd like to commission a blade actually, unless you already have something like this for sale," he unfolded the scrap of canvas and passed it to Jo. The other papers consisted of more measurements.

"This is a Kvauverrhel, a kind of cleaver for punching into and smashing metal. It's worn over the tail."
    Arro wasn't what he'd call and artist. He hoped his scribblings would suffice.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Arrogath? "Nice to meet you, Arro!" Yes, this was the dragon Big Z had known back in the day. Lots of fond memories, apparently. Also lots of antagonistic rivalry, too. "Thanks," she said in response to his compliment. "It's not much, but I like to keep my establishments humble and modest. Now, what's this commission about?" Ah, he wanted a blade! But not just any old blade... Jo received the paper just fine, holding it carefully by the edges for fear of crumpling it. "So you want something that can cleave and smash things..." No kill like overkill, as someone dear to her once said. "Yeah, shouldn't be too hard to make," she said after assessing the measurements. Just required some decent metals and a little tough love, is all.

Jo rolled the parchment up and tucked it neatly underneath an arm. "Alright, it's doable. Do you have any allergies that I need to be aware of? Would you prefer lighter or heavier metals, and such?" Pretty basic questions than any decent mechanic ought to ask. "Lastly, how would you like this delivered to you? We do personal deliveries now." Thank you, fast-footed aliens. "There's also the matter of payment, but we can forgo that until later if you wish."

So Arro, any questions on your behalf?
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 am

"So you want something that can cleave and smash things... Yeah, shouldn't be too hard to make."

He nodded briskly, his ears erect. "Sik... I fight with the weapons I was born with, and they serve me well. But fire, ivory and keratin only go so far depending on the enemy. This is for those occasional special exceptions. Mechanized constructs, and the heavily armoured," he explained. Something to level the playing field should anything massively tough rear its ugly head. His thoughts drifted to hazy memories of the Portal Z and Dr. Doomsday fiascos. He shouldn't need to use this for regular sparring.

"Alright, it's doable. Do you have any allergies that I need to be aware of? Would you prefer lighter or heavier metals, and such?"

"Nok" he answered, with a small shake of his head. At least none he knew of. But he'd had plenty of contact with anything he imagined Jo would need to use. He bent low to lay down in an inventive way, his wings folded under his body, allowing him to use them as arm rests, so he could speak to the mechanic on her level. As for metals, "Whatever you think would best fulfill it's requirements." His tail was strong and stiff, he wagered he could carry the blade however heavy.

"Lastly, how would you like this delivered to you? We do personal deliveries now. There's also the matter of payment, but we can forgo that until later if you wish."

"I will pick it up, I live out of the way, in a sheer cliff-face in the mountains out-of-the-way." As for payment. "I have three hundred of these chips," he'd forgotten the name of the currency. "If it's not enough I could pay the rest when it's finished." He had no use for money other than this. He wasn't even sure where or when he'd acquired this much of it. One day while fishing in his satchel he had felt something smooth and flat, they just seemed to accumulate from there. Everyday he checked there were more.

Last edited by Arro on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Ah, so Arro was looking to adapt on a few things. She couldn't blame him. As folks said: if you don't accommodate yourself on Portal Breach, then you risked the chance of falling behind and becoming vulnerable. It was a Raenok-eat-Raenok world, man. Jo's work will become easier knowing that the dragon wasn't allergic to anything -- at least that he knew off. A good start! "Alright, I'll see what metals I can arrange for you. I have a small supply already at my shop that can do the job just fine." Hmm, the mechanic will also have to venture out and find more to keep her stock bountiful but that shall come much later. "You live all the way out there, huh?" Her latest employee could make the trek within a day, but Arro preferred flying on down. She saw no reason to object any further. "In that case..." Jo unfurled the parchment to study the designs again, calculating. "In that case, give us five business days," she said with a nod. "It'll be done by then."

Regarding the payment, Arro had... coins. Huh, Jo had thought those were out of circulation by now. Remnants of an older system far gone? "Hmm, this place uses credits now; they're flat and plastic, like a square poker chip." But maybe she could exchange the coins for credits? It was probably worth a shot, so the mechanic agreed to Arro's form of payment. "300PB sounds good. You can pay now or later, or even half up front and the rest once the product is in your hands." It's not like Arro didn't seem like a dragon of his word.

What will he choose?
    Arro
    Champion of the Ss'ruul
    Champion of the Ss'ruul

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Health Bar:
    570/570  (570/570)
    Stamina Bar:
    104/104  (104/104)

Post by Arro on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Five days? Shiny!

"Hmm, this place uses credits now; they're flat and plastic, like a square poker chip. 300PB sounds good. You can pay now or later, or even half up front and the rest once the product is in your hands."

More good news. The drakon fingered one of the self same token's in his pack. He retrieved the small parcel as Jo spoke, exposing a few of what indeed turned out to be credits.

"It doesn't matter to me either way. Besides, I'm sure you'll get more use out of it than I," he answered, passing her a plump suede drawstring purse, along with the rest of his papers. He was certain Jo's estimate was solid. You didn't run a successful business otherwise. He was already excited, his own Kvauverrhel had been lost long ago. It would be good having something from home again.

"Thanks Jo. It was great meeting you."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

One of her easier business transactions, Jo internally admitted.

She took the hefty drawstring purse and papers with little question, figuring that Arro knew better than to sleight her. "Alrighty, come back in five business days," she reiterated. That should be a Saturday, which was the normal half-day here at the shop. The tail blade will most likely be finished on Thursday, with some final touching ups perfected by Friday night. The extra time was just to make sure that the client's product was in tip-top shape! "See you around, Arro. It was nice to finally make your acquaintance!" When the dragon left it was back to business, Jo already making way for the downstairs while giving the rolled papers in her gloved hand an excited wave. "We have a commission~!" she happily said. "And it's already paid in full, too!"

"Oh? What is it this time? Not another questionable device, I hope."

Jo went "Pfft~!" and walked past her employee, laying out Arro's schematic upon a nearby workbench. "Nothing like that, Big Z," she clarified. "We get to make a tail blade for your dragon pal, Arro!"

"...I wouldn't say we're pals, necessarily."

"Picky, picky. Customer, then~!" Jo tapped at the sprawled design and already knew what to do. "What metals do we currently have in stock?" she asked. C'mon, Mr. Inventory, tell her what ya got!

"Copper, nickel, tin, bronze, iron, steel, a bit of gold..."

Hmm... Jo shook her head, displeased with that selection. "Nah, too common and not very sturdy. What kind of metals do we have for, say, combat purposes?" That certainly earned her a concerned look, but don't blame her! Look at the paper -- there was a blade on it. "It's for... self-defense?" the mechanic hesitantly shrugged.

"Riiiiiiiight..." New employees, always testing the waters. "Well, in that case we do have titanium, tungsten, and a portion of teryllium leftov -- ?"

"That's it! We'll use teryllium!" Her mind has been made.

"...You do realize how rare teryllium is, right? I mean, it's not like you can mine it anywhere."

Jo just dismissed all of his doubting with a hand, walking away. "Yeah, yeah; forged with the power of a star and super-compressed enough to make even diamonds shatter. We make only the best, so Arro is going to get the~?"

A long sigh. "...the best."

"Bingo." She then stood at the basement forge and wore an eager, if not sinister, grin. "Alright, Big Z; let's get her all fired up!" This was going to be a very productive five days~!

Time: 12:00 p.m.
    Date: December 22, 2012

Behold, the finished product!

((All done! I don't think we need to have another thread where Arro stops by to pick up his blade; implying is all right with me. To pay for this service, this just follow the instructions and make a thread here! Also, used Big Z's character with permission.))

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am