650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

The Feeling is Mutual

Post by Zurg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 am

Time: Afternoon - 12:30 PBT
    Date: May 26th, 0003

"Thank you and have a great day!"

Hear that? That was the sound of lunch time - a magical time where everyone came out to feed and fill up their squelching food sacks (see, can dig Alternian lingo, too). The lunch crowd was out and about around the sunny sidewalks of Portal Breach, and many of the citizens were cheerful about their business. Sure, there were some grumps but when it came time to eat? Hey, you didn't hear them; they were too busy stuffing their faces.

That's why Zurg liked this hour the best - besides bedtime, of course.

Amid the clatter of noisy eating utensils and patrons chatting their lives away, the monarch stepped out of a familiar authentic restaurant, Los Portales. In his hand he carried a simple white bag, the bottom of it fattened up with something no doubt tasty to eat. It wasn't for him, though. Zurg wasn't really fond of eating oblong-shaped foods; it was kind of embarrassing for his, er, physiological issues. The surprise was actually for Jo, the mechanic not too far away by foot. Why did he buy this for her? Well, to give her something she liked to eat! Oh, and to bring a smile upon her face, naturally. Inside the bag was a burrito - one of those filled with carnita meat, sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. The alien didn't really know all the particulars about it, but Jo liked these overstuffed things and that was enough for him. A great Saturday treat, no?

And thus, with quest and quest item on-hand, Zurg briefly paused to stop at a cross light and he patiently waited for the little green walking man to appear across the street. While he did so, however, the alien simply closed his eyes and wiggled his purple bare toes upon the warmed cement of the sidewalk.

"Not too long now..." Was he expecting someone?

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 46

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Re: The Feeling is Mutual

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 am

Another creature liked this hour as well, and for very much the same reason. People were too busy going about their business to really notice anything that seemed terribly amiss, and most did not think to look past the most simple of guises. That is, unless they happened to be interacting exclusively with them. Hidden within the darkness of an alley, there was a dull, iridescent shimmer upon the wall of a building, runes humming faintly with energy. Looking down the alley, one may find that nothing else seemed amiss other than the strange diagram that had been crudely carved into the brickwork, the usual dumpsters and the like sitting up against the twin buildings, even a stray cat meandered through the place, perhaps on the search for food like the rest of the populace.

Under the bustle and noise of the city, however, something did indeed give hint to what lurked there. To the rest of the city, the sounds of rather tired, labored breathing would be lost. And even if it were noticed, many would think it belonged to an old creature laying farther down the alley, nothing really worth caring about. And with the way that it sometimes hitched, perhaps it could even be mistaken for a rather old delivery truck, hidden away around a turn.

Either way, something was down there.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:26 pm

What? Don't you know the first rule about dark, creepy-sounding alleys?

Zurg happily crossed the street without managing to get squashed into an overripe berry, and the monarch made his way further down the sidewalk. No, he wasn't too keen on heading down into something potentially life-threatening, but you know how it goes... The ruler casually finished the next step in his walk and then... he stopped. Just like that - body in the motion and everything. It was like the alien had been frozen in time. Of course that was absurd. Who would freeze him in time, let alone this one?

Beating.

Near.

Left.

And so the monarch abruptly went left, feet taking him to a little detour out of his day. It wasn't anything ridiculously far or something of that silly nature, but it was an area the alien wasn't really... looking forward to. Less people around, for one. And the walls smelled like urine, secondly... Still, Zurg went down this way and when he came to a rather spooky, ominous alley in question? He stopped right where the light met the shadows and he didn't think to take another step forward after that.

"Prixlezub," the monarch addressed casually. "I thought I caught wind of your stench in the city." As well as the loud thudding of your beating heart. Or... whatever it was that you had for a beating heart.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Well, well... Look who had decided to follow their nose. The inhabitant of that certain alleyway stayed still, trying to silence their breathing despite the fact that it was something else entirely the alien was following. Both the creature's mind and body tensed in anticipation, trying to figure out just who had decided to come down this way. Perhaps it may have been a bum, a stray animal, he thought. However, that nagging feeling in the back of his mind told him otherwise. No, this one smelled different. It smelled too familiar to be just another passerby, though the demon could not exactly put a talon on just who it was. The most obvious was the burrito in the bag, then the smell of cats...? Strange, though the demon overlooked it for another scent. Smokey ash. Not exactly what the demon had in mind for his visitor, as most were more... robust. The demon could hardly find a trace of natural odor or musk, and not a twinge of perfume either.

Now who could this be.

As the alien rounded the corner to the alley that so cleverly hid the demon, he tensed, more out of pain from the shaming mark upon his arm than from any fear. It apparently had decided that now was the best of times to flare up again, fiery blood trickling down from the wound beneath his armor. The prince narrowed his eyes at the robed man in front of him, smoke curling from his grill as he heard that name, his name. How did this stranger know his name? And more importantly, how did they know he was there? To anyone else in the city, the alley would seem quite barren, and he glanced about to check if there may have been a flaw with his diagram. Upon finding that there was indeed nothing amiss with his cloaking abilities, Prixlezub kept his gaze upon the man in front of him, then glanced past him, as if to ensure something.

Shifting his weight, the demon quickly arced his tail around the monarch, the serrated blade obscured from his vision, along with the nasty array of spikes that traveled down his tail.

BAM!

The concrete around the monarch split and raised, dust billowing up from the broken stone. However, none of the damage seemed to be aimed at him, despite the display. In front of Zurg, he would find that nothing had changed about the alley, the darkness staying just as silent as before he had taken his detour.

"Identify yourself." A voice rumbled in the deep, shaking the air.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey, Zurg liked his furry babies, Shalti and Homo. They just... tended to make a pin cushion out of his skin and shed all over his robes. Always. Such was the love and patience required for owning cats. And speaking of patience... The monarch found it very interesting that Prixlezub could not outright tell who he was. Memory troubles or vision? "You know, you might want to get that checked." A helpful suggestion, was all. Oh, and -

BAM!

Suddenly dust. Suddenly dust everywhere.

Not amused, Zurg fanned the particle cloud away and he momentarily glanced down to see the destruction around him. "Well, it's good to see you, too." Nothing said 'hello' like smashing your tail around the person. Must be a demon thing. Regardless, Zurg picked his eyes back up and listened to those rumbling words. "You're going to make me really do this, aren't you?" With a sigh and not bothering to wait for a response, the alien cleared his throat and shifted tones.

"Gee, Prixlezub. I don't think we want to waste our hard-earned tax dollars fixing your mess, now, do we?" And he even did it while flamboyantly gesturing with both hand and hip.

That painful display over, Zurg reclaimed his flat expression and grumbled, "And if you don't remember by now then you're SoL, pal."

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Noticing how the man did not flinch or act the least bit surprised about Prixlezub's rather demonstrative warning, he watched warily as the figure continued on. He was no mere gutsy passerby after all, as he knew most would usually have the sense to cower or even try to run. The demon's brow furrowed, the two most important of his senses befuddled by Zurg's change in demeanor and style. he no longer smelled of his factories, and he hardly sounded or acted like the brazen emperor that he fought with in the past. Though at the same time, this person seemed to know him...

Ah, there it was. Upon hearing the familiar, loud dual toned voice, the prince was given enough reassurance that it was indeed Zurg. And inwardly, it made the demon wonder just what happened to his rival. He seemed quieter, and certainly more aware of what seemed to not be there, at least in the prince's mind. Glancing down, the demon tilted his head at the alien's lack of footwear, something that also was quite different for the alien. Even with the alien's jibes at his apparent lack of memory, the demon stayed silent, as if in contemplation.

"So it is you." He rumbled finally, uncurling his tail from around the other's space. "I did not think you the type to go poking your head into dark alleys, Zurg. Especially without shoes." The demon remarked observantly.

Reaching out a claw, the prince raked the metallic talons over the cloaking runes, effectively removing them from the side of the building in a spray of sparks. The guise flickered before fading away, revealing a rather sorry looking pile of scrap sitting nearly flush within the confines of the alleyway. The blackened, burned metal groaned and shrieked painfully as the demon uncurled, his head lowering to look the monarch in the eye. Instead of seeing anything resembling his rival, the man would find himself face to face with a rather thick helm, pinkish, sickly eyes staring out from behind the protective grating.

"How did you know where to find me? No, actually, why did you come here? I figured you would not reply to my message." He inquired, and also gave yet another clue to his state to Zurg. The prince's breath, as he would soon find, was thick with the stench of his own blood. Though that would be evident enough with the drips he would see leaking from beneath the helm, and from other areas of the armor as well.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:14 pm

"Hmph..." Instead of immediately replying, the monarch fetched something out from his robes.

Dink!

A small, faceted stone pelted itself pathetically against the bigger demon's sorry face, leaving Zurg to inaudibly grumble something before actually responding. "I only took this detour to return your incessant messenger," he stated honestly. The damned thing had been absolutely annoying and the alien wanted no such thing near him. "The next time you want to contact me then do what everyone else does - use a letter for crying out loud." Because waking up the alien in the middle of the night was bound to induce irritability in the weary man. And if Prixlezub couldn't use paper? "You have magic; I'm sure you can get one of your summons to write an elegant note or two."

Of course, Zurg wasn't here to talk about such frivolous things. He was here to rip this band-aid off and get on with his life. "As much as your breath smells of decay, I only need one sense to find you." And being barefoot aided this trait. Not like the alien was going to necessarily elaborate on this, however.

Not bothered at all that Prixlezub was only a fraction of what he once was, the monarch showed no ounce of fear or regret. "Now, what is this about?" he demanded. "Why are you hounding me? If this is about the past, then it has already been done. There is nothing I can do for you."

Zurg just wanted to make that perfectly clear before anything took off in this ill-gotten conversation.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:56 pm

The prince gave a rather flat face at seeing his own enchanted pebble thrown at him, not really seeming to care that the alien was irked at his means of communication. It got his attention didn't it? had he just sent a simple note, Prixlezub had figured the alien would have probably crumpled it up the moment he saw who it was from. The little, annoying rock on the other hand... Not as easy to ignore. Despite the rude gesture, the demon gave a low, gurgling chuckle, a few plumes of smoke trailing from his grill at the action.

"That was the entire point of sending my Kal'nghaa sl'khgt. You probably would have ignored my message otherwise." He stated, taking the stone in his claw and grinding it up within his grip. "Also, no thanks to your little partnership with my wife, I am unable to summon anything for that sort of usage. I am not a damn miraculous beast that lays eggs of the finest gold! My banishment should have been testament enough for you." He snorted incredulously.

He knew perfectly well what the alien meant by the past, staying silent for a moment before puffing smoke from his grill in a short sigh. Placing a claw upon his helm, the demon rumbled and shook his head. "No, no... I could care less about that organ. Besides, there are other ways of obtaining it than through you." He admitted sullenly, before feeling a hitch in his chest. Closing his mouth, the demon sputtered, turning his head away from the alien as he went into a coughing fit, blood splattered in thick clots upon the ground. "Ahuagh-hhk hkk... In fact, I don't even need it." He snarled, wiping the remnants of his apparent wounds from his mouth.

"Aghurr... I have not come to talk to you about my state or to bargain for what I have lost." He rumbled, resting his head upon his plated claws. "I need to ask you about Layla. Or more, what had driven you to so foolishly work with her. Yes, the banishment was needed, I understand that now. But really, Zurg, what made you think that following her was the best choice?" He questioned, before realizing just how stupid that sounded and shook his head again. "And don't say it was about arrogance, I already know that perfectly well already." He added quickly, sparks puffing from his maw with each word.

"The point is, I don't know what she told you, or if you had more of a hand in her decision than she had." He explained, his dull eyes glancing downwards. "I just want to fix this. I want her to see that I'm... Different, now."

He silenced after that, brow furrowed in flustered reflection. How could he make things right if she was unwilling to even look at him?
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:24 pm

"Gold is a useless metal; I'd only put it within computers or simple machines." What use did Zurg have for gold?

And talk to the monarch about Layla? Really? "I am not a damn miraculous beast, Prixlezub," mocked the alien sarcastically. Yes, he still had it don't think he didn't. "I can be many things, but a marriage counselor I am not." Because, really; what business did Zurg have in that? He had ninety-nine problems but a wife wasn't one. "The only fool I see is you," Zurg retorted right on back. "And I'm not about to tell you my business dealings; that would be a conflict of interest. Not exactly healthy for my notorious reputation, you understand." A useless detour this was turning out to be.

An annoying rock and now wasting his time? Jo's lunchtime would seen be over and her food would be lukewarm.

"I don't need to explain anything to you," the ruler remarked irritably. Get back his organ... Right. Zurg wanted to see the demon actually break into the subspace pocket the alien had created to fetch it. Hah! Prixlezub would only lose an arm in the process. No, the nimrod wouldn't be getting anything without the aid of the monarch.

Working as intended.

"It's too late, Prixlezub. You messed up. There's no Oops, Reset button for the universe." And if there was, Zurg would be the first person to have it. Maybe even the first to use it. Big Bang? Hah, bring it. The alien only shook his head and turned around, starting to walk away. "If you want to fix it, then you have to sort this out on your own. I'm no sage or spirit guide for you; there's no manual, either." So what could the demon do, then? Maybe the ruler knew something, but he wasn't about to spill it. Loose lips sink ships and all that.

Instead, once Zurg reached the sidewalk and away from the demon's poor state, he turned his head and issued one last thing. "You have two paths to take," he said sternly. "Before you lies the best path and the right path. You may only choose one, and you must choose wisely." What did that mean? Zurg didn't stay long to elaborate.

"Good day to you, Prixlezub," the monarch said as he tipped an invisible top hat to the demon. "The universe will right itself, and when it does... I hope you know when to take a hint. Farewell." And he was gone. Gone to give Jo her lunch and to rid himself of this entire fiasco.

The universe will right itself.

Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, if that was the case, the demon certainly knew when to take a hint. Before the monarch could even finish what he had to say, Prixlezub figured that the alien would do just as he thought he would. And so, the prince made his own choice. He got up from where he sat in the alley, stepping over the monarch as he passed him by. Whatever the alien had to say about him, he had already heard from Layla when he had been banished. Though, before he left the alien, he turned about, smoke puffing from his grill.

"I doubt even you can make a business deal with the forces I will seek." He rumbled over the sounds of the city. "Your culture would probably find it taboo anyways..." He puffed to himself, walking off.

The demon did not linger too long on his rather short reaquaintance with the purple alien, already moving on to the next hurtle he would have to jump. And he would jump it even if it killed him.

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 am