Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Visions? Voices? I'm a robot, not a clairvoyant!

Lawrence

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Visions? Voices? I'm a robot, not a clairvoyant!

Post by Lawrence on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 am

When Impa held her hand out for him, Lawrence couldn't help but reach for it, grasping it tightly with both hands. After a moment he loosened his grip a little, but did not let go. His hands would have seemed cold at first, though after a few seconds the Sheikah would feel a subtle warmth there, generated by the inner workings beneath the metal shell.

Impa's simple gesture did wonders for the butler's mental state, allowing him to steadily calm down. Her words bolstered his inner strength as well, and he remarked as such. "Yes, you're right . . . I am still in control of myself now, therefore I should do all I can to remain so. Perhaps this dream was a warning, not that the events within it would take place, but that my resolve would soon be tested. It has faltered once during my stay here; never again. Nothing will break my loyalty to them, whatever might be responsible for the state of the world will have to learn that just as every other enemy of mine has."

He let go of the Sheikah's hand then, once again feeling strong enough to not need that support so desperately. "That voice may say what it wishes, but it will not convince me to attack those I care about."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:28 pm

When Lawrence clasped Impa's outstretched hand tightly, she held it steady, hoping to transfer some of her confidence to him in addition to the comfort she hoped she was providing. Her intentions seemed to be coming ever more true even as he loosened his grip just slightly, and the Sheikah was very glad that she was able to help her friend so with the simple gesture. His grip did bear the familiar coolness of his metal frame at first, but mere moments later, she as able to feel the subtle warmth in his grip. She knew that it was generated by his inner workings and that that was normal for him, but she was still glad to be able to feel it and to confirm that he was able to get feeling quite a bit better. He might have still needed some support, but he already appeared a sight better than when she had first seen him downstairs.

Impa listened and let her hand drop back to her lap as Lawrence spoke, smiling softly and nodding to him when he agreed with her words, that he was in control of himself and that he intended to do all he could to remain that way. As he explained what he felt the dream might have meant, she nodded again to convey that that was a very likely interpretation, and when he made his declaration that nothing would break his loyalty to the two most important people in his life, Impa's smile broadened. Now that sounded much more like the Lawrence she knew, troubling voice in his head or not.

When he let go of her hand, the Sage of Shadow waited a couple of moments before stating, "That is the best mindset to have in all of this, and it goes well with your great strategy. You have more than enough strength within you to stand up and defy it, and I promise that you will not be alone in this. I will be by your side to help make certain that your resolve stands where you have placed it."
    Zelda/Sheik
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zelda/Sheik on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Sheik couldn't help but smile as Lawrence took Impa's offered hand, soon noting that him having grasped it seemed to already be having a very positive effect with regards to calming him down and helping him find his own inner strength again. She nodded slightly as he spoke again, making a determined statement to remain in control of himself, be prepared to face down whatever warning his prophetic dream held for him, and to hold fast to his loyalty to Jo and Zurg. The disguised princess might not have really known either of them yet, but they were special to the butler, and that alone steeled her own resolve to give her support to Lawrence as they all sought to right whatever was happening to the Breach. Whilst her own prophetic dreams had always come true, Sheik hoped that Lawrence would be able to overcome his, and she was prepared to help him much the same as Impa was with her own words just now.

"I agree with Impa… and please know that you have my support as well," said Sheik, holding up a clenched fist to prove her determination to help her friend whilst resolving whatever had affected the world. "I am confident that you will have the courage to conquer that voice, and we will help bolster it if we can."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Both of the Sheikah offered their support if need be, for which Lawrence was especially grateful. Even if he wasn't as close to Impa and Sheik as he was to Jo and Zurg, it was still nice to know they would also be there for him. It showed in his expression and his voice as he nodded back to them, smiling faintly. "Thank you, both of you. My will is quite strong, but even it can struggle at times . . . I appreciate your support more than you can know. Between the two of you, as well as Jo and Proxy, I believe I will be able to weather this."

Yes, he could still hear the static, as well as the whispering voice, but it did not seem to bother him as much.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Impa returned Lawrence's faint smile with a soft one of her own, glad to see that his expression and overall state of mind had relaxed significantly since he had come to see her. He wasn't fully back to himself, but this was a marked improvement… hopefully that would help him to weather the storm that was just about to hit.

"You're very welcome, Lawrence," stated Impa, nodding slightly to him. "It is something that everyone with a strong will can encounter… and sometimes those of us with the strongest wills are the ones that feel that potential for struggle the hardest. It is because our resolve is so set that something that threatens to shake it affects us so deeply… even though we won't budge from it, it is that much a part of us that we feel it."

Nodding in agreement with Impa's assessment regarding strong wills, Sheik smiled slightly and added, "I believe you'll be able to weather it too. We know you can."

"He's right… and yes, all four of us will see to it that you do. You can count on that."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 am

Lawrence's smile became a bit more apparent at the affirmation of their support, glad that the two Sheikah would also be there for him. As for Impa's view of the situation, he really hadn't thought of it quite that way. "So, you're saying that because I am so strong-willed, I react that much more quickly to something that may threaten it? Well, I suppose this could be considered part of my survival protocols, and those are always set to respond immediately to any threats."

He started to stand, then, looking to both of the Sheikah. "Again, thank you both. I feel much better now that we've talked, better enough to get on with the rest of my day. It's not much lately; just cleaning Jo's home or occasionally the Chop Shop, and preparing meals for her. At least it is something, though. I'm not sure how well I would handle having nothing to do."

No, this butler didn't exactly know the meaning of the word 'vacation', though with not much else to do he was having to start figuring out how to use his free time. It was difficult at first, but now Jo or Proxy could sometimes catch him playing a vidgame or reading a book in an off moment. He was dealing with that, much as he would have to deal with this blasted static until someone found the source.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Sat May 12, 2012 3:33 am

Impa was glad to see Lawrence's smile grow further, and as he expanded upon one of the points she had made, the Sheikah nodded in agreement to him. "That could be entirely possible. Considering both those protocols as well as your own strong personality, it seems to me that you are very right."

She still understood instincts far better than programming, but in the year that she had been on the Breach, Impa had learned quite a few things about robots. She was no expert on them by any means, but between her friendship with Lawrence and some of what her innate curiosity had led her to research at the library, she knew enough to understand what he meant here.

As for Sheik, she might have been relatively newer to the world, but survival protocols sounded close enough to survival instincts to her, so both Impa's idea and Lawrence's interpretation made sense. Regardless, she as just glad to see that Lawrence was doing far better from when he had first dropped by to visit. Now if only she could say the same for herself and the other Hyruleans considering the happenings of late…

When Lawrence started to stand, Impa stood herself, nodding once more at the butler's thanks. She smiled a bit both at his statement that he felt that much better and at his description of what he'd been up to lately. "It was not a problem at all… I am just glad that you're feeling better. As for those tasks, they might not seem like much, but they are something… and even the smaller, more mundane things in our days can hold special meaning. if nothing else, I know that each one means a lot to Jo."

Sheik had nodded to show her agreement with Impa that helping Lawrence out was no trouble, and she soon added, "Yeah… just be sure to take care, okay? We will all make it through whatever is at hand."

"Indeed we will," stated Impa, nodding to Sheik. As Lawrence fully stood and seemed ready to depart, she glanced back to the butler and waited a moment before adding, "Come, I will see you downstairs… I'll be back soon, Sheik."

"Of course, Impa… Lawrence, be well." Sheik returned Impa's nod and smiled once more to the butler before he was set to leave.

At that, Impa moved to open the door for Lawrence so that the two of them could return downstairs. Something strange was definitely happening across the entire Breach, but somehow, the Sage of Shadow and disguised princess knew that they could all make it through this.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 pm

"I will try my best, Sheik. Farewell, and I do hope you feel better soon." Lawrence waved to the young Sheikah briefly before heading out the door Impa held open for him. He waited for her to join him in the hallway, then headed for the elevator, still not quite feeling like taking the stairs.

As the elevator headed toward the ground floor, the butler glanced at Impa, still seeming very grateful indeed. "Again, thank you for listening to me. I could not speak to Jo of this, not given the nature of the dream . . . surely it would frighten her away, and that-- I can scarcely bear the thought of it even now."

Lawrence fidgeted a little. "I-- I know she's stronger than that, she likely wouldn't let something like that affect her feelings, but my old fears just saw fit to haunt me. At least I've gotten better about it than I was; there was a time not long ago where I wouldn't have talked to anyone about this." More fidgeting when he realized how much he was going on. "Oh my, I seem to be rambling just a bit..."

Thankfully he was saved by the bell as the elevator dinged, the doors opening since they'd reached ground level. "Well, here we are, I suppose. You should get back to caring for Sheik; I'll be fine for now."
    Zelda/Sheik
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zelda/Sheik on Wed May 16, 2012 7:10 am

"Thank you… farewell," said Sheik, nodding to Lawrence and returning his wave as he left. Once the butler was out the door, she shared a glance with Impa and nodded to her guardian to signal that she would be okay for now. The Sheikah waited a moment before returning the nod and smiling softly to her charge, right before turning to leave and close the door. She fully trusted that the disguised princess would be all right, but even though she would only be gone for a couple of minutes, considering the strange feeling that everyone was getting, she had wanted to make extra certain.

After Impa had closed the door, Zelda effectively flopped backwards onto the couch, just lying there dazedly as she tried to get her head feeling close enough to normal again. The cloth around her neck had been down all morning, and now she also saw fit to carefully lift up the wrapped cloth that she usually wore on top of her head. Slowly pulling it away and setting it on the armrest of the couch, Zelda turned over and grabbed the pillow she had been using earlier. She sighed to herself as she closed her eyes and got situated, soon trying to settle her thoughts even though they kept coming back to the fore.

Just what was happening here? Lawrence was hearing incessant static and voices in his head, Impa felt kind of off, and she herself felt even worse from all of this. In a way, it was a little bit of a relief to confirm that the Breach was being affected as a whole ... with this, they at least had an idea that it was a widespread thing. At the same time however, it only led to the confounding nature of what was starting to unfold. Between the stale air, the mysterious and sudden lack of appeal in food, the effects being felt by both organics and robots, and the ominous feeling that permeated everything, it was bound to be something unpleasant. Hopefully though, they could figure out what it was and reverse it before it was too late.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 pm

After checking to make certain that Sheik would be all right, Impa closed the door to their room and followed after Lawrence in the hallway. She headed to the elevator with him, not minding taking it again, especially if it helped keep him in a more comfortable state.

As the lift began its short descent back to the ground floor, the Sheikah turned to the butler at his glance. She listened carefully to his words, smiling softly at his thanks and hoping that he would continue to feel relatively okay. Impa's eyebrows shifted to sympathetic look as he fidgeted somewhat, and when he noted that he felt he was rambling, she simply lifted her hand and shook her head slightly, hoping to infer that he was all right.

"It is never any trouble for me to listen, Lawrence. Despite Jo's strength, I can understand that fear… you care for her a great deal and as such you want to do everything you can to keep her safe. Even if that means keeping something to yourself or at least from her, it is done out of love, not selfishness. … … … That is just as admirable as the fact that you now feel able to talk about such things. You have done well on that… and as your friend, I will always listen if you need to talk."

Once the duo arrived at the ground level, Impa shifted her gaze to the open lobby for a moment before turning back to Lawrence, nodding to him once again. "All right then. I trust you will be, but do take care regardless."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat May 19, 2012 8:05 am

Lawrence was glad Impa understood, he truly was. He hadn't felt this kind of fear in quite a long time. While he was proud of himself for being capable of feeling it again, that he managed to get attached enough to someone to care that much, that didn't make it any less scary. Having someone that understood his reasons for keeping silent was very much a comfort. And yes, this was out of love, he saw it truly now . . . Jo had enough to deal with worrying about Zurg, hearing of that dream wouldn't help matters.

Once they got to the lobby, it was time for the two friends to part ways. Lawrence even went so far as to bow to Impa slightly, that was just how grateful he was. "I cannot thank you enough, Impa. I will try my best to take care, given the circumstances, and I can only hope you and Sheik can do the same. Farewell for now, my friend."

The butler headed for the exit, in somewhat better shape than he had the last time he passed through those doors.

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm