Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Drifting Aimlessly (tag: Zurg, those with permission)

Lawrence

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Drifting Aimlessly (tag: Zurg, those with permission)

Post by Lawrence on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Yes, this was one of the things Lawrence was expecting, shockingly enough. That certainly didn't mean he wanted to hear it, though. His optics slid closed as he tried to keep his emotions under control, somehow managing to keep himself from showing any other signs of his distress. When he opened them again and glanced up at Zurg, he looked miserable. "So, this is it, then? You're just going to give yourself to whatever this is, without even trying to find another way, and then we will undoubtedly never see you again? No, I refuse to accept this. I thought I would never find another master I cared for as much as I did for the commander, so don't expect me to just let you go with nary a protest."

He paused for a moment, accessing his wireless functions and quickly sending a message addressed to Proxy out into the extranet. "I have just notified Proxy of our location and what you're intending to do. I can't imagine he won't tell Jo about this . . ."

Oh yes, going into open defiance now, but Lawrence just couldn't let this happen without a fight. He didn't fancy his chances if this turned into a actual fight, but he would defend himself if need be.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:00 am

Ah, Lawrence, you truly did wear your heart upon your sleeve to the right person. But it seemed the robot had the wrong assumption, and the Evil Emperor only shook his head in slight sorrow. "I have already been defeated, Lawrence. That is why I must go. It is you I care enough about to come down from Planet Z and warn." But he was touched, to say the least. In fact, more than touched. After all, no minion ever in Zurg's forced employ had ever expressed such genuine concern on his behalf before. Ironically, both minion and master looked miserable and they were well-suited for one another.

And Lawrence contacted Proxy, did he? That got the villain to smile and he pulled his head back, giving out a little, exhausted chuckle. "Oh, Lawrence... Oh, Lawrence, Lawrence... The very fact that you went against me just makes me so... happy inside. You can't even begin to imagine." Bringing his head back down, there was that same smile but his eyes portrayed fatigued and he glanced back at his friend. "It makes me so angry inside, however. I feel so useless because I won't be able to protect those I care for. I can't; not with my last bond nearly severed. If she goes, then I will not survive the cutoff. We were never meant to be abandoned." This was perhaps all gibberish to the butler, and Zurg could not clarify any closer.

Instead he sighed, and the tyrant shook his head a second time. "I don't know what to do, Lawrence. I just don't... I can't be in two places at once, and I can't attend to two pieces of my heart at once. I can't even keep up my typical Evil Emperor persona. I am at my wit's end." And he said this all very calmly, very quietly.

Would there ever be an answer to what he sought solved? Maybe, maybe not. The best he could do was remain silent, and the alien at last rose up to stand. "You can call Proxy to apprehend me, but it will do you no good. The threat is coming here, not on Planet Z. I have already failed. Everything else... rests on your shoulders, Lawrence, the citizens of Portal Breach. I have already done my part by preparing you as subtly as I could."

Well, this might change everything.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:22 am

Lawrence stood as well, confusion making its way onto his features. The Evil Emperor had already failed? What did that even mean? And this 'she' he kept mentioning, what was Zurg talking about there? It was all so frustratingly strange, and he couldn't help but give voice to his confusion. "I do not understand. What have you failed to do? Who is that 'she' you keep bringing up? If I knew what you were speaking of, I could calculate some way to help, I'm sure of it."

Again the butler found himself reaching for Zurg's hand, even though he was well aware the Emperor would probably pull away in the next few moments. "Even if I'm not entirely certain of what exactly is going on here, I do know you don't have to be alone in trying to deal with this." A small part of him hated himself for what he was about to say, given that made him as bad as Zurg in regards to this. "We can still keep Jo out of this if we leave before Proxy arrives. You and I could face this threat together, the others don't have to be involved."

Oh yes, minion and master were quite a matched pair indeed . . . once this butler put his mind to something, it was very difficult to dissuade him.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:06 am

And Lawrence would never understand. No one would ever understand. How could they? They were outsiders, X'kthuluukmami. They didn't possess the connection he felt. To tell an outsider the most cherished of secrets was an act of high heresy, but at this point... Zurg was already long forgotten by his people's ways. Or rather, it was he who had long forgotten them. "You outsiders, who build your world with artificial skin. Long have you denounced the will of the Cosmos. The 'she' that I refer to is my Mother, and now my Mother grows silent, cold. X'rghthung cannot sustain herself any longer if I am not there to tend her wounds. I have failed her all these years, and the time has come to make it right. No outsider can help my repentance." Contrary to Lawrence's thoughts, Zurg did not pull away and he sought the robot's hands like a friend did to their good companion.

"I must be alone in the reparation of my world, but you must remain here, Lawrence. Portal Breach is still young, new. He doesn't understand the will and he cries because he is now lost." Zurg didn't pressure Lawrence to comprehend the X'rghthu way; he only asked that his friend accept and let the alien go. And even as the alien remained removed from his world, the longer Zurg kept his feet on foreign soil the more fatigued and worn he appeared. He would not be able to last long on Portal Breach even if he wanted to. The connection was simply too deep. Upon hearing Jo's name mentioned, however, a small glow flickered from his deepening eyes.

Firm, the villain placed a weakening hand upon the butler's shoulder. "No. You must stay here, Lawrence. It is the will of the Cosmos that you stay here and face the threat as it comes. I have no part in it any longer, and that is how it must be." It was their way, and so too was it his. "Inform those you care about, or no one at all. Either way, what will happen will happen. There is no way around that now. Please understand that I cannot be here any longer, and I have already spent more time than I can afford. Will you do this for me, Lawrence?"

Would he?

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:02 am

Understanding dawned in the robot's optics as Zurg spoke, the whole concept sounding so strangely familiar, almost if he heard it in a dream somewhere. X'rghthung had to be Planet Z's true name, and he was honored to learn it. While Lawrence had heard of races that felt so connected to their world they were loathe to leave it, this connection seemed to be a tangible thing, especially given Zurg seeming to look worse and worse the longer he stood there. The explanation was the final piece of the puzzle the butler needed. As much as he hated it, he knew his master could no longer stay on Portal Breach, at least not while Planet Z was in such a fragile state.

Lawrence looked up at Zurg when the alien placed one hand on his shoulder, his gaze quite a sad one, but also somehow accepting. Since they were still standing so close together, the butler took advantage, moving just a step closer and wrapping the Emperor in a tight hug. Ordinarily he would only do this if he, Jo and Zurg were together in the Sanctuary late at night, but given the circumstances he felt it was appropriate. After all, only fate knew if he would ever have the opportunity again...

The butler did not dare hold that embrace for long, knowing very well that Zurg had to leave. Lawrence pulled away, again looking up at his master. There were no tears as his optics weren't made for that, though he was almost wishing they were. His reply was quiet, but surprisingly steady. "Yes, I understand. In return, I ask that you remember this: while you are connected to X'rghthung, I am connected to Time itself. When this is all over, if you still exist in this world's timestream, I will find you again. I promise you that."

That was all Lawrence could bear to look at his master and he glanced away, making a shooing motion. "Please, go. Return to your planet, before I change my mind . . ."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 pm

And in acceptance, both master and minion were allowed to part their ways. Knowing that his most trusted minion understood and would carry out his final order, at least for the time being, the Evil Emperor repaid the act in kind. Not only did he embrace the robot, but he also took a step back and proceeded to do something no Emperor, King, or Grace, for that matter, would have ever done. Zurg bowed, his hands together like in prayer, and he kept his eyes to the ground. "I thank you, Lawrence. Where once I had trusted an outsider and brought upon my own demise, here I am able to reclaim myself and trust yet again." There was something to be said if you managed to get the ruler of an incredibly powerful yet incomprehensible people to show humility for you. Several of the more xenophobic X'rghthu officials would have had Zurg's horn for the sacrilegious act.

"I hear your promise, Lawrence, and I will honour it. Again, we shall meet and when we do, it will be on different terms." As he spoke he had already withdrawn a peculiar blue device, the strange doo-dad shaped very much like a snowflake. Surely that wasn't X'rghthu design, but what did it do? "We will see each other again, I promise you. For now, however, we both must part ways." While the heartbroken minion could barely stand this any longer, the alien knew what would be merciful. Lifting a finger over a trigger upon the device, he addressed the robot one last time. "Farewell, Lawrence. I am already... gone."

Tap. FWOOOOOOOSH!

And in that moment there was no longer an Evil Emperor to stand tall before the robot, but now... a gentle flurry of icy snowflakes. Lawrence's will to time itself would no doubt pick up a discrepancy, but it was brief and rapidly fading, blending in with the proper timestream continuum. If he could see, however, just once what it would be like in a realm where time had stopped, he would have seen his master approach one last time and press his forehead against the butler's in an expression of love and care.

Farewell, Lawrence. They will meet again.

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 pm

When Zurg spoke, Lawrence managed to look at him again, only to see the Evil Emperor bowing. Actually bowing, and to a minion of all people! Although, the butler now knew he held a far more dear place in Zurg's heart. Between that and the words, he felt truly touched that his master thought so highly of him.

It was so very hard to keep his optics on Zurg, but Lawrence managed it somehow, watching as the alien brought out a familiar looking snowflake-shaped device. His Quantum Actuator resonated faintly with the thing, but not to the degree it would if the device was turned on. The butler listened to his master acknowledge the promise he made, and in turn the emperor made one of his own, that they would meet again. There were still no tears from the robot, though if he had them he would've been blinking a few more away.

Finally, Zurg said his farewells, then activated the Chrono-Disruptor, seeming to disappear from Lawrence's sight in a flurry of snowflakes. Then, the strangest thing happened. Rather than shield Lawrence from the effects, his Quantum Actuator synced with the other device, and for the briefest of moments, he stood in the same piece of altered time that his master did. He didn't even notice the world seemed to have stopped, no. The only thing the butler focused on was the alien leaning down, pressing his forehead to his minion's.

Lawrence's optics slid closed in that stolen moment, and he whispered one last thing to the emperor. "Farewell, Zurg . . ." No, not the title, or the real name that he seemed to dislike, but the one his master preferred.

The effect faded in the next instant, leaving the butler standing there alone with his head bowed. He stood there for a good minute before opening his optics and moving again. On glancing around, Lawrence decided this place was now too sacred to allow Proxy to even set foot there. He sent another message, one stating to ignore the previous one, and that he would meet the other robot at Jo's house.

Lawrence took one last look around, then turned and left. There was much to do, and that threat out there somewhere would wait for no one.

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm